An interesting topic to consider.

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
An interesting topic to consider.

I was just watching the history channel, and they were doing a special on hidden messages in the bible. http://skepdic.com/bibcode.html

It's somewhat interesting, because I don't know if this is legit or not, but hey it was on the History channel. They did searchs for things like Hitler, and Man on the moon, and World war 2, and Pearl harbor, and other major events/people in history and found hidden messages in the same grids of the area they were looking for that directly correlate with the word they were looking for. Like, For Kennedy, They said they found will be assassinated by an assassin. And, other things that supposedly directly correlate with the events. I found it somewhat interesting however, I'm not sure if it is reliable or not, they say it is too consistent to just take on chance. However... my reasoning is if they are looking for letters to make words.. they could form anything so it could very well not be legit. Any opinions on this? 

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

thraxas
thraxas's picture
User is offlineOffline
The history channel has

The history channel has gotten a little "popularized" as to bring these types of programs. Honestly what you mention the program brings up is a matter of human psychology. We find ideas, pictures, patterns in things that do not actually have them merely because we want to find them. Our primitive brain helped us survive back when were protohumans by relying on patterns - finding them in the environment around them. This sort of pattern finding behavior of the brain still exists today and is manifested in things like you mention and a multitude of other ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Biochemist & Law Student

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." -Thomas Jefferson

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly. "People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true."

Although I was thinking if it were true.. I still don't believe in God. It just makes me consider time traveling more seriously. Sticking out tongue

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

Ignorance Is Bliss
User is offlineOffline
thraxas wrote: The history

thraxas wrote:
The history channel has gotten a little "popularized" as to bring these types of programs. Honestly what you mention the program brings up is a matter of human psychology. We find ideas, pictures, patterns in things that do not actually have them merely because we want to find them. Our primitive brain helped us survive back when were protohumans by relying on patterns - finding them in the environment around them. This sort of pattern finding behavior of the brain still exists today and is manifested in things like you mention and a multitude of other ridiculous conspiracy theories.

I saw this special around two years ago (the one on the history channel), and laughed for a good hour.  If one takes the book Moby Dick, and makes a matrix of it, words pop up as well. Take almost any book, and if you make a matrix of it, you'll find sentences, words, messages, etc. Mark the percentage of words that AREN'T messages as opposed to those that are in books. It's just the random pattern of human language. Ever seen a word pop up in a word search that wasn't one of the words? I have. Furthermore, the matricies are applied AFTER it happened. It's just human beings finding patterns. You're applying ambiguous statements or phrases (Nostrodamus anyone?) and creating "prophecy". Man I love people who don't know what probability is.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Tyl3r04 wrote: It's

Tyl3r04 wrote:
It's somewhat interesting, because I don't know if this is legit or not, but hey it was on the History channel.

I've seen on the History channel a show about the history of Satan. It was NOT about the history about the idea of Satan, but presented as an actual story about Satan's supposed activity in the past.

Being on the History channel doesn't mean it's a crock of shit.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's bull. If you look long

It's bull. If you look long and hard enough at a finite set of letters and put them together in different ways, you can make them say anything you want, I bet you I could make a passage in the bible say "Get me some cheese bitch" if I stared at it long enough.

They used to believe that various rock 'n' roll songs said Satanic things if played backwards, which is of course bull shit!

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Tyl3r04

MrRage wrote:
Tyl3r04 wrote:
It's somewhat interesting, because I don't know if this is legit or not, but hey it was on the History channel.
I've seen on the History channel a show about the history of Satan. It was NOT about the history about the idea of Satan, but presented as an actual story about Satan's supposed activity in the past. Being on the History channel doesn't mean it's a crock of shit.

I know, it was suppose to be implied as a joke.