Which version of the Bible should I read?

rmacleod
User is offlineOffline
Which version of the Bible should I read?

I am an atheist and I seem to find myself in a lot of debates with God fearers who say I am taking the Bible out of context. So I am going to do what they have never done... read the damn bible. I have a bible from CCD when I was a kid, but it has been softened for children. I want the anti-woman genocidal hardcore real bible translation. What is the best version? Is it the King James Bible or something else? What do you all, theists and atheists alike, think I should get? Thanks.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I want the

Quote:
I want the anti-woman genocidal hardcore real bible translation.

That's a rather dumb desire, if I may say so.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
you should get the leet

you should get the leet bible

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
The King James Version. I

The King James Version. I smite Christians daily with it.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
A serious answer

The New International Version is the most reliable translation.  It consistently selects the best source texts and makes an honest effort at getting it right.  I always use the NIV for arguing biblical points.

Only use the KJV as literature or when you want to sound cool.  There are serious problems with the accuracy of its translation because the scribes didn't have access to all the manuscripts and just didn't get some of the words right.

Also Catholic versions tend to be based on translations of translations that constitute the Vulgate, which also didn't use the best possible source material and has a lot of inaccuracies. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Which Bible

I recommend the Readers' Digest version. It's shorter. I particularly like the Eight Commandments.

Seriously, it kind of depends on whom you're dealing with. The KJV is considered by some in the "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ it's good enough for me" crowd to be special in some very hard to articulate way. Unfortunately, if you're not all that familiar with English as it was spoken at the time, it is a hard read and you can get a lot of mistaken ideas.

I am currently plodding through the New American Standard, pretty much for the same reason you are considering this masochistic exercise. I chose this version because the local Bible Bookstore had a copy with wide enough margins for me to write snide remarks.

If you're dealing with Catholics, you probably should use one of their Bibles. In particular, notice that the Catholic bible has some books that the Protestant ones don't have. Of course, some would suggest that if you're dealing with Catholics you really don't need to read the Bible at all until you've gone through the catechism.

Eric Haas
User is offlineOffline
Re: Which version of the Bible should I read?

rmacleod wrote:

I am an atheist and I seem to find myself in a lot of debates with God fearers who say I am taking the Bible out of context. So I am going to do what they have never done... read the damn bible. I have a bible from CCD when I was a kid, but it has been softened for children. I want the anti-woman genocidal hardcore real bible translation. What is the best version? Is it the King James Bible or something else? What do you all, theists and atheists alike, think I should get? Thanks.

My personal favorite is "The Compact Fully Translated Bible", edited and translated by William Harwood. It comes in two volumes (though they don't divide neatly between the old and new testaments). It contains a lot of notes about how scribes altered the meaning of the texts while translating, in order to make it appear the authors of the original texts were more in tune with the scribes' ideas of religion than they really were. It uses different typefaces to make it clear which passages were later additions or interpolations by different authors. And when two or more sections of the Bible cover the same story (e.g., the two separate stories of the creation in Genesis), they are placed side-by-side in columns, for easy comparison.

If your goal is to debate literalists, though, your probably best off with the KJV.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually

I have heard from Numerous scholars that the best version is the RSV version. If all else fails have a copy of each. NIV,RSV, ASV, KJV,NKJV, Vulgate ect. That way you can hit them with each and every copy.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Rich_Rodriguez
RRS Academy AdminSuperfan
Rich_Rodriguez's picture
User is offlineOffline
rmacleod wrote:

rmacleod wrote:

Well I assume you mean amongst the collections and not any particular manuscript. In English, I recommend the New Revised Standard Version. The NIV is terrible! It is more of a summary (though it is honest enough to have some footnotes on the Greek translations). The most widely accepted "scholarly" version is the Nestle Aland 27. 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have been giving this some

I have been giving this some thought of recent.  I did not grow up going to church or anything, so I haven't read the bible other than specific quotes and what not.  One of these days I need to sit down and read the thing front to back. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
The biggest problem with the

The biggest problem with the NRSV is its tendency to use gender neutral terms that weren't found in the original texts. In this sense, the RSV is superior, as it lacks those deviations. Of course, I was raised on the NRSV, and it is still my favorite version, but it is a poorer translation.

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use "The New Oxford

I use "The New Oxford Annotated [Study] Bible with the Apocrypha, Augmented 3rd Edition." It will tell you about the dates that scholars think certain texts were written and parallels to stories in other cultures. For example, it clearly points out the connections to Enuma Elish and the Babylonian divinity Tiamat in Genesis 1. It describes the documentary hypothesis, which is very helpful. There's tons of interesting facts in it.

The best translation, in my opinion, is the NRSV. It's slightly better than the KJV but it takes the NIV over its knee and spanks it. And for goodness' sake, do not use the NIV. It is a horrible translation. When the Hebrew allows multiple interpretations they translate it in a way that excludes the other possible interpretations from showing up in English. When there are words that people aren't quite sure of how to translate--such as tsaphown--they assume that one translation is correct and others are incorrect, which doesn't make much sense. (The NRSV translates it as Zaphon, which allows the readers to make up their own minds.) In many cases, they deliberately mistranslate the texts. Isaiah 4.17 is a classic example of this. Isaiah was prophecying that a child would soon be born from a "young woman" (saying nothing of virginity) as a sign to King Ahaz that God was on his side against the Assyrians. King Ahaz was long dead by the time Jesus was born. The NIV has, then, introduced an unfulfilled prophecy into the text even though the source texts say nothing remotely close to a prophecy concerning Jesus. The NIV has mistranslated the text to make it appear as though it talks about Jesus, to cover Matthew's butt, and in the process introduce an unfulfilled prophecy. The NIV translators are incompetent.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Rich_Rodriguez
RRS Academy AdminSuperfan
Rich_Rodriguez's picture
User is offlineOffline
NRSV

LosingStreak06 wrote:
The biggest problem with the NRSV is its tendency to use gender neutral terms that weren't found in the original texts.

Can you give some examples?

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich_Rodriguez wrote: The

Rich_Rodriguez wrote:

The NIV is terrible! It is more of a summary (though it is honest enough to have some footnotes on the Greek translations).

Rich: Arg.  I would have expected a little more sympathy from a travelling man. I find the NIV to be more in-tune with fundie thinking than the RSV, thus practical for debates.  Honest enough to be usable, but not so far removed from the KJV that it alienates the audience.

That's a point where I differ with some of the RRS, though.  I believe it's better not to alienate the audience. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich_Rodriguez

Rich_Rodriguez wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:
The biggest problem with the NRSV is its tendency to use gender neutral terms that weren't found in the original texts.

Can you give some examples?

Off the top of my head, Psalm 1 and Psalm 41.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: The

LosingStreak06 wrote:
The biggest problem with the NRSV is its tendency to use gender neutral terms that weren't found in the original texts. In this sense, the RSV is superior, as it lacks those deviations. Of course, I was raised on the NRSV, and it is still my favorite version, but it is a poorer translation.

It does, however it also gives the Greek in footnotes.  As per my favorite translation, aside from the RSV, ironically enough the NAB (Catholic Bible) is not only accurate per translation (of the Greek) but also includes apocrypha which some versions don't have.   

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)