No god-proof

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
No god-proof

So there is no rational proof of god's existance. Is this the only type of proof acceptable? I have the suspicion that if tomorrow I went down to the beach and walked on the water that there would be those that would conclude that there is a perfectly rational explanation for the phenomenon that does not need god. So what would it take to actually "prove" God exists?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
If his

If his swirling supernatural form suddenly appeared before me and said "I am God!"

There is no proof that I can think of that would really show me God existed. It just seems a bit pointless. The thing is even if I had an experience I would probably try and find out exactly what it was.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So what would it

Quote:
So what would it take to actually "prove" God exists?

Wave, I think it's important for you to realize most atheists are not going to answer your question correctly, if I understand your theism even a little. You don't believe in the god of the bible, do you?

The god of the bible is a completely incoherent being that cannot possibly exist. You might as well asked what proof we would need before we'd believe in a married bachelor.

You'll have to define your god before we can say what it would take to believe in it.

Quote:
So there is no rational proof of god's existance. Is this the only type of proof acceptable?

And, what, exactly, would this other type of proof be, since proof is a rational concept?

That's just it. Give me a description of a being that could possibly exist, and I'll give you a perfectly rational test of its existence. If that test demonstrates its existence, I'll believe in it.

Quote:
I have the suspicion that if tomorrow I went down to the beach and walked on the water that there would be those that would conclude that there is a perfectly rational explanation for the phenomenon that does not need god.

Quite correct. I've seen more impressive things than that in my life. Illusion is so much fun, and science is forever impressing me with what is possible!

Anyway, wave, if you want to define your god, I'll tell you what it would take for me to believe in it. If not, then it's kind of a nonsense question, you see?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
what difference would it

what difference would it make if someone could prove that god exists? i still wouldn't worship him, he has a worse rap sheet than some of greatest criminals in history.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Anyway, wave, if you want to define your god, I'll tell you what it would take for me to believe in it. If not, then it's kind of a nonsense question, you see?

Fair enough. I'm working on it. But I hate saying things that are un-original so I may very well end up with nothing to say. At the very least, I can expect the un-orginality of what I think to be pointed out.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: what

djneibarger wrote:
what difference would it make if someone could prove that god exists? i still wouldn't worship him, he has a worse rap sheet than some of greatest criminals in history.

Huh? So if I can prove he exists you would automatically assume that everything done in his name is his fault, not the fault of power hungry people using convenient justifications? 

Uh ...

Yeah. 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you could proove God

If you could proove God existed then I would eat my hat. In fact I'd eat my wardrobe. However, would such a God be the God of the bible? The Qu'ran? or the Book of Spaghetti?

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
if god actually existed,

if god actually existed, why didn't he stop his own priests from raping little boys? he's all seeing, all knowing, all powerfull, right? was that just part of his special plan? to see young children sexually abused and emotionally traumatized by god's right hand men?

why didn't he step in during the holocaust? 911? the inquisitions? he could talk through a burning bush but could not prevent the slaughter of millions of innocents?

IF god were real, there is absolutely no excuse for his sadistic negligence. the only thing more sick than god, is the people who are aware of his behavior and continue to worship him, anyway.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: At the very least, I

Quote:
At the very least, I can expect the un-orginality of what I think to be pointed out.

ROFL

You crack me up. I think you are a cognitive masochist.

I used to know this guy who thought that nobody knew he was gay. He went to great pains to never show any outward signs, and was exceptionally careful to never date anyone from in town. Of course, all this careful planning just meant that the rumor mill ran at 100% efficiency, and everybody knew his business just the same as if he'd been out.

I know... you're wondering where in the nine hells I'm going with this... stick with me.

Here's the other thing. He was a staunch Republican, and a social conservative, and a theist. Many people pondered how he could possibly be gay and a Rethuglican Theist, but it was little old me who finally cracked the secret code. If he'd been a liberal, or an atheist, or anything less judgmental, he wouldn't have the fun of sneaking into bedroom windows at 4am and having naughty sex. He got off on the secrecy, and so he needed beliefs that would make what he did wrong.

Masochist. Through and through. Once I realized that everything in his life seemed to focus on him causing some kind of grief for himself, it made perfect sense that his sex life would be that way, too.

Anyway, just a little story. No point. And, yes, I'll be happy to point out the unoriginality of any particularly unoriginal ideas you come up with. I'm here to help.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism