For Theists: Problem with Omnipotence, Free Will, Evil, and Suffering

Didymos
Didymos's picture
User is offlineOffline
For Theists: Problem with Omnipotence, Free Will, Evil, and Suffering

Theists, please address this: 

Christians who believe in free will like to argue that it's necessary for there to be evil and suffering in the world, and it's necessary for there to be a hell, because without these things, there could be no free will.  God would need to root out free will to eliminate evil, and since God values free will more than anything, he permits evil to exist. 

However, this limits God.  If God is all-powerful, he can create a universe in which there is free will and yet no evil, suffering, or hell.  In fact, if God is both all-loving and all-powerful, not only could God do this, HE ACTUALLY WOULD.  Therefore, God is either not all-powerful or not all-loving, or he is both not all-powerful and not all-loving.  

Free will doesn't bypass the problem of suffering.  If you want to hold on to your belief in God's loving beneficence, then it is necessary for you to abandon your belief that God is literally all-powerful.   

The correct way of understanding our existence is as conceptually created entities superimposed upon our changing mental and bodily states.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does an antelope suffer

Does an antelope suffer when eaten by a lion?

Suffering and evil are a matter of perspective. I think much of theism inflates humanity's overall importance to god.

richard955
User is offlineOffline
This is the best way I've

This is the best way I've seen a theist answer:

Atheist: <qoute Didymos> 

Theist: All-powerful means "capable of doing anything which is logical consistent and doesn't violate the nature of God". A universe with free will and without evil is not logical consistent because free will means the ability to choose, if God removed evil from the available choices then this would violate free will.

Atheist: Ok...Then will you have free will in heaven?

Theist: No. You surrender your free will to God in order to enter heaven.

Atheist: So god cares all this much about free will that he has to allow all the evil in the world, yet he will take it away in order to allow entrance to heaven. Care to explain this?

--I never got past this point--

To the problem of animal suffering like "the pain the zebra feels while being eaten alive by the lion", I never heard a good answer either.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.

Didymos
Didymos's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Does an

wavefreak wrote:

Does an antelope suffer when eaten by a lion?

We have no way of knowing for certain, but biology tells us that, yes, most likely the antelope does suffer.

wavefreak wrote:

Suffering and evil are a matter of perspective. I think much of theism inflates humanity's overall importance to god.

Not that belief in an all-loving deity is essential to theism, but considering that most of the world's theists would claim God is all-loving, I would say that humans are NOT guilty of inflating their importance to God if we are assuming God's omnibenevolence (which I am for the sake of the argument of this thread).  An all-loving deity would care about all sentient beings in his creation, and would care about them a great deal.

Even if suffering and evil are a matter of perspective, any being that experiences something unpleasant can be said to suffer.  Whether or not another being considers this irrelevant or unimportant is besides the point.  A loving deity would care about any being that perceives itself as suffering, however apparently trivial the suffering might be.

The correct way of understanding our existence is as conceptually created entities superimposed upon our changing mental and bodily states.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
In recent years, I've come

In recent years, I've come to understand just how arrogant Christians are when speaking of suffering and god's love for mankind.  It all goes back to the story of the Garden of Eden, where god told man to have dominion over all the animals.

God's supposed to be so fucking wonderful, and yet he put all these animals on the planet who can suffer immensely.  I saw video once of an alligator who got a hold of a wildebeast's ankle.  It was a fucking tug of war that lasted an hour, according to the narrator.  Of course, the wildebeast eventually lost, his leg mangled, tendons severed, muscles exhausted.  He was drowned rather painfully.  

Then there's the famous video from just a couple of years ago of a pack of lions taking down an elephant.  It took them a couple of hours, but the elephant was basically blind -- it was night -- and the tigers just jumped on him and dug their claws in.  After being bitten and clawed for a couple of hours, the elephant finally keeled over and the tigers grabbed his throat, strangling him and literally ripping out his flesh.

This has been happening for millions and millions of years, day in and day out -- animals suffering gruesome deaths.  When a wild animal breaks his leg, he doesn't die immediately.  He has to live with excruciating pain until he starves to death, or is eaten by another animal.  No hope of redemption.  No promise of anything good to come after death.  Just suffering.

And they say god is loving.  Fuck that.  He makes a planet full of suffering, gives it to humans, and then tells the humans he's going to send people to even worse torture for not believing how wonderful he is.

What a fucking prick.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
All of the above arguments

All of the above arguments assume the typical anthropomorphic, omni properties of mainstream western monotheism. All of these conceptualizations  of god are optimized for the maximum benefit of humanity. All I am saying is that any entity "big enough" to be a deity would likely have things more important than humanity to occupy it. We may be a part of such an entity's reality, but I would be astonished if we were it's primary focus.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: All of the above

Quote:
All of the above arguments assume the typical anthropomorphic, omni properties of mainstream western monotheism. All of these conceptualizations  of god are optimized for the maximum benefit of humanity.

True, and true.

It seems appropriate to direct arguments in that direction since it accounts for 99.9% of the theists in America.

(Recent studies have indicated that I made that number up.)

Quote:
All I am saying is that any entity "big enough" to be a deity would likely have things more important than humanity to occupy it.

Well, I suppose that's possible, but we've never really come to any agreement about the nature of an entity "big enough" to be your conception of god.  I think it's probably a bit early to be assigning motives to the thing.

You need data to calculate probability, so strictly speaking, we have no idea what kind of goals this undefined deity would have.

Quote:
We may be a part of such an entity's reality, but I would be astonished if we were it's primary focus.

You know, I've thought about this before, wave, and the reality is, if you managed to package and sell a deist god well enough to convert all the Christians to deism, I'd probably help you do it, even though I didn't believe in the damn thing.

Deism is looney, if you ask me, but it's about a thousand times better than theism.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
There is a presupposition

There is a presupposition on the term evil being used. I am curious to know what is the foundation upon which evil is understood. How can we attribute this as an inconsistency until that is clearly understood.

It would seem to me that evil can only be understood if we were told that it was so. Otherwise, the things or acts which we assume are evil are merely events that take place or things that exist. There needs to be an explanation of why one would believe that evil exists in the first place.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
curious_74 wrote: There is

curious_74 wrote:

There is a presupposition on the term evil being used. I am curious to know what is the foundation upon which evil is understood. How can we attribute this as an inconsistency until that is clearly understood.

It would seem to me that evil can only be understood if we were told that it was so. Otherwise, the things or acts which we assume are evil are merely events that take place or things that exist. There needs to be an explanation of why one would believe that evil exists in the first place.

Just go with the everyday, common, man on the street concept of "evil" and everything will be just fine.

Philosophical discussions of conventional, mundane concepts just tend to disrupt the actual purpose of the OP and waste a lot of time.

curious_74
User is offlineOffline

I apologize if this may seem “mundane” as I have a point to make in this process.

The whole premise of the question is stating an assumption that evil is a "common" understanding. I believe this understanding of evil is based on the idea that an understanding of evil, as an atheist, is a borrowed concept of those who believe in the existence of God. Giving the assumption, if God does exist, a Christian can say that evil exists because they believe that God tells them what evil is. On the other hand, an atheist does not believe in the evidence for God, and it is my belief that in an athiest worldview, there is no way to account for the existence of evil at all. Which I am more than willing to be corrected if it can be explained to me.

See, the way I see it, evil exist because God has shown us that it does. If God does not exist, then there is no reason to assume that evil exists. In addition, this whole issue is a mute subject because there is no valid reason to believe that evil exists to make an issue of it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Curious, let me put that in

Curious, let me put that in more decipherable language, ok?

IF evil is defined ONLY by god's existence, THEN atheists have no referrent for evil, AND the word cannot have meaning.

This statement is true only if evil is defined solely by god's existence.   The normal way of doing this goes something like this:

Evil is difficult to define.  If we don't agree on universal evil (the idea that there is a removed, constant measure by which evil exists), then evil doesn't exist.  Yet, evil exists.  Therefore, god exists.

The problem with this is that it creates a false dichotomy:

EITHER Universal Evil OR No Evil.

This is not the case.  There is a third option -- namely, that evil is a fluid concept based on cultural factors, evolutionary traits, and subjective valuation of harm versus return.  In fact, any competent ethicist can demonstrate this very thing.

If you're interested in learning about evil, I recommend 

A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History  

The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History

It's not about Satan/Lucifer at all.  Rather, it's an exploration of the cultural and evolutionary factors which contribute to our understanding of the concept of evil, and a rather well thought out hypothesis positing evil as the primary driving force in evolution.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Didymos wrote: Theists,

Didymos wrote:

Theists, please address this:

Christians who believe in free will like to argue that it's necessary for there to be evil and suffering in the world, and it's necessary for there to be a hell, because without these things, there could be no free will. God would need to root out free will to eliminate evil, and since God values free will more than anything, he permits evil to exist.

However, this limits God. If God is all-powerful, he can create a universe in which there is free will and yet no evil, suffering, or hell. In fact, if God is both all-loving and all-powerful, not only could God do this, HE ACTUALLY WOULD. Therefore, God is either not all-powerful or not all-loving, or he is both not all-powerful and not all-loving.

Free will doesn't bypass the problem of suffering. If you want to hold on to your belief in God's loving beneficence, then it is necessary for you to abandon your belief that God is literally all-powerful.

The problem is that it assumes that God actually knows what will become of the universe. QM shows the indetermancy that affects our lifes. This is actually for the better since then we have genuine free will. 

So I guess the best answer is, to ensure free will, set up some indetermantes that will ensure we have choice and those choices affect us. 

I'm sure there is another universe out there with extremely favourable properties, unfortunatly, we aren't in  one.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The problem is that it assumes that God actually knows what will become of the universe. QM shows the indetermancy that affects our lifes. This is actually for the better since then we have genuine free will.

Actually, the Uncertainty Principle of quantum mechanics only applies because we are attempting to observe the mechanisms of the universe from inside it, and thus are limited by needing to interact with the things we're attempting to observe. This interaction changes the properties we are not attempting at that moment to measure, which is what creates the uncertainty.

Heisenberg, in fact, when initially formulating the Principle, said specifically that if one were, like God, omniscient and capable of observing without interacting, then the uncertainty of probability would resolve itself.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:

BMcD wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Actually, the Uncertainty Principle of quantum mechanics only applies because we are attempting to observe the mechanisms of the universe from inside it, and thus are limited by needing to interact with the things we're attempting to observe. This interaction changes the properties we are not attempting at that moment to measure, which is what creates the uncertainty.

Heisenberg, in fact, when initially formulating the Principle, said specifically that if one were, like God, omniscient and capable of observing without interacting, then the uncertainty of probability would resolve itself.

That's not exactly what I meant.

What I meant by indeterminates is, for example, quantum tunneling, which certaintly relates to the uncertainty principle.

It's more like the fact that many things happen at the quantum level that affect many things. Perhaps I should have said 'universe' rather than 'life'.

Kind of like the 'butterfly effect', things change other things, they change others, etc..... This is not always at the quantum level.

[edit]

So yeah, measuring things affects other parametres, which reinforces me point if any.

As for the quote, I guess it rules out certain types of Gods (like you said omniscient for example...)

But then again in my view, in a way he does observe/interact He limits the infinite potiental........  

Sometimes I wonder 

[/edit]

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That's not exactly what I meant.

What I meant by indeterminates is, for example, quantum tunneling, which certaintly relates to the uncertainty principle.

It's more like the fact that many things happen at the quantum level that affect many things. Perhaps I should have said 'universe' rather than 'life'.

Kind of like the 'butterfly effect', things change other things, they change others, etc..... This is not always at the quantum level.

[edit]

So yeah, measuring things affects other parametres, which reinforces me point if any.

As for the quote, I guess it rules out certain types of Gods (like you said omniscient for example...)

But then again in my view, in a way he does observe/interact He limits the infinite potiental........

Sometimes I wonder

[/edit]

Yes, but again, I think you miss the point.

The 'uncertainty' in Quantum Mechanics isn't real.

The uncertainty is not a statement that, under 100% completely identical conditions, things will not always come out the same way. It is a statement that we can never claim to have established 100% completely identical conditions, because by establishing the conditions, we change them.

It's not that the underlying physics is actually inconsistent, it's that we lack the ability to ever be sure enough of exactly what the situation we're looking at is to make reliable predictions beyond a certain threshold of uncertainty. Once we have enough aggregate effects in consideration, they will begin to cancel one another out, and we can begin to make accurate predictions based on observation.

Which is to say: If "free will" is reliant upon quantum uncertainty, then there is no free will, and it is merely an illusion, because the uncertainty it relies on is in fact an illusion, and a product of the limits of our observational abilities.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
curious_74 wrote:

curious_74 wrote:

I apologize if this may seem “mundane” as I have a point to make in this process.

The whole premise of the question is stating an assumption that evil is a "common" understanding. I believe this understanding of evil is based on the idea that an understanding of evil, as an atheist, is a borrowed concept of those who believe in the existence of God. Giving the assumption, if God does exist, a Christian can say that evil exists because they believe that God tells them what evil is. On the other hand, an atheist does not believe in the evidence for God, and it is my belief that in an athiest worldview, there is no way to account for the existence of evil at all. Which I am more than willing to be corrected if it can be explained to me.

See, the way I see it, evil exist because God has shown us that it does. If God does not exist, then there is no reason to assume that evil exists. In addition, this whole issue is a mute subject because there is no valid reason to believe that evil exists to make an issue of it.

Sorry curious_74, I wasn't trying to step on your toes. I recognize the purpose of your query although I believe your definition of evil is unneccesarily limited in scope, but that it's perfectly consistent with your theistic viewpoint.

Interesting verse I found about God and evil in Isaiah 45:7 :

"I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote: Yes, but

BMcD wrote:

Yes, but again, I think you miss the point.

The 'uncertainty' in Quantum Mechanics isn't real.

The uncertainty is not a statement that, under 100% completely identical conditions, things will not always come out the same way. It is a statement that we can never claim to have established 100% completely identical conditions, because by establishing the conditions, we change them.

It's not that the underlying physics is actually inconsistent, it's that we lack the ability to ever be sure enough of exactly what the situation we're looking at is to make reliable predictions beyond a certain threshold of uncertainty. Once we have enough aggregate effects in consideration, they will begin to cancel one another out, and we can begin to make accurate predictions based on observation.

Which is to say: If "free will" is reliant upon quantum uncertainty, then there is no free will, and it is merely an illusion, because the uncertainty it relies on is in fact an illusion, and a product of the limits of our observational abilities.

On the contrary, the Uncertainty principle is causing all kinds of mischeif.

For example, at absolute 0, the atoms stop vibrating. This is unallowed by the UP, so there is something called Zero point energy of a lattice structure.

This also applies to space, as there is a zero point energy field everywhere, there is not abosulutly nothing. The ZPF shapes, for example, quantum flucuations, and maybe even radioactive decay.

This is what shapes our universe.  

When I mentioned Quantum inderteminate, I was refering to my comment on God not being omniscient about the properties of the universe, the point raised in the OP, was why didn't God create the universe this or that way?

Well, it would be kinda boring if you knew the result of your creation eh?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Forgot to mention that the

Forgot to mention that the indeterminate universe (and Earth, and life...) lets us have free will.

We have to make choices, we cannot know things to 100% certainty (due to the unpredictablity of the world...), and these choices have consequences.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Well, it would be kinda boring if you knew the result of your creation eh?

In light of the many varying opinions among theists as to the nature and purposes of God , one can only guess.Wink

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Forgot to mention that the indeterminate universe (and Earth, and life...) lets us have free will.

How so? I don't see that indeterminacy rescues free will at all. Free will is not simply not knowing, or not being able to know, the outcome of a given event. It is being able to exert control over the outcome of past events.

Quote:
We have to make choices, we cannot know things to 100% certainty (due to the unpredictablity of the world...), and these choices have consequences.

Yes, we make choices, but that is not to say we have free will. Free will requires not that we simply make choices but that we could have chosen differently. That we can not predetermine the consequences of any given action is not the same thing as saying we can willfully break a chain of causation.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vessel

Vessel wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

How so? I don't see that indeterminacy rescues free will at all. Free will is not simply not knowing, or not being able to know, the outcome of a given event. It is being able to exert control over the outcome of past events. 

Quote:

Yes, we make choices, but that is not to say we have free will. Free will requires not that we simply make choices but that we could have chosen differently. That we can not predetermine the consequences of any given action is not the same thing as saying we can willfully break a chain of causation.

The indetermnacies apply not just to science, but also to social settings, econmics, politics etc...

While you can't exactly predict the behavour of your girlfriend, you can still make choices that affects the relationship and will determine if she'll dump or keep you.

You see, our choices are a factor in the outcome. A relationship may be going down the toliet, but it's not 100% certain she will dump you. You can still make choices and 'make-up' with her. If you say something like 'Well, fuck you too.' It increases the probability of a ride to dump-ville and you didn't have to say it, you could have said something more civil. 

However if there is 100% certainty she will dump you, no matter what you do, your hitting the singles bar again. 

That is why I argue that indetermnacy is required for free will. It gives probability, and our ability to affect those probabilites. 

I think that's what your point was. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I often wonder how many

I often wonder how many times the same conversation can occur without the two sides coming to an agreement over what the premise of the conversation is.

I think it's like a tootsie pop.  The world will never know.

Books about atheism

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

"I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

Yes, this would seem to give rise to the thinking that God created evil in the conventional sense of the way we understand “create evil”. According to Strongs Hebrew Concordance, here are some meanings to the words being used.

create:

1254 bara' baw-raw' a primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes):-- choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).

evil

7451 ra` rah from 7489; bad or (as noun) evil (natural or moral):-- adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease(-ure), distress, evil((- favouredness), man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief(-vous), harm, heavy, hurt(-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief(-vous), misery, naught(-ty), noisome, + not please, sad(-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked(-ly, -ness, one), worse(-st), wretchedness, wrong. (Incl. feminine raaah; as adjective or noun.). see HEBREW for 07489

To give my simple explanation (and I do mean simple, cause this is not exhaustive study by any means), in all the commentaries I have read on this verse, there is a lot more behind it than what is portrayed by this verse alone. There is a context that is misunderstood if you wish to describe God as the author of “evil”. The context is such that it is not saying God “creates evil”, but rather he is in control of peace but in addition to it the opposite of peace, war/calamity. I am not going to choose to go into more detail as I feel this is misleading and taken out of context. Many resources are available to help understand this verse.

Hambydammit wrote:

This is not the case.  There is a third option -- namely, that evil is a fluid concept based on cultural factors, evolutionary traits, and subjective valuation of harm versus return.  In fact, any competent ethicist can demonstrate this very thing.

I still have not been explained on what authority this is true from an atheistic worldview. If I am understanding this correctly, you are saying that it is decided arbitrarily. 

Let me explain why I choose the word arbitrarily. In a naturalistic worldview, there is only matter in motion that we can account for. Correct? If this is the case, then it would seem that the idea of “survival of the fittest” is the rule of thumb (it’s the only rule that seems to make sense self-evidently to me). In other words, the strongest wins as far as exerting ones will over another. This however has not been explained as to how it became a moral factor. It is not wrong, it is not right, it just is. Unless something or someone determines how we can identify that exerting ones will over another in a way that is harmful is wrong, I don’t understand how one should believe that exerting ones will over another is “wrong” to begin with. 

This idea presupposes that there is some kind of understanding of right from wrong to begin with. There is no right and wrong when it comes to a lion eating it’s prey, so how was it that we established that it was wrong for man to murder?

This also presupposes how we came into beings who were able to actually think about these issues so that we can say this is right and that is wrong. What I am understanding here is that because culture, through evolution,  has determined something is wrong or right it should have some authority over us to say this is true. What I don’t understand is what grounds has that authority been placed? Not to mention how does naturalism, which has no “thought” process, give “thought” to what is right or wrong? In other words, how is it that we have come to being able to “think” (which is of the abstract, as far as I know, naturalism has know way of accounting for these things) about our conclusions with regard to morality when the thinking is that the very foundation of our existence had no thought process in it’s evolution? How and when did thinking begin?

In my humble understanding of this issue, for an athiest to be consistent in their worldview of naturalism, this issue of God being all-powerful and all-loving not comporting with the existence of evil is still a mute issue for an atheist because there has not been established an understanding of how we know that evil exists. I am not suggesting that we know God exists because we know that evil exists, what I am suggesting is that we know evil exists and should be asking ourselves how do we know this? Knowing that evil exists does not comport with a naturalistic worldview unless there is an explanation that correlates with naturalism as to how we evolved into thinking beings and came to an understanding of knowing what evil is and the kind of authority that is in place which requires us to abide by that knowledge. Without the understanding of a valid reason why I should abide by that authority or even why it exists in the first place, I could just as easily say that I choose to reject the notion that culture and evolutionary traits and other such factors play any effect on my idea of morality. I could just easily live a life based on impulse without any rational thought, even if it involved raping and murder and I would still be inline with naturalism because I am living according to my evolutionary ancestors (given if I believed it was true) which comes natural to me. I will guard and protect my desires and self preservation at any cost. I believe in no authority as to why you are right and I am wrong and that would be okay because that is what is. You might think I am crazy, but that brings me back to what grounds do you have the authority to pass that judgement on to me. I would be exerting my will which seems very consistent with naturalism. I am doing what comes natural to me.

Hambydammit wrote:

If you're interested in learning about evil, I recommend “The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History”

It's not about Satan/Lucifer at all.  Rather, it's an exploration of the cultural and evolutionary factors which contribute to our understanding of the concept of evil, and a rather well thought out hypothesis positing evil as the primary driving force in evolution.

I will consider looking into this book, but from your statement, I doubt I would get the answer that I am requesting. If you read this book and had an answer, I would like to think that you would just state that in your response. After all, you did mention that “any competent ethicist can demonstrate this very thing”. I am not claiming you are such an ethicist (or that you are not for that matter), but I have not seen this demonstrated yet.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I will consider

Quote:
I will consider looking into this book, but from your statement, I doubt I would get the answer that I am requesting.

When we believe we already know the answer, it's often hard to agree with others.   You've already stated that you believe morality to come from god.  I doubt you'd agree with the book.  Maybe if you tried an open mind...

Quote:
If you read this book and had an answer, I would like to think that you would just state that in your response.

Dude.  It's a 400(ish) page book.  It's not quite as simple as a bumpersticker.  It takes many pages to do.  If I told you a bumpersticker version of it, you'd say, "Yes, but X, and Y, and Z, and AA, and BB, and about twenty other objections."  Then, I'd have to respond to each of those.  By the time we got through all your potential objections, and I'd refuted them, you might as well have read the book.

Seriously, man.  Try reading the whole book.  Philosophy isn't bumper stickers.  It requires a lot of knowledge, which comes from books, not internet blogs.

Quote:
After all, you did mention that “any competent ethicist can demonstrate this very thing”.

Yes, and you'd need to read some books by competent ethicists to understand.  I can recommend some, if you'd like, but I'm not going to do it if you're just going to say, "Nah, man... I got it."

Quote:
I am not claiming you are such an ethicist (or that you are not for that matter), but I have not seen this demonstrated yet.

In the realm of letters after names, I am not an ethicist.  In other words, I don't have a degree in ethics.  However, I'm quite competent in philosophy, including ethics, primarily because I've read and absorbed most of the texts that one would read if he had such a degree.  Thanks for not assuming.  I'm happy to answer questions, even when they are hidden in insinuation.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and for the record, The

Oh, and for the record, The Lucifer Principle is not a book for ethicists, or philosophers even.  It's a book written specifically for people like you -- people who would like answers without having to get a degree. 

Books about atheism

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
curious_74

curious_74 wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Yes, this would seem to give rise to the thinking that God created evil in the conventional sense of the way we understand “create evil”. According to Strongs Hebrew Concordance, here are some meanings to the words being used.

create:

1254 bara' baw-raw' a primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes):-- choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).

evil

7451 ra` rah from 7489; bad or (as noun) evil (natural or moral):-- adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease(-ure), distress, evil((- favouredness), man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief(-vous), harm, heavy, hurt(-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief(-vous), misery, naught(-ty), noisome, + not please, sad(-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked(-ly, -ness, one), worse(-st), wretchedness, wrong. (Incl. feminine raaah; as adjective or noun.). see HEBREW for 07489

To give my simple explanation (and I do mean simple, cause this is not exhaustive study by any means), in all the commentaries I have read on this verse, there is a lot more behind it than what is portrayed by this verse alone. There is a context that is misunderstood if you wish to describe God as the author of “evil”. The context is such that it is not saying God “creates evil”, but rather he is in control of peace but in addition to it the opposite of peace, war/calamity. I am not going to choose to go into more detail as I feel this is misleading and taken out of context. Many resources are available to help understand this verse.

Hambydammit wrote:

This is not the case. There is a third option -- namely, that evil is a fluid concept based on cultural factors, evolutionary traits, and subjective valuation of harm versus return. In fact, any competent ethicist can demonstrate this very thing.

I still have not been explained on what authority this is true from an atheistic worldview. If I am understanding this correctly, you are saying that it is decided arbitrarily.

What is arbitrary in that? 

Quote:
Let me explain why I choose the word arbitrarily. In a naturalistic worldview, there is only matter in motion that we can account for. Correct? If this is the case, then it would seem that the idea of “survival of the fittest” is the rule of thumb (it’s the only rule that seems to make sense self-evidently to me). In other words, the strongest wins as far as exerting ones will over another.

This shows a misunderstanding in what is meant by survival of the fittest. Fittness does not equal strength.  The fittest are those best suited  to the environment in which they live. For man this is a social environment.  Social cohesion, or the ability to get along with others, is a key component of fitness for social animals.

Quote:
This however has not been explained as to how it became a moral factor.

Because it is what morality is. 

Quote:
It is not wrong, it is not right, it just is.

Of course nothing is wrong or right if it is removed from any relevant context. if we look at wrong and right in the context of our situation as social animals then there is a wrong and a right. 

Quote:
Unless something or someone determines how we can identify that exerting ones will over another in a way that is harmful is wrong, I don’t understand how one should believe that exerting ones will over another is “wrong” to begin with.

What would a society where one exerts their will over others look like? Do you think this forms a stable society?   

Quote:
This idea presupposes that there is some kind of understanding of right from wrong to begin with. There is no right and wrong when it comes to a lion eating it’s prey, so how was it that we established that it was wrong for man to murder?

Is there a right and wrong in men eating cows? This is where you analogy could be applicable. If we look at a lion pride from the perspective of a lion then we might see where the lion has a moral obligation to not kill his fellow lions. If lions were predisposed to kill the members of their pride then lion prides could not exist and lions would not last long a solitary animals. 

Quote:
This also presupposes how we came into beings who were able to actually think about these issues so that we can say this is right and that is wrong. What I am understanding here is that because culture, through evolution, has determined something is wrong or right it should have some authority over us to say this is true.

It has some authority over us to say this is true because we require the society. It is in our nature as social animals that we get along with pack members. If we do not we are likely not going to be able to pass along our genes in a productive manner. 

Quote:
What I don’t understand is what grounds has that authority been placed?

Survival of the society which is necessary for survival of the individual. 

Quote:
Not to mention how does naturalism, which has no “thought” process, give “thought” to what is right or wrong?

Why is thought required? 

Quote:
In other words, how is it that we have come to being able to “think” (which is of the abstract, as far as I know, naturalism has know way of accounting for these things) about our conclusions with regard to morality when the thinking is that the very foundation of our existence had no thought process in it’s evolution? How and when did thinking begin?

This is a question as to the nature of consciousness, not morality. There need be no thought behind what is actually good for us from a survival perspective to ground morals in our nature as social animals. If something is good for us it is good for us whether we think it to be or not. That we can consider moral questions does not necessitate that we have any way of arriving at absolute moral answers.  

Quote:
In my humble understanding of this issue, for an athiest to be consistent in their worldview of naturalism, this issue of God being all-powerful and all-loving not comporting with the existence of evil is still a mute issue for an atheist because there has not been established an understanding of how we know that evil exists.

Evil exists as it is defined. A couch exists as it is defined. That a couch is actually a conglomeration of subatomic particles does not mean that a couch does not exist. That evil may actually simply be  those things that tend to lessen our chances of survival (indivdually and socially) does not mean that evil does not exist. 

Quote:
I am not suggesting that we know God exists because we know that evil exists, what I am suggesting is that we know evil exists and should be asking ourselves how do we know this?

How do we know a couch exists? Because we experience what we define as a couch.  

Quote:
Knowing that evil exists does not comport with a naturalistic worldview unless there is an explanation that correlates with naturalism as to how we evolved into thinking beings and came to an understanding of knowing what evil is and the kind of authority that is in place which requires us to abide by that knowledge.

Survival advantage. And there is no reason to think anything transcendent of human existence need be required for evil to exist anymore than there needs to be something transcendent of god for evil to exist from the theistic perspective. 

Quote:
Without the understanding of a valid reason why I should abide by that authority or even why it exists in the first place, I could just as easily say that I choose to reject the notion that culture and evolutionary traits and other such factors play any effect on my idea of morality.

You could say that. What does that have to do with whether or not evil actually exists?  

Quote:
I could just easily live a life based on impulse without any rational thought, even if it involved raping and murder and I would still be inline with naturalism because I am living according to my evolutionary ancestors (given if I believed it was true) which comes natural to me.

Nonsenese, again. You could live that way but you would pay a social price, which would greatly affectyour  ability to exist as a society member and thereby exist at all.  

Quote:
I will guard and protect my desires and self preservation at any cost. I believe in no authority as to why you are right and I am wrong and that would be okay because that is what is.

But you would pay a price in survival advantage. It would not be in your best interest to do so. 

Quote:
You might think I am crazy, but that brings me back to what grounds do you have the authority to pass that judgement on to me. I would be exerting my will which seems very consistent with naturalism. I am doing what comes natural to me.

If that truly comes natural to you then you are an abnormal human animal. Most human animals have an innate desire to be socially accepted, an innate altruism, an innate sense of justice, that are evolutionarily derived traits that are necessary components in the behavior of social animals if they hope to survive and thrive. 

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Maybe if you tried an open mind...

Hambydammit wrote:

Dude.  It's a 400(ish) page book.  It's not quite as simple as a bumpersticker.  It takes many pages to do.  If I told you a bumpersticker version of it, you'd say, "Yes, but X, and Y, and Z, and AA, and BB, and about twenty other objections."  Then, I'd have to respond to each of those.  By the time we got through all your potential objections, and I'd refuted them, you might as well have read the book.

Well, I could say that you should be a little more “open minded” about the Bible, couldn’t I? Smiling

For those interested, a lot of what I am about to suggest is from the book “The Wedge of Truth: Splitting the Foundations of Naturalsim” by Philip E. Johnson. If you would like to get more details, I am sure you can get a copy from your local library or even buy it on Amazon.

Evolution, as Dawkins says, is a competition among genes. Dawkins is quoted saying, “...I shall argue that a predominant quality to be expected in a successful gene is ruthless selfishness.” He is also quoted saying, “We are survival machines-robot vehicles programmed to preserve the selfish molecules known as genes.” Johnson concludes that this implies these vehicles are acting naturally when they “murder, rob, rape or enslave other robots to satisfy their genetic masters.”

With regard to social Darwinsim, Dawkins says, “Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish. Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to, because we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs,...” This seems ridiculous to me considering, as Johnson puts it, “Any tendency to pursue goals other than gene copying would be self-extinguishing because by definition it would be less effective at spreading genetic copies...  ...it would have to evade the destructive scrutiny of natural selection...”

Steven Pinker claims, with regard to the mind, that it is a set of computers where the “self” is what unifies them from going their own individual directions. He makes my point about morality being arbitrary from a naturalistic world view prettty clear when he tried to explain infanticide back in 1996-1997. To sum up the situation, two girls around the age of 18 were pregnant and gave birth to children where minutes after birth disposed of them. Yes, they were killed. When Pinker attempted for an explanation he said that although he believes killing a baby is morally wrong, they acted in accordance to their genetic make up. Interesting that Pinker believes, “moral reasoning requires that we assume the existence of things which science tells us are unreal.”

Andrew Fergusson, from The Weekly Standard, critiques Pinker’s assessment by saying, “Basically, evolutionary Psychology proceeds by erecting a mountain of speculation on the basis of fragmentary evidence about primitive cultures.” Fergusson goes on to say that Pinker’s logic is similar to a philosopher by the name of Michael Tooley. Tooley believes that it is not wrong to kill a baby until it is around 3 months old. The reason is that he believes there is a “limited capacity for thought” and are no better than an animal. So, if a mother is unable to care for the child at birth or the child is incapable of developing into a self-reliant human being, historically and as seen in nature she is not wrong for being rid of the burden.

Pinker also says that, “Science and morality are separate spheres of reasoning.” And as Johnson puts it, “When the time is right to overthrow some traditional moral restriction, evolutionary Psychologists will complete the logic by observing that the moral sphere is as empty as the religious realm. After All, both religion and morality rest on assumptions that science has shown to be false.”

There is a lot of information I wanted to include and felt like it would take too much space. I find it interesting that with this said, I still don’t see how a person with a naturalistic worldview can possibly begin to ask the question of this thread. There still has to be some explanation of how do we know that evil exists. Otherwise, this is a mute subject to an atheist because in all reality, for an atheist, there is no way to define how we know that evil does exist. To be logically consistent, it would make more sense to say there is no good, there is no evil. There is only matter that happens to interact with it’s surrounding.

One last comment from Johnson, “Now that these philosophies are promoted in the mass media, we may expect many more people to apply the logic of nihilism to their own conduct.”

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Well, I could say

Quote:
Well, I could say that you should be a little more “open minded” about the Bible, couldn’t I? Smiling

If you did, I'd be forced to make you look stupid... again.

Quote:
For those interested, a lot of what I am about to suggest is from the book “The Wedge of Truth: Splitting the Foundations of Naturalsim” by Philip E. Johnson. If you would like to get more details, I am sure you can get a copy from your local library or even buy it on Amazon.

Thanks.

Quote:
Evolution, as Dawkins says, is a competition among genes. Dawkins is quoted saying, “...I shall argue that a predominant quality to be expected in a successful gene is ruthless selfishness.” He is also quoted saying, “We are survival machines-robot vehicles programmed to preserve the selfish molecules known as genes.” Johnson concludes that this implies these vehicles are acting naturally when they “murder, rob, rape or enslave other robots to satisfy their genetic masters.”

This makes me wonder if Johnson actually read the whole Dawkins book, or if he just quote mined it.  Dawkins goes to great lengths to dispell the strawman argument that the selfish gene implies the selfish individual.  In fact, the very opposite is true.  In order for the genes of social animals to have the best chance of reproductive success, the animals themselves must practice reciprocal altruism.  Game theory demonstrates the mathematical truth of this proposition.  In other words, if I am to have the greatest chance of surviving, my best chance is to live in a state of mutual aid.  You help me and I'll help you.

Quote:
With regard to social Darwinsim, Dawkins says, “Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish. Let us understand what our own selfish genes are up to, because we may then at least have the chance to upset their designs,...” This seems ridiculous to me considering, as Johnson puts it, “Any tendency to pursue goals other than gene copying would be self-extinguishing because by definition it would be less effective at spreading genetic copies...  ...it would have to evade the destructive scrutiny of natural selection...”

Again, Johnson has taken what seems to be a very damning statement and leaves off the ensuing explanation.  For one thing, Dawkins goes to great lengths to dispell the myth that social darwinism even exists in the way most people suppose that it does.  For another, he again goes to great lengths to explain that morality arises from both an instinctual and cultural knowledge in humans that being alone means death.  Unlike many animals, humans rely on culture for a great deal of our survival.  This is an evolutionary adaptation, and it does not, as proponents of social darwinism suggest, remove humans from the effects of natural selection.  Natural selection still operates on humans, but it is now those who function most successfully within a society who are most likely to survive.

Again, the mathematics of game theory are indisputable.  Social networks survive best when all the members practice a degree of reciprocal altruism.  We have evolved brains which can comprehend this, even without being aware of the math behind it.  As intelligent beings, we form our morals quite naturally as a matter of survival.  Another way of saying this is that those of our ancestors who were incapable of functioning in society tended not to reproduce, i.e. were not as fit as those who did.

Quote:
To sum up the situation, two girls around the age of 18 were pregnant and gave birth to children where minutes after birth disposed of them. Yes, they were killed. When Pinker attempted for an explanation he said that although he believes killing a baby is morally wrong, they acted in accordance to their genetic make up. Interesting that Pinker believes, “moral reasoning requires that we assume the existence of things which science tells us are unreal.”

Ok, so you've proven that this writer was incapable of understanding that in a complex social environment, people are often faced with two or more bad choices, and must decide between them.  Infanticide is ubiquitous in human history, and in all cases, it has represented a choice between the lesser of poor outcomes.  It's rather repulsive, actually, to watch you sitting in your comfy chair passing judgment on people without so much as an attempt to understand them as highly complex creatures who are not always given the clear choice between certain good and certain bad.

Then again, it's understandable.  It's the legacy of dualism.  Without the belief that there is some kind of platonic "ideal morality," it becomes impossible to remove the humanity from people, for we must regard each person as unique, and each circumstance as unique.  Again, we are forced into the realization that human behavior is a dynamic interaction of known and unknown variables with conscious and unconscious beliefs and motivations.

Quote:
Andrew Fergusson, from The Weekly Standard, critiques Pinker’s assessment by saying, “Basically, evolutionary Psychology proceeds by erecting a mountain of speculation on the basis of fragmentary evidence about primitive cultures.” Fergusson goes on to say that Pinker’s logic is similar to a philosopher by the name of Michael Tooley. Tooley believes that it is not wrong to kill a baby until it is around 3 months old. The reason is that he believes there is a “limited capacity for thought” and are no better than an animal. So, if a mother is unable to care for the child at birth or the child is incapable of developing into a self-reliant human being, historically and as seen in nature she is not wrong for being rid of the burden.

And all of these folks have missed the forest for the trees.  They are still presuming without evidence that such blanket statements have a basis in reality.  The philosophical defeat of dualism ought to have ended such notions, but the religious mythology runs very deep, even for those who genuinely want to know the truth.

Quote:
Pinker also says that, “Science and morality are separate spheres of reasoning.”

Morality, at its heart, is a normative set of statements.  Normative means that there's an inherent IF-THEN statement.  In other words, "IF you want this result, THEN you should act this way."

In order to understand normative statements (morality), we must also understand positive statements (science).  Pinker is correct that morality and science are separate spheres of reasoning, but what he fails to recognize is that morality is dependent on positive statements -- science.  If we do not know what causes result in what effects, we cannot make accurate predictions about what behavior will result in what consequence.

Quote:
Pinker also says that, “Science and morality are separate spheres of reasoning.” And as Johnson puts it, “When the time is right to overthrow some traditional moral restriction, evolutionary Psychologists will complete the logic by observing that the moral sphere is as empty as the religious realm. After All, both religion and morality rest on assumptions that science has shown to be false.”

This is bollocks.  Just plain bollocks.  It's just plain wrong to say that the moral sphere is as empty as the religious sphere.  At all turns, religion must steal concepts from naturalism.  However, morality is completely and utterly dependent on naturalism for its very existence.  It is intrinsic to our existence.  It is literally the cause of our continued existence.

Science has not shown the foundation of morality to be false.  To the contrary, science has demonstrated rather conclusively that our moral reasoning is one of the most fundamental aspects of our culture, and our culture is literally the fulcrum upon which the evolution of our amazing intellect hinges.

Quote:
I find it interesting that with this said, I still don’t see how a person with a naturalistic worldview can possibly begin to ask the question of this thread.

Well, it's clear that you have no concept of what science actually says about morality, so I understand your confusion.  I highly recommend that you stop reading pundits and start reading the actual science.  There are a ton of great books explaining in painfully intricate detail exactly how morality evolved.

The Evolution of Morality (Life and Mind: Philosophical Issues in Biology and Psychology) by Richard Joyce (Paperback - Sep 30, 2007)

How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature  

The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature

Adaptations and Innateness (Bradford Books)  

Moral Psychology, Volume 1: The Evolution of Morality: Adaptations and Innateness (Bradford Books)

Quote:
There still has to be some explanation of how do we know that evil exists.

Dude, we've given it to you several times, and pointed you to several books by the very people who did the research.  

Quote:
Otherwise, this is a mute subject to an atheist because in all reality, for an atheist, there is no way to define how we know that evil does exist.

Say it as many times as you like.  It's objectively wrong every time.  Your refusal to do your own research is not my problem.

Quote:
To be logically consistent, it would make more sense to say there is no good, there is no evil. There is only matter that happens to interact with it’s surrounding.

You're so close to getting it, and you can't quite put the pieces together.  Good and evil are contingent concepts.  In other words, a thing or an action cannot be either good or evil except within the context of interaction with other things or concepts, and more importantly, within the context of cause and effect.

Quote:
One last comment from Johnson, “Now that these philosophies are promoted in the mass media, we may expect many more people to apply the logic of nihilism to their own conduct.”

Nihilism is ridiculous, and it does not follow from moral relativism.  Johnson has already been refuted by numerous studies that show rather conclusively that primarily secular cultures have significantly less societal disfunction than do primarily religious cultures.

Books about atheism

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
The following is from

The following is from “The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God” by Lee Strobel. This is all to argue that there is (at the time of this book being written) no verifiable evidence that we can conclude our consciousness is a product of matter.

Darwinist will argue there is a point in which matter spawned though. An existence that allowed “subjectivity, feelings, hopes, a point of view, self-awareness, introspection, that “hidden voice of our private selves.” Thomas Huxley said, “Mind [or consciousness] is a function of matter, when that matter has attained a certain degree of organization.” Sociobiologist Edward O. Wilson said, “Consciousexperience is a physical and not a supernatural phenomenon.” This seems to be congruent with the ideas of those in this forum.

Let’s contrast this idea with the following statements. In response to Ray Kurzweil’s assumption about computers spawning conciousness, John Searle said, “You can expand the power all you want, hooking up as many computers as you think you need, and they still won’t be conscious, because all they’ll ever do is shuffle symbols.” Wilder Penfield, a neurosurgeon said, “Through my own scientific career, I like other scientists, have struggled to prove that the brain accounts for the mind.” He also said , “To expect the highest brain mexhanism or any set of reflexes, however complicated, to carry out what the mind does, and thus perform all the functions of the mind, is quite absurd...” He continues with, “What a thrill it is, then, to discover that the scientist, too, can legitimately believe in the existence of the spirit.” We also hear from John Searle say, “We don’t have an adequate theory of how the brain causes conscious states, and we don’t have an adequate theory of how consciousness fits into the universe.”

While there are some who insist there will somday be, as Antonio R. Damasio puts it, “a substantial explanation for the mind’s emergence from the brain will be produced and perhaps soon.” John E. Eccles says this attitude is “promissory materialism... extravagant and unfullfillable.” Anthropologist Marilyn Schlitz says that she is ardent with following the datate over theory and sees that the data is pointing to a refutation of the physicalist position.

There was a study published in the journals of Resuscitation in which Sam Parnia and Peter Fenwick studied sixty-three heart attack victims “who were declared clinically dead but later revived and interviewed.” They were tested and were found to have “well-structured, lucid thought processes, with memory formation and reasoning” in 10 percent. It’s no surprise that there were attempts by skeptics tried to refute this with “common objections” which were said to be ruled out. More cases were discovered to be similar.

J. P. Moreland offers some positive evidence that supports the idea of the mind being separate from the brain. He quotes Penfield who says, “There is no place... where electrical stimulation will cause a patient to believe or to decide.” Moreland also mentions how Roger Sperry, through his studies, discovered that the brains activities has nothing to do with the minds ability to make choices. Through other studies, Laurence C. Wood concluded that “Many scientists have been compelled to postulate that the existence of an immaterial mind, even though they may not embrace a belief in an after-life.”

Moreland also argues that there are philosophical arguments for the case. He says that there are things that are true for our consciousness that aren’t true for anything physical. To give an example in my own words about what he is talking about, you can think something is true, like “the sky is blue” and there would be no empirical evidence that can be shown by looking at the brain where you could say, “See that, that means this person believes the sky is blue.” All the data would show is that there is activity of something happening with the brain, but unless the participant was asked, the scientist would never be able to make the connection that the activity in the brain meant that the participant believed the sky is blue.

In listening to Greg Koukhl on his show Stand to Reason, he discusses this same issue with a caller. He mentions that the electrical impulses in and of the brain does not conclude an understanding of the mind. Yes, there has been research done in this field, but the furthest that we have gotten is that we are aware of activity in the brain, not what is actually going on with the mind. When activity is recognized, scientict still have to resort to asking the participant what triggered that response.

By the way, I don't see how resorting to insults really is a "rational" response. But I guess when morality is subjective it doesn't really matter anyway.

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
curious_74 wrote: The

curious_74 wrote:

The following is from “The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God” by Lee Strobel. This is all to argue that there is (at the time of this book being written) no verifiable evidence that we can conclude our consciousness is a product of matter.

There being no verifiable evidence that we can conclude that our mind is a product of matter, and there being no verifiable evidence that our mind is a product of matter, are two different things. Which of the evidences that our mind is indeed a product of matter did Stobel address? Or does he simply put forth objections to philosophical viewpoints and neglect addressing things such as intoxication, split brain experiments, alzheimers patients, etc... 

I would like to see any evidence that our minds are a product of spirit. Until that is produced, to argue against mind as matter is only to argue against mind as matter. It in no way gets one any closer to establishing mind as spirit. 

Quote:
Darwinist will argue there is a point in which matter spawned though. An existence that allowed “subjectivity, feelings, hopes, a point of view, self-awareness, introspection, that “hidden voice of our private selves.” Thomas Huxley said, “Mind [or consciousness] is a function of matter, when that matter has attained a certain degree of organization.” Sociobiologist Edward O. Wilson said, “Consciousexperience is a physical and not a supernatural phenomenon.” This seems to be congruent with the ideas of those in this forum.

To say that there is a point at which matter spawned thought is misleading. This gives the false impression, much like the term 'living matter' that creationists like to throw about, that the individual particles of matter each have some thought component and once assembled you have thoughts. Just as non-living matter can come together to form living organisms (not living matter) non-conscious matter can come together to form conscious organisms (not conscious matter). We are claiming that consciousness is an emergent property of the physical brain. Consciousness emerges, not from matter, but from the interaction of many various systems within the brain which are, of course, material in nature.    

Quote:
Let’s contrast this idea with the following statements. In response to Ray Kurzweil’s assumption about computers spawning conciousness, John Searle said, “You can expand the power all you want, hooking up as many computers as you think you need, and they still won’t be conscious, because all they’ll ever do is shuffle symbols.”

Just so you know, Searle is a materialist who believes that there is no spiritual component to mind. He objects to claims that computers are the correct path to take in replicating mind not that mind is fundamentally an emergent property of the physical brain. 

Quote:
Wilder Penfield, a neurosurgeon said, “Through my own scientific career, I like other scientists, have struggled to prove that the brain accounts for the mind.” He also said , “To expect the highest brain mexhanism or any set of reflexes, however complicated, to carry out what the mind does, and thus perform all the functions of the mind, is quite absurd...” He continues with, “What a thrill it is, then, to discover that the scientist, too, can legitimately believe in the existence of the spirit.”

Penfield died in 1976. While in many scientific areas that would put him pretty much up to date with current ressearch, or at least close enough to be relevant, for the young field of neuroscience that was ages ago. We should try to stick with current science. 

Quote:
We also hear from John Searle say, “We don’t have an adequate theory of how the brain causes conscious states, and we don’t have an adequate theory of how consciousness fits into the universe.”

We also don't have an adequate theory for a lot of other stuff. This says nothing as to whether or not there are tons of solid evidences in favor of the statement that mind requires no spiritual component. 

Quote:
While there are some who insist there will somday be, as Antonio R. Damasio puts it, “a substantial explanation for the mind’s emergence from the brain will be produced and perhaps soon.” John E. Eccles says this attitude is “promissory materialism... extravagant and unfullfillable.”

And on what evidence does Eccles base this claim? Or is it simply his gut feeling and lack of imagination? What kind of scientist denounces a possible outcome as unfullfillable so early in a field of study's life except a scientist who is already committed to neglecting anything that disagrees with their preconceived notions? 

Quote:
Anthropologist Marilyn Schlitz says that she is ardent with following the datate over theory and sees that the data is pointing to a refutation of the physicalist position.

What data is that? Without presenting the data the appeal to her as an authority carries no weight. 

Quote:
There was a study published in the journals of Resuscitation in which Sam Parnia and Peter Fenwick studied sixty-three heart attack victims “who were declared clinically dead but later revived and interviewed.” They were tested and were found to have “well-structured, lucid thought processes, with memory formation and reasoning” in 10 percent. It’s no surprise that there were attempts by skeptics tried to refute this with “common objections” which were said to be ruled out. More cases were discovered to be similar.

There is plenty of research into NDEs. So far they have not fared well in establishing any supernatural or spiritual component of human beings.  

Quote:
J. P. Moreland offers some positive evidence that supports the idea of the mind being separate from the brain. He quotes Penfield who says, “There is no place... where electrical stimulation will cause a patient to believe or to decide.” Moreland also mentions how Roger Sperry, through his studies, discovered that the brains activities has nothing to do with the minds ability to make choices. Through other studies, Laurence C. Wood concluded that “Many scientists have been compelled to postulate that the existence of an immaterial mind, even though they may not embrace a belief in an after-life.”

Penfield's quote seems to be focusing on looking for some type of brain center into which all data is filtered and which is the belief or decision area of the brain. I don't think that any serious neuroiscience today expects this to exist.

Sperry's quote is just simply wrong. Alzheimers, a disease that affects the physical brain, has a devastating effect on the minds ability to make choices. So do many other types of brain disease and trauma. How can he make that claim in the light of such evidence?

Wood just says some scientists believe in an immterial mind.Some scientists believe the earth is 6,000 years old.It is obvious that what some scientists believe is not necessarilly reflective of what is actually evidenced. 

Quote:
Moreland also argues that there are philosophical arguments for the case. He says that there are things that are true for our consciousness that aren’t true for anything physical. To give an example in my own words about what he is talking about, you can think something is true, like “the sky is blue” and there would be no empirical evidence that can be shown by looking at the brain where you could say, “See that, that means this person believes the sky is blue.” All the data would show is that there is activity of something happening with the brain, but unless the participant was asked, the scientist would never be able to make the connection that the activity in the brain meant that the participant believed the sky is blue.

So we can not (yet) translate the way the mind processes received information well enough to detrermine what it will elicit in a given subject. how does this show that the mind is something other than matter? Or, even further, how does spirit help in our understanding of this phenomenon? 

Quote:
In listening to Greg Koukhl on his show Stand to Reason, he discusses this same issue with a caller. He mentions that the electrical impulses in and of the brain does not conclude an understanding of the mind. Yes, there has been research done in this field, but the furthest that we have gotten is that we are aware of activity in the brain, not what is actually going on with the mind. When activity is recognized, scientict still have to resort to asking the participant what triggered that response.

So, he differentiates between the brain and the mind and says we only know what is happening in the brain, we don't know what's happening in the mind. But if the brain and the mind are one in the same as most neuroscientists are coming to understand then if we know what's going on in the brain, we do know what's going on in the mind. Koukhl, whoever he is, is simply assuming they are different subjects in order to establish that they are different subjects.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
curious_74 wrote: The

curious_74 wrote:

Let’s contrast this idea with the following statements. In response to Ray Kurzweil’s assumption about computers spawning conciousness, John Searle said, “You can expand the power all you want, hooking up as many computers as you think you need, and they still won’t be conscious, because all they’ll ever do is shuffle symbols.” Wilder Penfield, a neurosurgeon said, “Through my own scientific career, I like other scientists, have struggled to prove that the brain accounts for the mind.” He also said , “To expect the highest brain mexhanism or any set of reflexes, however complicated, to carry out what the mind does, and thus perform all the functions of the mind, is quite absurd...” He continues with, “What a thrill it is, then, to discover that the scientist, too, can legitimately believe in the existence of the spirit.” We also hear from John Searle say, “We don’t have an adequate theory of how the brain causes conscious states, and we don’t have an adequate theory of how consciousness fits into the universe.”

While there are some who insist there will somday be, as Antonio R. Damasio puts it, “a substantial explanation for the mind’s emergence from the brain will be produced and perhaps soon.” John E. Eccles says this attitude is “promissory materialism... extravagant and unfullfillable.” Anthropologist Marilyn Schlitz says that she is ardent with following the datate over theory and sees that the data is pointing to a refutation of the physicalist position.

By the way, I don't see how resorting to insults really is a "rational" response. But I guess when morality is subjective it doesn't really matter anyway.

First off, I'm glad to see you admit that Christian morality is subjective. Not many Christians are so honest. As an atheist, my morals come from what is beneficial to my fellow humans. Those don't change.

As for your Strobel quote, may I direct you here?

http://www.caseagainstfaith.com/

All of his books are dissected in detail. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: By the way, I don't

Quote:

Is that your entire rebuttal to my post, which I took a good half hour of my life composing because I thought you were interested in learning?

Now I am insulted.

I've already adressed the mind/matter thing, as have others.  Instead of quoting someone who has been publicly refuted (as you have been informed), why not make your own arguments?  Better yet, why not address the ones that have been given to you, demonstrating that you are wrong?

Books about atheism

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Quote: To sum up

Quote:
Quote:
To sum up the situation, two girls around the age of 18 were pregnant and gave birth to children where minutes after birth disposed of them. Yes, they were killed. When Pinker attempted for an explanation he said that although he believes killing a baby is morally wrong, they acted in accordance to their genetic make up. Interesting that Pinker believes, “moral reasoning requires that we assume the existence of things which science tells us are unreal.”

Ok, so you've proven that this writer was incapable of understanding that in a complex social environment, people are often faced with two or more bad choices, and must decide between them. Infanticide is ubiquitous in human history, and in all cases, it has represented a choice between the lesser of poor outcomes. It's rather repulsive, actually, to watch you sitting in your comfy chair passing judgment on people without so much as an attempt to understand them as highly complex creatures who are not always given the clear choice between certain good and certain bad.

Then again, it's understandable. It's the legacy of dualism. Without the belief that there is some kind of platonic "ideal morality," it becomes impossible to remove the humanity from people, for we must regard each person as unique, and each circumstance as unique. Again, we are forced into the realization that human behavior is a dynamic interaction of known and unknown variables with conscious and unconscious beliefs and motivations.

Quote:
Pinker also says that, “Science and morality are separate spheres of reasoning.”

Morality, at its heart, is a normative set of statements. Normative means that there's an inherent IF-THEN statement. In other words, "IF you want this result, THEN you should act this way."

In order to understand normative statements (morality), we must also understand positive statements (science). Pinker is correct that morality and science are separate spheres of reasoning, but what he fails to recognize is that morality is dependent on positive statements -- science. If we do not know what causes result in what effects, we cannot make accurate predictions about what behavior will result in what consequence.

Quote:

This is bollocks. Just plain bollocks. It's just plain wrong to say that the moral sphere is as empty as the religious sphere. At all turns, religion must steal concepts from naturalism. However, morality is completely and utterly dependent on naturalism for its very existence. It is intrinsic to our existence. It is literally the cause of our continued existence.

Science has not shown the foundation of morality to be false. To the contrary, science has demonstrated rather conclusively that our moral reasoning is one of the most fundamental aspects of our culture, and our culture is literally the fulcrum upon which the evolution of our amazing intellect hinges.

I don't know the exact origin of these quotes from Pinker, but if anyone wants an accurate portrayal of what Pinker has to say about morality here is a recent article of his on the subject. I don't think the quotes presented give an accurate impression of his position.

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
People say that evil exists

People say that evil exists because people experience this dichotomy of good versus evil. My question to the atheist is, if there is no God, then how does one explain the knowledge of evil? This question has not been answered yet and I will explain why. I have received many explanations as to “why” we know that it exist, but have yet to be explained “how”. When I say “why” I mean that I have been given descriptions as to what is believed to be a traced back idea of morality, things observed by historical morality and current morality. When I say “how” it would have to explain with empirical data that evil, an idea, is material in nature to be consistent with this worldview. Based on arguments I have heard so far, many seem to assume that because we can observe material things responding to other things that are immaterial like the Law of Gravity, that makes the Law of Gravity material. The Law of Gravity is something immaterial that is observed. It is not an actual material object that you can be seen, tasted, touched, smelt or heard. You see the result of gravity, but not gravity itself. Another concept to consider is Laws of Logic.

A=B, If B=C, then A=C.

These cannot be conventional as it would be irrational. This is why thieves get punished when caught doing a crime and why society tends to agree with it. They have more than likely committed some kind of logical fallacy in their thinking. (This is not my wallet, and it is also not the case that it is not my wallet.)

Evil is an idea. Ideas are of the immaterial, they are abstract. For materialism to be true, it would make sense that there has to be some kind of explanation that the brain (which is material) causes the mind (which is debated), which is where ideas (believed to be immaterial) are formulated. If it can be shown that the mind is material, it would make sense, only then, that ideas are material. This would build a case for the “how” and giving relevance to the “why”.

Arguing these points about the evolution of morality doesn’t build a case until this pivotal point is defined. This is my question that I am looking for an answer to. Where is the evidence that the mind is material? Until there is empirical data shown that cannot be refuted that the mind is material, there has not been stated a strong enough case. After all, materialism defines itself upon this empirical support. The arguments presented so far presuppose that the mind is material and mean nothing until that case is shown to be verifiable.

The closest evidence that has been directed to me was found in an essay by Keith Augustine were he discusses Beyersteins findings. What I find interesting of his arguments is that I don’t dispute any of these things he suggests as far as the mind being dependent of the brain. In fact, I could quote verses in the Bible that correlate with his findings. But you take a huge leap of faith when you say that the minds dependence on the brain is necessary for it’s cause when there is no evidence to support that the brain is the cause of the mind. In other words, I am dependent on a job for an income, but that income and job does not constitute my creation.

Directing me to philosophies, assumptions and conjectural ideas that say there is “no evidence” is pretty sad for a forum that says they are the “rational response” to an alternate idea. I understand that having no conclusive evidence doesn’t mean there isn’t any evidence. With that said, I would suggest that this “faith” in materialism is no different then the faith of those who believe in God.

Responses to:

jcgadfly wrote:

First off, I'm glad to see you admit that Christian morality is subjective. Not many Christians are so honest. As an atheist, my morals come from what is beneficial to my fellow humans. Those don't change.

If you are referring to believers who do not act consistent with the biblical account of morality, I would agree. Otherwise, I never stated anything to conclude that I believed morality is objective. I merely was making a statement of the conduct of this forum and accepted those terms.

jcgadfly wrote:

As for your Strobel quote, may I direct you here?

Yes, you can. May I ask what the point is? As I read this argument, I don’t see how this refutes what Lee Strobel was getting at. The very point he was trying to make was affirmed by this work. There is no evidence to support the brain being the causal factor of the mind as I stated earlier.

Not to mention some of the dubious grounds upon which the source makes it’s case on some of the issues. He accuses others of not being experts of the field in which they speak of while not being one himself. If he is, it would be nice to know his credentials. Not that it really matters because a good argument stands regardless of who says it.

jcgadfly wrote:

All of his books are dissected in detail.

I would hardly say they are from the little that I read. He seems to hit up a few topics within each section. But I wouldn’t call it “detail”.

Hambydammit wrote:

Is that your entire rebuttal to my post, which I took a good half hour of my life composing because I thought you were interested in learning?

Now I am insulted.

Well, that was my rebuttal. If you are insulted, maybe you should ask yourself why. As you can see by my pattern, I have taken some time with my responses. I want to think about what is presented before it is responded to. I guess you don’t give the same respect (nor do I expect you to).

Hambydammit wrote:

I've already adressed the mind/matter thing, as have others.  Instead of quoting someone who has been publicly refuted (as you have been informed), why not make your own arguments?  Better yet, why not address the ones that have been given to you, demonstrating that you are wrong?

Seems by your response that you are claiming that you have it all figured out. This is ironic because you have not presented answers relevant to my question nor have you said anything worth rebutting. Not to mention your method of discussion is very arrogant by accusing things about person that you know nothing about.

Truth will always prevail (whether it is what you say or what I say), are you so afraid of another persons ideas that you actually have to ridicule their person? This is why I rebutted with what I did, because I felt that was all that needed to be said. So, if you think 30 minutes is too much time to invest, then please don’t waste MY time.

Also, if public refutation means simply making a statement about it in public media, I see your point. If you are talking about actual solid arguments, I beg to differ. So far, I have seen a lot of attempts, but nothing solid enough to say otherwise. 

Like I said before, the materialist borrows ideas of a Christian worldview to build their case. You have relied on presuppositions that require explaining, as stated in this post. Until that is done, I don’t see how you can even begin to argue the problem of evil.

vessel wrote:

Sperry's quote is just simply wrong. Alzheimers, a disease that affects the physical brain, has a devastating effect on the minds ability to make choices. So do many other types of brain disease and trauma. How can he make that claim in the light of such evidence?

Sorry, I misread the line in the book. What he said was that there are faculties discovered of the mind that are separate from the brain.

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
curious_74 wrote: People

curious_74 wrote:

People say that evil exists because people experience this dichotomy of good versus evil. My question to the atheist is, if there is no God, then how does one explain the knowledge of evil?

Empathy, need, reasoning ability, and social instruction.   

Quote:
This question has not been answered yet and I will explain why. I have received many explanations as to “why” we know that it exist, but have yet to be explained “how”. When I say “why” I mean that I have been given descriptions as to what is believed to be a traced back idea of morality, things observed by historical morality and current morality.

Actually you've been given both. The materialist has no problem answering this. I would love to see how the immaterialist can explain how animmaterial mind can be said to exist. Care to take on that challenge or do you simply accept that it does even though the very claim is incoherent? 

Quote:
When I say “how” it would have to explain with empirical data that evil, an idea, is material in nature to be consistent with this worldview.

If we affect one's brain we affect one's ability to think. Brains are comprised of neurons which use chemical and electrical signals to communicate information. Both chemicals and electricity are material. We know of no other activity that could be responsible for thought. We can affect thoughts by affecting the chemicals and electrical signals that are being transmitted throughout the brain. This is empirical evidence that thoughts are material.

There is zero, zilch, nada, empirical evidence that thoughts are immaterial. Care to present some?   

Quote:
Based on arguments I have heard so far, many seem to assume that because we can observe material things responding to other things that are immaterial like the Law of Gravity, that makes the Law of Gravity material.

No. The Law of Gravity is material because it is nothing more than information carried within brains. The phenomenon described by The Law of Gravity is what we observe and if you think that phenomenon is immaterial might I suggest reading some physics.   

Quote:
The Law of Gravity is something immaterial that is observed.

Incorrect. Care to support this with something beside an assertion? 

Quote:
It is not an actual material object that you can be seen, tasted, touched, smelt or heard. You see the result of gravity, but not gravity itself.

You can't see air or microwaves either. I guess you consider these immaterial. Gravity is not immaterial. I suggest you read a little on gravity to get a better understanding of what it is. 

Quote:
Another concept to consider is Laws of Logic.

A=B, If B=C, then A=C.

These cannot be conventional as it would be irrational.

The laws of logic exist in the same way the laws of gravity exist. Information in human brains. What they describe, that A=A and such, are material truths. They are grounded in materialism. If something is not material then I would have no reason to think that the laws of logic would hold in that case. Since I have no idea what "to exist" means when discussing the immaterial, I have no way of saying that something can not both exist and not exist from that viewpoint.      

Quote:
This is why thieves get punished when caught doing a crime and why society tends to agree with it. They have more than likely committed some kind of logical fallacy in their thinking. (This is not my wallet, and it is also not the case that it is not my wallet.)

Um. No. Crime and logical fallacies are not at all related. If a criminal thought that the wallet was not their's and it was also not the case that it was not their's they would likely be put into a mental institution where drugs could be administered affecting the chemicals in their brain and thereby changing their thought processes. A material process. Criminals know that the wallet is not their's. This is why it is a crime to take it. 

Quote:
Evil is an idea. Ideas are of the immaterial, they are abstract.

Nice assertion. Where is the evidence that ideas are immaterial? You want evidence that they are material but you are willing to simply assert that they are immatterial. Why is that? 

Quote:
For materialism to be true, it would make sense that there has to be some kind of explanation that the brain (which is material) causes the mind (which is debated), which is where ideas (believed to be immaterial) are formulated.

You simply assert that ideas are believed to be immaterial. Believed to be immaterial by who? Most neuroscientists would disagree with you on that.

The way the materialist actually views this is the brain (which is material) causes the mind (which is material) which is where ideas (which are material) are formed, which makes much more sense than those believing that their is an immaterial component. Those who believe in the immaterial component should need to explain what is an immaterial component? How can immaterial interact with material? And then, they would need to go on to show evidence that this immaterial component actually does exist, not simply that a current materialist theory of mind is incorrect.   

Quote:
If it can be shown that the mind is material, it would make sense, only then, that ideas are material. This would build a case for the “how” and giving relevance to the “why”.

The science is getting there quickly. You might be amazed if you looked into recent research on the mind. I mean actual scientific research not what apologists have to say about the research. 

Quote:
Arguing these points about the evolution of morality doesn’t build a case until this pivotal point is defined.

Arguing that it is imaterial doesn't build a case until you can show the immaterial. The material theory of mind is much better supported than the immaterial.  

Quote:
This is my question that I am looking for an answer to. Where is the evidence that the mind is material?

I have already given you evidence in my first reply. 

Quote:
Until there is empirical data shown that cannot be refuted that the mind is material, there has not been stated a strong enough case.

You mean its not strong enough to beat the case that the mind is immaterial which has exactly no evidence? Wow, that's being open minded. 

Quote:
After all, materialism defines itself upon this empirical support.

Yes empirical support. And material theories of mind are well supported.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Seems by your

Quote:

Seems by your response that you are claiming that you have it all figured out. This is ironic because you have not presented answers relevant to my question nor have you said anything worth rebutting.

I'm sorry you aren't capable of understanding what I've said.  It's clear to those who understand the fundamentals of logic.

Quote:
Truth will always prevail (whether it is what you say or what I say), are you so afraid of another persons ideas that you actually have to ridicule their person? This is why I rebutted with what I did, because I felt that was all that needed to be said. So, if you think 30 minutes is too much time to invest, then please don’t waste MY time.

I wrote one small paragraph asking if you were going to ignore my rebuttal.  You've harped now for at least twice that, and still not dealt with anything I posted.

Quote:
Also, if public refutation means simply making a statement about it in public media, I see your point. If you are talking about actual solid arguments, I beg to differ. So far, I have seen a lot of attempts, but nothing solid enough to say otherwise.

No, people like Strobel have been shown to be incorrect by logicians, philosophers, and historians, many times over.  I'm not going to rewrite things that have already been written.  Do your own homework.

Quote:
Like I said before, the materialist borrows ideas of a Christian worldview to build their case.

All you're doing is showing everyone with knowledge of philosophy that you have no knowledge of philosophy. 

You don't just get to say this.  If you're going to turn the laws of logic on their head, you have to justify it, and that doesn't mean saying, "NAH NAH... I'm right because you haven't proven me wrong!"  The positive claimant is responsible for proving their claims.  You think materialism steals from Christianity?  Prove it.

Quote:
You have relied on presuppositions that require explaining, as stated in this post.

Demonstrate the truth of this claim.

Quote:
Until that is done, I don’t see how you can even begin to argue the problem of evil.

You're not doing nearly as well as you think you are.  Do you know how to demonstrate the truth of a statement logically?  Do you understand how materialism is justified?  Why don't you take the standard materialist model, and explain exactly how it has been demonstrated?  Then, refute it with counter-examples and logical arguments?

This is the last response I'll make if you're not going to actually debate.

Books about atheism

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
So, it has taken me a while

So, it has taken me a while to respond because I have been reading some articles and trying to finish some books that I got for the issue of the body/mind problem. Although, I have not finished doing all the reading I would like, and I am still fascinated by what is being discovered, I still find there is a presumption of what these “facts” mean and I would like to share my thoughts so far.

It would seem that both sides have made a critical error of using terms without describing what it is that those terms mean. I would like to clarify what some of these terms mean in the context of which I am using them and would like to welcome any clarification of better defining these terms.

Material – The substance or substances in which a thing is made or composed.

Matter – Something that occupies space and can be perceived by one or more of the five senses and subject to the laws of nature.

Immaterial – Something to have existence that is not material.

Being that we all believe in the idea of the mind to exist, that part is understood. It seems that the part in question would be it’s formal cause or the nature of it’s existence. I also find it kind of ironic that a materialist, under these circumstances, would ask for proof that the mind is immaterial. If it is “invisible” and the materialist’s basic assumption is that all things that exist are material in nature, what physical evidence can be provided for something said to be immaterial? This is like asking me to draw a circle square. Since the burden of proof is typically placed on the person stating the affirmative, and it is agreed that there is the “mind”, it would make sense that the materialist has the burden of proof to show that the “mind” is material in nature. Of course, if I am wrong, I am open to an explanation.

Is it so hard to imagine the concept of the mind and the brain being separate entities? Let me use an example that I think could make for a good analogy of this concept. Let’s consider satellite TV. There are many channels that can be viewed with satellite TV, so there are features (or functions) that it has with regard to what it can provide. This would represent the “mind”. There are usually different packages in which a subscriber can purchase determining what kind of features the subscriber has access to. This would represent the capacity of the brain to interact with the mind and vice versa, the greatest subscription package representing full access of the mind. Another component of this is the receiver that is used to be able to view Satellite TV on your television. The receiver is needed to be able to view channels from Satellite TV, but the receiver does not create the satellite images, it controls what images can be seen. Another component is the television itself, which can alter the way the image is perceived. If you have a black and white television, does this mean that Satellite TV only provides black and white images? No, it limits the perception of what the images have to offer.

I am not saying this is a proof for the existence of the mind being immaterial, nor am I saying it justifies a separate entity of the brain. Rather, I am suggesting that it is possible that through these discoveries of the brain we can only conclude the kind of interaction it has with the mind. Even Antonio Damasio admits in his book “Descartes’ Error” that his discoveries aren’t conclusive. This is one example of a reason, but does not exclude others. The existence of the mind, it’s efficient cause, is not exclusive (as far as we can say based on evidence) to the brain. It is limited in what is perceived of the mind by the brain. There is still need of further research (based on what I have read so far) to say the mind was created by the brain.

Something else I would like to suggest. If the mind is material in nature, it would seem to make sense that it is formed of some kind of substance, or matter that can be perceived by one or more of the five senses. So far, I have gathered that the mind is a result of activities in the brain. With that said, all that can exist of the mind can be verified through the brain. If I am misunderstanding this, again, I am open to clarification. To give further clarification of my discussion, I believe there is a difference between a thing itself and the things caused by the thing itself, or the function of the thing itself has. The function of the thing itself can be tested with what is perceived through our five senses. If a thought is created in the mind it has then come to some form of existence. This thought is realized in so far as we can verify the activity that occurs in the brain, but it is still locked away in the mind, hidden from all until the author of that thought reveals it. This thought itself cannot be verified unless the author of that thought tells you what it is they are thinking about. Saying that one sees the function of the thought through the viewing of the activity of synapses in the brain is not the same as seeing the thought itself.

If the mind itself is material in nature, wouldn’t it make sense that the ideas brought forth would have some kind of material nature that can be verified from the five senses, thus making it physical? This is the evidence that I’ve been asking for. Since the mind itself cannot be perceived by the five senses, and yet me know that it exists, then I see no reason to believe that the mind is material. I am stating that it is immaterial on the grounds that we believe it exists, but cannot attribute any material nature to it’s existence (as of yet).

This, then, brings us back to the issue of all the explanations of morality that I have received. They are all based on the assumption that the mind is material in nature. Until this evidence has been brought forth, there is still a need to explain the grounding of morality from an atheist worldview. So far, I have received discussions that the greatest means for survival is expressing common good to all that exist. No doubt, I would agree with this 100%. But saying that is the best means for survival doesn’t ground why I should live a good moral life to further my ability to survive. If it’s subjective, why can’t a person take the position of ultimate destruction as the means for their existence? If one chooses to refer back to “it wouldn’t promote survival” then you would be using circular reasoning and have not answered the question.

Saying that morality is subjective is to say that given a context of a situation, one response is the good moral response and in that same context it is equally valid that it is not a good moral response. A=B and A≠B. This is a fallacy with regard to the principle of contradictions. You are probably saying that there are situations where this can be true. Let me explain a little further. There has to be an understanding of the difference between what is objectively true and what is perceived to be objectively true. With what is perceived to be objectively true, there are a multiple factors of subjective experiences, things that only you can verify from personal experience, that help or sometimes cloud your judgment or understanding of a given situation that has objective truth to it, objective in that it is true regardless of how you perceive it.

In this discussion, I have received many statements about how I cannot conduct a proper argument, comments about how I believe in things and find it ironic that all of this is based on the presumption of objectivity. There is a difference between asking “how can we know what is objectively true about morality” and asking “is there objectivity to morality”. Morality has to be grounded on the principle that it is true regardless of perception for it to hold value strong enough that it would apply to others. Otherwise, to say that someone else is wrong is completely invalid. In other words, it is true regardless of how a person might feel about it. This is why it is true that expressing moral and ethical behavior promotes the survival of mankind, regardless if a person should choose a life of total destruction.

War is sometimes morally right.

Person A says that war is sometimes morally right.

Person B says that war is not sometimes morally right.

If War is sometimes morally right, then Person B is wrong.

If it is not the case that War is sometimes morally right, then Person A is wrong.

Someone is wrong because of what is objectively true about the statement “War is sometimes morally right”. It cannot be “what’s true for Person A is true for Person A but not for Person B” kind of thinking. It’s true regardless of how one feels about it and it’s hard to justify that both can be equally valid, if at all.

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
I was going to give a

I was going to give a longer discourse to this discussion but as I reviewed the question, I realized that the problem seems to lie with Didymos’ approach on this problem. To make sure I have this right, I will address it in the following format (hambydammit, I wonder if you bothered to notice how poorly this was formatted).

(1a) (Christians say that) free will is necessary for evil and suffering.

(2a) Free will is necessary for hell.

Therefore without Statement 1 or 2 there is no free will. (huh?)

And

(Although this conclusion is somewhat  sort of accurate, it’s unbeknownst to me how it came to be in this argument.) 

God needs to rid free will to eliminate evil.

(It isn't so much getting rid of it that is the problem. It's allowing it to happen and what that means. I can could go into it at another time since we are discussing the existence of God in this thread.) 

Where do I begin with all the inconsistencies?

First of all, it’s thought through more like this

(1b) God wants creatures that are morally free beings.

(2b) Creatures who are morally free beings have the freedom to choose.

(3b) Having the freedom to choose includes the choices that might hurt people.

(4b) The choices that might hurt people allows for evil.

One could conclude that because (1b) God wanted creatures that are morally free beings he was willing to (from 4b) allow for evil. It is necessary as part of being morally free to allow evil to exist. It is logically possible for God to be all-loving and allow for evil to exist.

Unlike Didymos’s statement, it isn’t that (1a) free will is necessary for evil and suffering, it is that evil and suffering are contingent parts of free will.

Atheist would like to believe that it is possible for God, so long as he is all-powerful, to be able to create a world where there is free will and no evil. When it is defined that God is all-powerful that does not include being able to defy logical reason nor does it mean that because he cannot defy logic that he is not all-powerful. It’s no wonder people are confused on this.

Imagine for a moment that I gave you a paperclip (or better yet, go get one). First, make a square out of the paperclip. Then, after you have done that, make circle with the paperclip. Once you have made that, make a circle square. (Huh!?) Exactly! This is essentially what is being asked of God, to use his strength to create something illogical. His strength has nothing to do with his ability to be rid of evil in this regard.

It is expected that because God claims to be all-powerful, he is able to defy logic. That is not what is meant when he is said to be all-powerful.

Here are some sites you can look at to get an idea of what it is I am talking about.

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5629

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/PageServer?pagename=podcasting_main

If you download “The Problem of Evil (Pt. 1)” and “The Problem of Evil (Pt. 2)”, most of my discussion will come from these to discussions he had. WARNING: this is a discussion with his Sunday school class, so part 2 has a prayer in it and a small discussion of his gratitude for the choir using their gifts for God’s glory. After that, he gets into the meat of his discussion.

curious_74
User is offlineOffline
I was listening to a

I was listening to a discussion the other day and it brought some things to mind about some of my previous posts. Consider the following arguments:

1st argument

If God does not exist, objective morality does not exist.

Objective morality exists.

Therefore, God exists.

2nd argument (the one in discussion)

If God exists, being all-powerful and all-loving, then evil cannot exist.

Evil exists.

Therefore, God does not exist.

Although, some atheist would agree that there is objective morality, for those who don’t, I find that the 2nd argument is sufficient to show that it is. Here is why. To bring some kind of harm to a child, such as pedophilia, is safe to assume that we all agree is wrong and evil. Some have argued that we know it is immoral because of evolution and society. Be careful not to commit a Genetic Fallacy by saying this invalidates that morality is objective. My question at this point would be, do we say pedophilia is immoral because it is wrong, or is it wrong because it is immoral? At any rate, for the 2nd premise of the 2nd argument to be true, to invalidate the existence of God, it has to be objectively true. If it is subjective, how can one know what evil is? Evil exists objectively on the grounds that morality is objective.

We know evil exists by the evil that people do.

The evil that people do is rooted in their moral behavior.

If this is the case, then the 2nd premise of the first argument is true and all that is required is to discuss that the 1st premise of the 1st argument. I don’t believe that it is necessary to go into to much detail about this since so many have been willing to state this claim to it’s validity. If God does not exist, objective morality does not exist. We can say this is true because there is no way for us to know that morality does exist objectively unless there is some transcendent form to show us otherwise. As I have mentioned before, without having something to ground morality in, what is to say that choosing a life purpose of total destruction invalid if morality is subjective? If one says it is the case because the “society” would pressure some one into thinking this is invalid, you still have to come up with something to ground it making it objectively true for them to be in violation of moral goodness.

Subjective is defined as “1. Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. 2. Dependent on the mind or on an individual’s perception for it’s existence.”

Objective is defined as “1. Not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts. 2. Not dependent on the mind for existence; actual.”

To say that morality is subjective is to say choosing a life of destruction is okay because it is based on that persons feelings, taste or opinions and it is dependent on that persons individual perception. So, to impose your ideals about morality on another person is indeed to believe that morality is objective and that it actually exists apart from your mind or perception.

With that said, it is impossible for God to exist and not exist at the same time which means somewhere one of the premises of the two arguments must be invalid. Since we know the 2nd premise of the 2nd argument is true and by the use of the 2nd argument we know the 2nd premise of the 1st argument is true, as well as the 1st premise of the 1st argument. It must be that the 1st premise of the 2nd argument that has a problem. As I have shown in my previous post, it would seem that that is the case leaving us with "God exists".