Common christian myths

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Common christian myths

Yes, I know that christianity itself is a myth, but my intention here is to get a good list of common myths christians hold to, concerning their myth, christianity.

What I mean is this, how often do you see the following claims/behaviors by theists on our boards?

1) "I was an atheist until age... 20,21,22, etc."

or

"I examined all the possible religions/worldviews and came to the conclusion that christianity made the most sense"

How is it that EVERY theist who manages to find his or her way to our boards wasn't raised a christian, but instead came to christianity through a long, arduent study of the world? How is it that we are so fortunate to be graced by such scholarly folk?

Research tends to show that such people would be exceedingly rare... most people follow the religion of their parents. Yet all of our theists only became theists after rational inquiry!

What an amazing coincidence! 

Here's another one

2) "Hi board, I have come to help you all out. Here is an argument for you to consider"

The argument is then.. pascal's wager, or a link to Kent Hovind's site, or Carm, or some other ridiculous nonsense.

Why is it that every theist imagines we haven't heard this before? My sense is that their thought process goes like this "They must not know this, for if they did, they'd be christians..."

So it follows that the fact that there are rational people who have refutations for these arguments is something these theists do not want to consider...

Do any of you have more of these sorts of common 'myths' that christians hold about christians, or christianity? I'd like to make a list.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tru, why should I answer

Tru, why should I answer anything else you say if you always respond with a rude tone?  I didn't care to keep using up posts just to explain anything to you if you were going to get me some kind of PhD attitude.  I explained each point of yours and yet you turn around as the expert on the subject.  I don't claim to be any expert at all and I use the bible to explain FAITH which each one of you has no problem degrading.

hamby, if there is one thing about atheists that I cannot stand is this circle of pretending to want to understand the answer and ready to reject the answer before it's even understood.  It seems like you have no intention what so ever to actually understand but rather seems like you are trying to pick a fight. 

deluded, I'll get back to your question; give me a chance to formulate my answer since your last post actually seems genuinely  inquisitive....

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
These may have been

These may have been mentioned since I didn't read the whole thread:

"I KNOW there is a god"

"You don't believe in god because you don't want to."

"You believe in god but just won't admit it, to yourself or anyone."

"You can't prove X or Y or Z, so I can believe anything I want."

"The US was founded on Christian principles/is a Christian nation."

"Evolution caused the holocaust, so it's wrong."

"Einstein believed in god...the Father, the Almighty,maker of heaven and earth,of all that is, seen and unseen.in one Lord, Jesus Christ,the only Son of God,eternally begotten of the Father,God from God, Light from Light,true God from true God,begotten, not made,of one Being with the Father. Through Him all things were made.For us and for our salvationHe came down from heaven:by the power of the Holy SpiritHe became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,and was made man.For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate;He suffered death and was buried.On the third day He rose againin accordance with the Scriptures;He ascended into heavenand is seated at the right hand of the Father.He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,and His kingdom will have no end.in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,who proceeds from the Father.With the Father and the Son He is worshiped and glorified.He has spoken through the Prophets.We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.We look for the resurrection of the dead,and the life of the world to come. AMEN."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
why should I answer anything else you say if you always respond with a rude tone?

I don't know razor. Have you considered that my tone is truthful aggravation?

Quote:
I didn't care to keep using up posts just to explain anything to you if you were going to get me some kind of PhD attitude.

Oh, I'm sorry being interested in facts, evidence, and science was a bad thing. From now on I'll believe you based on um... what was it again? Oh, yeah. You're right because you say you are.

Quote:
I explained each point of yours

No. You claimed that your opinion is true. You offered NO EVIDENCE. None. Zero. Well, I claim your opinion is false. As evidence, I offer that the wording of the 10 commandments is internally contradictory. I have demonstrated this. You have not proven me wrong. Deluded has offered you scientific evidence that evolution exists.  You have not demonstrated that his information is wrong.  Stop saying you've answered. Your opinion counts for nothing unless it has EVIDENCE.

Quote:
and yet you turn around as the expert on the subject.

Guess what, kiddo. I am an expert on it. (the bible, not evolution. Yes, I'm cross posting a little.)

Quote:
I don't claim to be any expert at all

Damn good thing.

Quote:
and I use the bible to explain FAITH which each one of you has no problem degrading.

Right. Because it's nonsense. Faith is self-refuting. This has been demonstrated over and over and over by dozens of people on this site, and that's just here, on this little site!

Quote:
hamby, if there is one thing about atheists that I cannot stand is this circle of pretending to want to understand the answer and ready to reject the answer before it's even understood.

razor, one of at least twenty things about theists that aggravates me to no end is that you project your own inadequacies onto atheists. We reject things that don't make sense. Your opinions don't make sense. You don't make sense, so we reject your opinions! Offer some proof and we'll accept it. No proof, no acceptance. I promise. If you can prove that god exists, I will be the first one in line to join your church. I'll sell all my shit and move to wherever you are and join your church if you can prove god exists. You'll have plenty of money, though, because you'll be the first person in THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to be able to do it, and they'll invent a new prize for you, because the Nobel prize won't be good enough.

This is why we don't believe, razor. Out of the billions and billions of people who have ever lived, NOT ONE has been able to prove that god exists. So, we don't believe.

Quote:
It seems like you have no intention what so ever to actually understand but rather seems like you are trying to pick a fight.

No, razor. I want you to pay attention to what others say and try to understand it. But you either don't or can't. You have been refuted on every single point you've made, and you simply turn around and say, "well, I don't believe in science, so I'm right and you're wrong." Why should we listen to you?

Seriously, razor... that's not a rhetorical question. Why should we listen to you?

Razor said: Please do not mistake my objections against your definitions as misunderstanding; it's simply science that I do not accept.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: This is

Hambydammit wrote:
This is why we don't believe, razor. Out of the billions and billions of people who have ever lived, NOT ONE has been able to prove that god exists. So, we don't believe.

I want you to pay attention to what others say and try to understand it. But you either don't or can't. You have been refuted on every single point you've made, and you simply turn around and say, "well, I don't believe in science, so I'm right and you're wrong." Why should we listen to you?

Seriously, razor... that's not a rhetorical question. Why should we listen to you?

Razor said: Please do not mistake my objections against your definitions as misunderstanding; it's simply science that I do not accept.

OK I'm going to say something here that you may or may not believe but either way it is the truth from me to you.  What I want to tell you is I am not God.  Stunner I know...

I say this because only God can convince you of his existence.  This is why it's my quote, this is what I've said at least 1000 times already.  I am not here to "convert" or to "witness"; I say what I say because I have been convinced that God exists by the gift of faith and what I tell you I have read from the bible.  If that makes me irrational to you I can't help you think otherwise because you first won't believe me nor would you know me as a person based on a forum post regarding only faith.

As to what you quoted me on...if I remember the FULL post correctly, my point was not about science in general but the science that explains human evolution.  If I did not make that clear I apologize...

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I say what I say

Quote:
I say what I say because I have been convinced that God exists by the gift of faith and what I tell you I have read from the bible.  If that makes me irrational to you I can't help you think otherwise because you first won't believe me nor would you know me as a person based on a forum post regarding only faith.

No, we won't believe you.  Anyone with good sense will not believe you because your beliefs are irrational.

Faith is self refuting.  You cannot avoid this by simply claiming it isn't so. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: No, we

Hambydammit wrote:
No, we won't believe you. Anyone with good sense will not believe you because your beliefs are irrational.

Faith is self refuting. You cannot avoid this by simply claiming it isn't so.

I guess I should say thanks for proving my point. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're welcome. Thanks for

You're welcome.

Thanks for at least admitting that you don't have anything believable to say.

Books about atheism

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
To go back to the orignal

To go back to the orignal point of this thread.

• There is no such thing as an atheist
I hope this hasn't been posted, if so please accept my apology. I've got terrible memory.(I won't go into why if you would like to know pm me.)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, any Ray Comfort

Yeah, any Ray Comfort bullshit can go here.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: To go back

zntneo wrote:

To go back to the orignal point of this thread.

• There is no such thing as an atheist

I hope this hasn't been posted, if so please accept my apology. I've got terrible memory.(I won't go into why if you would like to know pm me.)

Thanks for this suggestion, and all the others everyone.... going to go through them and write up something  

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'