Are Atheists intellectuals or just burned by the Church?

brand0n
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Are Atheists intellectuals or just burned by the Church?

Before you go off on me because of my spelling errors, grammer or because my logic isn't flawless, I want you all to know that I am not perfect. I sometimes think aetheists have a good argument but I disagree with most of their beliefs. When I saw Brian and Kelly on the ABC show I couldn't help but remember all the aetheists, homosexuals, liberals and agnostics that I debated with in high school who were always so angry and didn't display kindness or respect. Not a great advertisement for your point of view. But anyways, I think Brian and Kelly at least looked alot better than Kirk and Ray. You both are way more appealing to this modern culture. My belief is that most people who hate God whether you call yourself an aethiest, agnostic, liberal or whatever have been burned by the church or suffered extreme traumatic situations that have left them hating God. If I was molested, abused or been a part of an unhealthy church it would be hard to believe a God existed. I would probably do everything I could to explain away a God because it would hurt too much to believe he existed. Brian and Kelly can either of you look back to an abusive father, a bad pastor, a sexually abusive boyfriend or girlfriend, an uncle or aunt that hurt you in ways you can't explain and see that it might of influenced why you can't see that Jesus loves you? If you think I am full of crap then please let me know. But I have asked this question to my homosexual, aetheist and agnostic friends who seem to hate the Jesus I love and they all have admitted to me that it was a person who turned them away from God and not God himself. I pray for you guys and I want you to know that I care for you guys and I would love to sit down and drink coffee with you because you probably are more interesting then many Christians that I have met. But I still love Jesus. Gotta love our free-thinking America. Tell me what you think.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
brand0n wrote:

brand0n wrote:

Hey Piriahjane

Thanks for welcoming me into your communit. I understand now that when walking into someone's home for the first time that I should probably take off my shoes and be a bit more polite.

You have given me the only welcoming message, in my opinion.

If atheists are so open-minded why I have found them to come across so close-minded. You say anything about Jesus and you're labeled ignorant. I would respect someone so much more if they asked some questions rather then just spewed their beliefs and ended their post with a cruel comment.

My question to you, so that I can understand your beliefs or unbelief, is if you could tell me the number one most convincing thought of why I should be an atheist? I say one because I have found that if I ask for all the thoughts you guys have a lot of them. I want to chew on one at a time. Anymore and the argument becomes confusing. I really do want to understand.

I try to be a diplomatic as possible to everyone involved.

Perhaps the reason you find that people are coming across close-minded is because you're post aren't exactly... thought out. You're still being a bit antagonistic and I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't realize you're being that way.

Many theists come on to this forum to antagonize or otherwise bash the members. If people are coming across as short and rude to you, perhaps your tone is raising defenses. When a person is insulted or misrepresented time and again, they tend to be a little curt about it.

Not all theists are treated rudely on this forum. Most people are here to engage in debate and learning. Cory T is wonderful as well as Wavefreak and both are theists.

I cannot tell you why you should be an atheist. I could tell you why I am one, but I have no intention of convincing someone else to be one. If you are truly curious in why people are atheists, please read these forums. Look over and become familiar with the topics that are brought up. And above all, be respectful.

The more posts you make that are respectful and purposeful, the better.

You asked about quoting people. If you want to quote someone, click on the 'quote' option under their post. You'll see codes that look like this:

[ quote=brand0n] - This starts the quote (minus the space after the bracket)

[ /quote] - this ends the quote (minus the space after the bracket)

You can write in between and these codes should separate your coments from other. There is a tutorial thread floating around here done by Susan, who is much better than this then I am.

[EDIT] Susan rocks for her quote thread!!!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
brand0n wrote:

brand0n wrote:

My question to you, so that I can understand your beliefs or unbelief, is if you could tell me the number one most convincing thought of why I should be an atheist? I say one because I have found that if I ask for all the thoughts you guys have a lot of them. I want to chew on one at a time. Anymore and the argument becomes confusing. I really do want to understand.

Because the concept of "God" and of "spiritual" and "supernatural" means absolutely nothing.

Read this to start:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/kill_em_with_kindness/7720

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
First off I do appreciate

First off I do appreciate that you have come back to face the music, (so to speak) even if only for a few posts.

brand0n wrote:
In the case of the average pastor molesting that is just sin at work. We all have fallen short of the glory of God.

I find "sin" an incredibly childlike concept that takes advantage of what is natural human guilt.  The talking snake and flaming sword portion of the christian sin story doesn't help your case much either.  Every culture in history has their own version of right and wrong.  Christianity has done an extremely poor job or preventing wrongs and an amazingly effective job of providing justification for them. 

Perhaps your god could have provided a specific commandment not to sexually abuse children.  He was pretty specific about not picking up sticks on the sabbath and punishment for your slave.  Perhaps fingering children was not one of his priorites.

Quote:
Nothing hurts me more than when I see the name of Christ smeared by his followers.

That is what is referred to as a "No true scotsman" fallacy.  You should look that one up.

Quote:
I hope that I can be the type of Christian that atheists, catholics, muslims or anyone can at least respect because I show love and kindness whether they think I am wrong or not.

Love and kindness is the pretty veil, religion loves to hide under.  There is nothing loving or kind about banishing someone to eternal torture if they choose not to buy what you're selling.  Religious belief often comes with its own self defense mechanism.  This mechanism effectively excludes those who refuse its  ahem.."love" as "heretics", "blasphemers" , etc. and eventually this "love" (as history so often shows) would remove them all from the planet. 

Quote:
I think by me going to this site I am at least allowing myself to think outside the box.

I agree and this is laudable.  I read theist posts here all the time and try to keep an open mind.  So far, I've found none of their posts original or compelling but there's always tomorrow.  

Quote:
I don't know why I keep getting nailed and called closed-minded for saying that I believe in God.

Ignoring the egotistical martyr reference for a moment, you were called close minded for stating that your mind was already made up.  This is called, "close minded", no matter how much you (or even the homosexuals, atheists and liberals you had to work with) wish it were not so.   

Quote:
 Just becaue I am not an atheist doesn't mean I am wrong it just means I believe something else.

No one her is forcing you to do anything.  There are no threats of violence, death or torture derived from atheism or this site.  Now turn this around to examine your own beliefs and you will find this is not so.  I think your beliefs are absolutely false but there is no requirement that I hurt you or banish you for them.  One of us lives under oppression and tryanny.  Hint!.....It's not you.   

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

ABx
User is offlineOffline
Quote: If atheists are so

Quote:
If atheists are so open-minded why I have found them to come across so close-minded.  You say anything about Jesus and you're labeled ignorant.  I would respect someone so much more if they asked some questions rather then just spewed their beliefs and ended their post with a cruel comment.
Think of it this way: how would you react if an atheist came to your church and started asking why you hate science, asked if you had bad experiences with being labeled stupid because you couldn't understand it, insisted that they were only there to remind themselves why they aren't christian, didn't seem to pay much attention to the explanations you give, and then started calling you close minded about it? Envision also that this has happened many many times before as intentional attempts to provoke argument, and that all the same things have long explanations immediately around the athiest asking the question, who doesn't seem to notice. (Hint: This has all been gone over innumerable times on this forum, you may wish to spend some time reading through some of the past threads.)

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Think of it this

Quote:
Think of it this way: how would you react if an atheist came to your church and started asking why you hate science, asked if you had bad experiences with being labeled stupid because you couldn't understand it, insisted that they were only there to remind themselves why they aren't christian, didn't seem to pay much attention to the explanations you give, and then started calling you close minded about it?

why do I really want to try this now?

Seriously, this is how I feel about creationists. "Why do you hate science?"

