objective historical evidence as to the existence of the God of the Bible.

chan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
objective historical evidence as to the existence of the God of the Bible.

In the Old Testament Book of Genesis God made a promise to a man named Abram that he would make him a great nation. That nation was Israel. The Bible mentions that Israel was disobedient to God and went into captivity and suffered the consequences etc. They have been removed from their homeland twice, the second time occurred with the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.

For almost 1900 years, the Jews have wandered the earth as strangers who were persecuted on every side. This culminated in the holocaust of WWII, when 6 million Jews were put to death in concentration camps. Yet, against all odds, the state of Israel was reborn on May 14, 1948 and the Jews began to return to their homeland from all points of the compass. This was the second time in their history since becoming a nation that they have come back into their land. Since 1948 they have survived some terrible conflicts, including the 1967 Six Day War and the 1973 Holy Day War. Through all of this, the nation neither perished nor lost its national identity. History has demonstrated that any people who leave their homeland will, after about five generations, lose their identity by being absorbed into the new culture, but the Jews remained a distinct identity.

Now I ask, is this a coincidence? Or is it because their nation is so resourceful? Or is it possible that the God of the Bible is watching over His nation as he promised?

The God of the Bible has demonstrated his existence and faithfulness by His dealing with the nation Israel as an objective sign to the world, testifying to His existence and verifying His promises.

"An unexamined life is not worth living. An unexamined belief is not worth believing." - Dr. Abraham Vema

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Without even having to

Without even having to address Isreal's resources or tactical vantage points, I can say this.  This proof of God's existence holds as much weight as my family's claims that I have not found a new job yet because I haven't been praying (ignoring the fact that the job market is thin and I'm still entry level).

The two wars that you brought up were easily won because Isreal was on the defensive in both, if I recall correctly.  Offensives are always much harder.  Just look at the American civil war for proof of that.  Each time the confederate or the union army pushed into the other's territory, it resulted in heavy troop loss, stretched supply lines, and ultimately retreat back across the line.

The fact that Jewish people have "retained their identity" holds less to a testament of God and more to the psychological effects of a culture that forbids mixing into other cultures for fear of being destroyed for it. 

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
It could have something to

It could have something to do with the massive arms stockpile the United States keeps there, or the disproportionate amount of aid they receive. As a U.S.-friendly nation in the middle east, there are strategic reasons to support them. And, if parts of our government genuinely believe as you do (as the president claims he does), they will work toward "fulfilling" biblical prophecy; which, of course, includes bringing about armageddon.
As for the establishment of Israel as proof of the bible's authority, as opposed to proof of European contrition for the holocaust, political pandering, or any number of earthly goals, don't make me laugh too hard.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
chan wrote: In the Old

chan wrote:

In the Old Testament Book of Genesis God made a promise to a man named Abram that he would make him a great nation. That nation was Israel. The Bible mentions that Israel was disobedient to God and went into captivity and suffered the consequences etc. They have been removed from their homeland twice, the second time occurred with the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.

For almost 1900 years, the Jews have wandered the earth as strangers who were persecuted on every side. This culminated in the holocaust of WWII, when 6 million Jews were put to death in concentration camps. Yet, against all odds, the state of Israel was reborn on May 14, 1948 and the Jews began to return to their homeland from all points of the compass. This was the second time in their history since becoming a nation that they have come back into their land. Since 1948 they have survived some terrible conflicts, including the 1967 Six Day War and the 1973 Holy Day War. Through all of this, the nation neither perished nor lost its national identity. History has demonstrated that any people who leave their homeland will, after about five generations, lose their identity by being absorbed into the new culture, but the Jews remained a distinct identity.

Now I ask, is this a coincidence? Or is it because their nation is so resourceful? Or is it possible that the God of the Bible is watching over His nation as he promised?

Or is it that the very existence of this myth has had a binding influence on a group of people who either have a genetic heritage of judaism, or who simply choose to align with jewish people (converts)? How can we ignore the very fact that Jews were motivated by these biblical claims in the first place?

Quote:

The God of the Bible has demonstrated his existence and faithfulness by His dealing with the nation Israel as an objective sign to the world, testifying to His existence and verifying His promises.

Or, it might be that there is a group of people today who call themselves "jews", because either 1) they share a genetic heritage or 2) some choose to convert to this religion?  And that this group of people today is not precisely the same group, but instead a new group that shares 1) genetics with the original group, as well as a  2) a desire to share and express a similar (not the same) religion  and 3) identify with this cultural heritage.

The idea that this is the 'same people' and the 'same nation' is based on the notion that sharing genetic and cultural similarities makes all members part of the 'same group'.  The claim is questionable, unless one presumes that one's descendents are fated to endless pay for and replay the behaviors of an ancient past.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'