ASUFI thoughts in the wrong thread (not one of the religions are completely correct)

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
ASUFI thoughts in the wrong thread (not one of the religions are completely correct)

Truth comes from everywhere. All religions and non-religions. Not a single one got it just right. Therefore, I choose to take pieces from all of them, if the pieces fit with me, the times and the place. It is all relevent. I am not extreme, I try not to push my beliefs onto others and I so believe in natural remedies. Am I headed down the wrong path?Embarassed

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
quote=asufi] Am I headed

asufi wrote:
Am I headed down the wrong path?

Maybe. The one thing for sure is this is in the wrong place if you want your questions answered.

So the response to "It is all relevant." is:

No it isn't. 

For the FAQ:

Q: What about natural remedies?

A: If there are demonstrable benefits to a 'natural' method of healing then it would be something we could analyze. It would not fall into an irrational category if it were scientifically analyzed for value.

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotes]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please confer with me

Hi!  Iguess this is the wrong site.  I wanted direct answeres, not "hang around and keep reading".  I'm too smart for that, I mean that I would get bored.  I don't want to hear a about your members personal tragedies regarding their fanatical upbringings.  I am aware of the attrocities perpetrated in the name of religion.  I want more than that. 

I found this site while researching miracles and it brought me to pps.  I thought I could confer with members, but they just keep saying stick around.  That is not what I want.  As a sufi I accept everyone.  Furthermore, rrs seems to be an 'anti' religion, which makes it a religion.  Therefor, I need to understand rrs like any other religion.  This is why I am here.  But, rrs seems to covet it's information.  Why?

Also, I really do not understand why rrs wants to take down Christianity.  Let them have their comfort.  If you wish to continue covetting your information, do you at least have directions to point me in.  A book or site to go to.  Or shall I just leave.

Moreover, I think that science is is not truth.  It is inexact.  The only universal thing one can learn on earth is math.  The rest are all theories.  If herbs were not useful, why then are the big drug companies getting into the swing of things.  Conglomerates are trying to take over.  If natural remedies were a waste, why would people spend more money on them, when medicine is usually cheaper or at least covered by their plans?

my regards, asufi

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
please confer with me

I wrote a long response to you, but there was a fatal error.  Not sure why.  It seems to me that rrs covets it's information.  Can you a least recammend research for me to figure this out.  I'm not into the personal tragedies that your members have suffered in the name of religion.  I am well aware of the attocities extolled in the name of religion.  Correct me I am wrong, but rrs seems to be an antireligion.  Doesn't that make it a religion?  As a sufi, that is what I want to learn about.  I accept all religions, including yours.  But, I need to understand yours.  Please don't tell me to stick around and read the forums.  Show me your info and research if you have some.  I like science, but it is limitted.  Not exact or a truth.  Natural remedies would not be a preferred choice for me if they did not work.  I would choose what is covered by my drug plan, if that worked for me, but it is only poison.  Nutritionals and whole foods work much better for me.  Even if this only demonstrates the placebo effect.  It works for me.  Why take it away?  What ever works is good.  In conclusion I'm sure you can see the paralell here.  Thanks you for your rsponse,  Laura

my regards, asufi

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's with all the fatal

What's with all the fatal errors.  I can't be bothered now after I wrote such long responses, sory.  Thanks anyway.  Lara

my regards, asufi

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
too many fatal errors trying

too many fatal errors trying to respond properly.  I am not satisfied.  Please tell me more or point me in some direction of research into your (RRS) beliefs.  Please don't covet the info, as everyone else on this site seems to.  It appears to me that you are an anti-christian group who have suffered from the attrocities committed in the name of religion.  Therefor RRS is a religion.  As a Sufi, I want to understand RRS out of respect.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Are you going to help me or shall I leave this site alone?  Laura

my regards, asufi

asufi
Theist
asufi's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did not seek you out

I was researching miracles when your site came up.  As a Sufi, I wanted to explore and understand, so that I could respect you as a religion (anti-religions are still religions).  I keep getting the 'run-around'.  Why can't you answere certain questions (most, actually).  Aren't you covetting your info.This is my last attempt at trying to understand your beliefs.  I would like directions.  Then, I will leave this site alone.  thanks, Laura (the sufi).Innocent 

my regards, asufi

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're nuts.

You're nuts.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

A bit about the RSS and the problems with religion:
You seem to see religion as something that might or might not be true, but so long as it enrichens lives then it can't be all bad. Judging by your posts, you see religion as a personal view on the world that you wouldn't force on somebody else and don't see why it's a big deal.

To be honest, if all religious beliefs were like yours then RRS would probably not exist. To really understand RRS, take a week or so to visit the Bible Belt, introduce yourself and your worldview to some of the local churches. It might be that you don't get critcised. You will learn an important thing or two about their theology - their religion isn't about what 'feels good' or 'what seems to work'. They believe that there's one truth and the rest is false, one righteousness and the rest should burn in hell. They aren't satisfied to live and let live and if left unchecked they challenge the rights of non-believers. The reason why RRS came about is that non-believers have had enough of these idiots trying to step all over them.

So why attack all religion rather than just the 'nasty' ones?
Because we're using the approach 'it's not reasonable', we can't make exceptions without lying. (although we don't criticise a 'religious' belief that is rational, perhaps then it is no longer religious?) Is attacking a 'nice' religion in the crossfire a real tragedy? I don't think so. I used to have some quasi-religious beliefs, and I eventually found that the best things about them became better once I dropped the mysticism and tried to get a clearer understanding of the concepts through reason. So encouraging people to take a more rational approach to their beliefs is always a good thing.

Maybe your worldview suits you.
Maybe you're happy in your little bubble.
I'm afraid that if you hang around here that we might just burst it.
Although I think it'll benefit you in the long run, it'll be a bit uncomfortable in the meantime. Either way, welcome to RSS. Smile

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had a PM exchange with

I had a PM exchange with her, I think she is honestly looking for answers. She seemed to be getting frustrated. In the last message she told me she had added RRS to her favorites and she will be back.

I hope she stays and finds ALL the answers she needs, I told her everyone here would love to help her answer her questions. 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like her browser was

Looks like her browser was giving her grief.
She didn't think that her posts were getting through due to error messages.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also stated that to her.

I also stated that to her. It may be her browser or browser settings giving the error messages and nothing to do with the site. She was sincerely apologetic.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I get those fatal error

I get those fatal error messages everytime I post myself. All you have to do is click the "back" button twice.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Matt, do you use Firefox? I

Matt, do you use Firefox? I never seem to get those issues and I only use Firefox.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No. I us IE and I refuse to

No. I us IE and I refuse to do something as drastic as changing my browser.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
It really not that drastic.

It really not that drastic. You can keep both browsers, no need to get rid of IE. Download it and try it, if it works better you may WANT to change then.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well I tried months ago

Well I tried months ago downloading the newest version of IE and it sucked. Took me forever to figure out how to delete it and never was able to figure out how to use it. I'm about as un-computer literate as a person can be and don't want to risk doing something I won't be able to change back.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, if you download

Well, if you download Firefox it appears as a new program and is very easy to remove if you do not like it through "Add/Remove programs". Reverting to a previous version of IE is a little more complicated and I cansee why it may have deterred you from installing firefox.

Really it very easy, I don't want to "Tell" you to do it but it may solve some of the error problems you are having.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had problems with IE,

I had problems with IE, too... So I had install firefox on my work computer... I don't think anyone has noticed yet.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use firefox, and I get the

I use firefox, and I get the error message too.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Once I installed FF, I

Once I installed FF, I never looked back.

GOGOGO tabbed browsing. 

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
asufi wrote: I found this

asufi wrote:

I found this site while researching miracles and it brought me to pps.  I thought I could confer with members, but they just keep saying stick around.  That is not what I want.  As a sufi I accept everyone.  Furthermore, rrs seems to be an 'anti' religion, which makes it a religion.

You appear to want to talk about things that matter. This most definitely is not a thing that matters. You can call atheism a religion if you want. Atheism is a theological position, so you can call it theological. But it is not a religiously held belief in any normal sense of "religious."

Quote:
Also, I really do not understand why rrs wants to take down Christianity.  Let them have their comfort.  If you wish to continue covetting your information, do you at least have directions to point me in.  A book or site to go to.  Or shall I just leave.
So you defend believing a falsehood as long as it's comforting? Sorry, I can't agree with you there.

Quote:
Moreover, I think that science is is not truth.  It is inexact.  The only universal thing one can learn on earth is math.  The rest are all theories.  If herbs were not useful, why then are the big drug companies getting into the swing of things.  Conglomerates are trying to take over.  If natural remedies were a waste, why would people spend more money on them, when medicine is usually cheaper or at least covered by their plans?

True: Science is not truth. But science does employ the principle of truth, and therefore relies on math, and anyone honestly engaged in science is seeking truth whether he finds it or not.

Of course herbs can be useful. The question is whether one can test the effectiveness of a treatment. If you can't, then you have no right to claim it as a treatment. If you can, then it is plain old medicine and not 'alternative' in any way.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
First, it would probably

First, it would probably help if you asked specific questions instead of "am I going down the wrong path?" in regards to picking what works for you from multiple religions. Unless, of course, I misunderstood your question [which is always possible].

It does sound a lot like you're having browser problems. I am about the most techno-challenged person around, but if I can download FireFox, anyone can. It won't overlay anything you have now - it's a whole application all by itself.

Here is a link to a previous discussion why Atheism is not a religion.

Specifically:

Atheism/theism deals with what one believes or disbelieves. A theist is someone who believes in a god; theism is the belief in god. atheism--from theism with the prefix a-, which denotes the lack of--means lack of theism

Agnosticism, from the Greek a- and gnosis (knowledge), means lack of knowledge. This deals with epistemology--what one knows--and I would argue that everyone is an agnostic (I don't agree with those that say they know a god exists or with anyone who says taht they know that no god exists).

[EDIT to add link to why Atheism is not a religion] 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Espresso Kid
Espresso Kid's picture
User is offlineOffline
asufi wrote: I was

asufi wrote:
I was researching miracles when your site came up. 

Have you ever considered the possebility, that the search and desire for miracles are only a search of getting everything served on a silver platter. A way of avoiding doing any hard work yourself?

asufi wrote:

As a Sufi, I wanted to explore and understand, so that I could respect you as a religion (anti-religions are still religions). 

No. Atheism is not a religion. There is no worshipping or faith involved, nor any rites. You can excuse your own belief by applying something that you don´t agree with, with fallacies and assumption, but that does make you any more right.

asufi wrote:
I keep getting the 'run-around'.  Why can't you answere certain questions (most, actually).  Aren't you covetting your info.This is my last attempt at trying to understand your beliefs.  I would like directions.  Then, I will leave this site alone.  thanks, Laura (the sufi).Innocent 

Fire away - Hit me! As a Theravada Buddhist of 22 years I think I can handle your question about the atheist practise.

Slayne
Slayne's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Being a Linux user Fire

Being a Linux user Fire Fox is the only real logical choice unles I want Open-source I use The open-source Version of FF Called Ice-Weasel.

Been Microsoft free for over a year now. yay me. 

If God didn't want atheists than we wouldn't exist..