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

Quote:
Think of it this way: how would you react if an atheist came to your church and started asking why you hate science, asked if you had bad experiences with being labeled stupid because you couldn't understand it, insisted that they were only there to remind themselves why they aren't christian, didn't seem to pay much attention to the explanations you give, and then started calling you close minded about it?

I'll take a stab at this. Christians hate anything that threatens their entry into heaven. Having accepted that the bible is the revealed word of god, they are forced into accepting everything it says. To deny part of the bible is to risk damnation. The fear of damnation is sufficient enough to negate the obviousness of science, even to the point where they will say that the "truth" of science is an elaborate deception created by Satan to ensnare the faithful.

ABx
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
Hopefully Brand0n will have a better answer..

Quote:
You're probably right, but I couldn't think of a better way to turn it around in a way that Brand0n might possibly understand why he hasn't been granted a warm welcome thus far. Granted, I left a lot of the worse stuff out.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, since you came back,

OK, since you came back, let's GO! 

brand0n wrote:
Before you go off on me because of my spelling errors, grammer or because my logic isn't flawless, I want you all to know that I am not perfect.
Damn, I wanted to slam you for using "grammer" over the proper" grammar" but....oh well.
brand0n wrote:
I sometimes think aetheists have a good argument but I disagree with most of their beliefs.
Being conservative and christian, I'd expect so. I guess liberals really are attracted to atheism.
brand0n wrote:
When I saw Brian and Kelly on the ABC show I couldn't help but remember all the aetheists, homosexuals, liberals and agnostics that I debated with in high school who were always so angry and didn't display kindness or respect. Not a great advertisement for your point of view.
There is no "atheist point of view" except the lack of belief in a god. Regardless, high school students are angry anyway. Don't take angry highschoolers to be representative of anything besides angry highschoolers.
brand0n wrote:
But anyways, I think Brian and Kelly at least looked alot better than Kirk and Ray.
Especially Kelly. HOOOOYEAH!
brand0n wrote:
You both are way more appealing to this modern culture.
WHAT? Dude, you have a fucking radical evangelical president that, until recently, was insanely popular. I have a pretty popular and super religious Prime Minister. Christianity is the majority religion in most countries in Europe and the Americas, and much of Africa, and the South Pacific, and parts of Asia. Atheists are, in north america, the least trusted group overall. We beat the fucking muslims, and they were behind 9/11! Seriously, what the fuck do we have to do to overcome this? (and conversely, what do muslims have to do to become less trusted than atheists? Seriously, they're giving it their best shot and coming up short...what the hell?)
brand0n wrote:
My belief is that most people who hate God whether you call yourself an aethiest, agnostic, liberal or whatever have been burned by the church or suffered extreme traumatic situations that have left them hating God.
ACK! I DO NOT HATE GOD! FUUUUUUUUUUCK!
brand0n wrote:
If I was molested, abused or been a part of an unhealthy church it would be hard to believe a God existed.
Why? Your god is a sadistic fucker.
brand0n wrote:
I would probably do everything I could to explain away a God because it would hurt too much to believe he existed.
Sure it would.[/sarcasm] But if there was no reason to believe, it would hurt the one who spent all their life serving the nonexistant deity.
brand0n wrote:
Brian and Kelly can either of you look back to an abusive father, a bad pastor, a sexually abusive boyfriend or girlfriend, an uncle or aunt that hurt you in ways you can't explain and see that it might of influenced why you can't see that Jesus loves you?
Wow. You have balls! "tell me your most painful experience, and I'll tell you that your entire world view is because you can't get over it." Not cool.
brand0n wrote:
If you think I am full of crap then please let me know. But I have asked this question to my homosexual, aetheist and agnostic friends who seem to hate the Jesus I love and they all have admitted to me that it was a person who turned them away from God and not God himself.
Was that person themselves? Maybe that wasn't what they said, but that was what you heard. Maybe a person made them question, but didn't kill the faith.
brand0n wrote:
I pray for you guys and I want you to know that I care for you guys and I would love to sit down and drink coffee with you because you probably are more interesting then many Christians that I have met.
Thank you.
brand0n wrote:
But I still love Jesus. Gotta love our free-thinking America. Tell me what you think.
huh?

