I have just finished...

Liam_M
Liam_M's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have just finished...

I have just finished a 3 hour long MSN conversation with a Christian about her beliefs.

What a marathon. My brain has turned to mush. I was more well prepared than I thought for my first attempt at getting someone to seriously question their beliefs. Still, it was much, much harder than I thought.

It's amazing. You think you can be on to something good, and then they will say something that just completely undermines everything you've said in one sweeping fallacy. It took alot out of me. Still, I think I made an impression. She hadn't heard the part in the bible where the two bears (on god's command) kill 42 children, so now she said she will go and do research regarding the bible. I think this is a good sign.

We also touched on the topic of evolution. It is difficult to debate it with a Christian, and indeed, with a non-Christian. People seem to whiz by the fact that evolution is a science. An extremely DIFFICULT science at that. I mean, people hear the words "quantam mechanics" and "magnetic flux density" and go "Flux that I don't understand all that physics crap!". On the other hand people are quite ready to say "evolution? Nah I didn't come from no monkey (or retarded fish frog as Mrs Garrison would suggest).

How many of you atheists out there have had luck discussing someone into conversion? And if so, how did you go about it?

Thanks,

Liam_M.

P.S. If anyone wants to read it (although I doubt anyone will...) I saved the transcript of the conversation, so any pointers would be helpful Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nah, we've heard all their

Nah, we've heard all their shit before. People are ready to debate against evolution when they have no fucking clue what t's actually about.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

KoRnYAtheist
KoRnYAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes

It is extremely hard to talk to smeone who is so brainwashed into a certain worldview that they can't say that they were wrong if they were proven wrong. Welcome to my world.

I'm just to .

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Liam_M wrote: P.S. If anyone

Liam_M wrote:

P.S. If anyone wants to read it (although I doubt anyone will...) I saved the transcript of the conversation, so any pointers would be helpful :D

Liam, if you want to save it in a word.doc, .txt, or .pdf I can host it on the site somewhere for you, I've been meaning to start a section for IM debates. Send to .

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Flux that I don't

"Flux that I don't understand all that physics crap!"

Now THAT'S comedy! Laughing out loud

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Liam_M wrote:It's amazing.

Liam_M wrote:
It's amazing. You think you can be on to something good, and then they will say something that just completely undermines everything you've said in one sweeping fallacy.

Even after having heard their "arguments" 100's of times, it still stuns me when I hear what they believe.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Liam_M, There is a fairly

Liam_M,
There is a fairly good book on this subject, "Combatting Cult Mind Control" by Steve Hassan. I don't agree with everything he has to say but most of it is pretty useful. I concluded that he helps those in far out cults break free and come back to more mainstream religions, but I could be wrong about that. I'll have to reread it.

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113/sr=8-1/qid=1163948378/ref=sr_1_1/102-6511562-7336903?ie=UTF8&s=books

Getting someone to break free of their God delusion can take more than an three hour conversation. Planting the seed of doubt is a good start, however. Sometimes attacking their belief headon makes them defensive. Ask them lots of questions to discover what they believe. This will usually expose many logical fallicies and contridictions you can present to them later. Let them know that even if you disagree with them you still accecpt them, just not their irrational ideas.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca