What would it take?

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
What would it take?

This is a serious question thats serves two purposes for me but before I reveal my purpose please tell me; What would it take for you to believe in Christ?

If they found Noahs Ark and could prove it, if you saw someone healed (not on a Benny Hinn show), if you had a near death experience. What would it take. Please no smart ass asnwers, because this is an honest question.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: What would

Colby R wrote:
What would it take for me not to believe or to believe in another God. First I would never believe in another God. If something swayed my faith in Christianity I would just believe in nothing.

This reminds me of a previous contributor (St. Michael) to these forums who said he was more sure of the Virgin Birth than he was that 2 + 2 = 4

Colby R wrote:

As for me not to believe I realy cant think of anything. Other than what I said and perhaps if science found a way to mimick evolution into and create a creature. Like start with single cells have them merge into a multi cell and so on. It would have to be an expedited process of course because I dont have millions of years.

Even a cursory knowledge of evolution (such as I have) is sufficient to indicate that your demand is untenable.  Multicellular life took billions of years to emerge -- and you ask for an "expedited process" -- even the "million years" you don't have to spare would be extraordinarly expeditious.  You are essentially asking nature to step beyond its own laws in order to show you that the laws of nature have no need for a god.  The hypothetical event of nature stepping beyond its laws is known as a "miracle" (I'm sure you've heard the term), and science has no place for that.  

Colby R wrote:
As far as what it would take for any of you to believe I dont think it will happen our lifetime in the way you all have specified.

I frankly don't think it will ever happen. 

Colby R wrote:
...if we are talking biblicaly we are not in an age where we see physical proofs anymore. I dont think that what many of you want as proof is irrational or obsurd, it just doesnt happen like that anymore.

And why is that?  Why won't god indulge us with incontestable proof of his existence, as you claim he did for the ancients?  Were the first few millennia of biblical "history" part of some publicity campaign by god to get his name out there, followed by the old marketing "switcheroo", where we now have to believe in him without any proof?  Or could it be that as our scientific knowledge advances, we are less impressed by what previously passed for "physical proofs"?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
And why is that?  Why

And why is that?  Why won't god indulge us with incontestable proof of his existence, as you claim he did for the ancients?  Were the first few millennia of biblical "history" part of some publicity campaign by god to get his name out there, followed by the old marketing "switcheroo", where we now have to believe in him without any proof?  Or could it be that as our scientific knowledge advances, we are less impressed by what previously passed for "physical proofs"?

Well let me ask you a question. If you were God and had everything to give would you feel the need to indulge anyone? Especially after you had and people kept backsliding and ignoring your commands.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Lynette, I

Colby R wrote:

Lynette,

I see what you are saying and I left myself open to that. I must specify that it would take the creation of an animal, like a cat or another human. It would have to be from the begining to the end. I dont know if that is possible but thats probably what it would take. I am aware of the evolution of viruses but that is not enough in my mind.

Why would it take that? What makes the creation of some animal from a single celled organism so special? Is it just because that would impress you, or because that would actually PROVE something? If you mean that it would prove something, then what specifically would it prove to you? 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lynette1977 wrote: Colby,

Lynette1977 wrote:

Colby, you said "Other than what I said and perhaps if science found a way to mimick evolution into and create a creature." I have your answer.

Scientists have actually been able to create a variety of new species just through simple experiments and they're discovering new species every day in their natural environments, as well. Heck, all you have to do is take a look at viruses to see that evolution does it's own thing. Remember the bird flu? That's evolution under a microscope!!! Here are a few articles on these topics but all you have to do is take a look around science journals to find these answers. If you have any interest in botony you'll find that there is an even more evident evolutionary chain and I found that even more interesting. People constantly look at animals but I tell them just to take a look at plant evolution if that makes it easier to understand. Once you see how plant evolution works it's so easy to see how animals have done the same. 

Simple experiment gives birth to new species

Evolution, Two Species Become One - Humans Encourage Evolution 

Picky Female Frogs Drive Evolution of New Species in less than 8,000 Years 

News Species at Science Daily 

I hope this helps answer your questions. 

Lynette: Your posts are great and provide a wealth of information. It's been about 10 years since my last science class and I'm sure these links will be helpful. I've been trying to read more about biology, etc.; unfortunately my knowledge about science is basic at best.

Colby: I believe there is a thread somewhere on this site that gives you a link for a free DVD on evolution. Perhaps that could help you as well.
(Sorry, that didn't add to much to thread.)

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Well let me

Colby R wrote:

Well let me ask you a question. If you were God and had everything to give would you feel the need to indulge anyone? Especially after you had and people kept backsliding and ignoring your commands.

Isn't this God supposed to be loving? The alternative to revealing himself to us is for him to throw us in hell. Wouldn't a loving god try to prevent us *to the best of his abilities, which are infinite* from getting sent to hell? And no, revealing himself would not violate free will. We would still have the option of not believing what we see. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby, this is another

Colby, this is another hypothetical, man. It's a pointless question and serves no purpose whatsoever in the discussion of proof of your god(s). When you have to start making excuses for your faith and your deity, there's a problem.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: And why is

Colby R wrote:

And why is that? Why won't god indulge us with incontestable proof of his existence, as you claim he did for the ancients? Were the first few millennia of biblical "history" part of some publicity campaign by god to get his name out there, followed by the old marketing "switcheroo", where we now have to believe in him without any proof? Or could it be that as our scientific knowledge advances, we are less impressed by what previously passed for "physical proofs"?

What would I do? Well, i'd first be more intelligent. I would create the universe and leave it the fuck alone. I would leave evidence for that proves I don't exist, and move onto the next one. I would not act like a fucking 3 year old "WORSHIP ME, WORSHIP ME, I MADE YOU WORSHIP ME OR YOU GO TO HELL FOREVER, I WILL BRAG ABOUT MY CREATION TO YOU FOR ALL OF ETERNITY IN HEAVEN!!!!!!!" Why? God would not let anyone know he exists, because it would cause to much problems like today. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Iphtashu Fitz
Iphtashu Fitz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yiab wrote: Someone being

Yiab wrote:

Someone being healed would never work for me, there are just too many ways to fake it.

Oh, I don't know about that. If I was able to physically examine somebody who was missing a limb and then the limb spontaneously grew back in front of me I might accept it.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Colby R

natural wrote:
Colby R wrote:

Isn't this God supposed to be loving? The alternative to revealing himself to us is for him to throw us in hell. Wouldn't a loving god try to prevent us *to the best of his abilities, which are infinite* from getting sent to hell? And no, revealing himself would not violate free will. We would still have the option of not believing what we see. 

Indeed. Moreover, if god had lost his patience with us, why would he send Jesus?

If god existed, and is omnipotent, and has created a world that does not suit his desires, he would just have to change it. Why hasn't he? There's no need to torture the many who don't believe so that he can get a few that arbitrarily were born in a location that they would join his one true religion.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 I think the question is

I think the question is perfectly fine. I am not making excuses I am simply pointing out that God has no need to prove himself to us. If you dont believe thats fine if you do then you most likely see proofs of him. It is right to say that if he did reveal himself to us all that we would still have free will and it is written in the second coming he will be revealed to all.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Ok so some

Colby R wrote:
Ok so some of you have given answers to my star question and very good ones thats great. You have also noticed that I do have a limited knowledge about science and I admit it was never my best subject. THe way my mind works I guess doesnt fit with science. When you tell me how you determine what a star is, I cant help but think in my mind that the universe is limitless from what we know and when something is 4 lightyears away that there may be other gases present that illuminate the same as our known gases. I know this is the wrong way to view things but its just how my mind works. But I am not discounting your answers, I appreciate the knowledge.

Mr R,

I must point out that I am not a scientist either. This is partly down to my decision at 16 not to do any sciences at college (college is like pre-uni here it's different). I was good at science especially physics but it bored me (quite possibly because it was too easy). As a result I know very little about science. I'm a philosophy student and am (hopefully) equipped with reason. My point is to look at the nature of science and then look at the nature of religion. Science has the aim of discovering what actually is out there by empirical means, the fact that there are certain things we don't know is irrelevant, it is the fact that we are searching for the actual truths about what the universe is, its laws, what things are made of, how it began etc etc. Religion on the other hand is a cop-out. Its someone trying to come up with quick answers and not accepting any new evidence. That is why I trust in science. I'm not scientific but I can work out the difference between actively searching for truth and coming up with false answers to try and explain the unknown.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: I think

Colby R wrote:
 I think the question is perfectly fine. I am not making excuses I am simply pointing out that God has no need to prove himself to us. If you dont believe thats fine if you do then you most likely see proofs of him.

Why would the evidence of a god who is supposed to objectively exist be so subjective? Shouldn't the evidence be observable by everyone?

Colby R wrote:
It is right to say that if he did reveal himself to us all that we would still have free will and it is written in the second coming he will be revealed to all.

So, there's no reason to believe in him now, according to your theory.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iphtashu Fitz wrote: Yiab

Iphtashu Fitz wrote:
Yiab wrote:

Someone being healed would never work for me, there are just too many ways to fake it.

Oh, I don't know about that. If I was able to physically examine somebody who was missing a limb and then the limb spontaneously grew back in front of me I might accept it.

Scientifically possible with medical breakthroughs. I expect it to happen one day, so it certainly wouldn't be enough proof for me.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
rexlunae wrote: Colby R

rexlunae wrote:
Colby R wrote:
 I think the question is perfectly fine. I am not making excuses I am simply pointing out that God has no need to prove himself to us. If you dont believe thats fine if you do then you most likely see proofs of him.
Why would the evidence of a god who is supposed to objectively exist be so subjective? Shouldn't the evidence be observable by everyone?
Colby R wrote:
It is right to say that if he did reveal himself to us all that we would still have free will and it is written in the second coming he will be revealed to all.
So, there's no reason to believe in him now, according to your theory.

Two people look at the same evidence and come away with two different conclusions. There is reason to believe now considering when the second coming is here it will probably be to late.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Two people

Colby R wrote:
Two people look at the same evidence and come away with two different conclusions.

And for that reason, it would be unjust of a god to expect that everyone will conclude that he exists based on the fragmented and contradictory leads we've supposedly been given.

Colby R wrote:
There is reason to believe now considering when the second coming is here it will probably be to late.

Why?

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Here comes one of you hated

Here comes one of you hated answers. Thats what the Bible says. It doesnt make sense for people to deny, ridecule, and spit in the face of God and then when he comes back say ohh uhh yeah I believe now after I chose not to believe by faith like you required so please save me. Thats not how it works, I wish it was but its not. Christians are in the same boat.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Here comes

Colby R wrote:
Here comes one of you hated answers. Thats what the Bible says.

We hate that because it's a circular argument. I would already have to believe in your god to believe in the bible.

Colby R wrote:
It doesnt make sense for people to deny, ridecule, and spit in the face of God and then when he comes back say ohh uhh yeah I believe now after I chose not to believe by faith like you required so please save me.

I don't spit in god's face, or ridicule him. I don't believe that he exists, so why would I? I ridicule theistic beliefs, and if god were to reveal himself, I would expect that he would agree with me: There's no reason to believe in god, so far. Why should we be required to believe 'by faith', when god supposedly gave us these nice reasoning brains?

Colby R wrote:
Thats not how it works, I wish it was but its not. Christians are in the same boat.

So you agree, the way the bible presents the situation is unfair.

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
No I think it is perfectly

No I think it is perfectly fair, He has given us the Bible and whether or not you believe what is in it is up to you. I dont see why if there is enough proof for some why there should have to be more for others.

By not believing in God and insulting the people that do you are spitting in his face.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: No I think

Colby R wrote:
No I think it is perfectly fair, He has given us the Bible and whether or not you believe what is in it is up to you.

But not believing in it is cause to be condemned to hell. And there's no reason to believe the Bible over the Koran, or the Book Of Mormon, so whatever you choose, you have essentially the same risk. Why do you choose the Bible instead of another religious text?

Colby R wrote:
I dont see why if there is enough proof for some why there should have to be more for others.

I would respond with your own words:

you wrote:
Two people look at the same evidence and come away with two different conclusions.

There's no reason this needs to be so ambiguous. If god wants us to believe, he should give us a real opportunity with real proof. In fact, I can't think of a single reason why a god would care if we don't believe in him. Really, what difference does it make to him?

Colby R wrote:
By not believing in God and insulting the people that do you are spitting in his face.

Funny, I kept my mouth closed the whole time. God is sure sensitive for an all-knowing, all-powerful being.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Here comes

Colby R wrote:

Here comes one of you hated answers. Thats what the Bible says. It doesnt make sense for people to deny, ridecule, and spit in the face of God and then when he comes back say ohh uhh yeah I believe now after I chose not to believe by faith like you required so please save me. Thats not how it works, I wish it was but its not. Christians are in the same boat.

So instead this all powerful/invisible god requires that we follow it blindly without it even showing us what to follow? And that's fair?
We don't spit in gods face. We don't believe god exists to spit in it's face. It's not a matter of spitting in it's face and then expecting to be helped. It's a matter of not having anything concrete to follow, yet being told to follow it anyway.

I also should mention that while some people here may have chosen not to believe in god, it's never been a choice for me. I was born an atheist(I would contend everyone is, but that's a different topic). I've never believed in a god. For me, atheism isn't a choice. It's the way I am, the way I've always been, and the way I'll likely always be.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote:

Colby R wrote:

No I think it is perfectly fair, He has given us the Bible and whether or not you believe what is in it is up to you. I dont see why if there is enough proof for some why there should have to be more for others.

I view Christianity with the same amount of skepticism as I would any other religion, especially one making such gradiose claims. The adherents of your religion insist it to be true, but so do the adherents of Scientology, Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. I haven't a good reason to believe in any of the aforementioned religions, and I haven't a good reason to believe in Christianity either.

Christians and the Bible assert that Yahweh is omniscient. In that instance, he knows why I don't believe in him, and by the same token exactly what it would take to get me to believe in him.

As he is omniscient and omnipotent at the same time, based on Biblical claims, he is able to produce this evidence, even without interfering with this pesky "free will" assertion. To deny he has the ability to do that is placing a limit on him, in which case it would follow to desist from calling him God in the first place.

Even in the event that I am convinced to be a Christian, I have now the newly acquired task of deciding which version is the correct one.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: No I think

Colby R wrote:

Okay, I have one question which I'd like to see if you have a reasonable answer to.

Assuming that god exists, assuming he came to earth in the form of jesus two thousand years ago, assuming that the bible is the literally recorded, unaltered word of god... what makes you think god isn't lying to everyone? 

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Colby R

Vastet wrote:
Colby R wrote:

So instead this all powerful/invisible god requires that we follow it blindly without it even showing us what to follow? And that's fair? We don't spit in gods face. We don't believe god exists to spit in it's face. It's not a matter of spitting in it's face and then expecting to be helped. It's a matter of not having anything concrete to follow, yet being told to follow it anyway. I also should mention that while some people here may have chosen not to believe in god, it's never been a choice for me. I was born an atheist(I would contend everyone is, but that's a different topic). I've never believed in a god. For me, atheism isn't a choice. It's the way I am, the way I've always been, and the way I'll likely always be.

God gave us the Bible, like I said if that is not proof ebough or you havent exerienced any reasonable proof in your life then you have weighed your options and chosen what you believe. If you dont believe in God and all he wants from you is to believe I would sat it is spitting in his face, intentionaly or not. If you were raised Athiest that is fine your parents raised you to in that fashion, I cant argue with that. It seems like you have embraced to good. Either way you still choose, people who are raised Christian or Muslim still make a choice whether or not ot believe. 

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yiab wrote: Colby R

Yiab wrote:
Colby R wrote:

Okay, I have one question which I'd like to see if you have a reasonable answer to.

Assuming that god exists, assuming he came to earth in the form of jesus two thousand years ago, assuming that the bible is the literally recorded, unaltered word of god... what makes you think god isn't lying to everyone? 

I would say because I dont think it is a game to God. I dont believe he put us here for his amusement. THere is nothing in the Bible that indicates it and that is all we have to go off of Biblicly.

Now before I get the Bible circular answer deal again. I think it is important when asking questions that pertain to salvation or Christianity, I have to refrence the Bible. The Bible is the source of our knowledge of Christianity. Its like anything if I ask a question about Biology nobody is going to refrence a mathmatics book, you will refrence a biology book. The same for Christianity.

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mordagar wrote: Colby R

Mordagar wrote:
Colby R wrote:

Nobody is denying that God has the power to do those things if he chooses. What I find interesting is that you or some of you want to deny God the power to not do something. If you have not been convinced by the evidence we do have then that is your decision, but it is a rediculous argument to attempt to limit Gods power. If you dont believe alright but dont say its because God doesnt make bunnies fly out of your ass when you pray.LOL.

I view Christianity with the same amount of skepticism as I would any other religion, especially one making such gradiose claims. The adherents of your religion insist it to be true, but so do the adherents of Scientology, Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. I haven't a good reason to believe in any of the aforementioned religions, and I haven't a good reason to believe in Christianity either.

Christians and the Bible assert that Yahweh is omniscient. In that instance, he knows why I don't believe in him, and by the same token exactly what it would take to get me to believe in him.

As he is omniscient and omnipotent at the same time, based on Biblical claims, he is able to produce this evidence, even without interfering with this pesky "free will" assertion. To deny he has the ability to do that is placing a limit on him, in which case it would follow to desist from calling him God in the first place.

Even in the event that I am convinced to be a Christian, I have now the newly acquired task of deciding which version is the correct one.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Vastet

Colby R wrote:
Vastet wrote:
Colby R wrote:

So instead this all powerful/invisible god requires that we follow it blindly without it even showing us what to follow? And that's fair? We don't spit in gods face. We don't believe god exists to spit in it's face. It's not a matter of spitting in it's face and then expecting to be helped. It's a matter of not having anything concrete to follow, yet being told to follow it anyway. I also should mention that while some people here may have chosen not to believe in god, it's never been a choice for me. I was born an atheist(I would contend everyone is, but that's a different topic). I've never believed in a god. For me, atheism isn't a choice. It's the way I am, the way I've always been, and the way I'll likely always be.

God gave us the Bible, like I said if that is not proof ebough or you havent exerienced any reasonable proof in your life then you have weighed your options and chosen what you believe. If you dont believe in God and all he wants from you is to believe I would sat it is spitting in his face, intentionaly or not. If you were raised Athiest that is fine your parents raised you to in that fashion, I cant argue with that. It seems like you have embraced to good. Either way you still choose, people who are raised Christian or Muslim still make a choice whether or not ot believe.

Your grasping at straws in an empty room i'm afraid. The bible can not be proof of anything other then it's the proof the book itself exists. One claim even you can understand, their are hundreds of different holy texts. So, you know yours is right? How about the fact all holy texts contridict themselves, have been proven to be impossible or false claims. Also, the bible, the new testament? Whats wrong with the old testament? Does it become false just because some people who were not god voted what should be and should not be in the bible to make the new testament? "They were influenced by god!" prove it. Prove Jesus existed, then if you prove that, prove he was the son of god. It is not our jobs to disprove or prove it for you. If your going to make a fucking claim offer fucking evidence that is evidence, not "grasping at straws evidence".

God, if he existed the average person should be able to read the bible and easily state. Man this "god" fello is a fucking child, a egotistical racist murderous evil 5 year old. "He gave us free-will. He also put things in place to make our decesions different it even shows it in the bible. Ie. "Do not eat of this tree, even though I already know you will you will be put to death" they eat, then he goes "yeah I lied, you'll just be punished.

So hes a lier, in the first chapter he admits it. If a all powerful person can not keep to his fucking claim about killing someone for going against him he is lieing. So your gods a lier. People argue he won't change stuff now a days to be a better world because free will needs to exist. Well if hes all knowing, if free will needed to exist, why did he make the mistake with trying to destroy evil with noah? Was that not interfearing to get rid of evil? If he did it then, god can't change his mind, for he already knows the outcome and no matter what his mind is made up.

Oh well, it won't even get through to you, you'll try and reason to us why the bible is proof to you. Guess what? It's a old, outdated inmoral, and horribly writen. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well you have convinced me.

Well you have convinced me. All it took was you cussing a lot and not knowing how to spell "liar" to do it. You make a very convincing and obviously educated point. Why didn't they just send you out here first we never would have had to have these conversations. I understand typos and stuff but spelling LIAR with a E about five times come on. And you vocabulary is overwhelming, do you know anything but four letter one syllable words.

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Well you

Colby R wrote:
Well you have convinced me. All it took was you cussing a lot and not knowing how to spell "liar" to do it. You make a very convincing and obviously educated point. Why didn't they just send you out here first we never would have had to have these conversations. I understand typos and stuff but spelling LIAR with a E about five times come on. And you vocabulary is overwhelming, do you know anything but four letter one syllable words.

This is a forum. If you can't deal with a little bad spelling, bad grammar, and bad language, you shouldn't be here. And the closing insult, which misspelled 'your' makes you look just silly.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Nobody is

Colby R wrote:

Nobody is denying that God has the power to do those things if he chooses. What I find interesting is that you or some of you want to deny God the power to not do something. If you have not been convinced by the evidence we do have then that is your decision, but it is a rediculous argument to attempt to limit Gods power. If you dont believe alright but dont say its because God doesnt make bunnies fly out of your ass when you pray.LOL.

This is a nice strawman you set up here. It is not my will to deny God any power. I have not been convinced by the evidence, because it is sincerely lacking. I will ignore your hyperbole at the end, as it is irrelavent.

Why haven't you been persuaded by the evidence of Scientology? 

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

Ig
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote:

Colby R wrote:
What would it take for you to believe in Christ?

This will cover both the historical and supernatural.

For it to make just a little bit of sense. Imagine you are a god and send yourself down to earth. Why are you sending yourself to only one small area of earth? Wouldn't you leave something behind for future generation? A book that made some sense perhaps.

For it to make any sense Jesus would have had to visit all the other civilizations on the planet at the same time and leave behind the same evidence.

What happened to the American Indians(substitute the hundreds of other cultures here at the time of Christ) ? They could not possibly have heard about Jesus until the 1500's. Are they currently being tortured by your god for not believing in someone they didn't even know existed?

Does any of this make any sense to you?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MODERATOR'S REMINDER: This

MODERATOR'S REMINDER:

This is NOT the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

Cussing is allowed.

Posts that are nothing but attacks on an individual are not allowed in any thread on this forum.  Specifically (from the rules, 2.1 Antagonism):

"Clear intent to not argue a position, but to merely attack a person" 

Sometimes things get a bit heated in the Atheist vs Theist thread and that's OK as long as it doesn't turn into an insult contest against individuals. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: This is a serious

Quote:
This is a serious question thats serves two purposes for me but before I reveal my purpose please tell me; What would it take for you to believe in Christ?

If they found Noahs Ark and could prove it, if you saw someone healed (not on a Benny Hinn show), if you had a near death experience. What would it take. Please no smart ass asnwers, because this is an honest question.

Well, an honest question deserves an honest answer, and it's time I gave my answer.

There are very few things that would make me believe in your god and messiah. From a historical point of view, I really don't care whether a historical Jesus existed or not. I don't dismiss the possibility, because I don't very much care. We know Muhammad or Siddharta were real historical figures, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of people considering their religions, in turn, as false. From this perspective, I don't much care if Jesus was real or not.

From a religious point of view, I have yet to see the Christian religion doing something that puts it above all others. Do we have a miracle worker somewhere? OK, gentlemen... Tape it. Make it public. Call some specialists (depending on what the miracle is). Is the Orthodox Church having a "miracle" every Easter? Well... let people actually see and tape it, don't just make them take your word for it. Anyway, I presume you get my point.

But the Christian religion is, up to now, just the same as any other religions: it's the same "believe, don't search" doctrine, it's the same "this here was a miracle. if you don't believe in J.C., obviously you could not see it, because your mind was darkened by the devil" excuse.

There's something that would make me really believe in your god: a miracle applied on myself. True miracle, taped miracle, proven miracle. Such as removing a small bony protuberance I've got on my leg.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Well you

Colby R wrote:

You know the funny thing? It's spelled lier or liar depending on the area you live in. Hell it's spelled lier in my dictionary. Does not matter though sorry it was not your spelling, but even so. Did you look through the whole post just trying to find one spelling error and go "OMG HE SPELLED LIAR WRONG, HE MUST BE WRONG HIMSELF, I WILL NOW ALERT HIM HOW HE NEVER CHANGED ME BECAUSE HE SPELLS ONE WORD WRONG"

Guess what? Some words are different. Colour is spelled colour here in Canada. United States spelling is Color. Etc. 

Thank god i'm a atheist!

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
No I think it is perfectly

There is no more evidence for the validity of the supernatural claims of the Bible then there is for the Quran or the Mormon Doctrine and Covenant, or El Ron Hubbards Dianetics. By continuing to make your assertions and evidence-free rhetoric, you only continue to weaken your position and reason in a never-ending circle.

You know full well that had you been born in Saudi Arabia, you would wake up every day and say ilala illahu Muhammed ur-Rasullah (There is no God but God and Muhammed is his messenger). You would accept this unquestioningly, and you would make the same claims about the Qur'an.

By not believing in Allah and insulting the people who do, you are spitting in his face. On the Yam Al'Qiyaham, Allah will judge you and throw you into the pit of hell.

Or, by not believing in body thetans, you are mocking El Ron Hubbard and his believers. When you die, the lord Xenu will imprison you in his intergalactic jail.

By not believing in the Mormon D&C and insulting those who do, God, with Joseph Smith the Prophet to his right, will judge you and cast you into hell.

I could go on. I could even make up a religion myself, but that would be tiring.

Furthermore, you state "I don't see why there should be proof for some, why there should have to be any more for others". This is ridiculous. The whole concept of religion is wholly detached from evidence, logic, reason, science and proof. A Muslim believes there is proof in Allah just as much as A christian believes there is proof of Yahweh. I am going to ask you three questions now:

First, I will tell you some stories.

Story #1:

Several thousand years ago, one of the ancient tribes of Jeruselam was massacred by another tribe of Israel, and the victors fled from Jeruslam and somehow managed to arrive in America, where they buried Gold plates in Jacksonville Missouri. As ounishment God turned their skin red. These plates were revealed by an angel called Moroni who was a native American with white skin to a man who dug them up several hundred years ago. They were the Gospels of the Nephites. These writings were translated by ancient rocks called seer stones, and compiled into a book.

Now may I ask you a question: Do you have faith that this story is not true?

Next story:

Praying alone in a cave, a man suddenly found an angel standing before him. This angel commanded to the man to recite written words which he presented. The man protested, being illiterate, but eventually he realized that through God's glory he must recite. So he fell to his knees and did so. Over the next ten years he receieved many more revelations, and in fact, he journeyed to heaven on a winged horse to discuss prayer with Jesus, Moses, David and Adam. At first, almost no-one believed him, but eventually, they realized he was so sincere and intent, and of such accurate recollection, that they decided he was a man of truth. Thus they wrote down his words, messages and revelations.

Now: Do you have faith that this story is false.

OK.

The first story was the story of Mormonism, the second was the story of Islam.

Whenever I ask this question, almost everyone replies that they do not have faith that these are false. This is because they are ridiculous stories. The default position for an unsubstantiated assertion without evidence and disbelief. The only reason you say we have faith is because so many people are Christian. Do you have faith that cultists are lunatics?

Interestingly enough, sometimes what I do is not tell the stories. Instead I ask people if they have faith that Mormonism is false. They almost always respond no. This is because it is so ridiculous and almost no-one believes it.

However, when I ask people if they have faith that Islam is false, they respond yes. This is because Islam is older, has many more followers, and is much more respected. There is no rational basis for any of the claims. The judgement, no matter how you construe it, is extremely subjective.

Religion has this bizarre formula whereby things become more accepted as time passes that were once myths. Nobody here believes the Greek myths of Athena or Medusa, nor does anyone in Greece. But stories that were simply made up over the centuries that seem like nothing more than good fiction, like Immaculate Conception and six day creation, or the idea of God, for some reason, because they were made up along time ago, are accepted as true. This explains why many regard Mormonism as insane. Joseph Smith received his revelations in the early 1800s...but Catholicism, which believes equally ridiculous things, is somehow more credible to the point where it has one billion followers. Every religion has concepts that seem to be pulled from thin air, that were simply meshed into truth by nothing but time with no evidence whatsoever. In Christianity, there is the Trinity and the ascension of St Mary, In Judaism the strange obsession with the Demiurge verses the High God.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote: Colby R

James Cizuz wrote:

Colby R wrote:

You know the funny thing? It's spelled lier or liar depending on the area you live in. Hell it's spelled lier in my dictionary. Does not matter though sorry it was not your spelling, but even so. Did you look through the whole post just trying to find one spelling error and go "OMG HE SPELLED LIAR WRONG, HE MUST BE WRONG HIMSELF, I WILL NOW ALERT HIM HOW HE NEVER CHANGED ME BECAUSE HE SPELLS ONE WORD WRONG"

Guess what? Some words are different. Colour is spelled colour here in Canada. United States spelling is Color. Etc. 

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Lier \Li"er\ (l[imac]"[~e]r), n. [From Lie. ]    One who lies down; one who rests or remains, as in    concealment.
Thats not what didnt convince me, it was how you said everything and you presented no evidence that I have not heard before 

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: So here are

Colby R wrote:

So here are my thought so far.

As far as what it would take for any of you to believe I dont think it will happen our lifetime in the way you all have specified. THe only real chance at it in my opinion will be with the rapture and the second coming. Because if we are talking biblicaly we are not in an age where we see physical proofs anymore. I dont think that what many of you want as proof is irrational or obsurd, it just doesnt happen like that anymore. Perhaps some of you will believe for other reasons but lets stick to the establised criteria.

Secondly, I have never visited an Athiest web site or forum so it is an intersting enviroment to be in, especially when you are the minority. What I have brought away form this is that Theists and Athiests are very much alike in terms of our discussions. You all have a list of common Christian myths and arguments used, and they are all fallacy and obsurd statements. Well Christians have the same thing in regards to Athiests. As Christians we do get upset when Athiests misinterpret the Bible just like Athiests get upset when Christians use the 2nd law of thermoldynamics(sp) in the wrong scientific sense.

I have met many Dr.'s and scientist who are Christian and have found the balance for both. One of the men I know is working on a Dr's in biology and is a Christian and sees not issue between his faith and science. I believe there is a balance, not just one or the other. I believe that sciece and religion can work together once we quite trying to prove the other wrong.

Please tell me your thoughts and do you accept true scientist that also have faith?

I would like to hear more comments on this post.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Furthermore, you state "I don't see why there should be proof for some, why there should have to be any more for others". This is ridiculous. The whole concept of religion is wholly detached from evidence, logic, reason, science and proof. A Muslim believes there is proof in Allah just as much as A christian believes there is proof of Yahweh. I am going to ask you three questions now:

The fact that we're all trying to explain things and he has the audacity to say something like "I don't see why there should be proof for some, why there should have to be any more for others" is irritating because about 10 messages back he said he would need proof of a new species or evolution to NOT believe in a god. When provided with those very facts he required not to believe in a god he said those facts I provided were not good enough for him...he would have to see something larger than a dog to believe god were not real. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I think this is a pointless arguement if he's not going to really listen to what's being said.

Flemming Rose: “When [christians] say you are not showing respect, I would say: you are not asking for my respect, you are asking for my submission….”

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have already replied to

I have already replied to this! Read the posts, Colby. Science is based on fact, religion is based on philosophy. Simply because science can not explain something in the manner that particular people can understand is not an excuse to believe in man-made philosophy to fill in the blanks. A philosopher has no place to state views on science, period. If a scientist has a religious view and it affects their scientific view then absolutely not will I accept that...nor would most other scientists. There's a reason there are so few theists in science, Colby. Having a handful of theist scientists in a field of science where most are not is like having a handful of rapists in a room of thousands...it's inevitable but it doesn't mean they're credible.

And PS...the difference between atheist and theist talking points is that we use facts, theists use hypotheticals and an unproveable book to make their claims. It's pretty easy to see which one is more credible.  

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont think that what many

I dont think that what many of you want as proof is irrational or obsurd, it just doesnt happen like that anymore. Perhaps some of you will believe for other reasons but lets stick to the establised criteria.

As a scientist, I require several axioms of establishment:

Objectivity of source

Veracity of source

Falsifiability of Method

Testability of Method 

Experimental corroboration

Occams Razor

Logical and sound definitions of proposition

Secondly, I have never visited an Athiest web site or forum so it is an intersting enviroment to be in, especially when you are the minority.

The Minority? Not all of us here are in America, my friend! I have lived in Norway (80% atheist), Japan (55%) and China (93%).

I have met many Dr.'s and scientist who are Christian and have found the balance for both

As an atheist scientist. I of course have nothing but respect for my religious counterparts. Without Mendel and his potted plants, we would know nothing about genetics, without Mendelev, nothing about chemistry, without Galielo....and of course for my contemporary faithful men of science, like Miller (his book is great) and Collins (excellent geneticst). I do not seek the end of religion or theism. The problem I see is that a vast swath of people have reveted to fundamentalism, anti-science, and irrational belief in dangerous nonsense, and an even bigger swath never give a thought to their beliefs.

I believe that sciece and religion can work together once we quite trying to prove the other wrong.

Science cannot prove God does not exist. That is obviously not the objective. Science can prove certian tenets of certian Holy books are false mythology (Genesis for example). 

Science and religion need not work together. Science is all about answering "how" and "what". Religion is about answering "why". This is why Stephan Jay Gould argued for the two seperate boxes of religion and science. The problem is that by taking ancient mythology literally, religion is becoming a grounder of progress to science by insisting that nothing can contradict it's Holy book. This is an example of religion stepping outside of it's duty to answer "why" questions and attempting to answer "how and what".

Please tell me your thoughts and do you accept true scientist that also have faith?

Of course. Although you must admit that the level of faith among the intellectual elite is far lower than the population, and the intellectual elite who have faith have a much more intelligent faith. They obviously do not believe in Genesis or Second Coming or any nonsense as such.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Lynette I know you did

Lynette I know you did respond and I enjoyed your answer. I am not calling the kettle black I am, just like everyone else I have specific proof it would take to convince other that my beliefs. I dont expect science to create the evidence just for me, there is evidence at hand and if it does not convince me then I dont see the problem.

Of course. Although you must admit that the level of faith among the intellectual elite is far lower than the population, and the intellectual elite who have faith have a much more intelligent faith. They obviously do not believe in Genesis or Second Coming or any nonsense as such.

I would say if they have a Christian faith not believing in a second coming would almost be a pointless faith. The second coming is the salvation of the world. But I would agree with you in general sense of your statement, from what I have seen of intellectual elite.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say if they have a

I would say if they have a Christian faith not believing in a second coming would almost be a pointless faith. The second coming is the salvation of the world. But I would agree with you in general sense of your statement, from what I have seen of intellectual elite

Is that all you have to respond to my post? And yes, believe it or not, there are liberal sane Christians who do not believe in Second coming. I have good freinds among the Christian intellectual elite. They do not believe in that nonsense. In fact, where I live, Hong Kong, that would be considered insane.

-Me

Books about atheism

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 I appreciate that you

I appreciate that you acknowledge that science can not prove God to exist or not to exist. When you say that it is not the purpose of science to disprove God, I believe you but I would say that many athiests look at science for that very reason. I have no problem with you questioning the Bible, I have said many times I have questions and could list them we probably question similar items.

I dont know what about Genisis you have the biggest issue with. Could you give me a small list or what is your biggest issue. I think I have a idea but I dont want to comment until you say.

Correct me if I am wrong but I have read either here or somewhere else that evolution is not the science of how life started but how it has advanced. If that is true isnt why life started a very valid question. When police investigate crimes they always ask why and I would assume in the scientific community it would be the same. If your studying something in my mind one of the most imprtant questions in why.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby R wrote: Colby R

Colby R wrote:
Colby R wrote:

So here are my thought so far.

I would like to hear more comments on this post.

Hey Colby, you never responded to any of my posts. I would like to hear your reply to this post:

natural wrote:
Colby R wrote:

Lynette,

I see what you are saying and I left myself open to that. I must specify that it would take the creation of an animal, like a cat or another human. It would have to be from the begining to the end. I dont know if that is possible but thats probably what it would take. I am aware of the evolution of viruses but that is not enough in my mind.

Why would it take that? What makes the creation of some animal from a single celled organism so special? Is it just because that would impress you, or because that would actually PROVE something? If you mean that it would prove something, then what specifically would it prove to you?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I appreciate that you

I appreciate that you acknowledge that science can not prove God to exist or not to exist. When you say that it is not the purpose of science to disprove God, I believe you but I would say that many athiests look at science for that very reason.

Thank you.

I dont know what about Genisis you have the biggest issue with. Could you give me a small list or what is your biggest issue. I think I have a idea but I dont want to comment until you say.

Genesis explictly states nonsense. I will give a very small list. Genesis states that the universe was created in six days. Genesis states that life and Earth were created before stars which is impossible because it is the nuclear fusion of stars that gives us the chemistry of life and rocks. Genesis states that plant life came after sea creatures which is impossible because phototropes are absolutely necesssary for any life to flourish (Even if God smothered the Earth in plants pumping out oxygen, everything would die because it takes millions of years for oxygen shift to occur). Skipping a lot of nonsense, Genesis 11 states that all people once spoke the same language, which is ridiculous. Genesis obviously ignores the fact that there were civilizations that existed long before the Hebrews.

Genesis is clearly mythology, it is no different that Inca myths (they also thought they were the first civilization and they also thought they were Gods people), and Aztec creationism (they also thought they were Gods people and the first civilization)

Correct me if I am wrong but I have read either here or somewhere else that evolution is not the science of how life started but how it has advanced. If that is true isnt why life started a very valid question. When police investigate crimes they always ask why and I would assume in the scientific community it would be the same. If your studying something in my mind one of the most imprtant questions in why.

Correct. How life started is primordial chemistry. The answer to the abiogenesis paradox (at present molecular biologists cannot recreate nucleotide assemblage) is that we do not know.

I was referring to "why" in the teleological sense of "purpose". This is meaningless to science. 

-Me

Books about atheism

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think many

I don't think many scientists do in fact try to prove the non-existence of God. Science is about finding what actually exists in our universe to put it simply. If we find no evidence of something what possible ground could we have for believing? If say we had a hypothesis, say that the big bang was caused by two spiders mating, but we had no evidence to back the claim up except an ancient holy book that worshipped the spiders, the great igniters of matter, could we justify a belief in it? No.

Scientists don't seek to prove Gods non-existence, they just come to the conclusions based on real evidence that they find which constantly contradicts God, scripture whatever.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I appreciate the civilized

I appreciate the civilized manner that this discussion has become. One of your previous comments "By ignoring God and insulting those who do, you are spitting in his face" (I posted a long response to that which you may wish to look at), will make most atheists very, very angry.

First of all, it is what we call HTT  (Holier than Thou syndrome). Second, it fails to acknowledge that there are civilizations who for thousands of years got along peacefully, and extremely successfuly, without religion.

Thirdly, it fails to acknowledge that the atheists you meet on this site will have given very deep thought to their beliefs. Many of us are scientists, philosphers or logicians. we cannot spit in the face of that which we do not believe exists!

-Me

Books about atheism

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Correct

deludedgod wrote:

Correct. How life started is primordial chemistry. The answer to the abiogenesis paradox (at present molecular biologists cannot recreate nucleotide assemblage) is that we do not know.

I was referring to "why" in the teleological sense of "purpose". This is meaningless to science.

And again, I'll repeat it, because molecular biologists cannot recreate this, Colby, doesn't mean that theologians should posit imaginative suggestions as to how it DID begin. Science is not concerned with "god" because this is a human invention to answer what they don't understand. You'll be interested in knowing that some believe we have found life on other planets and eventually with these new discoveries the question to how life began (not if a god exists-a human philosophical invention) will be answered. If you don't know the answer, don't make shit up...that's the whole point. Religion posits "TRUTH" and we all know THAT isn't true...all you have to do is read it to know.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: And again, I'll

Quote:
And again, I'll repeat it, because molecular biologists cannot recreate this, Colby, doesn't mean that theologians should posit imaginative suggestions as to how it DID begin. Science is not concerned with "god" because this is a human invention to answer what they don't understand. You'll be interested in knowing that some believe we have found life on other planets and eventually with these new discoveries the question to how life began (not if a god exists-a human philosophical invention) will be answered. If you don't know the answer, don't make shit up...that's the whole point. Religion posits "TRUTH" and we all know THAT isn't true...all you have to do is read it to know.

Oh, come on, Lynette, if I were you I'd not waste much time dismissing a claim that's pure speculation and nothing more.

When a person enters this world of free critical thought, it's impossible to miss certain arguments. Arguments such as Pascal's wager, the "God of the Gaps" (as seems to be the case here), Anselm's definition, and many many more. People start studying these arguments, and initially they sound as solid proof, but the more they advance, the more they learn that such arguments are fundamentally flawed. Indeed, this does not necessarily disprove a higher being, but by taking apart each argument one by one, theism is left with practically nothing. Ironically, Christianity is left with a greater nothing (excuse the term) than Buddhism, Islamsim, Confucianism, etc., since we know that the persons that started those religions actually were historical figures beyond any doubt. We cannot say that with 100% certainty about J.C.

It's a path that anyone must take: discover, study and conclude. Most people are really lacking when it comes to the second part. It's not necessarily their fault for that, but that doesn't grant them any extra right. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Colby R here makes no exception from this rule. After studying as much as some people here (deludedgod is one very good example, whose work on these forums I admire), he will come to realize that some things just aren't valid. Just like many other threads (as todangst noticed very well), all theists come here with an argument that they think is smashing, but that we've all refuted hundreds of times before. Once they learn and accept that truth isn'tsimply a presto-change-o thing, perhaps a non-repetitive, fruitful discussion will be possible.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Alright I just read this

Alright I just read this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

I dont know if it is reliable but it seemd to be in line with all of your thoughts. I took away from it that Science has many hypothesis on the origin of life but none that are reliable or veryfiable. One that I read was limited extraterrestial life, this one stood out to me does anyone have a thought on it?

Natural,

I think that if science could produce life from nothing like I have said, it would sway me more to the origin of life which is an essential part of my faith.

Lynette1977
Lynette1977's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rigor_OMortis

Rigor_OMortis wrote:

Quote:

Oh, come on, Lynette, if I were you I'd not waste much time dismissing a claim that's pure speculation and nothing more.

It was interesting but I just used it as part of the point I was making. I suppose it is fruitless to someone who, even when presented with facts of provable things, says "that's not good enough for me..."