Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is Homosexuality Still Wrong? (Moved from the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum)

i really hope this is in the right place but i shall go ahead for now.

I dont have a bible handy on me right now , but i am pretty sure that the only ruling agains Homosexuality was in the old testament.

so my question is since you guys and girls keeps aying the old testament rules dont count anymore since jesus sacrficed himself. why is homosexuality seen as wrong?

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Ahhh those

AiiA wrote:

Ahhh those were the days huh razorphreak! Do you remember? Boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, hmmmm. "Which sex do I want to be with to make love to...to have sex with?" Is this what you asked yourself before you made your personal choice?

[...snipped for length...] 

And because you claim it is a choice, you must have been sexually attracted to males at one time, right? Is this what you are saying? Did you reject all those males you were attracted to because it says in the bible it is wrong? It must have been a very trying time for you in deciding to be attracted to females when you were in fact attracted to males also, but, oh well, you must obey the bible. Can you give some details on how you went about forcing yourself not to look at males?

[edited for language]

*Wanders into thread*

I'm SO waiting for this reply. I really am curious. If it IS in fact a choice, then everyone one day must have made this choice, right? Personally I'm bisexual, one day I realized I was attracted to both. I didn't CHOOSE to be. But apparently, if i choose to NOT be attracted to girls, I can actually be straight. I'm kind of curious how I would go about this. Theoretically. This is intriguing. Cool

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: So, even if

magilum wrote:
So, even if you concede that their proclivity is nature's doing, it's still their fault that they choose a lifestyle that hurts no one rather than live a lifetime of conflicted angst for your benefit.

You are told you cannot drive down the highway at 100 mph or there will be consequences.  You do it anyway and one day it happens that you took a turn too fast and crashed.  You didn't head any warning about your future and then the warnings came about.  Now despite the warnings, someone else wants to make it legal to go down that same stretch of road at 100 mph.  It hurts no one because the one's killed are always single car accidents so only the one doing the action is affected.  But yet those who want to go down that path want the public to support their actions.

magilum wrote:
A totally meaningless statement.

I guess you missed the part where I said you wouldn't accept it?  I didn't need to hear your rejection of God; I already knew it was there.

magilum wrote:
you still haven't answered the question I, or GlamourKat, had about that distinction about “not hating” someone but disapproving and obstructing them anyway.

Already done.  If you can't read what I've already written or don't understand what I wrote, not exactly sure what else I can do for you. 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: razorphreak

Susan wrote:
razorphreak wrote:
I'll put it this way; I have more than one friend who is gay, ..., these friends do not agree with me as those here that it is a choice,
I admit I'm baffled that you have gay friends that tell you it was not their choice to be gay, yet you still believe it was their choice. You got the information from the horse's mouth, so to speak.I'm really confused.  Do you think your friends are telling you that it wasn't their choice and that they're fibbing to you?
The whole problem is that theists have a "belief." My philosophy professor asked us once what was the difference between a religious belief and a superstition. Point being, nothing. They're both things that cannot be proven to be true yet people still believe them to be. Now with this being said to say you "believe" something to be a choice when there is far more scientific proof that it is NOT a choice is relying on something akin to superstition/religious belief. Looking at the evidence tells you there's more to it than choice. Saying gay people have a choice is like saying straight people have a choice to which I reply well then, you might want to go out and have sex with someone of the same sex just to make SURE your choice to be straight is correct. It just doesn't work that way. Again, I've always told people who slander gays and lesbians that if they want to come up with some reasoning, go right ahead, I can refute all of them with ACTUAL facts. People will believe anything that they're told if they're comfortable doing so. If it doesn't affect them it's so much easier to say "I believe it's a choice" than to research heavily and THEN say such a thing. That's the reason why so many theists think so, they simply aren't educated enough to know otherwise. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:

GlamourKat wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Ahhh those were the days huh razorphreak! Do you remember? Boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, hmmmm. "Which sex do I want to be with to make love to...to have sex with?" Is this what you asked yourself before you made your personal choice?

[...snipped for length...]

And because you claim it is a choice, you must have been sexually attracted to males at one time, right? Is this what you are saying? Did you reject all those males you were attracted to because it says in the bible it is wrong? It must have been a very trying time for you in deciding to be attracted to females when you were in fact attracted to males also, but, oh well, you must obey the bible. Can you give some details on how you went about forcing yourself not to look at males?

[edited for language]

*Wanders into thread*

I'm SO waiting for this reply. I really am curious. If it IS in fact a choice, then everyone one day must have made this choice, right? Personally I'm bisexual, one day I realized I was attracted to both. I didn't CHOOSE to be. But apparently, if i choose to NOT be attracted to girls, I can actually be straight. I'm kind of curious how I would go about this. Theoretically. This is intriguing. Cool

I'm thinking that if razorphreak made a choice then he is actually bi-sexual right? And he is really in denial for the sake of the bible. And notice that he seems to be ignoring my observation.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Razor, I've twisted

Razor, I've twisted nothing. If it makes you uncomfortable that I'm simply pointing out the inconsistencies in your posts then "there's nothing I can do." You have said time and time again if society says gay people can marry, then so be it, but you won't vote for it and you also won't picket if people say we DO deserve the same rights to which I'm saying that doing so in the voting booth is akin to picketing on the streets. I use the term terrorism because by definition this is exactly that. The tactics of fear are alive and well.

Trying to pack the courts with Christian judges to "protect America", pack the schools with bibles "to keep kids moral", create laws based on Christian ideology "because this way is the only way" and shoving the religion down the throats of every American by doing such things is, by definition, a terroristic behavior. Not all theists are terrorists but as soon as their ideology crosses the church/state line and begins enforcing its laws and ideology on citizens REGARDLESS then that, by it's very nature, is terroristic behavior. And I'll say it again, how on earth can you level with someone when their methods of conformity, conversion, coercion are not subject to question? Scientists and doctors around the world are overwhelmingly on the side of GLBT citizens but like many other biblical tales the church pins science against the wall and strong-arms it into doing what it says regardless of the facts. How is this not terroristic behavior? Whether you're using a bomb like abortion clinic bombers, a vote, hate-speech masked as "religious love speech" or otherwise it's still terroristic behavior. Ignoring this fact doesn't make it go away.

I've been in the statehouse while thousands upon thousands of CHRISTIANS were standing around shouting how evil gays were, how they were going to destroy the country, how they must "protect marriage," and getting little kids as young as five years old to chant "god hates fags." I've been to events where the KKK was outside with signs saying we should all die in the name of GOD. The fact that nearly EVERY STATE in this country has done such things says to me that there are a whole lot of people out there with this behavior. When we see the same behavior in other countries we gasp and think how awful! You need to remember that gays and lesbians were picked out and thrown into the gas chambers in Nazi Germany, too, my friend. They were considered the worst of ALL people in the concentration camps. Nazi ideology is alive and well in America but theists today call it "protection from..." I know Americans would like to forget that, though. It makes their anti-gay behavior seems so...evil. Mask it as "protecting people from the gays" and calling it "love" ... yeah...that's the ticket. I prefer to call a spade a spade.

To ignore that we have Christian politicians in office right now who, by their religious upbringing, believe that gays and lesbians should be hung should be an outrage, but it's not. They envision the same treatment as Hitler did and this should not be ignored, but we do. Creating laws that segregate the GLBT population is simply the first step and anyone with a shred of historical knowledge would know this. The events leading up to the persecution of GLBT citizens is similar to how they're trying to do it here. Looks like we took something from him on his treatment of gays like he did from early American Christian settlers and politicians' treatment of American Indians. Sick. Yell 

I will never accept your "explanation" because it is NOT an explanation and it never HAS been. It's based on no scientific evidence, nothing verifiable and therefore is nothing more than an ideological belief - SUPERSTITION. Come up with a good solid argument and we'll talk but you're simply talking in terms of religious mantras which here, mean nothing. You can't prove any point by bible quoting or saying that because that's what you believe it should be law. There needs to be more to it other than "because I said so." But that's all the bible is and that's all your argument rests on. Hence, it's not an argument or a justifiable position at all. Maybe if this were the Dark Ages or in the prime of Hitler's reign. If people don't stand up to this "explanation" it eventually will revert us back to those days. 

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: But yet

razorphreak wrote:

But yet those who want to go down that path want the public to support their actions.

Prove to me that homosexuality is as dangerous as you say it is with reliable scientific evidence from non-biased scientific journals and studies and I would like the proof alongside the same evidence as compiled for heterosexual individuals, as well. Simply stating it's dangerous and coming up with irrelevant analogies isn't fact. Please provide adequate evidence for your claim. 

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:
so you feel you know more about the ins and outs of your friends' sexuality then they do? what on earth makes you think you do?

What is it with you guys assuming?

what am i assuming? this is what you've TOLD us. when your gay friends tell you their sexuality is not a choice, and you choose to believe otherwise, you either: 1) think your gay friends are lying or 2) you believe you know more about their sexuality than they do. please show me where my assumption comes in. seems to me you are finally realizing how silly some of your positions really are when they are presented back to you.

razorphreak wrote:

Susan wrote:
I admit I'm baffled that you have gay friends that tell you it was not their choice to be gay, yet you still believe it was their choice.

I'm really confused. Do you think your friends are telling you that it wasn't their choice and that they're fibbing to you?

Even if I was to concede that you were "born gay", it is by God's word that his creation of human beings are, in short, man + woman. It is by the CHOICE of the individual to have sexual relations from that point. So even if you were not attracted to the opposite sex, you still chose to engage in a relationship with the same sex. And before you give me this "everyone deserves to be happy" bit, how much happiness do you have if you are blind? How much do you have if you are lonely? How much do you have when your life is constantly surrounded by sorrow? While I know you would disagree with this next statement, that is your life without God. Giving in to the desires of the flesh is what spawns the immoral activity and pushes you away from God moment by moment.

yep, i choose not to be celibate for some fictional deity. and my heart breaks for anyone who does.

and i already had your god. for the majority of my life, in fact. and i'm much happier, more content, and at peace without it.

razorphreak wrote:

As to my friends, with each we got to know who each one of us was as an individual and there was no judgement.

except when you judge their sexuality and/or sexual behavior to be immoral.

razorphreak wrote:

There was no hate. To these people that I regard as friends, I would do most anything for,

except let them get married.

razorphreak wrote:

just as I would do for strangers though the strength of God. Because I do not agree with their choice does not mean that I would throw them aside or not show them love as one individual does to another in brothership because of a choice.

you won't throw them aside, but you'll discriminate against them and deny them rights they are completely entitled to. and i don't see that as love. 

razorphreak wrote:

I have friends that do drugs, should I toss them aside because of that choice? I have friends that are users of women and decievers to get their sexual desires...should I toss them aside as well even though that is also immoral? I tell them each, don't use drugs, it's not right, but they do it anyway. I tell another don't go out looking to seduce a woman just to get your nut but they do it. I tell them don't give in to your desire to be gay but they do it. To each they understand I do not agree with their choices (their sins) to which you could say I hate their choice because it is not the right choice to make before the eyes of God, but that does not mean that I myself hate them (the person) as all people, including myself and my friends, are not perfect.

no, you don't hate them. but you do discriminate against them. and you do wish to deny them their rights. and i don't see that as very much better. so i'm not sure why you are arguing the hate angle. even without hate, your position is still a shameful one.

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

this is what you've TOLD us. when your gay friends tell you their sexuality is not a choice, and you choose to believe otherwise, you either: 1) think your gay friends are lying or 2) you believe you know more about their sexuality than they do. please show me where my assumption comes in. seems to me you are finally realizing how silly some of your positions really are when they are presented back to you.

I actually said I know the ins and outs of their sexuality?  I actually said that I think my friends are lying?  This is what I mean by assuming!! 

yep, i choose not to be celibate for some fictional deity. and my heart breaks for anyone who does.

and i already had your god. for the majority of my life, in fact. and i'm much happier, more content, and at peace without it.

Those who don't need the desires of the flesh because they have that from the spirit all they need (don't even go to the pervered side ok) live a life which not even I can describe since I am not there.

As to you being an ex-Christian, I could say I the same about being Catholic.  All my life I lived and breathed what that dogma preached and when I realized how wrong I was because the true meanings of what Jesus, the bible, and faith are were revealed to me, I understood I never had God until recently.  I'd venture to say that is the same for quite a number of Christians today.  Very few have the faith because it was given from above - they are simply following what they know and I'd even venture to say you did the same.  I can say that because when it comes from above, there is no denying it nor is there an easy way to avoid it.

