attn: atheist, what is your true agenda?

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
attn: atheist, what is your true agenda?

*this is a long post and i apologize if i repeat the same thing over. i tried to bold and italicizing the main points for the speed readers.

-------------- ------------------ ------------------- -----------------

i understand a need for separation of church and state. i understand that in some ways christainity may have hindered the growth of science and maybe other areas. i know that religion has done a lot of bad things. what is the conclusion that you are looking for?

are you truly seeking to eradicate beliefs or simply to improve our society? people are always going to believe what they want and if you think you are able to take that away, i feel that is a highly irrational goal. the end result could end up very badly especially when you start blaming others and slap them with a predefined burden. do you think force should be implied to these "so called" delusional and mentally disturbed people? do you think calling us delusional and mentally disturbed is an effective way to make them consider their errors?

most christians disagree with radicals like westboro. deep down inside we want to show you love even though we tend to poke you in the eye. we are not good at taking criticism or questioning ourselves and that is one reason why i feel atheism needs a voice, even though my beliefs disagree with yours.

if christains change so that we can grow together in society, putting beliefs aside, would that be an answer that you guys are looking for? (and stating christians will never change is not the question i asked.) could you be friends with a christian? i feel i have co-existed with many people of different beliefs and that did not effect our relationship. i have lived under many different labels but i do not think they effected my ability to think.

i think my christian brothers are more rational than you perceive and if we could talk some of this out we can come to a mutual understanding and respect. the answer is deeper than the label we carry. if you want to work to a better society we can talk about ways we can do that without taking away another's spiritual concepts. i know that deep down there is an agnostic inside of each of you.

*what would be some changes that christains would have to make in order to co-exist? -other than not believing in God.

*what are some changes that you feel atheists need to make?

*what governmental laws do you feel need to be forced or created?

*where do you think change should come from, yourself or others?

*what is an effective way to progress to a peaceful environment?

i like this website because it offers an opportunity to talk over ideas. i feel the answer is not to end religion but to find a way to co-exist with it. we are not perfect, there will always be the judgmental christian and there will always be an angry atheists, but from what i see most of you are not angry.

in conclusion i am not saying to stop questioning or debating. i'm not saying that you should crawl back into a hole and disappear. i am asking you to ask yourself, what is the realistic goal? do you really want to eradicate us or would you be happy if we all changed to put our society first in our public lives and do what we want in our private lives.

i'm sure this will included forcing our beliefs on another. how much tolerance is in your hearts for your fellow man? do you love me no matter what i believe? have i not given you love and understanding? do you not think that i am able to help society in some ways with my God belief or should me and my family be exiled to another country. would it be difficult to comprehend that maybe other theists could change and we could live in peace? are you on that road now or do you think it is rational to eradicate another's beliefs?

EDIT: took out; "______ is a big do-do head because he tried to bully me and attack my candor all the while arguing over some invisible points he somehow made to another poster he assumed was me but turned out to actually be an original poster on a different thread. i especially liked his post about how people don't stay on topic and need to create new threats after i commented on something very similar in the said post, i hope it made him feel gooey inside but i understand if he don't want to admit that he may have gotten an idea from a theist." ...and change it to; "we are not perfect, there will always be the judgmental christian and there will always be an angry atheists," Smiling

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote:i

sapphen wrote:

i understand a need for separation of church and state. i understand that in some ways christainity may have hindered the growth of science and maybe other areas. i know that religion has done a lot of bad things. what is the conclusion that you are looking for?

we don't all have the same 'agenda'. I mostly take part in this forum for entertainment. I like finding holes in arguments and theists have a gift for making arguments that look like swiss cheese. I like to debate, to understand an opponent's position and then dismantle it. Maybe I should find a more challenging topic but it's hard to find a debate with such variety and passion as the atheist vs theist one.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind here. If you come in to argue then your mind is already made up and having to defend your position will only strengthen your conviction that it's right.

Personally I don't really care what people believe. I do care when they feel the need to inflict their delusions on others. I value feedom and knowledge. When someone demands that I give up a freedom because they want everyone to live by the standards of their fantasy I get angry. When someone demands that we stop research into certain areas because their god wouldn't want it I get angry. When children have their capacity for independent though destroyed because they get indocrtinated from birth I get angry. when fundamentalists try to ban parts of science education because science prooves their faith wrong I get angry.

Keep your faith, but don't use it to limit my freedom, claim special rights, restrict human knowledge, retard a child's development or interfere with education.  

Quote:

are you truly seeking to eradicate beliefs or simply to improve our society? people are always going to believe what they want and if you think you are able to take that away, i feel that is a highly irrational goal.

Yes, some people will always believe what they want to (others will believe what the evidence shows) but I hope we stop legitimising unfounded beliefs. We make fun of people who believe in the loch ness monster, and rightly so, I hope we can get to a point were we make fun of christians for the same reasons. Stupid beliefs should be mocked, not respected.

Quote:
do you think calling us delusional and mentally disturbed is an effective way to make them consider their errors?

No, but once again believe what you like, but expect to be made fun of when it doesn't fit reality. 

Quote:

if christains change so that we can grow together in society, putting beliefs aside, would that be an answer that you guys are looking for? (and stating christians will never change is not the question i asked.)

As far as I'm concerned you can believe that you have a family of elves living in your freezer that are the advance party of an elvish invasion of earth... so long as you don't try to make me believe, and dont expect me to help you prepare the defences. 

Quote:
i think my christian brothers are more rational than you perceive and if we could talk some of this out we can come to a mutual understanding and respect.

Christians are irrational about atleast one thing. They believe in magical claims without evidence. They let that belief infulence their life.

On anything other than that subject we may reach understanding but the moment that faith intrudes on the discussion you loose my respect.

Quote:
i know that deep down there is an agnostic inside of each of you.

An agnostic admits that they dont know whether god exists or not. An atheist lacks believe in god... but if you don't know then you lack belief, therefore the logical result of agnosticism is atheism.

Quote:

*what would be some changes that christains would have to make in order to co-exist? -other than not believing in God.

Don't force your religion or it's rules on me, my children or your children.

Quote:

We are the atheists, any changes we felt we needed to make we would have. 

Quote:

Just enforce the separation of church and state and remove any laws that enforce religious rules or give believers special rights.

Quote:

The change needs to be a change in soceity as a whole. we need to stop respecting irrationality just because it's religion. 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

ABx
User is offlineOffline
I think the point that all

I think the point that all too often gets lost is that, at least for me (I can only speak for myself, but suspect that many would agree), the goal isn't to simply remove god from people's lives, it's to get people to think rationally and critically and to apply that to everything in their lives. Once you do so, you will simply not need god anymore. Instead of accepting distortions and lies to rationalize seemingly pleasant thoughts, you can see what's really right and make decisions accordingly.

If someone tells you that a particular group of people are bad, then instead of relying on propaganda and outright lies you can ask why, examine the facts, and assess the actual risks.

When a new life saving scientific discovery comes along you can look at the actual facts and make a decision based on the actual pro's and con's.

When someone tells you to strap bombs to yourself and kill yourself and as many other people as possible, you can rationally examine whether it's a good idea.

When something bad happens you can critically examine whether kneeling down, closing your eyes, and talking to yourself is really productive, or whether it would be better to actually do something.

When it comes to subjects taught to our kids in science class you can look at it and decide whether it's really scientific or if you might just wish it were scientific.

When a leader gives his credentials and opinions, you can take them for their actual value. Unfortunately the kind of faith required for religion makes it very easy for corrupt leaders to take power, manipulate his or her followers, and work towards ultimately detrimental goals.

When a leader declares war, he will need to give better reasons than "god told me to" and we can really look at whether the issue is worth killing thousands or millions of people over.

When an entire continent of people is threatened by a terminal disease, we can provide aid that is actually practical and scientificly proven to be effective, rather than what just seems less offensive.

When discussing personal opinions, the idea that someone doesn't agree with you wouldn't seem like a threat to your life and doom you to eternal torture. You could consider it rationally, like any other issue.

Differing opinions would also likely lead to fewer death threats, fewer judgements that the person is evil, and many orders of magnitude less threats of eternal torture.

Society as a whole would be more well informed and less prone to manipulation by false experts with corporate interests.

An increase in rational and critical thinking would likely result in greater numbers of brilliant minds working towards new discoveries and innovation that would ultimately benefit the whole world. 

You see, religion isn't an isolated issue, it affects the entire perspective and approach to life. There are too many issues that are not directly within the realm of religion that are affected, and result from the ways of thinking and the values that do not benefit our actual society at large (versus the idealized christian society). 

Although many theists do think rationally about other things in their lives, one thing that I have found a distinct lack of is critical thinking. This is evidenced by the fact that most theists new to the site end up with feelings hurt when they first encounter critical thinking. I know that I experience a bit of the same when I was a child, but as soon as it was explained that they were being critical of the idea and not me personally, and expected the same in return, I quickly saw the benefit. Unfortunately too many theists just can't get past it, and I can't help but think that critical thinking is simply too detrimental to faith for them to accept (despite their claims that they already do think critically). The fact of the matter is, however, that if your beliefs can't stand up to critical thinking, rely on ignorance of the facts, and/or can't be justified without distorting the facts or outright lying, then you seriously need to re-examine your beliefs. 

You should also realize that you don't need any god to be 'spiritual'. As much as theists may like to think otherwise, theism does not have a monopoly on spirituality.  

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I'll first say I'm

I'll first say I'm answering for myself and that RRS does not speak for all atheists. I'd think that would be obvious, but some people like to argue the RRS is bad for atheism so I'm guessing people don't realize such things.

sapphen wrote:
are you truly seeking to eradicate beliefs or simply to improve our society?

I think thats one in the same.

Quote:
do you think force should be implied to these "so called" delusional and mentally disturbed people?

No, do you think people should use force with anyone who disagrees with them? 

Quote:
do you think calling us delusional and mentally disturbed is an effective way to make them consider their errors?

A part of getting people to consider something it to get a topic on their mind in the first place. If someone said something to that effect about say the internet I'd think about the internet in general. I think there is something delusional about faith so if you find something insulting with mental illness in general I think it says more about you then us. If that does become a topic I suggest you join other threads on that topic.

Quote:
if christains change so that we can grow together in society, putting beliefs aside, would that be an answer that you guys are looking for?

Its kinda hard for beliefs (or dislike of beliefs) to be pushed aside with somethings, but that is what is required for a secular government. That doesn't say much about society in general.

Quote:
could you be friends with a christian?

I have christian friends, they don't like talking about religion, but they are still my friends.

Quote:
if you want to work to a better society we can talk about ways we can do that without taking away another's spiritual concepts.

You can talk about that if you want, but thats probably not going to stop other people from questioning beliefs.

Quote:

You don't have to look, agnostic is just a statement of how sure someone is. A person can't be agnostic in the sense of theist nor atheist.

Quote:
what would be some changes that christains would have to make in order to co-exist?

Co-existing is easy for both sides just follow the laws and not using the government for religious or anti-religious goals alone. In other word keep the government secular.

Quote:
what governmental laws do you feel need to be forced or created?

The constitution is clear enough. Its not really that laws need to be created, but there are few I think shouldn't be there. (in relation to this topic)

Quote:
where do you think change should come from, yourself or others?

Well if others aren't doing something and I want anything to happen that kinda means I need to get off my ass. 

Quote:
what is an effective way to progress to a peaceful environment?

Secular government is the best for both sides/interests regardless of the end result of religion.

Quote:
i am asking you to ask yourself, what is the realistic goal?

The goal isn't a lifetime goal its goal which I hope the future can give me.

Quote:
do you love me no matter what i believe? have i not given you love and understanding?

Love is a strong word to use as when I think of the term I think of it as altruistic, but that doesn't mean I don't care about others. 

Quote:
should me and my family be exiled to another country.

When I say belief should be gone I don't mean the people. I don't connect beliefs with people even if those people want to connect themselves to them. The only way I want beliefs should be destroyed is through people giving them up on their own accord.

Quote:
would it be difficult to comprehend that maybe other theists could change and we could live in peace? are you on that road now or do you think it is rational to eradicate another's beliefs?

Peace is as easy as keeping a discussion a discussion.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: *this is a

sapphen wrote:

*this is a long post and i apologize if i repeat the same thing over. i tried to bold and italicizing the main points for the speed readers.

for starters, I speak only for me in this. everyone on here doesn't have the same agenda (if they have one at all). everyone is here for their own reasons.

unfortunately "in some ways" is an understatment. it has hindered it a lot, and it is still trying to do so (to be fair I don't mean all of christianity, I'm talking about creationists, etc. the really liberal xtians like bishop harries don't bother me at all). we need separation of church and state not to take away your rights, but to keep everyone's. secularism is the neutral position, so no one gets preferrential treatment.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think it is so that religion got into science so much? I don't recall Jesus saying anything about hindering science. he wanted people to love each other and love God. I guess I don't understand how that tranlsated to getting into science, sex, etc. what is your opinion?

Quote:

are you truly seeking to eradicate beliefs or simply to improve our society? people are always going to believe what they want and if you think you are able to take that away, i feel that is a highly irrational goal. the end result could end up very badly especially when you start blaming others and slap them with a predefined burden. do you think force should be implied to these "so called" delusional and mentally disturbed people? do you think calling us delusional and mentally disturbed is an effective way to make them consider their errors?

most christians disagree with radicals like westboro. deep down inside we want to show you love even though we tend to poke you in the eye. we are not good at taking criticism or questioning ourselves and that is one reason why i feel atheism needs a voice, even though my beliefs disagree with yours.

honestly I think some of the "extreme" statements are done to get people's attention, and to "shock" them out of their complacency. I disagree with some of the methods, but I can understand the motivation behind them. if the "mental disorder" thing goes too far though it can backfire. I've said this before, I don't agree with the statement that ALL theists have mental disorders b/c for one, I haven't met all theists, so I certainly can't make that statement and two, it's a stereotype and I'm against those. I certainly don't think people like Martin Luther King Jr. were "delusional". I think these statements are best applied to the fundies of all religions. I certainly hope no one here advocates getting rid of belief by force, or else I sure as hell won't support it. they'd have to be delusional themselves to think they can eradicate ALL belief in ANYTHING all over the world.  It won't happen, period. what probably WILL happen is somewhere in the middle of eradicating belief and extreme religiosity, and religion might end up getting modernized as a result, and become more like straight sprituality. that would be a good thing IMHO. that being said, anyone who goes around talking about "rights" and then turns around and says "let's ban all religion" is a hypocrite IMHO (and luckily I'm not alone in this).  personally I don't care what you believe, just don't push it on me, and don't put it in the way of knowledge and science and human rights. you do all that, I have no quarrel with you. and this is true of any dogmatic belief, not just religion. religion IMHO has become too much like big business. As for Westboro, I don't think anyone likes them Smiling

Quote:
if christains change so that we can grow together in society, putting beliefs aside, would that be an answer that you guys are looking for? (and stating christians will never change is not the question i asked.) could you be friends with a christian? i feel i have co-existed with many people of different beliefs and that did not effect our relationship. i have lived under many different labels but i do not think they effected my ability to think.

if this truly happened on a wide scale I would be overjoyed. that would be the answer I am looking for. as to the friends question, yes, absolutely, I have friends from all backgrounds. most of my religious friends to tend to be liberal though. I have a hard time being friends with conservative ones b/c they bring it into everything. I have a hard time being friends with extreme anti-theists either b/c that is ALL they talk about.

Quote:
i think my christian brothers are more rational than you perceive and if we could talk some of this out we can come to a mutual understanding and respect. the answer is deeper than the label we carry. if you want to work to a better society we can talk about ways we can do that without taking away another's spiritual concepts. i know that deep down there is an agnostic inside of each of you.

please please, tell the more rational and moderate xtians to start speaking out more!  that will help a lot-get in the way of the fundies and prove people who say moderates open the door to extremists (which I don't think is true across the board) wrong! this is starting to happen already with liberal catholic organizations challenging the church and crosswalk america challenging conservative christianity.I would love to see more of that. join such an organization! organize a protest to the creation museum-it seems to be mostly atheists protesting these things. let's change that! get involved in progressive organizations that bring together people of all backgrounds who seek to enforce separation of church and state, etc. and I agree with you that we can do it without taking away certain spiritual aspects. these fringe freaks who go around talking about burning down churches, beating up believers, and banning religion (thankfully they are a very small minority) to me are just as bad as the fundies. Same as these crazy "bible belt" and "reconstructionist" xtians-who unfortuantely are a majority and that needs to be changed, or at least they need to NOT have any power in our government.

Quote:

live and let live. understand there are those who won't think as you, and that they have good reasons for it. show you are a good christian by living your faith and being a good person, not by evangelizing it, pushing it on people, and trying to influence government to support your own personal beliefs. teach your kids to be open to all viewpoints (that goes for everyone, not just xtians). don't threaten people with hell. don't hate someone just b/c they're an atheist or agnostic-get to know them. you might find that in many things you're not so different. if every xtian did this-well, can you imagine what would happen?

Quote:

for staters, don't assume you are always smarter and more rational just b/c you are an atheist. and don't talk about rights and then talk about banning religion. it's hypocritical. that's my opinion.

Quote:

separation of church and state-I cannot stress this enough. if that is truly enforced as it should be, I think things will be much better. look at Europe.

Quote:

from everyone, everyone has to do their part.

Quote:

starting a calmer dialouge and toning down extremism on both sides. the religious need to start though b/c they started the extremism in the first place. 

Quote:
i like this website because it offers an opportunity to talk over ideas. i feel the answer is not to end religion but to find a way to co-exist with it. we are not perfect, there will always be the judgmental christian and there will always be an angry atheists, but from what i see most of you are not angry.

agreed, to coexist with it and modernize it (sorry, but stuff like creationism has gotta go, IMHO). I think also, b/c your background in religion, you are used to seeing more people think similarly to each other in religion (I know there is much diversity in christianity but still). Dawkins said it well: "getting atheists together is like herding cats". that is very true, and it's true of agnostics as well. I have never seen such a diverse group of people in my life. you get 10 atheists you will usually get 10 different opinions. the only thing they have in common is their lack of belief in a deity. that's why the rrs keeps saying they speak for themselves and not all atheists, at least that is what I gathered by watching their interviews.

Quote:
in conclusion i am not saying to stop questioning or debating. i'm not saying that you should crawl back into a hole and disappear. i am asking you to ask yourself, what is the realistic goal? do you really want to eradicate us or would you be happy if we all changed to put our society first in our public lives and do what we want in our private lives.

this would be fine with me (the second part not the eradication!), within reason, of course. if you're sacrifcing children every full moon in your private life, there's gonna be a problem (being sarcastic but you get what I'm saying).

Quote:
I'm sure this will included forcing our beliefs on another. how much tolerance is in your hearts for your fellow man? do you love me no matter what i believe? have i not given you love and understanding? do you not think that i am able to help society in some ways with my God belief or should me and my family be exiled to another country. would it be difficult to comprehend that maybe other theists could change and we could live in peace? are you on that road now or do you think it is rational to eradicate another's beliefs?

I respect you as a fellow human whether I agree with your religious beliefs or not, especially when you treat me with respect and try to talk to me respectfully. hell no I don't think it's rational to eradicate beliefs by force, no, NEVER. look what happened in the communist countries when communism tried it-after communism fell it came flooding back. look at the people who are willing to die for their religion in vietnam even though they are tortured (if anyone answers and says that what vietnam is doing is a GOOD thing, then you are truly sick). before everyone yells at me I am NOT equating atheism with communism at all (communism is just another type of dogma-and  they kill atheists who challenge them too), I'm using it as an example b/c that is the best one we have of trying to stamp out all religion by force.

Quote:
EDIT: took out; "______ is a big do-do head because he tried to bully me and attack my candor all the while arguing over some invisible points he somehow made to another poster he assumed was me but turned out to actually be an original poster on a different thread. i especially liked his post about how people don't stay on topic and need to create new threats after i commented on something very similar in the said post, i hope it made him feel gooey inside but i understand if he don't want to admit that he may have gotten an idea from a theist." ...and change it to; "we are not perfect, there will always be the judgmental christian and there will always be an angry atheists," Smiling

well that's good Smiling my opinion: you are bending over backwards to be nice. if all theists were like this things would be a lot better. I hope people on this board can be nice in return and be civil to you and try and talk.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
very good reply. i think it

very good reply. i think it kind of sums up a majority of the opinion's here.  you stated yourself in a sound and rational fashion.

personally i feel uneasy mocking people for of their belief's.  whether it is lockness monster or big foot, i don't think anyone deserves that.  i myself have faults and just as subject to mockery.

i guess i give respect too freely.  my parents taught me to respect others even if i did not agree with them.

it seems sometimes that the word "rational" is the all defining word in here.  it would be easy for me to tell my wife she is being irrational but everyone who has been in a relationship knows that is about as productive as putting my finger in a fan.  i know that if i look at myself i can see that i have been irrational to her in other arguments.  for me and her it is natural, i couldn't imagine anyone living a completely "rational" life... which i understand that you don't claim to either.

at one time i felt that i brought rational conversation to this forum.  i showed respect and tried to pretzel my beliefs in some ways to gain admiration from all of you.  i truly questioned and thought about the points you guys made.  i looked to understand you because at first you scared me.  i wanted to bad mouth you and run away but something inside of me told me to go back and not to be afraid.  i became comfortable in my faith, it has grown into something bigger and stronger.

the chances of life just happing is too great for me not to believe in the Creator.  i'm sorry but God communicates to me.  i can feel Him and that is a rational reason for me personally to believe.  i'm sure that a lot of theists feel similar to that.  He motivates me, inspires me, helps me, waters me, i love Him for all my worth and i will let you freely mock me because of it.  i've heard most of the explanations that you provide why He is in my life.  God spot or brainwashed He is within me because i asked Him there and He makes me a better person.  i've been without Him and i am grateful that He now resides in me.

the things i have learned from you guys i will carry with me for the rest of my life.  i have made some dear friends here and had some awesome conversations.  i love each of you in your own way but not everything i learned here is good.  i value empathy and have a deep compassion for people.  no matter our beliefs we are all reflections of each other, none of us are perfect.

i will not be here much longer.  i am not saying that i won't revisit but i feel God pulling me in another direction.  for what it is worth i will be praying for you all, not to be changed but to be blessed.

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Yes, some people

Quote:
Yes, some people will always believe what they want to (others will believe what the evidence shows) but I hope we stop legitimising unfounded beliefs. We make fun of people who believe in the loch ness monster, and rightly so, I hope we can get to a point were we make fun of christians for the same reasons. Stupid beliefs should be mocked, not respected.

when I say "you" in this reply, I don't mean you, per se, I mean you as in "anyone". hope that makes sense.

that depends what you mean by "mocked". if someone gets into a fight with you over religion, that's one thing. If they try to bring into government and education, then by all means, stand up against it. Defend yourself and destroy their argument, by all means. but if you say, walk up to someone who is wearing a religious symbol but isn't bothering you in any way (which actually happened to a friend of mine, and I was on her side on that one)-then you are harrassing people and you have NO RIGHT to do that.  yeah yeah, I know "but they do it". so you want to be like them?  If they bother you, that's one thing. but if they're not bothering you, don't bother them. if by mock you mean you mean throwing eggs at someone's lawn b/c they have a nativity scene up on their PRIVATE property (happened to my neighbor), then you become nothing more than a hoodlum (when I say "you" I don't mean you personally I mean anyone). people should have the right to not have to worry about that kind of stuff. Look at secular countries in Europe as a good example. My friends there tell me believers and non-believers are treated equally.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
By mock I mean ridicule,

By mock I mean ridicule, make fun of, laugh at etc. It's only words. Violence and defacing property are not mocking, they're criminal. Also I meant we should mock the people actively spreading nonsense. If someone is keeping their faith to themselves then there's no need to pick a fight.

I don't like seeing people wearing crosses or cars with jesus fish. I find it depressing that people display their ignorance with pride, but I'm not going to make an issue of it. If someone wants to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm a moron, and proud of it" I'll just leave them alone until they insist I become a moron too, then I'll make fun of them.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic wrote: By

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

By mock I mean ridicule, make fun of, laugh at etc. It's only words. Violence and defacing property are not mocking, they're criminal. Also I meant we should mock the people actively spreading nonsense. If someone is keeping their faith to themselves then there's no need to pick a fight.

I don't like seeing people wearing crosses or cars with jesus fish. I find it depressing that people display their ignorance with pride, but I'm not going to make an issue of it. If someone wants to wear a t-shirt that says "I'm a moron, and proud of it" I'll just leave them alone until they insist I become a moron too, then I'll make fun of them.

makes sense Smiling

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'm missing out. I didn't

I'm missing out.

I didn't know that I needed an agenda to doubt the existence of God(s).

Can someone let me borrow theirs? I'll give it back. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: EDIT: took out;

Quote:

Thanks for taking my name out, but I stand by everything I said. I think my points were quite clear, and I apologized several times for calling you the wrong name, and directed you to the correct post.

If bullying is trying to get you to answer clear objections to your unsubstantiated opinions, then I wear my bully badge with pride.

To be precise, you reminded me of how important it is to stay on topic, and yes, it was in the front of my brain because of our discussion.

I'm sure you don't mind admitting that this post took some inspiration from our discussion, debate, whatever, do you? So, maybe everybody's gaining from an interchange of ideas? I think it would be awesome if you stop insinuating that I think Christians are worthless and have nothing to contribute to conversations. I've said otherwise in as many words, more than once.

Quote:

A complete separation of church and state. Ending tax exempt status for churches. Marginalizing religion by promoting rational thought.

Quote:

I believe the former will accomplish the latter. While complete eradication of religion is impossible, I think everybody who gives up theism is contributing to the solution. Maybe one day, rationalists will be the majority. That would be really great, I think. But, it's irrational to believe there won't always be people who are too ignorant, fearful, or intellectually lazy to embrace rationality, so theism will always exist, I suspect.

