So I was debating with a christian...

CynageN
User is offlineOffline

and when I asked him why god chose not to include the answers to every thing he knew we as humans would be asking, and leave out the answers to VERY important issues, he first went on and on about different aspects of the bible describing things that couldn't have just been guessed, so I reminded him that he was not answering my question because my question was not about the authenticity of the bible. He then responded with the following, which I really find very depressing.. however it will not shock you, it's just sad to hear that there are a greater amount of people in the world that share this opinion compared to those who actually enjoy reality;

Quote:
1) If everything was answered in the Bible... it would just be way, way to big. 2) We honestly don't need to know.

I posted this over at infidelguy.com, and figured I'd post it here as well. Feel free to move it to a different category if you see fit.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: So I was debating with a christian...

CynageN wrote:
and when I asked him why god chose not to include the answers to every thing he knew we as humans would be asking, and leave out the answers to VERY important issues, he first went on and on about different aspects of the bible describing things that couldn't have just been guessed, so I reminded him that he was not answering my question because my question was not about the authenticity of the bible. He then responded with the following, which I really find very depressing.. however it will not shock you, it's just sad to hear that there are a greater amount of people in the world that share this opinion compared to those who actually enjoy reality;

Quote:
1) If everything was answered in the Bible... it would just be way, way to big. 2) We honestly don't need to know.

I posted this over at infidelguy.com, and figured I'd post it here as well. Feel free to move it to a different category if you see fit.

Here is the thing...if the theists...respond with "it's all too big for us" "we're not meant to know" then why do they try to argue with atheists, especially within the realms of science..hahahaha...just admit from teh beginning, you don't know...and we'll leave it at that.
fucking ignorant idiots.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Samuel
Samuel's picture
User is offlineOffline

Appeal to ignorance is not a decent argument to make. "We don't know God's workings" isn't a valid argument. Stupidity is not a form of knowing things.

What gets me is that they think they know some things about God, then turn around and say that humans can't understand God. How do they even know he exists, then?

"We have faith!" Making an appeal to faith in an ARUGMENT is balony, because you are trying to use reason to explain why you shant need reason. You can refute something by using that something to show how it's wrong, you can't use FAITH or the absence of logic in a logic argument. If you are going to appeal to faith... Then just shut up.

However what your Christain friend said wasn't exactly an appeal to ignorance or an appeal to faith...

It was the logical fallacy "ad hoc." He made things up he didn't know to be true in order to satisfy your questioning.

shorty
User is offlineOffline

maybe if it didnt say too much about how the earth is flat there would be MORE room

all religious nonsense courtesy of godhatesglobes.com

Job 11:9 "Their measure is longer than the Earth and wider than the sea."
Job 38:4 "Where were you when I laid the Earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?"
Job 38:13 "That it might take the Earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?"
Daniel 4:10-11 "I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the center of the Earth. Its height was enormous. The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the Earth."

The Bible also teaches us that our flat Earth is a stationary object that the rest of the universe rotates around. Passages that refer this statement include:
Psalm 93:1 "The world also is established, that it cannot be moved."
Psalm 96:10 "Say among the nations, the lord reigns. The Earth is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity."
Psalm 104:5 The Lord "laid the foundations of the Earth, that it should not be removed for ever."
I Chronicles 16:30 "The world also shall be stable, that it be not moved."
Ecclesiastes 1:5 "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises."

And finally in the sixth century, a highly regarded Christian monk named Cosmas wrote a book entitled Topographia Christiana in which he described the structure of the physical world. Cosmas based his conclusions on the teachings of the Bible and held that the Earth is flat and surrounded by four seas. The reason for Cosmas' belief in a flat Earth was the statement in Revelation 1:7 that, when Christ returns, "Every eye shall see him." Cosmas logically concluded that if the Earth were round instead of flat, people on the other side would not be able to see Christ's second coming.

In fact the bible has more passages that pertain to the Earth being flat than it does pertaining to the issue of homosexuality (about thirty more).

2. But Jesus himself never said that the Earth was flat, did he?

God did, and orthodox Christians believe that Jesus is God. Thus Jesus did in fact say that the Earth is flat.

Passages that refer to the God/Jesus split personality include:
Isaiah 9:6 "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Matthew 28:19 "Go therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
John 12:45 "And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me."
John 14:7-9 "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou {then}, Shew us the Father?"
Corinthian 4:4 "Christ, who is the image of God."
Hebrews 1:3 "Who being the brightness of {his} glory, and the express image of his person."
Revelation 22:13 When Jesus says "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting