Why do you need an answer?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Why do you need an answer?

This is a question for theists and feel free to respond if you're an atheist.

A lot of the discussion and debate on forums and around the debating communities revolves around the origin of the universe etc.  Here's my question primarily for theists:

For all theists: Why do you need an answer, what is it so uncomfortable about ignorance?

For those that believe in heaven or similar: Why do you need to be rewarded at the end of your life, is your life now not reward enough? 

For all theists: If you were to suddenly know for fact that this was it, would you consider your life worth living?

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
The unknown is a fearful

The unknown is a fearful thing indeed.

Born Alright th...
User is offlineOffline
Until something is known, it

Until something is known, it is not known to be safe.

Indeed, fear makes us approach many things with an unnecessary uncertainity, hindering progress greatly. I guess "nothing to fear but fear itself," is ever present.

How dare you question God`s decision to make me atheist?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: For all

Tarpan wrote:

For all theists: Why do you need an answer, what is it so uncomfortable about ignorance?

If we accept that the mind is a product of evolution, then the answer is simple - my brain structure is able to support such questions and also create the need for an answer. I need an answer because I evolved the need.

Quote:

For all theists: If you were to suddenly know for fact that this was it, would you consider your life worth living?

Yes.

But this question is too easilty turned around. If an atheist suddenly discovered that God was real, how would it change their life?

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Tarpan

wavefreak wrote:
Tarpan wrote:

If we accept that the mind is a product of evolution, then the answer is simple - my brain structure is able to support such questions and also create the need for an answer. I need an answer because I evolved the need.

Quote:

Yes.

But this question is too easilty turned around. If an atheist suddenly discovered that God was real, how would it change their life?

That would depend on which God existed.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:

Quote:
But this question is too easilty turned around. If an atheist suddenly discovered that God was real, how would it change their life?

True, it would depend largely on which god was real. If it was proved that the Christian god was real, I dunno. I would probably go into a lifelong depression.

How horrible that would be! I couldn't kill myself because I wouldn't want to go to hell, but I couldn't live because I'd never want to spend eternity with that asshole. I suppose I'd become some kind of hypochondriac, afraid of anything that might shorten my life by even a millisecond.

I can honestly say I would wish I'd never been born, and that's really saying something, because i love my life.

I can't comprehend anything worse than discovering that Jesus or Allah was real.

If Buddhists were right, I'd just start doing yoga. It'd be ok.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I view having

Personally, I view having the "answer" rather differently than you are. In my own personal life, functioning with a belief in God, I find that I want to continually learn and find other "answers" to the same question, "Why are we here?" I find that through searching philosophy, science, different cultures, etc. I receive a lot of valuable insight into my own beliefs that there is a God through finding other answers to the same question.

If I were to find out tomorrow that there 100% is no God and this life was all I get, I would make sure to make every effort possible to leave an imprint on the world before I leave it. However, this is what I am already trying to do by going to college and learning so one day I can enrich the youth and make a positive impact on their lives. So I suppose if I found out there was no God, I try to re-double my efforts to carve out a place in human history... 

And I don't know all the reasons why I believe in God, I just know that I do and it doesn't seem to affect my personal life negatively. So I guess if one day my belief in God would bring about an adverse change in my life and doing away with the belief in God would free me from that negative change, then I might be in a position to reject the belief in God. Although, it would have to be something unimaginably terrible, even worse than physical torture I suppose. I can't think of what really horrible thing would have to happen, but it would need be pretty dismal.   

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Yes. But

wavefreak wrote:

Yes.

But this question is too easilty turned around. If an atheist suddenly discovered that God was real, how would it change their life?

Well, I've thought a lot about the possibility of a god.  And even if there was one, I refuse to believe that he is so ignorant to say that the majority of the world is going to hell because they don't support the Roman Catholic church, or whatever other belief you might suggest I find is the actual god.

I don't see any religion out there that preaches a truely accepting open minded god.  And I figure that if you were god that created humans and is all knowing, they would truely understand and be able to seperate good people from bad people regardless of the words that they say but by their actions.

