Accepting the word of GOD!!!!!

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Accepting the word of GOD!!!!!

This is a question to the theists out there.

What is the significance of accepting the word of god?

Apparently you think it would make me a better person.

And to me a better person must be someone with better moral values.

I'm not talking about making me better at doing some practical task or improving my social skills, I'm talking about what makes us good.

And in this context a better person is someone with better moral values, I'm sure you agree.

So if accepting the word of god makes you a better person it has to improve your moral values.

But as an atheist i don't accept the word of god, or at least not all of it.

I don't accept that the world was made in 7 days. I don't accept all of the ten commandments. Granted “thou shalt not kill” is OK but the part about only one true god and the Sabbath and all that sounds a bit rubbish.

But even without accepting the word of god I do have moral values.

And many of those values one can find examples of in the bible, the parts about not killing and doing onto others and so on.

Now if accepting the word of god means accepting everything in the bible, it clearly contains more than just moral values. The knowledge that the world was created in 7 days, might be the word of god but it doesn't really have much moral value, its more of a technical statement.

So it should be possible to accept all the moral values of the bible without accepting the word of god. Or at least not all of it.

So if accepting the word of god makes me a better person, even though i already accept all the other moral points that god has, and this would be a valid point even if the bible wasn't the word of god.

But we where given the word of god from god himself and we only accepted the moral bits and not the technical bits, this would mean that accepting the word of god is in itself a moral value.

To summarise:

If accepting the word of god makes me a better person, the acceptance of gods word must be a moral act and give moral value, regardless of what the word of god actually is.

So here's the bottom line. What possible moral value does the acceptance of god have as an action, and not counting the contents of the word of god itself?

I have a hard time finding any moral meaning to accepting the word of god, it seems empty and insignificant in the large scheme of things. The moral standpoint that killing is bad is so much more clear and obviously valid one than deciding to route for what some guy in the sky says, that I fail to see any significance in it at all, and that accepting the word of god is really more about technicalities than actual moral values. I feal that whats important is not your acceptance of god but the acceptance of moral values, and the path to being a better person doesnt have to include a god.

Does it really matter that much?

Is it alone worth basing your religious thoughts on?

Is it enough to condemn your soul to eternal damnation?

Just because you technically don't think god is all that important.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm i somehow got a black

Hmm i somehow got a black background on my tekst.

Sorry didnt mean to Smile

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos wrote: Hmm i

thormos wrote:

Hmm i somehow got a black background on my tekst.

Sorry didnt mean to Smile

If you are using Word to edit the text and then pasting it here, that could be the problem. Try copying it to wordpad, then copy from there and pasting here. 

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks. I'l remember that

Thanks. I'l remember that for next time Smile

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
When you said "theist," you

When you said "theists," you really meant "Christians, more specifically those Christians who subscribe to the belief that believing in god and accepting god's word make me a better person."

It's okay though, it seems to be a relatively common (and agitating) error around here.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: When

LosingStreak06 wrote:

When you said "theists," you really meant "Christians, more specifically those Christians who subscribe to the belief that believing in god and accepting god's word make me a better person."

It's okay though, it seems to be a relatively common (and agitating) error around here.

Well actually any religion that states that you wont get to "heaven" or whatever if you dont accept their god, already makes the point that you are "better" when you have done the act of accepting.

What I try to say is that in those cases said theist are going to judge you on nothing but the technicality that is belief in god, and not an actual mesurable value.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos

thormos wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Well actually any religion that states that you wont get to "heaven" or whatever if you dont accept their god, already makes the point that you are "better" when you have done the act of accepting.

What I try to say is that in those cases said theist are going to judge you on nothing but the technicality that is belief in god, and not an actual mesurable value.

Perhaps, but I don't know how many of them have something called a "Bible," or believe in a seven day creation story, which are things you specifically mentioned in your opening post.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:
thormos wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Perhaps, but I don't know how many of them have something called a "Bible," or believe in a seven day creation story, which are things you specifically mentioned in your opening post.

Christianity did form a basis for my example, but the point is more general.

The acceptance of god is of no value. It doesn't automaticly make you a better person. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
thormos

thormos wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
thormos wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Christianity did form a basis for my example, but the point is more general.

The acceptance of god is of no value. It doesn't automaticly make you a better person.

I agree wholeheartedly. To be fair, though, I'm not your "average" theist.