Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Why do you think people believe?

Simple question:

Why you think people believe?

[edit]

If you're a Theist why do you believe?

If you were once Theist why did you believe?

[/edit]

Zan
User is offlineOffline
I think religion answers

I think religion answers emotional needs.  There are many.

One is the fear of death.  Religion teaches us that it is not real, that we will live forever.

Two is the need to belive that this isn't all there is or will ever be.  Note that the more harsh living conditions are the more devout people seem to be.

Three is the herd instince, the need to fit in. 

Four is the need to socialize.  Even in this country it has not been very long since church was the only social organization available, especially in rural areas.

Five is the need we humans have to explain everything.  It has been said that religion is the ignorance of nature reduced to a system.

Six is the need many have for a central authority they can turn to if in doubt about values.  Critical thought is not instinctive in most of us.

Seven is the fact that bingo is fun.  I noticed that we have several recovering Catholics hereLaughing

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: One is the fear of

Quote:
One is the fear of death.  Religion teaches us that it is not real, that we will live forever.

I don't claim to be normal in this respect, but I didn't stop fearing death until I became an atheist.

I have no idea whether this is common or not.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
This 'fear of death' does

This 'fear of death' does seem to a significant line. I have heard philosophers refer to it as though it were a self-evident universal, which is manifestly NOT true, certainly at the conscious level.

It is understandable that there would be a fundamental drive to avoid life-threatening situations - it makes evolutionary sense, but testimony from a wide range of people, and indeed observation of extremes of behaviour, demonstrate that as a conscious feeling it is far from being a universal. 

Here again we see the phenomenon of incomprehension on the part of people who assume some aspect of thought as a fundamental, when confronted with people who do not share it, just like the idea of God.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
My fear of death isn't a

My fear of death isn't a fear. It's a selfish want to exist as long as I want to.  It's not a fear of the unknown as I have experienced 'nothing' before. In fact, many night I'll experience nothing at all. Simply an 8 hour passage of time.

I've always had this selfish want. You know, to exist. It's never been a fear to die since I've always associated life with existance and death with non-existance.

It's funny, though. I went to church as a child once and only remember going just the once. For whatever reason I was singing in the choir, but it wasn't a religious song. Something about a kangaroo.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
To paraphrase Robby

To paraphrase Robby Williams (not that I’m a big fan or anything): I’m not scared of dying, I just don’t want to.

This had been a really interesting thread. I’m glad we got away from the theist bashing though. Remember that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs as long as they don’t hurt anybody (even if they are wrong). Don’t be prejudiced against religious people, don’t hate them unless the individual gives you a good reason to. Feeling a bit sorry for their confusion is ok.

I like the idea of religion as a rogue meme, a mind virus (thanks Dawkins). The symptoms are delusion disorder. If you haven’t read about it in The God Delusion, look up Delusion Disorder in Wikipedia and think of someone really religious while you read the definition.

I hate malaria, HIV etc; but I don’t hate the people suffering from them.

Anyway, I think there are lots of reasons why people believe and there have been lots of great reasons posted in this thread. I’d like to add that many people have a predisposition to believe whatever crap people tell them. Just look at the amount of psychic crap, pseudoscience and get rich quick schemes there are.

Smart people can be stupid. It sounds like a contradiction, but there are many different types of intelligence. I’m a medical scientist and I know some doctors who may be good doctors, but who believe some unfounded and ridiculous things. Also look at brilliant business people who go bankrupt or to jail for bad business. Anyway, you don’t really have to be stupid, just gullible.

I’m interested in the comment about just starting to believe in God. How the hell do you do that. I can’t just start to believe in something for no reason.

All religions that I know are just as rubbish as each other. I can kind of understand if someone thinks that evolution needs a helping hand (it is pretty amazing) and therefore conjures up a deist god. But it is still a circular argument. If the universe is to complex to exist all by itself (originally just a mass of matter and energy), then a magical sentient being already existing to create it is even less likely.

Until someone can effectively answer the question “where did God come from?” (he was always there doesn’t count), I can’t even consider the possibility that there is a god.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Venkatrajan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
HCG - Sorry to burst your

HCG - Sorry to burst your righteous bubble V, but I came up with my four examples of "Why" from people I know in real life, i.e. empirical evidence, something theists can't seem to grasp. And regarding your comment on the Jung et al "insights", thank you for once again proving my point: theists love to trot out successful people who share their delusion in an attempt to validate the delusion via association.For me , it really doesnt matter if Carl Jung or someone famous enough believes/ed in God or not. What matters is I do. So dont state that we love to dish out names of intelligent ones. This is only done, when you guys generally club all the theists into an idiot group.   So this only confirms that intelligent or moron , rational or irrational doesnt have anything to do with God belief. All categories of people have many who believe in God. Secondly fine you looked at certain people and gave reasons why people believe in God. But the conclusions that you derive may be simplistic as to the reasons.  Where I am coming from is that for some reason unknown to all of us, a huge mass of humanity believes in God, experiences it , rejoices with it, celebrates life and enjoys the grace/peace/contentment it provides. But to club the reasons into categories will not give any 10-12 definitive categories. The sheer inconsistency of thought , the multitude  of reasons for God belief is proof in itself of a larger force at work ie proof for you , not for us , we believe and are very happy at it, experience grace many times during the same week also. Latincanuck - I find many of you trashing or questioning the intelligence and insight of our ancestors. This is ridiculous. Just because mankind has achieved huge tech progress doesnt mean that the earlier generations didnt have insight . Some of the world's greatest philosophers were from 18th century Europe, many believed in God , this at a point when Science hadnt even seen the heights that it sees now. However these people were extremely intelligent.  You go back in time and look at eastern traditions, we had tremendously great philosphers in 8th century , 12th century , 3rd century India, go back further, you go to the Greeks before current era. Humanistic Jones - It is not my arguement for why I believe.  I am indicating that one doesnt need a reason to believe. You made a mistake when you startd to look for evidence of your beliefs.  God is not a theory of physics/chemistry that can be proved by an experiment or by any other means.  A person who starts to disbelieve because proof aint there is an egotist and a person lacking insight. Infact  complete simpletons is what all atheists can be categorised as   Science the way it has developed has broken the universe into bits and pieces that can be studied  theorised , experimented and formulae, proofs etc come out.   Rationalist dont look at an over all picture . This is where the true philosopher comes in. So everything has to be proved. You are on the wrong road if you start looking for proofs the conventional way. Look at a larger picture.  There are lots of questions unanswered . Further these are fairly simple questions. 1. What is the purpose of life ? 2. Why are you an animate matter , but there is lots of inanimate matter around ? 3. Why shouldnt you be a dog instead of a human ?4. Where does the universe start and end ?5. How come an embryo starts at a tiny cellular level and in nine months come out as a 7 pound baby  (all you have is conventional explanations , from what you see, because you believe only what you see? How do you know there are no forces that you cant see or measure ? 6. How do you see , what is consciousness, infact what is life in you , can you define what is inside you that is your life ? 7. Who decides when you die and how you die ? 8. Are we the only ones in this universe to have the intelligence that we do ?  Answer - Science gives us what we can see, measure etc. It doesnt give us what we cannot see or measure.  The problems with atheists is that you have a belief that what you cant see or measure doesnt exist.  So it is just a belief like us that there are forces which we cant see or measure , but  exist.You may mention God of gaps here, I will counter  that Science is a human make believe of filling up minor gaps, but has left behind huge valleys (not small gaps) where you will just fall deep inside.Lets first crack very basic question about say what is life inside you and me and then go onto breaking up the universe and finding the 'ultimate matter' if it is there.As Carl Jung says in response to whether he believes God existed, he said he doesnt believe it , he is completely convinced about it.

I am looking for Atheists to increase my belief in God

RationalDeist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:
RationalDeist wrote:
well of course, everyone assumes SOMETHING to be true every time they think about pretty much anything. Heck, scientists are even assuming that everything in the natural world can be quantified through mathematical concepts. Assuming can be good.

But some people are prepared to re-examine and modify, or even throw out, assumptions which don't seem to accord with newly acquired insights and/or information.

many theists fit into this as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
stop assuming there is a god.
I don't assume there is a God. I decided there is a God. But keep on thinking what you want to think, whatever.

There's your problem. Actual knowledge is not about 'deciding', it's about assessment of likely truth based on balance of evidence, subject to change if you evidence is encountered. Unless your decision was based on such an assessment, it is purely an assumption, as stated.

its not knowledge of that kind, nor does any theist claim it to be, so it isn't subject to any of these criticisms. It may make some atheists angry, to believe in something without empiricle evidence, but there are reasons to do so--many of them being highlighted here.

Unless these base reasons are adressed therefore, there is simply no way that many theists are going to give up their beliefs in God, which give them so much, for atheism.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalDeist

RationalDeist wrote:
BobSpence1 wrote:
RationalDeist wrote:
well of course, everyone assumes SOMETHING to be true every time they think about pretty much anything. Heck, scientists are even assuming that everything in the natural world can be quantified through mathematical concepts. Assuming can be good.

But some people are prepared to re-examine and modify, or even throw out, assumptions which don't seem to accord with newly acquired insights and/or information.

Quote:

many theists fit into this as well.

Quote:
Quote:
stop assuming there is a god.
I don't assume there is a God. I decided there is a God. But keep on thinking what you want to think, whatever.

There's your problem. Actual knowledge is not about 'deciding', it's about assessment of likely truth based on balance of evidence, subject to change if you evidence is encountered. Unless your decision was based on such an assessment, it is purely an assumption, as stated.

its not knowledge of that kind, nor does any theist claim it to be, so it isn't subject to any of these criticisms. It may make some atheists angry, to believe in something without empiricle evidence, but there are reasons to do so--many of them being highlighted here.

Unless these base reasons are adressed therefore, there is simply no way that many theists are going to give up their beliefs in God, which give them so much, for atheism.

Of course people are going to continue to do that. But we know that some people have responded to our arguments to help them get over religion, of course usually only those already wrestling with doubts, as their rational faculties allow them to start seeing all the logical difficulties and inconsistencies in the doctrines.

My point was that you denied you are 'assuming' the existence of God. But belief without evidence really requires just that. Using words like 'belief' or 'faith' may make it sound more respectable, but doesn't change the fact.

If you 'decide' (your word) to believe something, or at least act as though it is true, with inadequate or no evidence for it, is effectively is meant by 'assuming' it is true. It is not necessarily a bad thing at all, we often have to act on inadequate information, so you shouldn't feel any need to deny it, unless you don't like the implications or connotations of the term.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. What is the purpose of

It is not my arguement for why I believe.  I am indicating that one doesnt need a reason to believe. You made a mistake when you startd to look for evidence of your beliefs.  God is not a theory of physics/chemistry that can be proved by an experiment or by any other means.So what you are saying is that there is no reason to believe in god and that god has never touched the universe in a way that anyone would ever be able to see, know, or observe indirectly through inference.  In other words God is in fact nothing.   1. What is the purpose of life ?For you? I don't know. For me, its whatever I choose it to be. 2. Why are you an animate matter , but there is lots of inanimate matter around ?Define animate matter. Matter that was "animate" within me a few days ago is now "inanimate" in the container of my vacuum cleaner. Matter that was "inanimate" in the ground weeks ago has been eaten by me to become "animate" inside of me. 3. Why shouldnt you be a dog instead of a human ?Um... my parents were humans not dogs. What kind of question is that. 4. Where does the universe start and end ?As one who is not trained in astrophysics or any relevant field, I will give my honest answer as a scientist... I don't know. However I'm inclined to say that it starts and ends where it starts and ends. 5. How come an embryo starts at a tiny cellular level and in nine months come out as a 7 pound baby (all you have is conventional explanations , from what you see, because you believe only what you see? How do you know there are no forces that you cant see or measure ? For the first part, read up on embryology and developmental biology. For your second part, I would assume that we don't know about forces that we can't see or measure because we can't see or measure them. If there is nothing, I mean nothing, to see or measure then it means that there was nothing that affected our reality in the first place. 6. How do you see,Photons stimulate receptor protiens that send a signal by way of the optical nerve, resulting in a simulational process in my visual cortex allerting my matter that there is matter near by. what is consciousness,The process by which my brain matter simulates the world around it. infact what is life in you , can you define what is inside you that is your life?My life is the referential simulation of the world around me that I have built up by way of recorded and related experiences. All of the memories, patterns, learned behaviors... that is the thing correctly called Jones. Erase that, you still have a human, but not me. 7. Who decides when you die and how you die ?The man with the gun to my head telling me to keep typing. Or maybe the person that detonates a bomb near me. Or maybe myself, deciding to go out in a blaze of glory or with an apple laced with cyanide. Or maybe the electrical signals that regulate my biofunctions fail in my sleep, thus having no one make the decision. 8. Are we the only ones in this universe to have the intelligence that we do ?Quote Douglas Adams on this one "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons." Honestly though, if there was another race with a culture similar enough to ours to share the same concept of intelligence as us, and also possessed the same level or greater, I'd love to meet them.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

Venkatrajan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
HJ - So what you are saying

HJ - So what you are saying is that there is no reason to believe in god and that god has never touched the universe in a way that anyone would ever be able to see, know, or observe indirectly through inference.  In other words God is in fact nothing. You have distorted what I say. I am not saying there is no reason to believe in God as an atheist would like to put it.  You can ask many theists this question that why they believe. Many will answer that have not thought of reasons or they havent rationalized in some manner and then they believed. Thus the God belief is not having a thought process behind it leading to the belief.   The belief is present without rationalization.  So to identify and categorize reasons for the belief is futile.  The second part of your statement reflects the simpleton thinking.  An assumption that what cannot be seen or measuerd , doesnt exist. Well it certainly may not exist like we exist, but then it is irrational to hold it doesnt existYou have bacteria in your stomach. It cant see or feel you. It is 200% sure  it is the only being around with other bacteria like it. Is it justified in holding this assertion that it alone exists. How do you know that you are not akin to a bacteria in a giant God stomach ? It is perfectly rational to hold that there are beings or forces that you and me cannot see the way we see. Taking this to other end , what you and me see through the dualistic subject/object divide that humans have created for themselves itself is an illusion.  When you shut off your senses and are fully aware of your Self within you , you realize that there is no space and time. These were in your mind only. You are the universe and the universe is you . This can be experienced by you if you try hard enough.  You will see the all pervading universal Self everywhere.  A higher level of truth of reality that pervades. So you see truth itself has various levels. What you see in your dream vividly was true in your sleep, when you wake up , it is false. So truth itself has not absoluteness about it. It is true in a particular frame only . When the franme changes, what was true becomes false. A child is born with absolutely non dualistic vision. It doesnt have the perceptual categories of space and time within its mind when it first pries its eyes open. Infact the perfect being it is. What it sees is a different level of truth . However that truth is distorted as it grows.  Coming to the answers given to questions. It reflects thinking without any profundity at all. It is very convenient to accept certain explanations because the further thinking process of the Why and How can just be stopped then and there.  This comforts you and is thus convenient for you not to think beyond that point.  Human/Dog question :So ok you have humans as parents , so you are human. But who are you really ? Your name is Jones fine, but who is actually the you in you. When you walk on the road, you observe various people, you know you have embodied a particular body that is your figure/face /features etc , why couldnt you have embodied another person or an animal. Or are you completely convinced that the body that you have is actually the you. If you are you as in your body , how can you see yourself separately as a body. Here the subject and object seem to be same, but how can that be . We are the subject and whatever we see is the object, which is separate from us. Thus when you see yourself, are you seing another person or body. So this leads to the conclusion that you are not really you as your body, but someone/thing embodying your body. Consciousness questionYou are matter and are conscious,  can you build in the lab matter that is conscious. No. Scientists are completely befuddled by human consciousness and all we have are unproven theories / or beliefs. Not a single rational explanation.Consciousness cannot be explained by materialism, however all that we see or measure is in background of that cosnciousness. If you arent conscious, you cant see or measure. So entire Science is based on an aspect of our life that is yet to be categorized as matter.  if Science is true, it is thus true that there are things which arent matter, since the basis of all human observation is the undefinable consciousness.Death questionAccidental death or death due to crime is unnecessary. Take basic natural death. You have control over lot of things in life, in fact you say you can decide the purpose of your life. Fine. But can you predict the time and cause of your natural death. No. Forget death, you cant even predict when you will get up in the morning. No machine can be made which can predict when you will wake up. So many basic things are not under your control at all.  But there is causation for death , and for waking up also. Causation means intelligence and decision making. Who is the causal agent and who has the intelligence to decide when you shall wake up or when you shall die naturally.  If you say there are no causal agents and that  it is nature without intelligence, it results into complete chaos. The regularity of life , the orderliness of nature would not have been and there would have been a complete chaos if there is no causal agent which is controlling. However rationalists shall bring up that everything happens by nature on its own and has no intelligence behind it. This sounds totally bizarre in light of the extraordinary orderliness of nature, the phenomenal complexity of nature , its beings etc.The probability of all this orderliness and complexity is unbelievably high and impossible if we are to assume lack of an intelligence and beyond all logic and reason , unless one brings in an intelligence controling all this.

I am looking for Atheists to increase my belief in God

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Simple question:

It seems to me that most of the Christian believers I know either can't accept that there's not an "afterlife" where they can be reunited with loved ones who've died, or they've replaced an addiction to some substance or another with an addiction to Jesus.

One of my dearest friends is convinced that it was God's, and not his own, strength that made it possible for him to leave behind a drug addiction. It breaks my heart, actually, because how much more confident and happy would this guy be if he could give HIMSELF the credit for being strong enough to quit drugs and get back on track, rather than seeing his own huge accomplishment as an event that is less about him than it is "for the glory of God"? And wtf does that mean, exactly? Why does this God need glory? Is He that insecure?

The non-Christian believers (like my mom, who's Wiccan), appear to not "believe" in their gods so much as they do employ personal deities to help them acquire the positive attributes of that deity, or receive "blessings" in the area of life that falls under that deity's realm (Demeter for healthy pregnancies or a good harvest, Sarasvati for music & art, etc.).

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

[edit] If you're a Theist why do you believe? If you were once Theist why did you believe? [/edit]

Looking back, I guess I was never truly a Theist; I can't remember a time when I thought either God, Jesus or any of the other gods who populated the religions I indentified with over the years were "real" entities any more than Bugs Bunny was a "real" rabbit. Yet I did my best in practice to call upon these "gods" in prayer or ritual because it was just what you did in order to gain the "power" or "wisdom" of that deity as a blessing to help you toward your goal.

In short, I guess I didn't believe so much as I pretended to believe, or at least had a different definition of what "belief" entails. To me, the gods with "identities," that is the named gods, were nothing more than the sum of their attributes and legends, yet still worthy of invocation as a focal point, and to acquire and adopt those attributes for myself to help achieve some goal.

My becoming an atheist wasn't nearly as dramatic as some people's, because I never really had any faith to lose. In my case it was a simple matter of admitting that regardless of my religious identification, prayers, spells, rituals or any other "act of faith," the truth is, I've never believed that gods are real anywhere other than in a believer's imagination.

Invisible friends are for children and psychopaths.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of people don’t

A lot of people don’t seem to understand what science is (no capital needed). Anybody who claims that science knows everything doesn’t understand either. We definitely do not know everything yet and I can agree that there may be things we don’t know about yet, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t think rationally about claims with no evidence. Based on humanity’s track I believe that if it is possible to understand or measure something, we will eventually. In a nutshell: science is the study of the reality around us. Observe, think, build a theory that fits the observations, test your theory with new observations (possibly based on experimental data) and reject or modify your theory to fit with all of the observations. It is totally based on reality and not “human make believe”, that would be religion.

In response to Venkatrajan. By the way nice responses everybody. I’m going to answer the questions first, because they are fun. Sorry if they are not profound enough for you.

1. We give our own life purpose. I intend to keep learning and trying to improve myself and lead by example to help others to lead better lives. Does it make someone feel better for having a crap life if they believe that God is doing it to them on purpose?

2. I was inanimate matter and I will be again. If I was inanimate now I would not be typing this.

3. Silly question and HJ did well. Is it different if God decided I was to be human? I don’t think it would make any difference.

4. Time or space. Don’t know but there are some good theories based on real evidence. If the universe is so amazing, it is silly to suggest that an even more amazing being (God) existed all along.

5. We grow as all living things grow. As standard theory works really well there is no need to think that there is an outside influence.

6. I think you have bad grammar in this question. You can see the evolution of more complex consciousness by studying animal behaviour.

7. Weird question. Does it make you feel better to think that God purposefully decides when you will die?

8. Don’t know the answer to this question, but statistically I doubt it. What has it got to do with religion?

I don’t know where to start with the amazingly flawed logic of your next post V. So you say that it is irrational to believe in something just because we have no evidence? Look up Russell’s Teapot or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. According to that logic we should believe in everything!

Causation does not mean intelligence. If you put a ball on a slope it rolls downhill. Nuff said, I gotta go to dinner.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Simple question:

just for laughs, i'll explain why my ex-wife "believes". when her and i were dating, and all my friends and i were atheists, so was she. later, when she set her sights on a gullible law student(whose potential income better suited her desired lifestyle) she suddenly became a devout catholic, like him and his family. her personal belief fallis in line with whatever the belief of her target social circle. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Simple question:

Assuming you're asking why people believe in either gods or their prescripted religion, I'd speculate that it's mostly a product of social conditioning within their family and/or community.

Remember, people don't tend to condition their kids with logic or fact.  They tempt them with reward and punishment.   If you're really really good, Santa Claus will bring you toys.  

When you're little, Church might only make sense from the same perspective. If I'm good and sit through this service without causing trouble, I get to raid the hall afterward for cookies or donuts or something.   

All these things make sense to a little kid, because their views of the world have been mostly shaped by their parents at this point.  They figure there's something to this behavior reward mechanism, and their parents also tell them it's also part of life.  If you're really good, you'll cheat death and live with your dead relatives.  If you're not, you could go to hell and live with Hitler.

So far your family's  advise has landed you toys and cookies, why doubt the other one?    If the church is lucky, this person never asks more questions.  They see behind the santa claus and easter bunny curtains, but assume there still must be something behind the god curtain and continue their lives without giving it much thought. 

RationalDeist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Of

BobSpence1 wrote:

Of course people are going to continue to do that. But we know that some people have responded to our arguments to help them get over religion, of course usually only those already wrestling with doubts, as their rational faculties allow them to start seeing all the logical difficulties and inconsistencies in the doctrines.

My point was that you denied you are 'assuming' the existence of God. But belief without evidence really requires just that. Using words like 'belief' or 'faith' may make it sound more respectable, but doesn't change the fact.

If you 'decide' (your word) to believe something, or at least act as though it is true, with inadequate or no evidence for it, is effectively is meant by 'assuming' it is true. It is not necessarily a bad thing at all, we often have to act on inadequate information, so you shouldn't feel any need to deny it, unless you don't like the implications or connotations of the term.

What i was trying to get across, but couldn't articulate until now, is that I have thought that there might not be a God (stopped assuming there was a God), but decided that I did not like that thought, and then again began assuming there was one.  You are right that "assuming" is the right word, it just wasn't getting across everything I wanted it to.