I disprove christianity in 3 words

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I disprove christianity in 3 words

Christians: Argue against this. Atheists: Tell me where I went right and where I went wrong.

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanadaQuote:. Yes

BenfromCanada

Quote:

Yes it was. Let's list a few Messianic prophecies that claim the Messiah was to be a physical political leader, all NIV, all taken from Rook's list, all double checked on Biblegateway.

Psalm 72:11 (New International Version)

11 All kings will bow down to him
and all nations will serve him.

God controls government (kings) He uses evil Kings and Righteous Kings. All serve God wether the are good or evil. God uses all we do in this world to his own ends.
For example. Jesus was crucified and God used that evil for his good purposes.
You assume this verse means a physical visible King but it doesn’t say that.

Quote:

Psalm 132:11-12
11 The LORD swore an oath to David,
a sure oath that he will not revoke:
"One of your own descendants
I will place on your throne-

12 if your sons keep my covenant
and the statutes I teach them,
then their sons will sit
on your throne for ever and ever."

Note that the verses speak of forever and ever. Physically, it is impossible for any man to rule forever and ever because we all die. So this isn’t talking about a physical visible Jesus . Verse 11 refers to Jesus. Verse 12 refers to believer’s who rule with Jesus forever.

Quote:

Daniel 7:14 (New International Version)
14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

This verse is prophecy about his second coming.

Quote:

Daniel 7:27 (New International Version)
27 Then the sovereignty, power and greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be handed over to the saints, the people of the Most High. His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him.'

Again, a prophecy of his second coming. See Revelation 19-22

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Isaiah 9:6 "6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

BenfromCanada wrote:
Hey, look, you pointed out another one! How could the government be on his shoulders if he wasn't a physical political leader?

He rules from Heaven. I spoke about this a bit above. God is not dead, he is in control of the entire world. Everything works out for his purpose and plan.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

I have no idea where to find it, could you copy/paste it here please?

BenfromCanada wrote:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/rook_hawkins/biblical_errancy/47

Here is a link that deals with this topic. Type in "contradictions" in the search feild and then You can click on the dozens of links to read the whole Questions and answers. And also, at the bottom, there are pages and pages to go through also.
The link only gives the first sentence or so of the article.

http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?61

Quote:

Echo wrote:

No contradiction at all. I assure you that it is your lack of scripture knowledge that is causing you so much trouble. We are solely saved by grace. That means obedience to the law is not a requirement to get into heaven as if our getting there is conditional on our obedience. Our getting there isn’t conditional on our obedience. Our getting there is solely the result of what Jesus did for us and in our place. It is this love of God that produces in us a desire to keep the very law that we have been freed from keeping. We Have a new heart that loves God. And anyone who loves God will want to do what pleases him. The message? The message is that we don’t do good works or obey to get into heaven, but rather, we do good works and obey because Heaven has been given to us as a gift.

BenfromCanada wrote:

I actually had a discussion about this with another theist here. And another theist told him "dude, Ben's right" (basically). You're going to have to scroll a bit, but here is the thread.

Is this specifically the post you are reffering to? (I put it in quotes below) Or is there more? I would like to save myself some reading if possible:

Quote:
Also, you claim that salvation is a free gift, according to Ephesians 2:8-9. Well, there are many parts of the bible that don't agree. Jeremiah 17:10, Matthew 5:20, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:41-46, John 5:29, Romans 2:6, II Corinthians 5:10, James 2:14 (probably my personal favourite for debunking this myth:"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?" I Peter 1:17, Revelation 2:23, ALL say that works are required. And that isn't all of them. I could have added others, but that's more than enough.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

It wasn’t that it took you 3 times for me to think it was a good question. I have no problem understanding what the Bible means when it uses this word because I understand the nature of God. You seem to be having much difficulty with the word by not understanding the different facets of its meaning and so for your sake, I think it was a good question. I wish I could answer it to your satisfaction but I don’t think you are willing to hear it even if I could answer it to your satisfaction. You seem to carry a lot of bitterness against God. What feeling of dislike would I have that demands action against my parents? If my parent asked me to do something illegal to help them out, I would refrain from doing it BECAUSE I love them. If I love them, I wouldn’t want to help them along to their own destruction and possible further consequence. Is not doing something an action? Yes it is. Give it some thought.

Ben from Canada wrote:
OK, so what illegal action were the parents of Jesus' followers doing?

Sinning.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

By the law, no one is righteous, we all sin.

BenfromCanada wrote:
By the Law, those who follow the law are righteous. If they make the sacrifices, their sin is gone.

There are two kinds of righteousness, mine and the righteousness I have by faith in Jesus. The first is imperfect this side of heaven, the second is perfect the moment I believed.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

BenfromCanada wrote:

Jesus has declared us righteous and this is not our own righteousness it is his gift to us.

So we are righteous. Even though it's not "our righteousness" it's still righteousness.

Yes. Jesus was perfectly righteous; he gave that righteousness to us like a robe to wear. Remember the passages about being dressed in white? So we become like snow covered dung. God only sees the snow. Jesus has made us perfect forever. Just as we have been declared perfect forever in his righteousness, we now desire to work on our own righteousness out of thanks. That perfection that Jesus gives us assures us the moment we believe, that we are going to heaven. So there is no fear.

Hebrews 10:14 “because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”

Notice in the above verse, we have been made perfect (past tense) and now that we are perfect forever in God’s eyes because of the righteousness Jesus gave us, now we work on our own righteousness just out of love and thanks. We know heaven is our home before we even begin working on our righteousness.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

So it is true. We are unrighteous by the law but righteous by faith. Phil 3:9 “and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.”
BenfromCanada wrote:
Still righteous, regardless of how it is. So, the parts that say "we aren't righteous" are wrong. So why are they in there?

I think I may have explained this more clearly above. There are two righteousness.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Doesn’t fit. What does “in the world” mean? It means we are in the world and we relate to and love others. What does “not of it” mean? We are in the world and relate to and love others but refrain from sinning as they do.
Ben from Canada wrote:
This doesn't make sense, and isn't implied.

Well maybe it’s not clear there but it is clear elsewhere in the Bible.
1 Corinthians 5:9 “9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.”

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Because not everyone sees themselves as sinners who will be condemned to Hell. The Pharisees are the prime example of this.
BenfromCanada wrote:
We can still see whether or not we fulfil the laws. The Pharisees did, so they'd be in heaven. Jesus broke them wilfully, he's in hell.

We cannot always see our sins. Sometimes we can obey God’s commands and do it with the wrong motive. God doesn’t look at the outward actions, he looks at the heart.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Seriously, you don’t come even close to fulfilling these prophecies. And this is just a drop in the bucket, there are around 300 prophecies of Jesus in the OT.

Benfromcanada wrote:

You were asked to give one that ONLY Jesus could fulfill. Please tell me where I don't fulfill one of those.

You have to take all the prophecies as a whole. If you don’t then sure, some men could fulfill them. But with all of them together, only God could fulfill them.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Do you understand why God allowed Job to go through that?

The best I can come up with is a combination of "showing Satan he wouldn't curse god for all that he was put through" and "shits and giggles".

The reason Job went through all that suffering is because He claimed that Job only served and loved God because it “pays” Job was a righteous man and because of it, he was blessed in many ways by God. So Satan says to God: if you take away your blessings from Job, then it will be proved that he is only righteous because it pays.

Quote:

I'll PM you a reply to the parts about my deconversion story. However, you did misread it.
Sorry if I misread it.

Quote:

To check your PMs, look to the left of the screen. Under the "Donations" field should be your screen name and a bunch of links. Between "my buddy list" and "my subscriptions" is "my inbox". When I send that message, it'll be there, and you can reply there. To send PMs without replying to a prior PM, you can either click "write to author" under any post by whomever you want to write, or click the username of that person and scroll down to "send private message".

Oops, I should have read your post before asking in this thread how to open a PM. Sorry.
I wanted to read the PM first. Thanks for the help!
I will give it a whirl and if I can’t get into it again, I will let you know.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

The Pope teaches doctrines contrary to scripture. In fact, the Papacy fits some of the descriptions of the antichrist.

BenfromCanada wrote:
The Pope is a dragon?

This is just symbolic. It helps us to grasp in a word picture, what he is like.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

The Bible explains why there are so many conflicting religions. All relgion outside of Christianty is mans attempt to reach up to God. Much like the tower of Babel. Christianity is God comming down to reach man.

BenfromCanada wrote:

I don't think religions that are named "Submission" (the literal translation for Islam) are about reaching up to god and becoming as god was (which is what the tower of Babel was about)

In a sense it is about climbing up to God by good works.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Not all religion is true relgion. Therefore where there is true religion, there will be false relgion. Where there is good, there will be evil also trying to make the good look evil. The Papacy? Fits the general descritption of the antichrist.

BenfromCanada wrote:
The Pope has seven heads and eats a baby that is born in the sky?

Baby born in the sky? Heh heh, Again, the Bible contains word pictures that help us understand. All this is symbolism and not to be taken literally.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Who are the Isrealites? Those who "believe"

No. The members of the tribes of Israel. Not necessarily those who are ethnically Jewish, as non-ethnic Jews can be accepted into the tribe, but members of the tribe. Former member that left for whatever reason? Not an Israelite. Not a member of the tribe, but believe in their deity? You're not an Israelite either.

Yes, actually every believer is symbolically and Isrealite. Revelation speaks about the 12 tribes of Isreal. 144,000 in each tribe. 12 being the number of “completeness” so it is symbolic of the complete number of believer’s. 12 squared is 144,000.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Yes, these have been fulfilled. The passages are speaking about a restored Jerusalem. When Jesus came, he restored truth which in reality is restoring Jerusalem (symbolic of true believer’s) The walls are symbolic of doctrine or truth that keeps the people safe from outside attacks from the enemy.
Ben from Canada
You can't get away with that. Answer the point.

It would take me several months if not longer just to show you how we conclude this.
When a person studies the word of God regularly, these things become more clear. If you did a study on the “walls” throughout the Bible, you could learn how it is often symbolic of protection of God’s people. And if you search on the topic of “truth” there you will learn that truth protects us.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

The passages are not talking about physical attraction. They are talking about spiritual attraction.

Isaiah 53
1 Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him

Echo wrote:

The unbelieving world looks at the outward. What attracts the unbelieving world? Wealth, strength,power, position, etc someone who will fight.

BenfromCanada wrote:
Which is exactly why over 2/3 of the entire world believes in a religion that goes against all of that? Source. The following religions encourage charity, humility, peace, etc. (as well as violence and wealth and strength and such, in at least a few cases): Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Spiritism, Judaism, Baha'i, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Neo-Paganism, Unitarian-Universalism, Rastafari. Not sure about Shinto, Tenrikyo and Cao Dai. The rest either don't speak on them, aren't really "for" them or are an inaccurate grouping of religions based on flimsy pretenses.

The exception is TRUE Christianity. True Christianity does not encourage violence, wealth or strength. True Christianity encourages love, even to our enemies, it encourages turning the other cheek, not taking revenge, not even returning insult for an insult. It teaches us that we are weak and not strong. I believe you have been a victim of a false church or hypocrites if you think True Christianity is what you are claiming. Try a WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) church next time. There you will see what I have been saying.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Jesus was poor, humble, a servant who forgave. And the world does not find that attractive.

BenfromCanada wrote:
Remember those religions I just listed? Subtract Rastafari, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Neo-Paganism and you have the list of religions that claim to either have Jesus as a prophet, or really respect and love him. (Actually, I think the Zoroastians might like Jesus...)

Yes, and what a testimony to the truth that he actually existed! They don’t believe he was God so they are considered unbelievers. So that is a testimony of his true existence from outside the fold, so to speak.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Remember that there are around 300 prophecies in the OT, not just these ones. But if we take a look at Isaiah, Jesus was despised and rejected by men even though he never sinned.

Benfromcanada wrote:
WHAT? Jesus wasn't in Isaiah. That was the Messiah, and that was Isaiah predicting the Messiah.

Jesus is the messiah. John 4:25 “The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” Messiah actually means “Christ”

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Especially note that he was pierced for our transgression.

BenfromCanada wrote:
So was I.

Pierced means crucified. He was pierced in his hands and feet.

Quote:
Echo wrote:

Because Jesus has obeyed them in our place, he has now declared us perfect forever. We are no longer under the law but under grace. The law was a babysitter to lead us to be justified in Christ.

BenfromCanada wrote:
Jesus himself denied this.

Where?

Quote:

Echo wrote:

The Bible says that God places everyone where they can find him if they seek him.

BenfromCanada wrote:
So placing them where there was no way of knowing that Jesus existed because there was no bible there, no one who had read or heard of the bible, and no one who spoke a language the bible had been translated into, can find him HOW?

By looking at all of creation, by looking at the awesome technology that goes into creating a human being. Nothing man has ever created compares with the human body.
All they would have to do is say: “God, if you exist, please help me to see that”

Quote:

Echo wrote:

First, we are not saved by our righteousness. Isaiah calls our righteousness “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6) How can a person have reserves about accepting eternal life as an absolutely free gift without cost? That would be like winning the lottery and refusing the money you won.

BenfromCanada wrote:
Click the link to the thread with tmajor. This has been debunked.

Is that the thread you gave a link to above?

Quote:

Echo wrote:

When we hear and understand the gospel, free will is restored.
BenfromCanada wrote:

Free will is nowhere in the bible. In fact, just the opposite, it is discouraged.

No it is not, free will (ability to choose God) is lost until God brings us into faith.)

Quote:

Echo wrote:

God must chase us and get us to hear it while we hate him. He has no easy job because we battle against him the whole way.
Ben from Canada wrote:
We don't battle "Him" we battle the (,,,) "His Followers" give us.

That is your mistake then, go to him for the truth. His word has it all.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Think of it this way. Someone told you about this really mean guy that is out to get you and harm you and hurt you and kill you. Naturally, you avoid the guy. What you didn’t know though was that the guy who told you that this other guy is nasty was actually lying to you. He just simply didn’t want you to get to know the guy because the guy was actually the nicest guy you ever could meet and would end up being your best friend! You didn’t have free will to accept this good guy that you were told was a bad guy. The reason is is because you believed the lie instead of getting to know the guy for yourself. So the guy must show you himself that he really is a good guy. Then you can make an informed decision wether or not to be his friend. Free will!
BenfromCanada wrote:
You had the "free will" to not believe the lie. Regardless, the nasty guy that was lied about here would have to actually proclaim that he did those things, and that if you didn't like him, he'd do worse to you, if your analogy was to work.

You seem to be believing all the lie’s about God as is very clear by our conversations.
That nasty guy (Satan) is a liar and a deceiver. Why would he have to proclaim anything that is true? Satan is the author of lie’s, there is no truth in him.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Jesus said: “forgive them for they know NOT what they do”
BenfromCanada wrote:
Speaking specifically, in context, about people who executed him. Why is this to be applied all over, especially since, under christianity, they did a GOOD thing by saving us from sin?

It is to be applied all over since we all crucified him because of our sins. They did NOT do a good thing, But God used it for good. There is a difference.

Quote:
Echo wrote:

But, it also is true that some of the letters might be perceived as threats when they are not really threats.
BenfromCanada wrote:
You can read many of them in the forums. They have 2 forums for letters received from theists. There are many clear-cut threats.

I will take your word for it. My thoughts are that they are hypocrites (unbelievers). People who profess Jesus outwardly but really are not converted. Satan has a hayday using hypocrites to scare people off and he is quite successful at it.

Isaiah 1:18 " Come now, let us REASON together,"
says the LORD.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hi Ben, I tried to open your

Hi Ben, I tried to open your PM and I am not sure how to do that.

I get into my inbox and your PM is there.
If I click on your name, it brings up your profile.
The only other things to click on are as follows:

Delete
Write a new message
Empty Folder
New Folder

Help? heh heh

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: No, I am not a

Quote:

No, I am not a Catholic, I am Lutheran (WELS)

These are just a few of the many:

Purgatory is contrary to scripture. (Col 2:13; Heb 10:14 )
Salvation by faith and works is contrary to scripture (Rom 9:32: Eph 2:9)
Ministers forbidden to marry is contrary to scripture (1 Tim 4:3)
Asking people to abstain from certain foods in contrary to scripture (1 Tim 4:3)
Pope claims infallibility in matters of doctrine (2 Thess 2:4)
Pope stands between people and God (1 Tim 2:5)

Part 1 - Purgatory

Colossians 2:13 - "And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses" <- from where does it come out that purgatory is contrary to scripture in this particular verse?

Hebrews 10:14 - "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." <- again I ask, from where does it come out that purgatory is contrary to scripture in this particular verse?

Part 2 - Salvation

Romans 9:32 - "Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone" <- So salvation is not through works, that's for sure. This verse kind of shows that it is through faith. Should I pose the Easter Island dillema again?

Ephesians 2:9 - "Not of works, lest any man should boast." - So clearly it doesn't matter what you do.

These two, however, kind of contradict: John 5:29, Psalms 62:12, Jeremiah 17:10, Ezekiel 18:27, Matthew 16:27, Matthew 25:34-36, Romans 2:6 (hehe, contradicts in the same book), Romans 2:13, 2 Corinthians 5:10, 2 Corinthians 11:15, 1 Peter 1:17, Apocalypse 2:23, Apocalypse 20:12-13, Luke 18:18-22, Apocalypse 22:14, Matthew 12:27, so I guess that your position is quite a minority there...

Part 3 - Ministers and marriage

1 Timothy 4:3-4 - "Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth / For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving" <- Actually, you've got a point on this one, I too have been wondering why priests must not marry. Kind of contradicts Paul's views in 1 Corinthians 7:1 and 7:7-8.

Part 4 - Food

1 Timothy 4:3-4 - (pasted above) <- It kind of contradicts Genesis 1:29, Proverbs 23:20, Daniel 1:8, Romans 14:21, Deuteronomy 14:7-8, Leviticus 11:2-4. Even if one may argue that those laws were the "old laws", why the sudden change of heart on God's behalf?

Part 5 - The Pope

1 Timothy 2:5 - "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" <- in that case just about all priests, ministers or reverends are kind of useless, don't you think ?

2 Thessalonians 2:4 - "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God" <- the Pope never claimed that, and it doesn't have any connection to infallibility

Quote:
A Muslim will say they are the one true religion. So a comparison of the two different messages, reveals which one is actually true.

I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation!

Quote:
God is a God of love, God IS LOVE.
That means he must love us first before we can love him.
In the Bible, God has loved us first. He gave us the gift of eternal life in heaven. When we believe this message, we THEN do good works out of thanks for that love and gift.
The God of the Bible loves us unconditionally.

The God of the Bible is also a god of hatred. That means he must hate us first before we can hate him. He hated us first. He gave us the punishment of eternal damnation in Hell. When we don't hear his message, and obviously cannot believe, THEN do whatever else you wish, for it's useless anyway. The God of the Bible hates us unconditionally.

Quote:
In Islam, you don’t get to heaven until you have first done good works to prove your love to God. So in other words, you must love God first before he will give you eternal life in Heaven. The God of Islam and every other religion, loves us conditionally.

Well, at least for Islam, you know for sure what you have to do. For Christianity, it's all a big mumbo-jumbo emo-themed bullshit that nobody will ever care/know to explain in full, so that everyone can understand.

Needless to say, my eagerness was severely disappointed.

Quote:
You have to take all the prophecies together as a whole. Any person could fulfill a prophecy here or a prophecy there. But Only Jesus (God) could fulfill them all.

Ben kind of fulfills those that you cared to quote. Will you go for the others? Besides, he already proved to you that at least the one prophecy about appearance he did NOT fulfill, to our knowledge. Also, the one about the name, which I will take time to seek later, he didn't fulfill either, and there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Quote:
Sorry again, I can’t find the passage back that we were referring to. Could you perhaps forward more info in your posts so that I don’t have to go back and read all the old posts trying to find the original passage? I am so busy this time of year and just don’t have the time to keep going through all the old posts. My apologies to you. I would love to take the time to answer all your concerns and questions and would greatly appreciate your help to bring the passage we are talking about, forward in your posts. My memory isn’t all that good.

I have no idea how you use your quoting to respond, really. Nevermind this, forget it...

Quote:
Well if we think it is only about physical attraction (good looks) we are being very shallow, don’t you think?

Respond to Ben on this one.

Quote:
You misunderstood me I think. Crucifixion wasn’t done in the days of prophecy. It was however done in the days of Jesus.

It's possible. Can't remember how the crucifiction entered the talk anyway.

Quote:
You are correct, we will never be perfect in our own righteousness this side of Heaven. However, Jesus gives us his righteousness. We are made perfect forever the moment we believe. It is this perfection with which we stand in the judgment and that is why we are assured we will get into heaven and we have that assurance the moment we believe.
So even though we are imperfect, God always sees the righteousness of Jesus when he looks at us.
Take a look at Hebrews 10:14 below. There is says we have (past tense) been made perfect forever. And there it also says that we are being made Holy.

Hebrews 10:14 “because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”

Jesus obeyed the laws away, he nailed the law to the cross.
Romans 6:14 “For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.”

The woman offered up sacrifices for sin offerings. Jesus is now our sin offering. The sacrifice was a shadow of the reality found in Christ.

So, if God sees the perfection of Jesus in us, then why the heck are we threatened with Hell? (I've got the feeling we're going to go circular here)

Quote:
It is not false. All a person needs to do is look at the universe, the stars, the natural world, look at humans and then ask God that if he exists, they want to know. God does the rest.

Well, here we got circular. Think, dude, that's why your head is there. A pre-1942 American means a native amerindian BEFORE Columbus set out to "discover" the Americas. Therefore, there was NO Christianity around there AT ALL. If Winettou would have looked back then at the stars, the natural world, he would have danced around the fire chanting in the name of Manitou. The ones in the Meexican area wouldn't even do that, they would just sit by, smmoking a peyota. So... you said: "The Bible says that God places everyone where they can find him if they seek him.", and I say: "Clearly this is false, because that's just one example in which people DIDN'T find God." As amazing as it may seem to you, do know that not all people are either Christian or Atheists.

Quote:
Well the fault is with the people, not God. There are hypocrites in every church. Never base your opinion of a religion on people, base it on what they teach. Base it on the Bible. If you were a football fan, would you refrain from going to a football game because their were people there who couldn’t care less about football but just went there to party? No, you would still go.

I base my opinion not on what people TEACH, but on what they DO. Because all Christians teach the Bible and Jesus, but none of them actually ACT on them.

Quote:
He is omnipotent. He has done more than solve the problem with a thought. He died for you on the cross leaving behind his word which testifies of what he did and all the miracles he performed. But people still refuse to believe.

Actually, he did a lot LESS with that. Jesus actually allowed Thomas to touch him, and see that he is he, and njot a ghost or apparition. He actually knew Jesus, he actually touched him. Why can't I have the same first-hand evidence? What's my fault that I wasn't born in Jerusalem around 6 c.e. ?

If God, however, had imprinted himself in the minds of ALL people, the consciousness of God being sent down generation by generation, that problem would have been easily solved. But nooooooooo... God had to sacrifice himself to himself...

Quote:
Sorry about that. I didn’t explain that very well. We have free will in the sense that God gave us a conscience and we can use it. We can do good or evil. But all the good or evil we do is still considered evil without faith in God. We call that kind of good: “civic righteousness” It benefits society but the motives are always wrong thus making those good works filthy rags as Isaiah put it. But we don’t have the free will to choose God. God must come to us first, God must choose us first. Prior to conversion, we all hate God.

Whoa ! Hold on there, buster. Let me get this straight. We don't have the free will to choose God? God must choose us first?

If this is so, then I have only God to blame for me being an atheist. God didn't choose me, and I can't choose him because I have no free will to choose him. So practically, my "salvation through faith" depends on God's will entirely. So practically, if God doesn't want me to reveal himself to me, then I will be forever evil and I will burn in Hell, and, furthermore, I won't be able to do any darned thing about it.

Is that really what you wanted to say? I'll give you a chance to reconsider. Because if it is, then you've seriously and finally flushed the toilet on God's omnibenevolence, complete love and righteousness. Also, you've contradicted the first few paragraphs  of your response instantly.

Quote:
Are you speaking about the people in your area who profess to be Christian but are not? If so, they could be hypocrites or they could be in a false church.

How do I know which Church is the right one? There's no difference between them, ecept for naming and culture. You say that your god is a god of love, but, frankly, I can't see that he is, considering all he's done and all he does. I'd rather choose Buddha instead. Holy books? They all have them. Fanatics? All of them have them.

What's the difference? What gives you a clue that your religion is true?

Quote:
This is not how the Bible teaches us to treat anyone, even our enemy. God wants us to love our enemy and do good to those who hate us. I think the mail you got was a hypocrite (unbeliever).

Actually, I happen to know the guy, he's a fanatic.

Quote:
Again, don’t base your opinions of God on people, base your opinion of God on Jesus. Don’t reject Jesus because Satan is using people who profess to be Christian but are not. That is exactly what Satan wants to accomplish through those people.

It works in a reverse logic as well. Do not forget that it is you, the Lutherans, who strayed from the official path in the Middle Ages.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:
nonbobblehead wrote:

Comedy is fun to read guys (or whatever).

I realize that facts are hard to satire and you did at least attempt it.

No go on children. Go bash a religion you actually can.

Hinduism is silly. Great place for your irrational fodder to be found in abundance.

What's your problem, son?

You made a claim that everything in the new testament is real because you discovered that the writers mentioned actual people. You were shown that other works of fiction have also used real people and places to add color to their stories. Using your logic, Jesus and Spiderman are real.

If your logic seems faulty when it is used against you, maybe it was faulty the first time around.   

This is why I urge my friends and other Christians, to not avoid you non-godians. That jcgadfly, is logic from you?

You look very much like a ape. Can you be hunted, shot and have your remains sold? No you cannot.

Fiction is fiction and presented as fiction. Spiderman is a modern comic book written as fiction for the enjoyment of the readers of fantasy. Peter Parker can be disproved from the writings about Peter Parker.

The New Testament was written painstakingly as a history book and a reporting of actual events that actually happened. It has been proven to be accurate in that endeavor.

Now, go back to watching "Real World" on MTV. You know the "real world" where there is a camera crew following a household of non-related and physically attractive youth trying to figure out this f---ed up "actual" real world.

It's intereesting how the Apostle Paul represents 2007 so accurately from his view in first century Roman life though.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

A contradiction, or a fact?

0 x 0 = Atheism. Something from nothing? Ahhh no.
And Karl, religion is not the opiate of the people, opium is. Visit any modern city in the western world and see.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: God controls

Quote:
God controls government (kings) He uses evil Kings and Righteous Kings. All serve God wether the are good or evil. God uses all we do in this world to his own ends.
For example. Jesus was crucified and God used that evil for his good purposes.
You assume this verse means a physical visible King but it doesn’t say that.

So Osama will not burn in Hell, for it wasn't him that did anything, it was God using him as a tool...

You sure you don't want to reconsider that?

Quote:
Note that the verses speak of forever and ever. Physically, it is impossible for any man to rule forever and ever because we all die. So this isn’t talking about a physical visible Jesus . Verse 11 refers to Jesus. Verse 12 refers to believer’s who rule with Jesus forever.

Mind gymnastics. I'd rather think they were referring to a metaphorical Jesus. Paul seems to agree with that, anyway.

Quote:
He rules from Heaven. I spoke about this a bit above. God is not dead, he is in control of the entire world. Everything works out for his purpose and plan.

If everything works out for his purpose and plan, if that plan includes you being a new Hitler and obviously going to hell for that, there wouldn't be anything you could do about it, right?

Really, honestly, again I say, are you 100% sure you don't want to reconsider that?

Quote:
Yes. Jesus was perfectly righteous; he gave that righteousness to us like a robe to wear. Remember the passages about being dressed in white? So we become like snow covered dung. God only sees the snow. Jesus has made us perfect forever. Just as we have been declared perfect forever in his righteousness, we now desire to work on our own righteousness out of thanks. That perfection that Jesus gives us assures us the moment we believe, that we are going to heaven. So there is no fear.

Well... we shouldn't fear Hell then, should we?

Quote:
We cannot always see our sins. Sometimes we can obey God’s commands and do it with the wrong motive. God doesn’t look at the outward actions, he looks at the heart.

So you're suggesting that the Unabomber would find himself in Heaven? He actually believed he did the right thing. In his heart, he was innocent and pure. It was only in the head that he was fucking crazy. I really wouldn't like to bump into him when going to get my harp tuned...

Quote:
The reason Job went through all that suffering is because He claimed that Job only served and loved God because it “pays” Job was a righteous man and because of it, he was blessed in many ways by God. So Satan says to God: if you take away your blessings from Job, then it will be proved that he is only righteous because it pays.

OK, so in other words, Job suffered just so that God and Satan can enjoy their little wager... ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME ???

Quote:
Yes, actually every believer is symbolically and Isrealite. Revelation speaks about the 12 tribes of Isreal. 144,000 in each tribe. 12 being the number of “completeness” so it is symbolic of the complete number of believer’s. 12 squared is 144,000.

Well, actually, 12 squared is only 144 and 144,000 is not a natural square, but we've got your point Smiling

If I correctly recall, 10 of the 12 Israeli tribes were squashed by Hadrian's legions... That would have no influence, would it?

Quote:
It would take me several months if not longer just to show you how we conclude this.
When a person studies the word of God regularly, these things become more clear. If you did a study on the “walls” throughout the Bible, you could learn how it is often symbolic of protection of God’s people. And if you search on the topic of “truth” there you will learn that truth protects us.

Of course it does. That's why God lies and deceives, and that's why Adam and Eve weren't allowed to know the TRUTH about good and evil.

Care to reconsider that, please ?

Quote:
The exception is TRUE Christianity. True Christianity does not encourage violence, wealth or strength. True Christianity encourages love, even to our enemies, it encourages turning the other cheek, not taking revenge, not even returning insult for an insult. It teaches us that we are weak and not strong. I believe you have been a victim of a false church or hypocrites if you think True Christianity is what you are claiming. Try a WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) church next time. There you will see what I have been saying.

Am I allowed to kick people around in there?

Seriously, if the "true christianity" would preach that, then all the atrocities and bullshit rules, and threats of Hell and damnation from the Bible and from doctrine would be put down forever. Which is not the case. So spare us the bullshit, we can read through the lines, it seems, far better than you.

Quote:
Yes, and what a testimony to the truth that he actually existed! They don’t believe he was God so they are considered unbelievers. So that is a testimony of his true existence from outside the fold, so to speak.

I couldn't care less if he actually existed or not. He might have. All I care about is whether he was a god and did those miracles. And here you're out of luck, because, except for the 4 evangelists (funny that the others don't quite remember themselves, ether) NOBODY ELSE remembers the miracles.

Quote:
Jesus is the messiah. John 4:25 “The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” Messiah actually means “Christ”

Jesus never sinned, but he:

- broke the 10 commandments (not all, but most)

- cursed a fig tree for not having figs out of season

- infected some innocent pigs with demons

...and many more to come, if you want.

Thumbs up, rummy.

Quote:

That could also mean that he was shot with arrows. Anyway, this is unimportant.

Quote:
By looking at all of creation, by looking at the awesome technology that goes into creating a human being. Nothing man has ever created compares with the human body.
All they would have to do is say: “God, if you exist, please help me to see that”

...and nothing happens... for things that are at rest tend to remain at rest.

Quote:

Allow me to say "merci, mais non!" on that.

Quote:
It is to be applied all over since we all crucified him because of our sins. They did NOT do a good thing, But God used it for good. There is a difference.

You, like all theists, generalize too much! I did NOT crucify him, I wasn't there, I didn't ask for his sacrifice, and I didn't have any option on the matter. So stop it.

Quote:
Satan has a hayday using hypocrites to scare people off and he is quite successful at it.

Stop. Look. Listen. Can you hear the sound of self-ownage?

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada,nonbobblehead

BenfromCanada,

nonbobblehead wrote:

Some other sets of three "proving" Christianity.

Rome really existed. Judea really existed. Nero really existed.

Pilate really existed.

New Testament historicity.

nonbobblehead wrote:

Comedy is fun to read guys (or whatever).

I realize that facts are hard to satire and you did at least attempt it.

No go on children. Go bash a religion you actually can.

Hinduism is silly. Great place for your irrational fodder to be found in abundance.

Quote:
OK, seriously, get the fuck out. Not even going to say "tits or gtfo" because I want you out of the thread. You come in and try to discuss with me. I try to discuss with you. That was one post. You made another big, long post that I replied to, as did rigor. However, neither of us got a reply to that, and I got no reply to my initial reply to your reply to my reply to VenomFangX. (whew!) Every other one you've made has been useless trollery. If you really want to discuss and not sermonize, then fine. Reply to the rest of what was said to you. If you keep posting this bullshit, I will ask a mod to remove any further posts. At least Echo has offered discussion, and I must commend him/her for trying. You, on the other hand, are being a useless twatwaffle.

You are right. And I apologize. I don't have the time to reply quickly. I am a father and I work.

I always get caught up in fighting bullies (have since school days), as I see it, the Atheists-Freethinkers-Skeptics, are just that.

But why is it that "you" atheists think that the people that "choose" Christianity did not do so after viewing all of the evidence for and against it?

Why are you smart and Christians stupid?

It is a better time in the 21st century to see what the Apostles were presenting is an absolute truth, than in any time in history (except maybe the ressurrection).

Our modern world looks more like the Book of Romans (and James), then it does The Origon of Species.

"I" am not very Christ like. The word "Christian" means "Christ like." Or little Christian. I have a hard time with being slapped and not slapping back. The snide, haughty, elitist diatribe of the oh-so typical atheist/freethinker/skeptic, is so unimmpressive most of the time, I get irritated and give them what they give.

Again, I apologize.

The New Testament is an impressive collections of writings. They certainly seem supernatural to me. As does Jesus. I have never said it was not OK to be an atheist, I just hold to the fact that it is emotionalism knee-jerk hedocism that drives it on 9 times out of ten. Once you become a parent, you see the "why" of the childish behavior inherent in the human being. I see atheists as children that never grew out of their selfishness to embrace the fact that all of life is not just an accident to excuse away the desire to get away with things.

Again. I'll apologize for being rude to you, and that's all. I will not apolgize for the rational belief that we are not accidents created by other random accidents. We are heading in an orderly direction for "some" reason or another.

0 x 0 = Atheism. Something from nothing? Ahhh no.
And Karl, religion is not the opiate of the people, opium is. Visit any modern city in the western world and see.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: This is why I urge

Quote:
This is why I urge my friends and other Christians, to not avoid you non-godians. That jcgadfly, is logic from you?

OK, I did a little satire, only trying to continue what you started. I thought you had that intention in mind as well. jcgadfly pushed on, and then you popped open. What are we to understand from here? That you: a) don't realize that you're not mocked or b) actually believe that which we wrongly believed you are making fun of. In the first case, I'd advise you to chill, nobody has any ill will against you. In the second case, you'd be pathetic.

Quote:
You look very much like a ape. Can you be hunted, shot and have your remains sold? No you cannot.

Well, technically speaking, you can. What's to stop anyone from doing that?

Quote:
Fiction is fiction and presented as fiction. Spiderman is a modern comic book written as fiction for the enjoyment of the readers of fantasy. Peter Parker can be disproved from the writings about Peter Parker.

Yes, that is so.

Quote:
The New Testament was written painstakingly as a history book and a reporting of actual events that actually happened. It has been proven to be accurate in that endeavor.

And how do you know that the New Testament's purpose was that? How do you know precisely? Do not forget that the New Testament (the whole Bible actually) is nothing but a collection of different writings by different authors, hand-picked by the councils at Nicaea. How do you know that Revelations, for instance, wasn't meant to be a fairy-tale?

And it's been proven shitty in that attempt, actually. Yes, it does have some historical truth in it, but that's where it kind of stops. Rook, if you're reading this, please be a good historian and list all the historical inaccuracies for this one.

Quote:
It's intereesting how the Apostle Paul represents 2007 so accurately from his view in first century Roman life though.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

A contradiction, or a fact?

What can I say, big news! I could have told you that about 3000 years before the world was supposedly formed, according to the young-eartherns... Probably I'd be sipping some newly-brewed beer with Hammurabbi when I'd be saying that...

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You are right. And

Quote:

You are right. And I apologize. I don't have the time to reply quickly. I am a father and I work.

I always get caught up in fighting bullies (have since school days), as I see it, the Atheists-Freethinkers-Skeptics, are just that.

But why is it that "you" atheists think that the people that "choose" Christianity did not do so after viewing all of the evidence for and against it?

It is a better time in the 21st century to see what the Apostles were presenting is an absolute truth, than in any time in history (except maybe the ressurrection).

Our modern world looks more like the Book of Romans (and James), then it does The Origon of Species.

"I" am not very Christ like. The word "Christian" means "Christ like." Or little Christian. I have a hard time with being slapped and not slapping back. The snide, haughty, elitist diatribe of the oh-so typical atheist/freethinker/skeptic, is so unimmpressive most of the time, I get irritated and give them what they give.

Again, I apologize.

The New Testament is an impressive collections of writings. They certainly seem supernatural to me. As does Jesus. I have never said it was not OK to be an atheist, I just hold to the fact that it is emotionalism knee-jerk hedocism that drives it on 9 times out of ten. Once you become a parent, you see the "why" of the childish behavior inherent in the human being. I see atheists as children that never grew out of their selfishness to embrace the fact that all of life is not just an accident to excuse away the desire to get away with things.

Again. I'll apologize for being rude to you, and that's all. I will not apolgize for the rational belief that we are not accidents created by other random accidents. We are heading in an orderly direction for "some" reason or another.

I, for one, being the original one to reply to your post in satire, never for one moment thought that you weren't having a satirical tone yourself. So, through your reactions, you've just made a complete fool of yourself in my eyes.

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RogormortisQuote:Part 1

Rogormortis

Quote:

Part 1 - Purgatory

Colossians 2:13 - "And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses" <- from where does it come out that purgatory is contrary to scripture in this particular verse?

Hebrews 10:14 - "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." <- again I ask, from where does it come out that purgatory is contrary to scripture in this particular verse?

Colossians says we have been forgiven of all our trespasses. Purgatory is a place where people go to be perfected, a place of pain, a place where our sinfulness is put to death. If we are forgiven, we don’t need to be perfected, God has already covered over all our sins. Hebrews also says that we have already been perfected therefore it contradicts a purgatory in which we get perfected.

Quote:

Part 2 - Salvation

Romans 9:32 - "Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone" <- So salvation is not through works, that's for sure. This verse kind of shows that it is through faith. Should I pose the Easter Island dillema again?

Ephesians 2:9 - "Not of works, lest any man should boast." - So clearly it doesn't matter what you do.

These two, however, kind of contradict: John 5:29, Psalms 62:12, Jeremiah 17:10, Ezekiel 18:27, Matthew 16:27, Matthew 25:34-36, Romans 2:6 (hehe, contradicts in the same book), Romans 2:13, 2 Corinthians 5:10, 2 Corinthians 11:15, 1 Peter 1:17, Apocalypse 2:23, Apocalypse 20:12-13, Luke 18:18-22, Apocalypse 22:14, Matthew 12:27, so I guess that your position is quite a minority there...

I don’t know what you are referring to when you say “the easter Island dilemma”?

You asked if it doesn’t matter what you do. What I do does not matter or add to my salvation. I gain salvation first, through Jesus alone, while in my sinful state, doing nothing good at all. However, once I am saved and have that security that heaven IS my home based on the merits of Jesus alone, once I know Salvation is mine already, God shows me how much he loves me in this and God puts in me a new heart that desires to live a life pleasing to him. What God has done for us changes our heart about God and we fall in love with him. When you fall in love with someone, you naturally then want to do things that please them for no reason other than love.

John 5:29 does not contradict at all. When Salvation is given to you as a free gift, and you love yourself enough to accept it and see God’s love in it, you will want to show that you love God. It is a natural thing. What God has done for you is he has adopted you as his son even while you are dead in trespasses and sin. He adopted all of us in this condition.
Does that not speak of how much he truly loves you? If you fight against it, you are saying you don’t want to be adopted, you don’t want to be a part of his family. That is your choice. God didn’t make it. God is choosing you, he doesn’t want to harm you, he wants to prosper you and give you a hope and a future! He invites you to be in his permanent family. And once you are in it, he then helps you all along life’s path to make you more and more Holy, but because you believe in his great love for you, you desire that also.

Psalm 62:12 No contradiction. Rewards are from within the kingdom of heaven. Heaven itself is not the reward. 1 Corinthians 3:14-16 “14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”
Heaven is already given to us the moment we believe.

Jeremiah 17:10 No contradictions here either. This is much the same as above. However to those who reject God in unbelief, Hell is their reward.

Ezekiel 18:27, Again, this doesn’t contradict. If you are on death row in prison for a crime you committed and someone comes along and sits in the chair in your place so that you are free to go. Would you continue on in the life that got you there in the first place and then wind up on death row again? Or would you do a 180 and head in a better direction in your life?

Matthew 16:27, Same as the above

Matthew 25:34-36, Again, no contradiction. Naturally believer’s will desire to do good things, not to get into heaven, but rather, because they have been given heaven.

Romans 2:6 , Again, think of marriage, generally if you love someone, you will try to show that. If we love God, we will try to show that by how we live. But the marriage was in place first and then came the marriage relationship. Salvation comes first, then comes our relationship.

Romans 2:13, Taken out of context. Read Romans 3:9-20 which show the point Paul was trying to make.

2 Corinthians 5:10, Again, believer’s receive rewards from within heaven. The reward is not heaven itself. Unbelievers receive what is due them which is Hell.

2 Corinthians 11:15, No contradiction. It is for unbelievers.

1 Peter 1:17, Nothing to do with salvation.

Apocalypse 2:23, Not in the Bible

Apocalypse 20:12-13, Not in the Bible

Luke 18:18-22, Taken out of context see verse 26 and 27.

Apocalypse 22:14, Not in the Bible

Matthew 12:27, no connection to salvation .

Quote:

Part 4 - Food

1 Timothy 4:3-4 - (pasted above) <- It kind of contradicts Genesis 1:29, Proverbs 23:20, Daniel 1:8, Romans 14:21, Deuteronomy 14:7-8, Leviticus 11:2-4. Even if one may argue that those laws were the "old laws", why the sudden change of heart on God's behalf?

These don’t contradict either. We can drink alcohol; we just don’t want to get drunk.
Eating meat is fine, just not too much meat. (God knew in those days what we now know, and that is that some meat is healthy and too much meat is not)
We would refrain from eating things in front of others such as the Jews because it might disturb their conscience, but we still can eat those things, just not while we are in the presence of the Jews. For example, we can drink alcohol but if we were in the presence of an recovering alcoholic struggling with temptation, we would not drink at all. We then give up our Christian freedom in the presence of that person for their sakes and benefit.
The OT food laws were for the Jews. The NT doesn’t require the food laws. Jesus said it is not what goes into the stomach that makes us unclean, it is what comes out of the heart. So in a sense, the old testament food laws could have been a shadow of the reality found in Christ.

Quote:

Part 5 - The Pope

1 Timothy 2:5 - "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" <- in that case just about all priests, ministers or reverends are kind of useless, don't you think ?

No, I don’t agree. Ministers can and do expound the word of God to us. We can learn much from them. But at the same time, they are not perfect, and so we need to be like the Bereans in scripture who searched the scripture daily to see if what Paul said was true. Thus, the word of God takes first place over and above Ministers.
The Papacy on the other hand claims infallibility in matters of doctrine. Therefore you must believe what they teach without questioning it. If the Pope is infallible, he is putting himself in place of God for only God is infallible. What does the Bible say about the antichrist?....it says: “he sets himself up in God’s temple, claiming himself to be God”
The Papacy calls itself : “the vicar of Christ” Do you know what “vicar” means? It means “anti”. Therefore this statement “the vicar of Christ” means “ antichrist”

Quote:

2 Thessalonians 2:4 - "Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God" <- the Pope never claimed that, and it doesn't have any connection to infallibility

The Pope doesn’t claim sinless perfection but he does claim infallibility in matters of doctrine.

Quote:

The God of the Bible is also a god of hatred. That means he must hate us first before we can hate him. He hated us first. He gave us the punishment of eternal damnation in Hell. When we don't hear his message, and obviously cannot believe, THEN do whatever else you wish, for it's useless anyway. The God of the Bible hates us unconditionally.

Boy you sure have believed a lot of Satan’s lies.

Quote:

Well, at least for Islam, you know for sure what you have to do. For Christianity, it's all a big mumbo-jumbo emo-themed bullshit that nobody will ever care/know to explain in full, so that everyone can understand.

You have just been a victim of false teaching is all. In Christianity, all you have to do is believe that Jesus has already given you the gift of eternal life in heaven even while we were yet wicked. That’s it!
Like I said before, you have just won the lottery, Jesus bought you the ticket and you can know you are going to heaven. That is the prize! Believe it and it is yours! Not hard at all!

Quote:

So, if God sees the perfection of Jesus in us, then why the heck are we threatened with Hell? (I've got the feeling we're going to go circular here)

Like I said above, all you have to do to go to heaven and avoid Hell is believe that Jesus has given it to you. Not hard. Hell threats are for those who reject belief in this message.
Am I worried about Hell? No, not at all, it is all in the past. For there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)

Quote:

I base my opinion not on what people TEACH, but on what they DO. Because all Christians teach the Bible and Jesus, but none of them actually ACT on them.
Yes, I see that. That is why you are having so much difficulty with God. That is your mistake. But it is not true that NONE of them act on it. So sorry you just haven’t met the ones who do.

Quote:

Actually, he did a lot LESS with that. Jesus actually allowed Thomas to touch him, and see that he is he, and njot a ghost or apparition. He actually knew Jesus, he actually touched him. Why can't I have the same first-hand evidence? What's my fault that I wasn't born in Jerusalem around 6 c.e. ?

You have better evidence than did Thomas. We now have the completed word of God.
If you would just open your mind to finding truth in it instead of battling against it, I think you would be amazed!

Quote:

Whoa ! Hold on there, buster. Let me get this straight. We don't have the free will to choose God? God must choose us first?

If this is so, then I have only God to blame for me being an atheist. God didn't choose me, and I can't choose him because I have no free will to choose him. So practically, my "salvation through faith" depends on God's will entirely. So practically, if God doesn't want me to reveal himself to me, then I will be forever evil and I will burn in Hell, and, furthermore, I won't be able to do any darned thing about it.

Is that really what you wanted to say? I'll give you a chance to reconsider. Because if it is, then you've seriously and finally flushed the toilet on God's omnibenevolence, complete love and righteousness. Also, you've contradicted the first few paragraphs of your response instantly.

Yes, God must choose you first. God is a gentleman, he does not force. He perhaps is choosing you through me right now. Will you fight it or listen? If you fight it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Jesus said: “ oh how I longed to gather them together as a hen gathers her chicks but they were not willing”

Quote:

How do I know which Church is the right one? There's no difference between them, ecept for naming and culture. You say that your god is a god of love, but, frankly, I can't see that he is, considering all he's done and all he does. I'd rather choose Buddha instead. Holy books? They all have them. Fanatics? All of them have them.

What's the difference? What gives you a clue that your religion is true?

There is a difference between church’s and the Bible warns us to watch out for wolves in sheep’s clothing, to watch our for false prophets. The Bible teaches us to search the scriptures every day to see if what someone is saying is true or not.
This religion is true because it has a God of love, first loving us by giving us the gift of eternal life in heaven without condition, while we were yet wicked. Love must be unconditional for it to be true love.

Quote:

It works in a reverse logic as well. Do not forget that it is you, the Lutherans, who strayed from the official path in the Middle Ages.

Strayed? Or stood up and apposed those who weren’t following the truth. Who tried to lead the Catholic Church to repentance and since the Catholic Church was unwilling to repent. I am getting the sense that you once were Catholic? I have a friend who was Catholic, he hates God too now. Why? Because he didn’t get into the Bible like Luther and challenge the teachings of the Catholic Church. My Lutheran Church teaches me to test them!