Quote:
do you think force should be implied to these "so called" delusional and mentally disturbed people?

Look, Sapphen, this is your 1984 scenario. Not ours. You keep alluding to this kind of thing in your posts. This board doesn't have an official political stance, but the majority of core members and mods lean libertarian. Emphasis on "liberty."

Quote:

Most Christians are not so deluded that they believe anything so long as it purportedly comes from god. That's good.

I've noticed you're not good at taking criticism.

Quote:
if christains change so that we can grow together in society, putting beliefs aside, would that be an answer that you guys are looking for?

If that change involved the concession that Christianity is completely and utterly separate from government, and that Jesus/God doesn't belong anywhere outside of church and private homes, that would be a great start.

Quote:

It's difficult, but not impossible for me. I have a couple of liberal Christian friends, but I think it would be pretty near impossible to keep a fundamentalist as a friend. The simple fact is, religion influences a person's beliefs so much, that it's impossible to keep it out of conversation, and as you may have noticed, I have pretty strong opinions about theism. So many things Christians are trying to accomplish, particularly in politics, really, really make me mad, and anyone who isn't opposed to that is part of the problem. It's hard not to let that become a wedge issue. Luckily, there are a lot more atheists out there than most Christians suspect, so it's not hard to find lots of friends.

Quote:
if you want to work to a better society we can talk about ways we can do that without taking away another's spiritual concepts.

We are not here to take away your spiritual concepts. How many ways can we say this? We are here to encourage you to abandon them on your own, for your own good. Please, please disabuse yourself of the notion that we're trying to force anyone to do anything. It's called "freethinking" for a reason. If you don't truly believe it, we don't want you on our side.

Quote:

Technically, yes. Every atheist is an agnostic. Since god doesn't exist, it's impossible to know anything about him. Since none of us know anything about an entity that doesn't exist, we're agnostics.

Quote:

Concede to complete separation of church and state. End tax exempt status for churches.

Quote:

It would be nice if atheists would stop condoning religion by remaining silent. If all the atheists in the country became politically active, we'd have a voting block nearly as large as the Christian neocon far-right.

Quote:

I think it would be good to completely overhaul the system of lobbying. There is too much power to be had when a small group can simply install a lobbyist with a lot of bills stuffed up his sleeve next door to a congressman, and buy votes.

I think it would be good to legislate a political separation between the white house and the surgeon general. Politicians should not be able to dictate what a scientist can and cannot say to the public.

I've mentioned it before: Ending tax exempt status for churches.

Requiring that decisions about medical procedures, research, prescription drugs, etc be decided by the scientific community, not politicians, would be really nice.

Removing god from money, court buildings, oaths, etc...

Putting scientists, not politicians, in charge of teaching curriculums for public schools.

Overhauling legislation concerning media, effectively ending the monopoly held by the major networks, FAUX News, and Clearchannel.

These would be an awesome start.

Quote:

Obviously, we think this website is an awesome way to encourage others to change.

I have personal plans within the next five years or so to be able to devote a lot more of my time to active work for scientific/political organizations who support things I believe in.

Quote:

Getting Neocons who believe in the bible out of the white house would sure make the world a bit more peaceful. Getting bastards like Pat Robertson off the airwaves, so he can't keep telling people that invading Iran will help Jesus come back...

I'd like to accomplish these things not by force, but by reason. Getting people to question the government and the media... to demand answers. If nobody sent Pat Robertson any money, he couldn't stay on the air. The work needs to be done from the ground up. Forcing things politically doesn't work. History demonstrates this time and time again.

That's what we're here for. To get people to think, and to help make a more peaceful world by ending the power of religion to demand blind faith.

Quote:

We're angry because things are getting worse for us. You can't be an atheist and expect to get elected to public office. This is a new development. We've had atheists in the White House before, believe it or not.

Co-existing would be nice, but it's not what the Christian Right wants. They want a theocracy.

Quote:
do you really want to eradicate us or would you be happy if we all changed to put our society first in our public lives and do what we want in our private lives.

Not you, Sapphen. Your delusions.

If you believed whatever you wanted, and kept it out of my government, I think I would be happy. I'd still probably encourage those around me to think rationally and give up theism when the opportunity arose, but I'd probably not feel compelled to do so for 20 or 30 hours a week like I do now.

In short, yes. If you and yours kept your noses out of my private life and your religion out of my laws, we could probably be friends and coexist.

Quote:
i'm sure this will included forcing our beliefs on another. how much tolerance is in your hearts for your fellow man? do you love me no matter what i believe? have i not given you love and understanding?

No. If you believed that killing all atheists was a good thing, I wouldn't love you.

Love and respect are earned. I tolerate your beliefs when they do not infringe upon mine. I will never approve of or condone your beliefs.

Hard as it may be for you to believe, I don't hate most Christians. I do have a very strong hate on for the religion and teachings, and those who intentionally misuse them to hurt others. By and large, I think most Christians are good people who are trying to make the world a better place, and I respect that attitude. It pains me to see that they are actually making the world worse, and I try to tell them so.

Believe it or not, Sapphen, I think you are a very good hearted person, and I believe you think you are doing what your invisible friend wants for the world to be a better place. I hope that one day, you will see that your religion is causing great harm in the world, and that you will abandon it, so that your desire to be a good person will be unimpeded by your delusional beliefs about god.

Quote:
do you not think that i am able to help society in some ways with my God belief or should me and my family be exiled to another country.

I'm sure you and your family have contributed good things to the world. I think you wouldn't be as happy in most other advanced countries, because they are not nearly so religious as America. Probably you should stay here.

Quote:
would it be difficult to comprehend that maybe other theists could change and we could live in peace?

Considering Christianity's track record for living in peace with non believers, it is difficult to comprehend.

Quote:
are you on that road now or do you think it is rational to eradicate another's beliefs?

I think it's rational to try to help people give up irrational fairy tales.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
P.S.  The above opinions

P.S.  The above opinions are obviously mine, and I do not purport to speak for everyone here.  I am an activist, and unapologetic for it.  Please do me the favor of applying what I said to me only, and allow others to speak for themselves.  Thanks Eye-wink

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: I'm

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm missing out.

I didn't know that I needed an agenda to doubt the existence of God(s).

Can someone let me borrow theirs? I'll give it back.

(psst - if you get one, can I copy it?  Sorry, I didn't do my homework.  Too busy screwing around living to write up an agenda - lol.)

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think I have an

I don't think I have an agenda.  I'm not out to eradicate anyone's belief system.  I would just like to make sure that no one's beliefs take away other people's rights.  I suppose you could say that my 'agenda' is human rights.  As in, everyone should have them.

