Since Lev. 11:7 says touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean, do I need gloves to play football?

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since Lev. 11:7 says touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean, do I need gloves to play football?

Free bashing to the first fundie who makes some absurd blanket statement like "The OT doesn't apply to us" or "Jesus freed us from the old law".

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The verse is right. Pigs

The verse is right. Pigs roll around in the mud all day and are probably covered in bacteria.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. But then everything is

Lol. But then everything is unclean. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Lol. But then

Vastet wrote:

Yeah, but a long dead pig (rotting) is probably covered with all kinds of scary bacteria. Besides, ever play football in the mud? Just goes to show, pig skins make you dirty. Tongue out

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you were playing

If you were playing football, then you would be kicking the ball. With your feet. Unless of course you happened to be the goaltender, in which case you'd probably be wearing gloves anyway.

Wink

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: If

LosingStreak06 wrote:

If you were playing football, then you would be kicking the ball. With your feet. Unless of course you happened to be the goaltender, in which case you'd probably be wearing gloves anyway.

Wink

LOL, I was talking about US football. The one that's similar to rugby.

Oh man, I'm gonna catch shrapnel for comparing football to rugby.

simple theist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The answer is no. It is not

The answer is no. It is not a sin to touch a football, only a dead pig.

1st a football is not a dead pig. It's missing several key things to be classified as a pig. Namely everything except the skin.

2nd and the more likely correct answer (though I suppose the above could be considered correct) is that you should try to understand the underlying reasons for why a specific law was made. It wasn't healthy to touch a dead animal, so it made one unclean to touch it. It was God's way to avoid explaining the scientific reasons behind it to a group of people that would have never understood the science behind it.

3rd -- It is possible to view the law as not applying to gentiles. The law was given to Jews and Jews have to obey it. In fact the New Testament actually states what Old Testament laws gentiles have to obey.

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Umm....footballs aren't made

Umm....footballs aren't made from pigs - they're cowhide and have been for at least 30 years.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm guessing that the

I'm guessing that the reason a football is sometimes called a "pigskin" is that the earliest footballs were made from actual gutted pigs. However, that is not the case today. Footballs are made of leather, either real (moo) or synthetic.

LosingStreak06 wrote:

How DARE you even THINK of blaspheming the most Holy name of American Football!Yell

j/k don't take it too seriouslyTongue out

But all joking aside, I really don't understand why touching a football would be considered the same level of sin as eating bacon (mmm, baconTongue out). Maybe it's because it's called a pigskin, but as I've said, "pigskin" is a misnomer.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's the difference

What's the difference between american football and rugby?Smiling

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote: What's the

LovE-RicH wrote:

Rugby (and I say this as an American) is more fun to watch.  It doesn't stop every three seconds for a commercial. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: LovE-RicH

Textom wrote:

LovE-RicH wrote:

Rugby (and I say this as an American) is more fun to watch.  It doesn't stop every three seconds for a commercial. 

Rugby players don't wear wimpy body armour. WIMPS!

There's actually two different games which go by the name of Rugby, one is Rugby League, which is rather boring and stops on the slightest contact, the other is Rugby Union which is far more exciting. I myself play neither game, far too rough for me, but I am partial to a kick about at football.

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Wink

It's goalkeeper! Call yourself a footy fan. Pish. Having seen a bit of Yankball it just looks boring. I mean there are players who only exist to beat the shit out of other players, there's very little ball skill involved. I was about to make the same joke though Losing Streak. Damn you.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
US Football is my favorite

US Football is my favorite sport - these guys are obviously tough, as you got guys weighing 300 lbs or more running into each other full speed - if they didn't have pading people would die!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

It's goalkeeper! Call yourself a footy fan. Pish. Having seen a bit of Yankball it just looks boring. I mean there are players who only exist to beat the shit out of other players, there's very little ball skill involved. I was about to make the same joke though Losing Streak. Damn you.

Actually, I don't care for association football. I happen to be an American, and so I'm much more partial to American football. Sure, it doesn't have anywhere near the finesse of "soccer," but it has more violence. And we Americans are very very fond of our violence. That there are players whose sole purpose is to run full speed into other players is a testament to that fact.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
inspectormustard

inspectormustard wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Yeah, but a long dead pig (rotting) is probably covered with all kinds of scary bacteria. Besides, ever play football in the mud? Just goes to show, pig skins make you dirty. Tongue out

A shopping cart handle or elevator button is typically dirtier than a muddy field. Eye-wink

The difference between rugby and US football?

Football:

Rugby:

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Most Americans find soccer

Most Americans find soccer slightly less exciting than watching grass grow or paint dry.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
simple theist wrote: 2nd

simple theist wrote:

2nd and the more likely correct answer (though I suppose the above could be considered correct) is that you should try to understand the underlying reasons for why a specific law was made. It wasn't healthy to touch a dead animal, so it made one unclean to touch it. It was God's way to avoid explaining the scientific reasons behind it to a group of people that would have never understood the science behind it.

That was very considerate of him.

So, when is god going to provide the updated version of the bible that will take into account humanity's massive gains in knowledge?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: simple theist

Fish wrote:
simple theist wrote:

That was very considerate of him.

So, when is god going to provide the updated version of the bible that will take into account humanity's massive gains in knowledge?

Why did he have to make dead animals unhealthy to touch?  He wouldn't have had to make these silly laws if he'd just made it ok to touch dead animals. 

Also, why couldn't he just give them the scientific knowledge that we have now if he already knew it?  If he had done that, think about how many people wouldn't have died during the plague or something like that.  What was his reasons for witholding that knowledge and letting people die? 

Since the bible was written by man, it makes sense to incorporate the social taboos that already existed.  Religion is about controlling the people so it would make sense that you'd find taboos in every holy book.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote: What's the

LovE-RicH wrote:
What's the difference between american football and rugby? Smiling

The number of waiting ambulances on the sidelines.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.