Problem with the church?

JesusSaves
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Problem with the church?

Hey Sapient.

well I've been thinking a lot and well idk, I guess my question is what do you think the problem is with the church now days?

"God didn't send us a doctrine to learn, or a religion to live, or a philosophy to debate. He sent us a brother to love, a madman to trust, a servant to serve, and a mystery to embrace." ~Steven James, STORY

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
The Church has terrible sex

The Church has terrible sex education. It is in a person's biology to want to be sexually active during their teen years. This makes sense because people used to live much shorter lives, and it was a necessity to reproduce early. Sexual maturity is also a very important psychological stage in a person's life. Now, the Church does its best to villify sex, and to promote abstinence-only education. Abstinence-only education is not only ineffective, but also very confusing and often harmful to the sexual maturity of a child. Children are bombarded by sexuality from all media because sex sells, and by their own hormones and sexual organs coming of age. Villifying them only causes damage and pain. It also increases the rate at which teens have anal and oral sex. In short, it is an utter failure: both morally, since it damages children psychologically while failing to prevent pregnancy and STDs, and in terms of sex prevention.

[source]

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

JesusSaves
Theist
User is offlineOffline
so are you saying that while

so are you saying that while the church is trying to prevent the bad they also prevent the good?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Exactly, IP.

Exactly, IP.

The church takes a natural process (which, according to them, thier God created) and calls it sinful. The resulting confusion leads to repression of those natural desires which either forces the person to think they have to gratify their desires in secret or let their repression manifest itself through other (sometimes violent) action.

There are other problems with the church, of course. Many of them churchpeople attribute to the atheists while not seeing them in their own minds.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
JesusSaves wrote:so are you

JesusSaves wrote:
so are you saying that while the church is trying to prevent the bad they also prevent the good?

I'm saying that the church unreasonably considers a completely natural biological process to be evil, and as a result institutes wasteful and counterproductive policies. They are not concerned with the suffering caused by STDs, teenage pregnancies, and psychological damage to children who end up viewing their own bodies as evil. This is immoral and ineffective.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
JesusSaves wrote:Hey

JesusSaves wrote:
Hey Sapient

Sorry I'm too busy to respond to a question that I could write a book on, I hope you get some of the answers you're looking for in this thread.

JesusSaves
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ok, I would definately have

ok, I think I see what your saying and if im reading it right I would agree. if im off base of what your saying please let me know guys.
definately think that one of the problem with the church is one when someone needs something and goes out to get those needs met someone else comes along and tells him that he/she is in the wrong. causing you who needs the comfort or help to hide them. like anger, or depression. or even sexual desires.

"God didn't send us a doctrine to learn, or a religion to live, or a philosophy to debate. He sent us a brother to love, a madman to trust, a servant to serve, and a mystery to embrace." ~Steven James, STORY

JesusSaves
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:JesusSaves

Sapient wrote:
JesusSaves wrote:
Hey Sapient

Sorry I'm too busy to respond to a question that I could write a book on, I hope you get some of the answers you're looking for in this thread.

why dont you write a book over it? throw your thoughts out there.

another question came to mind. do you think the christians are prideful and not only christians but other religious people?