I have Christian friends and I have Jewish friends.  We have no issues whatsoever.  I also live in a predominantly Jewish town.  No issues with that iether.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: do you love

sapphen wrote:
do you love me no matter what i believe?

**gives sapphen a big sloppy kiss!**

sapphen wrote:
personally i feel uneasy mocking people for of their belief's. whether it is lockness monster or big foot, i don't think anyone deserves that. i myself have faults and just as subject to mockery.

Me too. But I think that I can identify situations where mockery is appropiate. If you have a friend who trusts you then they could take mockery in a 'banter' type way that won't be too offensive, and will implicitly challenge their beliefs, perhaps unconsciously force them to think it over.

Another appropiate instance I can think of is when you need to bring someone down. If someone had a political power over some followers and were spewing garbage then I'd like to bring them down and mocking them can be a good way to do this. I don't think I need to go too far into this, I'm sure you yourself can think of times when mockery is appropiate, trust your judgement for the situation at hand and all that. Smiling

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're leaving

You're leaving Sapphen???Surprised

NO!  YOU CAN'T LEAVE!  STAY HERE WHERE ITS SAFE!

Seriously though, stay around a bit longer.  You are one of the few theists around here who makes sense...

As to the question, I have stated multiple times that I have no problem with religion of any kind, so my goals are purely selfish: for me to find the truth. 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank you for the awesome

thank you for the awesome replies everyone.

i didn't mean to make it sound like i lumped everyone up in my second post, i just saw a few similarities but i still misstated my position.  the one thing i did learn is that everyone has their own ideas and i am sorry to have "summed" you guys up the way that i did.

i understand some of you may not have an agenda, it might have been better to ask if you have a goal or motivation.

hamby, i don't like you.  i think you are intelligent and your last post was very good.  you replied to my point rationally and i easily followed you.  you are a smart aleck and i do like that, in some ways i am the same way. in my opinion you still have some growing to do before you can understand a person and make your opinions understood.  deep down inside i think you do understand and know how to speak to others but i feel that sometimes you think it wise to undermine your opponent attacking their character other than addressing the issues.  i have my faults as well and i did learn something from your critique even if i did not take it that well.  ultimately i do respect you in what you have to offer and i appreciate your contribution.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
I don't know about these

I don't know about these other guys. My only agenda as an atheist is to get in on all the godless sinner sex orgies -- and all the fetuses I can eat!

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: hamby, i don't like

Quote:
hamby, i don't like you.

It's ok, Sapphen. I don't like you either. I still reply to you and give you my honest opinions, though. My job here isn't to make friends. I don't ask that you like me. I don't think you're as mature as you think, and I think you hide behind god to keep from answering hard questions. I think there's hope for you, though.

In any case, as you've pointed out, you owe me no explanations for anything, and I can do nothing more than continue asking you to answer.

Quote:
i think you are intelligent and your last post was very good.

Thank you.

Quote:
you are a smart aleck and i do like that, in some ways i am the same way.

When someone is being honest and open with me, I am honest and open in return. This OP was asking sincere questions, so I answered sincerely. When you hide behind god and call me a bully, I will answer sarcastically because you're not acting openly or honestly with me.

Quote:
in my opinion you still have some growing to do before you can understand a person and make your opinions understood.

You have every right to that opinion. I don't feel any obligation to tell you either my age, my experience, or my accomplishments. I've very seldom heard complaints about my ability to clearly voice my opinions. I have caught you repeatedly putting words into my mouth, and have called you on it. I suspect you expect certain opinions from me, and project them into my writing. Nevertheless, I will continue to try to improve my writing skills. It's something I'm constantly working on.

Quote:
deep down inside i think you do understand and know how to speak to others but i feel that sometimes you think it wise to undermine your opponent attacking their character other than addressing the issues.

I have not, to my knowledge, attacked your character. I have attacked your arguments, your tactics, and your practice of hit and run posting. I understand that your character contributes to these actions, so indirectly I suppose you could make the leap, but I have never said, "Sapphen, you are a _________ person." I have said your arguments suck, in a slightly more eloquent fashion, but that's because many of them do. Like I've said, I believe you are a good person, and for the record, I think you probably have good character. Again, I think religion is skewing your view of the world. Not your character.

Quote:
i have my faults as well and i did learn something from your critique even if i did not take it that well.

It makes me happy to hear you say that.

Quote:
ultimately i do respect you in what you have to offer and i appreciate your contribution.

Good. Then everything should be fine. I'm here to help theists think their way out of religion, not to make friends. I don't ask for anything more than your consideration of my posts, and answers to my questions.

Books about atheism

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
xam, i'm not leaving

xam, i'm not leaving forever buddy!  i'll be back to check on you guys and i deeply appreciate the compliment.  i'll be moving to a larger city in the next 4 days.  unfortunately with all the closing costs and double bills we will be without internet for a while.

although i do have great conversations in here i feel drained.  my thoughts are starting to run together.  i am beginning to become frustrated and unable to see as rationally as i first did.  the support you and others have given me has carried me this far.  i have always admired your opinions and contributions to the conversations.

i feel a different calling for me and have this crazy desire to go to church. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, Sapphen, I should

Actually, Sapphen, I should give you credit where it's due.  I admire you for dealing with me openly even though you don't like me.  Many people would have just left the boards after the kind of tongue (keyboard?) lashing I dished out, but you thought about what I said, and told me what you thought about it, without being rude or condescending.

This speaks for your character.

Like I said, all I ask for is openness and honesty.  We don't have to like each other personally to gain from discussions.

Thanks.

Books about atheism

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: i am

sapphen wrote:
i am beginning to become frustrated and unable to see as rationally as i first did.

This is a good thing. I'm guessing it means that you've picked up some new understanding but it doesn't fit with stuff that was already in your head. You think you're unable to see rationally because the new undersanding is conflicting with some current knowledge.

If I remember my educational psychology it's called Cognitive dissonance

This is how our minds work. We have a body of knowledge. It is interconnected, each piece of knowlede works with other peices of knowledge to form an understanding of the world. When we gain new information we don't just absorb it. We test it against our existing knowledge. This is what makes sure our understanding of the wrold remains consistant. If it fits well then we add it to our knowledge, if it doesn't then we need to choose what to do with it.

The easy solution is to just reject it, sometimes this is the right thing to do. If someone tells me that the sky is green I wont include that in my knowledge. It doesn't fit my understaning of the world. However you cannot just reject all information that doesnt fit otherwise you could never properly develop an understaning of the world.

The other option is to question existing knowledge. This is the stage I think you're at now. Things that once seemed certain are being called into question. After this you can still reject the new information but you might also adjust existing understanding, maybe even discard bits of old knowledge that no longer work. At this stage the ne knowledge can also be tweaked to fit.

After you've rejected the new idea or restructured your set of knowledge so that it is once again consistant the feeling of discomfort will go away.

Don't be afraid of this feeling. I felt the same way when I first understood relativity or when I learnt about quantum mechanics (I wont say I understand it). It means you're growing. I make no predictions of what the new knowledge is or what it's conflicting with. I make no judgement of what the right thing is to to with this knowledge either. but go with it, make sure you think, don't run away from new ideas.

Quote:

Ok this part of my post is a massive assumption. I think this may be a part of the cognitive dissonance. Some new idea is challenging a part of your faith. It's not a comforatble feeling so you desire to go back to a place where the old ideas can be reinforced against this internal battle.

I think this would be running away and a wasted opportunity for growth. Please figure out what you believe before you go and be told what you should believe.  

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
thank you for the theory

thank you for the theory paranoid. i appreciate the concern but the reasons that i am frustrated about has little to do with the issues at hand. i am more confident in my beliefs and because i think rational does not mean that it conflicts with my faith. i have always seen God as a rational being and like i stated before, i have my personal proof that He exists and that is rational enough for me.

i have some enormous personal issues that have risen, i also deal with depression and anxiety. there are a few other factors that is effecting me right now and my ability to stay concentrated on our goal here is being undermined.

i won't say that nothing has been effected by the new ideas. a part of me feels like i sacrificed my faith to God and i should praise Him more. i think that may be a little bit of religion's fault because another part is telling me that i have did God's work and i need to let the seeds grow. now i do need to bring my full attention to the matters of my home, family and friends.

i will still think about the ideas you pose and i do appreciate the concern that you have. a reach out to help another person is a fine quality.

...and thank you hamby, what you said means more to me than you will ever know.

suttsteve
User is offlineOffline
I can't speak for anyone

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just want to be left alone and be allowed to live my life, without being demonized and having my rights as an American citizen and as a human being threatened. I'd also like to see every person be treated equally and with respect, regardless of what they happen to believe or not believe.

It's not an agenda, because I don't have one. It's just a wish for peace for all mankind.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: what is

sapphen wrote:

what is the conclusion that you are looking for?

the removal of religion from our schools and government.

sapphen wrote:

not unless they are breaking laws and posing a serious threat to others.

sapphen wrote:

i'm sure that i'm already casual friends with many xians. i see no fistfights breaking out. could i listen to someone vent about their fear of the rapture without laughing hysterically? sorry, but no, i just couldn't do it.

sapphen wrote:

who gives theists these crazy ideas??? if there ever was an agnostic inside of me, i pooped him out about 25 years ago. but seriously, no there isn't. in order for us to be friends, you need to ditch this theory. it's insulting.

sapphen wrote:

what would be some changes that christains would have to make in order to co-exist?

where do i start? good grief...

sapphen wrote:

what are some changes that you feel atheists need to make?

i'm straining harder than a constipated gorilla to come up with an answer, here. but it's not happening. doesn't mean there isn't one, but i don't know it, yet.

sapphen wrote:

what governmental laws do you feel need to be forced or created?

huh? well, churches shouldn't be tax exempt or receive federal funds. remove references to religion from federal documents? "in god we trust"? take "god" out of the pledge of allegiance? these seem like obvious and fair changes to me. the separation of church and state should actually be a law instead of just a polite recommendation.

sapphen wrote:

where do you think change should come from, yourself or others?

it has to come from everyone, but there will always be private belief. it's foolish to think otherwise. and it would be foolish to try and prevent it.

sapphen wrote:

what is an effective way to progress to a peaceful environment?

reason. and patience.

sapphen wrote:

i am asking you to ask yourself, what is the realistic goal?

religion as a private, personal belief. period.

sapphen wrote:

do you love me no matter what i believe?

no offense, but you're words on my computer screen. i don't KNOW you. i can't love you. could i? no matter what you believe? that depends on what actions your belief leads you to take.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
suttsteve wrote: I can't

suttsteve wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just want to be left alone and be allowed to live my life, without being demonized and having my rights as an American citizen and as a human being threatened. I'd also like to see every person be treated equally and with respect, regardless of what they happen to believe or not believe.

It's not an agenda, because I don't have one. It's just a wish for peace for all mankind.

I totally second that!

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
Sapphen wrote:

Ok this part of my post is a massive assumption. I think this may be a part of the cognitive dissonance. Some new idea is challenging a part of your faith. It's not a comforatble feeling so you desire to go back to a place where the old ideas can be reinforced against this internal battle.

I think this would be running away and a wasted opportunity for growth. Please figure out what you believe before you go and be told what you should believe.

I actually disagree here.
Sapphen's urge to 'run away' looks to me more like an information overload, the he's been filled with fresh information and feels worn out rather than fresh. 'Retreating' to church, (or another activity that takes mind of debate - e.g. getting stuck into a good fictional book or something) is the perfect way for the mind to clear itself, let the intuition subconsciously analyse all that has been learnt and find clarity.

My suggestion is to leave us for a while and lose yourself in your everyday life for while. In a few weeks you mind suddenly find yourself bursting, full of ideas that you want to announce to us, and the cycle can start again! Smiling

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think Strafio may have

i think Strafio may have hit on something.  as i said before i will be back hopefully with some new ideas.  i regret that it is not an "urge" but more of a need right now.  there is about 2 more days until the move.

last night me and my wife had a really long conversation.  i think it solved some problems and created others but now i feel me and her have a goal to work on.  without her support i am a wreak, she is truly a pillar in my life.  i need to have a clear mind to successfully deal with the complications entering into our lives.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
Strafio

Strafio wrote:
ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
Sapphen wrote:

Ok this part of my post is a massive assumption. I think this may be a part of the cognitive dissonance. Some new idea is challenging a part of your faith. It's not a comforatble feeling so you desire to go back to a place where the old ideas can be reinforced against this internal battle.

I think this would be running away and a wasted opportunity for growth. Please figure out what you believe before you go and be told what you should believe.

I actually disagree here. Sapphen's urge to 'run away' looks to me more like an information overload, the he's been filled with fresh information and feels worn out rather than fresh. 'Retreating' to church, (or another activity that takes mind of debate - e.g. getting stuck into a good fictional book or something) is the perfect way for the mind to clear itself, let the intuition subconsciously analyse all that has been learnt and find clarity. My suggestion is to leave us for a while and lose yourself in your everyday life for while. In a few weeks you mind suddenly find yourself bursting, full of ideas that you want to announce to us, and the cycle can start again! Smiling

When I said running away, I did not mean from this message board. I meant from new ideas. I think leaving this site for a while is a good thing, you cannot really analise your beliefs while being forced to defend them. I also don't think church is the right place. I interpreted church to mean a service or discussion with a minister. That could only make it harder to challenge old ideas. On the other hand if 'church' just meant the building and a quiet place to contemplate things then it's not such a bad idea.

But then he said that it's not the new ideas causing discomfort anyway so this is all irrelevant 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I interpreted 'church' as

I interpreted 'church' as just getting on with his life and 'living' as a Christian rather than talking about it. So not even consciously thinking about these things but letting the subconscious mull over them while he was busy doing other things.

Although come think of it, I think I see what you meant now: that he'd go to a minister who'd stifle the thinking somehow. That would be tragic! Smiling
(To be honest, I've just been reading a book on intuition, subconscious mind activity and creativity etc, so I'm interpreting every topic in a way that I can rant about it! Eye-wink)

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
I agree.

I agree.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: personally

sapphen wrote:

personally i feel uneasy mocking people for of their belief's. whether it is lockness monster or big foot, i don't think anyone deserves that. i myself have faults and just as subject to mockery.

i guess i give respect too freely. my parents taught me to respect others even if i did not agree with them.

Sapphen fascism would you be respectful and uncritical of a fascist ?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
People who don't want their

People who don't want their beliefs ridiculed shouldn't hold ridiculous beliefs.

Wyzaard
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: are you

sapphen wrote:

The latter, though some measure of the former might be ideal, depending upon the beliefs. 

Quote:
people are always going to believe what they want

Unless taught differently... people just don't believe in sky-gods by default. 

Quote:

Sure... question is, can you put your beliefs aside? 

Quote:

Well... I am an agnostic, so it's not that deep.

Quote:

Again... can you keep it to yourselves?  What we believe and what we do are closely connected. 

Quote:
i'm sure this will included forcing our beliefs on another. how much tolerance is in your hearts for your fellow man? do you love me no matter what i believe? have i not given you love and understanding? do you not think that i am able to help society in some ways with my God belief or should me and my family be exiled to another country. would it be difficult to comprehend that maybe other theists could change and we could live in peace? are you on that road now or do you think it is rational to eradicate another's beliefs?

Dunno... what do your beliefs do in our society?  If they aren't harmful, there's no reason to mess with you.  Do you think we would have a reason to do so?  Why?

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
true enough, but there lots

true enough, but there lots of ridiculous beliefs besides religion. non-religious are not immune to stupidity (I know you didn't say that I'm just making that point). and some people are going to believe no matter what you say to them, that's just how it is. I may not agree with them but I'm not going to harrass them over it. as long as they don't have the power to influence governements, science and other imporant stuff, I think I can live with them.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
well said Wyzaard! I agree

well said Wyzaard! I agree with you

Wyzaard
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!  

Thanks!

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: People

MattShizzle wrote:
People who don't want their beliefs ridiculed shouldn't hold ridiculous beliefs.

I actually disagree with this.
I think it stifles freethinking.
The people who do ridiculing aren't necessarily right, and even if they are, it discourages 'deviance'. It encourages conformity and group think. Rather than think what they really think (which might be right) they might shy off and stick to the crowd in order to avoid the mocking.

I think there's a time and place for mockery, but it's for someone with a bad attitude rather than wacky beliefs.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: MattShizzle

Strafio wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
I actually disagree with this. I think it stifles freethinking. The people who do ridiculing aren't necessarily right, and even if they are, it discourages 'deviance'. It encourages conformity and group think. Rather than think what they really think (which might be right) they might shy off and stick to the crowd in order to avoid the mocking. I think there's a time and place for mockery, but it's for someone with a bad attitude rather than wacky beliefs.

I totally agree. Shaming someone to "give up their beliefs" that you don't agree with through ridicule isn't good in my opinion.  How do you know they're not just doing it to get you to leave them alone?  It has to be genuine, not "wanting to fit in". I wish more people would realize that. Ridicule and mockery is not "rational conversation".

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
People need to develop

People need to develop thicker skin. If your belief cannot stand up to ridicule maybe the problem is the belief and not the ridicule.

Religion creates a situation where people can be proud of ignorance and conformity. That pride needs to be atacked.

Once again I won't ridicule individual believers but I will ridicule the belief in general. It's the belief that deserves ridicule, although I can't stop the believers from taking it as personal ridicule.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If someone believed that

If someone believed that spooning ice cream into computers made them work better would you respect that belief or would you rightly consider them an idiot or insane? What if someone believed that drinking drano was the ultimate good and lead someone to heaven? Neither of these beliefs are any less rational than any religious belief.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
friendlyagnostic

friendlyagnostic wrote:
Ridicule and mockery is not "rational conversation".

You've clearly never read good satire. There are more ways to ridicule something than the juvenile "haha you're stupid".

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
If someone believed that spooning ice cream into computers made them work better would you respect that belief or would you rightly consider them an idiot or insane? What if someone believed that drinking drano was the ultimate good and lead someone to heaven? Neither of these beliefs are any less rational than any religious belief.

I disagree. People have spooned ice cream into computers and swigged drano, and 10 times out of 10 you end up with a busted computer and a rerouted esophagus, no exceptions.

Religious beliefs are a different beast altogether, though. While spooning ice cream into computers and drinking drano are both physical, tangible, empirical acts with equally physical, tangible, empirical consequences, religious beliefs are inward, mystical acts that have both physical and metaphysical consequences.

Religious  beliefs are certainly irrational, but spooning ice cream into a computer and drinking drano are downright stupid.  Big difference.   

blueocean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: If

MattShizzle wrote:

Some are, some aren't. That's a pretty bad analogy. It's your opinion, period. Other people are going to disagree with you that ALL theists are irrational in everything they believe and you're just going to have to accept that. I've met people of all backgrounds, with wacky beliefs that have nothing to do with religion, but if they're not hurting anyone I'm not going to get in their faces. I never said to respect the belief, I said to respect the PERSON, and too frequently I don't see that happen. I don't like organized religion as a whole, but I'm not going to automatically laugh at someone just cause they go to church, if they don't expect me to go with them.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
I think the past 3 posts

I think the past 3 posts above me make good points.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
blueocean wrote: I never

blueocean wrote:

I never said to respect the belief, I said to respect the PERSON,

How can I respect someone who holds ridiculous beliefs. I respect a person for their ability to think logically and to think as an individual. If someone holds ridiculous beliefs that says something about their ability to think logically, and if it is a religion then it says something about their ability to think as an individual.