Forgiving, Repentence, and the Bible

Out Of The Logi...
Out Of The Logic Loop's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgiving, Repentence, and the Bible

Just a question for those who are fairly familiar with the Bible.  Is it true that Jesus will forgive nearly anything one can possibly to with the exception of blasphemy against the holy spirit?  What else does the Bible say about forgiveness and repentence?

Thanks in advance!!

WASannannienann
User is offlineOffline
In summary, you can comment

In summary, you can comment any act and as long in your heart of hearts you ask Jesus for forgiveness you will get it; except for the blasphemy thing.

I learned that in Religious Studies. I had such fun arguing about morality. It’s a sad sight when a grown man is argued into a corner by a 14-year-old on matters of his own religion.

JHenson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Out Of The Logic Loop

Out Of The Logic Loop wrote:
Just a question for those who are fairly familiar with the Bible.  Is it true that Jesus will forgive nearly anything one can possibly to with the exception of blasphemy against the holy spirit?  What else does the Bible say about forgiveness and repentence?

The bare-bones idea is that people are entirely enslaved to sin, both by free will and inheritance.  The penalty for sin is death ("If you eat of this fruit you will surely die&quotEye-wink.  Jesus stood in for us to take that punishment, and as our intercessor he also conquered death by being resurrected.  He created a way for us to overcome our sinful lives through death.

When a person realizes their sin and incapacity to change, they must put their faith in Jesus Christ as their savior.  This "justifies" a person - makes it as if they had never sinned.  However, a person is still sinful.  The process after justification is called "sanctification," the process of cleansing a person of their sin to become the image of God they were intended to be.

So yes - through Jesus Christ, God will forgive all sins, but this only creates the potential to be sanctified.  Sanctification is not completed in this life, just as Jesus had to die before taking his place by his Father's side.  Repentance is part of putting all your faith - all your confidence - in Jesus' power to remove your sin.  This is what is meant when he says he is "the Way" and "the life."

I hope that helps answer your question.  I'd be lying if I said it was simple!

"The map appears more real to us than the land." - Lawrence