The God of the Gaps is running out of places to hide!

Orias
Orias's picture
User is offlineOffline
The God of the Gaps is running out of places to hide!

Big News guys!... An extrasolar planet with earth-like conditions has been found! OH HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE RIGHT! Laughing out loud

Smell that Intelligent Designers?! That's VINDICATION up your nostrils! BOO YAH!

"...then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods..." - The Serpent, Genesis 3:5

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me or am I

Is it just me or am I missing the point?

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
Orias wrote: Big News

Orias wrote:
Big News guys!... An extrasolar planet with earth-like conditions has been found! OH HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE RIGHT! Laughing out loud Smell that Intelligent Designers?! That's VINDICATION up your nostrils! BOO YAH!

Unfortunately, this hardly is claims for victory. For one, its simply a planet that has the a couple of the many right conditions needed for llife (we don't even know if it has water or an atmosphere, let alone life itself). And second, creationists/intelligent designers are too stupid to admit defeat (which happened along time ago).

Orias
Orias's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every nail in the coffin is

Every nail in the coffin is welcome. And if nothing else this is probably one of the coolest discoveries in recent history. Finding a planet with earth-like conditions so close to our own might very well indicate that these planets are quite common. I'm giddy at the possible knowlecge mankind could accumulate from this finding

"...then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods..." - The Serpent, Genesis 3:5

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Is it

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Well, creationists always held unto the idea that the chance of a planet forming like our own, this far form the sun, and all these other variables came out to be like 1/2.34*10^132. That is of course, if it is a closed system, which it is not. This planet found, since we can now see planets such as these just relates that earth like planets are a hell of a lot more common then once thought. Anything further then 10 light years we could never see exo-planets like earth, however now we can.

It is true creationists never admit defeat, we prove them wrong a lot and they still cling to there stories. It's sad really, reminds me when I told a few people in grade four santa did not exist. They all denied it till grade 6.

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
whether it can be called or

whether it can be called or victory or not, i don't know. but it is very fascinating news. if it is inhabitable, i wonder how long it would take us to ruin it?

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's orbiting a red dwarf.

It's orbiting a red dwarf. Unless our understanding on the elements needed for life, or if life can start in different places in different forms(possibly nitrogen based instead of carbon based) the answer is no it is not habitable.

To bad right? 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Is it

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Me too, Cpt.  While I'm not a creationist, I don't see how God couldn't have created more than one habitable planet in the universe, if that's what he wanted to do.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus

totus_tuus wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Me too, Cpt. While I'm not a creationist, I don't see how God couldn't have created more than one habitable planet in the universe, if that's what he wanted to do.

Hmm... It's not for proving god all together does not exist, just the god in all the religions.

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus

totus_tuus wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Me too, Cpt. While I'm not a creationist, I don't see how God couldn't have created more than one habitable planet in the universe, if that's what he wanted to do.

If we one day find a planet full of intelligent life, and through communication with them we find that none of them believe in any god, none have them have ever heard of jesus, allah, et al, would that cause you to change your position? 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Avecrien
Theist
Avecrien's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I read this last

When I read this last night, I thought that the planet was close enough to the dwarf to still allow for earthlike life, at least in terms of water/air temperature. What else specific to the sun inhibits carbon life? I'm no expert here, most I know about a red dwarf is how funny the series is...

If I saw another intelligent species with no knowledge of any god, I'd probably conclude one of three things:
1: My god didn't let them in on the secret of him. Smooth.
2. My god was not involved in the creation/manipulation of life in that area.
3. My god's probably make-believe.
...but of course the other way around could always happen. "Greetings from Cthulhulia! How's Jesus?"

Mike Gravel for president!

gobaskof
User is offlineOffline
God of the gaps always has

God of the gaps always has somwhere to hide, because we can't know all, but I am sure he is getting very cramped... maybe eventualy they will let him die, it would be the kind thing to do, because keeping God in such a small gap is very mean!

Quote:
I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore. - Charles Darwin