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I

razorphreak wrote:

I actually said I know the ins and outs of their sexuality? I actually said that I think my friends are lying? This is what I mean by assuming!!

yeah, that's exactly what you're telling us with your comment. those are your two choices. unless you've got another option for us. why don't you show me how i'm assuming. show me how i'm wrong.

razorphreak wrote:

Those who don't need the desires of the flesh because they have that from the spirit all they need (don't even go to the pervered side ok) live a life which not even I can describe since I am not there.

i'd rather have a partner than be best friends with beings who live only in my head. so are you going to abstain? or are you going to get married and live your little amercian dream all the while expecting me to become an ascetic in your religion?

razorphreak wrote:

As to you being an ex-Christian, I could say I the same about being Catholic. All my life I lived and breathed what that dogma preached and when I realized how wrong I was because the true meanings of what Jesus, the bible, and faith are were revealed to me, I understood I never had God until recently. I'd venture to say that is the same for quite a number of Christians today. Very few have the faith because it was given from above - they are simply following what they know and I'd even venture to say you did the same. I can say that because when it comes from above, there is no denying it nor is there an easy way to avoid it.

yes, yes, the old "you just didn't really have (or know) god" routine. i like that one. and i'm sure i would have told any ex-christian the same myself when i was a christian, because i really had god. i know, i know, you don't believe me. i doubt i would have believed myself either. and i certainly didn't imagine that i'd become an atheist. maybe you'll get lucky like me and become free from living according to the superstitions of acient men.

Rill

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

yeah, that's exactly what you're telling us with your comment. those are your two choices. unless you've got another option for us. why don't you show me how i'm assuming. show me how i'm wrong.

Now you are lying.  I didn't say those words, you did, and you are wrong because I never said those words. 

yes, yes, the old "you just didn't really have (or know) god" routine. i like that one. and i'm sure i would have told any ex-christian the same myself when i was a christian, because i really had god. i know, i know, you don't believe me. i doubt i would have believed myself either. and i certainly didn't imagine that i'd become an atheist. maybe you'll get lucky like me and become free from living according to the superstitions of acient men.

I will say this, you are right about one thing; I didn't know who you were before so for all I know you did hear God, you did know the faith.  Not sure what that would say given the fact that upon one test you fled it.  But that's the choice you've made.  As for me, I see all this information, all this so called science, and I've done quite a bit of research upon it, and guess what, I still believe.  May you be happy and live in peace with your decision. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a gentle warning. 

Just a gentle warning.  Please be respectful. 

Razor, if I came across as disrespectful, I apologize.  I tried very hard to word my posts so they weren't accusatory.  Again, if they sounded that way, I'm sorry.

So everyone, please remember this is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

No cussing.  No insults.  No name calling.

You may disagree, but please do it respectfully. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: *Wanders

GlamourKat wrote:

*Wanders into thread*

AiiA wrote:
I'm thinking that if razorphreak made a choice then he is actually bi-sexual right? And he is really in denial for the sake of the bible. And notice that he seems to be ignoring my observation.

Yeah, that seems to be the angle he's arguing. I have friends who are completely straight, and not from any sort of effort. I also have virgin gay friends, who arent attracted to girls AT ALL, but refrain from having...."relations" with men at this point. I always wondered if that was "okay" biblically. Tongue out

But I've never met anyone who was bisexual but chose to "act straight". It makes it sound like gay men are either bisexual but choose to have sex with men exclusively, or straight men who for some reason, choose to have sex with men even though they are not attracted to them......

As I said, I find this absolutely intriguing. Any words on this, razorphreak? I'm honestly curious about this choice thing.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: AiiA

GlamourKat wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the angle he's arguing. I have friends who are completely straight, and not from any sort of effort. I also have virgin gay friends, who arent attracted to girls AT ALL, but refrain from having...."relations" with men at this point. I always wondered if that was "okay" biblically.

I'm not sure how you figure I'm bisexual.  That sounded more like a personal attack intended to get me pissed or who knows what.  I'm not attracted to men. 

glamor, it's between that person and God if its "okay".

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Just a gentle

Susan wrote:

Just a gentle warning. Please be respectful.

Razor, if I came across as disrespectful, I apologize. I tried very hard to word my posts so they weren't accusatory. Again, if they sounded that way, I'm sorry.

No cussing. No insults. No name calling.

Sorry boss. Smiling You might want to know that on several pages it doesn't tell you what thread the topic was posted under. Like right now it just says the following...may be a gliche so sometimes it's hard for us to tell which "header" it's under. As always, you rock. Sealed Anyway...here's how it appears on my screen...

Home » Why is Homosexuality , still wrong? 

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: I also

GlamourKat wrote:

I also have virgin gay friends, who arent attracted to girls AT ALL, but refrain from having...."relations" with men at this point. I always wondered if that was "okay" biblically.

Actually, yes. Catholics believe you're born gay but you just can't act gay. Can you imagine forcing straight people to have sex with people of the same sex because it was the societal norm? They act like it's just no big deal to force this same thing on gay people. It's frustrating that they can't see outside of their own sexuality to understand anyone else's but yet still try to dictate for them. Nazi Germany did it, too. I'm waiting for the day when they ship everyone off to their own island. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Susan

Lynette1977 wrote:
Susan wrote:

Just a gentle warning. Please be respectful.

Razor, if I came across as disrespectful, I apologize. I tried very hard to word my posts so they weren't accusatory. Again, if they sounded that way, I'm sorry.

No cussing. No insults. No name calling.

Sorry boss. Smiling You might want to know that on several pages it doesn't tell you what thread the topic was posted under. Like right now it just says the following...may be a gliche so sometimes it's hard for us to tell which "header" it's under. As always, you rock. Sealed Anyway...here's how it appears on my screen...

Home » Why is Homosexuality , still wrong?

Unfortunately that's how it displays sometimes.  That's why, when I first come onto the forums each day, I come in through the main page so I know exactly where I am.  (Not always an easy thing in my case!)  After I go through Kill 'Em With Kindness and Freethinker's, then I use the "recent posts" function. 

You rock, too!  Smile

Now, back to the discussion at hand...

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

Now you are lying. I didn't say those words, you did, and you are wrong because I never said those words.

i never said you said those words. what i said is: "that's exactly what you're telling us with your comment." i'm sorry you've taken that to mean you've actually typed them out. what that sentence means is that your comment tells (or shows, or indicates, etc.) us one of two things: 1) you believe your friends are being dishonest with you or 2) you believe you know more about your friends' sexuality than they do. you say i am assuming, as if the conclusions i have made are incorrect. so simply show me how they are wrong. that's all i'm asking. show me what i should be inferring from your claim. my original comment didn't come from a desire to piss you off or anything. i was actually genuinely surprised that you didn't take your friends at their word about their own sexuality.

razorphreak wrote:

I will say this, you are right about one thing; I didn't know who you were before so for all I know you did hear God, you did know the faith. Not sure what that would say given the fact that upon one test you fled it.

what makes you think that i fled at one test? i've never told you why i became an atheist. what "one test" do you think it was that caused me to flee? and what evidence do you have that would cause you to claim it to be a "fact"? this is cute, actually. wouldn't this be an assumption? Eye-wink

razorphreak wrote:

But that's the choice you've made. As for me, I see all this information, all this so called science, and I've done quite a bit of research upon it, and guess what, I still believe. May you be happy and live in peace with your decision.

i will, thank you. especially when people stop manhandling my rights.

Rill

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I'm not

razorphreak wrote:

I'm not sure how you figure I'm bisexual. That sounded more like a personal attack intended to get me pissed or who knows what. I'm not attracted to men.

glamor, it's between that person and God if its "okay".

Whoa whoa whoa. That was NO personal attack. I just want to know HOW sexuality is a choice, if you in fact did not choose.  What do youbase this idea off of? What possible reason would people who "were created by god to be straight" have to choose to be gay?

By the way, gayness does not equal insult in my eyes. If someone were gay, I wouldn't bring it up as a way to piss anyone off. The fact that you interpreted it as a potential insult says more to me about the way you percieve homosexuality than the entire rest of this thread.

So, chill, it wasn't an insult.But if you didn't choose, then why do you think it's a choice? How is that a choice anyone would make?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote: Whoa whoa

GlamourKat wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa. That was NO personal attack. I just want to know HOW sexuality is a choice, if you in fact did not choose. What do youbase this idea off of? What possible reason would people who "were created by god to be straight" have to choose to be gay?

By the way, gayness does not equal insult in my eyes. If someone were gay, I wouldn't bring it up as a way to piss anyone off. The fact that you interpreted it as a potential insult says more to me about the way you percieve homosexuality than the entire rest of this thread.

So, chill, it wasn't an insult.But if you didn't choose, then why do you think it's a choice? How is that a choice anyone would make?

No it was personal considering I have already stated I was straight.  It has nothing to do with how I perceive "gayness" as you called it but the fact that it was directly soley at me after I've already stated within this thread I was not attracted to men.  Don't turn it around because you know full well what that sounded like... 

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

No it was personal considering I have already stated I was straight. It has nothing to do with how I perceive "gayness" as you called it but the fact that it was directly soley at me after I've already stated within this thread I was not attracted to men. Don't turn it around because you know full well what that sounded like...

Gah, it was not an attack. In any way whatsoever. I don't consider asking someone if he chose to be only attracted to females as an insult. I'm sorry if I offended, but gayness doesn't equal an insult to me, okay? I want to know how you consider it a choice, if you in fact did not choose.

Okay, so hypothetically, god doesn't create gay people, right? They are not born that way, correct? God only makes straight people. So what POSSIBLE reason would a gay person have to be gay? Obviously they aren't attracted to men, since god doesn't MAKE men who are attracted to men. So why would they make this choice? Who chooses to be gay? Noone I know.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
GlamourKat wrote:

GlamourKat wrote:
Gah, it was not an attack. In any way whatsoever. I don't consider asking someone if he chose to be only attracted to females as an insult. I'm sorry if I offended, but gayness doesn't equal an insult to me, okay?

And being called gay is not an insult to me either (because if you don't know it's ok to ask) but when there are eight pages to a thread and I've stated my positions on this topic very clearly including my sexual orientation and after all that someone comes out insinuating something else, that doesn't sound like someone being inquisitive...

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:
GlamourKat wrote:
Gah, it was not an attack. In any way whatsoever. I don't consider asking someone if he chose to be only attracted to females as an insult. I'm sorry if I offended, but gayness doesn't equal an insult to me, okay?

And being called gay is not an insult to me either but when there are eight pages to a thread and I've stated my positions on this topic very clearly including my sexual orientation and after all that someone comes out insinuating something else, that doesn't sound very inquisitive...
Then why did you call it a personal attack?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
You are told you cannot

You are told you cannot drive down the highway at 100 mph or there will be consequences. You do it anyway and one day it happens that you took a turn too fast and crashed. You didn't head any warning about your future and then the warnings came about. Now despite the warnings, someone else wants to make it legal to go down that same stretch of road at 100 mph. It hurts no one because the one's killed are always single car accidents so only the one doing the action is affected. But yet those who want to go down that path want the public to support their actions.

For anyone wandering into this thread midway through, this is razorphreak's analogy for homosexuality.

I guess you missed the part where I said you wouldn't accept it? I didn't need to hear your rejection of God; I already knew it was there.

Whoa, I thought I was talking to Nostradamus for a second there.

Already done. If you can't read what I've already written or don't understand what I wrote, not exactly sure what else I can do for you.

WHERE??? The SECOND time I replied to a post of yours in all history you were already *****ing to me that you'd already answered my questions. You never got that New Testament support for your brand of Christianity you were crowing about, and a brief look at what's transpired since I and GlamourKat posted reveals you have not addressed the question about the PRACTICAL difference between hating the sinner and hating the sin. I'm a micrometer from dismissing you as a troller.

[MOD EDIT for language]

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Then why did

AiiA wrote:
Then why did you call it a personal attack?

If you aren't asking a question then you are making a statement, one that is false because the answer already was given, hence directed right at me. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I bowed out of this thread

I bowed out of this thread rather early on but I've been trying to keep track of what's going on in here. 

Razor, why can't you just admit that because of the beliefs you and others share, homosexuals are not given the same legal rights as heterosexuals?  Look at the laws, it's there in black and white.  If you feel so strongly about your beliefs and your views on homosexuals, I don't understand why you can't own up to the fact that your views and those who share your views impede on homosexuals rights.  Just own up to it, please.

And if you already have and I missed it, my apologies. 

