God is Plausible - Mathematical hypothesis leads to origin and a God.

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is Plausible - Mathematical hypothesis leads to origin and a God.

God is plausible.

I am not a religious man in the evangelical sense. I will say however that even though there was a Big Bang there also was probably a Banger. To think the whole universe exploded as a spontaneous event from nothing is less believable then thinking you could spontaneously explode where you sit as you read this.

I have, since my early college days, debated with my thoughts and others the logical path to God. I started with what was broken or could be bent in our universe (ie time) and worked backwards to the concepts of infinity, pi and zero. In the 15 years or so I tried to negotiate the Big Bang, dark matter, time, pi, infinity and the irrationals of our usable math. My conclusion leads to something beyond the singularity event that is in fact conceptually God.

Any rational responder one wish to explore this?

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is also plausible that my

It is also plausible that my girlfriend is cheeting on me, but I have no evidence of that.

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
First the matter we tend to

First the matter we tend to speak of is baryonic matter - the "normal" matter which makes up the stars, planets and people, makes only 4% of the entire universe.  The properties of dark matter and dark energy are not known.

Now to the brass tack

To postulate that there may exist a scientific or logical law that allows something to evolve from nothing as a theory and then using those "laws" for that form of matter and try to apply it to newly discovered forms of matter and energy that cannot be tested is unscientific and completely unworkable in explaining evolution. A wishful hypothetical of a supernatural concern that is just as much "out there" as the raving evangelical damning your souls from the street corner.

Understanding fundamental basic laws will make the universe self evident and will not preclude a God (a self-aware creation enity) does not or cannot exist.

Also, if any of you think it is possible your girlfriend is cheating you would be proactive in its discovery unless you are in denial. A common defense mechanism that protects you on some personal level.

"I felt in my bones that this universe does not explain itself." ~ C. S. Lewis

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: Understanding

e303 wrote:

Understanding fundamental basic laws will make the universe self evident and will not preclude a God (a self-aware creation enity) does not or cannot exist.

A self aware creation entity would be natural, unless you want to explain how something can be self aware without matter or energy.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
More fun with God

Leave the comfort box of what you think you know about all matter...

This section is just for fun because the truth of the MATTER is more complex than 5th grade text books let on.

New original joke seen for the first time ever

The Law of Conservation of Mass (or Matter) in a chemical reaction can be stated thus:

In a chemical reaction, matter is neither created nor destroyed.

This begs the logical questions, "If matter and energy cannot be created, how did they originate?" and "Where did the entire observable physical universe come from?"

ANSWER: A rational thinker might say say "From a God". Another rational thinker might also say "Not from a God." It really depends on the sins of the thinker.

In physics, there is no broad consensus as to an exact definition of matter. God is probably indeed natural but not from the same matter or energy that makes up stars, planets or people. Evidence of God may exist in dark matter or energy both contain particles unknown to present science.

Turning a flat world into a round one is pretty fun. Smile

The universe =

4% Atoms (Ye Old "matter is neither created nor destroyed" rule applies here.)

23% Dark Matter

73% Dark Energy

Thus 96% of the energy density in the universe is in a form that has never been directly detected in the laboratory. The actual density of atoms is equivalent to roughly 1 proton per 4 cubic meters.

**** For those who don't know, that is not very much. Hardly enough to effect anything on a universal scale. ****

In fact new data suggests Dark Energy seems more like a "cosmological constant".

So is God natural? - probably so.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: Leave the

e303 wrote:

Leave the comfort box of what you think you know about all matter...

This section is just for fun because the truth of the MATTER is more complex than 5th grade text books let on.

New original joke seen for the first time ever

The Law of Conservation of Mass (or Matter) in a chemical reaction can be stated thus:

In a chemical reaction, matter is neither created nor destroyed.

This begs the logical questions, "If matter and energy cannot be created, how did they originate?"

No, it does not beg such a question.  It is a fallacy of composition to apply the laws of thermodynamnis to the universe itself. They are laws about how things working within our universe.

Quote:

ANSWER: A rational thinker might say say "From a God". Another rational thinker might also say "Not from a God." It really depends on the sins of the thinker.

It's never rational to say 'goddidit' as 'god' is an incoherent term.

There are several possible answers from cosmology.

I invite you to read what actual cosmologists have to say on the matter:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/common_cosmological_misconceptions 

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
Incoherent: Unable to think

Incoherent:

Unable to think or express one's thoughts in a clear or orderly manner 

Saying God is an incoherent term probably has been a pretty safe tag word because most people can't define what God might be. I have defined God for me and now for you and thus God is no longer an incoherent term for my post.

Everything I posted about dark energy, matter et al. has been current and from the best and brightest thinkers about such subjects. You cannot escape these facts or reorder the univere to make it fit.

BTW...Anyone know what Occam's said?

Occam's Razor:

"Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity"

Most change this to mean:

The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony.

Applying the principle of parsimony to the God question should be fun for both sides.

Please go first.

Given what we know about the universe and accepting what we only have a loose grasp on about of 4% of it.

Please finish this: Baryonic (observable) matter came into being by....

If Not God is your answer it is one I will accept and understand but that is pretty weak coming from a group of people who think people compartmentalize God.

Before you answer, if you answer, consider this carefully and know the matter which we know about is about 4% of what is out there. The rest does not need to comply with the 4%'s laws. Dark matter and energy do exist and are not held to the same laws of thermodynamics as baryonic matter. (Our planets, stars, people, atoms etc.)

To be 100% clear lets define the first and second law thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that one form of energy, e.g. kinetic, potential, electrical energy, thermal,... can be converted into another without loss. The second law states that thermal energy, or heat, is special among the types of energies: all the forms of energy can be converted into heat, but in a way that is not reversible; it is not possible to convert the heat back fully in its original form. In other words, heat is a form of energy of lower quality.

I would like to say I do appreciate the civility of most posters thus far. It is very nice to see and allows a more rich dialog.  Hat off to todangst.  I do respect your convictions if not your conclusions.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303

e303 wrote:

Incoherent:

Unable to think or express one's thoughts in a clear or orderly manner

The term 'god' is incoherent because it's a broken concept, a reference without identity. 

Quote:

Saying God is an incoherent term probably has been a pretty safe tag word because most people can't define what God might be

No one can. You can't make a referncen beyond existence.

Quote:

I have defined God for me 

No, you have not.  I have shown you precisely why your definitions fail.  You cannot refer to something beyond nature.

Quote:

Everything I posted about dark energy, matter et al. has been current and from the best and brightest thinkers about such subjects. 

That's nice. 

unfortunately, none of it has any bearing on the matter of ontology and your 'god' term.

Quote:

BTW...Anyone know what Occam's said?

Occam's Razor:

"Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity"

Most change this to mean:

The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony.

Applying the principle of parsimony to the God question should be fun for both sides.

Please go first.

I already have gone first.

When I asked you to provide an ontology for your 'god'

As per occam's razor, you must concede that your 'god theory' multiplies complexity into infinity.

I've been using the razor all along. 

Quote:

Please finish this: Baryonic (observable) matter came into being by....

Already done, ad nauseum:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/common_cosmological_misconceptions

3) Common misconception: Ex Nihilo arguments (something out of nothing) are arguments for a magical creation of the universe that violate all the laws of physics.

Theistic ex nihilo arguments are in fact irrational, magical explanations that violate physics.

However, interestingly, there are ex nihilo cosmological arguments that do NOT violate physics.

But where would the matter come from?

"While there would be no matter prior to the big bang, the big bang would release an enormous amount of energy in the form of light, which comes in discrete packets called photons. When photons have enough energy, they can spontaneously decay into a particle and an antiparticle. This is easily observed today, as gamma rays have enough energy to create measurable electron-antielectron pairs (the antielectron is usually called a positron). This would explain the existence of matter."

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=631

Ok then, where does the energy come from?

As for the source of the original energy? There are several theories:

a) Edward Tryon has put forth the idea of a vacuum fluctation, which is NOT a violation of physical law, as the original source. Alan Guth's Inflationary Model explains the rapid expansion of this energy. Source: The Inflationary Universe by Alan Guth. Tryon makes the point that the total sum of positive and negative energy in the universe may well be ZERO, indicating again, that no physical laws are violated by the big bang event. As Tryon writes: "Im my model, I assume that our present universe did appear out of nowhere 10 to the 10th power years ago. Contrary to the popular belief, such an event need not have violated any of the conventional laws of physics. Source: The Inflationary Universe by Alan Guth. Note: this version is akin to ex nihlio creation, except that it does NOT violate any laws of physics and does not require a 'miracle'.

b) Alex Vilenkin proposed, in contrast to the Hartle-Hawkings boundless model, an initial state of no dimensional nothingness that is overcome by vacuum tunneling to a dimensional state. As per his model, 'eternal nothingness' is an absolute impossibility.

See my audio file on this: http://www.candleinthedark.com/exnihilo.mp3

Quote:

I would like to say I do appreciate the civility of most posters thus far. It is very nice to see and allows a more rich dialog. Hat off to todangst. I do respect your convictions if not your conclusions.

Thank you. 

You have no rational grounds to disrespect my conclusions. 

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote:

e303 wrote:

The universe =

23% Dark Matter

73% Dark Energy

Thus 96% of the energy density in the universe is in a form that has never been directly detected in the laboratory. The actual density of atoms is equivalent to roughly 1 proton per 4 cubic meters.

**** For those who don't know, that is not very much. Hardly enough to effect anything on a universal scale. ****

In fact new data suggests Dark Energy seems more like a "cosmological constant".

Uhm, actually the law states "Matter(No matter the form, dark or not, or anti-matter, it is still matter) AND energy(no matter the form, dark or not, it is still energy) can not be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed. Matter can convert into energy, and vise versa.

Atoms can be destroyed. They break into there three couter parts protons neutrons, and electrons. Then they can break down or be destroyed again, into qwarks, and qworks that make up protons and neutrons. Oh and yes, stuff make up those. The base line of matter/energy is called mass-energy level where nothing can break down further, and ALL matter and energy is the same, no matter the form.

You show no understanding of physics you just like to pick to try and prove a point.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here you go.What God

Here you go.

What God possibly is can be defined and was. A God would be part of nature but our understanding of that nature is 96% incomplete.

Pretty easy.

No one can write a book about creation from a scientific standpoint without acknowledging it is their best guess.

I may be classified as a theist who does not desire to break the rules of physics. Equally, I won't let others toss around coin phrase and concepts that are incomplete and pass them off as absolute truth.

In the end, most of the actual universe picture is very incomplete. Anyone who tries to write on the subject of creation is really only making suggestion for direction of the answers we seek. Most of the things people try to apply the laws of physics to is only about 4% of the pi. Science does acknowledge dark energy and matter and it also acknowledges little is know about it other than the universe is made up mostly by it. We will be rewriting the cosmological text and cosmic theory books soon I assure you.

Ultimately I may not convince you a God, as I have defined can exist.

I agree something came from something and that something we do not have an understanding but the "universe" in the past 10 years has grown in concept.  Leaps and bounds in fact. Leading to some very strange things that fly in the face ow what we once thought.

Why is it impossible to consider both dark matter and dark energies might contain a self-aware entity that can act and interact with the physical and observable universe.

It is no more magical than saying abracadabra the Universal Soup has always been ready. Which is saying science ignores what it cannot measure thus leaving gaps of understanding about creation and living with it.

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine..."

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote: e303

James Cizuz wrote:
e303 wrote:

The universe =

23% Dark Matter

73% Dark Energy

Uhm, actually the law states "Matter(No matter the form, dark or not, or anti-matter, it is still matter) AND energy(no matter the form, dark or not, it is still energy) can not be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed. Matter can convert into energy, and vise versa.

Atoms can be destroyed. They break into there three couter parts protons neutrons, and electrons. Then they can break down or be destroyed again, into qwarks, and qworks that make up protons and neutrons. Oh and yes, stuff make up those. The base line of matter/energy is called mass-energy level where nothing can break down further, and ALL matter and energy is the same, no matter the form.

You show no understanding of physics you just like to pick to try and prove a point.

It is a shame we tagged the word matter & energy on to dark matter and dark energy.  The fact is no one knows its properties but we do know it does not behave like "normal matter". 

If you do know, please step up and claim your newtownian prize.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: James Cizuz

e303 wrote:
James Cizuz wrote:
e303 wrote:

The universe =

23% Dark Matter

73% Dark Energy

It is a shame we tagged the word matter & energy on to dark matter and dark energy. The fact is no one knows its properties but we do know it does not behave like "normal matter".

If you do know, please step up and claim your newtownian prize.

We know something can not come from nothing. We know something can not be completely destroyed, no matter what it is. IT changes, but you still have the same ammount just in another form. This goes for dark matter, dark energy, energy, matter, anti-matter, vacuum energy etc. That is why the law states nothing can be created nor destroyed, it's been tested over and over. Mass-energy level is where everything is the same. Dark matter is simply a form of matter that does not reflect enough energy from any method of detection to be  observed or tested. Same with dark energy. We know it is real since some force is pushing our universe outwords faster and faster, which means some form of matter, or energy is moving faster and is on the inside and is pushing it outwords.

However, like I said, you like to assert stuff. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
We know something can not

We know something can not come from nothing. We know something can not be completely destroyed, no matter what it is. IT changes, but you still have the same ammount just in another form. This goes for dark matter, dark energy, energy, matter, anti-matter, vacuum energy etc. That is why the law states nothing can be created nor destroyed, it's been tested over and over. Mass-energy level is where everything is the same. Dark matter is simply a form of matter that does not reflect enough energy from any method of detection to be  observed or tested. Same with dark energy. We know it is real since some force is pushing our universe outwords faster and faster, which means some form of matter, or energy is moving faster and is on the inside and is pushing it outwords.

However, like I said, you like to assert stuff. 

Hi there.

There is no proof or reason to think that dark matter and dark energy are held to the laws you have stated.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: Here you

e303 wrote:

Here you go.

What God possibly is can be defined and was.

No, it was not.  

A God would be part of nature

Then "god' is no longer god. Say goodbye to theism. Hello to Spinozian pantheism.

Quote:

but our understanding of that nature is 96% incomplete.

Pretty easy.

Pretty silly.

The fact that our knowledge of nature is incomplete is not a grounds for holding that 'god is natural'.

In addition, to hold that 'god is natural' is to refute theism. "god" can no longer be the 'answer' to the problems of the matter of existence. If 'god' is natural, then  'god' is yet another existent that requires an explanation.

Quote:

Your definition is self refuting.

Quote:

Why is it impossible to consider both dark matter and dark energies might contain a self-aware entity that can act and interact with the physical and observable universe.

It's not impossible to consider, but what rational grounds do you have for the claim?

And again, if lumps of dark matter circling galaxies are 'god' then your 'god' ceases to be anything that has anything at all to do with theism.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote: We know

James Cizuz wrote:

We know something can not come from nothing.

Again, the laws of thermodynamics are rules about our universe, it is a fallacy of composition to apply them to the universe itself. 

There are ex nihilo accounts for the universe that do not violate physics.

This does not make theistic ex nihilo accounts coherent, those accounts remain incoherent as they rely on supernaturalism. 

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: e303

todangst wrote:
e303 wrote:

Here you go.

No, it was not.  

A God would be part of nature

Then "god' is no longer god. Say goodbye to theism. Hello to Spinozian pantheism.

Quote:

but our understanding of that nature is 96% incomplete.

Pretty easy.

Pretty silly.

The fact that our knowledge of nature is incomplete is not a grounds for holding that 'god is natural'.

In addition, to hold that 'god is natural' is to refute theism. "god" can no longer be the 'answer' to the problems of the matter of existence. If 'god' is natural, then  'god' is yet another existent that requires an explanation.

Quote:

Your definition is self refuting.

Quote:

It's not impossible to consider, but what rational grounds do you have for the claim?

And again, if lumps of dark matter circling galaxies are 'god' then your 'god' ceases to be anything that has anything at all to do with theism.

Every quote the reverse can be asked of or applied to your assumptions about God or a lack of one. 

For me given the fact there is more we don't know than we do about the univers, time and creation if is only fair to say I can think about what is possible and others don't want to know.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: There is no

e303 wrote:

There is no proof or reason to think that dark matter and dark energy are held to the laws you have stated.

Really? Then how could we even be able to conjecture about dark matter in the first place? Outliers in current models led to the concept of dark matter, meaning that there was a falsifiable hypothesis and a predictive theory of dark matter before any attempts to detect dark matter. 

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:e303

todangst wrote:
e303 wrote:

There is no proof or reason to think that dark matter and dark energy are held to the laws you have stated.

Really? Then how could we even be able to conjecture about dark matter in the first place? Outliers in current models led to the concept of dark matter, meaning that there was a falsifiable hypothesis and a predictive theory of dark matter before any attempts to detect dark matter. 

Because it is the best unknown that holds value and options for eplaining how and where the matter that makes up the planets, stars etc came from.

The latest on dark matter is that is it is less a player than dark energy but still more than "normal" matter.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: todangst

e303 wrote:
todangst wrote:
e303 wrote:

Because it is the best unknown that holds value and options for eplaining how and where the matter that makes up the planets, stars etc came from.

You're not answering my point.

Quote:

The latest on dark matter is that is it is less a player than dark energy but still more than "normal" matter.

So? It's still matter:

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/yellow_number_five/science/7037 

We can detect its effects on 'light' matter..... so it cleary has a positive identity. 

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
I should also say dark

I should also say dark matter and dark energy do have an influence on the rest so it would and did leave a breadcrumb for discovery. This does not mean it has the same  properties as normal matter at all.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: Every quote

e303 wrote:

Every quote the reverse can be asked of or applied to your assumptions about God or a lack of one.

No, they cannot.

And you're just getting lazy at this point.

Quote:

For me given the fact there is more we don't know than we do about the univers, time and creation if is only fair to say I can think about what is possible and others don't want to know.

For the 100th time, you are unable to provide an ontology for your 'god'. If you hold 'god' is natural, then you are not longer even  discussing theism. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: I should also

e303 wrote:
I should also say dark matter and dark energy do have an influence on the rest so it would and did leave a breadcrumb for discovery.

Which means that they are natural existents.

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: e303

todangst wrote:
e303 wrote:

Every quote the reverse can be asked of or applied to your assumptions about God or a lack of one.

No, they cannot.

And you're just getting lazy at this point.

Quote:

lol Fair enough.

I wonder if it also fair to ask someone to disprove a God?

The onthology of a god as I defined does not matter because that deals the nature and relations of being, based on visible morphological characters with the abilities and properties of a God tossed in for good measure.

A silly question to ask me because this post was and is about entertaining the possibilty of an entity that exist or did exist that could "fill in the blanks" about creation because it had a hand (lack of better term) in it.

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:e303

todangst wrote:

e303 wrote:
I should also say dark matter and dark energy do have an influence on the rest so it would and did leave a breadcrumb for discovery.

Which means that they are natural existents.

I agree dark matter and dark energy are natural to the universe.  The problem is what we know bout most of the universe including the properties that make up most of it are still unknown and open to speculation of all kinds including the "footprints" of a self aware entity I call God.

e303
Theist
e303's picture
User is offlineOffline
e303 wrote: todangst

e303 wrote:
todangst wrote:
e303 wrote:

Here you go.

Quote:

In this flash movie http://www.e303.org/demo/UV1.swf

I think I said dark matter and energy were at the begining and will play a part of our end.  I think universe and some of its properties are finite.  I think dark matter and dark energy exist and will continue to exist when everything in the universe has been destroyed.  It takes volumes to explain why I have that level of thinking.  Much of it will be published by those in the field over the next few years.

I will agree science does not have proof of a God yet but everyone should "Man up", stop bashing folks who hold on to a little hope in the world and say God has not been disproven by science so it is possible we are missing it.