I am quite confident that leading the life I lead would not be objected to if I were to meet my maker.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: True,

Hambydammit wrote:

True, it would depend largely on which god was real. If it was proved that the Christian god was real, I dunno. I would probably go into a lifelong depression.

How horrible that would be! I couldn't kill myself because I wouldn't want to go to hell, but I couldn't live because I'd never want to spend eternity with that asshole. I suppose I'd become some kind of hypochondriac, afraid of anything that might shorten my life by even a millisecond.

LOL.

THough this makes me sad in some way. I can't believe that Jesus "died on the cross" so that contemporay Christianity could conceive of a God the at times seems more demonic than divine. If there really was a Jesus, I think he would be appaled.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
jread wrote: Personally, I

jread wrote:

Personally, I view having the "answer" rather differently than you are. In my own personal life, functioning with a belief in God, I find that I want to continually learn and find other "answers" to the same question, "Why are we here?" I find that through searching philosophy, science, different cultures, etc. I receive a lot of valuable insight into my own beliefs that there is a God through finding other answers to the same question.

If I were to find out tomorrow that there 100% is no God and this life was all I get, I would make sure to make every effort possible to leave an imprint on the world before I leave it. However, this is what I am already trying to do by going to college and learning so one day I can enrich the youth and make a positive impact on their lives. So I suppose if I found out there was no God, I try to re-double my efforts to carve out a place in human history...

And I don't know all the reasons why I believe in God, I just know that I do and it doesn't seem to affect my personal life negatively. So I guess if one day my belief in God would bring about an adverse change in my life and doing away with the belief in God would free me from that negative change, then I might be in a position to reject the belief in God. Although, it would have to be something unimaginably terrible, even worse than physical torture I suppose. I can't think of what really horrible thing would have to happen, but it would need be pretty dismal.

I appreciate wanting to find the answer and trying to, but believing in a god and believing in creationism is not trying to find an answer, it's providing an answer without the persuit.

And as for your second paragraph, do you find nothing wrong with the idea that you don't try your best to live your life to the fullest? That you are going through your life half-assed instead of being the best you can be and doing the most you can just because there's a heaven aftewrwards? Do you think your god would approve of this approach?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, wave, don't feel sad

Well, wave, don't feel sad for me, because he doesn't exist, so I'm in no danger of going to the nuthouse on his account.

Seriously, though, it's one of the great puzzles of theism to me.  I remember being a theist, and I remember clearly the arguments I would use to convince myself and others that indeed there was a god, and that his existence was somehow integral to the very fabric of existence.  The thing is, I can't remember why I believed the arguments!

I don't mean this to sound conceited, but I honestly can't see what anybody thinks god is for!  It's kind of odd to think about it in reverse, but it doesn't really make sense for there to be a god because there's nothing for him to do!  Science has a 100% record so far, (in other words, we've not found a valid non-scientific explanation for anything) and if all that was left for a god was to make a little vacuum fluctuation or a singularity that would explode into the universe, what importance would that god have to me?  Would it make any sense that 14.5 billion years ago he would have made a vacuum fluctuation so that I wouldn't have sex before marriage?  You know?  It's kind of stupid, if you think about it.

There's just no room for god in the cosmos, even in the gaps we have now!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

LOL.

THough this makes me sad in some way. I can't believe that Jesus "died on the cross" so that contemporay Christianity could conceive of a God the at times seems more demonic than divine. If there really was a Jesus, I think he would be appaled.

I'm in the same boat as Hamby. If any of the Abrahamic religions turned out to be true, I would be very distraught and disappointed.

If there really was a Jesus, I'd ask him why he didn't oppose slavery and endorsed stoning disobedient children. If Jesus is the pinacle of morality and goodness, I'm off the charts apparently.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

That's a very good question. I know my Biblical answer, that God wants us to know him. Without God, I see no reason to be persuaded one way or the other on knowledge or ignorance. One could say personal betterment, but betterment relative to what? How is it verifiably better? "Ignorance is bliss" surely has some merit.

Tarpan wrote:
For those that believe in heaven or similar: Why do you need to be rewarded at the end of your life, is your life now not reward enough?

I believe in heaven, but not as a reward. It's... complicated. There are other threads where I've discussed it at length, but I will reiterate here if requested. In short, salvation is by grace alone, and nothing I or anyone can do will merit divine reward.

Tarpan wrote:

Worth living, surely! The manner of living would be completely different, though. Apart from personal well-being, pleasure, and general personal gain there is little use for ethics or social responsability.

Example: I tend to bite my tongue rather than mouthing off to people that annoy me. Why? First, I empathize with them, so spreading malice hurts both of us. Second, I believe that empathy results from conscience, the Law of God "written on our hearts." Because I would rather enjoy mouthing off without a conscience - and might even consider suppressing the urge cowardice - I'd just assume get over my primitive empathy without knowledge of God and do I as please. Liberty, after all, is quite refreshing.

"The map appears more real to us than the land." - Lawrence

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote:

JHenson wrote:

Worth living, surely! The manner of living would be completely different, though. Apart from personal well-being, pleasure, and general personal gain there is little use for ethics or social responsability.

Example: I tend to bite my tongue rather than mouthing off to people that annoy me. Why? First, I empathize with them, so spreading malice hurts both of us. Second, I believe that empathy results from conscience, the Law of God "written on our hearts." Because I would rather enjoy mouthing off without a conscience - and might even consider suppressing the urge cowardice - I'd just assume get over my primitive empathy without knowledge of God and do I as please. Liberty, after all, is quite refreshing.

You don't see a use for ethics and social responsibility without god? That's quite sad.

Sounds dangerously like the "atheists don't have moral" argument...

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I would like to put forward

I would like to put forward that the moral code that you are discussing is only attributed to god in much the same way that the start of the universe was credited to him.  It's something that's not understood so attributed to a deity rather than just accepting it for what it is. Your natural inclination, period.

There are distinct disadvantages to doing things like telling someone off.  They may slap you accross the face, or end up in an argument.  These things are not fun.  I would suggest that leading a reckless life is not advantageous to you living an enjoyable life which is why you don't do it now.

Whats right and wrong has never been a biblical thing, it has always been society that has determined what's right and wrong and that religion has always been behind the times and held back social developments.  You can look at the vatican and their teachings to this day for easy to find detrimental religious conservative social values that are behind the social curve.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I just had another thought

I just had another thought dawn on me...

In this thread it's discussed the topic of believing in god and that he wants you to know about him.  I don't believe this actually has anything to do with how the universe got here, who you should have sex with, and all these other social or intellecutal issues.

I agree that there are religions that teach that you must believe everything they teach, but at the end of the day you are also taught that if you accept jesus and ask for forgiveness you will be granted it and go to heaven.

This thought does eliminate the "need to know" or "need to attribute" argument in my mind because it doesn't really matter.  At the end of the day "I dont know" is just as acceptable within the confines of religion and belief in Jesus (I'll use him since it's my familiar ground) as it is within atheism.

Saying I don't know and believing in god should not prevent you from accepting people of all faiths openly, or not stoning gays, or not allowing the advancements in social development, or even the abolishment of organized religion since at the end of the day it's all about what you believe in your heart that matters at the end of the day.

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mattness wrote: You don't

Mattness wrote:

You don't see a use for ethics and social responsibility without god? That's quite sad.

I certainly see a use - social order.  But of what use is this to me?  I mean, it's clearly useful that everyone else is orderly, but why play along for other folks' security?

Tarpan wrote:

I would like to put forward that the moral code that you are discussing is only attributed to god in much the same way that the start of the universe was credited to him.  It's something that's not understood so attributed to a deity rather than just accepting it for what it is. Your natural inclination, period.

There are distinct disadvantages to doing things like telling someone off.  They may slap you accross the face, or end up in an argument.  These things are not fun.  I would suggest that leading a reckless life is not advantageous to you living an enjoyable life which is why you don't do it now.

Whats right and wrong has never been a biblical thing, it has always been society that has determined what's right and wrong and that religion has always been behind the times and held back social developments.  You can look at the vatican and their teachings to this day for easy to find detrimental religious conservative social values that are behind the social curve.

As I said, if it is only natural inclination, and nothing absolute can be said in favor of natural inclination (or anything else), why is that important?  Humanity appears naturally inclined to religion, considering how far atheism is in the minority.  Isn't that relevant?

You say a person may slap me.  Well, that's merely an issue of good judgement.  If I keep my mouthing off to meek-looking folks, or people I already know will take it, no harm to me!  A person can easily be unethical without being reckless.

Right and wrong are social developments.  Without God, so is religion.  If one social development is horse shit, why should I not question the validity of the other?  Ethics are older than some religions!

I'm being somewhat facetious, but the point is that by rejecting any notion of absolute good I cannot claim anything to be good.  What then is my motive towards ethics?  Self-interest undermines ethical principle outright.  Psychopathy makes a strong case that the only thing restraining a person is empathy.  I can choose to subvert my empathy, so why shouldn't I?  I'm restraining myself one way or the other, after all.

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: And as for

Tarpan wrote:

And as for your second paragraph, do you find nothing wrong with the idea that you don't try your best to live your life to the fullest? That you are going through your life half-assed instead of being the best you can be and doing the most you can just because there's a heaven aftewrwards? Do you think your god would approve of this approach?

By admitting that, I suppose I reluctantly acknowledge a "patience" if you would call it in my arriving at my ultimate life's goal. I view steps such as going to college, getting degrees, working jobs, buying shit, etc. as all unecessary means in acheiving my lifes goal. For example, If I wanted to enrich young peoples' lives, why not sacrifice more time and volunteer or tutor when I would normally be working or shopping? Well, it seems that I need those things in order to one day achieve my desired end. I am merely acknowledging, that the "steps" I am taking now are in-the-here-and-now hinderances to actually achieving that goal.

Even now, you may not buy that explanation as to why I would admit a rightly judged, "half-assed" approach to achieiving my goal. None the less, I feel that is my current dilemma and is something that I must be patient during its passing (ie time in college, time working lame self fulfiilling jobs, etc). This patience time is all a means to an end. Although, for some reason when I thought about there being no God, I for some reason feel like I would throw caution to the wind and dive right in. I can't say exactly why that is. I have an inclination though that it has something to do with more than a belief or disbelief in God. Perhaps it an insight into a part of me I didn't know, the part that is lame and not devoting enough time to his dreams...I think that has more to do with me, than with God. Wierd how this thread brought me to realize such an aspect of myself as this. I feel lame. enough typing... 

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Mattness

JHenson wrote:
Mattness wrote:

I certainly see a use - social order.  But of what use is this to me?  I mean, it's clearly useful that everyone else is orderly, but why play along for other folks' security?

Tarpan wrote:

As I said, if it is only natural inclination, and nothing absolute can be said in favor of natural inclination (or anything else), why is that important?  Humanity appears naturally inclined to religion, considering how far atheism is in the minority.  Isn't that relevant?

You say a person may slap me.  Well, that's merely an issue of good judgement.  If I keep my mouthing off to meek-looking folks, or people I already know will take it, no harm to me!  A person can easily be unethical without being reckless.

Right and wrong are social developments.  Without God, so is religion.  If one social development is horse shit, why should I not question the validity of the other?  Ethics are older than some religions!

I'm being somewhat facetious, but the point is that by rejecting any notion of absolute good I cannot claim anything to be good.  What then is my motive towards ethics?  Self-interest undermines ethical principle outright.  Psychopathy makes a strong case that the only thing restraining a person is empathy.  I can choose to subvert my empathy, so why shouldn't I?  I'm restraining myself one way or the other, after all.

This entire line of thinking falls apart when you realize that other people are not mindless automatons unaware of your actions. Self-interest in a group guarantees ethical principal.

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: This

stillmatic wrote:
This entire line of thinking falls apart when you realize that other people are not mindless automatons unaware of your actions. Self-interest in a group guarantees ethical principal.

Why should their mental faculties matter?  I pointed out that a person can be unethical without being reckless.  Is this refuted?  An appeal to self-interest is also inherently unethical, as it assumes unethical inclination without reward. 

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Why should

JHenson wrote:

Why should their mental faculties matter? I pointed out that a person can be unethical without being reckless. Is this refuted? An appeal to self-interest is also inherently unethical, as it assumes unethical inclination without reward.

Ethics apply to both theists and atheists.