Also, please don't ignore this post, as you have with other ones that I've posted.  Thanks.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

GlamourKat wrote:

And being called gay is not an insult to me either (because if you don't know it's ok to ask) but when there are eight pages to a thread and I've stated my positions on this topic very clearly including my sexual orientation and after all that someone comes out insinuating something else, that doesn't sound like someone being inquisitive...

obviously it is an insult to you, since you keep insisting being called such is a personal attack. she's told you she didn't mean it as a personal attack and apologized for causing offense. so are you going to keep beating this dead horse, or are you going to address her question?

Rill

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

so are you going to keep beating this dead horse, or are you going to address her question?

What, you mean these questions? Laughing

GlamourKat wrote:
But I've never met anyone who was bisexual but chose to "act straight". It makes it sound like gay men are either bisexual but choose to have sex with men exclusively, or straight men who for some reason, choose to have sex with men even though they are not attracted to them......

As I said, I find this absolutely intriguing. Any words on this, razorphreak? I'm honestly curious about this choice thing.

GlamourKat wrote:
I just want to know HOW sexuality is a choice, if you in fact did not choose. What do youbase this idea off of? What possible reason would people who "were created by god to be straight" have to choose to be gay?

GlamourKat wrote:
Okay, so hypothetically, god doesn't create gay people, right? They are not born that way, correct? God only makes straight people. So what POSSIBLE reason would a gay person have to be gay? Obviously they aren't attracted to men, since god doesn't MAKE men who are attracted to men. So why would they make this choice? Who chooses to be gay? Noone I know.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sigh.  Once again, Razor

Sigh.  Once again, Razor will ignore my posts. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK folks.  Again. THIS IS

OK folks.  Again.

THIS IS THE KILL 'EM WITH KINDNESS THREAD. 

Please tone down some of the pointed and sarcastic comments. 

No attacks.  No insults.  No foul language.  No name calling.

It shouldn't be necesssary for this many reminders to be posted in one thread. 

Please practice civility. 

Supenmanu
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Why is Homosexuality ,

Why is Homosexuality , still wrong?

I replied: "simple if everyone was homosexual humankind would become extingt" So then somone homosexual said something like: "well not everyone will become gay, and besides it is a good thing because we are preventing overpopulation". But that's actually the same argument the Nazis used and also the same arguement Communist  Regimes use today. The problem is not that we have too many people on earth. The thing is that we could easily feed all those starving people if everyone where to observe morality, and think more of others. There is no such thing as Hitlers concept of limited "Living Room" there is enough room on the earth for everyone... even for homosexuals... (even though i personaly think of homosexuals intercourse as something very immoral) 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Supenmanu wrote: Why is

Supenmanu wrote:

Why is Homosexuality , still wrong?

(even though i personaly think of homosexuals intercourse as something very immoral)

In another thread you said:

Quote:
... any americans are extremely devoted to their believe in theism or atheism without really independetly having thought about it themselves, using their own brains, so when anybody challenges them, they have little evidence, and immedeatly get extremly defenceve and cursing and silencing anybody who has different opinions... this i believe holds for many american atheists as well as american theists...)

So what is your evidence that homosexuality is immoral?

Supenmanu
Theist
User is offlineOffline
simple. If you believe God

simple. If you believe God created men and women, it should be obvious to you why he created two genders. Actually if you believe in the Theory of Evolution, it is the same and it should be equally obvious to you why evolution created two genders. It should also be obvious that if you are male you should find a wife, and that if you are female you should find a husband. It should also be obvious that you should treat your wife well, and be true to your wife and raise your children together with your wife in a family.

Also no mather if the human body was designed by God, or was designed by evolution, it should be very obvious what the various openings in the human body are for, and what they are not for. Maybe you say... yes but i tried it, and i figured out that i can eat with my buttock as well. Yes but that's not at all what your buttock is for, because why else would you allready have a mouth for eating?

Actually Darwinism holds that the layout of man changes according to what he does with his limps and stuff. For example if you allways use your arms to try and fly, than according to Darwin, chances are, you will develop wings. Now what would happen if you allways used your body openings for precisly that function that they are not designed for? Maybe in the future man would evolve to have only one opening in the body to eat, excrete, and reproduce?

MythMan_J
Theist
MythMan_J's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wrong Like Suicide

When someone says, "The 'Old Testament'-rules no longer hold," they're not decrying gravity. ('Hey, stuff fell down before the New Testament, so jumping off this building is the new way to travel!' and, if you believe that, you're welcome to try it.)

The New Testament, I just rehd, was the KJV translation of 'the New Covenant (of God and His Chosen).'

It's a continuation of the Old Covenant, except 1) it's how one gains/retains citizenship in the Kingdom of God (not the Kingdom of Israel) and 2) the promised land is not one, solid, physical place, but is the 'worth' (or whatever) of the remaining Chosen.

But jumping off a building is still a 'bad idea.' Just like giving homosexuality an equal place with heterosexuality. If you're not why homosexuality is a bad idea, do this long experiment: take one onion and put it in some fertile ground; then--over the next year--bang two onions together every night ... now, how many onions do you get from each of the activities.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Supenmanu wrote:

Supenmanu wrote:

simple. If you believe God created men and women, it should be obvious to you why he created two genders.
What evidence is there to support the belief that a god created humans? What evidence is there for a god?
Quote:
Actually if you believe in the Theory of Evolution, it is the same and it should be equally obvious to you why evolution created two genders.
There is substantial evidence for evolution, however, there is nothing in the theory that denotes the morality of homosexuality.
Quote:
It should also be obvious that if you are male you should find a wife, and that if you are female you should find a husband. It should also be obvious that you should treat your wife well, and be true to your wife and raise your children together with your wife in a family.

Also no mather if the human body was designed by God, or was designed by evolution, it should be very obvious what the various openings in the human body are for, and what they are not for.
So you think people are like parts on a car?

Quote:
Actually Darwinism holds that the layout of man changes according to what he does with his limps and stuff. For example if you allways use your arms to try and fly, than according to Darwin, chances are, you will develop wings. Now what would happen if you allways used your body openings for precisly that function that they are not designed for? Maybe in the future man would evolve to have only one opening in the body to eat, excrete, and reproduce?
Clearly, you know nothing about Darwin or science. [edited]

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Supenmanu wrote: simple.

Supenmanu wrote:

simple. If you believe God created men and women, it should be obvious to you why he created two genders. Actually if you believe in the Theory of Evolution, it is the same and it should be equally obvious to you why evolution created two genders. It should also be obvious that if you are male you should find a wife, and that if you are female you should find a husband. It should also be obvious that you should treat your wife well, and be true to your wife and raise your children together with your wife in a family.

Also no mather if the human body was designed by God, or was designed by evolution, it should be very obvious what the various openings in the human body are for, and what they are not for. Maybe you say... yes but i tried it, and i figured out that i can eat with my buttock as well. Yes but that's not at all what your buttock is for, because why else would you allready have a mouth for eating?

The proposition that any use of an organ that is contrary to its principle purpose or function is unnatural assumes that organs have a principle purpose or function, but the purpose or function may change according to one's needs or desires. Eyes are for seeing but women may use their eyes to flirt. By flirting with their eyes are women violating the laws of nature?

Sex organs are adapted for procreation, but that’s obviously not the only function for which they are adapted. Choosing one function and calling it the only natural one seems arbitrary, if not question begging.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Supenmanu wrote:

Supenmanu wrote:

I replied: "simple if everyone was homosexual humankind would become extingt"

just because people are gay doesnt mean , the idea of procreation is possible , what about artifical insemination ?

Supenmanu wrote:

So then somone homosexual said something like: "well not everyone will become gay, and besides it is a good thing because we are preventing overpopulation". But that's actually the same argument the Nazis used and also the same arguement Communist Regimes use today. The problem is not that we have too many people on earth. The thing is that we could easily feed all those starving people if everyone where to observe morality, and think more of others.

ummm hitler killed off gays along with jews, have you read a history book?. dont you think if we could easily feed all those starving people it would of happned by now

Supenmanu wrote:

There is no such thing as Hitlers concept of limited "Living Room" there is enough room on the earth for everyone... even for homosexuals... (even though i personaly think of homosexuals intercourse as something very immoral)

why is it immoral? the only back up to your statement is a book , which can not even be proved to be true. so your argument is based on the idea of your right becuase your book says so???

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
From the Catechism of the

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church 

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity.  2333 ...

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues  2347of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote: From the

totus_tuus wrote:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church 

Chastity and homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity.  2333 ...

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues  2347of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

totus_tuus, welcome! 
Please note that copying and pasting catholic dogma isn't any kind of refutation and offers no proof.
Please feel free to discuss and to provide links or articles, but please refrain from just copying and pasting replies.
Thanks!

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
MythMan_J wrote: But

MythMan_J wrote:

But jumping off a building is still a 'bad idea.' Just like giving homosexuality an equal place with heterosexuality. If you're not why homosexuality is a bad idea, do this long experiment: take one onion and put it in some fertile ground; then--over the next year--bang two onions together every night ... now, how many onions do you get from each of the activities.

what about a heterosexual that marries and/or has sex with his/her sterile partner is that a "bad idea"? if you can have children naturally but you choose to adopt, because of the large number of unwanted children in the world, is that a "bad idea"? what about all the homosexuals who are having kids? is homosexuality okay then? and why do you feel we need more "onions"? i find that the people making onions (homosexuals included) are doing a fine job of it, and they really don't need my help. so i'm failing to see how homosexuality is a "bad idea." can you please explain it to me better? thanks.

Rill

MythMan_J
Theist
MythMan_J's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977

Lynette1977 wrote:

Catholics believe you're born gay but you just can't act gay. Can you imagine forcing straight people to have sex with people of the same sex because it was the societal norm? They act like it's just no big deal to force this same thing on gay people. It's frustrating that they can't see outside of their own sexuality to understand anyone else's but yet still try to dictate for them. Nazi Germany did it, too. I'm waiting for the day when they ship everyone off to their own island.

Catholicism is not about how one is to one's self, but rather 'how one acts'. If one sees others acting the way they should as one grows up, one is more likely to act that way almost automatically.

What do you mean by "the societal norm?" Are men you meet unendingly attempting to have sex with you? Maybe I'm too much of a freak for the women I see everyday, or else they'd be jumpin` my bone instead of sayin` Hi?

When I was a Catholic, sex was something that ONLY married-couples did, and then only in private. Am I an old fogey already? 

Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do theists think that

Why do theists think that homosexuality is still wrong? Because the bible says so?

That's just not a good enough answer as we all know that the bible says a whole lot of contradictory things.

Last time I checked, being gay wasn't a choice. Last time I checked, being prosecuted and denied equal rights is not beneficial to anyone and no one would choose such an existance. Ask a black person.

I sure didn't choose to be straight. Hell, I didn't even choose to be a woman! OMG, I didn't even choose my skin colour!!!

But if I had a choice...

You bet I would choose to be white. In a second! Especially during our times! Fine, alrighty then, I'm not allowed to be white??!

Fine, I'm gonna be a man... oh, I guess I don't get to choose that either...

But according to theists, I did choose to be these things based on what they perceive are choices.

And then to have the arrogance of using the theory of evolution to to back up your case against homosexuality?

I just don't get it. I thought Theists didn't believe in the theory of evolution.

Supenmanu wrote:

simple. If you believe God created men and women, it should be obvious to you why he created two genders. Actually if you believe in the Theory of Evolution, it is the same and it should be equally obvious to you why evolution created two genders.

Easy there Supenmanu...

Poor use of using evolution to support your argument.

Clearly, you do not understand evolution. If you look in nature you will see evidence of homosexuality. Jeez, what do you think all the other lions do when the king of the lions gets all the lion babes?!

Or what do the other walruses do when the Biggest Walrus gets all the walrus babes?! Guess what? The pride, or the herd, or a murder (I love that "murder" of crows thing) or flock produces some kind of balance in the group that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with "roles". It produces a population that can take on those roles regardless of gender.

It happens in nature all the time. Therefor it is not considered "unnatural" even though god made both "female" and "male" animals. Gender is minor variable because it is the role that is important. Hrmm... I guess these animals choose to be gay too!

Another thing... Marriage isn't about sex... Please stop bringing this sex thing up. Marriage is about love between two people... or if you prefer, Civil Union is about love between two people... Sex is so secondary in loving relationships... I wish people would stop perverting love by equating it to sex... very shallow... (However I notice that a lot of religious people just can't talk enough about sex!)

And the whole, "I don't judge the sinner, I judge the sin" is really gently caressing ridiculous. It takes away all responsibility of wrong-doing from the "sinner". You guys do judge and yet seem to absolve any wrong-doing that a person does as long as they "ask for forgiveness"? So what are you saying?... I can go around and do terrible things and as long as I'm on my death bed asking for forgiveness I get a pass into heaven? I guess that's why religious figures continue to indulge in wrong-doings without any consequences?

