Hitchens/D'Souza Debate

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hitchens/D'Souza Debate

Did anybody else go to the Hitchens/D'Souza Debate?

Link

There were cameras videotaping, but I don't see anything on The King's College Web site about posting the vid.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lux wrote: jcgadfly

Lux wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
Lux wrote:
Textom wrote:

rpcarnell wrote:
During the debate, some guy from a small island in Asia (I may be mistaken) clained that before Christianity made it to his island, people were going around devouring each other. Yes, it is probably true.

Actually the guy from Tongo was over-generalizing the situation. The vast majority of mammals instinctively avoid eating members of their own species for sustenance. Nobody is certain why, but it may be that too many diseases (especially viruses, prions) are vectored that way. There's a theory right now, for instance, that Tazmanian Devils are going extinct because they routinely scavenge the bodies of their own dead, which might be why they're all dying from a virus-induced tumor disease. Animals don't need a religion to teach them not to eat each other--natural selection takes care of that.

Humans are a notable exception, but in all documented cases of cannibalism, people only routinely eat each other as part of a religious ceremony--and not for sustenance. In Tongo in the old days, you might eat a little piece of a dead enemy warrior to absorb some of his strength as part of a heavily-ritualized, communal ceremony. But the calorie intake was insignificant--to live you ate pigs, chickens, fish and plants.

Let me emphasize that--people eat each other *because of* religion, and not from a lack of it.

All Christianity does is swap one form of ritual religious cannibalism for another--a literal form for a symbolic form. What is the communion after all?

"All Christianity does is swap one form of ritual religious cannibalism for another--a literal form for a symbolic form. What is the communion after all?"

Actually it's called, Transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation (in Latin, transsubstantiatio) is the change of the substance of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ occurring in the Eucharist according to the teaching of some Christian Churches, including the Roman Catholic Church. In Greek, it is called μετουσίωσις (see Metousiosis). (WIKI)

This is the fruit of the church and the main point of the mass, this is a reminder and a commitment that we can have everlasting life through the sacrafice of Jesus. At the last Supper, Jesus told his diciples "Do this in memory of me". Its really quite beautiful and has nothing to do with canibalism. I love how atheist try to portray it as vile and discusting when it very much the opposite.

A distinction in search of a difference. You believe it's flesh and blood instead of it literally being turned into such. Symbolic cannibalism exchanged for the literal.

It does show how window dressing and pomp can make the mundane seem special. Taking in the body and blood of christ sounds so much better than eating a tasteless wafer and drinking some wine.

I suppose poetry makes no sense to you, only words bereft of meaning. nobody takes the "wafer" or drinks the wine and thinks it's snack time

Poetry makes sense to me. Some can drive powerful emotions. But I don't take the feelings I get from a poem and build a religion around them. Are you telling me you worship your feelings as your God?

Of course those who partake don't look at it for what it is. If they did, they'd realize that the only significance it has is what they bring to it and they'd lose the God concept. And churches would lose their biggest moneymaker.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an ex-Christian, Lux. 

I'm an ex-Christian, Lux.  Don't assume I'm not talking out of my own experience.

In Baptist church we ate broken saltines and drank grape juice and called it "the lord's supper" in deliberate rejection of the Catholic doctrine of transubstantiation.   A lot of people died in early modern Europe over the question of how symbolic the communion is supposed to be.

According to Campbell, the Christian version is a holdover from pre-Christian Gnostic religions in which people ritually ate pieces of mummies in order to gain eternal life and knowledge from the dead.   There was a vast economy of grave-robbing in Ptolomeic Egypt supporting the industry of providing "mumia" for religious rituals (and a parallel economy of fake mummy crackers for the rubes).  But it's a common human cultural thing that Christians can't claim to have originated.  African Sleeping Sickness virus is still vectored today because of the tradition of eating parts of the brains of dead relatives in order to retain their wisdom/spirit in the family.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert