Attn Theists! What is good about religion?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Attn Theists! What is good about religion?

Ok, this post is for all the other theists who want to chime in on my other thread, entitled, Attn Dylan.

Here's the question:

What has religion contributed to society that couldn't have been contributed without god belief?

Simple enough.  Anybody?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Giant Moth
Giant Moth's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say fear!

I would say fear!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can't say I understand what

Can't say I understand what you mean. Are you being sarcastic, or are you saying that there is a fear instilled by religion which benefits society, and there is no way that societal benefit could be acheived without a specifically religious fear?

[edit:  Ah.. I understand now... I didn't phrase my question well enough.]

Ok, let me rephrase the question:

What good thing has religion contributed to society that could not have been acheived without religion?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Can't

Hambydammit wrote:

Can't say I understand what you mean. Are you being sarcastic, or are you saying that there is a fear instilled by religion which benefits society, and there is no way that societal benefit could be acheived without a specifically religious fear?

[edit: Ah.. I understand now... I didn't phrase my question well enough.]

Ok, let me rephrase the question:

What good thing has religion contributed to society that could not have been acheived without religion?

Those wafers.  I was the one kid who thought they were tasty, and I've never seen them outside of church.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do my shopping on Sunday

I do my shopping on Sunday mornings because all those old ladies with their coupons, and the fat ladies with 12 kids are all at Church...

That's a good thing to me anyway...

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm....seems that most

Hmm....seems that most people who believe in a god won't do morally bad things because they don't want to anger the big guy up there.  (I say most because there are the Muslims, who believe that their god commands them to kill everybody and their uncle.)   How's that to start?

I do have a point on atheism though, look where complete atheism and rational thought has gotten mankind so far ... and we see the French Revolution, with blood pouring down the streets (literally), anarchy, and constant fear of death.  The French Revolution was one of the biggest attempts at destroying everything related to Christianity, and it ended in utter chaos, anarchy, and murder everywhere.  Do we really need a repeat of that?

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there was no theism you

If there was no theism you wouldn't have wavefreak to kick around?

Surprised

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: seems that most

Quote:
seems that most people who believe in a god won't do morally bad things because they don't want to anger the big guy up there.

Are you suggesting that without religion, more than 2/3 of the people who've lived for the past 4 millenia or so would have had no morality?

In another thread, I posted hard data showing that in fact, the less religious a society is, the less societal dysfunction it has.

Science contradicts your supposition.

Quote:
I do have a point on atheism though, look where complete atheism and rational thought has gotten mankind so far ... and we see the French Revolution, with blood pouring down the streets (literally), anarchy, and constant fear of death. The French Revolution was one of the biggest attempts at destroying everything related to Christianity, and it ended in utter chaos, anarchy, and murder everywhere. Do we really need a repeat of that?

For the thousandth time (at least) Atheism does not equal political ideology. This is a "you too" fallacy, and it doesn't hold any water.

Please don't send this thread off course by trying to deflect from the original question. I made no claims about what atheism has or hasn't contributed to society, and I'm not interested in discussing it here.

I repeat my question:

What good thing has religion contributed to society that could not have happened without religion?

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: If there was no

Quote:

As usual, I stand in awe of your intellect.

Let me rephrase the question:

Aside from producing a desire within wavefreak for me to kick him, what good thing has religion contributed to society that could not have been acheived without religion?

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

As usual, I stand in awe of your intellect.

Let me rephrase the question:

Aside from producing a desire within wavefreak for me to kick him, what good thing has religion contributed to society that could not have been acheived without religion?

LOL.

Ya gotta admit that I am a rather atypical theist. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have received a PM from a

I have received a PM from a concerned theist. Why he did not wish to post this in the thread himself, I don't know, but I never want to be accused of being dishonest, so I'm going to post it myself.

http://www.verumserum.com/?p=25

This is a webpage attempting to refute the research I have cited on numerous occasions linking increased religiosity with increased societal dysfunction.

I'm not going to comment on everything on the page, but I will hit some highlights.

Quote:
So who is Gregory S. Paul and what are his qualifications to opine on the salubrious quality of agnosticism? We spent a considerable amount of time attempting to discover where Mr. (Dr.?) Paul received his training in sociology and/or statistical analysis, etc. Here’s what we found:
The above blank space is not a formatting error of some kind. It is the best we could come up with to signify nada, zero, zip, bupkis, nihilo,…nothing. Yes, that’s right. We found nothing. As near as we can tell, Mr. Paul has no advanced degrees in statistical analysis, demography, sociology, or any other “ology.” In fact, it appears as though he holds no advanced degrees of any kind. He is, in fact, an artist and “freelance paleontologist” who has published two books in the area of dinosaur studies that “re-imagine” how they may have lived and operated on this planet. And to be fair, Mr. Paul seems to be respected for this work.

A very long winded ad hominem. No attack on the work so far, so this can be disregarded.

Quote:

What about the study itself? Does it hold water? Admittedly, we here at Verum Serum are not statisticians (neither, it appears, is Mr. Paul). For educated criticism of Mr. Paul’s statistical work we refer you to Scott Gilbreath, who runs the Magic Statistics blog. Scott is a statistician by trade and has done a masterful job of critiquing Mr. Paul’s work. His conclusion:

In my professional judgment, the statistical and scientific validity of Mr. Paul’s study…can not be accepted.

But wait! There’s more! Here’s the conclusion of the George H. Gallup International Institute (Gallup has been known to work with numbers on occasion) as stated in a letter from George Gallup to the London Times where Mr. Paul’s study was highlighted by a gullible reporter.

Gregory Paul’s conclusion is based on a flawed analysis according to my research associate, D Michael Lindsay, an expert in the department of sociology at Princeton University. After carefully examining Paul’s international study, Mr. Lindsay maintains that it does not pass scholarly muster.

Possibly something here.  I haven't reviewed these critiques yet, but as yet, we have seen no actual criticism, only been pointed to others who have criticised it.

Quote:
In short, Gregory S. Paul is qualified to draw dinosaurs. He is NOT qualified to draw conclusions about the effects of religion on society. However, given that Mr. Paul is not an expert and that his study is not scholarly, our own non-scholarly response would seem appropriate and sufficient to the task of dismantling it.

Ad hom

(more to follow in another post)

Books about atheism

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion gives people the

Religion gives people the impetus to good that they would not otherwise have.  Let me explain.

It is easy to say that people should do good for the good of humanity, that the love for one another should be enough cause for any philanthropic actions.  I would agree.  However, this is not the case.  Humanity in general acts selfishly more often than not.  People look out for themselves more than anything else.  This is why capitalism thrives and communism fails economicaly.  We as humans have a very hard time to get ourselves to work for humanity. 

Religion combines what is good for humanity and what is good for the individual.  A man may not want to give any of his money to a charity, but will if under the threat of hellfire, or reward from God, depending on his denomination.  While I am sure that many here would be willing to sacrifice for mankind, there is undoubtably less reason for you to than one who is commanded to by a God.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Are you

Hambydammit wrote:

Are you suggesting that without religion, more than 2/3 of the people who've lived for the past 4 millenia or so would have had no morality?

In another thread, I posted hard data showing that in fact, the less religious a society is, the less societal dysfunction it has.

Science contradicts your supposition.

I stand corrected, thank you.  But if you really think about it, aren't people who believe in the big guy up there more likely to do right than wrong, seeing as how they believe they will be punished for wrong deeds?  And what about reincarnationists?  Wouldn't they be more likely to do right so that in their "next life" they can have a better life?  In the end, I'd probably just say that the average religious person is more moral than the average person who isn't religious.  (And before we get started on the ages old debate, I'm NOT saying that atheists don't have morals)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The first thing

Quote:

The first thing that bothered us was Mr. Paul’s peculiar selectivity. If the intent is to compare societies where faith is common to societies where faith is not, why were some countries included and others excluded. Scott at Magic Statistics noticed the same thing:

The plan of the study is to gather and compare data for countries he refers to variously as “prosperous developed democracies” and “developing democracies”…India would seem to fit in with “developing democracies”. Why was it excluded? Not “prosperous” enough? Don’t know: Mr. Paul doesn’t say. Why were Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, and the rest of the new eastern European democracies excluded?

We believe we can answer this question, at least in part. Based on Interpol data for the Russian Federation (year 2000), the murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants was 21.87, or approximately 3 times the rate in the U.S. Since we all know the Russian Federation (i.e. the USSR) was officially atheist for 75 years, this would seem to significantly undercut Mr. Paul’s thesis that religion is bad for your health.

Here I quote Gregory Paul:

"Among the developed democracies absolute belief in God, attendance of religious services and Bible literalism vary over a dozenfold, atheists and agnostics five fold, prayer rates fourfold, and acceptance of evolution almost twofold. Japan, Scandinavia, and France are the most secular nations in the west, the United States is the only prosperous first world nation to retain rates of religiosity otherwise limited to the second and third worlds (Bishop; PEW). Prosperous democracies where religiosity is low (which excludes the U.S.) are referred to below as secular developed democracies."