The difference is that atheists won't write their negative selfish actions off as ethical and right. We can't murder someone, ask for forgivness, and find contentment in that. 

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote:

Tarpan wrote:
Ethics apply to both theists and atheists.

The difference is that atheists won't write their negative selfish actions off as ethical and right. We can't murder someone, ask for forgivness, and find contentment in that.

Neither can Christians, or presumably any other theists. What does this have to do with the question asked?

Edit: Correction - Christians can do this, but so can atheists.  No playing the "no true Scotsman" fallacy in favor of atheism. Tongue out

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote:

JHenson wrote:

Neither can Christians, or presumably any other theists. What does this have to do with the question asked?

Edit: Correction - Christians can do this, but so can atheists. No playing the "no true Scotsman" fallacy in favor of atheism. Tongue out

Sorry, that made it confusing, didn't mean to quote Eye-wink

And you're not incorrect, but I don't believe it's near as likely, and it's dramatically less likely within the confines of a group of atheists to find ethical justification for actions like murder.

Essentially religion is a great excuse to do things because it makes things easy to justify.

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: Essentially

Tarpan wrote:
Essentially religion is a great excuse to do things because it makes things easy to justify.

Are secular causes any less prone to amorality?  Politics, civil rights, economics, property ownership... all these things have led to horrible atrocities.

This still dodges the issue that morality and ethics are absurd without an absolute scale to judge them by.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Tarpan

JHenson wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

Are secular causes any less prone to amorality?  Politics, civil rights, economics, property ownership... all these things have led to horrible atrocities.

This still dodges the issue that morality and ethics are absurd without an absolute scale to judge them by.

God told me to do it. I was following my holy book. It's the inerrant word of God. End of discussion and my actions are justified. You'll never hear those words out of the mouth of an atheist.

Morality and ethics don't have an absolute scale. There aren't even absolute rules in the bible, not to mention between the different sects of Christianity. It's not absurd, it's difficult. That doesn't mean it's not worth hammering out.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: Tarpan

JHenson wrote:

Tarpan wrote:

Are secular causes any less prone to amorality? Politics, civil rights, economics, property ownership... all these things have led to horrible atrocities.

Eliminating AIDS would be no less valuable just because there's still Cancer. 

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: Eliminating

Tarpan wrote:
Eliminating AIDS would be no less valuable just because there's still Cancer.

This analogy seems to claim that all human pursuits are akin to disease.  We're back to absurdity, my original claim!

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote: This

JHenson wrote:

This analogy seems to claim that all human pursuits are akin to disease. We're back to absurdity, my original claim!

The analogy is just an analogy where I was trying to show that just because there are multiple problems that doesn't mean it's not worth fixing one of them.

I admit to using disease because it's a bit more dramatic than others I could think up.

But I do see religion as the first major problem to solve enroute to globalization.  Borders and Economic Equaity being some of the other major ones which I feel are a bit harder.  So many borders are based off governments that are religious so those will never open up as long as religion influences government.  Economics is a much harder one.  Making people not selfish is very difficult.  And I don't claim to be leading the fight on straying away from that.

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: But I do see

Tarpan wrote:
But I do see religion as the first major problem to solve enroute to globalization.  Borders and Economic Equaity being some of the other major ones which I feel are a bit harder.  So many borders are based off governments that are religious so those will never open up as long as religion influences government.  Economics is a much harder one.  Making people not selfish is very difficult.  And I don't claim to be leading the fight on straying away from that.

I understand your position.  Still, surely you understand that governments, borders, economics, et al are human-made to begin with.  My underlying trouble, which I've stated, is that it is absurd for us to fight against our own natures without an external dictum acknowledged as our rightful master.

The other option is to go along with our natures.  Unfortunately, part of our natural wiring seems to think our natural wiring is all wrong!  Your own assertion of the various human-made problems plaguing humanity is a prime example.

I do not disagree with your premise, that there are many things wrong with the way humans go about living and setting up society.  I only disagree on the cause for this, and the solution.

But I am genuinely curious as to whether you still believe life is absurd or not, and what your reasoning is.  This question seems to get lost in conversation each time... 

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
JHenson wrote:

JHenson wrote:

I understand your position. Still, surely you understand that governments, borders, economics, et al are human-made to begin with. My underlying trouble, which I've stated, is that it is absurd for us to fight against our own natures without an external dictum acknowledged as our rightful master.

The other option is to go along with our natures. Unfortunately, part of our natural wiring seems to think our natural wiring is all wrong! Your own assertion of the various human-made problems plaguing humanity is a prime example.

I do not disagree with your premise, that there are many things wrong with the way humans go about living and setting up society. I only disagree on the cause for this, and the solution.

But I am genuinely curious as to whether you still believe life is absurd or not, and what your reasoning is. This question seems to get lost in conversation each time...

I understand they are all man-made and to-date have been natural developments. But I see this as just a historical perception of things because of land-mass seperations. When one community would encounter another, it would be the joining of two communities and that may go good or bad. Eventually as they grow they would setup their borders, have their own traditions, and their own way of doing things. They would not want to immediatly accomodiate or adopt the patterns of the other group. Perhaps over time as generations go bye and they cross-breed etc they would develop shared laws etc to protect the differentiating communities traditions.

But I think that in today's day and age the connections between the world are getting closer and closer. The areas of physical seperation are becoming smaller and smaller, and the cross-breeding and cross-interactions are increasing. I see it as only beneficial that we treat the world as a whole as one community. But with the vast number of communities that is a daunting task. Religion plays a major roll in that because it educates that other groups are evil by nature. If Religion was just a belief about living your life and what happens after death and how you got here that's one thing. But religious organizations go far beyond that and teach discrimination and segregation and the majority of them don't adopt to the social changes of the world.

I don't know if it's part of our natural wiring to think that our own natural wiring is wrong. I think that questioning everything we know is a natural, and when we encounter conflicts or insufficient answers we assume error and try to fix it. We do have differing ways of going about how we 'fix' it.

I don't mean to imply that Religion is the only cause, nor that eliminating it is the ultimate solution. I believe it is one of the causes, and one of the major walls in social development.

As for the last bit...is life absurd? Assuming you mean is it irrational and meaningless...to a degree it is. But no more absurd than the concept of heaven, and here is why.

In the atheistic essence I can say "I don't know". Sure it's a bit absurd but if I find enjoyment in learning, in interacting with others, and with life in general then at l have a reason for living. I fear death because I enjoy life. I accept that it's all kind of pointless, but I'm not really doing anything at the moment so why not go along with it and make the best of the situation? And part of making the best of the situation, to me, is maximizing my time here and the time I can spend developing my life. Spending a large % of my life worshiping does not seem to honor that approach.

In the christian aspect it's absurd because you have an endless amount of people living their lives and then going to heaven...but then what? is that it? is everyone just "in" heaven and others in hell? Why create humans in the first place? What was the point in everything if you're just inhabiting heaven? Why not just create them in heaven? The whole idea of an infinite number of people being created only to all end up in one place with no real point is kind of absurd in itself.

And then there's the questions of why do christians fear death? If you go through your whole life and you know you're going to heaven, why do people mourn the dead? Why no celebrate death more? Why, when death comes, do people try so hard to stay alive if they know that they are going to heaven. Wouldn't death be a welcome transition into a greater existance?

I hope that answer is sufficient, if not I'll be happy to elaborate more.

Note: I haven't proof read this so I apologize for typo's etc. 

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline

JHenson wrote:
Mattness wrote:

I certainly see a use - social order. But of what use is this to me? I mean, it's clearly useful that everyone else is orderly, but why play along for other folks' security?

1) A human of normal intellect sees that if everyone thought like this humanity would have gone extinct long ago.

2) You don't "play along for other folks' security". Plain as it is, you love others to be loved in return (yeah, there is an egoistic part about it). And there's also the golden rule. You treat others how you would want to be treated by them. If you like to be hated, feel free to hate others. Smiling 

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: But I think

Tarpan wrote:
But I think that in today's day and age the connections between the world are getting closer and closer. The areas of physical seperation are becoming smaller and smaller, and the cross-breeding and cross-interactions are increasing.

Partly, although personally I think it oversimplifies.  Homogeny seems to be contrary to human development.  I think it's tangential to the main thrust of our dialogue though, so not really worth pressing.

Tarpan wrote:
Religion plays a major roll in that because it educates that other groups are evil by nature. If Religion was just a belief about living your life and what happens after death and how you got here that's one thing. But religious organizations go far beyond that and teach discrimination and segregation and the majority of them don't adopt to the social changes of the world.

Some religions, sure.  I'd argue the vast majority are not conflict-oriented.  Judaism, Christianity, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Shinto, and all the nature/pseudospiritual traditions.  I can speak only for Christianity which teaches to love everyone, period.  The hatemongering and discrimination can more likely be attributed to social influences.  Irony?  I think so. Smiling

Tarpan wrote:
In the atheistic essence I can say "I don't know". Sure it's a bit absurd but if I find enjoyment in learning, in interacting with others, and with life in general then at l have a reason for living. I fear death because I enjoy life. I accept that it's all kind of pointless, but I'm not really doing anything at the moment so why not go along with it and make the best of the situation? And part of making the best of the situation, to me, is maximizing my time here and the time I can spend developing my life. Spending a large % of my life worshiping does not seem to honor that approach.

I've got some trouble here.  You enjoy learning, enjoy socializing (to paraphrase), and prefer to go along with things.  Certainly a comfortable if ambivalent existence.  Yet you also advocate uprooting an immensely large cornerstone of civilization?  Certainly you consider it worth uprooting, but your personal contribution is ambivalence?  I have trouble with learning and "go[ing] along with it" as compatible on their own, but the other seems a flat contradiction.

You also mention worship.  I suspect your belief on the nature of worship is really like your own professed ambivalence, but in an insular fashion.  First, I suggested above that this is really no different than what you say you do.  Second, I will say that there are people that treat worship this way, and it is equally deplorable.  The Christian directive is an active one.  Insularity ignores basic human responsability.

Tarpan wrote:
In the christian aspect it's absurd because you have an endless amount of people living their lives and then going to heaven...but then what?

Well, what happens after death isn't as simple as a lot of folks here seem to think.  To make a long story short, on the way to the Day of Judgement Christians are "sanctified," made holy.  There is precious little said of what happens after death in the Bible.  Ironic again since a common misconception is that it's a religion to make people less scared of death.  I can suggest that eternal life is not sitting on the proverbial "cloud nine" all day.  Work doesn't end; there's things to do.  Life is still life, just without sin.

Tarpan wrote:
I hope that answer is sufficient, if not I'll be happy to elaborate more.

I think it gets a lot closer, thank you.  And thank you also for continuing to reply.

Mattness wrote:
1) A human of normal intellect sees that if everyone thought like this humanity would have gone extinct long ago.

Sure, but this still doesn't concern me ("me" here as the devil's advocate with no god).  I'll likely be dead long before my disinterest erradicates civilization.

Mattness wrote:
2) You don't "play along for other folks' security". Plain as it is, you love others to be loved in return (yeah, there is an egoistic part about it). And there's also the golden rule. You treat others how you would want to be treated by them. If you like to be hated, feel free to hate others. Smiling

Loving and being loved is a more plausible cause for ethics, but it still doesn't explain why I shouldn't only be nice to people I like.  It doesn't explain why I shouldn't mouth off to my original hypothetical bystander just because.

The golden rule is off limits without an external moral authority, unless you have good reason for it to apply.  I can easily hate my neighbor and be loved by my friend - especially if my friend hates my neighbor, too.  One might suggest our friendship will deepen because of hatred.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I don't disagree that

I don't disagree that there's a bit of a contradiction.

I would say that for the vast majority of my life I have taken the laid back approach in general.  But as I get older and my kid gets older I start taking to heart that I want the world to be a better place for her.  Globalization is not something that happens over night, but neither did endin of slavery or the expansion of womens rights.  I look at the expansion of secularism as a similar movement to those.

So, instead of spending the spare hours of my life in a church or sitting by my bedside praying, I'm educating myself and trying to play an active roll in making the world a more secular and accepting place.

You talk about Christianity and other religions not teaching hatred, and this is where I disagree with you.  Even though the primary teachings may not neccessarily be interpreted that way by all, it does go that way for some.  The teachings DO talk about discrimination, and people who don't share your beliefs going to hell and that they are sinners.  These kinds of teachings breed discrimination and segregation because people can't accept and respect each other.  Then, when you have two groups of people that all think the other are sinners in the first place, it's a lot easier to encourage these sets of people to fight over other issues because you can tell them that it's "holy" and the noble or right thing to do.  And they don't need to feel bad because they are just killing sinner and doing god's work.

Did I just jump a bit from moderate to extreme? Yes, I did.  But I think that's what organized religion does.  Either on an individual or on a massive level you can get people to do things that they would not normally do by encouraging them to have faith that they will be rewarded with eternal bliss instead of having them evaluate the situation and get them to make up their own minds.  I think that's what you see a lot of right now in the middle east, and I think it's something that you could very easily see in the future if the indoctrination of "Christian warriors" in the US actually manages to work.

I was raised a roman catholic.  There's a couple of them in the world.  That pope guy is pretty popular.  Take into consideration the pope telling people in africa that use of condoms is bad.  With the expansion of aids and the associated death rates it's horrible that people would be told to not use contraceptives and specifically condoms.  Sure he's preaching abstinence, but that's just not enough.  It shows a clear disconnect between the church and reality.  Beliefs that have not kept up with the social reality of the world today.

Okay, I've gone on a rant and I'll stop there for now as I want to jump onto the Heaven thing again.

Do you think that the creating of humans onto earth to allow them to either gain access to Heaven or Hell absurd?  The infinite cycle of souls that God can create and he just keeps populating heaven with more? But chooses not to just create sinless souls? Even worse, he creates more souls that go to hell than he does that go to heaven? Doesn't that seem kind of absurd to you? Who controls hell? Is it a prison or just an alternate place that happens to be filled with fire? It seems absurd to think that Satan would torture sinners that would ultimatly be on his side, so is hell run by god? Why would he want to torture people? Why does he sentance people to an eternity of torture? Why doesn't he just poof them out of existance? If you have a sick dog, you put it down you don't torture it.

Stephen Pastis once refered to heaven as a never ending merchant and ivory film.  Is there any real reason to assume that it would be any more than that?

Okay, double ranted....sorry again.

The whole thing just seems absurd to me.  So I guess the question  is what absurdity is better? I would like to hope that the one that doesn't segegrate people and the one that is run democratically for the better of all people is the better one.  And unfortunatly, religious organizations in their current form are not the ones to do it.

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline

JHenson wrote:

Mattness wrote:

Sure, but this still doesn't concern me ("me" here as the devil's advocate with no god). I'll likely be dead long before my disinterest erradicates civilization.

It's just slightly irrational to assume that one would live in a world were everyone behaves like this.

JHenson wrote:

Mattness wrote:

Loving and being loved is a more plausible cause for ethics, but it still doesn't explain why I shouldn't only be nice to people I like. It doesn't explain why I shouldn't mouth off to my original hypothetical bystander just because.

How does it not explain that? Of course you can be an asshole and insult strangers, though that way you'll never make friends in the first place, who'd then, love you even though you are an asshole.

JHenson wrote:

The golden rule is off limits without an external moral authority, unless you have good reason for it to apply.

The external moral authority being god? That's by no means a necessary assumption. There are enough natural accounts for being ethical (I find Dawnkins explains this very eloquently in his book 'The God Delusion&#39Eye-wink. You say "unless you have good reason for it to apply", a good reason, for example, would be the survival of the species. Since we lived in small communities long ago, we did not want to offend people, whom we were likely to live with our entire life. They had to stick together to survive. Being moral and living as a community has great vantages.

JHenson wrote:
I can easily hate my neighbor and be loved by my friend - especially if my friend hates my neighbor, too. One might suggest our friendship will deepen because of hatred

Let me ask you, how did you make friends with your friend? Did you hate him when you met him for the first time? I don't think so.

You have to be kind to a person, at least respectful, for that person to return the favour (and become your friend in the first place). Of course you can hate your neighbour for whatever reason (or for none). But I'm sure he won't do you any favours, when you need his help.