Quote:

So Osama will not burn in Hell, for it wasn't him that did anything, it was God using him as a tool...

You sure you don't want to reconsider that?

God allows people to do what they want, Osama alone holds guilt for all he does. However, God will take what Osama does and use if for good.

Quote:

If everything works out for his purpose and plan, if that plan includes you being a new Hitler and obviously going to hell for that, there wouldn't be anything you could do about it, right?

Really, honestly, again I say, are you 100% sure you don't want to reconsider that?

God doesn’t fatalistically determine the outcome of our life. Men themselves are responsible for the path they choose.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rogormortis wrote:
Well... we shouldn't fear Hell then, should we?

Believer’s don’t fear Hell. Unbeliever’s should fear Hell for it is the destiny they are choosing for themselves.

Quote:

So you're suggesting that the Unabomber would find himself in Heaven? He actually believed he did the right thing. In his heart, he was innocent and pure. It was only in the head that he was … crazy. I really wouldn't like to bump into him when going to get my harp tuned...

No, the Unabomber can not do anything to please God. The Bible says: “without faith it is impossible to please God” So only believer’s can have the proper motive.

Quote:

OK, so in other words, Job suffered just so that God and Satan can enjoy their little wager... ARE YOU … KIDDING ME ???

If Satan can prove that that chasm exists between the righteous and God, then mankind is without hope. But the titanic suffering that Job endured is a testimony that once you know the love of God, and understand it, nothing will keep you from wanting to be righteous. God’s love is greater than any suffering.

Quote:

Of course it does. That's why God lies and deceives, and that's why Adam and Eve weren't allowed to know the TRUTH about good and evil.

Correction. The tree of good and evil is not knowledge of good and evil as you think. It is choosing for ourselves what we think is good or evil.

Quote:

Am I allowed to kick people around in there?

Seriously, if the "true christianity" would preach that, then all the atrocities and bullshit rules, and threats of Hell and damnation from the Bible and from doctrine would be put down forever. Which is not the case. So spare us the …, we can read through the lines, it seems, far better than you.

Where there is truth from God, there you will also find Satan trying to destroy the work of God. And he has been quite successful at it in your case unfortunately.

Quote:

Jesus never sinned, but he:

- broke the 10 commandments (not all, but most)

- cursed a fig tree for not having figs out of season

- infected some innocent pigs with demons

...and many more to come, if you want.

Thumbs up, rummy.

Again, you have been misled and are believing lie’s about Jesus breaking the commandments. You have been fed lie’s about everything you believe about God. No wonder you hate God, the God you hate is not the one true God.

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Colossians says we

Quote:
Colossians says we have been forgiven of all our trespasses. Purgatory is a place where people go to be perfected, a place of pain, a place where our sinfulness is put to death. If we are forgiven, we don’t need to be perfected, God has already covered over all our sins. Hebrews also says that we have already been perfected therefore it contradicts a purgatory in which we get perfected.

Contradiction to purgatory in Colossians 2:13 is simply your imagination. The stretch is so wide, that I doubt many people will come to see your viewpoint and accept it. God forgave us of our tresspasses, but what are those "tresspasses" exactly? What are they referring to? Considering the historical situation, I'd rather go with literal tresspasses. Do remember that the book was aimed at certain very specific people.

Also, Hebrews state that those sanctified have been perfected, it doesn't say anything about anyone else. Have you been sanctified?

Quote:
I don’t know what you are referring to when you say “the easter Island dilemma”?

Oh, you are not familliar with that. This is it:

On Easter Island, a lot before the first Christians arrived there, lived a small group of people. They had their own gods, represented in the huge head-like statues on one side of the beach. They lived in peace and harmony, and were generally what one would call good people. Obviously, since there was no Christian there before, they have never ever heard of Yahweh the god or his son, Jesus Crhist, and, therefore, had no reason to pray to him or offer burnt offerings or build churches. They simply had no idea of his existence.

The question: Will these people go to Heaven or Hell ? (to ease up the thought: let us consider that these people do not sin any more or any different than a regular Christian who goes to Heaven, of course excepting for the agnosticism of God and Jesus part; practically, if the Easter-islander would be a Christian, he would surely go to Heaven)

Side question: Will an atheist go to Heaven or Hell?

Problems:

1) Atheist to hell, Easter-islander to heaven - The only difference between the atheist and the Easter-islander is that the atheist has heard of God. Therefore, since, if he hadn't heard of God, he would have gone to heaven, just like the Easter-islander, the ones that have told him about God are, in fact, responsible for his damnation (you included). Needless to say that in this case, spreading the word of God actually damns people where the messenger doesn't have the strength to convince

2) Atheist to heaven, Easter-islander to heaven - In this case, all atheist vs. theist disputes are useless

3) Atheist to hell, Easter-islander to hell - Nevermind the atheist, but the Easter-islander is going to hell simply because he hadn't the chance to HEAR about God. Practically, he's bound to hell no matter what he does, until the first one to tell him about God and Jesus crosses his path.

4) Atheist to heaven, Easter-islander to hell - I presume you agree that this would be an extremely spooky possibility that we can dismiss

So... which is the case, and why?

Quote:
You asked if it doesn’t matter what you do. What I do does not matter or add to my salvation. I gain salvation first, through Jesus alone, while in my sinful state, doing nothing good at all. However, once I am saved and have that security that heaven IS my home based on the merits of Jesus alone, once I know Salvation is mine already, God shows me how much he loves me in this and God puts in me a new heart that desires to live a life pleasing to him.

I doubt you will ever be able to prove that. Right now, I see many many Christians in jail.

Quote:
John 5:29 does not contradict at all. When Salvation is given to you as a free gift, and you love yourself enough to accept it and see God’s love in it, you will want to show that you love God. It is a natural thing. What God has done for you is he has adopted you as his son even while you are dead in trespasses and sin. He adopted all of us in this condition.
Does that not speak of how much he truly loves you? If you fight against it, you are saying you don’t want to be adopted, you don’t want to be a part of his family. That is your choice. God didn’t make it. God is choosing you, he doesn’t want to harm you, he wants to prosper you and give you a hope and a future! He invites you to be in his permanent family. And once you are in it, he then helps you all along life’s path to make you more and more Holy, but because you believe in his great love for you, you desire that also.

I have no idea of what John 5:29 you have, but mine is "And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation" - to me it's clear that salvation is conditioned on what you do, and the verse has apparently nothing to do with God chooseing you, or giving you a path, or any of the emotional off-topicness you have posted in your response.

Quote:
Psalm 62:12 No contradiction. Rewards are from within the kingdom of heaven. Heaven itself is not the reward. 1 Corinthians 3:14-16 “14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”

Oh, I agree with you, but the point wasn't where rewards are coming from or in what way. Furthermore, that verse has nothing to do with that either. My Psalms 62:12 is: "Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work." - "You render every man according to his work" - I don't know how simpler and clearer it could get.

How exactly did you get to rewards from Heaven and Heaven already being given us, etc. ? I see no connection whatsoever with the verses.

I won't even bother to answer the rest, because either we're using two completely different Bibles, or you have a serious problem relating to what is actually written there, or I have a serious problem understanding the connections you make. Just one side note: The verses from John's Apocalypse, which you said are not in the Bible, actually are in the Bible. In the Catholic, Reformed and JW Bibles, the books is called "Revelations". In the Orthodox, it's called John's Apocalypse.

Quote:
These don’t contradict either. We can drink alcohol; we just don’t want to get drunk.
Eating meat is fine, just not too much meat. (God knew in those days what we now know, and that is that some meat is healthy and too much meat is not)

Bollocks. That's simply your wishful thinking.

"Nevertheless, these shall ye not eat, of them that chew the cud or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel and the hare, and the coney; for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore, they are unclean unto you. And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass" - that's Deuteronomy. It states simply, clearly and explicitly. Thou shalt not eat! Imperative. NOWHERE does it say or even imply "thou shalt not eat in excess".

Quote:
We would refrain from eating things in front of others such as the Jews because it might disturb their conscience, but we still can eat those things, just not while we are in the presence of the Jews. For example, we can drink alcohol but if we were in the presence of an recovering alcoholic struggling with temptation, we would not drink at all. We then give up our Christian freedom in the presence of that person for their sakes and benefit.

Bollocks. That's simply your wishful thinking and weird interpretation again. Nowhere in the verses I showed you does it say that, or does it even assume that! Actually, I don't think that anywhere in the Bible, God actually cares about disturbing conscience.

Quote:
The OT food laws were for the Jews. The NT doesn’t require the food laws. Jesus said it is not what goes into the stomach that makes us unclean, it is what comes out of the heart. So in a sense, the old testament food laws could have been a shadow of the reality found in Christ.

OK, so the Jews cannot eat pork, but all the rest can. Nobody could eat pork before Jesus, now anyone can eat pork. Could you give me just one good reason for which I shouldn't treat these discriminating rules and these sudden changes of mood for the bollocks that they are?

Quote:
No, I don’t agree. Ministers can and do expound the word of God to us. We can learn much from them. But at the same time, they are not perfect, and so we need to be like the Bereans in scripture who searched the scripture daily to see if what Paul said was true. Thus, the word of God takes first place over and above Ministers.

You've got to be kidding me !

OK, question. Up to now, you should admit that what you are saying on matters of scripture is an interpretation. My example with the law in Deuteronomy should be clear. Who provides that interpretation for you? Do you do it? If so, how do you know it is right?

Quote:
The Papacy calls itself : “the vicar of Christ” Do you know what “vicar” means? It means “anti”. Therefore this statement “the vicar of Christ” means “ antichrist”

In what language? Do you happen to know that "Vicarivs Filii Dei", the Papal inscription, means "Representative of the Son of God", and not "Against the Son of God", in Latin? Considering that Latin was invented in Rome, I find the title quite normal.

"Pula" is a harmless word in Bulgarian. It's the name of a town. In Romanian, though, it means "penis".

"Hell" means, well, hell in English. But it's a harmless word in Finnish.

Do you want other examples of words that mean differently in different languages?

Quote:
The Pope doesn’t claim sinless perfection but he does claim infallibility in matters of doctrine.

So as I was saying, that verse you brought forth as an example has absolutely nothing to do with the matter.

Quote:

Answer this simply: are we threatened with Hell or not? If yes, all that I said stands.

Quote:
You have just been a victim of false teaching is all. In Christianity, all you have to do is believe that Jesus has already given you the gift of eternal life in heaven even while we were yet wicked. That’s it!

Is that it? And afterwards you can do whatever you want? You can bother hundreds of people and make the tragedy of them losing a son in war even worse than it is like the Phelpses ()hope I got the family name right, you know what I'm referring to)? You can rob hundreds of people of their money and make complete fools out of them live on TV by pretending to heal them, like Popoff?

I'm sorry, are you sure you don't want to reconsider that?

Quote:
Like I said above, all you have to do to go to heaven and avoid Hell is believe that Jesus has given it to you. Not hard. Hell threats are for those who reject belief in this message.

So, AGAIN I ask, if God sees the perfection in ALL of us, then why are we, the unbelievers (which, by the way, happen to be just about 90% of the human population with regards to your religion and branch), threatened with hell?

Quote:
Yes, I see that. That is why you are having so much difficulty with God. That is your mistake. But it is not true that NONE of them act on it. So sorry you just haven’t met the ones who do.

I'm curious when this God of yours will send me one. Because if he doesn't before I die, I'll be in hell when he could have helped me just a little more, in his unconditional, omnibenevolent, love.

Quote:
You have better evidence than did Thomas. We now have the completed word of God.
If you would just open your mind to finding truth in it instead of battling against it, I think you would be amazed!

Yes, we have the completed, logically incoherent, internally-contradicting, completely prone to just about any interpretation, dragged through dirt by all those who used it for their own purpose, completely uncertain because of the many denominations which all claim that they are "the true ones" with absolutely no different arguments from any of the others, hand-picked at the Councils of Nicaea by human hands, word of God.

Give me just one good reason why I should actually trust that word of God.

Quote:
This religion is true because it has a God of love, first loving us by giving us the gift of eternal life in heaven without condition, while we were yet wicked. Love must be unconditional for it to be true love.

He also gave us (at least some of us) the punishment of eternal torture in hell. If he gave us the gift of eternal life in Heaven without condition, then it means that we are unconditionally going there. So then Hell doesn't exist, or, if it does, it doesn't affect anyone.

Since you believe in Hell as our torture and punishment, you cannot say that God gave us Heaven unconditionally. It's as simple as that. If we are not simply inheriting it, whatever other actions we do, then it's not unconditional.

The native Amerindian religions should also be true, then, because their gods not only love their people, they actually protect them as spirits, and help thenm by sending rain or sun when needed, and give them the Indian version of bliss when they die, if they deserve it, and if they don't, they don't just cast them away into torture, but make them into something useful in which they can recover, so that once, in the future, they too will join the bliss. From this point of view, the native Indians' religion is a lot more "true" than yours.

Buddhism also teaches that nobody gets burnt for eternity. Their religion is a religion of rewards only, no punishments. Their religion is a religion of self-progress, through which society progresses as well. From this point of view, their religion is a lot more "true" than yours.

Hold on, I'll be right back with the rest.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Echo wrote:

Echo wrote:
God controls government (kings) He uses evil Kings and Righteous Kings. All serve God wether the are good or evil. God uses all we do in this world to his own ends. For example. Jesus was crucified and God used that evil for his good purposes. You assume this verse means a physical visible King but it doesn’t say that.
God always controlled the government, though. So, unless it was talking about a physical leader, there's no reason they'd word it like that. They'd say "All kings will continue to bow down before him" instead of "All kings will to bow down before him"
Echo wrote:
I will place on your throne- 12 if your sons keep my covenant
then their sons will sit
on your throne for ever and ever.

As you see, it wasn't referring to one person reigning forever.