Note the words, "developed democracies."  Mr. Paul has answered this objection in the presentation of his methodology.  Clearly, there is a correlation between repressive non-democratic government and high rates of crime and societal dysfunction.  This is not disputed in any scientific circles I'm aware of.  By excluding such repressive governments from his survey, Mr. Paul has isolated religion as a variable.

Quote:

There is a broader issue regarding the selection of murder as the chief criteria for his study. Mr. Paul justifies this choice as a practical one. In his words,

Homicide is the best indicator of societal violence because of the extremity of the act and its unique contribution to levels of societal fear, plus the relatively reliable nature of the data.

But as we looked into homicide statistics, we discovered that it is a frequently remarked upon fact that the murder rate in the US is unusually high compared to other categories of crime. FBI statistics demonstrate that the unusually high murder rate is almost entirely the result of gang and drug-related homicides in major cities, as the chart below illustrates.

This criticism seems shallow to me.  Mr. Paul's contention is that religious societies tend to be more dysfunctional than non-religious societies.  It is worthwhile to note that if there is a correlation between societal religiousity and the prevalence of gang and drug related homicides, then this criticism would hold no water.  As yet, this line of reasoning seems unsubstantiated.

Quote:
We understand that “establishing causation” is not Mr. Paul’s goal, but a little common sense can’t hurt. Are drug lords and roving gangs of thugs spending a great deal of time in church? Or does the very nature of drug and gang-related crime, from which these murder statistics arise, seem rather to provide a case study in the Darwinian principle of “survival of the fittest?”

In any case, we suspect Mr. Paul chose to highlight murder because it is an outlying statistic that would therefore tend to prove his thesis. But as Mr. Paul’s own study demonstrates (with regard to suicide), there are numerous other indicators of societal health in which the United States appears to be comparable to European nations.

This sounds reasonable, and at least they're conceding that Mr. Paul is not trying to establish causation.  In the paragraphs that follow, the writer points out that theft, assault, and miscellaneous "contact crimes" do not fit the pattern.  The United States falls in the middle of the charts in these areas.

This criticism essentially asks us to disregard the high correlation of a significant number of societal indicators because all societal indicators don't share the same degree of correlation.  It's worth pointing out that the U.S. doesn't look particularly good in any category, but it looks less bad in some.  This fits Mr. Paul's description: 

"No democracy is known to have combined strong religiosity and popular denial of evolution with high rates of societal health. Higher rates of non-theism and acceptance of human evolution usually correlate with lower rates of dysfunction, and the least theistic nations are usually the least dysfunctional. None of the strongly secularized, pro-evolution democracies is experiencing high levels of measurable dysfunction. In some cases the highly religious U.S. is an outlier in terms of societal dysfunction from less theistic but otherwise socially comparable secular developed democracies. In other cases, the correlations are strongly graded, sometimes outstandingly so."

In other words, this whole line of criticism, that Mr. Paul selectively picked his categories, is true, and irrelevant.  He admits in the study that he is reporting the ones with the highest correlation.  That's his point.  None of the data I've seen contradicts the high correlations.  I can find nothing in the paper suggesting that all societal dysfunctions are directly correlated to religion.

More of Mr. Paul's words:

"It is therefore hoped that this initial look at a subject of pressing importance will inspire more extensive research on the subject. Pressing questions include the reasons, whether theistic or non-theistic, that the exceptionally wealthy U.S. is so inefficient that it is experiencing a much higher degree of societal distress than are less religious, less wealthy prosperous democracies. Conversely, how do the latter achieve superior societal health while having little in the way of the religious values or institutions? There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms (Aral and Holmes; Beeghley, Doyle, 2002). It is the responsibility of the research community to address controversial issues and provide the information that the citizens of democracies need to chart their future courses."

Quote:

In the mind of Gregory S. Paul, nothing good can come out of Christianity and religious faith. He has believed this for many years and has done his best to make his ideas available for public consumption. In this regard, bloggers who contacted The Journal of Religion and Society where Mr. Paul’s opus was published learned that the original draft made even greater claims for the data and had to be toned down.

We can’t fault him for his desire to share his ideas, that is after all the reason we blog and the essence of the blogoshpere, but we think it’s important to point when something is a conclusion based on scientific principles and methodologies and when it is part of a campaign (he would dislike the term crusade). Mr. Paul is a gifted illustrator but he is not a sociologist. His study is not a dispassionate product of science but an ugly exercise in anti-theist propaganda.

More ad hom.  Ok, maybe he's looking for results, but I still see no significant criticism of his results.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But if you really

Quote:
But if you really think about it, aren't people who believe in the big guy up there more likely to do right than wrong, seeing as how they believe they will be punished for wrong deeds?

I've never seen any data supporting this premise.  You'd think if there were a correlation, Christians would have pointed it out long ago, no?

Quote:
And what about reincarnationists?  Wouldn't they be more likely to do right so that in their "next life" they can have a better life?

Again, I've never seen any supporting data.  I tend to think that reincarnation might have less negative effects than monotheism, but as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any study showing any religious group to be any more moral than atheists.

Quote:
In the end, I'd probably just say that the average religious person is more moral than the average person who isn't religious.

A fine opinion, but there's no science backing it up, and there is science contradicting it.

Quote:
(And before we get started on the ages old debate, I'm NOT saying that atheists don't have morals)

Ok, you just think we're less moral.  Thanks a bunch.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It is easy to say

Quote:
It is easy to say that people should do good for the good of humanity, that the love for one another should be enough cause for any philanthropic actions. I would agree. However, this is not the case. Humanity in general acts selfishly more often than not. People look out for themselves more than anything else. This is why capitalism thrives and communism fails economicaly. We as humans have a very hard time to get ourselves to work for humanity.

I think you're mixing too many ideas in one pot.

Humans act selfishly when they can. This is not in dispute. Capitalism is not a system of morality. It's an economic system. Apples and oranges.

Again, I have yet to see any data supporting the premise that any group of religious people are more moral than atheists. In fact, there are proportionally less atheists in prison than theists. Highly secular democracies tend to have less overall crime than highly religious societies.

Quote:
Religion combines what is good for humanity and what is good for the individual.

I honestly don't see how this is so. We can figure out that killing, stealing, and assault are bad without help from a holy book. We can keep people from doing it by making these things against the law. We can punish those who do.

However, it takes religion for us to think that masturbation, homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, and nudity are bad. Religion adds bizarre notions of morality, and doesn't tell us anything we don't already know about practical morality.

Quote:
A man may not want to give any of his money to a charity, but will if under the threat of hellfire, or reward from God, depending on his denomination.

This has been covered a few months back. It turns out, non-religious people tend to be highly charitable.

Quote:
While I am sure that many here would be willing to sacrifice for mankind, there is undoubtably less reason for you to than one who is commanded to by a God.

Really?

I'm not saying no religious person has ever done anything noble. That would be ludicrous. I am simply saying that there are plenty of non-religious people doing noble things, too. This, plain and simple, leads to the conclusion that religion doesn't contribute anything special to morality.

Also, I don't understand why you think religion inspires greater sacrifice for mankind. According to the major religions, this life doesn't matter! Only the afterlife. Why bother trying to make the world a better place when the goal is heaven? Only a non-theist has the motivation that this is the only planet we get, and the only life we're going to live.

Books about atheism

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me try to clarify what

Let me try to clarify what I was trying to say:

People are selfish beings - there is no doubt in my mind of this.  I was once argued to with the idea(forget what it was called) that all our choices are self-motivated, that we always do what is best for ourselves, and as much as I hated the concept, I couldn't argue against it.

Therefore, for someone to commit a philanthropic act, there has to be some self motivation, be it something tangable or a good feeling.

Religion creates a type of self motivation for people.   

While we would certainly know right from wrong without religion, there would be less of a reason to follow these rules without religion backing it up. 

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Religion creates a

Quote:

Religion creates a type of self motivation for people.   

While we would certainly know right from wrong without religion, there would be less of a reason to follow these rules without religion backing it up.

How do you account for the facts that:

A) Philanthropy is not restricted to theist societies

B) Data seems to indicate that non-theists are no less philanthropic than theists, and possibly more in some cases.

C) Many of the worlds greatest philanthropists are atheists, and have been historically.

D) There are evolutionary and psychological explanations that explain philanthropy, without reference to religion.

Furthermore, how do you account for the fact that the only significant thing that the major religions contribute to the discussion of philanthropy is that the earth and this life on it don't matter, so long as you make the right choice regarding the afterlife?

Many non-theistic philosophies, in fact, stress philanthropy and self sacrifice.

Books about atheism

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
In fact, there are

In fact, there are proportionally less atheists in prison than theists. Highly secular democracies tend to have less overall crime than highly religious societies.

Perhaps the reason that there are more theists in prison is because they are converted after they get there.  Do you have any statistics to back up your statement about the crime in societies?  One last thing I want to clarify:  I said that the average atheist is less moral than the average theist.  When I say average atheist, I mean the person who just blindly follows along with what they are told about the world and society.  I'm not talking about the atheists here, who have certainly examined the facts and are supportive of their beliefs.  The average atheist doesn't care how the world was made, they just go along with what they hear from those in authority.  To conclude, the atheists here are certainly just as moral as most Christians.

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Again, I've never

Quote:

Again, I've never seen any supporting data.  I tend to think that reincarnation might have less negative effects than monotheism, but as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any study showing any religious group to be any more moral than atheists.

Since we're on the subject, what are the negative effects of monotheism?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Since we're on the

Quote:
Since we're on the subject, what are the negative effects of monotheism?

Forgive me.  I'm not going to answer this here, and I'd like it if nobody else sidetracked the thread.

I'll be happy to address this in another thread if you like.

I'm simply interested in someone presenting empirical evidence that religion has contributed something positive to the world that could not have been contributed without religion.

So far, the most convincing (and completely unsubstantiated!) claim seems to be:

"Religious people might be motivated to be somewhat more moral by their religion, and might not be as motivated without it."

First, this is simply saying that religion potentially has a positive affect on an already existing morality.  This is not something unique contributed by religion.  Clearly, both atheists and theists are moral, to some degree or another.  The lack of any substantial difference between the two is telling.  (Seriously, if there was any good data pointing to religious people being more moral, don't you think it'd be all over the 700 Club?)

Secondly, there is good data suggesting that people in religious countries are not as moral as those in secular countries. 

Even if it's true, it's pretty weak evidence for the amazing superpowers of the most intelligent being in the universe, don't you think?

As to the prison population, there is no data I'm aware of that could answer your question directly.  I don't intend to use the prison population as a pillar of my argument.  It is simply evidence that could well support my position, but does nothing to support the opposing side. 

Books about atheism

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 1. Secondly, there

Quote:

1. Secondly, there is good data suggesting that people in religious countries are not as moral as those in secular countries. 

2. Even if it's true, it's pretty weak evidence for the amazing superpowers of the most intelligent being in the universe, don't you think?

1. Where is this data?  I'm curious to see where it came from and such.

2. Yes, it is very weak evidence.

Let's try this now.   According to the Bible, man is created in God's image.  So, therefore, man has great worth because he is in God's image and he has a purpose in life - to worship and to serve God.  According to evolution, man is the result of a series of natural steps, and is a higher form of an animal.  He has no real purpose here on earth, because he is just another creature.  Theism at least gives you a purpose here on earth and a good deal of self-worth.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a good place to

Here's a good place to start looking.  Each stat has the source listed.

Quote:
According to the Bible, man is created in God's image.  So, therefore, man has great worth because he is in God's image and he has a purpose in life - to worship and to serve God.

Nice theory.  No backing data.  Anyway, you're suggesting that because people believe that god thinks they're worth something, then they think their life has purpose?

How do you explain the fact that atheists, by and large, feel a sense of purpose in life?  If atheists felt purposeless, you would expect very high rates of suicide and depression.  This is not the case.

Why would you think that the expectation of worshipping god for eternity would positively affect believers' actions on earth, when they are taught that their actions are meaningless -- only belief in Jesus determines their eternal destination?

Once again, this is an unsubstantiated claim that contradicts itself.  Atheists, by default, believe that this is the one chance at life.  Why would they risk bringing harm to themselves, or prison, or social stigma, by being immoral?  If you go to jail, that's it.  Nothing to look forward to in the afterlife to make up for your mistakes here.

This idea is dangerously close to deflecting from the original topic.  I want some evidence that religion has contributed something to humanity that could not have been gained without it.

Your belief that Christians might be more moral than atheists does not fit the criteria.  First, it's an unsubstantiated belief.  Second, atheists have morals, and many of them are, in fact, quite philanthropic -- so, neither morality nor philanthropy are unique to religion.  Third, there are less atheists in prison than theists, by population, which contradicts your theory.

Quote:
According to evolution, man is the result of a series of natural steps, and is a higher form of an animal.

and?

Quote:
He has no real purpose here on earth, because he is just another creature.

Where'd you get this idea?  Total non-sequitur.  There are plenty of reasons to get up in the morning, and plenty of reasons to want to stay alive, and plenty of reasons to help your fellow man.  Funny thing, only theists think atheists have no purpose.  We atheists, on the other hand, know that we do.

Quote:
Theism at least gives you a purpose here on earth and a good deal of self-worth.

Sorry.  Unless you can demonstrate that atheists feel purposeless, and have no sense of self worth, you can't make this claim.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 1. Where is this

Quote:
1. Where is this data?  I'm curious to see where it came from and such.

Whoops... you were asking about morality in religious vs. secular countries...

Here you go.

Note: the measure of morality for this is not all-inclusive.  It deals with murder, STDs, and several others, but it does not try to be all inclusive.  It is a preliminary study, with the purpose of inspiring more research. 

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Church modes.

The Church modes. Specifically: dorian, and mixolydian.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

Theism at least gives you a purpose here on earth and a good deal of self-worth.

Self worth? How can you have any self worth when all your successes are because an omnipotent being was holding your hand.

What about the part of christianity that tells us we are all worthless sinners?

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, you've hit on my

Actually, you've hit on my area of expertise, here. The Church Modes were not, in fact, invented by the church. The four authentic modes, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian, were codified in the 9th century (by the church) and Pope Gregory was given credit for inventing them.  This is simply not true.  Gregory had been dead for quite a while, and did not invent the authentic modes.  In fact, plainsong had been around since the Greeks codified it.  Boethius had written about it, but the scribes who named the "Church Modes" didn't read Latin so well, so they fudged the naming up.  The Church Modes don't resemble the Greek Modes of the same name.  They're just mutts, basically.  The church, however, launched a propaganda campaign, and gave Gregory credit.  The rumors persist to this day.

While the plagal modes were codified by the church,  there's no reason to think they weren't also borrowed from elsewhere.  In fact, the guy who finished inventing the church modes, Heinrich Glarean, was a Swiss Humanist.  (This was several centuries later, and brought the total number of modes up to 12.)

In any case, calling anything musical and religious a "contribution" is sort of a misnomer, because for close to half a century, the church had a nasty habit of excommunicating, banishing, or outright killing musicians whose work didn't live up to papal standards, which were, to say the least, a bit behind the times.

The one constant in church music has been an extreme reluctance to allow anything new. All you have to do is turn on a Christian radio station to hear that it's still true today!

For centuries, the interval of a diminished fifth was avoided like the devil. Actually, they thought it was the devil! Well, not exactly, but trust me. Really bad things would happen to your eternal soul if you didn't treat that interval properly. Literally centuries of music were tainted by the bizarre rules of avoiding the diminished fifth in all but the 'purest' of circumstances.

So, thanks for the contribution, but...

Survey Says!!!

PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHH!

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Mit der Dummheit

Quote:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens." ~ Schiller

Ok, here's where someone gets to call me out for being ignorant...

With the stupid gods fighting themselves?

what does this damn thing say?  I took one year of German in High School.  It's not holding up very well.

Books about atheism

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, Hamby, its not that

Look, Hamby, its not that atheists are not moral, responsible, people.  Many are.  What I am saying is that the average person is more likely to do a philanthropic action when he has religion because he now has more reasons to do so. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would humanity have

Would humanity have survived without religionl? 

I think a better question is what would the world be like today if there never had been any theism? What would have taken its place? In the absence of science would we have been able to organize societies without religion? We can't avoid the fact that it is only within the past few centuries that we have come to a point where our knowledge of the physical world allows alternative explanations to "god created it". Evolutionary theory would suggest that there was some survival advantage in theism, else it would not be so ubiquitous. If religiousness was detrimental to survival, it would have been selected against. If it were neutral, it would be more random. But it is nearly universal. This should lead us to conclude that religion was at least useful if not necessary.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problem I have with Mr.

The problem I have with Mr. Paul's study is that it actually raises more questions than it answers. The raw numbers tell us that STDs, violent crimes, etc are higher in the US and he can draw a statistical correlation to religious ideas. But I'm willing to be that if you looked at per capita consumption of Big Macs you would find the U.S. at the high end and Japan and Scandanavia at the low end. And we all know how France feels about McDonalds. It is plausible that consumption of hormone fed beef causes increased agression and libido. This is the type of study that invites further study. I would consider it interesting , maybe even compelling, but would not lean on it as proof of anything.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Wavefreak on

I agree with Wavefreak on the matter of religion being necessary in the past.  In fact, a while back I argued that religion was necessary for a civilization to survive, that religion was an integral part of human society that couldn't just be ignored.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Actually, you've hit on my area of expertise, here. The Church Modes were not, in fact, invented by the church. The four authentic modes, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian, were codified in the 9th century (by the church) and Pope Gregory was given credit for inventing them. This is simply not true. Gregory had been dead for quite a while, and did not invent the authentic modes. In fact, plainsong had been around since the Greeks codified it. Boethius had written about it, but the scribes who named the "Church Modes" didn't read Latin so well, so they fudged the naming up. The Church Modes don't resemble the Greek Modes of the same name. They're just mutts, basically. The church, however, launched a propaganda campaign, and gave Gregory credit. The rumors persist to this day.

Of course Gregory didn't invent the modes. But the Church ensured their survival up until the Baroque era. A decent job, if I may say so. Sure, there was secular music back then, but that was mostly just the troubadours (the French started on the path to secularism quite early... hopefully the US won't take as long to get there, eh?) and some motets.

Quote:
While the plagal modes were codified by the church, there's no reason to think they weren't also borrowed from elsewhere. In fact, the guy who finished inventing the church modes, Heinrich Glarean, was a Swiss Humanist. (This was several centuries later, and brought the total number of modes up to 12.)

It's not very accurate to say that he "finished inventing" diatonic modes. All of the diatonic modes were built from the diatonic scale. One of the modes which is credited to him is the Ionian mode, which was the most popularly used mode at the time (according to Glarean himself), and still is very widely used today, as the major scale. To say that he invented it would be about as accurate as saying that Gregory invented plainchant.

Quote:
In any case, calling anything musical and religious a "contribution" is sort of a misnomer, because for close to half a century, the church had a nasty habit of excommunicating, banishing, or outright killing musicians whose work didn't live up to papal standards, which were, to say the least, a bit behind the times.

Kinda makes me wish they were still running the business so they could "take care" of Fergie.

Quote:
The one constant in church music has been an extreme reluctance to allow anything new. All you have to do is turn on a Christian radio station to hear that it's still true today!

Actually, contemporary Christian music, like most other forms of "pop" music, emphasizes columnic chord changes, whereas the earlier church music (at least up until the Baroque period) focused more on intertwining melodies.

Quote:
For centuries, the interval of a diminished fifth was avoided like the devil. Actually, they thought it was the devil! Well, not exactly, but trust me. Really bad things would happen to your eternal soul if you didn't treat that interval properly. Literally centuries of music were tainted by the bizarre rules of avoiding the diminished fifth in all but the 'purest' of circumstances.

They didn't avoid it just because they thought it was the devil. They avoided it because they thought it was the most terrifically awful thing they had ever heard. The whole reason it got associated with the devil in the first place was because it sounded so bad. So if it hadn't been called the "Devil's interval," and avoided like the plague, it probably would have been called the "Horrendously ugly interval" and avoided like the plague. Of course, this is overlooking the fact that earlier on, the Church had been against polyphony altogether.

Quote:
So, thanks for the contribution, but...

Survey Says!!!

PPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHH!

I'd expect nothing else but such a response in light of such a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. As I've said before, I don't measure religion by its contributions, be they positive or negative.

Oh, and my signature translates (roughly) to "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." The quotation comes from the play "Die Jungfrau von Orleans."

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But the Church

Quote:
But the Church ensured their survival up until the Baroque era

Well... if you call wielding an iron fist over a continent, punishing those who dissented "ensuring survival"... whatever works for you.

Quote:
Sure, there was secular music back then, but that was mostly just the troubadours (the French started on the path to secularism quite early... hopefully the US won't take as long to get there, eh?) and some motets.

And if you look at the history of the troubadors and trouvers next to that of the church, you'll see that the minstrel types were constantly inventing things, and the church was constantly rejecting the inventions as sinful.

Quote:
It's not very accurate to say that he "finished inventing" diatonic modes.

No more have been added since.  I'd say he finished.

Quote:
All of the diatonic modes were built from the diatonic scale.

You've got it backwards.  Diatonicism didn't show up until around the Baroque era.  The Ionian is identical to the major scale, but it is not treated the same way, and does not function as a major scale.

Quote:
To say that he invented it would be about as accurate as saying that Gregory invented plainchant.

Fair enough, he didn't "invent" it, either.  My point was that the church simply hijacked existing modes and codified them.  If you like, I'll award one point to the church for their creative use of pen and paper, but I'm going to take away five for repressing all other ideas that didn't suit them.

Quote:
Actually, contemporary Christian music, like most other forms of "pop" music, emphasizes columnic chord changes, whereas the earlier church music (at least up until the Baroque period) focused more on intertwining melodies.

You've missed where I was going completely, but it's ok.  I was kind of just making a bad joke about Christian pop music.  I was speaking more of the fact that just about the time grunge was hitting the "secular" music scene, the Christians were discovering hair metal.  (OK...I know that's an exaggeration... it's just a joke... but Christian music does suck balls.)

Quote:
They didn't avoid it just because they thought it was the devil. They avoided it because they thought it was the most terrifically awful thing they had ever heard. The whole reason it got associated with the devil in the first place was because it sounded so bad. So if it hadn't been called the "Devil's interval," and avoided like the plague, it probably would have been called the "Horrendously ugly interval" and avoided like the plague. Of course, this is overlooking the fact that earlier on, the Church had been against polyphony altogether.

Um... yeah.  It was associated with the devil because it sounded bad.  Actually, many of the secular musicians figured out fairly early on how to approach and resolve the diminished fifth.  Had it not been for superstitious avoidance, perhaps diatonicism would have been invented centuries earlier!  Pure speculation, I suppose, but the point is, the church didn't invent anything.  They just used it.

Quote:
I'd expect nothing else but such a response in light of such a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. As I've said before, I don't measure religion by its contributions, be they positive or negative.

Nothing to it.  I'm just having fun bickering because it's something I know alot about.

Perhaps in another post, I'll ask you what it is you measure a religion by, but I don't want to sidetrack this one.

Quote:
Oh, and my signature translates (roughly) to "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." The quotation comes from the play "Die Jungfrau von Orleans."

Ah.  Thank you.

I had a couple of words right, anyway.

Books about atheism

Master Jedi Dan
User is offlineOffline
How about the incentives

How about the incentives that religion offers?  Life after death in paradise forever.  Rewards for good things done here on earth.  I'll give an analogy.  Some people will take out the trash at their house willingly.  But if you gave them $100 every time they did it, they would definitely do it every week (i.e. when the trash guy comes to pick it up).  People who believe that god will reward them for good works are more likely to do good.  It's common reason.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Master Jedi Dan

Master Jedi Dan wrote:
People who believe that god will reward them for good works are more likely to do good. It's common reason.

I hate this idea. Serving god simply for the reward is selfish and ends in hellfire. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: Religion

xamination wrote:

Religion gives people the impetus to good that they would not otherwise have. Let me explain.

It is easy to say that people should do good for the good of humanity, that the love for one another should be enough cause for any philanthropic actions. I would agree. However, this is not the case. Humanity in general acts selfishly more often than not. People look out for themselves more than anything else. This is why capitalism thrives and communism fails economicaly. We as humans have a very hard time to get ourselves to work for humanity.

Religion combines what is good for humanity and what is good for the individual. A man may not want to give any of his money to a charity, but will if under the threat of hellfire, or reward from God, depending on his denomination. While I am sure that many here would be willing to sacrifice for mankind, there is undoubtably less reason for you to than one who is commanded to by a God.

The fundies I encountered were very unlikely to help the poor.  In fact, they always blamed the poor for their problems. The religious right tends to put all tithes back into the church.  The Catholic Church isn't much better.  In fact, I've never seen a church that helped the poor with no strings attached.

Obviously this is anecdotal and I'm sure there are churches that aren't as disgustingly tight-fisted as the churches I've encountered. 

Personally, I've donated much more to charity since I became an atheist. I got rid of the right-wing agenda and religion.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The fundies I

Quote:

The fundies I encountered were very unlikely to help the poor.  In fact, they always blamed the poor for their problems. The religious right tends to put all tithes back into the church.  The Catholic Church isn't much better.  In fact, I've never seen a church that helped the poor with no strings attached.

Obviously this is anecdotal and I'm sure there are churches that aren't as disgustingly tight-fisted as the churches I've encountered.

Well, religion has no way of weeding out the hypocrites.  But the point I made is still valid.   

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: Look,

xamination wrote:
Look, Hamby, its not that atheists are not moral, responsible, people. Many are. What I am saying is that the average person is more likely to do a philanthropic action when he has religion because he now has more reasons to do so.

And your evidence for such a claim? Seems to me that people are philantrhropic with and without religion, in about equal amounts if not more without.   

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abbey monks tend to make

Abbey monks tend to make great beer.  That's their current #1 contribution to society, imo.  Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: Abbey

stuntgibbon wrote:
Abbey monks tend to make great beer.  That's their current #1 contribution to society, imo.  Smiling

And they only do it in Belgium (and 1 in the Netherlands.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aren't there still also

Aren't there still also brewing monks in Germany too? (Belgium has most of them though)

Here's another thing that wouldn't have happened without religion (because why else would you build a church...)

The construction of the Sedlec Ossuary, the chapel built and decorated completely from human bones.  Charming!

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~silver_p/kutna-1.html