Do people still think Hitler was an atheist?

Dave_G
Dave_G's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do people still think Hitler was an atheist?

“My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice. And as a man I have the duty to see to it that human society does not suffer the same catastrophic collapse as did the civilization of the ancient world some two thousand years ago — a civilization which was driven to its ruin through this same Jewish people.

“Then indeed when Rome collapsed there were endless streams of new German bands flowing into the Empire from the North; but, if Germany collapses today, who is there to come after us? German blood upon this earth is on the way to gradual exhaustion unless we pull ourselves together and make ourselves free!

“And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exploited.”

Guess who said that.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians seem to fear the

Christians seem to fear the rule of rationality because they think that someone is going to sit down and think of a very good reason for killing lots of people. That's why we get this fraudulent arguements about Hitler/Stalin/Mao - they are trying to illustrate this idea that without religious teaching as a kind of check that is immune to reason, you run the risk of being able to justify these kinds of acts.

The lesson of history is that reason was not guiding any of these men and that they each did horrible damage to their countries and the world. They may have acheived short term wealth and power for themselves, but their nations never acheived the goals that they set for them. If the political culture of any of these countries had been dominated by rational discourse, none of these men would have been able to get the political support they needed. And in the case of Hitler, religion was very much his ally in getting support for what he wanted to do. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown