Play muse to a preacher

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Play muse to a preacher

I've  got an open  spot either next week or the  one after for what  I want  to  talk  about  in a sermon I'm giving. I  like outside  perspectives.  PLEASE, don't bother with appeals  for  me to  tell  them  to abandon their  faith  and  such.  I'm asking now for thoughts on what some of you would like to see  christians do  or be told to  do  if  we accept  the situation  of  their faith.

Your  displayed volunteer work/fund raising  is a good example.  "Preach: Stop being hypocrites and  show the love Jesus told you  to. Where  is  the fruit  of your belief?" Would be a good response to this post.

In other posts I've  mentioned using   Ayn Rand in my appeals to christians, along with medical  research  showing the area of the brain  responsible for triggering religious/spiritual  experiences. I've  also used  the band Papa Roach's song Last Resort   recently to remind people that simply offering 'eternal life'  to  people in situations where life is scarcely bearable is retarded. OLD  song, I  know, but  it did  seem to help. I  mention these to help assure you that I do want to put your  thoughts to work,  or those you  link  me to. 
If  you know bible texts and have something  positive they can  work with, that'd  be awesome too. Things for them  to  mull  over critically I'm  open to, but  that sort of thing  I often need  to keep in small groups because of  the 'mixed classroom' setting. If  its good I'll still use it when/where appropriate Smiling

Oh,  do  keep in  mind that I'm  speaking to other people who don't  believe in  intangible soul beings within them, or floating off  to  other dimensions at  any  point,  or that they  should be subject to jewish law as gentile believers.  I'm trying to ground them in  the,  well, ground of the earth(and scientific reality),  reminding them of how  precious  it is in  their worldview and trying  to move them to being more productive members of  society. Obviously, I  think I can  do this  with the bible but  I don't believe it should be the  only source of  information these people  are exposed  to.

Thanks!

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always wanted to hear a

I always wanted to hear a talk between a priest and his audience on the laws they choose to go with, and what is the driving force behind their morality. I always wanted to hear a priest saying in front of a congregation that we are all humans, after all, and everyone can be good and bad as well. I always wanted to hear a priest telling his flock that "good" and "bad" cannot be absolute, and what is "good" for one may be "bad" for someone else.

A sermon based on these is one that I'd gladly go to.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I think the

Personally, I think the biggest problem those of us lakcing faith have with most xtians is their apparent desire to control others.  If xtianity was just about getting together on Sun. morning, singing and such we wouldn't really care.  However, more and more xtians feel the need to try and impact other people's lives with their own morality and world view.  Can they not see the slippery slope they are carving for themselves?  I think every preacher should end every sermon with "The path to hell is paved with good intentions".  Make people realize that just b/c you think differently about some issue, doesn't make you any less human.  Life is life is life is life.  We are all the same.  I thin kthat would be a good sermon...

No Gods, Know Peace.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Ninja.  People

I agree with Ninja.  People need to preach tolerance.  When I still went to church, I was being judged constantly by my peers in the youth group and the leaders in the church.  One parent accused me of inappropriate behavior with a guy during a lock in.  One youth member spread a rumor about me performing sexual acts in the church parking lot.  I was one of the only virgins in the whole church.  However, people can be cruel.  I would like to see a church teaching real camaraderie.. I would like to see a church that actually cares about the community.  I would like to see a Christian that doesn't run people out of the church for being different.  Church should be friendly and supportive.  Unfortunately, it rarely is.  Of course this is a generalization.  However, that would be an excellent sermon.

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311 wrote: I agree

Wishkah311 wrote:
I agree with Ninja. People need to preach tolerance. When I still went to church, I was being judged constantly by my peers in the youth group and the leaders in the church. One parent accused me of inappropriate behavior with a guy during a lock in. One youth member spread a rumor about me performing sexual acts in the church parking lot. I was one of the only virgins in the whole church. However, people can be cruel. I would like to see a church teaching real camaraderie.. I would like to see a church that actually cares about the community. I would like to see a Christian that doesn't run people out of the church for being different. Church should be friendly and supportive. Unfortunately, it rarely is. Of course this is a generalization. However, that would be an excellent sermon.

I think she likes me guys.... 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote:   I think

NinjaTux wrote:

I think she likes me guys....

Oh, shut up... you big loser head!!! 

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
If all they did was sing

If all they did was sing and hold hands I wouldn't have any interest. There is great danger in influence, but influence is not inherently evil. Especially amongst the willing and the alert. My job isn't to tell people what to believe, its to help people check themselves for how they line up to their claims. Its my job to beat the drone mentality out of people Eye-wink

I was inspired by the RSS vs. Ray 'banana man' Comfort debate, so I used that and Pascal's Wager to point out how "it is not good to have Zeal without knowledge." Gave a guy a banana to eat while telling him about the 'atheist's nightmare,' explained the origins of the banana, offered him a coconut and pineapple. My thanks to those who so succinctly put the counter arguments out there.

Mike Gravel for president!