Clergy voice their support for evolutionary theory

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline

01 April 2006

THEY are going to hell, and have been described as "Christian whores, atheists and worse". What could be worse is hard to imagine, but such are the epithets being hurled by fundamentalist Christians at thousands of Christian clergy who have declared themselves comfortable with both religion and evolution.

More than 10,000 clergy have signed up to the "Clergy Letter Project", launched in 2004 by Michael Zimmerman of the University of Wisconsin in Oshkosh. "Evolution Sunday", held in February to discuss the compatibility of science and religion, is planned to become a yearly event at churches across the US, Zimmerman says.

"For the first time in America, thousands of Christian clergy are standing up and making it clear that the Christian fundamentalists who are shrilly screaming about the evils of evolution are not speaking for them," he says. "I'm hoping this demonstrates to a broader swathe of the public just how intolerant the fundamentalists really are."

"The Clergy Letter Project demolishes any claim that the struggles over evolution in the US are a matter of science and religion in conflict," says Kenneth Miller of Brown University, Rhode Island. Miller was the lead witness for the group of parents who last year successfully took the school board in Dover, Pennsylvania, to court to stop the teaching of "intelligent design" in science classes.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19025452.000-clergy-voice-their-support-for-evolutionary-theory.html

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline

Interesting....

Equilibrium
Equilibrium's picture
User is offlineOffline

I love it when christians fight each other.

Balone
User is offlineOffline
Love when Christians fight each other

Then you need to seek some mental health. If you like to see humans fighting humans you are a sick puppy and need help.

George Washington

Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion, and Morality are indispensable supports.—In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.—The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them.—A volume could not trace all their connexions with private and public felicity.—Let it simply be asked where is security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion.—Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure.—reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.—

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Always enjoyable to see the

Always enjoyable to see the Christians eat their own. Keeps them from plotting the destruction of everything else for a while.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Why do you keep replying in

Why do you keep replying in threads that heave been dead over 2 years?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Who are you addressing? I

Who are you addressing? I just saw this thread today.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Pretty sure he means Baloney.

Pretty sure he means Baloney.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Balone wrote:Then you need

Balone wrote:

Then you need to seek some mental health. If you like to see humans fighting humans you are a sick puppy and need help.

A)Might I suggest putting the GW quote into your sig?

B)Humans love to watch humans fighting humans. Boxing, football, pro wrestling, mixed martial arts tournaments, movies about war, movies about spies, movies about boxing et all, movies about just about anything... hell, the latest extended director's special editor's choice edition of Steel Magnolias had a 15-minute battle against ninjas. Olivia Dukakis cut one of their heads off with a... you guessed it... steel magnolia!

People LOVE to watch people fight. It's not 'sick', it's natural. It triggers our empathetic responses and gets us feeling energized. We're meat-puppets built by our DNA for the purpose of having sex and continuing the existence of that DNA, and violence is one of those big factors that gets us horny as hell. Is it regrettable? Sure, but that doesn't make it 'sick'.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I was talking to

Yeah, I was talking to Balone. He/she was the first to post in it for over 2 years.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Yeah, I

MattShizzle wrote:

Yeah, I was talking to Balone. He/she was the first to post in it for over 2 years.

I figured it was something like that. Balone doesn't seem like he objects too much to humans v. humans - especially if they don't share his Invisible Friend.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin