Who has the burden of proof?

william_374
william_374's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who has the burden of proof?

If we were to discover a fully automated factory of some kind on the Moon or Mars, we would have to assume it is the product of design, at least until we could satisfactorily show that it is not.

This situation "defaults" to a designer, and the burden of proof resides on those who champion an alternate, much more complicated explanation. The existence of the designer *is* an explanation, in fact it is the simplest one. And please, no "who created the designer" questions, IF he is necessary, then he DOES exist, and he has the property of having always existed.

And even if you can show that life does not require a designer, you still need something at a very fundamental level to have "always existed". The fact that the Big Bang occurred means there was something before the Big Bang. If there was absolutely nothing before the Big Bang, there would be absolutely nothing right now. The universe needs an uncaused cause, the only question is whether this "uncaused cause" has intelligence or not.

Let's make one small thing clear though: none of the revealed religions are correct. If you spend any time researching the origin of the so-called sacred texts, you see that the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), the New Testament and the Koran were all written by MEN. They are *not* the "Word of God".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2061773048178434620

So who's actually making the more extraordinary claim here, the idea that something that looks designed WAS designed, or the idea that life gives the astounding illusion that it was designed, but that in fact it was not. The second claim requires EXTENSIVE demonstration to be valid. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

So, as of 2007, what is the pathway, starting from rocks and water, that leads to the LUCA?

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: A very

Edison Trent wrote:

A very inspiring story of atheism. He has an excellent point, you have one life and one life only, and then as an atheist your one life is all you've got, so you'd better not waste it. The way I see it as a Christian is this - sure, being in heaven with God would be good. But if God wanted you in heaven with Him, he woulnd't have created this earth, he would have just made us all in heaven. But that's not the way he wants it - he wants us to live fulfilled lives, helping others, making sacrifices, and above all living for him. Either way, suicide is a waste of a precious life - we all can do great things in this world, whether they be seen or unseen.

See this is what i dont' get about your god. He created you to live in this world in order to suffer basically. Then after a blink of a eye (compared to how long you will be in heaven) you are with him eternally. This makes no sense, why not just skip the entire testing you nonsense and just give let you live in heaven with him? 

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: See this is what i

Quote:

See this is what i dont' get about your god. He created you to live in this world in order to suffer basically. Then after a blink of a eye (compared to how long you will be in heaven) you are with him eternally. This makes no sense, why not just skip the entire testing you nonsense and just give let you live in heaven with him?

I guess that life is some kind of test then.  Yes we suffer pain and loss, but the ends justify the means.  Perhaps God wanted to see who would be loyal to Him, I don't know completely why.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: I

Edison Trent wrote:

I guess that life is some kind of test then. Yes we suffer pain and loss, but the ends justify the means. Perhaps God wanted to see who would be loyal to Him, I don't know completely why.

But since he's omnimax shouldn't he know who would be? He set up all the conditions for everything including free will so this test is just him having fun watching us suffer. 

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But since he's

Quote:

But since he's omnimax shouldn't he know who would be? He set up all the conditions for everything including free will so this test is just him having fun watching us suffer.

Perhaps.  I tend to avoid the free will vs. predestination argument, but I have heard some good opinions on it.  However, this still does not account for the fact that God apparently knows everything.  I'll have to think about this one for a while, good point.

Steven
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Well Edison, it appears

Well Edison, it appears for some reason or another you could not stand to have this person walk out of your life, so you conformed to what they wanted.

Quote:
I came to realize that everything has a purpose, that life isn't random pointlessness, and that there is a God.

I hear this argument quite often from people I have spoken to.  As much as it may be hard for you to believe, it is random pointlessness.

If you saw a car plow into a barrier on the side of the highway, and the driver got out and walked away unharmed,  would you attribute this to God's work? 

Do you have any idea how many vehicles are on the various roads throughout the world, and how many of those vehicles get into accidents each year?  Now what are the chances that in one of those accidents, someone randomly, pointlessly gets lucky and walks away?  What about those that are not lucky enough to walk away?  When people feel uncomfortable about randomness, they default to "God did it".  Doing such is being very dishonest to yourself.

