A Personal Thanks to the RRS

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A Personal Thanks to the RRS

I would just like to offer my heart-felt thanks to the RRS for reaffirming my faith in the living God. The more I read on this site, the more I am convinced that atheists are not fighting against thesim, but rather, they are fighting their conscience in hopes that their refusal to accept God will surpress the responsibility that one bares when they accept God and his expectations of our lives here on earth. Why would we try so hard to deny something that does not exist? Do humans fight over the existance of Santa? Do we fight to prove that the easter bunny exixts? Why then must we fight what we hold to be true in our minds and our hearts? The Definition of Atheism should be "the refusal to execpt God", rather than "a disbelief in God". I speak on behalf of millions of Christians, Muslims and Jews, when I say thank you for helping us to resist Blind faith, but to question our beliefs and reaffirm them in the face of adversity............ 

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." -CS Lewis

Lux
Theist
User is offlineOffline
what You are doing is

what You are doing is telling Kids that there is no God, when you have no way of proving that. You are telling Kids that You can't believe in God and be intelligent at the same time. What you are offering kids is an empty hand. What religion offers them is: Hope, love, kindness, a personal relationship with God, absolute morals, a premis of morality, and spiritual peace. I could go on and on. Using the term "indoctrinating" is a very dishonest. The kids need the ability to choose, not the ability to doubt and be paranoid.

"Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..." -CS Lewis

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually they need the

Actually they need the ability to both choose and doubt. Being paranoid doesn't enter the equation. And, for the 99billionth time, the burden of proof is on the one who says something does exist.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
Lux wrote:

Lux wrote:
what You are doing is telling Kids that there is no God, when you have no way of proving that. You are telling Kids that You can't believe in God and be intelligent at the same time. What you are offering kids is an empty hand. What religion offers them is: Hope, love, kindness, a personal relationship with God, absolute morals, a premis of morality, and spiritual peace. I could go on and on. Using the term "indoctrinating" is a very dishonest. The kids need the ability to choose, not the ability to doubt and be paranoid.

And I suppose your "Believe in Jesus, or Go to hell" belief really gives a choice either? You are wrong. We GIVE them the ability to choose. However, before we give children the ability to choose, we try to instill a sense of rational and reasonable thinking in them. So that they may choose with their own logic, with their own reason, with their own minds so they can decide for themselves what is right to them rather than what they are taught to believe like so many religions try to do.

You claim that Religion offers hope? I don't call "Believe or Burn" hope. Are you saying that without believing in God we are incapable of having hope, love, kindness, and morals? That there is no point? How many times have we heard that before? Let me tell you one thing. Atheism is the disbelief in God/Gods and that is it. I may not believe in God, but I sure as hell have damn good morals, WITHOUT god. I believe in Love, kindness, and all that WITHOUT god. I love life. I think that because of my Atheistic views, I have a much greater appreciation for life. I see it as something that is much more precious than most people think. And that a waste of life is a tragedy. WITHOUT God.

To say that we don't give people the ability to decide whether they believe in God is bullshit and you know it. I imagine that every single person here who does not believe in God decided it on their own through their own reason and logic opposed to simply being TOLD that god does not exist.

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't really want to join

I don't really want to join this name-calling storm with yet another troll, but I just want to point out one thing.

Lux wrote:
LMAO.......tell that to Ken Miller, a devout Catholic. Though he doens't support ID, he certainly would disagree that there is no room for a designer.

I'd just like to point out that Ken Miller has offered one of the best refutations of ID 'theory' I've ever seen, going into specifics about Michael Behe's arguments, and providing details about how evolutionary theory has been shown to predict the things that Behe claims were irreducibly complex.

ID, the notion that life was designed by an intelligence, directly conflicts with evolutionary theory, which Miller supports, so he clearly does not believe in a designer of life. How he reconciles his Catholicism with his science is not something he had discussed publicly in great detail, to my knowledge, but I don't think you can claim that he's on your side.

Anyway, others who have posted are correct in that appealing to authority is not an argument, but I didn't want to see Ken Miller so badly misrepresented.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyone else agree the

Anyone else agree the picture of the pope should be replaced with the "asshat" pic?

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lux wrote: what You are

Lux wrote:

Isn't it cute that he turned to straw manning atheism, special pleading and appeals to emotion when he figured out that he had no logical points? 

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Maragon wrote: Isn't it

Maragon wrote:
Isn't it cute that he turned to straw manning atheism, special pleading and appeals to emotion when he figured out that he had no logical points?

Not really, no. I think the only way that sort of thing could be cute is if a puppy was doing it. 

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.