Eye of the needle is not the eye of the needle???

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eye of the needle is not the eye of the needle???

Someone told me today that the eye of the needle (Matthew 19:23-24) is not really the eye of a needle. I know it’s a saying intended to make a point, but this guy said that the eye was actually an entrance to a palace...

Is it just me or is this guy crazy?

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

chaospump
chaospump's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
Someone told me today that the eye of the needle (Matthew 19:23-24) is not really the eye of a needle. I know it’s a saying intended to make a point, but this guy said that the eye was actually an entrance to a palace... Is it just me or is this guy crazy?

Probably invented as a sop to the consciences of wealthy Christians, who didn't like to think that their chances of going to heaven were virtually nil as implied by the quote.

Here's a link to site that talks about it...

http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm

All of the faith and prayer in the world

All of your dumb show and circuses

You know it's a lie, it'll always be a lie

The invention of an animal who knows he's going to die

-Randy Newman

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
Someone told me today that the eye of the needle (Matthew 19:23-24) is not really the eye of a needle. I know it’s a saying intended to make a point, but this guy said that the eye was actually an entrance to a palace... Is it just me or is this guy crazy?

It's called "Cherry picking", whenever the believer gets called on an absurd claim it becomes "just a story to sybolize a moral" or "metaphore".

Funny how donkeys and serpants dont talk(even though people who read the bible litterally believe that it happened, even to this day some still do), but "spirits" can knock up girls and 3 day old dead flesh can magically dance the jig because "God did it" fixes every logical problem they have. 

Get used to it. You'll face that more and more the more you debate. "Pay no attention to the mythology behind the curtain" is what you face.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Reminds me of something I

Reminds me of something I heard: "When one person believes something absurd, it's called insanity. When it's a few people, it's called a cult. When it's many people, it's called a religion."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Angelic_Atheist

Angelic_Atheist wrote:
Someone told me today that the eye of the needle (Matthew 19:23-24) is not really the eye of a needle. I know it’s a saying intended to make a point, but this guy said that the eye was actually an entrance to a palace...

That person is a bit of an idiot. If you find the person again ask them this. "So you said that "The eye of the needle" was actually "an entrance to a palace.". In other words it's just as easy for rich person to go to the happy sky place then a non-rich person. If that were true, then what the fuck was the whole point of that verse? Is it more  bible dronning? What?"

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.