God did not stop your girlfriend from killing herself, she did.  Saying that God somehow managed to stop her from suicide is saying that she has a higher value than an unimaginable amount of people that have lived or are living on this planet.  Do you not see how vain that is? 

Quote:
Indeed, this person exists.  I care very much about them and am concerned about some of the ways they handle things, but I am trying to work it out.

I hope for her sake you are not just praying for this to go away, because bud let me tell you, it will not.  There will be another event that will spark the fire again.  Your girlfriend seems very troubled, and should be talking to someone.  Mental health professionals can do alot to help her work through it.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Steven wrote: I hear this

Steven wrote:
I hear this argument quite often from people I have spoken to.  As much as it may be hard for you to believe, it is random pointlessness. 

If you saw a car plow into a barrier on the side of the highway, and the driver got out and walked away unharmed,  would you attribute this to God's work?

I have to quibble with this, not that I disagree, but I'd like to propose some qualification. The events we observe do seem better explained by causality, and there is certainly no indication that they are directed by an anthropomorphic agency. If our lives were neutral propositions, I would agree with theists that, without an external agency to validate our actions, life wouldn't just be undirected, but indeed pointless. There is, however, nothing neutral about our lives. Every action confesses some innate human priority; some desire to improve, contradict, transcend, some observable quality of our existences. Even denying that would be committing a stolen concept fallacy, because wanting to deny it would be an act dependent on a human perspective. We are, inescapably, ourselves through and through.

Edison Trent
Theist
Edison Trent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Steven wrote: I hear this

Steven wrote:

Then I guess we can't know anything for sure either, if all our thoughts are random pointlessness...

Quote:

I hope for her sake you are not just praying for this to go away, because bud let me tell you, it will not.  There will be another event that will spark the fire again.  Your girlfriend seems very troubled, and should be talking to someone.  Mental health professionals can do alot to help her work through it.

I'm not just praying, I'm working on it.  She has gone through alot in life, but things are starting to look up. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
So who's actually making the more extraordinary claim here, the idea that something that looks designed WAS designed, or the idea that life gives the astounding illusion that it was designed, but that in fact it was not. The second claim requires EXTENSIVE demonstration to be valid. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Has anybody else noticed that this whole thread doesn't really address the question posed? It's worth taking a look at the question. After all, if the question isn't valid, we can talk for weeks and never arrive at any truth.

Givens:

1) Life exists.

2) Life began.

Ok. Now, we have the problem of figuring out what else we can say. There are two ways of going about this. One, we call science. In science, we just deal with what we know. So, the scientist's claim goes something like this:

"We don't know, but we've done decades of experiments, and have learned so much about RNA, that we think it's quite possible that self replicating pre-RNA could have formed on earth around the time all the evidence suggests. Here are several thousand pages of documented research, if you'd like to know more.

The theist's claim works exactly the opposite way:

"We don't know, so God created it. Believe it or burn in hell."

This OP is not about burden of proof, though the poster believes it is. Burden of proof is not something that changes based on the plausibility of the concept in question. That's really important. Read it again. Burden of proof is not something that changes based on the plausibility of the concept in question. Every claim, no matter how probable or improbable, requires proof. Every single claim ever. So, to answer the question, who has the burden of proof.... EVERYBODY.

Scientists have the burden of proof to demonstrate that their theory of abiogenesis is correct.

Theists have the burden of proof to demonstrate that their theory (sic!) of creationism is correct.

To date, there are university libraries all over the world, full to the brim with supporting evidence for different theories of abiogenesis. Also, to date, there is not a single coherent definition of god ON THE PLANET.

So, who has the burden of proof? Anybody who makes a claim. What do you do when your claim doesn't have enough evidence for proof?  If you're a scientist, you look for more evidence.

If you're a theist, you just yell louder.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Edison Trent wrote: The

Edison Trent wrote:

The person felt that God was speaking to them, I'm not exactly sure, perhaps in their mind.

Perhaps they need medical attention? Hopefully, they are currently getting it.

-Triften 

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
No matter what the

No matter what the situation,the burden of proof is always on the person making or holding a claim.