How would you define Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence?

simple theist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
How would you define Omnipresence, Omniscience, Omnipotence?

How would you define Omnipresence, Omniscience, & Omnipotence? If you don't mind, please also post your religious beliefs as well. (This is only so I can determine if there is a patern in how you define the terms.) Also, I would ask that you don't use a dictionary. Define the terms yourself, as you would define them. I'm attempting to gather this information for a future post.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Omnipresence: being

Omnipresence: being everywhere all at once - There is no place that it can be said you are not. This could be tightened to mean that you are entirely in every place all at once (meaning the universe is not omnipresent as only pat of it is in any given place)

Omniscience: knowing everything - there is not one piece of information you are unaware of.

Omnipotence: being able to do anything - there is nothing that you lack the ability to do.

There are inherent logical problems with assigning these qualities to something, particularly omnipotence and especially when it is applied in combination with the others. "If god is everywhere he is unable to move"

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

This could be tightened to mean that you are entirely in every place all at once (meaning the universe is not omnipresent as only pat of it is in any given place)

This seems wrong. The universe is everywhere at once but its parts are not. No?

My definitions:

Omniscient: Knows everything that is knowable.

Omnipotent: Able to do anything that is possible.

Omnipresent: No good definition. Have to think about it. May not apply. At least in Christian theology, this saying god is everywhere would mean god is in hell as well as heaven.

I would add

Omnibenevolent: Does what is best for the totality of all that lives, not necessarily what is best for humans alone. 

I have no religious affiliation. I'm a loose canon.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Wavefreak, Doesn't your

Wavefreak,

Doesn't your definition of omnipotent let out the miracles that many Christians crow about?

They're not going to be happy. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
My religious beliefs are a

My religious beliefs are a kind of hybrid of ( in no particular order), Philosophical Theism, Pan-theism, Spiritualistic Christian Gnosticism, congruent aspects of Buddhism/Hinduism and Jainism which basically amounts to Taoism which is almost equal to the Gnosticism already mentioned.  This essentially amounts to no religion at all because there's nothing conservative in that mixture, but I know conservative religions quite well I simply don't follow them religiously.

Omniscient : All-Knowing/Seeing

Omnipotent : All-Powerful/Mighty

Omnipresence : All-Being (All itself)

Omnibenevolent  : All-Good/Just

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Wavefreak,

Doesn't your definition of omnipotent let out the miracles that many Christians crow about?

They're not going to be happy.

Not entirely. It allows for actions that are beyond our capability or understanding. But it eliminates stupid things like god making a rock so big s(he) can't move it.