Echo wrote:
Quote:
Daniel 7:14 (New International Version) 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
This verse is prophecy about his second coming. How do you know it was the second, not first, coming? There is no part of the Tanach, aka the Old Testament, which says there will be more than one coming of the Messiah.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Daniel 7:27 (New International Version) 27 Then the sovereignty, power and greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be handed over to the saints, the people of the Most High. His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him.'
Revelation 19:22 or some other chapter, verses 19-22? Regardless, this doesn't say there's going to be a second coming.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Isaiah 9:6 "6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. BenfromCanada wrote: Hey, look, you pointed out another one! How could the government be on his shoulders if he wasn't a physical political leader?
So why must it be written that he WILL rule, unless he'll start ruling in a literal, physical sense.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: I have no idea where to find it, could you copy/paste it here please? BenfromCanada wrote: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/rook_hawkins/biblical_errancy/47
Here is a link that deals with this topic. Type in "contradictions" in the search feild and then You can click on the dozens of links to read the whole Questions and answers. And also, at the bottom, there are pages and pages to go through also. The link only gives the first sentence or so of the article. http://www.wels.net/cgi-bin/site.pl?61
I'll look, but I highly doubt that it'll be convincing.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: No contradiction at all. I assure you that it is your lack of scripture knowledge that is causing you so much trouble. We are solely saved by grace. That means obedience to the law is not a requirement to get into heaven as if our getting there is conditional on our obedience. Our getting there isn’t conditional on our obedience. Our getting there is solely the result of what Jesus did for us and in our place. It is this love of God that produces in us a desire to keep the very law that we have been freed from keeping. We Have a new heart that loves God. And anyone who loves God will want to do what pleases him. The message? The message is that we don’t do good works or obey to get into heaven, but rather, we do good works and obey because Heaven has been given to us as a gift. BenfromCanada wrote: I actually had a discussion about this with another theist here. And another theist told him "dude, Ben's right" (basically). You're going to have to scroll a bit, but here is the thread.
Is this specifically the post you are reffering to? (I put it in quotes below) Or is there more? I would like to save myself some reading if possible:
Quote:
Also, you claim that salvation is a free gift, according to Ephesians 2:8-9. Well, there are many parts of the bible that don't agree. Jeremiah 17:10, Matthew 5:20, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:41-46, John 5:29, Romans 2:6, II Corinthians 5:10, James 2:14 (probably my personal favourite for debunking this myth:"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?" I Peter 1:17, Revelation 2:23, ALL say that works are required. And that isn't all of them. I could have added others, but that's more than enough.
Yes, essentially. Though some other theist went through some other verses I didn't pick up.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Ben from Canada wrote: OK, so what illegal action were the parents of Jesus' followers doing?
Sinning.
So you hate your parents for sinning? You sin too, you know.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: By the law, no one is righteous, we all sin. BenfromCanada wrote: By the Law, those who follow the law are righteous. If they make the sacrifices, their sin is gone.
There are two kinds of righteousness, mine and the righteousness I have by faith in Jesus. The first is imperfect this side of heaven, the second is perfect the moment I believed.
WTF? Simply believing in Jesus makes you good?
Echo wrote:
Quote:
BenfromCanada wrote: Jesus has declared us righteous and this is not our own righteousness it is his gift to us. So we are righteous. Even though it's not "our righteousness" it's still righteousness.
Yes. Jesus was perfectly righteous; he gave that righteousness to us like a robe to wear. Remember the passages about being dressed in white? So we become like snow covered dung. God only sees the snow. Jesus has made us perfect forever. Just as we have been declared perfect forever in his righteousness, we now desire to work on our own righteousness out of thanks. That perfection that Jesus gives us assures us the moment we believe, that we are going to heaven. So there is no fear. Hebrews 10:14 “because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.” Notice in the above verse, we have been made perfect (past tense) and now that we are perfect forever in God’s eyes because of the righteousness Jesus gave us, now we work on our own righteousness just out of love and thanks. We know heaven is our home before we even begin working on our righteousness.
So, why did you say that we're not really righteous? Righteousness is rightesousness.
Echo wrote:
Echo wrote: So it is true. We are unrighteous by the law but righteous by faith. Phil 3:9 “and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.” BenfromCanada wrote: Still righteous, regardless of how it is. So, the parts that say "we aren't righteous" are wrong. So why are they in there?
I think I may have explained this more clearly above. There are two righteousness.
I don't agree.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Doesn’t fit. What does “in the world” mean? It means we are in the world and we relate to and love others. What does “not of it” mean? We are in the world and relate to and love others but refrain from sinning as they do. Ben from Canada wrote: This doesn't make sense, and isn't implied.
Well maybe it’s not clear there but it is clear elsewhere in the Bible. 1 Corinthians 5:9 “9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.”
This specifically says that you are to avoid christians who are sexually immoral, greedy, etc. Not what "in the world yet not of it" implies.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Because not everyone sees themselves as sinners who will be condemned to Hell. The Pharisees are the prime example of this. BenfromCanada wrote: We can still see whether or not we fulfil the laws. The Pharisees did, so they'd be in heaven. Jesus broke them wilfully, he's in hell.
We can see what is sin when we see the law. We know what we've done. If we know what is sin, and know what we've done, we know that we've sinned.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Seriously, you don’t come even close to fulfilling these prophecies. And this is just a drop in the bucket, there are around 300 prophecies of Jesus in the OT. Benfromcanada wrote: You were asked to give one that ONLY Jesus could fulfill. Please tell me where I don't fulfill one of those.
You have to take all the prophecies as a whole. If you don’t then sure, some men could fulfill them. But with all of them together, only God could fulfill them.
Obviously I didn't fulfill the ones that had to do with ruling shit, or anything to do with Jerusalem, but all the ones you posted there (which you said were ONLY fulfillable by Jesus0
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Do you understand why God allowed Job to go through that? The best I can come up with is a combination of "showing Satan he wouldn't curse god for all that he was put through" and "shits and giggles".
Satan said that. Fine. But wouldn't god know that this wasn't true, WITHOUT torturing him so.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
I'll PM you a reply to the parts about my deconversion story. However, you did misread it.
Sorry if I misread it.
It's OK, but try to look into it a bit more, please.
Echo wrote:
Oops, I should have read your post before asking in this thread how to open a PM. Sorry. I wanted to read the PM first. Thanks for the help! I will give it a whirl and if I can’t get into it again, I will let you know.
Cool.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: The Pope teaches doctrines contrary to scripture. In fact, the Papacy fits some of the descriptions of the antichrist. BenfromCanada wrote: The Pope is a dragon?
Jokes. All jokes. Though Revelations has some fucked up shit. Seriously. I can't make hide nor hair of it.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: The Bible explains why there are so many conflicting religions. All relgion outside of Christianty is mans attempt to reach up to God. Much like the tower of Babel. Christianity is God comming down to reach man. BenfromCanada wrote: I don't think religions that are named "Submission" (the literal translation for Islam) are about reaching up to god and becoming as god was (which is what the tower of Babel was about)
In a sense it is about climbing up to God by good works.
No, actually, it was them literally (not figuratively) tryin to reach heaven. This was an explanation for the variety of languages in the world, nothing more.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Not all religion is true relgion. Therefore where there is true religion, there will be false relgion. Where there is good, there will be evil also trying to make the good look evil. The Papacy? Fits the general descritption of the antichrist. BenfromCanada wrote: The Pope has seven heads and eats a baby that is born in the sky?
Baby born in the sky? Heh heh, Again, the Bible contains word pictures that help us understand. All this is symbolism and not to be taken literally.
Yeah, but I don't think nyone can understand what Revelations is trying to say. Regardless, this anti-Catholic nonsense I hear from christians is really insane. You do know that, unless you're a member of one of the various shrinking middle eastern churches, the Greek Orthodox church, the Indian church founded by Thomas, or the Mormon church , you are a member of a church that takes from Catholicism quite liberally?
Echo wrote:
You are missing the history of the Jews here. The 12 tribes were ethnic Jews (or non-ethnic Jews who were accepted into the tribe). Their names were based on the names of Joseph's brothers (Joseph with the coat of many colours, not Joseph the foster father of Jesus) as that was their ancestry. Example: the tribe "Benjamin" is made of the descendents of Joseph's brother, Benjamin. These are believers, yes, but believers with a specific ethnic background.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Yes, these have been fulfilled. The passages are speaking about a restored Jerusalem. When Jesus came, he restored truth which in reality is restoring Jerusalem (symbolic of true believer’s) The walls are symbolic of doctrine or truth that keeps the people safe from outside attacks from the enemy. Ben from Canada You can't get away with that. Answer the point.
It would take me several months if not longer just to show you how we conclude this. When a person studies the word of God regularly, these things become more clear. If you did a study on the “walls” throughout the Bible, you could learn how it is often symbolic of protection of God’s people. And if you search on the topic of “truth” there you will learn that truth protects us.
You're backing out, and it's a sign you don't know what you're talking about. Show me, for example, how Jerusalem was rebuilt and how Jesus caused this. If you're right, this won't take months, but paragraphs, perhaps even a single one.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: The passages are not talking about physical attraction. They are talking about spiritual attraction. Isaiah 53 1 Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? 2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him Echo wrote: The unbelieving world looks at the outward. What attracts the unbelieving world? Wealth, strength,power, position, etc someone who will fight. BenfromCanada wrote: Which is exactly why over 2/3 of the entire world believes in a religion that goes against all of that? Source. The following religions encourage charity, humility, peace, etc. (as well as violence and wealth and strength and such, in at least a few cases): Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Spiritism, Judaism, Baha'i, Jainism, Zoroastrianism, Neo-Paganism, Unitarian-Universalism, Rastafari. Not sure about Shinto, Tenrikyo and Cao Dai. The rest either don't speak on them, aren't really "for" them or are an inaccurate grouping of religions based on flimsy pretenses.
I like how you didn't try to explain (or admit) the point about it actually referring to a physical attraction. Regardless, you're taking large parts of the bible out if you say christianity is not encouraging violence.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Jesus was poor, humble, a servant who forgave. And the world does not find that attractive. BenfromCanada wrote: Remember those religions I just listed? Subtract Rastafari, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Neo-Paganism and you have the list of religions that claim to either have Jesus as a prophet, or really respect and love him. (Actually, I think the Zoroastians might like Jesus...)
People believing it doesn't make it true. Even people who hated Columbus thought that he proved the world round, yet the belief was widespread before his journey. Does Columbus' detractors admitting that he "proved" the world to be round prove that he did? Not at all, it only proves that they believe he did this, and in this case, it proves that they are wrong.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Remember that there are around 300 prophecies in the OT, not just these ones. But if we take a look at Isaiah, Jesus was despised and rejected by men even though he never sinned. Benfromcanada wrote: WHAT? Jesus wasn't in Isaiah. That was the Messiah, and that was Isaiah predicting the Messiah.
Christ actually means "anointed" and every prophet and king in the old testament was called "anointed". Why would someone who was a christ say "the christ is coming to fuck shit up" rather than "I'm going to fuck shit up"? They wouldn't, therefore Messiah and Christ aren't truly the same.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Especially note that he was pierced for our transgression. BenfromCanada wrote: So was I.
I had a symbolic crucifixion Wink Regardless, "pierced" could mean "impaled" or "stabbed" or even "raped", and probably many other things, depending on how you look at it.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Because Jesus has obeyed them in our place, he has now declared us perfect forever. We are no longer under the law but under grace. The law was a babysitter to lead us to be justified in Christ. BenfromCanada wrote: Jesus himself denied this.
Where?
It is in the video. Jesus said the law is still in place.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: The Bible says that God places everyone where they can find him if they seek him. BenfromCanada wrote: So placing them where there was no way of knowing that Jesus existed because there was no bible there, no one who had read or heard of the bible, and no one who spoke a language the bible had been translated into, can find him HOW?
By looking at all of creation, by looking at the awesome technology that goes into creating a human being. Nothing man has ever created compares with the human body. All they would have to do is say: “God, if you exist, please help me to see that”
There's enough wrong with the human body and the world we live in that this argument is bunk. Regardless, why does it point to YOUR god, and not, say, Brahma?
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: First, we are not saved by our righteousness. Isaiah calls our righteousness “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6) How can a person have reserves about accepting eternal life as an absolutely free gift without cost? That would be like winning the lottery and refusing the money you won. BenfromCanada wrote: Click the link to the thread with tmajor. This has been debunked.
Is that the thread you gave a link to above?
Yes. If you clicked it, and I think you did, the author of the first one is "tmajor".
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: When we hear and understand the gospel, free will is restored. BenfromCanada wrote: Free will is nowhere in the bible. In fact, just the opposite, it is discouraged.
No it is not, free will (ability to choose God) is lost until God brings us into faith.)
Show me.
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: God must chase us and get us to hear it while we hate him. He has no easy job because we battle against him the whole way. Ben from Canada wrote: We don't battle "Him" we battle the (,,,) "His Followers" give us.
His word has been read by me and found lacking.
Echo wrote:
You seem to be believing all the lie’s about God as is very clear by our conversations. That nasty guy (Satan) is a liar and a deceiver. Why would he have to proclaim anything that is true? Satan is the author of lie’s, there is no truth in him.
How do you know Satan's the bad guy and Jesus is the good one? Maybe Jesus is the liar. Unless and until you find Satan's words, and compare them to Jesus', you have no idea who's truthful. Jesus has some documented lies on his record, maybe he's the father of lies?
Echo wrote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: Jesus said: “forgive them for they know NOT what they do” BenfromCanada wrote: Speaking specifically, in context, about people who executed him. Why is this to be applied all over, especially since, under christianity, they did a GOOD thing by saving us from sin?
Er...Jesus came down specifically for this thing. It was a good deed, because good came of it.
Quote:
Quote:
Echo wrote: But, it also is true that some of the letters might be perceived as threats when they are not really threats. BenfromCanada wrote: You can read many of them in the forums. They have 2 forums for letters received from theists. There are many clear-cut threats.
I will take your word for it. My thoughts are that they are hypocrites (unbelievers). People who profess Jesus outwardly but really are not converted. Satan has a hayday using hypocrites to scare people off and he is quite successful at it.
Yeah. Whatever.

Echo wrote:
Hi Ben, I tried to open your PM and I am not sure how to do that. I get into my inbox and your PM is there. If I click on your name, it brings up your profile. The only other things to click on are as follows: Delete Write a new message Empty Folder New Folder Help? heh heh

The links under "Subject" are what you should click to read the messages. There's a title to my PM. Click the title.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
nonbobblehead wrote: You

nonbobblehead wrote:

It's not that you didn't reply, it's that you ignored the arguments and replied to other things. You aren't discussing, you're being juvenile. Regardless, I've been working nonstop for the last few weeks. 12  and 13 hour shifts (I was lucky and only had to work 10 hours tonight) and all night shift. I managed to weasel my way into a couple of days off. However, I figure I've kept up fairly well, and not resorted to childish attacks.

nonbobblehead wrote:
WHAAAAA?

nonbobblehead wrote:
Because they a) chose it and b) obviously didn't view all the evidence, as atheists routinely show that they know more about the bible than christians.

nonbobblehead wrote:
No group is inherently "smarter" than the other.

nonbobblehead wrote:
Um...how?

nonbobblehead wrote:
You really are going to have to elaborate. What does the Origin of Species "look like" and what did the book of Romans and James look like, and how does the modern world look more like any of them...and why would that matter?

nonbobblehead wrote:
"I" am not very Christ like. The word "Christian" means "Christ like." Or little Christian.
You mean "little christ". It was a pejorative.
nonbobblehead wrote:
I have a hard time with being slapped and not slapping back. The snide, haughty, elitist diatribe of the oh-so typical atheist/freethinker/skeptic, is so unimmpressive most of the time, I get irritated and give them what they give.
Dude...I "slapped" you? I attacked your religion, NOT you. Regardless, if that is "unimpressive" then TALK WITH ME ABOUT IT. Don't fire off a fairly decent 

nonbobblehead wrote:
Again, I apologize.
Some apology. "I'm sorry, but you're bullies and arrogant and elitists and unimpressiv. But I'm sorry for being mean to you goodfornightings."

nonbobblehead wrote:
The New Testament is an impressive collections of writings.
Debateable.
nonbobblehead wrote:
They certainly seem supernatural to me. As does Jesus.
They describe supernatural stuff. The argument isn't whether this is the case, but whether it's true. I've shown that if it is, Jesus sinned.
nonbobblehead wrote:
I have never said it was not OK to be an atheist, I just hold to the fact that it is emotionalism knee-jerk hedocism that drives it on 9 times out of ten.
WTF mate? I see you being childish, but I was pretty calm and nice and respectful, as were all the other atheists, and Echo. Only you have given into what could be emotionalism.
nonbobblehead wrote:
Once you become a parent, you see the "why" of the childish behavior inherent in the human being. I see atheists as children that never grew out of their selfishness to embrace the fact that all of life is not just an accident to excuse away the desire to get away with things.
And I see christians as dumb little inbred kids that grew up outside chemical plants. Insults get you nowhere, dude. (I don't actually think that, however, I'm led to believe bobble was serious)

nonbobblehead wrote:
Again. I'll apologize for being rude to you, and that's all.
You were rude, then apologized, then acted rudely, apologized again and then acted rudely ONE SENTENCE ABOVE THIS LATEST APOLOGY. If you're going to apologize, then don't reoffend.
nonbobblehead wrote:
I will not apolgize for the rational belief that we are not accidents created by other random accidents.
If you're the rational one, then, as captian pinapple's signature says, come reason with us. Don't show that you might be able to discuss, then run away and hide behind childish insults. That shows a lack of rational thought, because your reason can't stand up to challenge.
nonbobblehead wrote:
We are heading in an orderly direction for "some" reason or another.
Except we're not heading in an orderly direction.

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
RigormortisQuote:Contradi

Rigormortis

Quote:

Contradiction to purgatory in Colossians 2:13 is simply your imagination. The stretch is so wide, that I doubt many people will come to see your viewpoint and accept it. God forgave us of our tresspasses, but what are those "tresspasses" exactly? What are they referring to? Considering the historical situation, I'd rather go with literal tresspasses. Do remember that the book was aimed at certain very specific people.

Also, Hebrews state that those sanctified have been perfected, it doesn't say anything about anyone else. Have you been sanctified?

I assure you it is not my imagination. Jesus didn’t die just for the people in Colossians, he died for the whole world. All our sins have been forgiven. That forgiveness becomes ours by faith. Trespasses are our sins. The passage in Hebrews is for the whole world also. By Jesus’ sacrifice, we have all been made perfect. Again, it applies to those who believe it.

Quote:

Oh, you are not familliar with that. This is it:

On Easter Island, a lot before the first Christians arrived there, lived a small group of people. They had their own gods, represented in the huge head-like statues on one side of the beach. They lived in peace and harmony, and were generally what one would call good people. Obviously, since there was no Christian there before, they have never ever heard of Yahweh the god or his son, Jesus Crhist, and, therefore, had no reason to pray to him or offer burnt offerings or build churches. They simply had no idea of his existence.

The question: Will these people go to Heaven or Hell ? (to ease up the thought: let us consider that these people do not sin any more or any different than a regular Christian who goes to Heaven, of course excepting for the agnosticism of God and Jesus part; practically, if the Easter-islander would be a Christian, he would surely go to Heaven)

These people will go to Hell, . The reason? Because we don’t get into heaven by being good. None of us is good enough. Isaiah says that all our righteous acts are as filthy rags.
People can’t EARN heaven by being good. We get into heaven by faith alone in Jesus alone. Jesus gave us the gift of eternal life.

Quote:
Side question: Will an atheist go to Heaven or Hell?
An atheist will go to Hell.
Since faith is the only requirement to get into heaven, and since faith is not hard but it actually takes more effort to be an atheist. Jesus has given us eternal life as a gift not a goal.
Believe it, and it is yours.

Quote:

Problems:

1) Atheist to hell, Easter-islander to heaven - The only difference between the atheist and the Easter-islander is that the atheist has heard of God. Therefore, since, if he hadn't heard of God, he would have gone to heaven, just like the Easter-islander, the ones that have told him about God are, in fact, responsible for his damnation (you included). Needless to say that in this case, spreading the word of God actually damns people where the messenger doesn't have the strength to convince

Like I said above, both the easter islanders and atheist are going to Hell. They themselves are responsible for that. Messengers don’t have the strength to convince. Only God can do that. However, man himself chooses to keep his ears closed instead of listening and learning.

Quote:

3) Atheist to hell, Easter-islander to hell - Nevermind the atheist, but the Easter-islander is going to hell simply because he hadn't the chance to HEAR about God. Practically, he's bound to hell no matter what he does, until the first one to tell him about God and Jesus crosses his path.
During the period of biblical history, there are three or four times when the whole world heard the message. Many rejected it and received their just reward. But the bible teaches that God can be found, so people themselves will be without excuse. Ask yourself a question. Are you just talking back and forth with me in hopes of damaging or destroying my faith?, or just to prove me wrong? or are you sincerely interested in getting answers?

Quote:

Echo wrote::

You asked if it doesn’t matter what you do. What I do does not matter or add to my salvation. I gain salvation first, through Jesus alone, while in my sinful state, doing nothing good at all. However, once I am saved and have that security that heaven IS my home based on the merits of Jesus alone, once I know Salvation is mine already, God shows me how much he loves me in this and God puts in me a new heart that desires to live a life pleasing to him.

Rigormortis wrote:
I doubt you will ever be able to prove that. Right now, I see many many Christians in jail.

Note, I said a desire to live a life pleasing to him. I did not say that we would live a life pleasing to him. Christians still sin. In weakness generally and sometimes in defiance. But generally speaking, they desire to obey him. But God is faithful, he understands our weakness and has compassion on us. In our weakness, he is gentle and patient and instructs us in the way in which we should go. When we defiantly disobey him, we face the consequences and the discipline of our heavenly father. Just like our earthly parents disciplined us for our good, so does God.
Christians in jail therefore is a possibility. Look at King David, he committed adultery and murder, God led him to repent and God never mentioned his sin again. God forgot it! God only said later that David was a man after God’s own heart! David’s sin was never mentioned after that. If we got into heaven by our works, David wouldn’t be going to heaven. But David believed in the messiah to come (Jesus) and that means David didn’t trust in his works. He trusted in Jesus’ works in his behalf.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:
I have no idea of what John 5:29 you have, but mine is "And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation" - to me it's clear that salvation is conditioned on what you do, and the verse has apparently nothing to do with God chooseing you, or giving you a path, or any of the emotional off-topicness you have posted in your response.

It is not conditioned on what we do, there are too many passages that say it is not conditioned on what we do. Like I said, those who truly believe will do good, it is a natural to do good when you love someone. It is natural to want to please someone you love. Of course, we never are perfect, but we do do good. Since our sins our forgiven, God only sees the good we do and nothing else. Just like he only saw the good that David did once he repented. The Bible says that love covers over all wrongs.
The Bible cannot contradict itself. You have misunderstood this one passage as salvation by faith and works and completely disregarded the many clear passages that we are not saved by what we do, by our righteousness, by our works.
Here are verses that clearly explain we are not saved by works. Once we are saved, we then do good works, but our works are not the cause of our salvation, they are a result of our already being saved:

Romans 4:2 “If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God.”

Romans 4:4-5 “4Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. 5However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.”

Romans 9:31-33 “31but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone." 33As it is written:
"See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall,
and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

Ephesians 2:8-9 “8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.”

Romans 6:14 “For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.”

Galatians 3:10 “All who rely on observing the law are under a curse…”

Romans 3:21 “But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.”

Romans 3:21-23 “21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,”

Romans 4:6 “David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:”

Quote:

Echo wrote::

Rigormortis wrote:

Oh, I agree with you, but the point wasn't where rewards are coming from or in what way. Furthermore, that verse has nothing to do with that either. My Psalms 62:12 is: "Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work." - "You render every man according to his work" - I don't know how simpler and clearer it could get.

How exactly did you get to rewards from Heaven and Heaven already being given us, etc. ? I see no connection whatsoever with the verses.

Well you assume the verse means our good works means we will be rewarded with heaven and our wicked works means we will be rewarded with Hell. This cause fear in us.. But the verse doesn’t say that. You are reading that into the verse.
Believers are rewarded from within the kingdom of Heaven. Heaven itself is not the reward. 1 Corinthians 3:14-16 shows that the believers, whether they do good or not, they are still saved into heaven. However, rewards are given or lost from within Heaven.

Quote:

I won't even bother to answer the rest, because either we're using two completely different Bibles, or you have a serious problem relating to what is actually written there, or I have a serious problem understanding the connections you make. Just one side note: The verses from John's Apocalypse, which you said are not in the Bible, actually are in the Bible. In the Catholic, Reformed and JW Bibles, the books is called "Revelations". In the Orthodox, it's called John's Apocalypse.
I am using the NIV. I believe you are having problems understanding me, probably because I am not the best communicator. Just keep asking for clarification and I will see if I can’t find a way to better communicate with you by trying to rephrase what I am saying.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:
Bollocks. That's simply your wishful thinking.

No, that is incorrect. The Bible has verses in which eating meat is fine, but it also has verses in which Gluttony is mentioned also.

Quote:

"Nevertheless, these shall ye not eat, of them that chew the cud or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel and the hare, and the coney; for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore, they are unclean unto you. And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass" - that's Deuteronomy. It states simply, clearly and explicitly. Thou shalt not eat! Imperative. NOWHERE does it say or even imply "thou shalt not eat in excess".

The old testament food laws were specifically for the Israelites. They were a shadow of the reality found in Christ. Jesus said it is not what goes into our mouth that makes us unclean, it is what comes from our hearts that makes us unclean.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormotis wrote:
Bollocks. That's simply your wishful thinking and weird interpretation again. Nowhere in the verses I showed you does it say that, or does it even assume that! Actually, I don't think that anywhere in the Bible, God actually cares about disturbing conscience.

1 Corinthians 8:10 “For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols?”

1 Corinthians 8:12 “When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.”

1 Corinthians 10:27-29 “27If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake— 29the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?”

Quote:

OK, so the Jews cannot eat pork, but all the rest can. Nobody could eat pork before Jesus, now anyone can eat pork. Could you give me just one good reason for which I shouldn't treat these discriminating rules and these sudden changes of mood for the bollocks that they are?

They were a shadow of the reality found in Christ. Perhaps the clean and unclean food was a shadow of good and evil. Unclean food representing unclean thoughts words and actions and clean food as representing clean thoughts words and actions.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigor mortis wrote:

You've got to be kidding me !

OK, question. Up to now, you should admit that what you are saying on matters of scripture is an interpretation. My example with the law in Deuteronomy should be clear. Who provides that interpretation for you? Do you do it? If so, how do you know it is right?

We let the scripture interpret scripture. With the example of the food laws. Jesus then said that it isn’t what goes into the body that makes a man unclean, it is what goes into the heart that makes a man unclean….That scripture interprets the food law scriptures.

Quote:

In what language? Do you happen to know that "Vicarivs Filii Dei", the Papal inscription, means "Representative of the Son of God", and not "Against the Son of God", in Latin? Considering that Latin was invented in Rome, I find the title quite normal.

You misunderstood me. Sorry. It means “in place of” in Latin
“anti” mean “in place of” also, but in the Hebrew.
To prove the point anyways, The pope stands between God and man as the perfect interpreter of God’s word. Thus people could be led to believe the Pope over and above the Bible itself! This trusting in man more than God. That is dangerous. The Bible says to not trust in man but in God alone.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:
So as I was saying, that verse you brought forth as an example has absolutely nothing to do with the matter.

Could you bring the verse forward? I don’t have time to back track, please except my apologies for that. I am already pressed for time as it is. My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer and I have just been diagnosed with a large hernia. Both of us are awaiting surgery. My son has severe epilepsy and life is pretty hectic. So I would appreciate your help in saving me as much time as possible.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:
Answer this simply: are we threatened with Hell or not? If yes, all that I said stands.

You are threatening yourself with hell. Christians just inform you of the danger you yourself are choosing to be in. We warn to help you, not to harm you.
If you are rafting down a river and up the way is a waterfall that you are unaware of. If you go over the falls, you will surely die. If I am on the embankment and see the danger you are in, out of concern for you, I would warn you so that you might heed my warning and avoid going over the falls on your raft. Notice though in my parable, you are the one going down the river, not me, not God. We are the ones trying to save your life. If you ignore the warning and don’t get off the raft, you will surely go over the falls and die.

Quote:
:
Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:
Is that it? And afterwards you can do whatever you want? You can bother hundreds of people and make the tragedy of them losing a son in war even worse than it is like the Phelpses ()hope I got the family name right, you know what I'm referring to)? You can rob hundreds of people of their money and make complete fools out of them live on TV by pretending to heal them, like Popoff?

Let me tell you another parable.
If you are on death row for a crime you committed and a man comes along and takes your place so that you are free to go. Would you go back to living your life of crime so that you end up in prison on death row again? Or would you try to change the way you lived in appreciation for what that man did for you because he loved you so much that he died in your place so that you could be free?

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Rigormortis wrote:”
I'm curious when this God of yours will send me one. Because if he doesn't before I die, I'll be in hell when he could have helped me just a little more, in his unconditional, omnibenevolent, love.

Well maybe he sent me to you. But I am not perfect either. If you are expecting perfection, that should make you uncomfortable because that would mean that should you believe, you would have to be perfect also. But God’s accepts the imperfect into his family. The perfect have no place in his family.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Yes, we have the completed, logically incoherent, internally-contradicting, completely prone to just about any interpretation, dragged through dirt by all those who used it for their own purpose, completely uncertain because of the many denominations which all claim that they are "the true ones" with absolutely no different arguments from any of the others, hand-picked at the Councils of Nicaea by human hands, word of God.

Give me just one good reason why I should actually trust that word of God.

Because God knows you, he knows all your thoughts, he knows all your sins, and he died for you anyways because he loves you!

Quote:
He also gave us (at least some of us) the punishment of eternal torture in hell. If he gave us the gift of eternal life in Heaven without condition, then it means that we are unconditionally going there. So then Hell doesn't exist, or, if it does, it doesn't affect anyone.
Again, we ourselves choose Hell, God, in the end, just gives us what we have asked for all along out of respect for our choice to not want anything to do with him.
God does love us unconditionally, but his love must be received rather than rejected for it to apply to us. God will not force anyone into heaven against their will. You must desire to go there. You must let his love for you penetrate through the wall you have put up over your heart. If you don’t, you are saying you don’t want to be loved unconditionally.

Quote:

The native Amerindian religions should also be true, then, because their gods not only love their people, they actually protect them as spirits, and help thenm by sending rain or sun when needed, and give them the Indian version of bliss when they die, if they deserve it, and if they don't, they don't just cast them away into torture, but make them into something useful in which they can recover, so that once, in the future, they too will join the bliss. From this point of view, the native Indians' religion is a lot more "true" than yours.
I love native people, don’t misunderstand me, but again, none of us deserves the love of God. In this religion as you have explained it, fear is the motive to do good. “if they deserve it” But honestly, God doesn’t want us to have this type of fear. He wants us to have peace. He wants unconditional love to motivate us without fear rather than threats to motivate us. Choose for yourself which is truly a God of love.

Quote:

Buddhism also teaches that nobody gets burnt for eternity. Their religion is a religion of rewards only, no punishments. Their religion is a religion of self-progress, through which society progresses as well. From this point of view, their religion is a lot more "true" than yours.
So countries shouldn't have stopped Hitler then? Because stopping him is a punishment?

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis

Rigor_OMortis wrote:

There is a punishment in Buddhism, though. Not that bad, but...

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot01.htm

25. The concept of Hell(s) in Buddhism is very different from that of other religions. It is not a place for eternal damnation as viewed by 'almighty creator' religions. In Buddhism, it is just one of the six realms in Samsara [i.e. the worst of three undesirable realms]. Also, there are virtually unlimited number of hells in the Buddhist cosmology as there are infinite number of Buddha worlds.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Echo, your last post is

Echo, your last post is simply far too long to take apart and answer one point at a time. So I'll take the most important points and draw a picture.

Quote:
Like I said above, both the easter islanders and atheist are going to Hell. They themselves are responsible for that. Messengers don’t have the strength to convince. Only God can do that. However, man himself chooses to keep his ears closed instead of listening and learning.

You are, probably, the first person that exhibits some degree of intelligence that gives me such a conclusion.

What I want to ask you now is the following:

1. Let's say that a kid is born on Easter Island. Let's say that the others simply don't want him to find God, although they know of him, and everyone conceals God's existence, and "replaces" him with other, false gods. Let's also say that the kid grows and dies of old age years before the Spanish arrive there and bring Christianity. Is that kid responsible for his lack of knowledge of, and therefore belief in, God? What could he have done to change the situation?

2. How much do you know of Vishnu? Do you believe in it? Obviously not, I presume. But have you been given that chance to learn about him and have you been given the chance to ponder whether or not Vishnu is the real God? Obviously, this was an analogy to the current situation

You might have realized, I hope, that to every normal, intelligent person, the Easter Island dilemma is actually a trick. The theist has absolutely no choice but one that is strongly against him. He has to choose either complete injustice (both go to hell), or human's fault (islander heaven, atheist hell), or complete awkwardness (islander hell, atheist heaven), or irrelevance (both to heaven).

Well, you chose complete injustice. The other people that generally choose that are religious fanatics that resemble the 9/11 Muslims. It's similar to the answer for the question about syndromes, like: "I must be his fault for being born with Down's or Angelman's, or with AIDS. If he didn't do something, perhaps he will do something evil." That kind of answer just doesn't cut it.

Quote:
It is not conditioned on what we do, there are too many passages that say it is not conditioned on what we do. Like I said, those who truly believe will do good, it is a natural to do good when you love someone.

OK, got that. We'll remember this.

Quote:
No, that is incorrect. The Bible has verses in which eating meat is fine, but it also has verses in which Gluttony is mentioned also.

Quote:
The old testament food laws were specifically for the Israelites. They were a shadow of the reality found in Christ. Jesus said it is not what goes into our mouth that makes us unclean, it is what comes from our hearts that makes us unclean.

I hope you do realize that saying these to a person that considers the Bible as self-contradictory is a self-defeating argument, don't you?

Quote:
They were a shadow of the reality found in Christ. Perhaps the clean and unclean food was a shadow of good and evil. Unclean food representing unclean thoughts words and actions and clean food as representing clean thoughts words and actions.

