If This Has Been Discussed Before, Please Point Me in the Right Direction

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
If This Has Been Discussed Before, Please Point Me in the Right Direction

Lately, I've been reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene and trying to catch up on a lot of the physics that I'm interested in that I never took in college.  From reading his book and questions about the nature of information, I was wondering if anyone has used this information towards theists about communicating with their God, especially through prayer.

It takes eight minutes for light to travel from the Sun to the Earth, and the speed of light is the Universe's speed limit.  As God isn't on Earth (I mean, I've never heard from people that say he dropped by the local drive-thru for a hamburger), anyone who appeals to God audibly has that appeal go only at the speed of sound.  We have machines that travel faster than that speed.

So I guess what I'm driving at is that if God were actually listening to audible prayers at a distance as far away as the Sun, it would take 120,936 hours approx. to get the sound waves to God.  That's a little over 13 years.  If God wanted to talk back, that's another 13 years.

If a Christian tells you an audible prayer was answered, we now have a way of determining exactly how far away "God" was to "answer that prayer".  Either God's in the building when Benny Hinn is huckstering for faith healings, or he's full of shit.  I'm perfectly content with option B.

But let's go with option A for a moment.  Wouldn't the air pressure of the building go up with an infinite God in residence?  How about the temperature, as that's a measure of motion?  Would God displace all the oxygen in a building and cause all those lovely believers to asphyxiate?

If these are arguments that have been used before, feel free to point me in that direction, or if some of our stronger scientists could elucidate on what I'm driving at, I would appreciate it. 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Haven't seen this before,

Haven't seen this before, but it's even worse - even assuming sound could travel that distance, there's no way it could leave the atmosphere - sound waves don't travel in a vacuum. Of course they don't travel anywhere near that far - you can't hear people even screaming at the top of their lungs as far as 10 miles away - and very few theists pray by screaming at the top of their lungs!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: Lately,

Family_Guy wrote:

Lately, I've been reading "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene and trying to catch up on a lot of the physics that I'm interested in that I never took in college. From reading his book and questions about the nature of information, I was wondering if anyone has used this information towards theists about communicating with their God, especially through prayer.

It takes eight minutes for light to travel from the Sun to the Earth, and the speed of light is the Universe's speed limit. As God isn't on Earth (I mean, I've never heard from people that say he dropped by the local drive-thru for a hamburger), anyone who appeals to God audibly has that appeal go only at the speed of sound. We have machines that travel faster than that speed.

So I guess what I'm driving at is that if God were actually listening to audible prayers at a distance as far away as the Sun, it would take 120,936 hours approx. to get the sound waves to God. That's a little over 13 years. If God wanted to talk back, that's another 13 years.

If a Christian tells you an audible prayer was answered, we now have a way of determining exactly how far away "God" was to "answer that prayer". Either God's in the building when Benny Hinn is huckstering for faith healings, or he's full of shit. I'm perfectly content with option B.

But let's go with option A for a moment. Wouldn't the air pressure of the building go up with an infinite God in residence? How about the temperature, as that's a measure of motion? Would God displace all the oxygen in a building and cause all those lovely believers to asphyxiate?

If these are arguments that have been used before, feel free to point me in that direction, or if some of our stronger scientists could elucidate on what I'm driving at, I would appreciate it.

If we are to postulate about God's existence then we must assume that God is ontologically distinct from his creation. You've made a categorical error in that God is not a physical being and hence wouldn't need to be bound by physical constants. Simply put, God is not waiting at the edge of the universe listening for our prayers.  

ttdm.blogspot.com

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
God uses wormholes. :P

God uses wormholes. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: God uses

Vastet wrote:
God uses wormholes. :P

Beat me to it. 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Family_Guy wrote: As God

Family_Guy wrote:
As God isn't on Earth (I mean, I've never heard from people that say he dropped by the local drive-thru for a hamburger), anyone who appeals to God audibly has that appeal go only at the speed of sound. We have machines that travel faster than that speed.

So I guess what I'm driving at is that if God were actually listening to audible prayers at a distance as far away as the Sun, it would take 120,936 hours approx. to get the sound waves to God. That's a little over 13 years. If God wanted to talk back, that's another 13 years.

God is everywhere, in all places, in all things.  This is why I find it funny that christians go to church to pray, surely anywhere would be as good as anywhere else?  Jebus himself said that you shouldn't make a show of your faith, praying and making a sight of yourself in public yet that's what christians do every saturday/sunday when they attend said church.  MattShizzle made a thread the other day on this very same thing I'm talking about, and it's something I've always wondered about and found amusing myself.

Of course, I'm expecting many a christian to come here trying to tell me otherwise.  There's been many things over the last few months where I thought the christian answer was one thing only to read them saying "chrstians/catholics think along these lines so what you're saying is bunk", when I got my christian answer from what I was taught by my roman catholic family/friends/priests back when I was one.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/