Secular Humanistic Judaism

espania19
User is offlineOffline
Secular Humanistic Judaism

Hi this is my first post to this forum.

I dont know if this the correct topic under which to pose this question, but here goes. I am an atheist jew. I practice certain jewish customs out of a purely cultural appeal. However could this in and of it self be just as dangerous and devisive as religious practice. I have not been an atheist long, and am having a bit of trouble reconciling my disbelief with my appreciation of jewish culture.

Thanks in advance,

espania19

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
If the food tastes good,

If the food tastes good, eat it.

It's only a problem if it is a problem for you.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been going to church

I've been going to church and participating in christian events even though I am an atheist. Do whatever you want, just see it for what it is: harmless nonsense.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I hear of a lot of "Atheist

I hear of a lot of "Atheist Jews." They basically identify culturally as a Jew, but don't believe. Many of us also who were once Christian celebrate Christmas/Easter but only for fun.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
The British brights who I

The British brights who I am a member of seem to have a very high % of non god believing jews.

Whether traditional /cultural behaviour is a good or bad thing is different question to whether believing in god is a good or bad thing.

I think in some cases it can be a good thing, most people in the UK celebrate christmas regardless of their religious believes (including me, here it equals drinking /eating too much, family around, and watching the queen's speech/great escape/wizard of oz)

However giving preference or associating only with people due to who their parents are is in my opinion a very bad thing. In this respect religion including judiasm is an unneccessary division between people