So I ask again: could you give me just one good reason why I should treat those laws and those changes of mood seriously?

Quote:
We let the scripture interpret scripture. With the example of the food laws. Jesus then said that it isn’t what goes into the body that makes a man unclean, it is what goes into the heart that makes a man unclean….That scripture interprets the food law scriptures.

So, what's the Scripture's interpretation on slaves and slavery?

Quote:
You misunderstood me. Sorry. It means “in place of” in Latin
“anti” mean “in place of” also, but in the Hebrew.
To prove the point anyways, The pope stands between God and man as the perfect interpreter of God’s word. Thus people could be led to believe the Pope over and above the Bible itself! This trusting in man more than God. That is dangerous. The Bible says to not trust in man but in God alone.

You had an upside-down argument there about "anti" in Hebrew.

I understand that you're taking the Bible as the only word that is worth listening (actually reading) to.

Quote:
You are threatening yourself with hell. Christians just inform you of the danger you yourself are choosing to be in. We warn to help you, not to harm you.
If you are rafting down a river and up the way is a waterfall that you are unaware of. If you go over the falls, you will surely die. If I am on the embankment and see the danger you are in, out of concern for you, I would warn you so that you might heed my warning and avoid going over the falls on your raft. Notice though in my parable, you are the one going down the river, not me, not God. We are the ones trying to save your life. If you ignore the warning and don’t get off the raft, you will surely go over the falls and die.

You warn to help us, not to harm us ... ? Give me a break, please!

Let me make my point clear, as clear as it can be: If god loves us unconditionally, and if he created everything that we will ever be able to experience, but himself, then why did he choose to create a heaven and a hell? I can understand the heaven, but why the hell? Why is opposition to God's so "unconditional" love meaning eternal punishment? I simply don't want to be in the presence of God. Why does that mean that I have to be tortured forever? This sounds as whatever you wish, EXCEPT for an unconditionally-loving God.

My other point, in the original post, was that I can apply the same logic you applied to God and Heaven towards God and Hell. Applying it, your answer was "you believed a lot of Satan's lies". That doesn't sound like a caring Christian who has full trust of his God and gives himself in on every aspect of his life, but simply a dogma-entrenched sheepy believer that tries to hide behind the finger.

Quote:
Let me tell you another parable.
If you are on death row for a crime you committed and a man comes along and takes your place so that you are free to go. Would you go back to living your life of crime so that you end up in prison on death row again? Or would you try to change the way you lived in appreciation for what that man did for you because he loved you so much that he died in your place so that you could be free?

Parable is a bit flawed. I have to lower my moral standards with quite some degrees of magnitude before I get on death row in the first place. And I have no idea what I would do then, honestly, because my moral standards aren't that low.

Quote:
Well maybe he sent me to you. But I am not perfect either. If you are expecting perfection, that should make you uncomfortable because that would mean that should you believe, you would have to be perfect also. But God’s accepts the imperfect into his family. The perfect have no place in his family.

Don't get yourself overconfident, buster. You don't live every moment in full trust and unconditional surrender to God either. If you did, you would have the power to shatter my arguments, and not fall into obvious traps like the Easter Island dilemma, and you won't give hide-behind-the-finger answers either.

What good is, to me, a messenger that is less capable of expressing his "bit of Holy Spirit" than myself? For all I would know, God might have sent me this Confucius statue that I have on top of my monitor as a messenger.

Quote:
Because God knows you, he knows all your thoughts, he knows all your sins, and he died for you anyways because he loves you!

I didn't ask him to do that. He's a tyrant, and even if I believed in him, I couldn't love him. And he knows that. He killed or specifically ordered the death of millions for absolutely no good reason, he "sacrificed" (note the quotation marks, for he didn't sacrifice anything) himself to himself for absolutely no good reason (he could have chose any alternative path, since he's omnipotent, and he would have known about it, since he's omniscient), his attributes present numerous paradoxes and logical contradictions, his "word" is two millenia old, and looks precisely as if it has been written by man, with no other inspiration, probably except for weed in the case of Ezekiel and John. There are numerous other such books, each telling a different story. Once again, I ask you: give me just one good reason why I should trust this word of god?

Quote:

Again, we ourselves choose Hell, God, in the end, just gives us what we have asked for all along out of respect for our choice to not want anything to do with him.
God does love us unconditionally, but his love must be received rather than rejected for it to apply to us. God will not force anyone into heaven against their will. You must desire to go there. You must let his love for you penetrate through the wall you have put up over your heart. If you don’t, you are saying you don’t want to be loved unconditionally.

You are WRONG. I don't choose Hell. I choose to stay here on Earth forever. I like it here. Sure, I can smoke my lungs out, there's pollution, there's serial killers, etc., but no ammount of cloud-hugging equals the simple pleasures that one can have here. I don't want eternal bliss, I don't need it. I want to remain here. That is my choice. Does God respect it? Nope...

Quote:
I love native people, don’t misunderstand me, but again, none of us deserves the love of God. In this religion as you have explained it, fear is the motive to do good. “if they deserve it” But honestly, God doesn’t want us to have this type of fear. He wants us to have peace. He wants unconditional love to motivate us without fear rather than threats to motivate us. Choose for yourself which is truly a God of love.

Oh come on! You could convince a kindergarden child that you have no fear of Hell, and that it doesn't constitute a big part of your belief, but not an adult.

Besides, you took what I said precisely out of context. There is no fear to do good, as each has the opportunity to repeat everything as he sees fit, until he is worthy of the eternal plains. What fear can there be? It's less fear than when you're in University and you have an exam.

Quote:
So countries shouldn't have stopped Hitler then? Because stopping him is a punishment?

I don't deny that you have a complicated and intricate way of thinking, but could you explain me what you wanted to say?

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanadaQuote:God

BenfromCanada

Quote:

God always controlled the government, though. So, unless it was talking about a physical leader, there's no reason they'd word it like that. They'd say "All kings will continue to bow down before him" instead of "All kings will to bow down before him"

Not all Kings bow down before him. But God still uses their evil for his good purposes.
So they will bow down before him in the sense that when it is revealed how God used All kings for his good purposes, the evil Kings will be silenced.

Quote:
I will place on your throne- 12 if your sons keep my covenant
then their sons will sit
on your throne for ever and ever.

As you see, it wasn't referring to one person reigning forever.

That’s right. All believer’s reign together with him for all eternity.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Quote:

Daniel 7:14 (New International Version) 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
BenfromCanada wrote:
This verse is prophecy about his second coming. How do you know it was the second, not first, coming? There is no part of the Tanach, aka the Old Testament, which says there will be more than one coming of the Messiah.

Isaiah 53:7-8 “…he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.”

Clearly this verse shows that he died.
And even clearer in this verse:
Isaiah 53:12 “12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Quote:

Daniel 7:27 (New International Version) 27 Then the sovereignty, power and greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be handed over to the saints, the people of the Most High. His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him.'

Benfromcanada wrote:
Revelation 19:22 or some other chapter, verses 19-22? Regardless, this doesn't say there's going to be a second coming.

The books 19-22, not the verses.
Read those books to see what I mean.

Quote:
So why must it be written that he WILL rule, unless he'll start ruling in a literal, physical sense.
When it says he will rule, that means there will be no more unbelievers.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, essentially. Though some other theist went through some other verses I didn't pick up.

Very clearly we are not saved by works, you just misunderstand them. If you would like we could go through them when we are finished discussing the matters we are discussing now otherwise our posts will just get far too long. I’d be glad to do that with you.

Quote:

So you hate your parents for sinning? You sin too, you know.
Again, the word hate isn’t what you think. I don’t hate my parents at all. But, that doesn’t mean that I will jump in and sin right along with them when there is a better way. Yes, I too am a sinner, but that doesn’t mean I desire to sin.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Quote:

Echo wrote: By the law, no one is righteous, we all sin. BenfromCanada wrote: By the Law, those who follow the law are righteous. If they make the sacrifices, their sin is gone.
Echo wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:
WTF? Simply believing in Jesus makes you good?

In a sense, yes. Believing that Jesus has made us “perfect forever” means that when we stand in the judgment, When God looks at us, he only sees Jesus and his perfection. This is what it means to be clothed in the righteousness of Christ. So in the judgment, I have no fear at all. I will be seen as perfect, solely because of what Jesus has done for me and given me. Hell is in the past. Heaven is guaranteed to me because of what Jesus has done. That is the awesome security I have been given in Christ. I am not saved by my works, I am saved by Jesus works. That is a very peaceful message! And it causes me to fall in love with a God as great as this!
Because I now love God for giving me such security in his love and in heaven, I can’t help but want to become what he has already declared me to be. He has declared me “perfect” he has declared me “righteous” he has declared me “holy” All because of Jesus!
If God thinks so highly of me even while I am a wretch and a God hater and do absolutely nothing at all to please him, then he must really love me! Just as I am! How can I not fall in love with a God who loves me even then? And if I fall in love with such an amazing God, how can I desire to continue on in a life that he doesn’t want for me? He only wants the best for me, he wants to prosper me and make my life worth living. He knows that sin only seeks to destroy me, so why, if I love God, would I desire to sin against such a great God as this? And so I see that God has taken out my heart of stone and replaced it with a new heart. One that loves him and desires to do his will out of thanks for all the love he has shown me! It is only when I have a heart like this, a heart that serves out of love for God, that I am good. If I serve God with good works in order to get into heaven, I am evil. I am self serving.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Quote:

BenfromCanada wrote: Jesus has declared us righteous and this is not our own righteousness it is his gift to us. So we are righteous. Even though it's not "our righteousness" it's still righteousness.

Yes. Jesus was perfectly righteous; he gave that righteousness to us like a robe to wear. Remember the passages about being dressed in white? So we become like snow covered dung. God only sees the snow. Jesus has made us perfect forever. Just as we have been declared perfect forever in his righteousness, we now desire to work on our own righteousness out of thanks. That perfection that Jesus gives us assures us the moment we believe, that we are going to heaven. So there is no fear. Hebrews 10:14 “because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.” Notice in the above verse, we have been made perfect (past tense) and now that we are perfect forever in God’s eyes because of the righteousness Jesus gave us, now we work on our own righteousness just out of love and thanks. We know heaven is our home before we even begin working on our righteousness.

So, why did you say that we're not really righteous? Righteousness is rightesousness.

There are two righteousness’. One we are given as a gift, it assures us that Heaven is our home and it assures us of how much God loves us. The other is our righteousness, something that we work on. But our righteousness has nothing to do with salvation.
Only Jesus righteousness counts for salvation.

Quote:

BenfromCanada wrote:
I don't agree.

Well it is true and careful bible study will show you that.
Even in the one verse I already shared: “he has made perfect forever, those who are being made Holy” Notice we are made perfect forever (past tense). Being perfect means we are righteous, and Holy, yet the same verse says we are being made Holy. That is the two righteousness’.

Quote:
Echo wrote:

Quote:

Echo wrote: Doesn’t fit. What does “in the world” mean? It means we are in the world and we relate to and love others. What does “not of it” mean? We are in the world and relate to and love others but refrain from sinning as they do. Ben from Canada wrote: This doesn't make sense, and isn't implied.

Well maybe it’s not clear there but it is clear elsewhere in the Bible. 1 Corinthians 5:9 “9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.”
BenfromCanada wrote:
This specifically says that you are to avoid christians who are sexually immoral, greedy, etc. Not what "in the world yet not of it" implies.

Yes exactly, we are to avoid Christians who do these things, but not the world. The verse says if we were to avoid the world who does these things, we would have to leave the world! Obviously we can’t leave the world. So for sure, it means be in the world, but not of it.

Quote:

We can see what is sin when we see the law. We know what we've done. If we know what is sin, and know what we've done, we know that we've sinned.
Well yes, I am not saying that we can’t recognize sin when we look at the law. What I am saying is that we don’t always see all our sin. The Pharisees thought that by doing good they would get into heaven. As if God were like some type of employer who pays for a job well done and the pay is entrance into heaven. The sin they don’t see is that they are serving themselves! They are only righteous because it pays. Not only that, but the Pharisees looked down on the Gentiles because they thought they were more righteous but the fact that they looked down on the gentiles shows that they failed to realized their own sin in doing that very thing! The root of all sin, is not always so easily recognized.

Quote:

Satan said that. Fine. But wouldn't god know that this wasn't true, WITHOUT torturing him so.

Well, I believe it brought Job closer to God in the end. Job learned things through that experience that he would not have learned any other way. And God used his suffering for our good, for our encouragement, to see that we don’t always see the good God is doing, even in our suffering. But in the end, it all works out and we are blessed by it!

Quote:
Sorry if I misread it.

It's OK, but try to look into it a bit more, please.

I sent you a PM, not sure if I did it right. LOL did you get it? I will read your story again. I printed it up awhile back, now I just have to find it again.

Quote:

BenfromCanada wrote:
Jokes. All jokes…. I can't make hide nor hair of it.

It is a very symbolic book, and takes quite a bit of bible study both from the old and new testament to begin to understand all the symbolism. But, a study well worth the effort but very time consuming.

Quote:

No, actually, it was them literally (not figuratively) tryin to reach heaven. This was an explanation for the variety of languages in the world, nothing more.

Well I see much of the old testament as a shadow of a reality in the new testament. What I see literally in the OT, often becomes spiritual in the NT. Kind of like symbolism again.
What was going on at Babel is that men were trying to climb up to heaven and make a name for themselves by their strength, their knowledge and wisdom, their work. Similarilty, false religion in which men try to climb up to heaven by doing good works, thus trying to make a name for themselves.

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think nyone can understand what Revelations is trying to say. Regardless, this anti-Catholic nonsense I hear from christians is really insane. You do know that, unless you're a member of one of the various shrinking middle eastern churches, the Greek Orthodox church, the Indian church founded by Thomas, or the Mormon church , you are a member of a church that takes from Catholicism quite liberally?

Again, understanding Revelation takes lengthy bible study of both the O and N testaments. But there are passages outside of Revelation that are not spoken in symbolism that can be taken literally that speak of the antichrist and one is that they forbid people to marry. The Catholic Church forbids it’s ministers to marry.
Not all of Catholicism is false teaching. They do indeed have some very biblical teachings. Our church has maintained some very Catholic teachings, the biblical ones.
Nor would I say that because we believe the Papacy is the antichrist, that all Catholic’s are going to Hell. We don’t believe that. We believe Catholic’s can be saved if they trust the Bible more than the church. We believe that there are true believer’s wherever the word is. But we do go against Church confessions that are false because false teaching can be potentially harmful or fatal to the soul.

Quote:

You're backing out, and it's a sign you don't know what you're talking about. Show me, for example, how Jerusalem was rebuilt and how Jesus caused this. If you're right, this won't take months, but paragraphs, perhaps even a single one.

Well if you study the OT, Walls were built around the towns or cities for protection from outsiders or the enemy. Walls then provided security and peace. The OT talks about watchmen of the walls. They watched for danger and warned people of danger.
The watchmen in the NT are any believer who knows the word of God, be it a pastor, theologian, or layman. Our enemy is Satan, who would deceive us with false teaching and try to destroy our faith. All our battles against our enemy then is done with the sword
Of the word of God. God’s word is the Wall of protection against the enemy.
So how has Jesus restored Jerusalem? By giving us the completed word of God as the wall of protection against our worst enemy, Satan.

Quote:

I like how you didn't try to explain (or admit) the point about it actually referring to a physical attraction. Regardless, you're taking large parts of the bible out if you say christianity is not encouraging violence.

I think your misinterpreting the Bible.

Quote:

People believing it doesn't make it true. Even people who hated Columbus thought that he proved the world round, yet the belief was widespread before his journey. Does Columbus' detractors admitting that he "proved" the world to be round prove that he did? Not at all, it only proves that they believe he did this, and in this case, it proves that they are wrong.

I agree that people believing it doesn’t make it true and If people can be wrong, why did you give up religion because of people?

Echo wrote:

Quote:

Echo wrote: Because Jesus has obeyed them in our place, he has now declared us perfect forever. We are no longer under the law but under grace. The law was a babysitter to lead us to be justified in Christ. BenfromCanada wrote: Jesus himself denied this.

Where?

