Why haven't we seen God reattach severed heads!!

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why haven't we seen God reattach severed heads!!

i saw this article and thought that some may appreciate the irony. i think there are some "actual" recorded events at the beginning about people being born without a brain and still functioning, well to a certain extent.

--------------- - - ---------------

"The old manuscript of the Troitse-Sergiev monastery describes a tragedy that occurred in the Pskov-Pechora monastery in 1570. Father Superior Kornily was the prior of the monastery at that time; the man was famous not only for his healing talent and good deeds, but for his courage as well. He ordered to build a high wall around the monastery for protection from enemies, but he got no consent of the tsar for this construction. Ivan the Terrible was informed of the unauthorized construction, and the tsar went to the monastery to administer his cruel justice. Father Superior Kornily met the tsar near the gates with a cross in his hands, but enraged Ivan the Terrible was implacable. He ordered to decapitate Kornily.

The execution was committed before the eyes of the whole monastery. Kornily's head rolled down, and then mysterious things occurred: a decapitated body took the head and made its way toward the temple. Only before the altar Kornily fell dead. Ivan the Terrible was struck with the mysterious accident, repented sincerely and made generous presents to the monastery to pray for forgiveness of the sin. The path that Kornily followed was called "a bloody path" and even now it is decorated with flowers. Martyr Kornily himself was canonized."

source: http://wintersteel.homestead.com/Life_Without_Brain.html

EDIT: fixed the link

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
May I ask what's the

May I ask what's the connection between title and content?

We know bodies don't die immediately after the head has been severed, this is not historical news you bring. But so what? They still die in at most one hour.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL. sure you can ask but

LOL. sure you can ask but i'm afraid that i would not be able to give you an answer that you'll be satisfied with.  i dunno, think abstractly. Smiling)

the most intersting thing of that article is that some people are born without brains but are able to function.  that is weird. i do not know what "we" think in regards to how important the brain is to our body and what it means that we could function without it.  granted that the oldest person to live without a brain only reached 14 (from my understanding).

what is "your" opinion on this?

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lets not feed the fundies

Lets not feed the fundies in our answers here. I noticed some things that could be missunderstood by some theists.

We cannot function without the brain. At a minimum we need the part of the brain that regulates organ function. But in this instance we would not be a "thinking" being if that is all we had. We would just be a biological robot.

It can take up to an hour for the body to die after the head is severed? Carfull how you phrase that. The brain after oxygen and bloodflow deprevation will suffer irreversable damage and then die.

Body and organ motion after something like that could be equated to squashing a bug, you see the legs twitch. 

The way you phrase it you make their zombie god sound possible. Dont feed the fundies.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROFL!!!! don't feed the

ROFL!!!! don't feed the fundies!!! haven't heard that one yet.  that should be tshirt,  or better yet a sign on the front doors of churches!

i was simply asking for a scientific evaluation of this or more information on the topic.  the kid lived to be 14 years old, they said that his body naturally adapted to the lack of brain and he functioned normally.  it was only when he was experiencing head aches did they find that he had no brain. (this is from what i understood and it says that was documented.  it could be a wild story or an unexplained occurrence in science).

believe me that i go to other sources for my nourishment.  it is very trying sometimes to come here and try to talk with you guys.  i am not trying to be unfair or misrepresent you but you can be really bias sometimes.  if you are certain in your beliefs you should not be worried that someone accidentally threw a fundie a bone.

i'm not trying to convince you that my way is right but attempting to learn more about our plight.  it seems that you already have your mind made up, there is nothing i can say to convert you... why not learn from each other.

so what that i believe that there is a soul, i'm not shoving that down your throat.  i am not trying to mislead or trick anyone but i am here for my own growth.  that is one reason christians got such a bad rap cause they never tried actually hearing what other people have to say.

i would think that an equal conversation that both people can discuss their beliefs without a "debate" would be beneficial for everyone involved.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen

sapphen wrote:

was simply asking for a scientific evaluation of this or more information on the topic. the kid lived to be 14 years old, they said that his body naturally adapted to the lack of brain and he functioned normally. it was only when he was experiencing head aches did they find that he had no brain. (this is from what i understood and it says that was documented. it could be a wild story or an unexplained occurrence in science).

I actually felt vomit in the corners of my mouth reading this.

A scientific evaluation? Fine.

It's utter lunacy.

The cardioregulatory center in the brain controls the beating of the heart. Without a brain, the heart would not beat. Nearly all of the unconscious functions of the body are controlled by the brain. The Vagus nerve, the Vestibulocochlear nerve, the oculomotor nerve. Since there is no sensory processing, all organs are vestigial, the body is totally worthless.

A body without a brain is dead. It cannot move or function. No motor coordination, since there is no CNS. No organs, no movement, no senses, no nothing. It will start decomposing within days since there is no axon-stimulus for the organization of the cellular colonies. (This was shown when experiments with Sensory Deprivation proved that vestigial use of organ functions related to certain brain signals would die when unused) If you cover the eye of a kitten from birth for an extended period of time, say a year, it will be blind since the neurons controlling the VSC will unravel. Same principle, except there are no neurons as there is no brain making the situation ever more utterly absurd,

Its just a vegetable. If I unplugg my computer's Hard Disk, BIOS, GPU, motherboard and CPU, I'll switch it on and pray that it will just "adapt" to no longer existing! What a great idea.

The notion that a body could survive or "adapt" without a brain is totally and utterly ridiculous. The body cannot function without the brain for more than a few moments. There are stories of chickens surviving for a while without heads, that is more plausible since chickens have primitive axon-feedback control systems, with a more decentralized nervous system, but if we are taking a human being. It's so utterly ludicrous. It is total nonsense. Without a brain, there can be no body, since the cells will undergo PCD or apoptosis in minutes, no electrical signals to stimulate unconscious functions of the organs, which means no heart, no lungs, no stomach, no nothing. And definitely no movement, seeing as that requires axon-firing, which requires a brain. You might as well suggest that I can use my computer without using my computer. The brain is the body. Without it, all the other functions are useless, vestigial. The heart cannot pump. The stomach cannot contract. The endocrine system cannot produce hormones, the exocrine system cannot undergo glandular secretions, the myosin ion gradients in the muscles die, the sensory organs are not connected to anything. The whole body becomes a useless vegetable without a brain.

Actually, the baby cannot properly develop in utero without developing a brain, since the baby's heart starts to beat in utero, and that requires electrical signals from the hypothalamus. If the baby did not develop a brain, it would come out stillborn, without a heart.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sapphen wrote: i saw this

sapphen wrote:

i saw this article and thought that some may appreciate the irony. i think there are some "actual" recorded events at the beginning about people being born without a brain and still functioning, well to a certain extent.

"The old manuscript of the Troitse-Sergiev monastery describes a tragedy that occurred in the Pskov-Pechora monastery in 1570. Father Superior Kornily was the prior of the monastery at that time; the man was famous not only for his healing talent and good deeds, but for his courage as well. He ordered to build a high wall around the monastery for protection from enemies, but he got no consent of the tsar for this construction. Ivan the Terrible was informed of the unauthorized construction, and the tsar went to the monastery to administer his cruel justice. Father Superior Kornily met the tsar near the gates with a cross in his hands, but enraged Ivan the Terrible was implacable. He ordered to decapitate Kornily.

The execution was committed before the eyes of the whole monastery. Kornily's head rolled down, and then mysterious things occurred: a decapitated body took the head and made its way toward the temple. Only before the altar Kornily fell dead. Ivan the Terrible was struck with the mysterious accident, repented sincerely and made generous presents to the monastery to pray for forgiveness of the sin. The path that Kornily followed was called "a bloody path" and even now it is decorated with flowers. Martyr Kornily himself was canonized."

source: http://wintersteel.homestead.com/Life_Without_Brain.html

EDIT: fixed the link

Sorry, but this is a load.  To those who believe this: I have a very nice bridge for sale.  It's hardly been used. Smiling

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

SamSexton
User is offlineOffline
first of all i assure you

first of all i assure you none of us are meaning to seem close-minded by not accepting your stor. Althogh i think if you really wanted to learn from us as you stated, i think it's a little strange that you didn't seek the answer yourself. a quick google search shows this: http://www.unexplainedstuff.com/Mysteries-of-the-Mind/Living-without-a-Brain.html

now firstly, we should be careful in saying thinks like "no brain" because it's misleading when it's evident that there is bain tissue, albeit seemingly alot less than usual. This is an incredibley important thing to understand. 

Brains have been know to recover miraculously, i remember the case of a guy who has half of his brain pretty much shot off and the other side compensated. Size is not equal to brain power, a small amount of brain tissue with more neurons packed in to it should in fact be better because of the shorter distance between neurons, hence faster recall of information.

It's most likely that the litttle brain tissue left compensates for the loss, and until theres a solid argument against that it's not time to start thinking abstractly

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Unlike religion, science

"Unlike religion, science failed to explain such phenomena. Otherwise, the basic medical postulates would have to be obligatorily revised."

That is what scares me the most. Religion never explained this at all. They just asserted a claim, to explain it you must show proof. Saying "godidit" is not proof.

Thing is, the whole article shows no sources what so ever. If it was talking about individual stories, which it was, and shows no sources it is to be taken 2 ways either, plagiarism, or they made it up. The ladder is more likely as I can find no acredited scientific documentation on these claims, or stories. I have found one, although it was about a doctor stole a guys brain during an autopsy and labeled it as he had no brain. Science explained that as well, by a secondary autopsy, they found knife markings in the places you would need to cut to take out the brain.

The only way I can ever see this happening, is if the brain has a malfunication and develops in a different area of the body. Problem with that is, the skull would not develop right either, as it's size and dimension are heavily inducded by the brain. There is cases, of people who had "repeated instructions after death". These cases were proven to happen. Simply stating it is like a twitching nerve, with repeating instructions. Simply, before death the person meant to say, walk away, then the head got severed during the time the signil was sent out, and the signil was sent to the legs, and continued walking depending on how long the signil was recycled in other large nervus structures in your body. Or that is how the founding went anyway. The signils continue to recycle, such as the signil to grasp, or keep ones finger tight, as for shooting a gun.

However to live without a brain, is impossible, sorry to say.

Next time, when you post an article, post some sources, or validity to the stories in it.

Oh and

"Twentieth-century physicist Albert Einstein may have been a genius among geniuses, but the size of his brain probably was not what accounted for his heightened intelligence. In fact, scientists don't know why some individuals' brains work more efficiently than others."

In the next article it states this. This is wrong on so many levels. For one, when they disected Einsteins brain, they found the region of his brain that dealt with math, was 10x larger then normal. Of course that does not mean everyone is like that. Unlike popular belief, everyone infact uses 80-99% of their brain. Other parts develop different in the individual, some use more in certain areas, some areas may develop bigger etc.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
nicely stated and

nicely stated and intelligent posts... thank you!