Carbon dating

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Carbon dating

I wind up talking about evolution a  lot with other  christians and  try to be a safe source for introducing them to at least the elements they can reconcile. Evolution is fact,  admittedly, but I lack sufficient knowledge to show  specific evolutionary paths to my satisfaction. Microevolution is cake.

Moving on, in  my  conversations  I'm usually told by the higher tier christian apologists that carbon  dating is  the  culprit  for  the  abomination  of evolution  and  only natural selection can be reasonably represented. When  I  ask  for  why carbon dating is unreliable, as I'm  told,  I  don't tend to  get solid answers. I'm  also not personally equipped to  demonstrate it simply-and-solidly enough to relieve their  distrust.

So!  Some of you atheists here have awesome articles I'm putting to use on other  things,  any of you have good material for this situation?  I'm  happy to see  some heavy stuff but  I really need information  that either is or  can  be brought down to  something digestable  to  someone  not  highly educated or very  ignorant  of any relating subject  matter.  Having  both would be great.

Theists!  Do you  have the hard hitting information that  questions the  legitimacy of carbon dating? Can I see  it please? I've seen  carbon dating used to many christians'  satisfaction for objects such as the  supposed ark on mount  ararat,  but  I've heard  some christians set time limits for  the reliability of  carbon dating. "Nothing works after X thousand  years!"

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing is from my

One thing is from my understanding (and Im an IT person, not a biologist so someone correct me if I am wrong) but there is now microevolution and macroevolution.  There is just evolution.  The seperation comes from those who want to make evolution not the fact that it is.

As far as carbon dating, there are several methods.  Its not like there is just one test of "carbon dating".  Theres several different methods, all of which have different accuracies and methods.  Maybe if Mr. YellowNumber5 can throw in his two cents as hes one of the scientist types on here.  As far as good information, and I know its against some peoples ideas around here but a good place to start is Wikipedia and some Google/library searches (mind you I say start; I unlike many have a little more respect for Wikipedia tho like anything getting information from one source is bad, be it Wikipedia or any other source). 

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wikipedia  is definitely

Wikipedia  is definitely a  mixed blessing. Some topics have more bias and turf war editting than others. What I'm hoping for is to tap into the pool specific to this group here  because  it  may have the specific angle  of being targetted towards the  audience I  want to present it to. Its not  just "Carbon dating is...," I might get lucky and have  "Okay  theists, your argument A  is refuted by article B.  Lets look at the  legitimacy  of  B  here. See? Simple!  Now,  your argument C..."

Mike Gravel for president!

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is actually called

It is actually called Carbon-14 dating. The reason it is unreliable is because of it's half life. The half life of Carbon-14 dating is 5800 years, meaning every 5800 years it degrades to half it's mass. After 70,000 years it is to large of a error margin to be even considered fact. However we have radiometric dating, isotopic, and other dating methods. Such as using other elements which half life is much higher accuracy. rubidium-87 decaying to strontium-87 has a half life of 50 billion years, meaning it is acurrite to within 50 billion years, then every 50 billion years it would lose a certain percent of accuracy. Other methods use plutonium, uranium, and other elements decaying to other elements, or changing in some way to determine the age. You can also use refraction, isotopic, and other methods.

Couple all methods together, and if they all lead to a close range of dates(these dates are usually within 20-30 million years for stuff 4 billion years old) and you get a accurite date range.

Carbon-14 was one of the first dating methods to be used, it is for short range dating because it is quite acurrite short range(such as 50-5000 years old) and after that you use other methods.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you do a little digging

If you do a little digging in Y#5's science forum you will quickly find out everything you ever wanted to know about carbon dating. Short answer: it's proven, it works, and theists trying to attack it never have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw one argument (I forget

www.fishdontwalk.com has some interesting fallacious arguments regarding evolution and other things related to the dates.  http://www.fishdontwalk.com/aviewer.asp?i=20 is an article in which he states some fallacious arguments against carbon dating.

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup, thats  one of the

Yup, thats  one of the arguments  I wanted  to  see brought up. It  has been  a while, but  I have  heard  that one.

EDIT: refering to the  now gone mention of the claim that any dating previous  to  5800 years ago  had  to be  bunk.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Avecrien wrote:

Avecrien wrote:

Yup, thats one of the arguments I wanted to see brought up. It has been a while, but I have heard that one.

EDIT: refering to the now gone mention of the claim that any dating previous to 5800 years ago had to be bunk.

I removed it cause I did not want to post something I had no reference for. The fact that someone says that says Carbon decays at a half life of 5730 years so anything after that means that its wrong does not understand the concept of half-life. However on fishdontwalk he does claim that because Carbon-14 dating after say 25000 years is no longer sufficiently accurate, its bad. He does not even mention the fact that there are other dating methods that use other elements and are accurate further out.

Again, I would like to see Y#5's thought on some of this.

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did look into some of 

I did look into some of  Yellow's forum threads  but didn't hit on what i was after. When I'm done with todays work and errands I'll look more and  see what  may've popped up here  Smiling

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey dude. I wrote a

Hey dude. I wrote a refutation of Christian arguments against C-14 dating here:

Large atoms with concentrated, crowded nuclei are highly unstable. To correct the instability, they will either

a) Release a highly ionizing but low energy particle consisting of a helium nucleus with two protons and neutrons. This is called alpha radiation.

b) If the nucleon number is isotopically unstable, the atom will change a proton into a neutron or vice versa allowing an electron to be released or a positron depending on beta minus versus positive.

Another thing they can do is released an ultra-high energy wave called gamma which is irrelevant to my question below.

For instance, a carbon-14 isotope. 99.999% of all carbon is stable carbon-12. but carbon-14 isotopes are not stable and make up 1ppt (part per trillion) of all carbon. They release beta radiation to correct the nucleon instability by firing off an electron. This causes it to decay into Nitrogen-14. The great thing about radioactive decay is that it is a random process that obeys probability laws. The other good thing about it is that you can dip a radioactive material in molten lead, in acid, shoot it, burn it, fire particles at it, try to irradiate it again, pass a current through it...and none of these things will change the isotope clocks. They are fixed.

Now let me explain how we use this to measure the age of the Earth and organic material. Radioactive half-life is the amount of time it takes for the Geiger counter count rate (CPS) to fall by half. Radioactivity is a Zeno's paradox, because it falls to 1/2 then 1/4 then 1/8, but never to 0. It takes the same amount of time to fall from full to half as from half to quarter because the probability remains the same, because radioactive decay is an elemental nuclear cycle.

Depending on their isotopic properties, different isotopes and elements decay at different rates. Uranium 238 has a half life of 4500 million years...almost exactly the age of the Earth. Certain Thorium isotopes, and Polonium 221 for example, half in hours to seconds.

All life is made out of carbon, and all life is made out of roughly the same percentage of carbon-14, which is 1ppt (part per trillion). When something is alive, the amount of carbon-14 it has remains at a constant 1ppt, but once it decays, biological processes stop so the carbon influx/outflux stops too, and the C-14 starts to decay into N-14 and is not replaced. So if we examine a dead plant by giving it a radiocarbon test, and we find the amount of carbon 14 (can be calculated using the mass of total carbon) and the amount of C-14 has reduced to 1/8, it means that the plant is 18,000 years old roughly, because C-14 has a half life of 6000 years (actually about 5300 years). The N-14 that C-14 decays into is simply released into the atmosphere. It’s very odd that creationsts attack C-14 dating, beause C-14 has absolutely nothing to do with a) evolutionary science or b) the Age of the Earth, because after 60,000 years (half-life slashed 10 times), our ability to register it fails. Presumably, attacking C-14 is an argumentum ad ignoratium, probably because it’s the only one everyone has heard of. The only thing C-14 is used for is dating recently deceased organic matter, or archeology.

It's often criticized for inaccuracy, but actually, C-14 is one of the most accurate measuring techniques in existence, to the tune of 1% margin of error. 

But if you don’t like Carbon 14 dating, there are over 20 types of radioisotope dating, including Pb-Ur, Ar-Ar, K-Ar etc. Some of which can date back millions and billions of years because the isotope is more stable.

Radiometric dating is not exact science. However, dinosaur bone dating never drops below 65 million years. They cannot provide exact answers for ancient (millions to billions of years) dating, but using a range establishes consensus. If the Earth was only 6,000 years old, the radioactivity emitted by unstable materials would be huge. We would immediately notice it because almost none would have decayed...in fact, we would not be here because life could not survive in that environment.

Creationists typically answer this with two fallacious arguments:

1.                  Radiometric dating is erratic, different techniques give you totally different numbers. It cannot be trusted

2.                  Scientists assume uniformitarianism, while radiometric dating might have been greatly speeded up in the past.

Both of these are ridiculous. The error in the spectrum of radiometric dating is normal experimental error. Radioactivity, after all, is a completely random process. However, the use of multiple isotope tests is not designed to establish a precise age. It is meant to establish the magnitude. If you have three tests, one which says 50 million years, another says 70 million and another says 92 million, then that is your age range. Radiometric errata does not help creationists, because it is used only to establish the magnitude of age. Even with such error, we would notice if the Earth was 6000 years old because the spectrum would bluntly stop between 2000 years and 12000 years. Radiometric errata is not an argument for creationism. The magnitude of age always comes up on the order of millions and billions.

Uniformitarianism. The anti-uniformitarian position is ridiculous. There is no way to speed up or slow down radioactivity. I can take a hunk of radioactive element, shoot it, burn it, blow it up, dip it in acid, fly it into the sun, but there is no way to alter the rate of decay. That is against the laws of quantum physics, impossible to break. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you really want to throw

If you really want to throw them for a loop just mention Argon-Argon dating. It's more accurate that Carbon dating and is part of the reason we can prove that the Earth is millions of years old.

ttdm.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually it's 4.5 Billion

Actually it's 4.5 Billion years old, but glad to see you're a more reasonable theist rather than a YEC.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
Actually it's 4.5 Billion years old, but glad to see you're a more reasonable theist rather than a YEC.

Whatever, I'm a Theologian and a Philosopher (a bad one but one nonetheless) not a Scientist.

ttdm.blogspot.com

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually it's 4.5 Billion

Ar-Ar dating is dead solid, because the gas is so inert. It's better than K-Ar because it is irradiated before spectroscopy, and the isotope K-39 is converted (which is good because we know the fraction of K-39/K-40 in any isotope mixture in the same way that we know the C-12/14 ratio). This means that we don't have to do 2 seperate measurments, unlike in K-Ar dating.  

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
Sir Valiant for Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Radiometric dating looks

Radiometric dating looks like it ought to be accurate on paper...but in actuality, it assumes too many things, which clearly either bias or nullify the result.

1. Most fossils we recover are found at ground level, or they have passed through ground water, which can easily leach minerals in or out.
  2. The gasses measured in some radiometric dating (particularly Potassium-Argon) are known to have effusion rates that differ from rock to rock, so any dating based on such must carefully survey the microscopic holes that the Argon can escape through and compute the effusion rate, then measure the ammount of Argon present and compute age.
  3. Other dating methods (U-238) rely on measuring the exact ammount of a specific isotope of lead that differs from normal lead in weight by less than one percent. This is hard, even for modern chemistry.
  4. Fossils that are older than 200 million years ought not to exist any more. The continent recycling process takes 200 million years, so any fossils that age or older ought to be either melted down in the lithosphere, or compressed and metamorphosed chemically and physically beyond recognition. So there is a 200 million year cap on fossil age that is never mentioned.
  5. Scientists only use uniformitarianism when it says something they like. See my thread on Miller-Urey to see how according to uniformitarianism the atmosphere has always been 5% Oxygen, while scientists who do not like this because they like Miller-Urey's results throw uniformitarianism out the window and compute numbers on Oxygen content between 10 to the -1 and 10 to the -14, which kinda suggests that these scientists are clueless. Uniformitarianism is not universally applied.

So, do you still think radiometric dating is accurate?

"Truth is the cry of all, but the game of the few." George Berkeley
"Truth is always strange — stranger than fiction." Lord Byron

Fixing the world, one dumb idea at a time.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Sir Valiant for Truth wrote:

Yes, in comparison to theist dating i.e., the bible, carbon dating is infinitely more accurate. 

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Radiometric dating looks like it ought to be accurate on paper...but in actuality, it assumes too many things, which clearly either bias or nullify the result.

1. Most fossils we recover are found at ground level, or they have passed through ground water, which can easily leach minerals in or out.

Care to give proof of that?

1. The gasses measured in some radiometric dating (particularly Potassium-Argon) are known to have effusion rates that differ from rock to rock, so any dating based on such must carefully survey the microscopic holes that the Argon can escape through and compute the effusion rate, then measure the ammount of Argon present and compute age.

Any studies you care to cite?  

1. Other dating methods (U-238) rely on measuring the exact ammount of a specific isotope of lead that differs from normal lead in weight by less than one percent. This is hard, even for modern chemistry.

So saying it’s hard makes it what?

1. Fossils that are older than 200 million years ought not to exist any more. The continent recycling process takes 200 million years, so any fossils that age or older ought to be either melted down in the lithosphere, or compressed and metamorphosed chemically and physically beyond recognition. So there is a 200 million year cap on fossil age that is never mentioned.

Once again care to tell us where you got your information and if any credible scientist agrees with you?

1. Scientists only use uniformitarianism when it says something they like. See my thread on Miller-Urey to see how according to uniformitarianism the atmosphere has always been 5% Oxygen, while scientists who do not like this because they like Miller-Urey's results throw uniformitarianism out the window and compute numbers on Oxygen content between 10 to the -1 and 10 to the -14, which kinda suggests that these scientists are clueless. Uniformitarianism is not universally applied.

Oh come off it, scientists disagree about claims in the same way a Calvinist will disagree with a Free-Will Theologian.

Unless you’re going to provide us with a viable alternative to the dating method, yes I do. The easiest way to know for sure how of the earth is, is through measurement of Doppler Shift in starlight. Even if Argon-Argon dating was a bad method of dating (and I’m pretty sure it’s not), the OLD age of the earth would be apparent because of our ability to see stars.

ttdm.blogspot.com

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Most fossils we recover are found at ground level, or they have passed through ground water, which can easily leach minerals in or out.

Irrelevant, because carbon dating measures the RATIO of carbon 12 to carbon 14. Taking minerals away from the fossil will not affect anything, unless you postulate something that preferentially takes away only carbon 14. Water will not do this, obviously.

The gasses measured in some radiometric dating (particularly Potassium-Argon) are known to have effusion rates that differ from rock to rock, so any dating based on such must carefully survey the microscopic holes that the Argon can escape through and compute the effusion rate, then measure the ammount of Argon present and compute age.

The argon isotopes are absorbed into the crystal matrix. They cannot effuse out of the rock. Even if this were true, lower amounts of argon in the rock would result in LATER dates for the samples being measured, which would support the young-earth theories of creationists. It isn't true, so the rocks appear to be far older. 

Other dating methods (U-238) rely on measuring the exact ammount of a specific isotope of lead that differs from normal lead in weight by less than one percent. This is hard, even for modern chemistry.

The dating method you are referring to measures the decay of uranium into lead, not of lead into lead. Modern chemistry has absolutely no problem differentiating between uranium and lead in a sample.

Fossils that are older than 200 million years ought not to exist any more. The continent recycling process takes 200 million years, so any fossils that age or older ought to be either melted down in the lithosphere, or compressed and metamorphosed chemically and physically beyond recognition. So there is a 200 million year cap on fossil age that is never mentioned.

There is no such thing as a "continent recycling process." There is lots of rock that is billions of years old that we can find right on the surface. Parts of the crust do sink into the lithosphere and get melted, but this occurs at much deeper levels than those at which fossils occur. Other parts of the crust have been floating around on the lithosphere since the earth originally cooled and hardened.

Scientists only use uniformitarianism when it says something they like. See my thread on Miller-Urey to see how according to uniformitarianism the atmosphere has always been 5% Oxygen, while scientists who do not like this because they like Miller-Urey's results throw uniformitarianism out the window and compute numbers on Oxygen content between 10 to the -1 and 10 to the -14, which kinda suggests that these scientists are clueless. Uniformitarianism is not universally applied.

There is no such term in science or philosophy as "uniformitarianism." This is another bit of scientific-sounding bafflegab invented by creationists to try to make them sound smarter than they are. We know that oxygen levels have been different in the past than they are now. The Earth's oxygen levels are fluctuating all the time. 

If scientists disagree about past oxygen levels, this doesn't make them clueless at all. It is theists that insist that everyone must agree on everything. That's why religion is so oppressive and tends to stifle progress. Scientists disagree all the time about the correct interpretation of the data they have, and the conflict fuels energetic efforts to make new discoveries. Disagreement is science's strength.  

I don't think it is, I know it is. You have shown quite conclusively that you really don't understand the techniques at all. Given your obvious lack of background in chemistry or geology, one wonders why you would come on here pretending you have the necessary knowledge to question experts in the field. I mean, if you are really interested in answers, presumably you would want to listen to people who have spent their lives studying these issues. Since you don't want to listen, the only possible conclusion is that you have an ulterior motive for trying to tear down their work. 

In other words, SVT, you have shown that clinging to your religious delusions is more important to you than objectively looking for answers to questions about the world. Here's a suggestion: why not just ignore science rather than attack it? 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Carbon 14 dating can be

Carbon 14 dating can be shown to be fauty along the same lines. Tree annual ring analysis has clearly demonsrated that in the field it is only accurate out to 4000 years, even if theoretically it is open ended. 

Uniformitarianism according to dictionary.com: The theory that all geologic phenomena may be explained as the result of existing forces having operated uniformly from the origin of the earth to the present time.

I guess for sounding smart you get a rock in the face. It's a gneiss rock but don't take it for granite.

PS: Continental recycling: Sea floor spreading creates new crust constantly while it is being destroyed at other plate intersections. The entire process takes 200 million years, so I assume that your statement that there is no such thing as continental recycling is a statement made from pure ignorance as that there clearly is and it is the driving force in continental drift. My entire point is that there are no billion year old rocks, just rocks that are biasedly dated that old.

Any old reference for plate tectonics will do, and the math of how fast sea floor spreading is gives the number 200 million years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_Tectonics

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's wikipedia. A 12 year

That's wikipedia. A 12 year old could have added that.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Carbon 14 dating can be shown to be fauty along the same lines. Tree annual ring analysis has clearly demonsrated that in the field it is only accurate out to 4000 years, even if theoretically it is open ended.

Which is why we use Argon-Argon dating. 

Uniformitarianism according to dictionary.com: The theory that all geologic phenomena may be explained as the result of existing forces having operated uniformly from the origin of the earth to the present time.

No offense but it really didn't prove anything in the grand scheme of things. 

PS: Continental recycling: Sea floor spreading creates new crust constantly while it is being destroyed at other plate intersections. The entire process takes 200 million years, so I assume that your statement that there is no such thing as continental recycling is a statement made from pure ignorance as that there clearly is and it is the driving force in continental drift. My entire point is that there are no billion year old rocks, just rocks that are biasedly dated that old.

Once again I'd much prefer that you cite a text book that agrees with 200 million years (in fact I'd like to see a scientific consensus that this is an accepted norm).

ttdm.blogspot.com

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
You didn't even answer any

You didn't even answer any of the refutations...good work... 

Carbon 14 dating can be shown to be fauty along the same lines. Tree annual ring analysis has clearly demonsrated that in the field it is only accurate out to 4000 years, even if theoretically it is open ended.

Carbon-14 dating is not open ended, it decays too quickly.  Scientists realize we have technological/physical limitations.....

Quote:
Operative word in that definition is FORCES.  We ralize that ratios and frequencies of this that and the other are going to change over time, but the forces stay the same.

Quote:
I guess for sounding smart you get a rock in the face. It's a gneiss rock but don't take it for granite.
Ditto...

Quote:
  No, your statement that there can be no rock older than 200 million years is made out of pure ignorance.  It can happen (and if you actually read the article, most of it was talking about the sea floor not land), but it doesn't have to happen.  

No Gods, Know Peace.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Any old reference for plate tectonics will do, and the math of how fast sea floor spreading is gives the number 200 million years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_Tectonics

Of course that's assuming that the spreading is at a constant rate and that every boundary is folding into the earth when in fact at the subduction zones only one plate is being forced into the asthenosphere while the other continues to ride on top allowing for fossils to collect on the lighter continental plates. 

ttdm.blogspot.com

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sea floor spreading is how

Sea floor spreading is how new continent is made (best exemplified by the present Atlantic) but unless crust was being destroyed as well earth would be swelling, hence subduction as occuring near Japan. I can see some rock dodging subduction for a few cycles, but for a three billion year old rock it must have dodged it for 15 consecutive times, which seems incredible at least.

Scientists making discoveries are human, so why don't you use your own intelligence as a judge of what they say rather than accepting the "scientific common wisdom" as absolute truth.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Sea floor spreading is how new continent is made (best exemplified by the present Atlantic) but unless crust was being destroyed as well earth would be swelling, hence subduction as occuring near Japan. I can see some rock dodging subduction for a few cycles, but for a three billion year old rock it must have dodged it for 15 consecutive times, which seems incredible at least.

Scientists making discoveries are human, so why don't you use your own intelligence as a judge of what they say rather than accepting the "scientific common wisdom" as absolute truth.

Please cite a better dating method and the peer reviewed scientific papers that support this method. Provide links please so we can all look over them. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Hahaha… Speaking of assuming! Don't you assume there's an invisible man? I think you call it a god. Where’s the evidence for such a thing, if you can call it a thing? It amazes me that you'd question the work of 10's of thousands of scientists but fail to question your bible and the people telling you about god. Are you so desperate?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I assume exactly what is

I assume exactly what is required to be able to use reason at all, call Him the "invisible man" "God" or whatever.

"If my brain is made of just molecules, then I have no reason for believing my brain, or I have no reason for believing that my brain is made of molecules."

Anonymous

If there is no God, then you yourself have absolutely nothing to stand on besides assumption. If the laws of logic are nothing more than "conventions of thought learned from birth" like modern psychology teaches, there is no reason to assume that they will be either universally applicable or even generally correct.

In other words, even though I know that you will deny this beforehand, without God existing, you could not prove anything. That alone is proof enough of His existance.

God is a nessecity of Epistemology, admitted or no.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Please cite a

BGH wrote:

Please cite a better dating method and the peer reviewed scientific papers that support this method. Provide links please so we can all look over them.

Please respond. 

mouse
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

God is a nessecity of Epistemology, admitted or no.

rather, belief is a necessity of epistemology.

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

...there is no reason to assume that they will be either universally applicable or even generally correct.

Generally correct can come from reason and past experience.

Universally applicable - Why must anything be universally applicable? That is absolutism, I do not hold absolutism to be true. 

Sir Valiant for...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I was trying to, but your

I was trying to, but your second post gave me "access denied" and I lost all of my sources. Even so, internet sources are a fuzzy buisness, so I prefer to use book references, even if they are not as fast, so give me a while.

Continent recycling: Even though it is not peer reviewed, I am missing class and in a hurry, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_drift

Do a little math on the sea floor spreading rate, and you wind up with a full continental recycle at between 200 and 500 million years.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

I was trying to, but your second post gave me "access denied" and I lost all of my sources. Even so, internet sources are a fuzzy buisness, so I prefer to use book references, even if they are not as fast, so give me a while.

Continent recycling: Even though it is not peer reviewed, I am missing class and in a hurry, so...

Do a little math on the sea floor spreading rate, and you wind up with a full continental recycle at between 200 and 500 million years.

This does not constitute a dating method. There are portions of the crust more stagnet than others. 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: This does not

BGH wrote:

This does not constitute a dating method. There are portions of the crust more stagnet than others.

Is that the new revised spelling of stagnant.....or is that more like a gigalo sting operation.....

No Gods, Know Peace.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: BGH

NinjaTux wrote:
BGH wrote:

Is that the new revised spelling of stagnant.....or is that more like a gigalo sting operation.....

Very funny. LOL. Sure point out my foibles....

Sorry, I typed in a hurry, STAGNANT. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sir Valiant for Truth

Try these links instead. More trustworthy sources.

Link #1

Link #2 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: BGH

BGH wrote:
BGH wrote:

Please respond.

SVT, please respond to this, I would love to hear your more accurate dating method. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Using Wikipedia as a source

Using Wikipedia as a source for any science is like using the Flintstones as a source for paleontology.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spent more time away than I

Spent more time away than I had wanted and came back to just what I wanted Smiling

Glad to see the science I was looking for and some, I'll assume, current debates from those contesting.