The Importance of Religion

Speck
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Importance of Religion

I wanted to discuss the importance of religion. This isn't a debate on God's existence, or any god's existence, but rather his impact. As far as I can tell, the RSS's main goal isn't a bad one at all, it can even be seen as commendable to an extent. But I think the idea that the world would be better off without religion is a little flawed.

First, it's important to note that not all bad things come from religion...in fact, a majority of recent corruption and danger in the world is due to the desire for money, power, sex, drugs, nature etc. Let's take a short look at this:

1) Disease. This isn't divine wrath, or even man made. It's natural, and it will constantly be a bad thing for all human kind. In a world full of atheists...disease would still be just as deadly.

2) Dangerous Organizations - Like gangs or the mafia...these have no relation to religion. They're entirely for the point of gaining money and power. In fact, most members aren't religous...not truly, since religion if truly followed can prevent these things in most cases save for a few extreme once. However, in a world full of atheists, these people would still exist (gangs and such I mean). Drive by shootings, gang fights, theft, etc.

3) Drugs - Drugs cause so much hurt in the world, like weed and cocaine. People sometimes are even willing to kill over them...religion, once again, plays no part in this harmful aspect of the world.

4) Animal attacks - No joke, this can be a problem. And it's natural. It has nothing to do with God or religion...in a world of atheists...it'd still be an issue. Which also brings us to Natural Disasters...once again, still an issue.

5) Terrorists - Don't blame the muslims, terrorism isn't just a religous fanatic's game. It can, has, and will continue to be used to get ideas out in the world in a forceful way. If someone doesn't like something, they may choose to go to the extreme to go against it. Terrorism would still exist even in an atheist's world, it just wouldn't exist in the form of religion.

6) Racism - I'm mixed, and a strong christian...let me tell you, there's nothing in the bible supporting racism. Most racism has a Christian defense be it silly, or totally ridiculous - but when faced with the truth about it, most racists cling to the racist belief non the less. It's the people's choice, if they couldn't use religion, they'd use another excuse.

This is only touching the tip of the iceberg...but let's go on...

Religion is actually very helpful. It's helped many, and though it was not exactly 100% needed, it has made very positive impacts in the world.

First, we can't ignore the many good deeds done under the guise of religion, christianity in particular. Mother Teresa, for example. She helped so many people, and suffered for it. she lived such a simple life because she thought it was better that way, so she could help others - she was a devout catholic.

Nora Lam escaped from communist China thanks to her belief. It kept her going. Once when she couldn't find food for her baby, and underground religous sect smuggled her some dry milk, and continued to do so until they were eventually found and shut down I believe.

Prisoners on death row are often scared to death to die, and atheism certainly offers no comfort. And be it folly or truth, it'd be cruel to deny them some sort of comfort. Religion often is that comfort. I'm not saying for comfort we should believe, I'm just saying, that in an atheistic world, I think certain individuals might not find it too ideal.

The crusades, this is important, were an amazingly profitable time. The crusades are actually a good thing, as well as a bad thing...a bitter sweet situation I guess you could say. They played a major role in the renaissance and exposing the Western world to the Eastern. It lead to trade between the Arabs and the Europeans. It exposed europe to all the goods Asia had to offer.

"The crusades lead to the exchange of ideas between the East and the West. When the people came back from the crusades they had a lot of art and literature from the east. These people then wanted to learn more and educate themselves. This lead to the creating of universities. More people went and learned, more people grew thoughts about the way things worked. This lead to more exchange of ideas and more people experimented, learned, wrote, discussed, philosified and such. This is what lead to the renaissance and pulled europe out of the Dark Ages. Also because of The Crusades and the West being exposed to the East, ideas and goods were exchnaged and it changed Euraisa and the world forever."

People have fed the hungry and helped the victims of Katrina in the name of God and Christianity...another positive impact...

The list goes on and on...but I've written enough. I'll continue if I must...

In closing, I believe that RRS's goals may be noble, but misguided. So I ask you, is the total absense of religion truly a good thing? If we look at the positive impact of religion, we can see the answer is clear. Though no one is obligated to believe in any one thing, and while certain religions can be dangerous, many religions to have a positive impact on the world...no...ridding the world of religion would be like ridding it of trees...it's just a neccissary(sp?) componet for human life, and civilized existence.

God bless.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, Speck.

First off, my following critique is my opinion only.  I cannot speak for any others on the forum.

I don't think religion is to blame for ALL the negative things that happen in the world.  Shit happens, as the saying goes, and sometimes we can't do anything about it.  I'll agree with you that religion has nothing to do with animal attacks.  I know there are non-theist terrorist groups out there; though I will certainly continue to blame those who decided to blow up a few buildings in my pretty city.

Religion is still dangerous.  It still breeds negativity.  Religion is also about power and control.  Many Christians can't see this because they are the ones in control.  They are the marjority. 

I'm not going to get into the bible or anything like that as it is not my strong point.  I'll focus on what I know best.

You are entitled to you beliefs.  I think you have a right to have your belief.  I also think that I have a right not to share them.  The problem with religion is that is that it attempts to force it's beliefs on other people.  It also interferes with other people's rights.  Take abortion or stem cell research, for example.  Or even abstinence only education. That's dangerous because it misinforms people. 

The biggest problem I have with religion is that I do think it creates bigotry.  Atheists are absolutely despised.  Why?  Because we don't share your belief in god.  From a Christian standpoint, anyone who isn't Christian is inferior.  In Judaism, the Jews are the chosen people.  And we all know what happens to unbelievers in the Muslim religion. 

Another form bigotry is that homosexuals are denied equal marriage rights because it is considered a sin in the bible.  Well, what if someone disagrees with your bible?  Why should they have to abide by your beliefs? 

As for the whole comfort thing, death is a scary thing.  I would find it rather silly to knowingly delude myself into believing something that isn't true merely because it offers comfort.

Atheism is not this cold state of mind, as so many people think.  We are not depressed individuals, nor are we maniacal murderers.  I am simply a very happy, satisfied person who lacks a faith in your god or any other god. 

Ok, I apologize if this doesn't make sense.  I was typing quick!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have a very skewed

You have a very skewed version of what religion is. Anything that can/is done by religious organizations can be done by non-religious organizations. Programs like AA do not work simply because addiction is stronger than faith.

Disease isn't stopped by religion, but by scientists and doctors. 

Religions are dangerous organizations.

Drugs aren't stopped by religions, but by police.

Animal attacks aren't stopped by religions, but by people who don't go near crazy animals.

Terrorists aren't stopped by religions, but are fueled by it.

Racism isn't stopped by religions, but by people who want equality. 

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote:

Speck wrote:
Religion is actually very helpful. It's helped many, and though it was not exactly 100% needed, it has made very positive impacts in the world.

First, we can't ignore the many good deeds done under the guise of religion, christianity in particular. Mother Teresa, for example. She helped so many people, and suffered for it. she lived such a simple life because she thought it was better that way, so she could help others - she was a devout catholic.

If you can't ignore the many good deeds done under the guise of religion you also can't ignore the many bad things done as well. The inquisition, the witch trials, the intelligent design movement, etc. Religion has hurt at least as much as it has helped.

Speck wrote:
Nora Lam escaped from communist China thanks to her belief. It kept her going. Once when she couldn't find food for her baby, and underground religous sect smuggled her some dry milk, and continued to do so until they were eventually found and shut down I believe.

Are you saying that if Nora Lam had been an atheist she would have given up, left her baby to starve, and simply allowed herself to die? I find that difficult to believe. Can you support such an argument?

Speck wrote:
Prisoners on death row are often scared to death to die, and atheism certainly offers no comfort. And be it folly or truth, it'd be cruel to deny them some sort of comfort. Religion often is that comfort. I'm not saying for comfort we should believe, I'm just saying, that in an atheistic world, I think certain individuals might not find it too ideal.

So the belief that you're going to go to hell is more comforting than the belief that there is nothing after death?

Speck wrote:
The crusades, this is important, were an amazingly profitable time. The crusades are actually a good thing, as well as a bad thing...a bitter sweet situation I guess you could say. They played a major role in the renaissance and exposing the Western world to the Eastern. It lead to trade between the Arabs and the Europeans. It exposed europe to all the goods Asia had to offer.

Yes, because "exposing europe to all the good Asia had to offer" is necessarily a good thing. Aside from the serious euro-centric viewpoint, again the fact remains that all of these things could have (and most likely would have) in the absence of religion. Can you support the claim that religion was required for these events?

Speck wrote:
"The crusades lead to the exchange of ideas between the East and the West. When the people came back from the crusades they had a lot of art and literature from the east. These people then wanted to learn more and educate themselves. This lead to the creating of universities. More people went and learned, more people grew thoughts about the way things worked. This lead to more exchange of ideas and more people experimented, learned, wrote, discussed, philosified and such. This is what lead to the renaissance and pulled europe out of the Dark Ages. Also because of The Crusades and the West being exposed to the East, ideas and goods were exchnaged and it changed Euraisa and the world forever."

This quote seems to support the idea that it was the spirit of exploration and the curiosity that fueled the connection between the two continents, and not religion at all.

Speck wrote:
People have fed the hungry and helped the victims of Katrina in the name of God and Christianity...another positive impact...

People have also done these things not in the name of God or Christianity. What's your point?

Speck wrote:
In closing, I believe that RRS's goals may be noble, but misguided. So I ask you, is the total absense of religion truly a good thing? If we look at the positive impact of religion, we can see the answer is clear. Though no one is obligated to believe in any one thing, and while certain religions can be dangerous, many religions to have a positive impact on the world...no...ridding the world of religion would be like ridding it of trees...it's just a neccissary(sp?) componet for human life, and civilized existence.

Religion is hardly as necessary as trees. Trees (extending this definiton to plants in general) are required for human survival. Religion is clearly not necessary, as evidenced by the large number of atheists who clearly survive, adn the growing number of societies with larger percentages of atheist populations, most of which are doing just fine.

If religion isn't necessary, your secondary claim is that is has some benefit, but I still fail to see how you support the claim that religion does anything that could not be accomplished without it.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: First, it's

Quote:
First, it's important to note that not all bad things come from religion...

None of us have ever said this.

Quote:
in fact, a majority of recent corruption and danger in the world is due to the desire for money, power, sex, drugs, nature etc. Let's take a short look at this:

It takes a religious viewpoint to think that desire for any of these things is inherently bad.   That's one of the reasons we want to end religion.  Money, power, sex, drugs, and nature are all natural parts of the human experience, and we'd like for people to judge their desires based on real cause and effect, not on fear of some boogity-boo in the sky who made it all mysterious and unknowable.

Quote:
1) Disease. This isn't divine wrath, or even man made. It's natural, and it will constantly be a bad thing for all human kind. In a world full of atheists...disease would still be just as deadly.

What does this have to do with ending religion?  You seem to be hung up on the idea that we think ending religion will end all problems.  How incredibly naive of you.

Quote:
2) Dangerous Organizations - Like gangs or the mafia...these have no relation to religion.

First, don't be so sure of this.  Some do.  Nevertheless, what you're talking about is an aspect of human sociology.  There are real-world answers to solving the problems of gangs and organized crime.  Oddly enough, the countries with the least crime all tend to be secular!  Bet you didn't know that, did you?

Quote:
3) Drugs - Drugs cause so much hurt in the world, like weed and cocaine. People sometimes are even willing to kill over them...religion, once again, plays no part in this harmful aspect of the world.

Some drugs cause much harm, and some cause much good.  And sometimes, it's the same drug.  Yet again, you're equating sociology with natural things.  This whole argument doesn't have anything to do with what's good or bad about religion, but I'm still reading.  Maybe you'll pull an actual argument out of it.

Quote:
4) Animal attacks - No joke, this can be a problem. And it's natural. It has nothing to do with God or religion...in a world of atheists...it'd still be an issue. Which also brings us to Natural Disasters...once again, still an issue.

Well, you get the "No Shit, Sherlock" award.

Let me put this in big letters for you.

WE'VE NEVER SAID ENDING RELIGION WOULD END ALL PROBLEMS! 

Look, I'm going to skip over 5 and 6.  It's the same thing.  These are social problems that have always existed, in both religious and non-religious societies.  This has nothing to do with why we want to end religion.  Nothing.

Quote:
First, we can't ignore the many good deeds done under the guise of religion, christianity in particular. Mother Teresa, for example.

You don't know anything about Mother Teresa.  Nothing.  You should read THIS BOOK.

Quote:
The crusades are actually a good thing, as well as a bad thing...

You say it, but you miss the clear implication!  Everything you've talked about so far has nothing to do with why we want to end religion.  You seem to be under the impression that we feel like people only do bad things because of religion.  It takes the kind of black and white mentality that only theists have to form this kind of opinion.

Instead of pontificating so much, why don't you just ask us why we want to end religion?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Break down your arguments

Break down your arguments and clear out some of the clutter of examples, Speck, and I think you'll find that they don't hold up:

Argument 1: religion isn't responsible for all bad things; some bad things that happen do not result from religion. Therefore religion is a good thing 

Argument 2: religion has helped people; some good things have come from religion. Therefore religion is a good thing. 

I believe argument 1 is an example of denying the antecedent.  I'm sure that argument 2 is an error of composition.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really don't care if

I really don't care if religion exists, it is faith I have a problem with. Faith - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or evidence. If you have proof for your beliefs, present it. Otherwise you in the same boat as someone who kills for faith (as far as I'm concerned).

[Edit: So far I've never seen a religion that exists without faith.]

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Speck
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Welcome

pariahjane wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Speck.

Thank ya'. = )

pariahjane wrote:
Religion is still dangerous. It still breeds negativity. Religion is also about power and control. Many Christians can't see this because they are the ones in control. They are the majority.

Not all religion is about power and control, especially not christianity. In fact, it's about relinquishing control to a higher power, I believe that even many sects of Paganism desire the same thing. To become at peace with yourself, and the things around you, is the first and foremost desire of religous people. Many christians say to "let God take the wheel" - in short, just follow his teachings, and you'll be fine. A type of control, yes, but certainly not a negative one. Furthermore, religion can be dangerous in the minds of the wrong people...but in the minds of the right people, it can help as well, that's a personal matter more so than theological. Also, if religious followers like Christians, actually followed the bible as they should, there's virtually no negativity. The bible teaches love and even tolerance - but it also teaches truth telling...and since to these people, that is the truth, it's in kindness a christian preaches to someone...not in cruelty. (not all christians do this, some are misguided, but the true christian follows the bible...these follow their heart.) It's wanting someone to go to heaven, not wanting to yell at them and say they're going to hell. It's the difference in offering a cure for aids (from their point of view) and laughing at someone with the illness. = P

pariahjane wrote:
The problem with religion is that is that it attempts to force it's beliefs on other people. It also interferes with other people's rights. Take abortion or stem cell research, for example. Or even abstinence only education. That's dangerous because it misinforms people.

This isn't totally true. While Christians are called by God to witness to others, it says nothing about forceful conversion. Certainly, people who are misinformed and misunderstand can take it the wrong way...but in truth, Christians simply wish to tell everyone they can, the "good news" if they'll at least hear it. That is all we're called to do. Furthermore, we are also exercising our own right of freedom of the practice of religion and freedom of speech. I think Christians, as well as any other religion, is well within their bounds...truthfully...(and this is straying a little)...I'd be flattered to have someone witness to me, even if I didn't believe what they did, they obviously are trying to do what they honestly think, is helping me.

Abortion...on that matter. I do believe it's murder - not because of my religion, but because of my humanity. A child is scientifically considered "alive" upon conception, but this is politically overlooked, and even denied politically. The argument is, "Is the fact that the mother has the living person inside of them, reason enough to claim it as property and nothing more?" Furthermore, abortion, I believe, restricts the parents...or at least the father. He has no choice in the matter...I think at the very least, both parents should have to agree. Either way, my point is, that religous reasoning isn't the only thing keeping the debate over that.

I'm christian, and I'm totally for stem cell research. As long as abortion is legal and does exist, there might as well be benifits, and furthermore, it's no longer a true issue, since stem cells can be gained in other ways now, other than aborted fetuses.

I've never heard of abstinence-only education...but it is just as logical as saying use condoms. It's just another way to be a little safer...not 100%, but a little. I believe people should hear all aspects of "safe sex", and so far that's what I've seen them being taught.

pariahjane wrote:
The biggest problem I have with religion is that I do think it creates bigotry. Atheists are absolutely despised. Why? Because we don't share your belief in god. From a Christian standpoint, anyone who isn't Christian is inferior.

I have several atheist friends, and I've even considered dating an atheist once. Most christians...true, bible following christians, despise atheism, not atheists(hate the sin not the sinner)... We also believe that we are all equal, the bible teaches equality...here's a verse supporting that statement. (This is strictly to point out christian view points)

Romans 12:3 - For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment...

pariahjane wrote:
Another form bigotry is that homosexuals are denied equal marriage rights because it is considered a sin in the bible. Well, what if someone disagrees with your bible? Why should they have to abide by your beliefs?

This is simply a matter of democracy. To dispise this, is to dispise our rights. We have a right to change things according to our opinions - if more people in one state would be happier with gay marriage, they'll vote for it, and get it, if not, they won't, and it'll be banned.

Furthermore there are logical reasons to be agaisnt the whole, legal gay marriage thing. Firstly, you really would have to change what marriage is defined as...but in truth, my point of view is, because marriage is so deeply rooted with religion (the wedding ring is a pagan symbol of reincarnation, the whole wedding dress thing is to symbolize purity, and well...the priest...haha...which is of course not always needed), it should not be legal or illegal. Seperation of church and state should prevent the government from interfering with that on either side...then you can get married under God, without the government, and if you're gay...get married how you see fit. That's my take on it.

pariahjane wrote:
As for the whole comfort thing, death is a scary thing. I would find it rather silly to knowingly delude myself into believing something that isn't true merely because it offers comfort.

Agreed.

pariahjane wrote:
Atheism is not this cold state of mind, as so many people think. We are not depressed individuals, nor are we maniacal murderers. I am simply a very happy, satisfied person who lacks a faith in your god or any other god.

I don't think atheists are depressed. lol When I went through a time of unbelief, I didn't get upset exactly...well, not for long...it was more so...how things were...and nothing more than that. Atheism is a belief like anything else...to an extent...actually, I guess it's a non belief...but I see your point. ^_^

pariahjane wrote:
Ok, I apologize if this doesn't make sense. I was typing quick!

I hear ya'. lol

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Disease isn't stopped by religion, but by scientists and doctors.

Religions are dangerous organizations.

Drugs aren't stopped by religions, but by police.

Animal attacks aren't stopped by religions, but by people who don't go near crazy animals.

Terrorists aren't stopped by religions, but are fueled by it.

Racism isn't stopped by religions, but by people who want equality.

Agreed - save for the fueled by it...I mean, that's true to an extent, but terrorist's aren't always religious fanatics. The rest, I didn't try to say were stopped by religion. I was simply pointing out that even with the absense of religion, most bad things would still occur. It was a slightly unimportant attempt to stop religion from being villanized. In short -there are much worse things to worry about, and religion isn't neccissarily what's wrong with the world, or even truly a big problem.

Fish wrote:
If you can't ignore the many good deeds done under the guise of religion you also can't ignore the many bad things done as well. The inquisition, the witch trials, the intelligent design movement, etc. Religion has hurt at least as much as it has helped.

So true. I'm not saying it hasn't hurt - but let's be honest, people will always find a reason to hurt one another, be it with or without religion. I was simply stating the good that religion has done to show it's importance and how it has impacted the world we live in today. Even the bad things religion has done (the over oppressive Catholic church) led to the founding of America, which may be very "euro-centric" if that's what you mean by that, but it is indeed a good thing from many people's perspective. Bad can lead to good, sometimes it only leads to more bad, I'm only saying that religion has impacted the world positively.

Fish wrote:
Are you saying that if Nora Lam had been an atheist she would have given up, left her baby to starve, and simply allowed herself to die? I find that difficult to believe. Can you support such an argument?

Herself to die...perhaps. Many times she'd given up but felt that God needed her for something. This is all from her autobiography of course. The baby thing...you're probably right. I'm sure no matter what, she'd defend her child 'till the end. ^_^

Fish wrote:
Yes, because "exposing europe to all the good Asia had to offer" is necessarily a good thing. Aside from the serious euro-centric viewpoint, again the fact remains that all of these things could have (and most likely would have) in the absence of religion. Can you support the claim that religion was required for these events?

I believe it's a fair veiw point if that's what it is. Not everyone will always agree on what's good and bad however. I'm not saying it was the only way, but it was one way, and thus was of importance. We actually have no way of knowing if Europeans would've ever even bothered with them otherwise.

Fish wrote:
This quote seems to support the idea that it was the spirit of exploration and the curiosity that fueled the connection between the two continents, and not religion at all.

While also showing the spark of that spirit and curiosity, which had been the crusades...the purpose for going there in the first place.

Fish wrote:
People have also done these things not in the name of God or Christianity.

Surely, but any reasoning can't be ignored. Whatever the reasoning, it must be taken as important to people getting help. Religion is one of those reasons, cutting a reason to help people away seems unwise, though this I suppose is merely opinion.

Fish wrote:
If religion isn't necessary, your secondary claim is that is has some benefit, but I still fail to see how you support the claim that religion does anything that could not be accomplished without it.

It's looking at it from the point of understanding, that many factors are included in the good and bad of the world. Religion is an important factor in much of the good that has occurred. It's spurred exploration and trade, and to say it hasn't would be incorrect. It's also important to note that we have no way of knowing what might've happened in its absense...could've turned out alright, maybe not...but that's the case with most things. (e.g. government)

Fish wrote:
I really don't care if religion exists, it is faith I have a problem with. Faith - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or evidence. If you have proof for your beliefs, present it. Otherwise you in the same boat as someone who kills for faith (as far as I'm concerned).

[Edit: So far I've never seen a religion that exists without faith.]

I'm not debating it's truth, but it's importance. However, there is logic behind it. But there's other places for that debate I'm sure. (true, faith does play a role in most religions...but it also plays a role in atheism when you think about it. Faith is part of anything we cannot be 100% sure of.)

"Hambydammit" though I see where you may have GREATLY, misunderstood me...I feel your reply was much too juvenile to even bother responding. lol Thanks for your input though. = )

Hope I got all of your questions, if I missed one...it's probably because I've been writing this for a really long time now...haha Thanks for all your responses and for being mature about it all. I'll check in later.

God bless.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Hambydammit" though

Quote:
"Hambydammit" though I see where you may have GREATLY, misunderstood me...I feel your reply was much too juvenile to even bother responding. lol Thanks for your input though. = )

Well, thanks very much for the insult!  Sorry you find my writing juvenile.  I'll try again and see if I can make it into an adult question for you.  I'm truly disappointed that you didn't feel like my points were worth responding to.  

What do any of your examples have to do with whether religion is good or bad?

If I've greatly misunderstood you, it's most likely because you expressed yourself poorly.  In looking over everyone's responses to you, it appears that most everyone thinks you're saying:

1. Ending religion won't end all the problems in the world, therefore, religion is good.

2. Religion does some good things and some bad things, therefore, religion is good.

Why don't you just give us a concise statement.  Why do you think religion should not be ended?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Speck
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Well, thanks very much for the insult! Sorry you find my writing juvenile. I'll try again and see if I can make it into an adult question for you. I'm truly disappointed that you didn't feel like my points were worth responding to.

What do any of your examples have to do with whether religion is good or bad?

If I've greatly misunderstood you, it's most likely because you expressed yourself poorly. In looking over everyone's responses to you, it appears that most everyone thinks you're saying:

1. Ending religion won't end all the problems in the world, therefore, religion is good.

2. Religion does some good things and some bad things, therefore, religion is good.

Why don't you just give us a concise statement. Why do you think religion should not be ended?

See, this is a mature reply...for the most part. = )

Misunderstandings are probably coming from not reading the title of the topic. The importance of religion. Not if it's good or bad, but if it's actually made some sort of positive impact. Which it has.  And not just christianity but religion as a whole. From uniting people (since seperation can also be blamed for non belief as much as it can for believing), to inspiring exploration.

I wanted to point out that religion isn't -all bad-, and I understand you didn't say it was, no one did, I myself never claimed you did. It was to show that religion cannot be villanized to the extent that it has. It has done some good, we should notice that. The world wouldn't be better off without religion, we may even be less advanced or less expanded (the crusades) without it, and while those things might've happened eventually, it's impossible to tell how long it would've taken.

Religion is important - is what I'm saying.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: Which it

Speck wrote:
Which it has.

Name things religion has done that can't be done without religion.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: I've never

Speck wrote:

I've never heard of abstinence-only education...but it is just as logical as saying use condoms.

If you've never even heard of abstinence-only education, you are woefully unaware of current politics. It is an unfortunate truth that the current administration is pushing and "abstience-only" agenda which has been shown to be ineffective.

Speck wrote:
This is simply a matter of democracy. To dispise this, is to dispise our rights. We have a right to change things according to our opinions - if more people in one state would be happier with gay marriage, they'll vote for it, and get it, if not, they won't, and it'll be banned.

Thank god we don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic, where the rights of the minorities are protected from the majority. Under our system of government, the majority is not permitted to impose its collective will on the minority when that would result in unfair and unequal treatment, which is unforutnately what is occuring in this instance.

Speck wrote:
Furthermore there are logical reasons to be agaisnt the whole, legal gay marriage thing. Firstly, you really would have to change what marriage is defined as...but in truth, my point of view is, because marriage is so deeply rooted with religion (the wedding ring is a pagan symbol of reincarnation, the whole wedding dress thing is to symbolize purity, and well...the priest...haha...which is of course not always needed), it should not be legal or illegal. Seperation of church and state should prevent the government from interfering with that on either side...then you can get married under God, without the government, and if you're gay...get married how you see fit. That's my take on it.

If there are logical reasons to be against gay marriage, you haven't presented any.

"First, you really would have to change what marriage is defined as" Ok. This has already been done. How often do you hear about marriage as a transfer of property? That's what it used to be. In a very real, legal sense a woman was owned by her husband.

People can already get married without god. Marriage provides a lot of benefits to the couples, inlcuding hospital visitiation rights and ease of adoption. These things are currently denied to gay couples. Do you have any actual reason to deny them all the rights conferred with marriage?

Speck wrote:
So true. I'm not saying it hasn't hurt - but let's be honest, people will always find a reason to hurt one another, be it with or without religion. I was simply stating the good that religion has done to show it's importance and how it has impacted the world we live in today. Even the bad things religion has done (the over oppressive Catholic church) led to the founding of America, which may be very "euro-centric" if that's what you mean by that, but it is indeed a good thing from many people's perspective. Bad can lead to good, sometimes it only leads to more bad, I'm only saying that religion has impacted the world positively.

If people can be bad or good with or without religion, how is religion good? It's like saying that white people are good because they've done good things. Sure they've done some bad things too, but without white people, think of how different the world would be.

Different is not better or worse. If religion causes as many bad things as it does good, you simply cannot maintain the argument that it is good.

Speck wrote:
We actually have no way of knowing if Europeans would've ever even bothered with them otherwise.

If there's no way to know if the Europeans would have explored without religion, how can you possibly claim that it was because of religion?

You're essentially saying "I don't know why X happened, so it must have been Y." That makes no sense at all.

Speck wrote:
While also showing the spark of that spirit and curiosity, which had been the crusades...the purpose for going there in the first place.

The purpose of the crusades was what? To kill people or to promote trade? Maybe without religion they could have had the trade without the killing, since they would still have the spirit of exploration without the need to kill.

Speck wrote:
Surely, but any reasoning can't be ignored. Whatever the reasoning, it must be taken as important to people getting help. Religion is one of those reasons, cutting a reason to help people away seems unwise, though this I suppose is merely opinion.

Reasoning that is faulty can be ignored, or at least dismissed.

Your claim was that religion causes donations and such. And yet, many people donate without religion. Do you think that most of those people you are talking about donated because they were religious, or because they wanted to help other people?

Speck wrote:
It's looking at it from the point of understanding, that many factors are included in the good and bad of the world. Religion is an important factor in much of the good that has occurred. It's spurred exploration and trade, and to say it hasn't would be incorrect. It's also important to note that we have no way of knowing what might've happened in its absense...could've turned out alright, maybe not...but that's the case with most things. (e.g. government)

So you can demonstrate that people explored and traded because they wanted to please god, and not for conquest or profit? Again, the fact that we don't know exactly how things would have turned out if religion didn't exist does not support the argument that religion is good.

What good thing that occured could not have occured without religion? 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mother Teresa

Hambydammit wrote:

You don't know anything about Mother Teresa. Nothing. You should read THIS BOOK.

Hi Hamby,

I just want to make a comment on this book, I didn't find it that great, I felt Hitchens crossed the line between going out fairly to expose the illusionary saintliness for the supremely flawed and dogmatically religious human being that she was into just plain selling her out for a cheap shot.

Mother Teresa lived what she believed with humanity in a few obvious ways, her followers wanted her close to guide them and she gave them that right up to the week before her death at 87 (an age when some have already spent decades in retirement), she spoke out on her faith, counter to contemporary wisdom, she didn't sway her ideology for lofty universal goals that weren't becoming of her, she loved children and that's the simple and small frame of reference that she placed things in, she wasn't a genius she was really quite a simple person with normal conflicting human ideas.  For Hitchens to take her down from the ludicrously high pedestal is one thing, but I think he should have stopped short of imposing high ideologies of universalism and crushing her under the wanting of them, it's just as sinister to take her down as it was (and still is) to build her up over something she could never be. JMHO.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Speck

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Speck wrote:
Which it has.

Historically speaking, religion has created important social constructs which atheism and secularism have failed to reproduce. Churchgoing is a prime example of this: it is perhaps the single most successful source that I have ever seen in terms of keeping individuals in contact with their communities. Members of religious groups feel connected to each other in a very special way, and as a result, congregations can easily become social support groups. So while (if I went to church) I might inform my congregation of my roommate's recent diagnosis with leukemia, I wouldn't feel compelled to tell any other groups with which I might be associated (say, the SEAC).

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Misunderstandings

Quote:
Misunderstandings are probably coming from not reading the title of the topic. The importance of religion. Not if it's good or bad, but if it's actually made some sort of positive impact. Which it has.

Both atheists and theists do good things. Nobody's debating this. However, religion, unlike atheism, tells people to do some really bad stuff, too. Stuff they wouldn't have done without the religion telling them to do so. If people will do good regardless of religion, but they do extra bad things because of religion, how does that make religion worth keeping?

So, you should demonstrate what it is about religion, not the people who adhere to it, that makes it worthy of keeping around. After all, every group -- theists and atheists alike -- do both good and bad things, but bad ideologies, including, but not limited to religion, cause people to do bad things they wouldn't have done otherwise.

Do you want to say that religious people are better than non-religious people? If not, how do you justify keeping religion when the only demonstrable difference between theism and non-theism is the addition of extra bad things?

Quote:
I wanted to point out that religion isn't -all bad-, and I understand you didn't say it was, no one did, I myself never claimed you did.

Well... um...

Thanks for pointing it out, I guess.

Quote:
It was to show that religion cannot be villanized to the extent that it has.

By your own admission, people don't need religion to do good things. However, religion has been the catalyst for many bad things. So, we should keep it... um... why?

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speck wrote: Also, if

Speck wrote:

Also, if religious followers like Christians, actually followed the bible as they should, there's virtually no negativity. The bible teaches love and even tolerance - but it also teaches truth telling...and since to these people, that is the truth, it's in kindness a christian preaches to someone...not in cruelty. (not all christians do this, some are misguided, but the true christian follows the bible...these follow their heart.)

I've read some pretty violent things in the bible. While I admit that I'm certainly no scholar of the bible, I do have to say that there is violence, cruelty and negativity contained within it. To clarify, of course, not everything in the bible is negative.

Oh, and that whole 'true Christian' thing? That's called a No
Scotsman Fallacy. I'm afraid that's not an acceptable argument around here.

Speck wrote:
...but in truth, Christians simply wish to tell everyone they can, the "good news" if they'll at least hear it. That is all we're called to do. Furthermore, we are also exercising our own right of freedom of the practice of religion and freedom of speech.

See, here's the thing. How do you know you're right? I find it a bit arrogant to go to other lands and try to sway people from their religion because you (not you personally) are convinced that you have the 'good' religion, the 'right' religion. Where is your proof that the Christian god is the right or true god?

I'm a big fan of free speech. Witness all you want. It doesn't mean that I have to hear it. Or that I can't exercise some of my own free speech in return.

Speck wrote:
I'm christian, and I'm totally for stem cell research. As long as abortion is legal and does exist, there might as well be benifits, and furthermore, it's no longer a true issue, since stem cells can be gained in other ways now, other than aborted fetuses.

Interesting take on it. Again, I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I believe there is more to be gleaned from embryonic stem cells than others. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge will help clarify this.

Speck wrote:
I've never heard of abstinence-only education...but it is just as logical as saying use condoms. It's just another way to be a little safer...not 100%, but a little. I believe people should hear all aspects of "safe sex", and so far that's what I've seen them being taught.

Really? Are you from the states? It's a bit of an issue, since our president endorses it and federally funds it and it's totally ineffective. Here's a link for your perusal. Wiki has a page on it here. Well, there's oodles of info out there if you have some time to surf the web.

Speck wrote:
I have several atheist friends, and I've even considered dating an atheist once. Most christians...true, bible following christians, despise atheism, not atheists(hate the sin not the sinner)... We also believe that we are all equal, the bible teaches equality...here's a verse supporting that statement. (This is strictly to point out christian view points)

Romans 12:3 - For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment...

Well, that's nice that you don't hate us, but quite a few people do. Search these forums and you'll find plenty.

Speck wrote:

Nope. Banning marriage based on religious beliefs, no matter whether you're the marjority or not does not change the fact that you are taking rights away from human beings. Let's put it this way, replace the word 'gay' with 'interracial'. Doesn't sound very fair, does it?

Gay couples should be afforded the same rights as heterosexual. They should have the same legal protections, benefits, etc. as a heterosexual couple. Because of the stigma that religion placed on homosexuality, gay couples are not afforded these rights.

Speck wrote:

I have a surprise for you. The Catholic church used to marry same sex couples (specifically men). Marriage is an institution, if you will. It was about property, money, lineage and heirs. Only recently has marriage become what it is today.

Oh, and I thought Hamby's post was very nice!!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Churchgoing is a

Quote:
Churchgoing is a prime example of this: it is perhaps the single most successful source that I have ever seen in terms of keeping individuals in contact with their communities.

Bollocks.

Every society, secular and theist, has had mechanisms for keeping individuals in contact with their communities. In many ways, churchgoing has kept groups separate from their communities, since Catholics would never associate with Protestants, and Protestants have fifty of their own denominations.

You really don't want to go here. You couldn't possibly be more wrong about this.

Quote:
So while (if I went to church) I might inform my congregation of my roommate's recent diagnosis with leukemia, I wouldn't feel compelled to tell any other groups with which I might be associated (say, the SEAC).

You're misunderstanding how society works here. You're suggesting that churches were the cause of people getting together and forming close groups, when in reality, people have always formed close groups, and churches were the result of this tendency.

Seriously, you should do some research into sociology before you go on making this kind of blatantly wrong assertion.

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

However, religion, unlike atheism, tells people to do some really bad stuff, too. Stuff they wouldn't have done without the religion telling them to do so. If people will do good regardless of religion, but they do extra bad things because of religion, how does that make religion worth keeping?

There is an equivocation fallacy hidden cleverly in here. You talk about the bad things that certain religions (namely the Abrahamic ones, I presume) and equating with all possible religions, leading you to the faulty conclusion that all religions are not worth keeping because of the bad things that stem from them. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Every

Hambydammit wrote:

Every society, secular and theist, has had mechanisms for keeping individuals in contact with their communities.

I'm not aware that there have been completely secular societies. 

Quote:
In many ways, churchgoing has kept groups separate from their communities, since Catholics would never associate with Protestants, and Protestants have fifty of their own denominations.

Catholics would never associate with Protestants? And you called the things I wrote bollocks? 

Quote:
You really don't want to go here. You couldn't possibly be more wrong about this.

That's a rather silly assertion to make. Why shouldn't I want to be corrected, if I am indeed wrong. You seem to be very inconsistant here - you think that all people should want to be right, yet you try to discourage me from making an argument that is, according to you, easily corrected. I imagine this stems from laziness on your part: you wish the world to think correctly, but have no intention of being the one to teach the world to do so.

Quote:
You're misunderstanding how society works here. You're suggesting that churches were the cause of people getting together and forming close groups, when in reality, people have always formed close groups, and churches were the result of this tendency.

Seriously, you should do some research into sociology before you go on making this kind of blatantly wrong assertion.

I never at all suggested that churches were the cause of such behavior. Churches are the most memeticly successful result of this social grouping behavior. If you can suggest one that is better, then please do so. 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
O_O So being a part of the

O_O

So being a part of the neighborhood watch, local basketball team, local music scene, and the plethora of area specific gatherings, groups, and social environments don't exist and only church gatherings do...?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: O_O So

CrimsonEdge wrote:

O_O

So being a part of the neighborhood watch, local basketball team, local music scene, and the plethora of area specific gatherings, groups, and social environments don't exist and only church gatherings do...?

Not at all. Reread my post. I said that church gatherings are the most successful, not that they are the only ones existant. 

Fish
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: Not

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Not at all. Reread my post. I said that church gatherings are the most successful, not that they are the only ones existant.

If that's the case, then it doesn't actually address CrimsonEdge's original post:

CrimsonEdge wrote:

If secular gatherings can have the same effect as church gatheirngs, then they are hardly something that can't be dont without religion.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: Not

LosingStreak06 wrote:

So this point is moot. Further, concerts, professional sports events, public schools, universities, MMO video games, and a plethora of other things have just as big a social impact, if not bigger social impact, than church does.

This is ignoring the basis of the last mentioned: the internet. 

FranklinRobertson
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have read your reply and

I have read your reply and wish to add a few pointers. I apologize if this seems kind of haphazard in the response, I had exams today and have been up since 2:45 AM. So. My brain is a bit frazzled. Still, let me continue! I for one do not despise atheists. I am willing to answer, to the best of my ability, the questions that are raised by atheists, but I do not hate atheists. I do not snub my nose to atheists. Nor do I snub my nose to the Wiccan, to the Muslim, or to the Jew—I have had friends ranging from atheists to Wiccans, and I still have these friends. I understand their worldview, I do not share their worldview. In fact the chap who is training me in physics (which is a parallel study of mine as I go through seminary, I hope to one day be able to work the wonderful and beautiful mathematical equations I find in my books on astrophysics and particle physics) is an atheist and a fan of your website and worldview. Even more so, he is a homosexual. He and I agree on a lot of things politically speaking, though he is of the Left and I am of the Right. Still, people can find common ground! I do not judge others. I don’t hate others. Hatred is a waste of time and energy. God does not call me as a seminary student to hate others even if I firmly disagree with a stance that is being taken. It is not my job to judge others. However, if you have a question that you wish to ask of me, from what I have trained in theology, I would be more than happy to answer questions that might be asked. I wont wildly witness you or anyone, such as throwing Bible pamphlets at you! But I will answer questions to the best of my ability as long as there is civility between those who ask the questions and those who answer the questions. Stepping back, none of my friends who are in seminary or at the church I go to or Christian friends far and wide hate atheists, homosexuals, Wiccans, et cetera et cetera. You can have a civil attitude between people and disagree with one another’s worldviews. You have a right to decide what you believe or do not believe, that is simply put. I will say I disagree with your consideration, but I do believe in free will.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
""I don't know either the

""I don't know either the way out or the way in; I am whatever doesn't know either the way out or the way in"--so sighs the man of today." - Friedrich Nietzsche

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: LosingStreak06

Fish wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

If that's the case, then it doesn't actually address CrimsonEdge's original post:

CrimsonEdge wrote:

If secular gatherings can have the same effect as church gatheirngs, then they are hardly something that can't be dont without religion.

CrimsonEdge's point was a poor one to make. By the logic that religion is unoriginal, and therefore expendable, we could argue that cars are unoriginal. We can travel by horse (or on foot even) and not as heavily damage the environment. So ought cars be abolished? Of course not. They ought to be improved. The same thing applies to religion. 

Fish
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

CrimsonEdge's point was a poor one to make. By the logic that religion is unoriginal, and therefore expendable, we could argue that cars are unoriginal. We can travel by horse (or on foot even) and not as heavily damage the environment. So ought cars be abolished? Of course not. They ought to be improved. The same thing applies to religion.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I still feel the analogy is flawed.

To use your analogy, if a new form of transportation is developed, one that doesn't damage the environment at all, should we continue using cars? If a replacement for religion that confers all the benefits is developed (social good, etc) with none of the harms, would you agree that religion should be abandonded?

I am not making the argument that there is such a thing (although that may be CrimsonEdge's argument), but what if one was found?

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: If a

Fish wrote:

If a replacement for religion that confers all the benefits is developed (social good, etc) with none of the harms, would you agree that religion should be abandonded?

Completely, absolutely, and immediately. However, I have yet to see any evidence that religion has been bested.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

No, you missed my point entirely. A claim was made that religion does good things. I asked for someone to name something that is specific only to religion. You stated that the bringing together of community is something that is specific to religion and I proved you wrong.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

No, you missed my point entirely. A claim was made that religion does good things. I asked for someone to name something that is specific only to religion. You stated that the bringing together of community is something that is specific to religion and I proved you wrong.

Asking for something specific to religion in such a context is a non-sequitor. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: Break down

Textom wrote:

Break down your arguments and clear out some of the clutter of examples, Speck, and I think you'll find that they don't hold up:

Argument 1: religion isn't responsible for all bad things; some bad things that happen do not result from religion. Therefore religion is a good thing 

Argument 2: religion has helped people; some good things have come from religion. Therefore religion is a good thing. 

I believe argument 1 is an example of denying the antecedent.  I'm sure that argument 2 is an error of composition.

I think that sums up the argument nicely. 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

It completely isn't. You don't understand the premise of the statement and disagree with it, regardless of whether or not you fail to see what is being said.

I'll spell it out for you very simply... again.

A statement was made. I asked for proof. Proof was given. Proof was refuted.

You claimed that church, something only a religion can bring, brings about the development of a community. I demonstrated how other things bring community. It's as simple as that.  I do not take this any further like you are suggesting, which would make it a non-sequiter. I am simply showing that you do not need religion to form community as you suggested. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

It completely isn't. You don't understand the premise of the statement and disagree with it, regardless of whether or not you fail to see what is being said.

I'll spell it out for you very simply... again.

A statement was made. I asked for proof. Proof was given. Proof was refuted.

You claimed that church, something only a religion can bring, brings about the development of a community. I demonstrated how other things bring community. It's as simple as that. I do not take this any further like you are suggesting, which would make it a non-sequiter. I am simply showing that you do not need religion to form community as you suggested.

Apparently, I'm the one who needs to spell things out for you: the TC suggests that religion brings about good things. Your request, namely that he identify things that religion and religion alone have brought about is a non-sequitur. Uniqueness and originality don't pertain to the argument at all. As for your demonstration, I do not believe that you demonstrated that anything else builds community better than religion has. You are right, however, in one thing; you don't need religion to form community. But that is a non-sequitur. I don't need a car to get to work either, but you bet your ass I'll be putting my key into the ignition every morning until you show me a better way to get there.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: There is an

Quote:
There is an equivocation fallacy hidden cleverly in here. You talk about the bad things that certain religions (namely the Abrahamic ones, I presume) and equating with all possible religions, leading you to the faulty conclusion that all religions are not worth keeping because of the bad things that stem from them.

No. There is no equivocation fallacy in there. If you'd like it spelled out further, here's my logic, including all premises:

(Definitions)

D1. Faith is defined as belief in something despite evidence to the contrary or complete lack of evidence.

D2. Religion is defined as a belief system relying on faith.

D3. Non-theism is defined as a lack of adherence to or belief in a religion.

P1. Some religions advocate or command doing bad things.

P2. Some theists do the bad things religion advocates or commands.

P3. All people do some good things and some bad things without religion.

P4. Theists don't do more good things than non-theists.*

P5. Some theists do more bad things than they would do without religion.**

C1. Religion does not add to the overall good of the world, but does contribute to the overall bad.

* "Theists" refers to virtually all theists, allowing for statistical anomolies. In P5, "Some" refers to a significant, statistically relevant number, in contrast to the statistically insignificant number in P4. Furthermore, "more good" refers to a per-capita measure rather than a gross figure. Because of the high percentage of religious people and institutions in many societies, it is probable that in some societies, religious groups would account for the highest gross number of socially benefitial organizations. This implies no causal relationship. Many studies have concluded that per capita participation in socially beneficial organizations might be higher for non-theists.

** This can be concluded thusly:

Good(1) = beneficial to humanity by virtue of a supernatural and/or unknowable universal standard.

Good(2) = beneficial with regard to a natural standard and an individual, a group, or an existing thing.

Bad(1) = negative to humanity by virtue of a supernatural and/or unknowable universal standard.

Bad(2) = negative with regard to a natural standard and an individual, a group, or an existing thing.

P1. Some theists believe that everything their religion advocates is good(1).

P2. Some theists try to do everything their religion advocates.

P3. Some theists do things which are not good(2) in any meaningful way, believing that they are good(1).

P4. Virtually all theists from P3 would not have done the things which are not good(2) except for the religion.

P5. Some of the non-good(2) things are bad(2).

C1. Some theists do bad(2) things because of their religion, which they would not have done without it.

Furthermore:

Normal = capable of thinking rationally about accurate perceptions of reality.

P1. All normal people desire to do good(2).

P2. Multiple peer-reviewed studies show a correlation between secular societies and statistically significant numbers of positive cultural traits.

P3. Negative cultural traits (crime, bigotry, intolerance) are correlated with highly religious societies.

P4. No accepted studies have demonstrated a positive correlation between high levels of religiosity and statistically significant increases in positive cultural traits.*

C1. All available evidence suggests that there is no outstanding cultural benefit to religiosity in a society.

C2. Highly religious people must not, on balance, display a higher tendency towards culturally beneficial behavior.

* Some studies have demonstrated a correlation between certain segments of societies church attendance and socially beneficial activities, but in these segments of society, church related activities were the only one practically available. The correlation disappears when church and non-church avenues of social betterment become available, suggesting that there is no causal relationship between church attendance and social betterment activities.

Quote:
I'm not aware that there have been completely secular societies.

You've been here long enough to see these debates often enough. Why would you trot out this dead horse?

First, this doesn't address my point, which was that society is literally defined as having mechanisms for community contact. Churches are a result of the nature of society, not the other way around.

Second, churches are not present in all religious societies, at least not in the context you were using it.

Third, nothing in my rebuttal demands that there ever have been a completely secular society.

Quote:
Catholics would never associate with Protestants? And you called the things I wrote bollocks?

You've read history, right? There has been a strong tendency between competing Christian denominations to ostracize people who are not in the "correct" denomination. Sorry for not being logically precise.

In many, if not most, eras of Christian history, there has been a strong tendency for denominations to socially ostracize, and sometimes even punish legally, those who the ruling denomination deemed as heretical (i.e. not belonging to the "correct" denomination.)

And yes, I was calling what you wrote "bollocks." It is.

Quote:
That's a rather silly assertion to make. Why shouldn't I want to be corrected, if I am indeed wrong... I imagine this stems from laziness on your part: you wish the world to think correctly, but have no intention of being the one to teach the world to do so.

I stand corrected. I do apologize for assuming your motives. I am doing my best to correct you.

Legacy of Hate: A Short History of Ethnic, Religious, and Racial Prejudice in America

Enduring Inequality: Religious Discrimination in Employment in Northern Ireland (Inequality and Injustice in Northern Ireland

1492 to Present (P.S.)  

People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present (P.S.)

The Intellectual, Political and Cultural World of Europe's Reformed Churches, c. 1540-1620 (European History in Perspective)  

Beyond Calvin: The Intellectual, Political and Cultural World of Europe's Reformed Churches, c. 1540-1620 (European History in Perspective)

Now, in the eating crow category, would you like to retract your statement about me being unwilling to teach? Before you answer, please notice my work HERE and then think about how many of my posts you've seen where I go point by point with theists, exposing logical fallacies. I resent being called lazy. You should know better.

Quote:
I never at all suggested that churches were the cause of such behavior. Churches are the most memeticly successful result of this social grouping behavior. If you can suggest one that is better, then please do so.

So, your argument is that churches are memetically successful, therefore religion made them possible?

I don't think it would be easy to come up with a more fallacy laden argument. First, the conclusion is completely ad hoc. Second, it's a kind of Cum hoc ergo propter hoc. In other words, because two things are concurrent, there must be a causal relation. No relation has been established. In yet more words, there's no evidence that without religion, a similarly successful meme wouldn't have prevailed. In fact, we can look at American history and see a clear correlation between declining religiosity and increasing secular "societies" and social groups. It appears that society pretty much always has a level of community contact based on the needs of the society, independent of the presence of churches.

We can also say that this argument is an irrelevant conclusion -- the conclusion cannot be derived from the premise, which doesn't even include religion -- instead only discussing churches.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Apparently, I'm the

Quote:
Apparently, I'm the one who needs to spell things out for you: the TC suggests that religion brings about good things. Your request, namely that he identify things that religion and religion alone have brought about is a non-sequitur. Uniqueness and originality don't pertain to the argument at all. As for your demonstration, I do not believe that you demonstrated that anything else builds community better than religion has. You are right, however, in one thing; you don't need religion to form community. But that is a non-sequitur. I don't need a car to get to work either, but you bet your ass I'll be putting my key into the ignition every morning until you show me a better way to get there.

We've been down this road before.  

If religion is good, it is one of two things:

1) Uniquely good

2) Not uniquely good.

If it is uniquely good, there will be evidence of this.  None has been presented.  Evidence to the contrary has been presented.

If it is not uniquely good, then it can be measured by the same standards as anything else.  Does it contribute more good than bad?  I have demonstrated that it does not.  Does it contribute more bad than good?  There is strong evidence that this is true.

The existence of churches is not relevant for the following reasons:

1) All societies have social gathering rituals.

2) All societies have mechanisms for social betterment.

3) Churches are not unique, nor do they stand out as better than other social betterment mechanisms either by per-capita participation or broad measures of societal health.

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: No.

Hambydammit wrote:
No. There is no equivocation fallacy in there. If you'd like it spelled out further, here's my logic, including all premises:

(Definitions)

D1. Faith is defined as belief in something despite evidence to the contrary or complete lack of evidence.

D2. Religion is defined as a belief system relying on faith.

D3. Non-theism is defined as a lack of adherence to or belief in a religion.

P1. Some religions advocate or command doing bad things.

P2. Some theists do the bad things religion advocates or commands.

P3. All people do some good things and some bad things without religion.

P4. Theists don't do more good things than non-theists.*

P5. Some theists do more bad things than they would do without religion.**

C1. Religion does not add to the overall good of the world, but does contribute to the overall bad.

* "Theists" refers to virtually all theists, allowing for statistical anomolies. In P5, "Some" refers to a significant, statistically relevant number, in contrast to the statistically insignificant number in P4. Furthermore, "more good" refers to a per-capita measure rather than a gross figure. Because of the high percentage of religious people and institutions in many societies, it is probable that in some societies, religious groups would account for the highest gross number of socially benefitial organizations. This implies no causal relationship. Many studies have concluded that per capita participation in socially beneficial organizations might be higher for non-theists.

** This can be concluded thusly:

Good(1) = beneficial to humanity by virtue of a supernatural and/or unknowable universal standard.

Good(2) = beneficial with regard to a natural standard and an individual, a group, or an existing thing.

Bad(1) = negative to humanity by virtue of a supernatural and/or unknowable universal standard.

Bad(2) = negative with regard to a natural standard and an individual, a group, or an existing thing.

P1. Some theists believe that everything their religion advocates is good(1).

P2. Some theists try to do everything their religion advocates.

P3. Some theists do things which are not good(2) in any meaningful way, believing that they are good(1).

P4. Virtually all theists from P3 would not have done the things which are not good(2) except for the religion.

P5. Some of the non-good(2) things are bad(2).

C1. Some theists do bad(2) things because of their religion, which they would not have done without it.

Furthermore:

Normal = capable of thinking rationally about accurate perceptions of reality.

P1. All normal people desire to do good(2).

P2. Multiple peer-reviewed studies show a correlation between secular societies and statistically significant numbers of positive cultural traits.

P3. Negative cultural traits (crime, bigotry, intolerance) are correlated with highly religious societies.

P4. No accepted studies have demonstrated a positive correlation between high levels of religiosity and statistically significant increases in positive cultural traits.*

C1. All available evidence suggests that there is no outstanding cultural benefit to religiosity in a society.

C2. Highly religious people must not, on balance, display a higher tendency towards culturally beneficial behavior.

* Some studies have demonstrated a correlation between certain segments of societies church attendance and socially beneficial activities, but in these segments of society, church related activities were the only one practically available. The correlation disappears when church and non-church avenues of social betterment become available, suggesting that there is no causal relationship between church attendance and social betterment activities.

The fallacy (as I perceive it) lies in the bolded parts. You take the traits of some religions in your premise, and apply them to all religions in your conclusion. Thus, your D2 is inconsistent. This, of course, is assuming that I'm reading the argument correctly.

Quote:
You've read history, right? There has been a strong tendency between competing Christian denominations to ostracize people who are not in the "correct" denomination. Sorry for not being logically precise.

In many, if not most, eras of Christian history, there has been a strong tendency for denominations to socially ostracize, and sometimes even punish legally, those who the ruling denomination deemed as heretical (i.e. not belonging to the "correct" denomination.)

And yes, I was calling what you wrote "bollocks." It is.

History is not what is being placed on trial here. The present manifestation of religion is. So any and all references to what Christians, Buddhists, or Zoroastrians have done throughout history are irrelevent when we are concerned with what they are doing right now, and what they will be doing in the future (assuming that the latter is knowable).

I'll get on those, but would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to just how educating myself in history ir relevant to the discussion at hand?

Quote:
Now, in the eating crow category, would you like to retract your statement about me being unwilling to teach? Before you answer, please notice my work HERE and then think about how many of my posts you've seen where I go point by point with theists, exposing logical fallacies. I resent being called lazy. You should know better.

I would gladly retract my accusation of laziness. To be quite honest, it was something of a ruse on my part; I only did it to ensure a reply. To say that you have always exceeded my expectations would be a disaster in understatement.

Quote:
So, your argument is that churches are memetically successful, therefore religion made them possible?

No, just that churches are memetically successful, and that we should pause to consider what ramifications might come about from so quickly casting aside an ingrained meme. (Actually, my argument would probably be the other way around: churches being memetically succesful made religion possible as a lasting social construct).

Quote:
I don't think it would be easy to come up with a more fallacy laden argument. First, the conclusion is completely ad hoc. Second, it's a kind of Cum hoc ergo propter hoc. In other words, because two things are concurrent, there must be a causal relation. No relation has been established. In yet more words, there's no evidence that without religion, a similarly successful meme wouldn't have prevailed. In fact, we can look at American history and see a clear correlation between declining religiosity and increasing secular "societies" and social groups. It appears that society pretty much always has a level of community contact based on the needs of the society, independent of the presence of churches.

We can also say that this argument is an irrelevant conclusion -- the conclusion cannot be derived from the premise, which doesn't even include religion -- instead only discussing churches.

Churches are, I believe, what makes religion a very powerful social force. I think that if atheists had a church, it would be astoundingly successful. But atheists don't have a church (pseudo-religions and satires aside). What's more, they scoff at the idea. And the way I see it, if secularism won't take church, then it falls securely into the realm of religion.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Further: http://youtube.com/

Further:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ly62n36nn0k

Sums stuff up nicely. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The fallacy (as I

Quote:
The fallacy (as I perceive it) lies in the bolded parts. You take the traits of some religions in your premise, and apply them to all religions in your conclusion. Thus, your D2 is inconsistent. This, of course, is assuming that I'm reading the argument correctly.

Your perception is probably because you haven't understood the argument yet. I'll try one more time.

Religious people collectively express the tenets of their respective religions.

Religious people are objectively no better than non-religious people.

Religious people, because of adherence to non-factual beliefs and acceptance of irrational values, often commit bad acts that would not be logically justifiable without the religion. In fact, they do them because of their religious beliefs.

Therefore, we can say that religion contributes no unique good to the world while contributing unique bad.

On balance, adherence to religion is bad.

If adherence to a religion is bad, it can be said that the religion is bad.

If some religions are neutral and some are bad, on balance, all religion is bad.

Here's another way of looking at it:

Religion, by definition is irrational. (Faith is irrational, and faith is necessary for a belief system to be called a religion. It would be called science or philosophy without the faith!)

Morality can be described rationally.

Moral guidelines can be derived rationally.

Moral guidelines derived from faith are necessarily less valid than those derived from reason, since in some cases, the premises will be asserted despite evidence to the contrary.

It follows that:

Some religious views of morality will be false.

Some religious views of morality will be true.

No religious values are objective, since faith removes objectivity.

Therefore, religious morality is removed from objectivity, and does not correlate to good(2) and bad(2).

If Religion and religious belief promote non-objective morality, it is probable (maybe inevitable) that religious believers will do some bad things that they believe to be good.

Therefore, Religion enables the religious to be less good than if they were simply rational.

Quote:
I'll get on those, but would you be so kind as to enlighten me as to just how educating myself in history ir relevant to the discussion at hand?

You seem to believe that the church, on balance, has been a unifying social factor. A thorough study of history will prove that it has not.

Quote:
I would gladly retract my accusation of laziness. To be quite honest, it was something of a ruse on my part; I only did it to ensure a reply. To say that you have always exceeded my expectations would be a disaster in understatement.

All that butter earned another thorough reply.

Quote:
No, just that churches are memetically successful, and that we should pause to consider what ramifications might come about from so quickly casting aside an ingrained meme.

Memes are not dependent on inherent value for their reproductive success, unlike genes. Many destructive memes are highly successful. I have paused more than sufficiently to examine the value impact of churches, and have demonstrated that the only differentiating factor they have is that they were religiously inspired. All the evidence suggests that without the religion, social bonding facilities would have developed. The conclusion, then, is that churches are the religious expression of an inherent and universal human behavior -- namely, establishing social bonds.

The implication is that without churches, humans would still bond, and would still form establishments to facilitate such bonding.

I think I've thoroughly and soundly refuted the idea that society would be worse off without churches as social bonding mechanisms.

Quote:
(Actually, my argument would probably be the other way around: churches being memetically succesful made religion possible as a lasting social construct).

It would have been nice if you'd phrased it this way before I spent two hours of my life refuting the opposite view.

Can we come to agreement on this? Churches are a manifestation of social bonding, which is universal to humanity.

It's important to clear up a slight problem with our terminology here. Churches are not memes. Churches are buildings. Religion is the meme. The meme's success was largely due to humanity's natural and universal tendency to form social bonds, and consequently, institutions to facilitate the forming of social bonds.

In other words, we've traveled six times around our big toe to get from our ears to our eyes. In all this, we've established that churches formed because people like other people, and religion is a meme.

Hardly a ringing pronouncement of the value of religion.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oops... forgot one

Oops... forgot one point:

Quote:
Churches are, I believe, what makes religion a very powerful social force. I think that if atheists had a church, it would be astoundingly successful. But atheists don't have a church (pseudo-religions and satires aside). What's more, they scoff at the idea. And the way I see it, if secularism won't take church, then it falls securely into the realm of religion.

I think I've demonstrated that you've got the chicken and the egg confused, but I'll go at it from another point of view.

Secularists don't reject church because it's a social bond. They reject it because religious dogma is irrational. As it turns out, secularists bond outside of church just as much as theists.

It's logically unsound to say that because secularists reject one kind of social bonding that society would have disintegrated (or even been less well off) without it.

Furthermore, it is fine to say that churches are unique to religion, but that is sort of like saying that eyes are unique to creatures who perceive light.   It's a misuse of the word unique in the context of this argument.

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Before I even begin, I

Before I even begin, I would like to apologize for taking so long to respond. I have been... indisposed, as it were, and did not consider myself fit for such a task. As to whether or not I am currently fit, only time will tell. 

Hambydammit wrote:

Your perception is probably because you haven't understood the argument yet. I'll try one more time.

Religious people collectively express the tenets of their respective religions.

Religious people are objectively no better than non-religious people.

Religious people, because of adherence to non-factual beliefs and acceptance of irrational values, often commit bad acts that would not be logically justifiable without the religion. In fact, they do them because of their religious beliefs.

Therefore, we can say that religion contributes no unique good to the world while contributing unique bad.

On balance, adherence to religion is bad.

If adherence to a religion is bad, it can be said that the religion is bad.

If some religions are neutral and some are bad, on balance, all religion is bad.

Your argument stems from the assumption that religious people and non-religious people are precisely the same, barring the religious belief. You forget, it seems, that I hold that the majority of religious people are irreparably insane.

My main beef with this particular argument lies in the bolded statement. The premise in itself is accurate, but I believe that it is inaccurately applied to the argument. How religious people compare to non-religious people isn't an issue here. How religious people compare to themselves without religion is. In order to prove that religion doesn't in fact lead to people performing good deeds, (in other words, to support your premise that religion doesn't in fact contribute any good to society), you would have to prove that the people who currently do good deeds for religious reasons would still do good deeds without those religious reasons. Suffice to say I consider this a very formiddable task.

Quote:

Here's another way of looking at it:

Religion, by definition is irrational. (Faith is irrational, and faith is necessary for a belief system to be called a religion. It would be called science or philosophy without the faith!)

Morality can be described rationally.

Moral guidelines can be derived rationally.

Moral guidelines derived from faith are necessarily less valid than those derived from reason, since in some cases, the premises will be asserted despite evidence to the contrary.

It follows that:

Some religious views of morality will be false.

Some religious views of morality will be true.

No religious values are objective, since faith removes objectivity.

Therefore, religious morality is removed from objectivity, and does not correlate to good(2) and bad(2).

If Religion and religious belief promote non-objective morality, it is probable (maybe inevitable) that religious believers will do some bad things that they believe to be good.

Therefore, Religion enables the religious to be less good than if they were simply rational.

The problem I see with this argument, is that while morality can be described rationally, it isn't always (see: religious moral systems). The argument is sound logically, but I don't see that it would practically follow. In order for it to work in reality, it would be required that without religion, a rational morality would necessarily follow. I do not believe that such would be the case. Religion isn't a direct synonym of irrational. One can be irrational without religion. You are essentially denying the antecedent here (If religion, then irrational; not religion, therefore not irrational.). "Correct me if I'm wrong" goes without saying.

Quote:
You seem to believe that the church, on balance, has been a unifying social factor. A thorough study of history will prove that it has not.

I would say that it has been a unifying social factor on a communal level, and that beyond that it can lead to hostility on a more global level, but I could say the same thing about college football. 

Quote:
Memes are not dependent on inherent value for their reproductive success, unlike genes. Many destructive memes are highly successful.

I have paused more than sufficiently to examine the value impact of churches, and have demonstrated that the only differentiating factor they have is that they were religiously inspired. All the evidence suggests that without the religion, social bonding facilities would have developed. The conclusion, then, is that churches are the religious expression of an inherent and universal human behavior -- namely, establishing social bonds.

Can you perhaps pause just a bit longer, and demonstrate these alternate social bonding facilities, and how they differ sufficiently from religious ones? 

Quote:
The implication is that without churches, humans would still bond, and would still form establishments to facilitate such bonding.

I think I've thoroughly and soundly refuted the idea that society would be worse off without churches as social bonding mechanisms.

I'm afraid I'm inclined to disagree. I would like to hear more on the subject.

Quote:
It would have been nice if you'd phrased it this way before I spent two hours of my life refuting the opposite view.

Can we come to agreement on this? Churches are a manifestation of social bonding, which is universal to humanity.

It's important to clear up a slight problem with our terminology here. Churches are not memes. Churches are buildings. Religion is the meme. The meme's success was largely due to humanity's natural and universal tendency to form social bonds, and consequently, institutions to facilitate the forming of social bonds.

In other words, we've traveled six times around our big toe to get from our ears to our eyes. In all this, we've established that churches formed because people like other people, and religion is a meme.

Hardly a ringing pronouncement of the value of religion.

Churches may not be memes, but churchgoing is. And religion helped facilitate its creation (ensuring its own longevity in the process).

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow.  It's strange how

Wow.  It's strange how confirmation bias works.  A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a glaring error in an argument (unrelated to RRS).  This was essentially a non causa pro causa, or asserting that A caused B simply because the two events happened in sequence.

Since then, I have been noticing a similar error in a LOT of theist posts.  I haven't quite got a handle on precisely what combination of fallacies it is yet, so I'm not ready to post my thoughts, but you're doing it here, Losingstreak.

Until I get ready to thoroughly repudiate this kind of thinking, I'd like you to go back through your posts, and more importantly, your thought processes, and ask yourself if you think human nature causes human institutions, or if human institutions cause human nature. 

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Wow. It's strange how confirmation bias works. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a glaring error in an argument (unrelated to RRS). This was essentially a non causa pro causa, or asserting that A caused B simply because the two events happened in sequence.

Since then, I have been noticing a similar error in a LOT of theist posts. I haven't quite got a handle on precisely what combination of fallacies it is yet, so I'm not ready to post my thoughts, but you're doing it here, Losingstreak.

Until I get ready to thoroughly repudiate this kind of thinking, I'd like you to go back through your posts, and more importantly, your thought processes, and ask yourself if you think human nature causes human institutions, or if human institutions cause human nature.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to be a chicken and egg type of deal (I'm in the school that a chicken hatched from a proto-chicken egg, and thus essentially "came first," but that's not really the point). I believe that both effect each other.

***EDIT:

On a further note, I feel that I have a difficult time differentiating between the two. By what do we measure human nature, if not by what it creates? This causes me some confusion.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
On a further note, I feel that I have a difficult time differentiating between the two. By what do we measure human nature, if not by what it creates? This causes me some confusion.

Good! That's why I asked you to think about it. I'm not aware of a single book that addresses "human nature" as a whole, but if you want to pick a single aspect of it, such as morality, there are tons of books available. Do an amazon search on whatever aspect of human nature you'd like to learn about. Amazon is particularly good because they have a great system for selling used books.. often very cheap.

[edit: also, if you use amazon, you can click there from the link on the RRS homepage, and we'll get a cut, which will help pay server fees, which will keep this forum up so you can keep posting!]

Books about atheism