Jesus vs Paul

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus vs Paul

"My long-time view about Christianity is that it represents an amalgam of two seemingly immiscible parts--the religion of Jesus and the religion of Paul. Thomas Jefferson attempted to excise the Pauline parts of the New Testament. There wasn't much left when he was done, but it was an inspiring document." (Letter to Ken Schei [author of Christianity Betrayed and An Atheists for Jesus]) - Carl Sagan

"Where possible Paul avoids quoting the teaching of Jesus, in fact even mentioning it. If we had to rely on Paul, we should not know that Jesus taught in parables, had delivered the sermon on the mount, and had taught His disciples the 'Our Father.' Even where they are specially relevant, Paul passes over the words of the Lord."-Albert Schweitzer

"Paul created a theology of which none but the vaguest warrants can be found in the words of Christ."

"Fundamentalism is the triumph of Paul over Christ."

-Wil Durant (Philospher)

"Paul hardly ever allows the real Jesus of Nazareth to get a word in." (U.S. News and World Report, April 22, 1991, p. 55)

-Carl Jung (Psychologist)

Bishop John S. Spong (Episcopal Bishop of Newark)

"Paul's words are not the Words of God. They are the words of Paul- a vast difference." (Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism, p. 104, Harper San Francisco, 1991)

-Bishop John S. Spong (Episcopal Bishop of Newark)  

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flawless Victory for Paul,

Flawless Victory for Paul, eh?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
My fiancee's Jewish mother

My fiancee's Jewish mother used to tell me, "You're not a Christian.  You're a Paulist."  Then, I would sigh and eat a cheeseburger in front of her.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:
Flawless Victory for Paul, eh?

That reminds me of the sound bite in the arcade game Mortal Kombat, insted of  "Sonja wins! Flawless Victory"

"Paul wins! Flawless Victory!"

FIGHT! 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So I'm not the only one

So I'm not the only one thinking this would be a great episode for "Celebrity Deathmatch?" :ROTF:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I laughed my ass off on the

I laughed my ass off on the episode where Jesus and Muhammed went at it.

If they did a new one it would have to include Dawkins or Hitchens.

NEXT ON THE WWE SMACKDOWN, SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AT THE SHAMELESSLY FITHLY RICH COPRERATE NAMED ARENA, ITS JESUS VS YAHWEY VS ALLAH VS DAWKINS!

Mrs Garrison would be the ring girl(guy).

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog