Thoughts on the state of "atheist vs. theist"

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thoughts on the state of "atheist vs. theist"

This is troubling me, and I think it is why I keep coming back here.  I am a Christian, therefore, my arguments come from that Christian worldview.  Oftentimes I have simply reiterated a Christian point, and then, to my surprise several people attack what I have said, called me a liar, arrogant, rude, prideful, etc.  And I’m left wondering, what on earth did I say that incited so much anger?  Truth is, I am a caring person who wants to improve and make a positive impact on the world.  I love animals, I respect the earth, I think we need to take better care of it.  If I’ve harmed someone, I want to make amends, etc.  So, I honestly do not understand where your anger comes from.  Is it simply because I don't agree with you?

Taking my Christianity out of the equation, I am a person, I have opinions, I feel strongly about my opinions because they have been formed from decades of searching, thinking, turning things over in my mind.  I am no different than you, in that respect.  It just so happens that you came to different conclusions than me.  But, I can tell, you feel equally strongly about your beliefs and feel I would be better off if I were atheist.  You know that I feel you would have a richer experience in this life if you believed in God, not necessarily even the Christian God.  So, tho our opinions are different, the way we are approach each other is really not so different.  In light of that, what I do not understand is why we cannot converse like adults, hear each other’s view points, accept that we are both attempting to influence the other side with those view points, and let go of all the meanness and personal put downs?

I don’t know who here is American, but what I see happening in this country and throughout the world is deeply troubling.  There is a divide growing between the secular and religious communities, and the two need to come back to the center and start communicating better in order to make some honest compromises.  We have to live in this world together.  You are never going to eradicate the worship of God, I am never going to get everyone to see the need to worship God.  Most likely, you are not going to deconvert me, nor am I going to convert you.  So, can we, instead start listening, and refrain from judging others ideas as stupid, baseless, juvenile?

Also, I do not feel the “delusional” label you have placed on theists is going to get us anywhere positive.  I can just as easily call you delusional.  The fact is, you are not in my brain, I am not in yours.  You have not had my experiences, I have not had yours.  So, you can no more honestly judge me delusional than I can judge you.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: For anyone who

jce wrote:

For anyone who missed the play or left at intermission due to boredom, let me see if I can provide a synopsis for the last few days:

Act I

Sugarfree derails blackmath’s thread with yet another off-topic bullshit statement. She gets called on it by several people and in the process discovers my gender. Unfortunately her argument was so crappy that even my uterus could not agree and it doesn’t even have a brain. She then proceeds to do the ‘Theist Shuffle’ and performs mental gymnastics and back peddling to entertain us while pissing off large groups of adoptees and their families.

Act II

Sugarfree starts her own thread complaining about unfair treatment (dramatic music for this part). Others remind her that she has yet to produce a valid argument or any credible facts to support her statements. But we try to play along and make nice as she runs around leaving shit-bombs to people she feels have offended her. She is accused of trying to win converts versus engaging in discussion and debate. This results in more crying from sugarfree. This act reveals that she does, in fact, have health issues and that god is sitting on her shoulder(?). The climax of this act occurs when she decides to dole out medical advice to one of the members who has attempted to open up dialog with her. Not only are her attempts misguided, she once again displays gender confusion and gets bitch-slapped by Iruka. The sharks circle when first blood is drawn.

Finale

To no one’s surprise, sugarfree announces that she is wounded beyond words and can no longer continue talking to us. She picks up her deflated ball and goes home. She is left bewildered by the cruelty of being misunderstood and we are left bewildered by the amount of time we have collectively wasted on her.

(Surprisingly, the pixie on her shoulder never told her to avoid playing with the dirty, mean atheists. In fact, the pixie has had nothing to say this entire time. Perhaps the pixie is a skeptic and was waiting for a valid argument too.)

If I have left anything out, please let me know.

Wow! Excellent summary!!

I certainly feel this drama has been on broadway longer than "Cats". 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I monitor

sugarfree wrote:
I monitor my condition with a psychiatrist, Iruka. Jesus cannot heal my imbalances.
BULLSHIT, you're more imbalanced and co-dependent than any five people i've ever met.
Quote:
He can guide me to truth and show me ways in which I can help myself. You can put your faith in doctors if you wish, or you can, at the same time take some matters into your own hands.
which she does by abdicating all reponsibility to Jeebus cheetos
Quote:
The SARP program is for diabetics also. It is perfectly catered towards diabetics. It is an eating program, no medication involved, therefore, my sharing of the knowledge was in now way illegal. Caution, the type of unruly behavior displayed here is not allowed on that site, because it is a healing site, not a destructive one as this one is. BTW: Yes, I need to get the hell away from this site, because it is absolutely damaging to one's biochemical system,
I hate it when just through word usage you can tell when someone really, and I mean Really (capital there people take notice) doesn't have the faintest fucking spector of an idea what the hell they're talking about
Quote:
especially those, like me, who are in the process of healing from lifelong addiction.
honestly I think she should get an actual addiction so she can stop playing the victim, everybody here's seen the French Connection, Right??
Quote:
Rather than judging my emotional health you should consider the source of your own emotional outbursts, Iruka, like why you feel it necessary to yell at minors who are simply trying to share their faith with you. If you are ever interested, check out the link I just posted. It is up to you. Now, that is all I have to say to you.

This is like nailing fucking jello to a tree, ya think you got it till it slips off again. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:   BTW:

sugarfree wrote:
  BTW: Yes, I need to get the hell away from this site, because it is absolutely damaging to one's biochemical system, especially those, like me, who are in the process of healing from lifelong addiction. Rather than judging my emotional health you should consider the source of your own emotional outbursts, Iruka, like why you feel it necessary to yell at minors who are simply trying to share their faith with you. If you are ever interested, check out the link I just posted. It is up to you. Now, that is all I have to say to you.

I just learned it is inappropriate to use btw in a forum.  I figured since certain people are passing around useless knowledge that no one wants to hear, I'd jump right in. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
BTW: Yes, I need to get the hell away from this site, because it is absolutely damaging to one's biochemical system, especially those, like me, who are in the process of healing from lifelong addiction. Rather than judging my emotional health you should consider the source of your own emotional outbursts, Iruka, like why you feel it necessary to yell at minors who are simply trying to share their faith with you. If you are ever interested, check out the link I just posted. It is up to you. Now, that is all I have to say to you.

I just learned it is inappropriate to use btw in a forum. I figured since certain people are passing around useless knowledge that no one wants to hear, I'd jump right in.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Very good Jane! 

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pariah:  I bet you brought

Pariah:  I bet you brought your teacher a shiny new apple everyday in school...such a quick learner...

No Gods, Know Peace.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Jesus

sugarfree wrote:
Jesus cannot heal my imbalances.

Well, so much for omnipotence I guess. You know your own bible says that he can, right?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Iruka,

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka, like why you feel it necessary to yell at minors who are simply trying to share their faith with you. If you are ever interested, check out the link I just posted. It is up to you. Now, that is all I have to say to you.

No, you were dispensing medical advice.  That's why I yelled at you.  That kind of thing can get you (or the owner of whatever forum you're posting on) into serious trouble.  And whining about your age isn't going to win you any points.  If you're old enough to dish it out, you're old enough to take it.  And how the hell am I supposed to know how old you are if you didn't give that information in your profile?  Unlike you, I can't ask my omnipotent, invisible shoulder pixie to divine the information for me.  (My shoulder pixie is green with a yellow head and has a rather limited vocabulary...but least he's not invisible.)  Also, I could accuse you of sassing your elders.  It cuts both ways.

As for the RRS forum, it is not a support forum and doesn't have to behave like one.  I mostly don't tell my deepest, darkest secrets here because 1) it's inappropriate and 2) I've learned it's not a very bright thing to do on an Internet forum.  Yes, I've touched on a few things, but if you look back on this very thread, observe that you used that information as ammunition, first to try to tell me how I can get all fixed up, then to assault my character.  Let your own behavior be a lesson to you.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: For anyone who

jce wrote:

For anyone who missed the play or left at intermission due to boredom, let me see if I can provide a synopsis for the last few days:

Act I

Sugarfree derails blackmath’s thread with yet another off-topic bullshit statement. She gets called on it by several people and in the process discovers my gender. Unfortunately her argument was so crappy that even my uterus could not agree and it doesn’t even have a brain. She then proceeds to do the ‘Theist Shuffle’ and performs mental gymnastics and back peddling to entertain us while pissing off large groups of adoptees and their families.

Act II

Sugarfree starts her own thread complaining about unfair treatment (dramatic music for this part). Others remind her that she has yet to produce a valid argument or any credible facts to support her statements. But we try to play along and make nice as she runs around leaving shit-bombs to people she feels have offended her. She is accused of trying to win converts versus engaging in discussion and debate. This results in more crying from sugarfree. This act reveals that she does, in fact, have health issues and that god is sitting on her shoulder(?). The climax of this act occurs when she decides to dole out medical advice to one of the members who has attempted to open up dialog with her. Not only are her attempts misguided, she once again displays gender confusion and gets bitch-slapped by Iruka. The sharks circle when first blood is drawn.

Finale

To no one’s surprise, sugarfree announces that she is wounded beyond words and can no longer continue talking to us. She picks up her deflated ball and goes home. She is left bewildered by the cruelty of being misunderstood and we are left bewildered by the amount of time we have collectively wasted on her.

(Surprisingly, the pixie on her shoulder never told her to avoid playing with the dirty, mean atheists. In fact, the pixie has had nothing to say this entire time. Perhaps the pixie is a skeptic and was waiting for a valid argument too.)

If I have left anything out, please let me know.

jce, that was fucking brilliant.  I only got as far as the words "Act I" before I erupted into belly laughter.  This thread is better than a soap opera. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka, like why you feel it necessary to yell at minors who are simply trying to share their faith with you. If you are ever interested, check out the link I just posted. It is up to you. Now, that is all I have to say to you.

No, you were dispensing medical advice.  That's why I yelled at you.  That kind of thing can get you (or the owner of whatever forum you're posting on) into serious trouble.  And whining about your age isn't going to win you any points.  If you're old enough to dish it out, you're old enough to take it.  And how the hell am I supposed to know how old you are if you didn't give that information in your profile?  Unlike you, I can't ask my omnipotent, invisible shoulder pixie to divine the information for me.  (My shoulder pixie is green with a yellow head and has a rather limited vocabulary...but least he's not invisible.)  Also, I could accuse you of sassing your elders.  It cuts both ways.

As for the RRS forum, it is not a support forum and doesn't have to behave like one.  I mostly don't tell my deepest, darkest secrets here because 1) it's inappropriate and 2) I've learned it's not a very bright thing to do on an Internet forum.  Yes, I've touched on a few things, but if you look back on this very thread, observe that you used that information as ammunition, first to try to tell me how I can get all fixed up, then to assault my character.  Let your own behavior be a lesson to you.  

Um, I sure hope Sugarfree wasn't stating she was the minor, because I have a sneaking suspicion that might be a lie. 

She wrote this:

It wasn't. That was an entirely different issue. My husband and I are getting ready to have children and we have been attending church regularly for the past several years. Those two things have caused us to feel it necessary to omit certain words or phrases from our vocabulary. "What the hell," is a phrase I wouldn't use anymore. Now that I've omitted these phrases and words, now when I hear them, they really rub me the wrong way...and cause me to turn the other way. If you want to know what I'm talking about, give them up for a year...it resensitizes you to them and makes you realize they aren't necessary in regular conversation. I'm not perfect. I still say stuff I shouldn't when I'm really angry (usually at my husband), but, I am making a continuing effort.

And this:

\ sugarfreePosts: 347
BGH wrote: sugarfreeBGH wrote:sugarfree wrote:See you in the next life. Doesn't exist...If it did I am sure we would not be in the same place, THANK DOG! If you take what I am going to say here as a matter of pride, so be it. Never in my life have I been treated as rudely and disrepectfully as I have on this site. And that is no whine. That is the cold hard truth based on 3 decades of experience. If this is your humanist morality in action, I feel it is ineffective in many areas. Now, as I do not wish to sin on your account any longer, I must refrain from speaking to you again.

Sorry - I had to cut and paste, my computer is wonky. 

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:Um, I

pariahjane wrote:
Um, I sure hope Sugarfree wasn't stating she was the minor, because I have a sneaking suspicion that might be a lie.

Perhaps she meant mentally. But I think you're right, I've never seen her claim to he a minor [Edit: until now], and I seem to recall her saying things contrary to being one.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: pariahjane

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:
Perhaps she meant mentally. But I think you're right, I've never seen her claim to he a minor [Edit: until now], and I seem to recall her saying things contrary to being one.

Maybe she meant miner, like a coal miner.  That's it, she is a coal miner that inhaled too much sulfur gas. 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh

Roisin Dubh wrote:

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Maybe she meant miner, like a coal miner.  That's it, she is a coal miner that inhaled too much sulfur gas. 

Oh, of course, a miner!!  How silly of me to think that Sugarfree might be lying to get a sympathy vote!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: pariahjane

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't recall "yelling" at anyone else, minor or otherwise.  I suppose I could get pretty upset with someone trying to re-infect me with the faith virus, but I'm trying to remain calmer now that I've built up an immunity.

So:   

I have no idea what she meant, but that's becoming par for the course. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, look at this paragraph

Wow, look at this paragraph I found in an article by Chris Hedges, who just happens to be a moderate Christian:

"Rules are incorporated slowly and deliberately into the convert's belief system. These include blind obedience to church leaders, the teaching of an exclusive, spiritual elitism that demonizes all other ways of being and believing, and a persecution complex that keeps followers mobilized and distrustful of outsiders. The result is the destruction of old communities, old friendships and the independent ability to make moral choices. Believers are soon encased in the church community. They are taught to emphasize personal experience rather than reasoning, and to reject the reality-based world. For those who defy the system, who walk away, there is a collective banishment [emphasis mine]."

The Secret of the Christian Right's Recruiting Tactics

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't recall "yelling" at anyone else, minor or otherwise.  I suppose I could get pretty upset with someone trying to re-infect me with the faith virus, but I'm trying to remain calmer now that I've built up an immunity.

So:   

Iruka, just between you and me (and all the peering eyes), please accept my apologies for stepping over your line of comfort and failing your trust. I truly meant no harm to you and, was actually glad to have a chance to share the information with you that has so helped me. The sugar sensitivity stuff has nothing to do with faith/no faith. Religion/no religion. The people in my church don't get it, they think it's weird that I eat the way I do...so my views don't fit in there. Whatever. I absolutely would not have written those things to you had I the slightest inkling that it was going to peeve you off. Anyways, just wanted to let you know, that. Sorry for calling you male (also), and believe it or not I can actually relate to having mental issues and having to search and search, having difficulty finding people that truly understand. As you can see, it is a soft spot for me as well, due to my cussing episode...I've worked hard and made a lot of changes in my life to gain health, as I'm sure you have also. Finally, the minor I was talking about was some post you put up way back about a kid that stopped by your door and you yelled that religion was evil or something. But, forget I said it, it's not important. I've said some things I shouldn't, but to my defense, theists are a bit out-numbered here and therefore bear a greater amount of criticism (nor do we even seem to defend each other).

So, my apology is on the table if you wish to accept it. Best wishes on your continued and sustained healing. Okay. That's really it.

Wishkah311
Theist
Wishkah311's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I just

pariahjane wrote:

I just learned it is inappropriate to use btw in a forum. I figured since certain people are passing around useless knowledge that no one wants to hear, I'd jump right in.

Is it really?  If so, might I ask why?  I never knew such things existed.... 

Ah, the pitter patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wishkah311

Wishkah311 wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

Is it really?  If so, might I ask why?  I never knew such things existed.... 

I posted a thread called 'This is probably a stupid question but...' . You'll have to check it out, I don't remember everything else.  I just was trying to figure out how some things work around here.  But apparently, there really is such a thing as a stupid question!!  LOL.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
"Rules are incorporated slowly and deliberately into the convert's belief system. These include blind obedience to church leaders, the teaching of an exclusive, spiritual elitism that demonizes all other ways of being and believing, and a persecution complex that keeps followers mobilized and distrustful of outsiders. The result is the destruction of old communities, old friendships and the independent ability to make moral choices. Believers are soon encased in the church community. They are taught to emphasize personal experience rather than reasoning, and to reject the reality-based world. For those who defy the system, who walk away, there is a collective banishment [emphasis mine]."

The Secret of the Christian Right's Recruiting Tactics

Wow. That describes sugarfree perfectly as far as I can tell. In fact, it explains a lot about the fundie approach that makes sense, including a small church/cult I was briefly involved in just before becoming an atheist. Bookmarked; Thanks for the link, Iruka.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote:

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

rexlunae wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't recall "yelling" at anyone else, minor or otherwise. I suppose I could get pretty upset with someone trying to re-infect me with the faith virus, but I'm trying to remain calmer now that I've built up an immunity.

So:

Iruka, just between you and me (and all the peering eyes), please accept my apologies for stepping over your line of comfort and failing your trust.

I accept your apology.

sugarfree wrote:
I truly meant no harm to you and, was actually glad to have a chance to share the information with you that has so helped me. The sugar sensitivity stuff has nothing to do with faith/no faith. Religion/no religion. The people in my church don't get it, they think it's weird that I eat the way I do...so my views don't fit in there. Whatever. I absolutely would not have written those things to you had I the slightest inkling that it was going to peeve you off.

That's part of the problem. I have noticed that religionists tend to think they know what's best for others and push it in others' faces. It's considered politically incorrect for us to call them on their bullshit, but we're working to change that.

What concerns me is that religionists lose their sense of what is and what is not appropriate because of what they are taught: Christ died for our sins and anyone who does not accept him is going to hell. That puts religionists in the possession of a special relationship and special knowledge (or so they think). They regard anyone else's opinions / way of life as unacceptable. Judging by your behavior, you've completely lost your moral compass while simultaneously believing you've found the only moral compass that matters. It's mind-boggling to those of us who are not part of the Christian cult. It's mind-boggling to me, even though I used to be exactly where you are now. While watching your behavior, I've had a lot of flashbacks of my own nastiness in response to gay people and assorted forms of "unsaved trash." I thought I was so moral. I had the answer, so I didn't need to listen. Where I was then, you are now.

sugarfree wrote:
Finally, the minor I was talking about was some post you put up way back about a kid that stopped by your door and you yelled that religion was evil or something.

I didn't yell, but I did express my distaste. And that fourteen-year-old kid had no business proselytizing door-to-door. His parents should be ashamed. I told my fundy mother and even she thought sending kids to proselytize was out of line. Anyone who proselytizes at my door is going to get an earful. If they dish it out, they can take it. Just remember who bothered whom.

sugarfree wrote:
I've said some things I shouldn't, but to my defense, theists are a bit out-numbered here and therefore bear a greater amount of criticism

If you come to an atheist site, you should expect criticism. And if god really is on your side, you should also be able to handle it without, say, wishing Mattshizzle and NinjaTux end up in hell. The immorality of the Christian worldview was defined by your moments of weakness. Consider that you were behaving just like your god. Consider that if your god really is omnipotent and omniscient, he could have figured out a way to keep everyone out of hell. Your desire to see Matt and Ninja in hell reminded me so much of that vile creature YHWH in the Old Testament. If you believe Christian doctrine, the only logical conclusion is that god really does want people to go to hell...and apparently, in moments of weakness, so do his followers.

I forgive you for crossing the line with me, but I think you owe quite a few others some serious apologies and perhaps a promise to sincerely consider the consequences of your Christian worldview of hell...what your slip says about you, but more importantly, what it says about your god.

"For good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I accept your apology.

Thank you. I am relieved to hear that.

Iruka Naminori wrote:

That's part of the problem. I have noticed that religionists tend to think they know what's best for others and push it in others' faces. It's considered politically incorrect for us to call them on their bullshit, but we're working to change that.

What concerns me is that religionists lose their sense of what is and what is not appropriate because of what they are taught: Christ died for our sins and anyone who does not accept him is going to hell. That puts religionists in the possession of a special relationship and special knowledge (or so they think). They regard anyone else's opinions / way of life as unacceptable. Judging by your behavior, you've completely lost your moral compass while simultaneously believing you've found the only moral compass that matters. It's mind-boggling to those of us who are not part of the Christian cult. It's mind-boggling to me, even though I used to be exactly where you are now. While watching your behavior, I've had a lot of flashbacks of my own nastiness in response to gay people and assorted forms of "unsaved trash." I thought I was so moral. I had the answer, so I didn't need to listen. Where I was then, you are now.

I have to disagree on the part about losing my moral compass. I am generally a quiet type and am of the mind that in most cases, it is best to let actions speak for themselves. About a month ago, I heard about the Blaphemy Challenge and found this site. This was my first (and last) foray into sharing my faith over the internet. As I am inexperienced at it, you got to witness my comedy of errors! However, my deduction, after this experience, is that this method of sharing is not the most fruitful. To that end, I do have to agree with you about not sharing to much personal info on these forums. Live and learn some things the hard way! To be honest, I am quite happy in my relationship with Jesus, and tho, I'd wish for others to be able to have the same thing, I know it's a personal decision that can never be forced upon a person.

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I didn't yell, but I did express my distaste. And that fourteen-year-old kid had no business proselytizing door-to-door. His parents should be ashamed. I told my fundy mother and even she thought sending kids to proselytize was out of line. Anyone who proselytizes at my door is going to get an earful. If they dish it out, they can take it. Just remember who bothered whom.

LOL. Well, it is your property so I cannot argue with that.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
If you come to an atheist site, you should expect criticism.
You might say, I jumped in with both feet and didn't think to much about the temperature of the water. To be honest, you all are a rough crowd, I underestimated. Personally, I think it would better serve your views if there were not so much condescension, but that is up for you all to decide and not me as I have no stake in what goes on here.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
And if god really is on your side, you should also be able to handle it without, say, wishing Mattshizzle and NinjaTux end up in hell.
Those were really horrible things to say. But, on the flipside, what they said to me was so horribly offensive, based on my past struggles that I was beside myself, and (make fun if you will) had to leave my desk and go hide in the work bathroom to cry. For people to mock my depression, my current success and ability to maintain my own healing, my knowledge about how to support my own healing. Iruka, those comments, speaking from my side were the lowest of the low and very painful for me to endure. And the thing that makes it worse is, I believe, they may even yet, read these words and throw my pain back in my face to mock me. I believe that is just simply inhumane. Granted, I have said some things here out of anger, but I made an honest effort to apologize for my wrongs. That is why, when my head finally cleared this afternoon, I realized I owed you, of all people, an apology. To be perfectly honest, I am not ready to apologize to Matt and NinjaTux. I am still harboring resentments and I do not believe in false apologies.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
The immorality of the Christian worldview was defined by your moments of weakness. Consider that you were behaving just like your god. Consider that if your god really is omnipotent and omniscient, he could have figured out a way to keep everyone out of hell. Your desire to see Matt and Ninja in hell reminded me so much of that vile creature YHWH in the Old Testament. If you believe Christian doctrine, the only logical conclusion is that god really does want people to go to hell...and apparently, in moments of weakness, so do his followers.
My Christian faith does not mean I am going to be perfect, however, it requires me, when I realize I have fallen short of God's moral expectations of me, to make amends. I have tried to do that. To be absolutely honest with you, I hate the emotions that welled up in my when I read Matt's and Ninja's posts. I hate that I, in that moment, did not care about them one iota. That is not the right stance to take, and I know it. Even tho I feel, unfortunately, that they do not care one iota for me, I know I must love them anyway. And, I believe I will get to that point, however, the wounds are still too raw. But, to be honest, it was not just them. I was quite shocked by your angry response to me, then to read JCE's angry words...and then to be mocked by Matt and Ninja...that was the last straw and my anger got the best of me. I do realize, now, however, from your perspective, how you perceived me as trying to tell you what to do. I also realized that, it does not matter what I said to you or how I said it. It doesn't matter if I had sent you a dozen roses along with it. The simple fact that you felt disrespected by my words means I needed to take responsibility for causing that...thus the apology.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I forgive you for crossing the line with me, but I think you owe quite a few others some serious apologies and perhaps a promise to sincerely consider the consequences of your Christian worldview of hell...what your slip says about you, but more importantly, what it says about your god.
I feel I have given apologies where apologies were due. At this point, I cannot, in sincerity offer anymore. Lastly, I believe in hell because, I feel in my deepest depression, I have had a taste of it. That state is so horrible, I would not wish it on my worst enemy (even Matt...okay...sorry I said that, I am feeling remorse for it now...I don't damn you. In that moment I did, well, luckily, I'm not God, so it doesn't count worth sh*t anyway. Please accept my apology also, NinjaTux. In writing this, I can feel the resentment disappating and that is a relief. Ignore what I just said a few lines up. Me imagining hell, and then imagining you two in it just put things back into perspective for me.  You two deserve my apology. I am sorry.). Believe it or not, I care about you here all too much to wish that fate upon you. Yes, I know, I am a touchy feely sort. What can I say... I don't think it's going to change.

So, someone has probably already said it, but, it's pretty obvious I don't belong here... You can move me to Trollville now!!!

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: Iruka

sugarfree wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

I accept your apology.

Thank you. I am relieved to hear that.

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I have to disagree on the part about losing my moral compass. I am generally a quiet type and am of the mind that in most cases, it is best to let actions speak for themselves. About a month ago, I heard about the Blaphemy Challenge and found this site. This was my first (and last) foray into sharing my faith over the internet. As I am inexperienced at it, you got to witness my comedy of errors! However, my deduction, after this experience, is that this method of sharing is not the most fruitful. To that end, I do have to agree with you about not sharing to much personal info on these forums. Live and learn some things the hard way! To be honest, I am quite happy in my relationship with Jesus, and tho, I'd wish for others to be able to have the same thing, I know it's a personal decision that can never be forced upon a person.

Iruka Naminori wrote:

LOL. Well, it is your property so I cannot argue with that.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
If you come to an atheist site, you should expect criticism.
You might say, I jumped in with both feet and didn't think to much about the temperature of the water. To be honest, you all are a rough crowd, I underestimated. Personally, I think it would better serve your views if there were not so much condescension, but that is up for you all to decide and not me as I have no stake in what goes on here.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
And if god really is on your side, you should also be able to handle it without, say, wishing Mattshizzle and NinjaTux end up in hell.
Those were really horrible things to say. But, on the flipside, what they said to me was so horribly offensive, based on my past struggles that I was beside myself, and (make fun if you will) had to leave my desk and go hide in the work bathroom to cry. For people to mock my depression, my current success and ability to maintain my own healing, my knowledge about how to support my own healing. Iruka, those comments, speaking from my side were the lowest of the low and very painful for me to endure. And the thing that makes it worse is, I believe, they may even yet, read these words and throw my pain back in my face to mock me. I believe that is just simply inhumane. Granted, I have said some things here out of anger, but I made an honest effort to apologize for my wrongs. That is why, when my head finally cleared this afternoon, I realized I owed you, of all people, an apology. To be perfectly honest, I am not ready to apologize to Matt and NinjaTux. I am still harboring resentments and I do not believe in false apologies.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
The immorality of the Christian worldview was defined by your moments of weakness. Consider that you were behaving just like your god. Consider that if your god really is omnipotent and omniscient, he could have figured out a way to keep everyone out of hell. Your desire to see Matt and Ninja in hell reminded me so much of that vile creature YHWH in the Old Testament. If you believe Christian doctrine, the only logical conclusion is that god really does want people to go to hell...and apparently, in moments of weakness, so do his followers.
My Christian faith does not mean I am going to be perfect, however, it requires me, when I realize I have fallen short of God's moral expectations of me, to make amends. I have tried to do that. To be absolutely honest with you, I hate the emotions that welled up in my when I read Matt's and Ninja's posts. I hate that I, in that moment, did not care about them one iota. That is not the right stance to take, and I know it. Even tho I feel, unfortunately, that they do not care one iota for me, I know I must love them anyway. And, I believe I will get to that point, however, the wounds are still too raw. But, to be honest, it was not just them. I was quite shocked by your angry response to me, then to read JCE's angry words...and then to be mocked by Matt and Ninja...that was the last straw and my anger got the best of me. I do realize, now, however, from your perspective, how you perceived me as trying to tell you what to do. I also realized that, it does not matter what I said to you or how I said it. It doesn't matter if I had sent you a dozen roses along with it. The simple fact that you felt disrespected by my words means I needed to take responsibility for causing that...thus the apology.

Iruka Naminori wrote:
I feel I have given apologies where apologies were due. At this point, I cannot, in sincerity offer anymore. Lastly, I believe in hell because, I feel in my deepest depression, I have had a taste of it. That state is so horrible, I would not wish it on my worst enemy (even Matt...okay...sorry I said that, I am feeling remorse for it now...I don't damn you. In that moment I did, well, luckily, I'm not God, so it doesn't count worth sh*t anyway. Please accept my apology also, NinjaTux. In writing this, I can feel the resentment disappating and that is a relief. Ignore what I just said a few lines up. Me imagining hell, and then imagining you two in it just put things back into perspective for me. You two deserve my apology. I am sorry.). Believe it or not, I care about you here all too much to wish that fate upon you. Yes, I know, I am a touchy feely sort. What can I say... I don't think it's going to change.

So, someone has probably already said it, but, it's pretty obvious I don't belong here... You can move me to Trollville now!!!

Apology accepted.  I've just gone back and re-read all my posts to you in this thread, and I've come to a conclusion.  I'm just no that funny online.  I'd be willing to bet that most of what you thought I was saying as an insult was actually an attempt (keyword) at humor. Well, up to the point that you and Iruka had y'alls mini-Hiroshima moment.  After that I was my natural asshole self.  I make no apologies for myself in that regard.

I started thinking about this thread and came to the conclusion that you are now more like us thatn you realize.  Over the last few days you have experienced what anyone of us experiences on a daily basis.  We can hide it for self-preservation, but alot of us actively chose to be honest with ourselvses and others.  Honestly, you would probably be better suited to discuss/debate on the site now.  Since you paid the cost of learning the lessons, you might as well get to use them.  

I always believe in giving people second, third, fourth...not infinite...but a lot of chances.  i don't see anything to forgive or forget.  It got heated and words were spoken.   So, what's the price of tea in china these days.....

No Gods, Know Peace.

sugarfree
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux wrote: Apology

NinjaTux wrote:

Apology accepted.

Thanks NinjaTux.

NinjaTux wrote:

I've just gone back and re-read all my posts to you in this thread, and I've come to a conclusion. I'm just no that funny online.

This made me chuckle tho.

NinjaTux wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that most of what you thought I was saying as an insult was actually an attempt (keyword) at humor.
Possibly. Humor does not seem to translate well online, especially, I'm noticing in these types of debates.

NinjaTux wrote:
Well, up to the point that you and Iruka had y'alls mini-Hiroshima moment.
That's a good way to describe it.

NinjaTux wrote:
I started thinking about this thread and came to the conclusion that you are now more like us thatn you realize. Over the last few days you have experienced what anyone of us experiences on a daily basis. We can hide it for self-preservation, but alot of us actively chose to be honest with ourselvses and others.
This is a fair assessment. You have taught me to leave you guys alone with the faith thing because you have already heard it. You already have the information you need to make the choice, so there is no sense in me reiterating. If it makes you feel better, I do not engage in these types of conversations in public. At work, I only know who the Christians are because I see things on their desk, or they mention church so I know it is safe to talk about. If we have atheists in our midst, which odds are we do, I do not know about it. I do not think it is appropriate to openly discuss spiritual matters at work, especially since it is on someone else's dollar. And the last thing I am going to do is go up to someone on the street and tell them they are going to hell (I only mention hell when I'm extremely upset!! Eye-wink Even then I didn't say he was going, I just said I didn't care...there's a difference, lol.). So, out in the real world, you would not be getting any grief from me.

NinjaTux wrote:
Honestly, you would probably be better suited to discuss/debate on the site now. Since you paid the cost of learning the lessons, you might as well get to use them.
Perhaps, but I am a little gun shy now. I do not wish to get myself up in a tizzy like that again... It's not worth it.  Quite frankly, I need a break!

NinjaTux wrote:
I always believe in giving people second, third, fourth...not infinite...but a lot of chances. i don't see anything to forgive or forget. It got heated and words were spoken. So, what's the price of tea in china these days.....

No problem. Thanks again.

Largo
Largo's picture
User is offlineOffline
sugarfree wrote: I'm not

sugarfree wrote:
I'm not special because I believe in God, I'm special because that's his opinion, and we are all equal in that respect because he honors all his children equally. Which means, you an I are on even playing ground, from my point of view.
(bolding by Largo)I've been reading this thread for a while now and staying out of it because there seems to be a lot of emotion on both sides. But this statement, that god respects all of his children equally, could not be further from the truth, by the bible you, as a christian, must profess to believe in. You don't have to read very far in the old testament to reach the flood, in which the god that purported to have created all life claimed to have wiped all of it out, saving a sampling of species that were incapable of wrongdoing and a total of eight humans, who resumed wrongdoing as soon as the waters subsided. Or were those eight people this god's only children? By the time of the new testament, he supposedly sent himself in the form of his own son to tell all his human children that they should love their enemies, while proclaiming that he would first destroy all of his, then resurrect them and torture them forever because, after all, he was love itself.
See? You will never gain a foothold here, because we we actually know this stuff. And we will never convince you because you see your god through a lense with petrolium jelly smeared on it, producing an indistinct, warm and fuzzy image that looks too sweet ever to do all those awful things he actually brags that he has done and will do forever.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have posted Friday

I would have posted Friday but 138 posts was too much for me to look through then. I was looking through them all but figured I'd just stop when I got to this:

sugarfree wrote:
Currently you do not recognize a need in yourself for God, so obviously you are going to conclude that he is not there.

So you only believe in god because you are emotionally dependant on having someone powerful and capable watching over you. At least it's been put down rationally.

Might as well continue with the response to my last post now.

sugarfree wrote:
So, if I am remembering correctly, this would be utilitarianism? If I am also remembering correctly, the possible pitfall of this philosophy is the chance for a person or institution to justify evil acts because they help the greater humanity.

I would say that's a possible pitfall of any morality. Unless you're going to tell me that you wouldn't kill someone to save 5 billion others. If someone held a button that would destroy the world(obviously as close to impossible as we're going to get, but fits for the question), and the only way to stop them from destroying the world and all the hundreds of trillions of life forms on the world was to kill the person holding the button, would you kill them? Or would you effectively commit mass murder and suicide by letting the person press the button, when you could have stopped him? Now obviously this is an extreme example, but I needed one to illustrate my point properly.

sugarfree wrote:
Just for comparison's sake, I look to Jesus for my morality. When he was asked "What is the greatest commandment" he gave a two part answer, 1) love God with all your heart, 2) love your neighbor as yourself. The second part is pretty much the golden rule, however, he entwines the golden rule with the commandment to love God. I believe this is to protect against the possible damage that can occur in the purely utilitarian approach. The idea is that one must understand the moral character of God so that when one goes on to make decisions the common good, they are in line with God's character (i.e., devoid of evil).

Then why are there so many people who believe in a god(even yours) yet do things I and the majority of western civilization say are evil? It's obviously not a defense at all. In fact, because of the nature of religion to band like minded individuals together, it increases the risk of collateral damage. Instead of one person making an error, you have hundreds or thousands or millions. Compounding that error exponentially.

sugarfree wrote:
I think this can be applied to some of the misunderstandings/disagreements regarding stem cell research. A Christian is more likely to mull over a scientific advancement as he/she parses out the possible positives and negatives of that advancement. Given the pros and the cons, they ask themselves, tho this may help the greater good, is it acceptible to God, Is it evil? So, what you perceive as Christians dragging their feet is actually them trying to determine what is going to be best for humanity in the long run. Christians want to help humanity, but not at the risk of introducing a potentially greater evil into the world that could actually lead to greater human suffering.

Where is the evil in pulling something out of the trash can to save lives? There's no logic in the suggestion. The cures for most or all diseases and defects could be sitting in the dump instead of working towards it's potential in labs.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.