Dane Cook Meets an Atheist

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
Posts: 183
Joined: 2006-04-17
User is offlineOffline
Dane Cook Meets an Atheist

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
The last punchline was

The last punchline was priceless Laughing


GSG9er
Posts: 9
Joined: 2007-07-15
User is offlineOffline
Dane cook is one original

Dane cook is one original chimpanzee. He doesn't have as much originality as Dennis Leary but at least he's better than that stupid hack, Bill Hicks.

The atheist he's describing sounds like an elitist, retarded prick... but I doubt the theists in the crowd would give atheism any more respect. Actually I doubt that many theists in general respect atheistic beliefs. Kirk Cameron mocking the "theory" of evolution using absolute, embarrisingly, transparent misinformation on the O' Reilly factor is actually applauded. On the other hand, making your argument against theism as strong as possible, is seen as elitist cruelty, even when they're asking you to argue the atheist view point.

I have some respect for theists, but it's another delusion to think you have a strong argument for theism when having a convincing argument for atheism is confused for insensitivity.

EDIT: the joke was funny though


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Damnit.. I should have

Damnit.. I should have posted somewhere before hand that I'm not a big Dane Cook fan. Now when I say that I didn't think it was that funny it will look like I didn't like it because the joke was about atheists.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
GSG9er wrote: Dane cook is

GSG9er wrote:
Dane cook is one original chimpanzee. He doesn't have as much originality as Dennis Leary but at least he's better than that stupid hack, Bill Hicks.

That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Bill Hicks was a genius.   


GSG9er
Posts: 9
Joined: 2007-07-15
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:

jmm wrote:

GSG9er wrote:
Dane cook is one original chimpanzee. He doesn't have as much originality as Dennis Leary but at least he's better than that stupid hack, Bill Hicks.

That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Bill Hicks was a genius.



That's the point. I was being sarcastic. Bill Hicks was known to say say "I quit smoking to see if Denis would", attacking how much of his material and persona was stolen by Leary. I was also joking about Dane Cook's reputation for stealing material and his resemblence to a chimpanzee, or unevolved creationist.

Anyway... bill hicks died because there's no cure for cancer... Wink. just joking, he's awesome


ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
Posts: 402
Joined: 2007-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Religious comedy is even

Religious comedy is even less entertaining than religious music


ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
Posts: 402
Joined: 2007-05-20
User is offlineOffline
I also think he made up this

I also think he made up this encouter, no atheist talks like that.


GSG9er
Posts: 9
Joined: 2007-07-15
User is offlineOffline
I thought he would be too

I thought he would be too much of a talentless hack too make anything up.


JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2007-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Wow!  You guys are

Wow!  You guys are funny!  Personally, I think Dane Cook is hilarious and I thought that bit was hilarious.  He is a comedian; not a spokesperson for theists, after all - LOL

(Stillmatic - I am a little depressed that you don't like Cook too, but I will get over it.  What about Lewis Black?  Do you like him?) 


ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
Posts: 402
Joined: 2007-05-20
User is offlineOffline
To be honest I'm not a fan

To be honest I'm not a fan of stand-up comedy anyway, but the smug theism just makes it worse


Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
Posts: 110
Joined: 2007-02-08
User is offlineOffline
Dane Cook is the second

Dane Cook is the second biggest hack in comedy today, right behind Carlos "My Name is Ned" Menstealia "I mean, uh, Holness".  Joke thieves should be strung up by their balls.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Wow!  You guys

jce wrote:

Wow!  You guys are funny!  Personally, I think Dane Cook is hilarious and I thought that bit was hilarious.  He is a comedian; not a spokesperson for theists, after all - LOL

(Stillmatic - I am a little depressed that you don't like Cook too, but I will get over it.  What about Lewis Black?  Do you like him?) 

Lewis Black, John Stewart, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, George Carlin, Stephen Colbert, Benny Hill...they are all good. For the most part jokes are better when you have to think about them IMO.

The thing about Dane Cook is that it seems about 30% of his jokes are total bombs. His joke about how "snarky" is a word? That's just not funny because I know it's a fucking word.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Grinding up an Atheist and

Grinding up an Atheist and turning him into paper and printing a bible out of his remains.  That's almost as funny as when they'd shave the hair off Jews and makes socks out of them for Nazis to wear, or when they'd take the skin of Jews and make wallets and lampshades out of them.

In other words I didn't find Cook very funny.  Picking on minorities when you're in the majority doesn't make for very good comedy.  I'm sure Cook could be funny, kinda like how Mussolini was funny swinging from a lamppost (I stole that one). 


Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
Posts: 183
Joined: 2006-04-17
User is offlineOffline
 Some of you are taking it

 Some of you are taking it way too seriously. It's just a joke. Lighten up.


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Dane just isn't funny.  It

Dane just isn't funny.  It would be funny to see him wrestle a polar bear though.  So, if he does that on his next special, I'll watch.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer


stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
Posts: 288
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai wrote:  Some of

Gavagai wrote:

 Some of you are taking it way too seriously. It's just a joke. Lighten up.

I just didn't think it was a very funny routine. Maybe if it was Chappelle making fun of atheists I would have found it hilarious (with some different material).

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
You just don't get it. Dana

You just don't get it. Dana was laughing at you, not with you!


GSG9er
Posts: 9
Joined: 2007-07-15
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure he's also laughing

I'm sure he's also laughing at the comics he ripped off material from.


ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
Posts: 473
Joined: 2006-03-15
User is offlineOffline
I've seen and heard jokes

I've seen and heard jokes about atheism that I thought were funny.  I just don't think Dane Cook's delivery is good, and I guess I sort of dislike his snarkiness.

 Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.