Do not lecture me on remorse and repentance. I do not need the threat of hell or god to recognize my wrongs or to feel remorse. I do not need the bible as a moral compass. I did not need the bible to develop compassion, sympathy or empathy. Guess what? I do not need the bible to recognize the wrong-doings of others. I don't know, but does the bible mention anything about molesting children? I know it's wrong, I didn't need the bible to tell me that, but do priests need that in literal writing to understand how wrong it is? And how wrong it is to continue to do so?

I also didn't need the bible for my kindness and I certianly don't need an "afterlife of reward in heaven or 72 virgins (whichever book you perfer)" to be kind.  That "reward" is often the biggest motivator for religious folk.  How sad that they need that to force them to be kind or compassionate or to help the less fortunate.  The rest of us just are kind because we choose to be... not because some book told us.  (See, being "kind" is a choice... being gay is not)

Being gay is not a sin. Being a woman is not a sin. Being coloured is not a sin. I need a better example than the bible, after all according to the bible, women are evil... Poor Eve! 

Oh, and let's not forget that before minorities got equal rights, before even women got equal rights, CORPORATIONS were given equal rights and were defined as "persons" before the rest of us were. Please don't tell me that gay people have nearly equal rights. Women and minorities barely do, how could gays possibly hope for equal rights when we can't even give it to "straight" people who happen to be women or black? lol

too much!

BTW, I just found this site because of the Nightline Debate (well done and thank you for representin'!).

I don't usually post in forums as I find that there are often other people who are far more intelligent and articulate than I am who can better explain our common values (thank you folks).

But this gently caressing thread was just begging for my late response. Actually, I don't really want to be white or a man - I want to be a cat in a very comfortable and loving home.Laughing

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free Thinking wrote:

Free Thinking wrote:

Actually, I don't really want to be white or a man - I want to be a cat in a very comfortable and loving home.Laughing

Like this?

By the way, welcome to the forums.  We hope you stick around.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free Thinking wrote: Why

Free Thinking wrote:

Why do theists think that homosexuality is still wrong? Because the bible says so?

That's just not a good enough answer as we all know that the bible says a whole lot of contradictory things.

Last time I checked, being gay wasn't a choice. Last time I checked, being prosecuted and denied equal rights is not beneficial to anyone and no one would choose such an existance. Ask a black person.

I sure didn't choose to be straight. Hell, I didn't even choose to be a woman! OMG, I didn't even choose my skin colour!!!

But if I had a choice...

You bet I would choose to be white. In a second! Especially during our times! Fine, alrighty then, I'm not allowed to be white??!

Fine, I'm gonna be a man... oh, I guess I don't get to choose that either...

But according to theists, I did choose to be these things based on what they perceive are choices.

And then to have the arrogance of using the theory of evolution to to back up your case against homosexuality?

I just don't get it. I thought Theists didn't believe in the theory of evolution.

Supenmanu wrote:

simple. If you believe God created men and women, it should be obvious to you why he created two genders. Actually if you believe in the Theory of Evolution, it is the same and it should be equally obvious to you why evolution created two genders.

Easy there Supenmanu...

Poor use of using evolution to support your argument.

Clearly, you do not understand evolution. If you look in nature you will see evidence of homosexuality. Jeez, what do you think all the other lions do when the king of the lions gets all the lion babes?!

Or what do the other walruses do when the Biggest Walrus gets all the walrus babes?! Guess what? The pride, or the herd, or a murder (I love that "murder" of crows thing) or flock produces some kind of balance in the group that has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with "roles". It produces a population that can take on those roles regardless of gender.

It happens in nature all the time. Therefor it is not considered "unnatural" even though god made both "female" and "male" animals. Gender is minor variable because it is the role that is important. Hrmm... I guess these animals choose to be gay too!

Another thing... Marriage isn't about sex... Please stop bringing this sex thing up. Marriage is about love between two people... or if you prefer, Civil Union is about love between two people... Sex is so secondary in loving relationships... I wish people would stop perverting love by equating it to sex... very shallow... (However I notice that a lot of religious people just can't talk enough about sex!)

And the whole, "I don't judge the sinner, I judge the sin" is really gently caressing ridiculous. It takes away all responsibility of wrong-doing from the "sinner". You guys do judge and yet seem to absolve any wrong-doing that a person does as long as they "ask for forgiveness"? So what are you saying?... I can go around and do terrible things and as long as I'm on my death bed asking for forgiveness I get a pass into heaven? I guess that's why religious figures continue to indulge in wrong-doings without any consequences?

Do not lecture me on remorse and repentance. I do not need the threat of hell or god to recognize my wrongs or to feel remorse. I do not need the bible as a moral compass. I did not need the bible to develop compassion, sympathy or empathy. Guess what? I do not need the bible to recognize the wrong-doings of others. I don't know, but does the bible mention anything about molesting children? I know it's wrong, I didn't need the bible to tell me that, but do priests need that in literal writing to understand how wrong it is? And how wrong it is to continue to do so?

I also didn't need the bible for my kindness and I certianly don't need an "afterlife of reward in heaven or 72 virgins (whichever book you perfer)" to be kind. That "reward" is often the biggest motivator for religious folk. How sad that they need that to force them to be kind or compassionate or to help the less fortunate. The rest of us just are kind because we choose to be... not because some book told us. (See, being "kind" is a choice... being gay is not)

Being gay is not a sin. Being a woman is not a sin. Being coloured is not a sin. I need a better example than the bible, after all according to the bible, women are evil... Poor Eve!

Oh, and let's not forget that before minorities got equal rights, before even women got equal rights, CORPORATIONS were given equal rights and were defined as "persons" before the rest of us were. Please don't tell me that gay people have nearly equal rights. Women and minorities barely do, how could gays possibly hope for equal rights when we can't even give it to "straight" people who happen to be women or black? lol

too much!

BTW, I just found this site because of the Nightline Debate (well done and thank you for representin'!).

I don't usually post in forums as I find that there are often other people who are far more intelligent and articulate than I am who can better explain our common values (thank you folks).

But this gently caressing thread was just begging for my late response. Actually, I don't really want to be white or a man - I want to be a cat in a very comfortable and loving home.Laughing

welcome aboard Sticking out tongue

pretty sure you sumed up everything perfectly  

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
Ghost of Amityville's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: i really

Malice wrote:

i really hope this is in the right place but i shall go ahead for now.

I dont have a bible handy on me right now , but i am pretty sure that the only ruling agains Homosexuality was in the old testament.

so my question is since you guys and girls keeps aying the old testament rules dont count anymore since jesus sacrficed himself. why is homosexuality seen as wrong?

I'm kind of afraid to answer this question because it does specify a religious attitude and belief, whereas my impression of these forums is a more general one.

I know in Christianity it's not that the Old Testament rules don't count, but rather that they have been "fulfilled". Jesus's Sermon on the Mount goes through many Old Testament laws specifically and accepts some as valid, but rejects others. But the overall impression one gets when trying to understand the Sermon is that the laws aren't getting the arbitrary thumbs up or thumbs down from Jesus, but rather that they are being interpreted in such a way as to revert them back to an original intent or greater truth.  

The issue of homosexuality may fall under Jesus's antithesis of the Old Testament law "Thou shalt not commit adultery" where he redefines the law as a regulation of the whole of human sexuality.

I take pride in being a newb. I'm not all experienced and boring like the normies.

Free Thinking
Free Thinking's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Free Thinking

Susan wrote:
Free Thinking wrote:

Actually, I don't really want to be white or a man - I want to be a cat in a very comfortable and loving home.Laughing

Like this?

By the way, welcome to the forums. We hope you stick around.

Yup!

That looks like paradise to me! 

Judge: god, you have been accused of existence! What do you have to say for yourself?

god: I am innocent until proven guilty, your honour!

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free Thinking wrote: Susan

Free Thinking wrote:
Susan wrote:
Free Thinking wrote:

Like this?

By the way, welcome to the forums. We hope you stick around.

Yup!

That looks like paradise to me!

I heart cats.

I'm not white or a man but I'd like to stay human lol............

WOOT I have that smiling cat on my myspace page.  

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Rave
User is offlineOffline
Supenmanu wrote: Actually

Supenmanu wrote:

Actually you are completely misled. Evolution as a basic idea is the name given to the changes in the gene pool of a population over successive generations. Darwinian evolution is the name given to the method by which these changes occur which were proposed by Charles Darwin - natural selection. Add to this what we have learned/rediscovered in the years since it's original proposition - important ideas such as Mendelian Inheritance to name just one, and we have today what is often called neo-Darwinism: a very complete and solid scientific theory to explain the facts of evolution.

Evolution of species was believed by many scientists in the years leading up to Darwin's orginal work on the subject, and there were many propositions as to how the changes occurred. A popular hypotheses was proposed by Jean-Baptiste Lamark and is known as Lamarkism - this is what you are confusing. Lamark's two basic laws were:

1. In every animal which has not passed the limit of its development, a more frequent and continuous use of any organ gradually strengthens, develops and enlarges that organ, and gives it a power proportional to the length of time it has been so used; while the permanent disuse of any organ imperceptibly weakens and deteriorates it, and progressively diminishes its functional capacity, until it finally disappears.
  2. All the acquisitions or losses wrought by nature on individuals, through the influence of the environment in which their race has long been placed, and hence through the influence of the predominant use or permanent disuse of any organ; all these are preserved by reproduction to the new individuals which arise, provided that the acquired modifications are common to both sexes, or at least to the individuals which produce the young.

(quoted from wikipedia)

Needless to say, natural selection provides a far better explanation than this does, and with the publishing and subsequent acception of Darwin's theory support for Lamarism dwindled rapidly. Please ask questions of anyone in the science forums for more information if you have any interest in furthering your education, I'm sure everyone will be willing to provide civil answers to civil questions.

Now on to something more controversial Smiling DISCLAIMER: I'm not aiming to offend anyone! This is just my interpretation of things!

I am blind in one eye and I have epilepsy. Luckily this doesn't endanger my life too much and I was still able to pursue my second career choice, but it's still a pain in the arse. My conditions are congenital - I didn't get them from an accident or as a gradual development, I was born with them. My body works differently from how an ideal human body 'should', but my conditions are 'natural'. In this same way someone may be born with severe mental retardation, a life threatening heart condition, or on the other hand amazing intelligence or the body of an olympic athlete, or any combination of various conditions - and these would all be 'natural' conditions (i.e. not brought on by accident or outside influence). I see a state of the mind which causes people to be attracted to the same sex as just one of these little things we all have, whether for good or for bad (and I'm not suggesting which), which make us different from what an ideal human body 'should' be - looking at it simply from the point of view of the production of new generations to propagate our species.

But what is immoral or wrong about being different? And how can you say that just because homosexuals, or people who are physically unable to have children don't create new life they aren't contributing to the raising of children of other families in the roles of teachers or extended family members? Could you argue that they aren't doing their bit as human beings to enrich our society, to make it a better environment for raising new generations? And anyway, from a gene-centric evolutionary angle everyone is involved in the processes of proliferating and preserving their own genetic material (for better or for worse) whether through their own children, or through others who share large amounts of their genetic material - family members, and to a lesser extent other members of their communities.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine

tracifish
Theist
tracifish's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: I need

razorphreak wrote:

I need to step in here because I got to tell you, God does not hate anything. There is no hate with God or with those who have actually read the bible and understand the message in regard to homosexuality.

First, let me state that the OT message is not what I'm going to be referring to because, to a Christian, that law no longer applies thanks to Jesus.

Second, no person can condemn another according to the bible as that's God's job. Hate the sin, not the sinner and use gentle approaches via love to the person who is not following God's law.

Homosexuality as an act is a sin. The person who commits the sin however is not condemnable by another person. That's what it comes down to.

tracifish
Theist
tracifish's picture
User is offlineOffline
And I'd like to add, God

And I'd like to add, God does not call us to hate anybody....but to love even our enemies. Jesus died for homosexuals as well. The bible says fornicators and homosexuals won't enter the kingdom of heaven...but look at the next verse:

1Cr 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
tracifish wrote: And I'd

tracifish wrote:

And I'd like to add, God does not call us to hate anybody....but to love even our enemies. Jesus died for homosexuals as well. The bible says fornicators and homosexuals won't enter the kingdom of heaven...but look at the next verse:

yet in the old testmaint he called you to stone them to death Sticking out tongue

if you dont hate will you allow gay marrige?

1Cr 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

does that mean everyone is able to get into heavan. so technically poeple can do what they want .

and pretty sure thats a condtadiction if it says homo will not enter heavan then in the next verse says they can