A Case for Christ

apu72727
User is offlineOffline
A Case for Christ

I am a teenage kid who lives and hangs out with Christians, Jews, Atheists, and Agnostics, but many of them are “fundos.” I, myself, am an outspoken Atheist who commonly finds myself arguing with them. The other day I was invited to a church event at the biggest Christian church in the city. It wasn't a big event but they showed the video/documentary, A Case for Christ. It is about an atheist who tried to disprove the existence of Christ and ended up proving it to himself and, of course, became a "believer." Most of the points made I had heard before and could counter. I have not researched the history of the time and domain of Christ (my only knowledge came from a few videos from this site and the nightline debate) so when the professors/historians were saying many "facts" that were contradicting to that of the Response Squad I became a little confused.

I was wondering if anyone in here and seen or heard of the movie. I would like to see arguments against their "proof." And I would like everything to become clear again, I'm not saying this 5 dollar documentary had converted me -it has done everything but that- but when my side says one thing supporting our side and the other side says the exact opposite, both manipulating the same fact to support their side, the fight begins to get hazy.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't know they'd made a

I didn't know they'd made a movie out of Case for Christ.  I read the book when it first came out, and it struck me as exceptionally dumb.

I was a Christian at the time.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I don't honestly

Ok, I don't honestly remember much about it, but the premise is that if a jury would find that Jesus existed and is god, then we should believe it.  He then butchers most of the arguments you've already heard...

Why would people write about such amazing stuff if it wasn't true?  Since it's so incredible, we can believe it's credible.

(Every civilization has had myths, and some people have believed them.  Christianity is no different.)

Lots of people wrote about Jesus.

(Yeah, but they all did so thirty to fifty years after his supposed existence, and there are NO CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNTS at all.)

People have been experiencing Jesus' existence personally for two thousand years.

(Yeah, and people have been experiencing Allah, and Buddah, and Gaia, too.  Lots of people believe they've talked to Elvis just yesterday.)

It's more of the same all the way through.  He puts on an amazingly thin guise of objectivity, but it's really just an excuse to preach for a hundred and fifty pages or so.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
It might be better if you

It might be better if you tell us which points you're 'cloudy' on now, and what specifically made you unsure, so we can address them in detail, instead of trying to make blind guesses?

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Check out

Check out www.caseagainstfaith.com.  There is an entire article which refutes the claims of Case for Christ.  Additionally, Strobel just camed out with a new book which contradicts his Case for Christ:  Its the Case for the Real Jesus.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

apu72727
User is offlineOffline
The biggest one was the fact

The biggest one was the fact that they claimed there is historical evidence (accepted by historians) outside of the Bible. For example the part where they get the transcript of one of the Kings(Ruler/Leader) and it mentions the name Jesus and his miracles.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
No there isn't.

No there isn't.