User is offlineOffline
My 'Debate' with Kelly Tripplehorn from the "Stanford Challenge"

I decided to email the fellow running the 'Stanford Challenge'

http://i53network.org/The_Stanford_Challenge.html

Here are our exchanges.

#1 Todangst to Tripplehorn

Dear Kelly:

From your site, you write:

"If you answered that the law of noncontradiction is material, then in order to collect your money, you must give an empirical demonstration"

What other types of demonstration are there?

"of where the law of noncontradiction is located."

Simple. In a brain. The demonstration is that I can provide you with the law by telling you about it.

"Moreover, you must tell us, in pounds, the exact weight of the law of noncontradiction."

The law is encoded, neurochemically, in my brain. The bundle of neurons devoted to the concept are in my cerebral cortex... I don't see much value in giving you a weight for these neurons...

"Lastly, if you claim that the law of noncontradiction is located in an object like a symbolic logic textbook, then you must prove that if the textbook was destroyed, the law of noncontradiction would perish with it."

The concept is created a priori, whenever a sentient brain contemplates existence. One concept, multiple representations.

Now, you tell me: how can something exist immaterially? How can an idea exist without a brain? You use the term 'immaterial, I have a challenge for you:

Give me a (positive) ontology for 'immateriality' that does not steal from materialism Do not provide a completely negative description, ( i.e. devoid of any universe of discourse). I offer you 5300 dollars if you succeed.

From Kelly to todangst #2

Thank you for your email.

If the law of non-contradiction is material, then the laws of logic in my brain are different from the laws of logic in your brain. If i said that 2+2=5, and you said that 2+2=4, how would you settle that dispute. Because you see, i could just appeal to my personal laws of logic that exist in my brain, and you could then appeal to your personal laws of logic that exist in your brain. The laws of logic then becomes subjective, and rational discourse is impossible. Anyone could say anything, and they would be right since they are appealing to the laws of logic that exist inside their brain.

The only way to resolve this contradiction is to appeal to a transcendent principal that exists outside of ourselves that governs both of us (and the principal remains true whether or not we agree with it).

Secondly, you write, "How can an idea exist without a brain?"

Is it your position that man created the laws of logic or discovers the laws of logic because if he created the laws of logic, then that means before the evolution of the first brain, 2 plus 2 did equal 5 (and 6, 7, 8,9,10, etc.). So i guess i am asking did man create math or discover math? For if man created math, then what is from stopping me from creating my own math (such as having a system where 2+2=5), and how would you go about trying to rationally prove me wrong.

Yours
Kelly

From Todangst to Kelly #3

Hello,

If the law of non-contradiction is material, then the laws of logic in my brain are different from the laws of logic in your brain.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. There is one universe, impacting upon similar brains, in a similar fashion. For any particular law of logic, we have one law, based on one definition, and multiple representations of that law, in material brains, or books, etc. And we would expect this to be so, since we would expect the same universe with one set of basic metaphysics, to have the same impact on similar brains.

Your response is a basic error that leaves out the fact that the universe is a singular constant. Once you recognize this error, you see that the assumption that there would be 'different laws of logic' is unsubstantiated.

>If i said that 2+2=5, and you said that 2+2=4, how would you settle that dispute. Because you see, i could just appeal to my personal laws of logic that exist in my brain, and you could then appeal to your personal laws of logic that exist in your brain.

This comment is defeated by my above points. One universe with one basic metaphysics. One definition, multiple representations. You must explain how different brains could possibly, sanely glean different metaphysics, given ONE universe with one basic metaphysics.

Hint: You can't.

The only way to resolve this contradiction is to appeal to a transcendent principal that exists outside of ourselves that governs both of us (and the principal remains true whether or not we agree with it).

The only way to solve the 'contradiction' is to refer to the rules that govern the numbers 2 and 4. We can expect that two minds can conceive of the same rule, given that the universe itself is the constant, with its one basic metaphysics.

Secondly, you write, "How can an idea exist without a brain?"

Is it your position that man created the laws of logic or discovers the laws of logic because if he created the laws of logic, then that means before the evolution of the first brain, 2 plus 2 did equal 5 (and 6, 7, 8,9,10, etc.).

You didn't answer the question. In fact you ran from it. So I'll ask it again:

How can an idea exist without a brain. For you to make your claims, you have to be able to answer this question. Please don't respond with another argument from ignorance.

Can you also provide an ontology for immateriality that doesn't steal from materialism? Oh, and please don't send a list of negatives, provide a postive set of attributions.

Thanks.

Kelly to todangst #4

Hello Chris, Thank you for your reply. For this email, I am going to assume that you are an atheist but if you are not, i am sorry that i might have misrepresented your positions. You write that "the universe is a singular constant" How do you know that. Do you now have an answer for Hume regarding the problem of induction. First, you are going to have to establish that the universe is a singular constant, and if you cannot establish that, then there is no reason for someone to say that different laws of logic exist in my brain than from your brain. You write, "How can an idea exist without a brain" My answer is that no idea can exist apart from the mind of God. I will now ask you the question that did math exist before the evolution of a brain. So when 2 organisms were laying next to 2 other organisms, were there 4 total organisms, or does a brain have to authorize that there are 4 total organisms for there to be 4 total organisms. If a brain is not there to authorize the 4 organisms, are there then 5 total organisms. My positive ontology is the Bible as interpreted in the Westminster Confession of Faith. (this is my first principal.) Below is something i wrote to someone else. I am copy and pasting it so that you might better understand my position. The ONLY valid way to argue for the Bible is to presuppose it and if you do not, I completely undermine my own argument. Here is why. "You are right, i cannot prove the Bible, if i did, then i would simply undermine my own position since the Bible is suppose to be believed on by faith, and not on logic. The Bible is my ultimate authority, and if seek to use extra-biblical principals (such as autonomous logic, archeology, autonomous science, etc.) to prove the bible, then those extra-biblical principals become my ultimate authority, and thus i undermine my own position.

The Bible is therefore my axiom, I assume that it is true, and then test it. We do the same thing with math, we assume math is true, and therefore we are able to "know" that 2+2=4. We cannot prove math with math without begging the question. We are all forced to beg the question somewhere, but i as a Christian only beg the question once, that is, with the Bible, and through the Bible, i am able to understand the rest of reality." Your first principal is yourself (i assume), and if you presuppose yourself as your ultimate epistemological authority, you can literally know nothing. I believe i establish that on the third question on the 5300 Challenge. Well anyway, thanks for your email. I look forward to hearing from you. Kelly p.s. the next email i receive from you, i may not respond right away. I am pretty busy in general, so please be patient... Talk so you soon.

Todangst to Kelly #6

Hello Chris, Thank you for your reply. For this email, I am going to assume that you are an atheist but if you are not, i am sorry that i might have misrepresented your positions. You write that "the universe is a singular constant" How do you know that.

Hi Kelly.

You are misreading my words as if they are an inductive statement. Instead, I am providing you with simple, basic metaphysics. To exist is to exist as something, to have identity. We know these things axiomatically. We know them a priori.

These axioms are defended through retortion. Any attempt to refute them must rely upon them.

From the fact that something exists, and that it exists as something, and not it's own negation, we have a basic metaphysical basis for deduction.

Do you now have an answer for Hume regarding the problem of induction.

You probably don't know what the 'problem' actually is. You probably, mistakenly, believe that the 'problem' is that one must assume a "uniformity of nature" as both a necessary and sufficient grounds for induction.

This post will refute your commonly held misperceptions as to what the problem is:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/an_easy_argument_to_refute_van_tillian_calvinist_presuppositionalism

And this post will show why there's no 'real problem' with induction:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/why_the_problem_of_induction_really_isnt_a_problem_and_why_theists_dont_even_get_it_right

Even Hume himself argued that induction was not irrational, but merey without an axiomized foundation. However this problem was solved by Kolmogov in 1933.

I have a lengthy examination of Hume's work if you'd like to read it... (have you ever even read his work, let alone the centuries of philosophical responses to it? Do you even know what the 'problem' is?

In addition, you probably are unaware that the scientific method is both inductive and deductive, working from statistical probabily and falsification, meaning that the 'problem of induction' is simply not a problem to science at all.

> First, you are going to have to establish that the universe is a singular constant

I've already answered this: This is simple, basic metaphysics.

You write, "How can an idea exist without a brain" My answer is that no idea can exist apart from the mind of God.

That is not an answer. It's a naked assertion, that relies on an incoherent term "god"

To actualy answer, you must provide:

1) an ontology for immateriality that does not steal from materialism.

2) A method for demonstrating how ideas can exist part from brains.

Please do so in your next response, or concede that you are unable to do so.

I will now ask you the question that did math exist before the evolution of a brain.

No a priori system can exist without a brain, and a universe/set of constants.But this does not mean that people can ignore the basic metaphysics of our universe, so it is not a grounds for arguing that math is entirely subjective or random.

Now, I will again ask you to answer my question above.

My positive ontology is the Bible as interpreted in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
(this is my first principal.)

This is NOT an ontology for immateriality. The bible does not provide a positive ontology for immateriality, or 'transcendence"

Please be honest with yourself and concede that you don't have an answer.

Below is something i wrote to someone else. I am copy and pasting it so that you might better understand my position.

I understand your position - you don't actually have one. Your inability to answer my questions is proof... now, all I need you to do is recognize this. addendum: Here is my lengthy examination of Hume's "An Enquiry Concerning the Human Understanding"

http://candleinthedark.com/hume.html

Now, honestly ask yourself:

Have you actually, really, read Hume?
Have you critically examined what you read?
Have you really understood what the 'problem' is?
Do you realize that even Hume, the one who recognized the problem, was not unseating induction?
Do you know Hume's own solution?
Do you know what the 'arguing to inductive uncertainy' fallacy is?
Have you read the wealth of philosophical responses to Hume?
Do you know the various methods in science that have arisen to deal with the problem? (Hints: statistical probability, falsification)?

If you can't answer these questions, you have no business debating this issue.
Kelly to todangst, #6

I understand the problem of induction enough to know that it cannot be justified, and even if the SEP recognized that you justified your inductive inference with some formula (Bayes' theorem, etc.), then you would still need to justify how you know that formula would continue to operate uniformly in the future. Hume did not take his problem of induction far enough because he did not include math as part of the problem. For instance, every time he added 2+2, he got 4. The next time he added 2+2, there is no way he could have known that he would have gotten 5. In the same way that he could not know that fire caused hotness, he also could not know that 2+2 caused 4. The laws could change at anytime. So my question to you then is how do you know that 2+2 could not equal 5 in the next 10 minutes. Unless the non-Christian knows everything, he can know nothing (and not even that). In order for your answer to be self sufficient you must base it off your first principal (which is yourself). If you simply axiomize math as an independent principal, this is not an acceptable answer, and you have not justified how you know that the laws of math will continue to operate the same in the past as they have in the future. I, as a Christian, can bring back all my information to my first principal, and i expect you to be able to do the same.

In regards to my positive ontology. If you go to the bottom of the 5300 challenge, you will note that i answered all the questions i posed. Lastly, i have already told you that an idea can exist apart from a human brain because all ideas originate in the mind of God. I could not be more clear on this.

If in your next answer you cannot tell me how it is that you are 100% certain, without simply axiomizing your answer, that the laws of math will continue to operate the same way in the future as they have in the past, then there is a good chance you may not receive an email back from me.

I apologize fthat the tone of this email came off harsh.

Anyhow, i do look forward to hearing from you again.

Yours
Kelly

p.s. I noticed that your email was hanniballecturer. Are you a professor?

todangst to Kelly #8

Hello Chris,

I understand the problem of induction enough to know that it cannot be justified,

Kelly you don't understand what the "problem' actually is, nor do you seem to even have a understanding of the centuries of philosophical responses to the 'problem'. In order to debate an issue, you have to actually know what your opponent's position is, and be able to argue it as well as he or she can.

I think that the "problem of induction" is only a problem because: a) Some people look for certainty in induction, when induction is probablistic b) historically, the problem arose before probability theory was mature and c) People assume that a 'problem of induction' somehow justifies questioning induction itself, when in fact this would be a logical fallacy: a reason to doubt an outcome is not a reason to reject the outcome in of itself. You need negating evidence to reject the prediction outright. These are just some of the errors implicit in your misunderstanding of induction.

If you don't look for certainty, and you know about modern probability and statistics, the problem of induction is not a problem at all. The whole (deductively-created) theory of probability and statistics is dedicated to telling us something about "populations" from "samples." It's made for induction.

Basically, today, logicians only see the 'problem' as a problem if and only if one holds to inductive arguments as if they were deductive. The fact that some people are unsatisfied with the various solutions to the problem is hardly a reason to reject induction.

Oh, and the idea that induction can be 'justified' by 'assuming god' is utterly nonsensical. You can't even provide a positive ontology for your claim. Please read here for more:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/supernatural_and_immaterial_are_broken_concepts

And assuming a 'uniformity of god' is even more problematic than assuming a 'uniformity of nature." Please also understand that simply asserting 'the bible is your ontology' is just ridiculous. You know that's not an answer. It's a dodge.

>and even if the SEP recognized that you justified your inductive inference with some formula (Bayes' theorem, etc.), then you would still need to justify how you know that formula would continue to operate uniformly in the future.

You really don't know what the problem is. You assume, erroneously, that the assumption of "uniformity of nature" is both a necessary and sufficient condition for justifying induction and that logicans actually rely on this as a 'response'. This is a common error - usually seen in people who've never read Hume or any philosophical response to Hume.

Science does NOT attempt to justify induction by using the assumption of a uniformity of nature: (Science also works through falsification (rejecting the null hypothesis) and statistical probability, not 'induction', so this is yet another response to the problelm you are probably unaware of...)

From one of the essays I sent to you:

As already mentioned previously, the assumption of a uniformity of nature is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for building inferences from the past to the future. So the assumption is not only circular, it simply fails to provide a justification for such inferences. In addition, Howson & Urbach point out, assuming a uniformity of nature is doubly a nonsolution, since it's a fairly empty assumption. For how is nature uniform? And what, really, are we talking about. What would really be needed are millions upon millions of uniformity assumptions for each item under discussion. We'd need one for the melting temperature of water, of iron, of nickel, etc, etc. For example "block of ice x will melt at 0 Celsius;" for these types of assumptions actually say something. Furthermore, the uniformity of nature assumptions fall prey to meta-uniformity issues - for how are we to know that nature will always be uniform? Well, we have to assume that too. And how do we know that the uniformity of nature is uniform? Ad infinitum. So, to "solve" the philosphical problem of justifying induction by uniformity of nature solutions doesn't really work.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/why_the_problem_of_induction_really_isnt_a_problem_and_why_theists_dont_even_get_it_right

I addressed this error in my previous emails to you. You don't even seem to realize that no one uses the assumption of a uniformity of nature as a sufficient justification for induction - OTHER methods are used.

You might also be interested to learn how assuming a 'uniformity of god' utterly fails to provide a justification for induction, and in fact falls to the same problems faced by someone using a uniformity of nature argument!

http://www.rationalresponders.com/an_easy_argument_to_refute_van_tillian_calvinist_presuppositionalism

> Hume did not take his problem of induction far enough because he did not include math as part of the problem. For instance, every time he added 2+2, he got 4. The next time he added 2+2, there is no way he could have known that he would have gotten 5.

Hume did not discuss mathematics under the problem of induction because math is not inductive!! Math is deductive! There is no problem of deduction! There is no need to justify deduction by assuming a uniformity of nature! Deductions are axiomatically true!

> In regards to my positive ontology. If you go to the bottom of the 5300 challenge, you will note that i answered all the questions i posed.

Kelly. Please. You have not answered a single thing concerning a positive ontology for immateriality. Please stop fooling yourself. Again, please read this essay:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/supernatural_and_immaterial_are_broken_concepts

And actually learn why your position is incoherent.

> Lastly, i have already told you that an idea can exist apart from a human brain because all ideas originate in the mind of God. I could not be more clear on this.

Actually, you could be infinitely more clear. You could begin by defining 'god' coherently, without stealing from materialism. Then you could explain how saying "ideas originate in the mind of god' actually answers the question of how something could be immaterial!

You see, the truth is, you're not answering anything.

> If in your next answer you cannot tell me how it is that you are 100% certain, without simply axiomizing your answer,

Without 'simply axiomizing my answer"? You really don't grasp how justification procedes by providing a deduced, axiomized system, do you?

Funny how you wave your hand at that, yet believe that saying "my ontology is the bible' is actually a coherent response concerning your ontology!

> that the laws of math will continue to operate the same way in the future as they have in the past,

One more time: Math is a deductive system. Mathematical truths are necessary truths. We define numbers, a priori. There is no 'problem of deduction' and deduction does not depend upon a uniformity of nature as both a necessary and sufficient justification for propostions that are tautologically true!

If you can't even figure out that math is deductive, then I see little reason to continue. You've been exposed as someone who doesn't really grasp the issue. Sorry.

I've written the following brief essay to deal with people who hold to the common errors your argument is built upon:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_materialist_account_for_abstractions_or_how_theists_misplace_the_universe

I do hope that you actually take the time to actually read Hume some day, and perhaps even learn about what induction is.... Again, I, unlike you, have actually read Hume. I actually know what the problem he identified, and you are completely misrepresenting the problem, and you simply are unaware of how logicians actually deal with the problem. Anyone who tells me that they actually think that logicians rely on 'a uniformity of nature' as the 'solution' to the problem clearly hasn't read anything written in the last 200 years.

My entry on Hume.
http://www.candleinthedark.com/hume.html

If you can't take the time to read Hume, at least read a review of the work where he discusses induction.

Take care, and good luck in your learning.

Kelly to todangst #8

Hello Chris,

This conversation we are having is worthless. In the below email, you misrepresented my position in several spots (for instance i NEVER thought that induction was certain), and on top of that, you are mocking me as if i do not understand what you are saying. Our problems (or disagreements) are not intellectual but ethical, thus debating over the email is a waste of both of our times. If you live close to the Texas area, we should schedule a public debate.

Well you will be in my prayers tonight (even though i know you dont believe in that sort of thing)

Take Care,
Kelly

Todangst to Kelly # 9

Hello Chris,

This conversation we are having is worthless.

Is it really that it's worthless, or is it that you're really not prepared for this conversation, and that you need a way to run off while saving face?

Let's test my hypothesis by seeing you go on to ignore the facts of our discussion and simply focus on your emotional reaction to the discussion.

In the below email, you misrepresented my position in several spots

You need to demonstrate this then.

>(for instance i NEVER thought that induction was certain),

And I never said that YOU said it was certain. I just said that it was a mistake to hold to induction as if it were deduction. I never said it was YOUR specific mistake, per se. So you've jumped to a conclusion and made an erroneous assumption.

And this is probably because you really don't spend much time learning about the points I've sent you.... you're too much in a rush to ignore and avoid the facts of this matter, Kelly. You really should take a look at that, and see for yourself where you're fooling yourself.

This is a complex matter, and no one should make grand pronouncements over a topic that they are fundamentally ignorant in.

> and on top of that, you are mocking me as if i do not understand what you are saying.

Well here we go, as predicted, you're hurt and this email is about your emotions.

I am not mocking you. But it is obvious that you never read Hume, that you really don't know what the 'problem' is, and that you have no idea how logicians and philosophers have dealt with the problem.

And I don't just assert that. I demonstrated that you really don't grasp the situation accurately. I showed that you held (and probably still hold) to the common error that philosophers actually try to justify induction through an assumption of a uniformity of nature. However, again, while this is a necessary condition of induction, it is not a sufficient condition for justifying induction, therefore, other means are required for justifying induction.

Rather than being open to learn about your mistake, and correct it, you choose to react to this all as an insult. You're hurt, and you wish to lash out, rather than just accept that you really don't grasp the issue.

But what's wrong with not knowing something? Isn't it better to concede some ignorance and learn from it? What about that famous christian humility?

> Our problems (or disagreements) are not intellectual but ethical,

You can say this to yourself in order to make yourself feel better, but reality dictates that our disagreements are intellectual.

> thus debating over the email is a waste of both of our times.

Again, in other words, you need to run off, while also saving face.

It's only a "waste of time" to you now that I've demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about.

Your answers concering the ontology for your postion are proof of that. Your erroneous assumptions about the use of uniformity of nature as a justification for induction are proof of that. Your inability to even recognize that math is deductive, not inductive, is proof of that.

And rather than keep this intellectual, you instead opt to focus on your wounded pride. Again, everyone is ignorant of something. I wasn't born with this information, and I once made the same sort of basic errors you make. I learned.

Why aren't you willing to learn?

Is your wounded pride too overwhelming?

> If you live close to the Texas area, we should schedule a public debate.

I don't live in Texas. However, we can debate on the Rational Response squad any day, any time.

I will also post our emails on the site, now that you've asked to go public.

I must caution you however: you cannot debate an issue over which you are fundamentally ignorant.

> Well you will be in my prayers tonight (even though i know you dont believe in that sort of thing)

And I will think for you, and learn for you, even though I know you don't believe in that sort of thing.

Take Care,
Kelly

Take care Kelly. You've been exposed. I hope you find the courage to concede this to yourself and allow this to inspire you to learn.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: A layman's

Strafio wrote:
A layman's dictionary over all the books on logic that have been ever written?

As you can see from my response, I deal with this basic error all the time. I re-printed my stock reply which demonstrates the various problems in citing the dictionary to argue a philosophical point.

In addition, I've already given our friend deductive proofs! If he has a problem with the proof, he should show the flaw in the proof.

Or concede the issue. 

gregfl wrote:
You heard it here first...to settle arguments about complex philisophical questions, resort to Websters new world college dictionary and poach two line definitions. rest your argument here, and demand that your opponent refute the dictionary. This should clear up any argument you should have. :-}

LOL!

Quote:

And once again, this guy misrepresents the arguments in this thread...now he is saying that a tautology is not the same as a deduction. That was never the point. The point was that a deduction can be rewritten into a tautology. This type of game playing makes it almost impossible to have constructive conversation.

It's not a game, it's that he doesn't know what he's talking about, so he has no other resort than to just grab at whatever seems to support his cause. 

It's like trying to save a drowning man who doesn't know how to swim - his desparate flailing away to save himself might drag you down with him.

Take a look at just how many points I've countered in his posts over the last 3 pages that he's simply walked away from. 

There's nothing wrong with conceding that you never learned logic, and that you'd like to learn it. That's all he needs to do here. Anyone who citing a fucking dictionary is telling you that he's never seen a book on logic, let alone read one.  

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
kmisho wrote:IIt's worth

kmisho wrote:
IIt's worth pointing out now that there is a difference between the technical usage of tautology and the fallacy of circular reasoning. This is the distinction that the dictionary fails to make.

I don't think our friend is ready for that yet, he has yet to concede that math is useful.

By the way, Kelly ran off when I demanded that he defend his own claim. Just like our friend here heads for the hills whenever I ask him to provide an ontology for 'god' or to demonstrate HOW 'god' provides a justification for 'logic' (which again, he never specifies)

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: kmisho

todangst wrote:

kmisho wrote:
IIt's worth pointing out now that there is a difference between the technical usage of tautology and the fallacy of circular reasoning. This is the distinction that the dictionary fails to make.

I don't think our friend is ready for that yet, he has yet to concede that math is useful.

By the way, Kelly ran off when I demanded that he defend his own claim. Just like our friend here heads for the hills whenever I ask him to provide an ontology for 'god' or to demonstrate HOW 'god' provides a justification for 'logic' (which again, he never specifies)

Maybe he's not completely stupid, then, since running away was the proper reaction. The debate tactic of having no position while attempting to do nothing but poke holes in the other position is a good one...if you can get your opponent to fall for it.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
kmisho wrote:Maybe he's

kmisho wrote:

Maybe he's not completely stupid, then, since running away was the proper reaction. The debate tactic of having no position while attempting to do nothing but poke holes in the other position is a good one...if you can get your opponent to fall for it.

When I was very young I wanted to play street hockey with the bigger kids. They put me in as a defenseman. I was able to defend well, and knock the puck away from the other team all the time. I began to think that I was a great hockey player. So I asked to play the line.

I found out that the other defenders were able to take the puck away from me just as much, if not more than I did as a defender. I soon realized this:

It's very easy to play defense.

It's hard to score a point (goal).

This is the very 'secret' that theist debaters discovered. Look at Hovind or Comfort or even our friend Kelly. They look to tear down things that they don't understand, knowing that there are plenty of others who know just as little about evolution or cosmology or logic as they do, who will laugh along with them.

Tearing down things that you don't grasp is easy.... Evolution seems silly to someone who doesn't grasp it, Cosmology seems to have a 'problem', so just point out the problems...... Logic is complex, and there's debate over how its justified, so just claim that there's no way to justify it.

None of these guys knows jack shit about, respectively, evolution, cosmology or logic. But they know enough to know that no one has provided a completely fool proof account for any of these fields. And again, they know that most people are just as ignorant over these topics as they are.

When a person doesn't know about a complex field, they have a choice as to how to deal with this ignorance.

They can concede the ignorance, which may be a blow to the ego.

Or they can oversimplify it and then laugh at how ridiculous their strawman version of the claim is. This allows them to soothe their battered ego, to feel 'smarter' than the smart guys.

The solution to dealing with these fellows is to point out that showing a problem in my belief does nothing to demonstrate the validity of yours. It is a false dichotomy to believe that a problem in evolution or cosmology or logic somehow means that the 'christian god' is the answer, particularly when the 'christian answer' is little more than saying "I don't know, ergo something undefinable did it".

That is why the best way to procede in these manners is to continually insist that the theist back up his own case.

The theist will run for the hills (or simply re-assert 'god did it' and get right back to attacking evolution/cosmology/logic).

I'm not trying to pretend that this ego problem doesn't effect atheists as well, it does. Atheists can idealize science and can and often do act as if all of these problems are effectively solved. It's just that it's rather ironic that the christian claims to be a purveyor of humility here, yet he suffers from an egomania here just as great as seen in any atheist that he rails against for arrogance. He, the theist, doesn't know, so he must tear down. He suffers an inferiority complex (all this talk about arrogant atheists), so he must build himself up by tearing others down.

It's the response of the Vandals, the Barbarians. If you can't understand something, destroy it. What's so great about Rome that a few thousand barabarians can't tear down?

To really approach a situation humbly, you'd first need to pick up a book on the topic and learn about it. Something a barbarian could and would never do. Learn logic. I'm hardly an expert in logic, yet I've never had the slightest problem defeating TAGers because they always know much, much, much less. I'm not commenting on their intelligence, I'm commenting on the fact that they don't know what they are talking about. Most of the 'debates' involve refuting their basic misunderstandings of logic. All I usually need to do is cite the first chapter of a basic primer on logic. In this thread, I cited a page written for middle school children as a refutation that led to a concession. If that were me, I'd not post further... I'd be signing up for a library card.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
All of which begs the

All of which begs the question of why they persist in bringing their knives to the gunfight. One would think that if they were genuinely interested in the issues, they would have picked up those books and done the basic reading.

In a similar vein, I've often wondered why athletes and performers feel compelled to publically thank God when they win something. Why bother to thank Him if He already knows that you are grateful? Or, if you must express your gratitude verbally, why not do so in private, later? 

Regrettably, I think the answer to both questions lies in politics. Christians are encouraged by their leaders to challenge atheists and make public displays of faith in order to keep the "brand" in the public eye. It doesn't matter what they say when they speak out, as long as lots of people can hear them proclaiming Christianity. As you've pointed out, most people don't know enough about these issues to tell a good argument from a bad one, so even bad "face time" really is better than no face time at all.

Thanks for the neat discussion of logic, guys.  

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: All of

Tilberian wrote:

All of which begs the question of why they persist in bringing their knives to the gunfight.

An excellent question.

My feel is they have a need to quell their cognitive dissonance. They know there's something amiss, they have a need to prove something to themselves. 

As for how they can survive the encounters, their ignorance provides them with their defense: it shields them from being refuted, after all, to be refuted you have to be able to recognize that you were refuted, and if you don't know the basics of evolution or cosmology or logic, how could you even know you were wrong? 

Theists like Comfort aren't able to see precisely how they are having their heads handed to them... all they have a vague feeling of discomfort, (something's wrong!) but  they are able to rationalize it away as rudeness.

In the recent RRS/Comfort debate, Comfort has complained that the atheist crowd were 'hecklers' because they... clapped a lot.

So Ray avoids all the times he was refuted (the vague feeling  of discomfort) by focusing his anger onto the crowd. 

Quote:

One would think that if they were genuinely interested in the issues, they would have picked up those books and done the basic reading.

If Hovind studied evolution with an intent of actually learning it, he'd have to eliminate 95% of his arguments. He'd have to leave creationism behind.

If Comfort learned cosmology, he'd learn that asserting 'god did it' is not a viable theory. He'd have to come up with a new comedy routine for the rubes.

If Kelly learned logic, he'd see that the 'problem of induction' isn't the problem he thinks it is, and that the problem simply does not lead one to his 'god'.

If these people learned about their topics, they'd have to switch sides. They'd have to concede that, at most, all we can say is that we don't have complete answers to any of these fields of study, but that our ignorance does not justify sayin 'goddidit'.

Quote:

In a similar vein, I've often wondered why athletes and performers feel compelled to publically thank God when they win something. Why bother to thank Him if He already knows that you are grateful? Or, if you must express your gratitude verbally, why not do so in private, later?

My feeling is this: 'god talk' is totally anthropomorphic. Saying "thank god' means 'I feel special, I feel luck, I feel great."

Think about the times you've said 'thank god' and consider what you were really saying:

"I feel relieved"

"I feel lucky"

It makes sense in this regard.

Quote:

Regrettably, I think the answer to both questions lies in politics. Christians are encouraged by their leaders to challenge atheists and make public displays of faith in order to keep the "brand" in the public eye. It doesn't matter what they say when they speak out, as long as lots of people can hear them proclaiming Christianity.

I think that's true, but I also think that our culture inculcates saying "thank god' to express feelings of joy, wonder, excitement, and relief.

Imagine a woman who's child goes missing, only to have the child found and returned by the police.

She says "thank god!"

We can interpret this as "I am so relieved!"

Of course, some theists may actually want to thank an athropomorphic being as well.... 

Quote:

As you've pointed out, most people don't know enough about these issues to tell a good argument from a bad one, so even bad "face time" really is better than no face time at all.

Thanks for the neat discussion of logic, guys.

