Was the Earth made for humans?

letitworknow
Bronze Member
letitworknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Was the Earth made for humans?

The question of the Earths creation and the likely hood of it being made for us is something that most creationist love to give as "proof" of gods existence. lets look at the facts and come to our own conclusion.

70% of the planet is covered by water. That seems fine, humans need water to live. but out of all that water 97% of it is unusable to man. In fact out of the 3% of water that is usable to man, 1% of it is stored in glacial ice and 1% of it is underground. so out of the 70% of the Earths surface only 1% is usable to humans, the rest of it will kill us.

30% of the earth is compatible with humans... or is it? now Just speaking about land 10% of it is covered with ice and 33% of it is desert. Yes i know people can live in the desert and even on ice in short durations (ex. people live in Alaska but not Antarctica). That leaves only 11% of the earths surface capable of growing food which in turn means compatible with human life. but lets remember the beginning of this post "god" made the Earth just for man. if that was true why isn't the earth 70 degrees and sunny all the time? he can do anything he wants right?

god?... umm you f'd up

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
And why do the tectonic

And why do the tectonic plates do that nasty thing where they make earthquakes all the time?  Even worse, they tend to do it in the best places to live!  (California comes to mind.)

And, if god is so damn smart, why'd he make it so that all the fuel we found fucks up our atmosphere and makes us sick?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
letitworknow wrote:The

letitworknow wrote:

The question of the Earths creation and the likely hood of it being made for us is something that most creationist love to give as "proof" of gods existence. lets look at the facts and come to our own conclusion.

70% of the planet is covered by water. That seems fine, humans need water to live. but out of all that water 97% of it is unusable to man. In fact out of the 3% of water that is usable to man, 1% of it is stored in glacial ice and 1% of it is underground. so out of the 70% of the Earths surface only 1% is usable to humans, the rest of it will kill us.

30% of the earth is compatible with humans... or is it? now Just speaking about land 10% of it is covered with ice and 33% of it is desert. Yes i know people can live in the desert and even on ice in short durations (ex. people live in Alaska but not Antarctica). That leaves only 11% of the earths surface capable of growing food which in turn means compatible with human life. but lets remember the beginning of this post "god" made the Earth just for man. if that was true why isn't the earth 70 degrees and sunny all the time? he can do anything he wants right?

god?... umm you f'd up

Exactly!  And let's branch out a little more to our entire solar system.  Can we live on the sun?  Mercury?  Mars? Jupiter? etc., etc.the moons...any of the moons in our solar system?  Can we live on any comets, astroids, space between objects?  If the entire universe has been created for humanity then why is 99.999999999% uninhabitable to humans without advanced technology for almost all of it?

If I was god I would have put at LEAST two fully inhabitable planets for my precious humans in every solar system.  Odds of the human race surviving are greatly increased doing that.  Imagine Mars being just as perfect for Earth life but life never came into being there.  Wow, jackpot!

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: And why

Hambydammit wrote:

And why do the tectonic plates do that nasty thing where they make earthquakes all the time? Even worse, they tend to do it in the best places to live! (California comes to mind.)

And, if god is so damn smart, why'd he make it so that all the fuel we found fucks up our atmosphere and makes us sick?

That's Satan and all our dead relatives down there trying to get out. ( http://www.amightywind.com/hell/aboutsounds.htm )Those places might look like nice places to live but they are full of sin.

God did that to make us suffer because it takes knowing the full anger of God to know his love.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: That's Satan and

Quote:

That's Satan and all our dead relatives down there trying to get out. ( http://www.amightywind.com/hell/aboutsounds.htm )Those places might look like nice places to live but they are full of sin.

God did that to make us suffer because it takes knowing the full anger of God to know his love.

You'd make a good Christian

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
God actually made Earth for

God actually made Earth for passenger pigeons.  He intended on moving us and the pigeons after the first great war, but we killed them all.  So, He said, "Fuck 'em."  Here we are today.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought it was the

I thought it was the housefly?  That Clemens guy was pretty smart.  I think it was the housefly.

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I thought it was the housefly?  That Clemens guy was pretty smart.  I think it was the housefly.

I suppose he was when compared with most southerners.  When brought to the north, you end up with books like "Letters from Earth."  It is a fine book if you're a misanthrope, but you know I love people far too much to agree with his stance there. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It is a fine book if

Quote:
It is a fine book if you're a misanthrope, but you know I love people far too much to agree with his stance there.

I somehow managed to spit beer through my eyeballs.  Really.

Books about atheism

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I

Hambydammit wrote:

I somehow managed to spit beer through my eyeballs.  Really.

My work here is done.  Please feel free to call on me for any more of your Hambydammit eyeball-sinus clearing needs.

letitworknow
Bronze Member
letitworknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah i thought about using

Yeah i thought about using the natural disaster angle but i figure the nut jobs would just blow it off by saying it is all part of gods wrath,  i guess they can use that for any negative about there peaceful loving non-vengeful god.   can i hear from a theist?   i really would like to hear what they have to say about this subject.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answer to the title

The answer to the title question is just plain no.

It's a presupposition which collapses fine-tuning arguments like a house of cards. 

The anthropic principle is that the percentage of earth that doesn't directly support conscious life, supports existence of the remaining percentage of earth that does directly support conscious life, but just as equally, conscious life can, in ideal, support the existence of the rest of the earth through balancing actions. It's an interedependent system, but human consciousness is not an "ultimate priority" by any estimation. The universe corrollaries itself, not anthropocentricity. Aspects of the system that fall out of balance tend to disappear one way or another. Humans are as vulnerable as any aspect of the system to be afflicted by imbalance in the most likely suppositional "gearing" of the earth's motivating functions (holism). 

Now as for God and the creationist argument that God created earth for man that is false by direct contradiction in Genesis 9 where all living things are declared gods interest. The argument cannot even be soundly made, for anthropocentric fine-tuning, without in turn being summarily torn down on its own basis.

Both barrels eat creationism up with room for seconds. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:  The

Eloise wrote:

The anthropic principle is that the percentage of earth that doesn't directly support conscious life, supports existence of the remaining percentage of earth that does directly support conscious life

I was just wondering, wouldn't this indicate an extremely inefficient or inept God?  Why did god need to create extra bits like that, when he could have just created it all capable of supporting conscious life.

Regardless, as has already been pointed out, it's not just hostile environments on the earth that point away from any fine tuning arguments, it's most of the volume of the earth too, we can only live close to the surface, and we even struggle to make it to the highest points without such things as extreme cold and altitude sickness.

Even in the places on the surface of earth that ARE hospitable to us, they haven't always been, for most of the time since the beginning of the universe, earth hasn't even existed, it's early days were far too chaotic for us to live, even after that we'd have been unlikely to make it through mass extinction events.

Then you start considering what other planets we've seen look like.  Also not much good for us at the moment. 

THEN you consider that even all these locations supposedly within god's creation are blatantly indifferent to us, they represent only a ludicrously small fraction of the volume of the universe, most of which is just cold empty space, yet another environment we don't fare too well in.

No the earth isn't made for us.  Nor is it out to get us. It and the rest of the universe is simply indifferent.  Thanks to the vastness of the universe and it's lengthy time in existance it just so happened that in at least one place and at at least one time there were favourable conditions for us to evolve.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote: Even in the

phooney wrote:

Even in the places on the surface of earth that ARE hospitable to us, they haven't always been, for most of the time since the beginning of the universe, earth hasn't even existed, it's early days were far too chaotic for us to live, even after that we'd have been unlikely to make it through mass extinction events.

Dude, while I personally agree with you on this, think what a YEC would say/think.  "God created all the universe around 6,000 years ago."  They would also say/think, "There was only one mass extinction event, Noah's flood, and the bible tells us how humanity made it through that."

So while you are completely correct on what you said, those deluded fools would toss that paragraph out as meaningless.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
phooney wrote:

phooney wrote:
Eloise wrote:

The anthropic principle is that the percentage of earth that doesn't directly support conscious life, supports existence of the remaining percentage of earth that does directly support conscious life

I was just wondering, wouldn't this indicate an extremely inefficient or inept God? Why did god need to create extra bits like that, when he could have just created it all capable of supporting conscious life.

It could, or otherwise a capricious god indifferent to grabs for physical dominance.

But, however the case would or would not be with a God being, the anthropic principle is a scientific muse, creationism would love to lash it to their worldview and drag it around as proof of some absurd presupposition, but the fact it it doesn't support a world view. It's really posed as a question not a theory. 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, the world was built

Yep, the world was built for humans and more specifically for me. Thousands of years of effort leading to the creation of me. I mean, why else would everything exist except to please me? It is obvious that I am god's favorite.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Yep,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yep, the world was built for humans and more specifically for me. Thousands of years of effort leading to the creation of me. I mean, why else would everything exist except to please me? It is obvious that I am god's favorite.

Nope.  All this shit is for me.  God just made you so I could talk to you on the internet a few times.  Other than that you have no meaning.  God told me.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well at least my life still

Well at least my life still has a little meaning even if deep down it is only a bunch of ones and zeros. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I love this game! I

Oh, I love this game! Smiling

I say god made it for the beetles because there are 250,000 to 300,000 species of them.  Or maybe he made it for the dinosaurs because they ruled the earth far, far, FAR longer than we've even been in existence. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
i say the earth was made for

i say the earth was made for me because i'm pretty fuckin awesome

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
It sure seems to be made to

It sure seems to be made to favor AIDS and Cancer.   And the universe was made for blackholes.   What a sonofabitch that god is.

letitworknow
Bronze Member
letitworknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
HAHAHAHAHAH,  YOu stupid

HAHAHAHAHAH,  YOu stupid bastards,  god made the world for me.  He did this so i could disprove that he existed.  don't you see you have to believe with out any proof so if i disprove then he exisists but if i can prove then he does not exist.  or.... uhhh... yeah...GOD IS GREAT FUCK YOU ALL!!