Uncaused existence.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uncaused existence.

Seems to me that existence as a whole is uncaused. Even if we accept the big bang starting as some quantum event in some substrate, that substrate had to have some form of existence. And then we descend into infinite regress. So I can't escape the conclusion that on some level, existence is uncaused.

If not, then at  some point, something "appeared" out of nothing. And if something can appear out of nothing, ANYTHING can appear out of nothing. If the appearance of things from nothing is limited by some underlying laws, then those laws are yet another layer of structure and they must exist before the appearance of something from nothing. Nothing means now laws or anything. From a truely null state, anything can happen.

Girl Dancing In...
Girl Dancing In Orbit's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Girl

wavefreak wrote:
Girl Dancing In Orbit wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

The totality of my experience has created a situation where the cognitive dissonance of my theism is less than the dissonance created by accepting atheism.

What do you mean by "cognitive dissonance" ?

Cognitive dissonance probably was a bad choice of words. It has a specific meaning psychologically that doesn really apply. I am speaking metaphorically, first of all. Perhaps a better metaphor is that theism balances the equaition of my consiousness better than atheism.

I don't understand that. How is that possible ?

You seems, like me, to be fascinated with existence in it's "purest" form, if I may say so.

I don't see any reasons to believe in any kind of God, and you don't either, you have said that earlier by saying that you believe it for non-rational reasons. 

For me, not believing in God, doesn't fuck with my mind at all but at the contrary, it adds to the mystery of this world. And I find this mystery to be very stimulating and this can only adds to the sense of aw and wonder that I have towards this universe.  

How can it fuck you up not believing in it ?

And postulating the existence of God is not relieving at all to me. Now you have to account for this ultimately complex being that God would be. And that, for no reasons... Every thing points to a less and less complex universe as time goes backward. What makes you think that something "ultimately" complex as God would be have created it and how can that be a relief to you ?

Si Dieu existe, c'est Son problème !
If God exists, it's His problem !--Graffiti on the walls of the Sorbonne (France), May 1968
romancedlife.blogspot.com

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: YOU ARE ONE

Brian37 wrote:

YOU ARE ONE INCH AWAY FROM BECOMING AN ATHEIST! YOU ARE SO DAMN CLOSE IT MAKES MY CHIN(sanitized for public consumption) ITCH!

LOL!

I second the motion!

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Cognitive

wavefreak wrote:

Cognitive dissonance probably was a bad choice of words. It has a specific meaning psychologically that doesn really apply. I am speaking metaphorically, first of all. Perhaps a better metaphor is that theism balances the equaition of my consiousness better than atheism. 

I think what Brian37 wants you do is asking one further 'why' question.

Why does theism balance the equaition of your consiousness better than atheism. 

If you can answer that question without an "i dont know" you are at your personal and true equilibrium.

Later, AdamTM
- I'm the guy that gets called when the other guy is not around-
- I didnt feel the love! ...Wait...was that something? ...no, no its gone -
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Girl Dancing In Orbit

LOL. That's putting rather bluntly. Honestly? I don't really know how, just that it does.  I am describing a state of mind. That's all.

Another metaphor may be like stripping away layers of an onion. Evertime I peel off a layer I find yet another. When I get to the center, there won't be any more layers and there will be nothing there or it will all make sense. You (and Brian37) are suggesting that I stop peeling the layers and accept that there is nothing at the center. I'm stubborn enough that I insist on finding out for myself.

Girl Dancing In...
User is offlineOffline
I told you in another

I told you in another post... But I don't know if you read it...

Let me lick your ass again lol, this as nothing to do with this thread

I have seen what you do and you are very talented. I'm impressed. I'll probably buy some of your things.

If God exists, it's His problem !--Graffiti on the walls of the Sorbonne (France), May 1968

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Girl Dancing In Orbit

I told you in another post... But I don't know if you read it...

Let me lick your ass again lol, this as nothing to do with this thread

ooooo. That tickles.

Quote:

I have seen what you do and you are very talented. I'm impressed. I'll probably buy some of your things.

Thanks. I was thinking of sending you a PM. I try to keep my self promotion very understated in a forum like this.

Girl Dancing In...
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

LOL. That's putting rather bluntly. Honestly? I don't really know how, just that it does. I am describing a state of mind. That's all.

Another metaphor may be like stripping away layers of an onion. Evertime I peel off a layer I find yet another. When I get to the center, there won't be any more layers and there will be nothing there or it will all make sense. You (and Brian37) are suggesting that I stop peeling the layers and accept that there is nothing at the center. I'm stubborn enough that I insist on finding out for myself.

Peels these layers, I encourage you to peel them all off, but while you do that, don't have any a priori, don't expect anything, don't have any preconceived ideas, and let the Onion (with a capital "O" ) surprise you. This can only be more stimulating.

Girl Dancing In...
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: When I

wavefreak wrote:
When I get to the center, there won't be any more layers and there will be nothing there or it will all make sense

After a sentence like that, I think that the theist badge doesn't suit you. You are probably more of an agnostic than a theist.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Wave, as much as I like you outside this issue, I am going to be quite blunt with you. You are a fool. Complacancy of "I cant explain it" is intelectuall lazyness. I think you are a bright person and capable of intellectuall bravery. I simply think your fear of being asked uncomfortable questions gets to you.

I have made a "career" out of asking tough questions, so much so that it has caused me more than a little difficulty. So I can confidently refuse the mantle of intellectual laziness. I refuse to acquiese simply on your insistence. I have long held the possibility that I am spectacularly wrong. But nothing that I have encountered has penetrated to the core of my belief. I see much that is interesting, and much that raises some very provacative questions, but I have never experienced a state of mind that resonates with the gestalt of my conciousness that does not also include theism.

*edit*

Wow. Some of the replies posted while I was typing this are way better than mine. You people have fast typer/clicker fingers.

*/edit*

To invoke the Douglas Adams quote I found only recently:

"Isn't it enough to think that a garden is beautiful without believing there are fairies at the bottom, too?"

The universe is a sometimes beautiful, sometimes terrifying, but almost always fascinating place. The parts we understand inspire awe because of their elegance. The parts we don't understand inspire awe because of their mystery, much like a magic trick to which we don't know the secret. But as elegant or mysterious as anything in the universe happens to be, it does not suggest a greater power.

If there are things in this universe we could never empirically understand, then the list of such things we could propose don't stop at just a god figure. We could have some real fun with the idea. There is no reason for us to accept that such things exist just because we can't be sure they don't, just as there is no reason for me to accept that there is an invisible, intangible ghost-sasquatch standing next to me simply because I can't empirically know that there is not. The only difference between the undetectable god and the undetectable sasquatch is that the undetectable sasquatch is silly on purpose.

You're very difficult to understand. In one way you seem to say that your belief is a feeling or an intuition that can't be described or subjected to tests of reasoning or empericism, while in other ways you seem to say your belief is based on no such thing.

I may or may not be right about this, but your insistence that your reason for believing cannot be described sounds more to me like you just don't know why you believe, but you believe that you believe for a good reason. Somehow it makes sense. You can't say how it makes sense, but somehow it does. Hm.

Not knowing exactly why I am doing something is a big enough clue for me to quit doing it.

Going back to your abstract painting analogy, it's like you're saying you don't know why you see a certain thing in all the abstract colors, you just do. But the important thing to remember is that it's an abstract painting. You can entertain the idea of seeing all kinds of things in there, and certainly people do, but whatever they see, it's still just a painting.

It kind of reminds me of a really neat quote I read once. It says a thousand things in just one sentence, if you ponder it long enough:

"I pity thee, mirror, for men look on you and see you not for what you are."

The image might be compelling, but it's still just ink splats on a canvass.

Hm.. this poetic/metaphor business kind of makes me sound like Mephiboseth. I feel all dirty all of a sudden. I better quit.

Can't help it. I'm drawn to metaphor-play like a moth to a flame. o_O

*edit*

Meta-foreplay? I'm turning myself on.

*/edit* 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Brian37

wavefreak wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

You, like Wave, are simply attempting to put new wrapping on a broken concept.

This is incorrect, for me at least. The totality of my experience has created a situation where the cognitive dissonance of my theism is less than the dissonance created by accepting atheism. I prefer to live in a state with less cognitive dissonance than more.

And there's the rub.  There is no atheism to accept.  You have to either accept the proposition of a god or be the default; an atehist.  The only possible way for there to be cognitive dissonance between atheism and anything else is if said other thing was evidence for a god.  You are not presenting any evidence for a god.  You are merely saying, well, I have no clue, really.  

In my mind, pantheism is equivalent to atheism anyway.

Quote:
Unfortunately, unless you can step into my brain and experience my consciousness, then I am yet at a loss on how to explain it.

It is impossible, by definition, for one person to experience the consciousness of tanother person.  One is defined by there unique conscious experience which is the result of the brain that is the location of the processes that make it up.  I can't have you brain because then I would not be me.  

Nonetheless, your inability to explain it is not really the point.  I sometimes have the feeling of things greater than me in the universe; of a being or presence in the universe that somehow grounds being.  It feels like the source for logic, math, thought, etc.  The difference is that I don't let those ghosts of parts of my brain that are remnants of pre-scientific thinking leak into my decision-making.  I realize that they are parts of the brain that add something to my conscious experience that have no referent in reality.  I realize they are delusions, and have always realized they were delusions (at least since I considered them as questions worth pondering).

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly wrote:

ShaunPhilly wrote:

Nonetheless, your inability to explain it is not really the point.

It is precisely the point. Were I able to understand, I would be able to explain. You would have me accept your point of view without understanding?

Science is at best a few hundred years of history. That amounts to tiny fraction of the age of the universe. So a species, scentient for but a single heart beat of the universe has assailed the roots of reality and emerged victorious? I find it amusing how confident we are in our knowledge and I am incredulous that anyone can say with certainty what does or does not explain the totality of existence. I found it annoying with fundamentalist Christians, and I get annoyed when I am told that it is certain that god does not exist.

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:...., and

wavefreak wrote:

...., and I get annoyed when I am told that it is certain that god does not exist.

Confusion here.

Atheists dont say it is certain god does not exist.

Atheists merely not believe he exists.

And since nobody can make a certain statement about it, its pointless to even debate god, since everything comes down to speculation.

Why bother with something that is irrelevant to such extent? 

-edit-

Im not saying that you shouldnt pursue the question, nor that you should "give up" intelectually.

Atheism is not "giving up" on the issue, it is merely thinking about the issue from another point.

Also my question would be, what happens if at the end of the peeling, the onion would be empty?

Does that change any values you gathered this far? 

I often compare it to my many relationships i had, i was so afraid to be dumped or left alone, but as i thought about it, it hit me.

Even if i get dumped, left alone or betrayed, it doesnt matter, since the experience, and memories i gathered are already there, they cant be taken away by it.

What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world? 

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote:   Confusion

AdamTM wrote:

Confusion here.

Atheists dont say it is certain god does not exist.

Some atheists consider this a certainty.

Quote:

Why bother with something that is irrelevant to such extent?

Irrelevant to you. Not irrelevant to me.

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
i edited my post while you

i edited my post while you responded

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote: Does that

AdamTM wrote:

Does that change any values you gathered this far?

Another analogy. I'm building a telescope. In the process I learn a great deal about optices, materials, measurement, etc. When I finally complete the telescope and peer into space, does what I see change the telescope?

Quote:

What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world?

I suspect if I could answer this then the larger question would be settled once and for all for me.

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: AdamTM

wavefreak wrote:
AdamTM wrote:

Does that change any values you gathered this far?

Another analogy. I'm building a telescope. In the process I learn a great deal about optices, materials, measurement, etc. When I finally complete the telescope and peer into space, does what I see change the telescope?

Quote:

What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world?

I suspect if I could answer this then the larger question would be settled once and for all for me.

I take the first answer of you as a "no, it wouldnt change my values gathered this far" (tho the metaphore is a bit poor, and i didnt ask for experiences Eye-wink )

So you would agree that your search about the answer is in fact more interesting and valuable than the answer itself, because the answer in your metaphore doesnt change anything, but the process of discovery does.

Also i would suggest that for you, the question if god exists or not, is not as important as the question "What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world?".

Which i guess is much easier to answer for you, than the "is there a god?" question, since it only requires going into yourself, your emotions, your brain, your values, something you can ad do know, as opposed to the question about a being that is supposed beyond your perception/nature/etc.

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote: So you would

AdamTM wrote:

So you would agree that your search about the answer is in fact more interesting and valuable than the answer itself, because the answer in your metaphore doesnt change anything, but the process of discovery does.

If you assume that the answer removes any further questions. But I think that would be boring. it would just give rise to different questions. The process is interesting, and it wouldn't stop as long as there are other questions.

Quote:

Also i would suggest that for you, the question if god exists or not, is not as important as the question "What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world?".

Nothing would change but my understanding. Nothing in my mind has the power to change reality.

Quote:

Which i guess is much easier to answer for you, than the "is there a god?" question, since it only requires going into yourself, your emotions, your brain, your values, something you can ad do know, as opposed to the question about a being that is supposed beyond your perception/nature/etc.

Are you suggesting that god is inaccessible? If that is the case then the question is moot.  I don't hold to a supernatural deity. If it is to have any value to me, such an entity must have some way of interacting with my reality. 

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think existence,

I think existence, temporarily, causality, and spatiality were not created. That's not necessarily to say our spacetime is necessarily the thing not created, merely that there is some fundamental spatiotemporal manifold that's not created. If you posit causation for existence you must posit a nonexistent causal agent, which is nonsensical. Time is also uncaused. If you posit causation you must posit a sequence of events (before and after) when there was no time (no before or after), which is nonsensical. If you posit causation for spatiality you must posit a causal agent without length, breadth, height, or location, which is to say you must posit a nonexistent causal agent, which is nonsensical. That existence, temporarily, causality, and spatiality were not created seems an inescapable conclusion.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline

wavefreak wrote:
AdamTM wrote:

So you would agree that your search about the answer is in fact more interesting and valuable than the answer itself, because the answer in your metaphore doesnt change anything, but the process of discovery does.

If you assume that the answer removes any further questions. But I think that would be boring. it would just give rise to different questions. The process is interesting, and it wouldn't stop as long as there are other questions.

Quote:

Also i would suggest that for you, the question if god exists or not, is not as important as the question "What does the answer that god would/wouldnt exist change in your world?".

Nothing would change but my understanding. Nothing in my mind has the power to change reality.

Quote:

Which i guess is much easier to answer for you, than the "is there a god?" question, since it only requires going into yourself, your emotions, your brain, your values, something you can ad do know, as opposed to the question about a being that is supposed beyond your perception/nature/etc.

Are you suggesting that god is inaccessible? If that is the case then the question is moot.  I don't hold to a supernatural deity. If it is to have any value to me, such an entity must have some way of interacting with my reality. 

Ill start like Hitchens, in reverse, this time. 

The problem i have Wavefreak, i cant really tell what you believe or not.

You didnt define your belief, nor the god you believe in, so its hard to adress anything regarding it.

i agree that only your understanding would change, not reality, obviously, but what does it MEAN to YOU?

I mean what does knowing there is a god/no god mean to you personally. Not so much on an intelectual level, but on a psychological one.

And last, im not implying that there is one final answer for anything, i even think this is impossible.

the human can ALWAYS ask one more "why".

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote: Ill start

AdamTM wrote:

Ill start like Hitchens, in reverse, this time.

The problem i have Wavefreak, i cant really tell what you believe or not.

Maddening, isn't it. Tongue out

Quote:

You didnt define your belief, nor the god you believe in, so its hard to adress anything regarding it.

Maybe this is because it is easier for me to say what I don't believe. You might say I have spent a long time tearing down my beliefs. I'm not sure that I'm done doing that. It seems like I might be done with the deconstrution and that I am slowly constructing something, but I usually end up surprised.

Quote:

i agree that only your understanding would change, not reality, obviously, but what does it MEAN to YOU?

This will sound like a dodge, but I won't know until I get there.

Quote:

I mean what does knowing there is a god/no god mean to you personally. Not so much on an intelectual level, but on a psychological one.

Don't know. Haven't considered it from that angle. Right now that doesn't interest me. But I suspect at some time it will.

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Quote: I

wavefreak wrote:

Quote:

I mean what does knowing there is a god/no god mean to you personally. Not so much on an intelectual level, but on a psychological one.

Don't know. Haven't considered it from that angle. Right now that doesn't interest me. But I suspect at some time it will.

I personally think this is the most important question for you (and a solvable one), since you admited, if you know it, it would resolve a lot for you.

Also you would know WHY theism ballances your consciousness best (an issue you raised before).

This question i think is one of the most important one for everyone, Atheist or Theist.

I personally (took a long time) came to the conclusion that psychologically i was afraid that god (the christian god in my case) existed and i would got eternally punished.

So at some time in my life i needed to pick a choice, either my integrity, freedom of thought and (supposed) eternal hellfire, or eternal submission.

I chose the first, and from that point it was basically a trip downhill Eye-wink 

Since you seem like a somewhat agnostic deist (or even pantheist, idk since you dont specify it Sticking out tongue ), it is hard for me to speculate on what you might hold as a psychologically value to your theism, but i am curious, so if not for yourself, think about it and tell me. Smiling

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

Xeron
User is offlineOffline

wavefreak wrote:
AdamTM wrote:

Confusion here.

Atheists dont say it is certain god does not exist.

Some atheists consider this a certainty.

Quote:

Why bother with something that is irrelevant to such extent?

Irrelevant to you. Not irrelevant to me.

And there we have the question of defining god . Let me ask you , how do you define your version of god . Is it a "need " for more? More knowledge , more "awe" , more "mysticism" ? Can you try for a second to take "theism" and "god" , as notions , out of the picture , since you obviously don`t belive in the bible or coran literaly god? What`s left there? Place some atributes on it please , not necearly the reason it`s there but rather what it is and why is it there

I`m not accusing you . Irrational mechanisms that are used to comfort yourself are not necesarly a bad thing , as long as you don`t get them mixed in the rational processes of your mind . As long as you can accept reality , are able to say loudly "i don`t know" , and not use those "irrational" mechanisms to fill in the gaps . 

Personaly i find myself blocking the bio-chemical reactions in the brain as the explanation for feelings , love , hate . I "need" for more to be there , i love my girlfriend , that is special , and i don`t want it all to be just biology . At a rational level i don`t deny that though , i don`t go ranting about how our spirits are bound . This is one of my irrational mechanisms , i simply ignore factual evidence and let that "more" be there . I don`t try to explain it , i allready know why it`s there , but it`s sure as hell comforting . Am I a hypocrite? perhaps. Weak person? maybe . Just human? yes . A theist ? NO

To be an atheist is the default state of not believing in a god . Many other things can be placed on top of that though 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote: I

AdamTM wrote:

I personally think this is the most important question for you (and a solvable one), since you admited, if you know it, it would resolve a lot for you.

I'm not sure how to say this without being offensive, but it's what I think that is important that matters. In this one thing, I will not let what others tell me what questions I should be asking and thoughts I should be thinking. I will always listen and consider other's input, but ultimately, this is a deeply personal thing and the choices are mine and mine alone.

Quote:

Since you seem like a somewhat agnostic deist (or even pantheist, idk since you dont specify it Sticking out tongue ), it is hard for me to speculate on what you might hold as a psychologically value to your theism, but i am curious, so if not for yourself, think about it and tell me. Smiling

Again, this may seem offensive, but satisfying the curiousity of others is not something I am interested in.

Also, I will admit that I am defensive. But you must remember, I am posting on a site where the vast majority of members are convinced of a position fundamentally different than mine, some of whom are highly motivated to see me change that position and a few that consider me delusional in an unhealthy way.  

Also I am in no hurry. I am pretty content with how my outlook serves me. We're it not for my pre-delection to asking questions, then I doubt I would even be here. And I come here, not because there are no other places to ask questions, but rather the best way to test my thoughts is not to find people that will agree and  re-inforce but rather find those that will challenge. I'm pretty sure this place fits the bill. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Xeron wrote:  Place some

Xeron wrote:

Place some atributes on it please

Sentient.

Big. Really really big.

Not supernatural. 

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline

wavefreak wrote:
AdamTM wrote:

I personally think this is the most important question for you (and a solvable one), since you admited, if you know it, it would resolve a lot for you.

I'm not sure how to say this without being offensive, but it's what I think that is important that matters. In this one thing, I will not let what others tell me what questions I should be asking and thoughts I should be thinking. I will always listen and consider other's input, but ultimately, this is a deeply personal thing and the choices are mine and mine alone.

Quote:

Since you seem like a somewhat agnostic deist (or even pantheist, idk since you dont specify it Sticking out tongue ), it is hard for me to speculate on what you might hold as a psychologically value to your theism, but i am curious, so if not for yourself, think about it and tell me. Smiling

Again, this may seem offensive, but satisfying the curiousity of others is not something I am interested in.

Also, I will admit that I am defensive. But you must remember, I am posting on a site where the vast majority of members are convinced of a position fundamentally different than mine, some of whom are highly motivated to see me change that position and a few that consider me delusional in an unhealthy way.  

Also I am in no hurry. I am pretty content with how my outlook serves me. We're it not for my pre-delection to asking questions, then I doubt I would even be here. And I come here, not because there are no other places to ask questions, but rather the best way to test my thoughts is not to find people that will agree and  re-inforce but rather find those that will challenge. I'm pretty sure this place fits the bill. 

Uh you seem awfully quickly offended, i even said in my post that it is my personal thought that it is the most important question, im giving input to issues that you raised, and im not even in a position to tell you what to think, no one is in that position.

Im not even physically able to convince you, not because i have bad arguments, but because the only person that convince you, is yourself.

As you see, im not even in any remote position to make you think anything anyways.

You seem to think that im using you for my own amusement, which is a somewhat weird conclusion.

Whats wrong about being curious about someones opinion/thoughts? sheesh 

Im not trying to forcefully deconvert you or anything (again, this is impossible for me) i was just enjoying a discussion till now.

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote:   Uh you

AdamTM wrote:

Uh you seem awfully quickly offended,

I admitted that I was defensive. I'm not sure what I can add to that.

Quote:

You seem to think that im using you for my own amusement, which is a somewhat weird conclusion.

I'm weird. What can I say. I suspect if we were talking face to face we would be able to include all of the visual and audio cues of normal conversation and this would all take a different course. Such is a primary weakness of the internet. 

Quote:

Whats wrong about being curious about someones opinion/thoughts? sheesh

Nothing. As long as I have the choice whether or not to satisfy that curiosity. 

Quote:

Im not trying to forcefully deconvert you or anything (again, this is impossible for me) i was just enjoying a discussion till now.

I'm sorry if I put you off. I have no way of knowing who is forcibly trying to deconvert me. Again, another limitation of the internet. But put yourself in my place for a minute. I am out numbered here by a hundred to one and if I say "Boo!" I'll get ten people chiming in with did you mean "BOO!", "boo!", "bOo!" or "BoO!" and at least one saying Boo! is incoherent.

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline

wavefreak wrote:
AdamTM wrote:

Uh you seem awfully quickly offended,

I admitted that I was defensive. I'm not sure what I can add to that.

Quote:

I'm weird. What can I say. I suspect if we were talking face to face we would be able to include all of the visual and audio cues of normal conversation and this would all take a different course. Such is a primary weakness of the internet. 

Quote:

Whats wrong about being curious about someones opinion/thoughts? sheesh

Nothing. As long as I have the choice whether or not to satisfy that curiosity. 

Quote:

Im not trying to forcefully deconvert you or anything (again, this is impossible for me) i was just enjoying a discussion till now.

I'm sorry if I put you off. I have no way of knowing who is forcibly trying to deconvert me. Again, another limitation of the internet. But put yourself in my place for a minute. I am out numbered here by a hundred to one and if I say "Boo!" I'll get ten people chiming in with did you mean "BOO!", "boo!", "bOo!" or "BoO!" and at least one saying Boo! is incoherent.

And i thought you were saying "Boobs!", well in that case my arguments dont count Sticking out tongue

Later, AdamTM
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AdamTM wrote: And i

AdamTM wrote:

And i thought you were saying "Boobs!", well in that case my arguments dont count Sticking out tongue

LOL. Boobs make me incoherent too.