Dear Christians. (A letter to them).

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dear Christians. (A letter to them).

Dear Christians.

I'm getting a bit bored of this whole thing. I've been expecting a little more out of you guys, however, you've all come up short. Very short. Gay Coleman short. When a discussion of science comes up, you often refer to the Bible and quote vague scripture to support your claim. So, why don't we take some very unvague pieces and apply it to yourself, especially since you openly say that the word of Jesus is correct.

Matthew 6:5-8

5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Don't pray in public. Very simple. Don't pray in public. Not at church, which you aren't even supposed to go to, not at events, not at anything besides in private.  Here's a small list of places you should not pray.

Church

Work

School

Events

Further, Jesus tells you EXACTLY how you will pray in the next few passages. Word for word. 

Now, where is the Kingdom of God? He answers us in Luke 17:21

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Alternative translations of this passage are:

"The kingdom of God is among you"

However, it still has the same meaning. In other words, all this work you are doing to get into heaven is nigh, as the Kingdom of God is within/around us. In a very literal sense, it's everything. Sounds pretty Pagan to me.

So let's continue on about the soul. The supposed never-ending entity that continues even after we die. Firstly, to understand the whole thing, you must realize that the word Nephesh, in Hebrew, is soul. It is also:

Life

Creature

Thrist

Hunger

Throat

Being 

Etc.

Pretty much anything and everything that deals with life.

Genesis 2:7

Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man  became a living being. 

We can easily gather, from this, that a person is a living soul. So, what does this even mean? Very simply, according to your book, that a person IS a living soul. That is to say, once a person dies, the soul dies. There is no inbetween in regards to life and death, it is a black and white issue and, as such, your entire basis of the soul relies entirely on life. There is no eternal soul, there is no life after death and your bible clearly states this in the begining.

The entire Bible is Buddhism with a different leader. Since you take this stuff so literally, why don't you examine what it actually says? It's not very hard to walk through the bible in it's initial languages instead of the horribly error filled translations of the KJV.

So, next time I hear any of you praying in public, going to church, or claiming that my soul will burn in hell, I'll simply repeat the scriptures you hold so dear and go on my way.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is an amusing

There is an amusing typographical error in the first paragraph, and you used the word "nigh" when I think you meant another word.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nigh means near. It's an

Nigh means near.
It's an ancient English word, a relic from the days when the King James Bible was written.

lgnsttefrst
User is offlineOffline
I interpret that passage

I interpret that passage from Matthew as saying, "don't play the holy man just to get props from people around you". Numerous other verses in the Bible encourage people to gather and praise God / worship together. Christ himself attended the synagouge, in the context of being a believer, your 1st point is wholly refuted.

Your 2nd point is equally full of holes when looked at from the perspective of a Christian. In the Christian tradition, the New Testament that is, makes many a reference to the eternal soul and heaven, an afterlife, eternal damnation etc. Perhaps an Orthodox Jew would be more shaken by this amazing revelation you have discovered.

It was a good effort on your part to try to use a Christians own canon against them, I can understand why you would interpret the above verses as such, but they are taken out of context from the new testament and those all important "words in red".

All in all a good topic though, clearly outlined points to argue, a concise argument, etc. kudos on the good post dude.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Nigh means

Strafio wrote:
Nigh means near. It's an ancient English word, a relic from the days when the King James Bible was written.

neah / nigh / near

The End Is Nigh

The word nigh has a positive Imminent meaning to it in this context

As in "Well nigh" "Nigh-on" nearly almost

"All this work you are doing to get into heaven is nigh"

In this context the word takes the negative meaning, / almost / not complete / not quite accomplished / Short of the Mark

And it is used correctly

Smiling I am anally retentive am I not

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Gay

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Gay Coleman

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
lgnsttefrst wrote: I

lgnsttefrst wrote:

I interpret that passage from Matthew as saying, "don't play the holy man just to get props from people around you". Numerous other verses in the Bible encourage people to gather and praise God / worship together. Christ himself attended the synagouge, in the context of being a believer, your 1st point is wholly refuted.

Your 2nd point is equally full of holes when looked at from the perspective of a Christian. In the Christian tradition, the New Testament that is, makes many a reference to the eternal soul and heaven, an afterlife, eternal damnation etc. Perhaps an Orthodox Jew would be more shaken by this amazing revelation you have discovered.

It was a good effort on your part to try to use a Christians own canon against them, I can understand why you would interpret the above verses as such, but they are taken out of context from the new testament and those all important "words in red".

All in all a good topic though, clearly outlined points to argue, a concise argument, etc. kudos on the good post dude.

And, as such, you failed to see the point. Jesus said to not pray in public and then instructs people on how to pray. Exactly how to pray. Word for word.

This was for the Christian who says they take the bible word for word yet completely neglect what it actually says. There are no holes, only arguements from one who does not know what is said. It clearly states that you should not pray in public. Very. Simple.

Perhaps you are suggesting that the Jesus character was a hypocrite as he went to synagogues to pray however condems such actions. If so, why trust a hypocrite?

If my arguements are filled with holes, then so is the Bible as I've taken this from there. Not from some vague passages either, especially in regards with what Jesus said about prayer.

My other arguement is a translation one. The word nephesh was turned into soul which, in turn, the soul=life. Without life there would be no soul. If life ends, so does the soul. Very simple. Nephesh also means a plethora of other things as well. Throat=soul would work as well as without a throat there would be no soul.

If you see these arguements as having holes then you see the bible as having holes. 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a very nice job of

That's a very nice job of "cherry picking" you've done here.  Now, sit down and read the whole book and stop verse slinging.

Jesus was a fastidiously observant Jew.  This is made clear from the very beginnings of the Gospels.  As such, he attended Jewish rites regularly.  The Gospels record several instances of Jesus attendance at synagogue or in the Temple.  The purpose of his attendance was to particiapte in public rite or prayer. 

Jesus prays before the decisive moments of his mission:  before his Father's witness to him during hid baptism and Transfiguration, and before his Passion (Lk 3:21, 9:28, 22:41-44).

CrimsonEdge wrote:
  5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Don't pray in public. Very simple. Don't pray in public. Not at church, which you aren't even supposed to go to, not at events, not at anything besides in private...

Further, Jesus tells you EXACTLY how you will pray in the next few passages. Word for word. 

And the whole prayer he goes on to teach, the Lord's Prayer or Our Father is in the plural.  That kinda indicates to me that it's primarily a group prayer to be prayed in community, like mebbe at a church or something.

Another prayer uttered by Jesus in public (Matt 11:25-26):  "At that time, Jesus declared, 'I thank thee, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them unto babes.'"

And another example at the rising of Lazarus recorded in John 11:41-42:  "So they took away the stone.  And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, 'Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.  I knew that thou hearerst me always, but I have said this on account of the people standing by, that they may believe that thous didst send me.'"

Jesus uses teachings showing men praying in the temple (Lk 18:91-14), another pretty public place.

The whole of John 17 is a prayer by Jesus in the presence of the Apostles (ie, in public).

The Book of Acts has several examples of the Apostles (the dudes who tagged along with Jesus, and were the recipients of his most intimate teachings) participating in community prayer.  I'll cite just one from Acts 3:1:  "Now Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour."

Jesus admonition in Matt 6 is against prayer for the sake of self aggrandizement, and is designed to show folks the value of humble prayer.

CrimsonEdge wrote:
Now, where is the Kingdom of God? He answers us in Luke 17:21

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Alternative translations of this passage are:

"The kingdom of God is among you"

However, it still has the same meaning. In other words, all this work you are doing to get into heaven is nigh, as the Kingdom of God is within/around us. In a very literal sense, it's everything. Sounds pretty Pagan to me.

Negative.  Jesus Christ is the King.  The Kingdom is where the King is.  We are all members of that Kingdom.  Jesus makes that clear in Matt 25: 40:  "And the King answered them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me.'"  And Matt 25:45:  "Then he will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of my brethren, you did it not to me.'"  That simple.

CrimsonEdge wrote:
So let's continue on about the soul. The supposed never-ending entity that continues even after we die. Firstly, to understand the whole thing, you must realize that the word Nephesh, in Hebrew, is soul. It is also:

Life

Creature

Thrist

Hunger

Throat

Being 

Etc.

Pretty much anything and everything that deals with life.

Genesis 2:7

Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man  became a living being. 

We can easily gather, from this, that a person is a living soul. So, what does this even mean? Very simply, according to your book, that a person IS a living soul. That is to say, once a person dies, the soul dies. There is no inbetween in regards to life and death, it is a black and white issue and, as such, your entire basis of the soul relies entirely on life. There is no eternal soul, there is no life after death and your bible clearly states this in the begining.

Yes, let's talk about the soul.  

God speaks all of creation into existence with his Word with one exception, man.  He forms man from the "dust of the earth".  The whole universe he lets determine its own course, but man...man he forms with his own hands, he carefully guides the process of creation, because man is precious to him.  Then, he takes one more step when the process is done, he breathes into man the "nefesh", the divine breath of life.  It is God's own breath, his own life, not given by him to any other of the creatures he's made.  Not dogs, nor cats, nor wallabys.  Not Cromagnon man, nor the Neanderthal.  Only man.  That brreath is the Spirit of God, a share of his life.  That's a soul, part of God, holy and immortal and divine, like its source.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote: Negative.

totus_tuus wrote:
Negative. Jesus Christ is the King. The Kingdom is where the King is. We are all members of that Kingdom. Jesus makes that clear in Matt 25: 40: "And the King answered them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me.'" And Matt 25:45: "Then he will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of my brethren, you did it not to me.'" That simple.

That's not what the verse says. Further: Prove it.

God speaks all of creation into existence with his Word with one exception, man. He forms man from the "dust of the earth". The whole universe he lets determine its own course, but man...man he forms with his own hands, he carefully guides the process of creation, because man is precious to him. Then, he takes one more step when the process is done, he breathes into man the "nefesh", the divine breath of life. It is God's own breath, his own life, not given by him to any other of the creatures he's made. Not dogs, nor cats, nor wallabys. Not Cromagnon man, nor the Neanderthal. Only man. That brreath is the Spirit of God, a share of his life. That's a soul, part of God, holy and immortal and divine, like its source.

That's not what the bible says. Further: Prove it. 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
A kingdom is where the king

A kingdom is where the king rules.  Jesus Christ is the King, hence the Kingdom has arrived.  Christ come from the Greek, meaning "annointed one".  Throughout Jewish history kings and prophets were anointed.  Jesus is the last King and greatest prophet.  Matthew's entire Gospel is about the Kingship of Christ.  I suggest you read the whole thing.

In both cases, this is exactly what the verses say.  It is exactly what can be percieved when read in the context of the whole of salvation history.  There's no need to prove it.  Yours is obviously the dubious interpretation of clearly written sentences, no matter whether English, Greek or Hebrew. 

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote: A

totus_tuus wrote:

A kingdom is where the king rules. Jesus Christ is the King, hence the Kingdom has arrived. Christ come from the Greek, meaning "annointed one".

Did Jesus speak Greek?

1)Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

2)"The kingdom of God is among you"

I've often heard "the kingdom" interpreted as a particular state of spirituality at which the soul can arrive. (1).

I've also heard it interpreted as meaning simply the church or the fellowship of Christian brethren. (2)

Perhaps it's a little of both? 

Quote:

Quote:

Negative.  Jesus Christ is the King.  The Kingdom is where the King is.  We are all members of that Kingdom.  Jesus makes that clear in Matt 25: 40:  "And the King answered them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me.'"  And Matt 25:45:  "Then he will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of my brethren, you did it not to me.'"  That simple.

I agree that this passage can't necessarily be shown to mean that the kingdom of heaven means everything on earth. What it does seem to indicate, though, is that the Kingdom of Heaven is located here on earth. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is the earth itself, but the earth is where it lies. It is either in us, or it is among us. So in some way, the Christians themselves are the kingdom of heaven.

But the point is that, if heaven is here on earth, then heaven is not elsewhere. Even if Jesus is ruling over his followers from some other plane of existence at this very moment, it's only logical to conclude that he is not doing it from heaven, since, of course, the Kingdom of Heaven is within/among us. It is here. Therefore, the ever popular magical world, with its pearly gates and streets of gold, is not a place where good people go when they die.

Which version is it? 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: Did

Archeopteryx wrote:
Did Jesus speak Greek?

Perhaps he did.  It certainly wouldn't have been unusual for a Jew of the period to be multi-lingual.  Greek was the "lingua franca" of the ancient world.  The word Christ, though, is taken from the extant ancient new testament texts, which are all in Greek.  None of the Hebrew or Aramaic texts which Matthew's Gospel was probably written in survive.

Quote:
I've often heard "the kingdom" interpreted as a particular state of spirituality at which the soul can arrive. (1).

I've also heard it interpreted as meaning simply the church or the fellowship of Christian brethren. (2)

Perhaps it's a little of both? 

I'd say a little of both, and more (see below).

Quote:
But the point is that, if heaven is here on earth, then heaven is not elsewhere. Even if Jesus is ruling over his followers from some other plane of existence at this very moment, it's only logical to conclude that he is not doing it from heaven, since, of course, the Kingdom of Heaven is within/among us. It is here. Therefore, the ever popular magical world, with its pearly gates and streets of gold, is not a place where good people go when they die.

I disagree.  This plane of existence, this place, this earth is not the primary place for the Kingdom.  Witness the exchange between Jesus and Pilate in John 18:36-38:  "Jesus answered, 'My kingship is not of this world; if it were of this world, my servants would fight, that I might not be handed over to the Jews; but my kingship is not from the world.'  Pilate said to him, 'So you are a king?'  Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king.  For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth.  Every one who is of the truth hears my voice.'  Pilate said to him, 'What is truth?'"

The Kingdom is among us as the King is among us.  But this is not the primary place where the kingdom exists.

lgnsttefrst
User is offlineOffline
Crimson, you are being a

Crimson, you are being a literalist, I'd hazard to guess that the young Christians that come here aren't fundamentalists, so your arugment is lost on people who have grown up hearing a particular interpretation of the Bible.

What you intended to be a broadside on the "knowledge" of christians is ineffective, you still haven't stopped taking the verses you "cherry picked" out of context. Two things are glaringy obvious to me, you either have no knowledge of the religion you are trying to erode, or you are grasping for straws. See totus_tuus post for the explanation of what you are missing.