Check this out:  http://www.rationalresponders.com/my_deconversion_and_what_led_to_it

Read it. You will notice that:

Traumatic, emotional experiences generally made me go CLOSER to religion. 

I left because I questioned. Yes, my fiance breaking up with me because her parents told her god didn't want us together made me question harder, but I was questioning before that.

I was actually happier after I let christianity. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle

AmericanIdle wrote:

Brand0n wrote:
molester

I have not seen you called a molester once and have seen no evidence for this. The church however
(and not just catholics) has a long history of molestation, sex abuse and the coverup of these. Google church scandal at any given time (including now) and there will be dozens of cases across the country involving church and sex abuse. There is one right now on my local news.

Indeed.  I was too young at the time of the incident with my church to know what was going on, but I was told much later by my mother that the church took the side of the molester! 

The next church we attended was a Foursquare Church and guess what happened there?  The pastor molested little boys for years before he got caught.  One of the boys only made it to his teenage years before he committed suicide.  This pastor was also a teacher at my fundy school.

My family stopped going to church regularly at this point, but I still went to fundy school and my family still believed.  That blows your "burned by the church" theory right out of the water.  If ever someone was burned by the church, it was my mother and she is still religious.  In fact, I would say she's religiously insane.

I would love to see a study done on the incidence of molestation in various churches and the responses of church leaders. 

As for Brand0n, I wonder why he decided that by calling churches on their horrendous record of child abuse, we are calling him a child molester?  It has nothing to do with you, Brand0n, unless you make it yours. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

Quote:

Hehe.

I need to find an acoustic piano on which to practice and my mother suggested a church.  You know, I really would rather not practice at a church.  First of all, I feel uncomfortable either sanctioning or deceiving a church by using their piano.  

I would have to tell the pastor I'm an atheist. Also, I'd find it nearly impossible not to plant atheist tracts in the hymnals.  I mean, the church goes out of its way to proselytize me.  I just feel I'm returning the favor. Smiling 

Still, a part of me thinks it would be in bad taste.  So, no. I do not want to practice at a church.  And yet, that part of me that wants to help the faithful take off their blinders would really like the opportunity to distribute the FFRF non-tracts in my possession.  How long would I have access to that acoustic piano? Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Negative Plethora
User is offlineOffline
Nope...never been 'burned'

Nope...never been 'burned' by a church.

Actually, the only times I've even been to a church were for funerals and weddings. I've been an atheist all my life.

VonSchnee
VonSchnee's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have not been burned out

I have not been burned out by any church. I was an athiest long before I was forced to go to a church as a child. I am a freethinking intellectual, not some poor fool speaking doom if you don't follow the truth way.

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
brand0n wrote: Hey

brand0n wrote:
Hey kellym78. thanks for responding. I am a total dork. I got all gitty and yelled for my wife to come over and see your post. You're a TV star : )

That's weird.  

Quote:
I guess I should have asked the question how did you become an atheist rather than assume that your story is the same as some of my friends stories. If you would be so kind to tell me your journey in a nutshell of how you became so convinced that God doesn't exist I would appreciate it. With all do respect because I am getting destroyed on this thread, if you are mad at a God that doesn't exist how do you explain your comment on the show when you said, "even if God did exist I wouldn't want to spend an eternity with a tyrant," that sounds a bit angry. It isn't an exact quote but we have it on video. And by the way I looked up this ray comfort character and I feel like they chose a crappy representitive for Christianity. I would of liked to see Ravi Zacharias (maybe spelled wrong) and Mark Driscoll (pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle) talk to you guys. That would of been more interesting for me.

Well, I've talked about my deconversion on the show, and I'm not going to recap here, if only because I don't feel like typing it. Anyway, it was all research, no molestation.

My statement on Nightline was in response to the classic "What if you're wrong" question (aka Pascal's Wager), taken out of its context for heightened drama, and it may sound angry, but it's a response to the character presented in the bible as being perfect, good, and loving. If it is true  (which it isn't) and I died and went to heaven, that is what I would say. And just fyi, the actual quote is "I would rather go to hell than worship a megalomaniacal tyrant."  

magilum
User is offlineOffline
This sounds like such a

This sounds like such a dumb, baiting question. If anyone is wondering about this in earnest, I haven't been traumatized by the church, unless you count my Catholic baptism. I've sat through masses for weddings and funerals, and I've even worked as a videographer for church events. I respect the dead, congratulate the betrothed, and take my work seriously when I'm shooting. However, I've felt zero inclination to remain at the church, felt zero fulfillment by listening to the priests, monsignors or bishops. I look at the whole thing with detached amusement.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
brand0n wrote: I understand

brand0n wrote:
I understand now that when walking into someone's home for the first time that I should probably take off my shoes and be a bit more polite.

Polite, yes but there is no need to take your shoes off. No telling how long you plan to stay - lol

brand0n wrote:
You have given me the only welcoming message, in my opinion.

Welcome!

brand0n wrote:
If atheists are so open-minded why I have found them to come across so close-minded.

We're not.

brand0n wrote:
You say anything about Jesus and you're labeled ignorant. I would respect someone so much more if they asked some questions rather then just spewed their beliefs and ended their post with a cruel comment.

Ahhhh...I think I am beginning to see why you think atheists are close-minded. Why exactly do you think an atheist wants to hear something about jesus? Is it possible that you might get a little touchy if someone said they believed in Big Foot AND told you that Big Foot loves you? Or would you think that person was a bit strange and would you care if Big Foot loves you?

brand0n wrote:
My question to you, so that I can understand your beliefs or unbelief, is if you could tell me the number one most convincing thought of why I should be an atheist?

You shouldn't unless you want to. If you want to then ok, be one but it is really no one's business but your own to decide what you believe in and why.

brand0n wrote:
I say one because I have found that if I ask for all the thoughts you guys have a lot of them. I want to chew on one at a time. Anymore and the argument becomes confusing. I really do want to understand.

What is it you want to understand - why you should be an atheist are why others are atheists? If it is the former, you really need to do your own research for that. Atheists aren't real big on telling others what to think. We can show you how to think, but if you are looking for someone to tell you what to think, stick with religion.

If it is the latter you might as well try to understand why some people have blue eyes instead of brown. We are what we are and our reasons for not believing in a god are unique to each person.

I am sorry if this is not more helpful and I hope you stick around to read some of the threads to get a better perspective on atheism.

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: brand0n

kellym78 wrote:

brand0n wrote:
Hey kellym78. thanks for responding. I am a total dork. I got all gitty and yelled for my wife to come over and see your post. You're a TV star : )

That's weird. 

Is it weird?

To be perfectly honest, I was a bit awestruck the first time I saw you post... cause you are practically a celebrity at this point, and the fact that you're drop dead gorgeous may have had a slight impact too...Laughing out loud

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AtheistAviB

AtheistAviB wrote:
kellym78 wrote:

brand0n wrote:

That's weird.

Is it weird?

To be perfectly honest, I was a bit awestruck the first time I saw you post... cause you are practically a celebrity at this point, and the fact that you're drop dead gorgeous may have had a slight impact too...Laughing out loud

I guess I live a sheltered life. What is Kelly's claim to fame? 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
AtheistAviB

AtheistAviB wrote:
kellym78 wrote:

brand0n wrote:

That's weird.

Is it weird?

Pick your chin up off the floor, dude. She puts her pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else...or does she? Smiling 

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: I guess I

wavefreak wrote:
I guess I live a sheltered life. What is Kelly's claim to fame?

She shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

When she hears that whistle blowin', she hangs her head and cries. 

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.