I enjoyed it. Atheists have 'things to prove' too.... I am always out for a good theist argument. Never seen one. But I keep hoping.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something I noticed early on

Something I noticed early on with Creationists that an attempt to prove them wrong was usually a matter of educating them on what evolution actually is, and/or what the second law of thermodynamics actually is! Laughing

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Something I

Strafio wrote:
Something I noticed early on with Creationists that an attempt to prove them wrong was usually a matter of educating them on what evolution actually is, and/or what the second law of thermodynamics actually is! Laughing

Yes.

To debate an issue, you must know both sides. You must be able to argue your opponent's position as well as he does. In fact, in order to score a knock out, you must argue his side better than he does.  

If you are learing fundamental aspects of your opponents position 'during the debate' you are no longer debating at all. You are learning. And in order to properly learn, you must procede from a position of openness and humility.

Which is why most debate with creationists is pointless*. You are arguing with someone who doesn't even know how to recognize when he's been refuted. 

* Pointless in the sense of it being a debate. However, one can learn to better present their case during such exchanges.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just received this email in

Just received this email in regards to the challenge. Stanford has officially announced that Tripplehorn is a fraud:

Some time ago an evangelical named Kelly Tripplehorn made a video challenge offering a thousand dollars to anyone who could prove a completely godless explanation for the assumption of uniformity in nature (IE, that the physical laws we see today have always been the same and existed in the past). He was trying to advance the theory that without the God-given presumption that the universe always makes sense, that there's no reason to expect it to. He wanted us to forward our answers to Standford University's philosophy journal for review.

So I wrote to Standford and proposed that the answer to the challenge was a particular form of Buddhism, which in one of their sacred books (The Abhidharma) describes a uniformitarian universe with no gods in it. I thought that this was a good answer, because although it may be religious and ludicrous, it is NON-THEISTIC, and thus satisfies Tripplehorn's bizarre challenge with an equally bizarre (but technically correct) answer.

I wrote at the bottom of the letter that I was "exactly as serious as is required to win the thousand dollars, and not one modicum more." Stanford wrote me back and said that they had never heard of Kelly Tripplehorn or his challenge, and that he had used their seal and website without their consent. A cease and desist order followed, and I laughed.

Tripplehorn's site is now dead:

http://i53network.org/The_Stanford_Challenge.html

By the way, here's another atheist response to Tripplehorn's  BS:

Whoever claimed that has not read his Bible.

Job 38

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand.....Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this. "What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings? Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!..... Do you know the laws of the heavens?'

God taunts man that man does not understand the universe.

God taunts man that he cannot comprehend the laws of the Heavens.

What bizarre behaviour by a god who created a universe whose laws he intended us to understand!

Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst, thanks for

Todangst, thanks for getting our conclusions corroborated. Kelly Tripplehorn has been exposed as a fraud.

"Win $1,000! Prove Rational Atheism" by Kelly Tripplehorn: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/6275

So I take it Kelly will no longer want to debate you on the radio in order to avoid further embarrassment.

gregfl
User is offlineOffline
More lying for Jesus...what

More lying for Jesus...what a surprise!

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can we get this incredible

Can we get this incredible story put on the front page of the site, or something? What putrid hypocrisy! And there were other theists posting here referencing Tripplehorn's arguments!

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another one bites the dust.

Another one bites the dust. That's awesome. Good job Todangst. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson wrote:
Todangst, thanks for getting our conclusions corroborated. Kelly Tripplehorn has been exposed as a fraud.

"Win $1,000! Prove Rational Atheism" by Kelly Tripplehorn: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/6275

So I take it Kelly will no longer want to debate you on the radio in order to avoid further embarrassment.

He's failed to respond to my last emails. Actually, he stopped responding as soon as I insisted that he defend the claim that one could justify induction via a plea to the supernatural. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Way to spank that twerp,

Way to spank that twerp, todangst.
Anticlimactic as it is, it looks like he changed the name of the "challenge" to distance himself from the Stanford claim:
http://i53network.org/Van_Til_Challenge.html
At the end of the first video he even attempts CPR on Pascal's Wager.

DrZach
Silver Member
DrZach's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stanford Challenge Rendered Moot

Tripplehorn has gone to meet his maker. Obit Link

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Was this a suicide? The fact

Was this a suicide? The fact that he was only 26 and that they want donations to mental health issues particularly bipolar disorder makes it look like a strong possibility.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Looks like a suicide.  It

Looks like a suicide.  It seems that far too many people are affected with mental disorders like this.  Sometimes it feels like half the people I know are affected.