Quote:
It is in the video. Jesus said the law is still in place.

I am really not sure the point you are trying to make.
The point is that the law isn’t the way to heaven. The law in it’s proper use, leads us to see our sin and inability to save ourselves by works and leads us to trust in Christ instead.

Quote:

There's enough wrong with the human body and the world we live in that this argument is bunk. Regardless, why does it point to YOUR god, and not, say, Brahma?
God created Adam and Eve to live forever. They fell into sin, we now die.

Quote:

Echo wrote:

Quote:

Echo wrote: When we hear and understand the gospel, free will is restored. BenfromCanada wrote: Free will is nowhere in the bible. In fact, just the opposite, it is discouraged.

BenfromCanada wrote:

Show me.

John 15:16 “You did not choose me, but I chose you”
Acts 16:14 “One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message.”

Quote:

His word has been read by me and found lacking.
Keep at it, you have a long way to go yet! It will come.

Quote:

How do you know Satan's the bad guy and Jesus is the good one? Maybe Jesus is the liar. Unless and until you find Satan's words, and compare them to Jesus', you have no idea who's truthful. Jesus has some documented lies on his record, maybe he's the father of lies?
Again, it is your misinterpretation that is at fault.

Quote:

Er...Jesus came down specifically for this thing. It was a good deed, because good came of it.

Just because good came of it doesn’t mean it was a good deed.
If someone comes and burns down my house, that is not a good deed. However, insurance built me a new one that was not in need of repairs like the old one. So some good came of it.

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rigormortis and

Rigormortis and BenfromCanada,

Our posts are getting far too long and time consuming. I spent all morning just answering Ben's post. (10 pages in Word)
Could we choose a point and discuss it until you are satisified and then move on to another point?

I can't keep up with this pace, you guys are amazing with the devotion to our discussion and I appreciate all you want to discuss but can we slow it down?

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. Let's say that a

Rigormortis

Quote:
1. Let's say that a kid is born on Easter Island. Let's say that the others simply don't want him to find God, although they know of him, and everyone conceals God's existence, and "replaces" him with other, false gods. Let's also say that the kid grows and dies of old age years before the Spanish arrive there and bring Christianity. Is that kid responsible for his lack of knowledge of, and therefore belief in, God? What could he have done to change the situation?

Well the kid you described is me. I was born into an unbelieving family. I was filled with fear about God, I was taught that he was a wrathful mean tyrant who will send me to Hell. Etc. etc. But he somehow saved me.

Quote:
2. How much do you know of Vishnu?

nothing

Quote:
You might have realized, I hope, that to every normal, intelligent person, the Easter Island dilemma is actually a trick. The theist has absolutely no choice but one that is strongly against him. He has to choose either complete injustice (both go to hell), or human's fault (islander heaven, atheist hell), or complete awkwardness (islander hell, atheist heaven), or irrelevance (both to heaven).

Well, you chose complete injustice.

I didn't choose complete injustice. The Bible teaches that we can find God if we look for him.

God is choosing you now, are you listening?
Why worry about people on easter island? God is more than able to save whom he chooses. He is choosing you now, or would you rather join those on easter island?

Quote:
I hope you do realize that saying these to a person that considers the Bible as self-contradictory is a self-defeating argument, don't you?
Nope, not at all. You just need to study it more to see that the contraditions are from within yourself and not the Bible.

Quote:
So, what's the Scripture's interpretation on slaves and slavery?

Do a word search at biblegateway. Type in slave.
The Bible teaches that Slaves can be free.

Quote:
Let me make my point clear, as clear as it can be: If god loves us unconditionally, and if he created everything that we will ever be able to experience, but himself, then why did he choose to create a heaven and a hell? I can understand the heaven, but why the hell? Why is opposition to God's so "unconditional" love meaning eternal punishment? I simply don't want to be in the presence of God. Why does that mean that I have to be tortured forever? This sounds as whatever you wish, EXCEPT for an unconditionally-loving God.

Why a Hell? Would you want to live forever with an unrepentant Hitler?
Hell is simply the absense of God. If God is not there, then no good is there, no light, no peace, no love, no happiness, no joy, no painlessness, nothing considered good. for all these things come from God. If God is not there, then these things are not there either. Right now, all these things are given to both the righteous and the wicked. That is grace that even the wicked can enjoy these things now because as long as we are alive and in the world, God is here with us, with both the righteous and the wicked and he pours his blessings on the righteous and the wicked.
Hell is simply a place where God isn't. His absence means all that comes from him and all the blessings that we have experienced from him in this life is absent as well. If you simply don’t want to be in the presense of God, that is simply what you will get.

Quote:

My other point, in the original post, was that I can apply the same logic you applied to God and Heaven towards God and Hell. Applying it, your answer was "you believed a lot of Satan's lies". That doesn't sound like a caring Christian who has full trust of his God and gives himself in on every aspect of his life, but simply a dogma-entrenched sheepy believer that tries to hide behind the finger.

Sorry, I forgot what we were talking about and I haven’t the time to go back and read it.
If you want me to answer, go ahead and bring all the info forward in your next post.

Quote:

Parable is a bit flawed. I have to lower my moral standards with quite some degrees of magnitude before I get on death row in the first place. And I have no idea what I would do then, honestly, because my moral standards aren't that low.
Sin is sin. If you sin, your moral standards are low. For where you break the least commandment, you have broken God’s entire law.

Quote:

Quote:

Rogormorits wrote:
Don't get yourself overconfident, buster. You don't live every moment in full trust and unconditional surrender to God either. If you did, you would have the power to shatter my arguments, and not fall into obvious traps like the Easter Island dilemma, and you won't give hide-behind-the-finger answers either.

I am not sure how you think I am being overconfident when I say” I am not perfect either” ? Isn’t that an admission of my own failings before God?

Quote:
I didn't ask him to do that. He's a tyrant, and even if I believed in him, I couldn't love him. And he knows that. He killed or specifically ordered the death of millions for absolutely no good reason,
No good reason? Centuries of wickedness and evil is no good reason? They sacrificed their children in fire and that is no good reason?

Quote:

Quote:

Rigor wrote:
I don't deny that you have a complicated and intricate way of thinking, but could you explain me what you wanted to say?

Well if you think there should be no justice served in Hell, then we should have never tried to stop Hitler. You believe Hell is unjust. If Hell is unjust, then stopping Hitler was unjust also.

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Echo:  Quote: Well the

Echo: 

Quote:
Well the kid you described is me. I was born into an unbelieving family. I was filled with fear about God, I was taught that he was a wrathful mean tyrant who will send me to Hell. Etc. etc. But he somehow saved me.

So you HAD the knowledge of God. You knew, at least partially, how to identify it. I mean, at least you knew his name. The kid I'm referring to is NOT you then. That kid has absolutely no idea who God is, and has never heard the names "God", "Yahweh" or "Elohim", or whatever his real name is. He has had no contacts with Christianity throughout his entire life. He has no idea what "Bible" means, he has no idea that at some point there might have been a "messiah", actually, he has no idea what a "messiah" is. That kid, as I said, is NOT you.

Now care to answer my question and not dodge it?

Quote:
I didn't choose complete injustice. The Bible teaches that we can find God if we look for him.

And I've just given you a real example in which it DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Quote:
Nope, not at all. You just need to study it more to see that the contraditions are from within yourself and not the Bible.

Please... I can spend several days ennumerating only the major ideological flaws of Christianity. And I sincerely doubt you have the capacity to answer them all. Refer to Rook's Biblical Errancy section for a starter.

Quote:
Do a word search at biblegateway. Type in slave.
The Bible teaches that Slaves can be free.

Yes... at a certain point, they may be free. But that doesn't change the situation of themselves being slaves. Don't dodge.

Quote:
Why a Hell? Would you want to live forever with an unrepentant Hitler?

I have the power to oppose his reign, I have the chance to try and gather as many people as I can, organize them and try ending his reign by imprisoning him forever. I have the chance to spend years building a spaceship to which then spend an eternity going from galaxy to galaxy if things on Earth get rotten... I have sooooo many possibilities... So yes, I would.

Quote:
Hell is simply the absense of God. If God is not there, then no good is there, no light, no peace, no love, no happiness, no joy, no painlessness, nothing considered good. for all these things come from God. If God is not there, then these things are not there either.

That's what you think. To me, it seems that Satan is actually the good guy in the story (and yes, I know you're going to say that I am under the spell of Satan or something on the lines of that - I'm not interested in sermons or exorcisms). Tell me, who was it that cast Adam and Eve out of Heaven in the first place? Was it Satan? No, it was God. Who was it that ordered the children of Egypt killed? Was it Satan? No, it was God. Who was it that struck with lightning some poor bloke for touching... what was the name of that thing... that artifact through which God presumably spoke, the only thing (except for the holy tent) to which the Bible gives quite detailed construction descriptions? Who was it that summoned bears to kill the children for calling a bald man "bald" ? Who is it that is keen on destroying the world at some point? Who is it that created Hell as a place of torture? Who is it in the name of which numerous wars have been mongered, and so many people have been brutally tortured or killed? Is it Satan? No, it's God. So spare me the "no good in the absence of God", and also spare me the "belief in God and Christ makes you, by definition, good", because I'm not convinced.

Quote:
Hell is simply a place where God isn't. His absence means all that comes from him and all the blessings that we have experienced from him in this life is absent as well. If you simply don’t want to be in the presense of God, that is simply what you will get.

Show me exactly how you came to that conclusion.

Quote:
Sin is sin. If you sin, your moral standards are low. For where you break the least commandment, you have broken God’s entire law.

We romanians have a phrase: "This fits the context just as well as the walnut fits the wall."

Quote:
I am not sure how you think I am being overconfident when I say” I am not perfect either” ? Isn’t that an admission of my own failings before God?

Forget it. I wanted to have a point, considering what you said before, but I'm not too keen on searching old and unimportant pieces of discussion.

Quote:
No good reason? Centuries of wickedness and evil is no good reason? They sacrificed their children in fire and that is no good reason?

WHAT centuries of wickedness and evil? Compared to what followed in the Dark Ages, due to precisely your loving saviour Christ, those ancient "BC" centuries almost look like bliss.

Quote:
Well if you think there should be no justice served in Hell, then we should have never tried to stop Hitler. You believe Hell is unjust. If Hell is unjust, then stopping Hitler was unjust also.

No, Echo, it wasn't. Not even Hitler deserves to be infinitely punished for a finite sin.

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Now care to answer

Quote:

Now care to answer my question and not dodge it?

All people will be without excuse

Romans 1:18 "18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. "

Quote:

Yes... at a certain point, they may be free. But that doesn't change the situation of themselves being slaves. Don't dodge.

1 corinthians 7:21 "Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so."

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

deinonychai
deinonychai's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
Christians: Argue against this. Atheists: Tell me where I went right and where I went wrong.

In keeping with the banality of analytic tradition: "three words" require eight minutes and forty seconds of my time. 

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
deinonychai

deinonychai wrote:

BenfromCanada wrote:

In keeping with the banality of analytic tradition: "three words" require eight minutes and forty seconds of my time.

So...are you going to tell me where I went wrong? Obviously, I used more than 3 words, essentially, it was "ask a christian this 3 word, yes or no question. Depending on how they answer, either they proved the bible to be wrong or Jesus to be sinful, and therefore disproved their religion". So, yeah.

I'll get to your PM and post soon, Echo. 

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: All people will be

Quote:
All people will be without excuse

Romans 1:18 "18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. "

God said that he revealed to every man, but he didn't, and I've just given you an example in which he didn't. It wouldn't be the first time he lied. I have never heard of anyone suddenly saying "mom, what's this bullshit called Yamma [replace with any god's name] in which we believe, I know from the depth of my heart that the real god is Yahweh...", and you haven't either. If god "revealed" himself so well, how is it that at least half of the Earth's almost 7 billion population is completely oblivious to his existence?

Quote:
1 corinthians 7:21 "Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so."

You did precisely what I told you NOT to do. I know that slaves can win freedom, but it's the actual concept of slavery that I'm interested in. Again, don't dodge.

Echo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:how is it that at

Quote:
how is it that at least half of the Earth's almost 7 billion population is completely oblivious to his existence?

The verse answered the question for you. It says:

"men who suppress the truth by their wickedness"

God revealls himself in many and various ways. 

In creation, in the human creation, In the earth, the stars, the sky, animals, the institution of family and marriage, in our  conscience, in a baby in a manger who died for all so that all may have eternal life if they simply just believed in him, God revealls himself through a friendly Christian, through the love of others, through healing by physicians, through food to eat,  the list is endless!

In Eden, then after the flood and then when Jesus came, the whole world heard the message and some suppressed the truth in their wickedness, they moved to other continents and worshipped whatever they wanted. Mostly, themselves.  

Is God to be held accountable to have mercy on those who despise him? No. But he has had mercy on everyone in his son Jesus. Even though none of us deserves it.

If an easter islander wanted to know the one true God, could God rescue him? Yes. With out a doubt.

Quote:

You did precisely what I told you NOT to do. I know that slaves can win freedom, but it's the actual concept of slavery that I'm interested in. Again, don't dodge.

Not dodging anything, I am just not so sure the point you are trying to make. 

The word "slaves" can be taken literally, indeed at the time the NT was written, there were slaves in the sense in which I think you mean.

Also, we can take the word "slaves" and bring it up to date in our age. Do we still have slavery? Yes, in a sense.

When we work for someone, we are that company's slave.

I don't believe the Bible promotes slavery in the sense that you are thinking about. While it is true and did happen, God let it happen or rather, he allowed it. Why? Well in those days, people would be without food, clothing and shelter and so it was the only way that people could eat and live. It was in a sense, a source of income. Of course people will abuse their slaves and treat them unfairly. But that would be no different than today having a boss that abuses us and treats us unfairly. Does that mean that God is against us getting jobs? No.

It is good for us to work and make a living so that we can enjoy God's blessings. That doesn't mean that God is promoting wicked and evil employers.

says the LORD.
they shall be like wool.

Member of WELS

Poledourus (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Random...

Since there are too many things written on this forum for me to address, I will simply get to a few of my favorites.

Someone did the whole "3 word" thing to 'prove' Christianity. By saying Rome really existed, Judea really existed, etc. Dude, at least make an effort. Alpha-Centauri really exists too, does that mean that lizard guy from The Last Starfighter is real?

In ancient times, Kings and other regional leaders did certain things to bolster their image. One of the things they did was have a family history written. These genealogies were VERY often embellished, to make the Kings (or whomever) lineage come from a mythical/historical leader of great importance. Many European Kings claimed to descend from King Arthur, for example. The reason their people believed these writings to be true was because they always used real historical names, places, dates, battles, etc. to lend credibility to the story. Biblical authors were no different. Fact and fiction intertwine, and real settings, people, and events are added for credibilities sake.

Another thing. Someone mentioned the Papacy having Antichrist-like traits. I agree. Then someone else retorted with Pope John Paul II and his peace efforts, etc. It was mentioned that he apologized for "past mistakes" of the Church. Had a secular government played so large a role in the mass murdering of millions of people and entire civilizations throughout history, the destruction of education and science, the oppression of women, and such widespread hatred and ignorance, these would not have been considered "mistakes". And no ammount of apologizing would EVER have been accepted.

Also, some people obviously want to have it both ways.

Archaeology has uncovered things that may or may not prove certain biblical events. But you cant pick and choose here. Archaeologists have also uncovered things that are extremely contrary to biblical teachings. I wont mention dinosaurs.

Here is something.

Fact: The speed of light, as in a photon, can be scientifically measured.

Fact: The distance to a star can be scientifically measured.

Now, take those two measurements. The fact that you can even see a star means that our own galaxy can be measured, at the very least, to be hundreds of millions of years old and in all likelihood, much, much older.

Anyway, that is all I have for now.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Ok, here's where your

Ok, here's where your argument falls apart. It's a very, very, very small technicality, but everything else hinges upon it:

Sin is disobedience to the Will of God.

Christians hold Jesus is God.

Ergo, Jesus' will IS the Will of God, and it is by definition impossible to sin, because he is adhering to his own will.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

random person from no where (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
you cannot prove or disprove christianity

you cannot prove or disprove christianity