Do you think Theists are irratinal because they're Theist, or are Theist because they're irrational?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Do you think Theists are irratinal because they're Theist, or are Theist because they're irrational?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wachoo talkin bout

Wachoo talkin bout Willis?

All humans are irrational. Some are atheists, some are theists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
DO NOT WANT

DO NOT WANT

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Duplicitous bifurcation

Duplicitous bifurcation

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Most theists are that way

Most theists are that way because they were brainwashed that way as children.

The relatively few adults that become this way are usually in extreme emotional turmoil and are unusually irrational at the time

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Let's see if I can re-word

Let's see if I can re-word this.

This is somewhat of a follow up to my Why do you think people believe? 

That asked why they start/keep beliefs, I guess another way to  ask this, is what happens if they discard their believe?

Kinda of like Kelly's blog about atheist diversity.

Many atheists were formaly Theist, but as wavefreak pointed out, everybody has irrational beliefs, so is there a way to predict whether they will, for lack of a better phrase, hold on to some irrational aspects of their Theism?

Chicken, egg etc.... 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well crap. You were being

Well crap. You were being serious.

I suspect that there is a large emotional component in beliefs. A theist turned atheist had some deep unease about their theism, and through a process that can include a high degree of rationalism, come to a conclusion (atheism) that reduces or eliminates that unease.  It is possible that theists are in general less ill at ease with things that are lacking logic when critically examined. But I'm just speculating here, so wtf do I know.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Some people are taught

Some people are taught theism and thus a virus is handed to them, others have a propensity to be gullible and thus became religious, others have a mental disorder and therefore became religious, others are religious because of a mental disorder. 

There are dozens of other categories that we could fit people in to as well. 

mobius_thought
Theist
User is offlineOffline
This (and a couple other

This (and a couple other threads) remind me of a Monty Python skit-

"You malodorous pervert!...."

"Hey! I came in here for an argument!"

"Oh, sorry! This is Abuse!"

I suppose I should just file it under "F" for "Fudge it" since it's only further proving my point, that self-proclaimed atheists, are in reality antitheists (and thus the closest to true atheism are actually agnostics). I can't imagine any undecideds wandering in,  seeing the supposed atheists just talking random smack, and just  deciding to join the crowd... at least no actual seekers of truth. Undecideds that already enjoy belittling others, perhaps...