"...no atheists inside downward-spiraling airplanes...&

Sleestak
User is offlineOffline

I just caught this review of "United 93" and the following line gave me a really good eye roll:

"...we see hijackers and passengers praying alike. Whether Islamic or Judeo-Christian, there are no atheists inside downward-spiraling airplanes -- and everyone on the flight, for one brief moment, is united by fear of death and pleas for salvation."

Why is it simply assumed that in times of crisis, everyone -- without exception -- defaults to some kind of religious belief? I find this incredibly annoying.
Although I've never been in a situation even close to experiencing a hijacking or immenent plane crash, I have experienced times of crisis and emergency. NOT ONCE during these times have I suddenly adopted religious beliefs that I previously rejected!!!
Okay, I just needed to rant for a second. I'm better now.
Here's the link for the full review:

http://www.alternet.org/movies/35395/

CynageN
User is offlineOffline

It's a rather safe thing to say which is why they can get away with it. There's no way to know for sure what every one was doing in a plane as it goes down. There's really no way to record what's going through every ones mind period, let alone when they're about to die. Since it's rare for anyone to survive a spiraling plane crash, they don't have to defend their assertion because there's no one to object with evidence that says otherwise. Seeing as how theism is more widely accepted than atheism in the world, nobody cares that the asserter can't prove it except us.

Sound familiar?

natto_the_sane
User is offlineOffline

At the risk of sounding just plain accident prone, I've nearly died five times (nearly drowned at 5 & 7, car accident, crushed...) and I have NEVER 'prayed' to anyone or anything.

Even with the air squeezed out of me and turning blue in a crush of 15000 people at Waterloo Station at New Year 2000, I was an athiest through and through. *but thanks to the guy in the Marilyn Manson T shirt who saw me, climbed over about 40 people and dragged me onto the platform* Laughing out loud

Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. ~ Virginia Woolf 1928.

GuentherBacon
Rational VIP!
GuentherBacon's picture
User is offlineOffline

I'll bet if we took every atheist United States soldier and gave them season tickets to every Red Sox stadium, we could fill the bleachers. Then we can show them what an atheist in a foxhole really is.

Pat Robertson was talking about this movie on The 700 Club last night. It gave me a chuckle.

Say unto thine own heart, "I am mine own redeemer."
The Book Of Satan IV:3, The Satanic Bible

Brian
User is offlineOffline
Re: "...no atheists inside downward-spiraling airplanes

Sleestak wrote:
I just caught this review of "United 93" and the following line gave me a really good eye roll:

"...we see hijackers and passengers praying alike. Whether Islamic or Judeo-Christian, there are no atheists inside downward-spiraling airplanes -- and everyone on the flight, for one brief moment, is united by fear of death and pleas for salvation."

Why is it simply assumed that in times of crisis, everyone -- without exception -- defaults to some kind of religious belief? I find this incredibly annoying.
Although I've never been in a situation even close to experiencing a hijacking or immenent plane crash, I have experienced times of crisis and emergency. NOT ONCE during these times have I suddenly adopted religious beliefs that I previously rejected!!!

This is bullshit.

Why are believers so insistant to insert Superman vs Kriptonite in times of crisis?

Are there things in life that scare the crap out of people. YES! My corny sense of humor should serve as evidence. Sticking out tongue

But, in all seriousness. Do people really want to believe a man in a red leotard with a pitchfork is pulling the strings?

Did it ever occur to these morons that a natural explination, void of sky heros and underground villians, is the real cause.

If one is willing to accept that "Allah" doesn't exist and didn't tell the hijackers to do it, why should it be a strech to accept that "God" doesn't exist and didn't tell the passangers to fight back?

What the hell should be so scary about human behaivor? The hijackers did it because they were indoctrinated, not by a magical boogie man, but because they had been brainwashed.

The people who faught back didn't want to die and didn't want others to die. No god needed to understand this. Zues, Ra, Yahwey or Jesus are not needed to understand everyday normal human behaivor.

MAGIC IS NOT REQUIRED FOLKS.

Some bastards decided they were going to kill other people and those people faught back. NO MAGIC REQUIRED!

How the hell can a Muslim or Christian expect me to worship either god or take their position when their prick of a deity allows humans to do that to each other?

If on is going to take the theist position, this is a sick and immoral concept to follow.

Your god(incert label here) sucks if the best it can do is allow people to kill for such selfish idealism.

[b]FREETHOUGHT MEDIA AND INFIDEL GUY BRING YOU LOTS OF NEW RADIO HOSTS THE RATIONAL REDNECK,RATIONAL RESPONDERS, SILKY SHREW, BIBLE GEEK, OLD TIME ATHEIST HOUR AND MUCH MUCH MORE, BUY THEIR SHOWS AND DONATE TO ALL THESE SITES, HELP SPREAD THE VOICE OF RE

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

I know that there were was -alot- of religious faith on that plane, otherwise it wouldent be on its way to crash into a building.

(Though I even have doubts about what happened.)

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Subnormal
User is offlineOffline

this is called the "no atheists in foxholes" theory and the infidel guy once did a show with a guy who was literally an atheist in a foxhole.

Humanzy
User is offlineOffline

Sleestak wrote:

Wow quit being such a jerk, this was meant to unite people, he said everyone is afraid of death. No one doesn't have religion when they're about to die. This is in no way an argument that says religion is real.

the_avenging_bucket
the_avenging_bucket's picture
User is offlineOffline

Humanzy wrote:

Wow quit being such a jerk, this was meant to unite people, he said everyone is afraid of death. No one doesn't have religion when they're about to die. This is in no way an argument that says religion is real.

Never mind him he's just a little pissed off that we are not shutting up like he requested...

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

Humanzy wrote:

Nobody has any religion when they die... maybe except for "Oh shit, I'm toast !" I believe that that catcfhphrase was aimed DIRECTLY against atheists...

What you just said is that a CIA report titled "Bin Laden planning to attack WTC" was intended only to bring up the unity people must have should a few thousands die.

Revise your matters, pal... atheists too can be insulted.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Saganite
User is offlineOffline

All I can say is...STOP PRAYING AND BOLT FOR THE FUCKING COCKPIT!!!!!

You may know nothing about flying, but at this point, can it fucking hurt to grab the yoke and yank back on that mother? What ya gonna do, crash it more?

And as for the hijackers. Great job, assholes. You killed us all, and NOONE goes to fucking heaven!

I vote YES http//underdogryan.blogspot.com/2005/09/should-men-fling-poo.html

Darl
User is offlineOffline

The whole movie is shittily acted, shittily put together, and just a general pile of donkey feces. It's just a bunch of political mumbo jumbo that's trying to blind the public eye to all the missing facts and obvious discrepencies within the government on 9/11. It's a waste of breath even to mention this movie, so let's stop.