Pure Atheism?

Sentinel
Sentinel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pure Atheism?

Pure Atheism: What does it have to offer?
by Truth? a.k.a The Gadfly

Atheism gets a bad rap. I think this is so because it is said that Atheism, by itself, has nothing to offer; no creeds, no methods, no tools. When I say this I am not saying that skepticism isn't a tool, or that rationilty isn't either because these tools are available to us whether we are "religious" or not. What I am saying is that most religious people see Atheism as having nothing to offer in the "help me deal with my day" department.

I think the main reason people look to religion is to help them deal with daily life and the human condition. We all suffer, in some way, at some point in our lives. To lead happy, healthy lives, many people seek out ways to alleviate their suffering.

Atheism isn't a philosophy, nor is it a belief, it is a lack thereof. Atheism says, "Hey, you just made that up!" and merely asks for proof. This is the entirety of Atheism, and it isn't an unreasonable position at all. Skepticism IS healthy, but skepticism alone doesn't help people deal with their suffering.

We all face sickness, old age, and death. The pleasures that we enjoy in life, as well as the displeasures do not last; and, physical as well as emotional pain is a given in life. What does pure Atheism offer us as human beings to deal with these issues?

Many people are pleasure seekers, "walking after their own lusts" as crazy ol' Pebble would say (if you don't know who this is, ask me). Pleasures make us feel good, but they are temporary. When pleasure ceases we are displeased and seek once again the "high" of the pleasurable sensory experience. This causes us to be dissatisfied with our state of what I call "just being," and makes our lives (whether you want to admit it or not) unsatisfactory. If "just being" wasn't undesirable, we wouldn't always seek out pleasurable experiences.

Aversion to pain is a natural instinct in pretty much any living thing that can feel it. In humans, we experience not only physical pain, but psychological pains as well. When we experience psychological pain, we tend to not want to deal with it. Some of us build up a dam, hold the pain back. This works for a while, but eventually the dam bursts and everything comes rushing forth all at once, which makes it hard to deal with. Sometimes the mental pain festers like a virus, and causes us to suffer, and those around us to suffer as well. Other times, we cling to the experience, internalize it, and dwell in it.

People can become dissatisfied with their lives when they crave for their life to be filled exlusively with pleasurable experiences. This craving causes us to have a natural aversion to unpleasurable experiences and the pain that is a given in life, which in turn causes us to suffer. Pain and suffering are two completely different experiences. Pain is unavoidable. Suffering is self-created.*

The human desire to live forever (i.e. the concept of the soul/eternal bliss in Heaven), and even the desire to end one's life causes us to suffer, as Noah Levine points out:

We also create suffering for ourselves due to our craving to exist permanently -- that is, our craving for eternal pleasure. When life is good, we want it to go on forever. At other times though, we create suffering for ourselves through our craving to not exist at all -- the craving for nonexistence, which results from the desire to escape from the paoins and difficulties of life. All suicidal tendencies can be understood in the light of this desire to escape from suffering.

Craving is the problem. Desires are natural, but craving -- which is painful -- is the extreme aspect of desire. [a]

I feel that Atheism by itself offers us no tools to help us alleviate the suffering we experience in our daily lives. So what do I suggest we do? I am, after all, an Atheist. I am not, however, a typical hardcore "religion must die" atheist. I do think there are some healthy religions out there (mostly the Eastern variety), that can be very useful in helping us in our daily lives as human beings. Buddhism (Zen to be exact) is my religion of choice for several reasons:

(1) It does not deal in dogmas or theology
(2) Skepticism is encouraged
(3) It does not deal in absolutes
(4) Nothing supernatural is involved
(5) Evolution is not a problem for Buddhism
(6) It does not believe in magic or magical prayers
(7) Buddhism is Atheistic
(Cool It offers human beings a way to minimize/alleviate their suffering
(9) Koans are fucking awesome!
(10) It focuses on the NOW and makes life beautiful
(11) It makes more sense than any other religion

In closing, I would like to say that this blog was not an attack on Atheism, after all, I am an atheist. What I am suggesting is that the hardcore "religion must die" atheists out there take a good look at your position, and take a good look at your lives. Ask yourself, does "pure" Atheism make your life any better? Then you will see my point here. I am not saying that all religions have validity. I think monotheism in general is the hugest piece of trash on Earth. What I am saying is, not ALL religions are bad.

References:
a. Against the Stream: A Buddhist manual for spiritual revolutionaries, by Noah Levine

* note:
If any of you have not viewed my W.W.T.D.D. (What Would Tyler Durden Do) blog, now is the time to do so. Tyler, like the Buddha (a.k.a "Sid&quotEye-wink tells us to "let the chips fall where they may" and to "just let go". If we are constantly seeking pleasure and avoiding pain, we create suffering in our lives. It's that simple.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=194570453&blogID=311627980

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I used to be Christian. 

I used to be Christian.  Then I became atheist.  Oh sure I called myself agnostic for the first few years, but I was an atheist really.

Personally experiencing how religion warps your worldview, and also noticing how religion warps far more muderous minds and their worldview, the only logical conclusion is that religion must die.

You can be Buddhist all you want.  I think of that belief system more as spiritual than religious.  The "pure" religions that are based on such books like the Bible and Koran must die or we will kill each other to extinction eventually.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sentinel, I don't really

Sentinel, I don't really disagree with much of what you've written. You are correct in saying that atheism doesn't offer anything, but I think you're missing some very important pieces to the puzzle.

First, atheists are not all made the same way. There are a few who never picked up religion in the first place. Some thought their way out of religion through logic and reason. Some became disillusioned with religion and are searching for "the true meaning of life." Many atheists have never taken a logic class in their life.

What this means is that there is no template for atheists. Some feel empty, but many don't. There are people like me who became freed mentally when we left religion. When I discovered that I didn't have to waste time pondering "The true meaning of Life," I also discovered that living life was all the meaning I needed!

Having said that, what of the atheists who feel like they need something else in their life? What will they do?

Well, they'll search for it. They'll ask themselves questions, and they'll look for the best answers to the questions. There's one thing they will nearly all share, though -- skepticism. It's not 100% necessary to be an atheist, but you'd have to live in a very peculiar little bubble to not have to question religion at some point in your life. Those who question it and answer "no" are almost all skeptics.

So, what will they find?

Some will find Buddhism. Some will find philanthropy. Environmentalism, meditation, yoga, hedonism, activism, politics, parenting, gardening, education, philosophy, cooking classes, big brother and big sister programs, volunteerism -- All of these are potential answers that people will come up with.

Which one is correct? The one that makes the individual person happy.

This is what atheism has to offer, Sentinel. Atheism gives you the freedom to choose Buddhism because it's the philosophy (I have a hard time calling it a religion, honestly) that makes you happy. For me, it's not necessary, so I have the freedom to not bother with it.

Religion will tell you that your meaning must be Jesus, or Allah, or whatever else they are selling. Religion may pretend to give people choices, but it doesn't. Whatever you define as the meaning of your life must fall under the philosophy of the religion. That is why we want it to end.

Atheism offers nothing directly. The paradox, and the beautiful truth, is that in offering nothing, it allows each and every person to find whatever it is in life that makes them happy. The world is a great big place, and there are almost as many paths to happiness as their are people. Atheism allows every one of them to find their own path.

With every benefit is a cost, of course. The cost of atheism is that people who are not honest with themselves will likely not find what they are looking for. There are no guarantees of happiness in religion or atheism, but at least atheism acknowledges this fact. The burden is entirely on the individual. No claims of a "right to happiness." No waiting around for god to make you happy. If you want happiness, you must create it for yourself. Some will not do it, and that is sad. Nevertheless, the blank slate is there. The pamphlet with no writing on it lets us all discover our own paths.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I'm wondering..... at

What I'm wondering..... at the bottom of that cartoon, is that a lit stick of dynamite?

Somebody really is trying to draw some links between atheism and extreme religiosity!

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
After further pondering of

After further pondering of the Intentional/Conscious/Default Atheist discussion in Freethinking Annonymous I've come to think of Atheism as a symptom rather than a condition in itself. The symptom is a sign of many possible underlying conditions. The underlying condition could be skepticism, rebellion, communism (or another ideology incompatible with theism), or ignorance of religion. In many cases one condition alone will not produce the symptom and there must be other conditions in order for this symptom to show. for the skeptical atheist (the one we're most familiar with) I'd suggest that self-reliance is a required condition, maybe a desire for truth over warm fuzzy ideas. In a religious society then the courage to be different is another condition required.

The positive does not come from atheism, but from the conditions that produce atheism (in the case of the skeptical atheist at least). 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The positive does

Quote:
The positive does not come from atheism, but from the conditions that produce atheism (in the case of the skeptical atheist at least).

Very elegantly phrased.

I like this a lot.  I'm going to adopt it into my arguments.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Very elegantly phrased.

I like this a lot. I'm going to adopt it into my arguments.

Would it be more accurate to say "The positive does not come from atheism, but from the conditions produced by atheism" (though you will find some that disagree -damnable theists!).

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like Paranoid Agnostic's

I like Paranoid Agnostic's diagnosis! Smiling

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Would it be more

Quote:
Would it be more accurate to say "The positive does not come from atheism, but from the conditions produced by atheism" (though you will find some that disagree -damnable theists!).

Damn picky for a guy who insists on leaving terms incompletely defined in his own definitions.

Nevertheless, I will address your complaint.

I think it's possible that your scenario could happen, but I think it's much, much more common for the conditions of skepticism, empiricism, and education/intelligence to produce atheism, since nearly everybody in this country is indoctrinated into some religious thought or other before they are able to rationally think about it.

So, I think it's much more accurate to say that underlying states of mind allow atheism, and that these same conditions are highly conducive to forming positive goals, outlooks, and morals.

Books about atheism

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Interesting post

Interesting post ParanoidAgnostic. I find your claim that skepticism and rebellion are somehow incompatable with religion to be a sweeping and false generalization. The very fact that there is such diversity within the "religious" as you would term it would suggest that both are not true, as would this thing many of you seem to think is an illusion, "the intelligent theologian". If you would like to enter into a dialogue with such a group, I suggest engaging with John Millbank in Theology and Social Theory, or the Radical Orthodoxy movement as a whole. He tracks the emergence of the "secular" through Scottus and Hobbes, showing the "religious," meaning faith based assumptions, that are required for secular claims about the world. Primarily that of the necessity of ontological violence, the potentiallity of being completely unbiased, the rational individual, etc.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buddhism sucks

Buddhism sucks

Sentinel
Sentinel's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Taking refuge" makes the

"Taking refuge" makes the difference between Buddhists and non-Buddhists. It is not even necessary to take refuge in a formal session with a teacher, but it may help to clarify your choice and to remember your commitment.

"How do I become a Buddhist?
Once there was a man called Upali. He was the follower of another religion and he went to the Buddha in order to argue with him and try to convert him. But after talking to the Buddha, he was so impressed that he decided to become a follower of the Buddha.
But the Buddha said: "Make a proper investigation first. Proper investigation is good for a well-known person like yourself."
Upali: "Now I am even more pleased and satisfied when the Lord says to me: 'Make a proper investigation first.' For if members of another religion had secured me as a discipline they would have paraded a banner all around the town saying: 'Upali has joined our religion.' But the Lord says to me: Make a proper investigation first. Proper investigation is good for a well-known person like yourself."
In Buddhism, understanding is the most important thing and understanding takes time. So do not impulsively rush into Buddhism. Take your time, ask questions, consider carefully, and then make your decision. The Buddha was not interested in having a large number of disciples. He was concerned that people should follow his teachings as a result of a careful investigation and consideration of the facts.
From: Good Question, Good Answer by Bhikkhu Shravasti Dhammika

The idea behind taking refuge is that when it starts to rain, we like to find a shelter. The Buddhist shelter from the rain of problems and pain of life is threefold: the Buddha, his teachings (the Dharma) and the spiritual community (the Sangha). Taking refuge means that we have some understanding about suffering, and we have confidence that the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha (the "Three Jewels") can help us. We should however not be taking refuge in Buddhism to avoid problems in this very life, there are many non-religious organisations for that, but we should take refuge to avoid problems in future lives, or even better, to avoid future uncontrolled rebirths.

We like to be free from suffering, now and in future lives. When we understand the frustrating nature of all life, we like to be freed from cyclic existence in general. The best reason would be the wish to free all living (sentient) beings from suffering.

The analogy of sickness is often used; Buddha is the doctor; Dharma is the medicine; Sangha is the nurse; we are the patient; the cure is taking the medicine, which means practising the methods. Taking refuge is like unpacking the medicine and deciding to follow the doctor's advice. "To take refuge in the Buddha is to take refuge in someone who has let go of holding back just as you can do. To take refuge in the dharma is to take refuge in all the teachings that encourage you and nurture your inherent ability to let go of holding back. And to take refuge in the sangha is to take refuge in the community of people who share this longing to let go and open rather than shield themselves.The support we give each other as practitioners is not the usual samsaric support in which we all join the same team and complain about someone else. It's more that you're on your own, completely alone, but it's helpful to know that there are forty other people who are also going through this all by themselves. That's very supportive and encouraging. Fundamentally, even though other people can give you support, you do it yourself, and that's how you grow up in this process, rather than becoming more dependent."
From the book 'Start Where You Are' by Pema Chödrön

THE BUDDHA
Buddha means enlightened, awakened or omniscient One. A Buddha is a person who has purified all defilements and developed all good qualities. A Buddha is totally free from obscurations and suffering after travelling the entire spiritual path. A Buddha started as an ordinary person and generated infinite compassion and equanimity to arrive at a state of highest bliss, and omniscience. But, as the Buddha himself said: "I cannot do but point the way" - if we don't take the medicine, the doctor is helpless, but what better doctor could we have than an omniscient one?

THE DHARMA

Dharma (Sanskrit) or Dhamma (Pali) means doctrine, law or truth. The word Dharma has many different connotations, but in the Buddhist sense, it refers to "what holds back the mind from suffering", or the Buddha's teachings. In this sense, the Dharma is the ultimate medicine against all suffering.

THE SANGHA
The Sangha refers to the spiritual community. It is defined in various ways, like:

- Whole community of ordained and lay Buddhists. This is however not the traditional use.
- More restricted: ordained Buddhist practitioners (monks and nuns).
- Most specific: persons who have direct perception of emptiness (ordained or lay).

The Sangha, are like other travellers on the same spiritual path, but we need their help like nurses with the correct medicine of good advice. They are our spiritual friends who can help us stay on the right path and can share their own experience.

REFUGE VOWS
If we decide to go for refuge in the three jewels, we should also commit ourselves to the path we choose by keeping vows.
The one mandatory vow, always implicit in taking refuge, is not wanting to harm other sentient beings. Please note that depending on tradition and teacher, some differences can appear in the exact definitions of the vows.

Optional other vows are:

1. Not killing: refers to humans and animals; it is both harming sentient beings.
2. Not stealing: not taking what is not given; (this includes not paying taxes).
3. No sexual misconduct: refers usually to committing adultery (having sex with others when married).
4. Not lying: refers usually to not lying about spiritual attainments, but can include all lying.
5. No intoxicants; refers traditionally to alcohol, but anything robbing clarity of mind (like drugs) is usually included.

"Question: What is the difference between making a commitment by formally taking refuge (and precepts) and simply not harming? Why is the formal commitment important?
Answer: Suppose you make a commitment never to kill a dragon. Most people will never see a dragon in their entire lives; some think dragons don't exist. So, you might ask, why would anyone make a commitment not to kill a dragon? If you never kill a dragon, you aren't creating any non-virtue, yet at the same time you're not creating any virtue (merit). From the day you make a commitment not to kill a dragon, and continue to uphold that commitment, you're accumulating virtue. In taking refuge, you accumulate great virtue minute by minute as you uphold your vows.
From Chagdud Tulku: Gates to Buddhist Practice: Essential Teachings of a Tibetan Master

REFUGE ADVICE
1. Primary guidelines

a. To actualise refuge in:
- Buddha: commit yourself to one master, the Buddha
- Dharma: listen, study and practice Dharma to overcome your own delusions
- Sangha: respect Sangha and train in accordance with their example

b. Try to:
- subdue the body, speech and mind, instead of letting our senses rule us, do not speak harsh, sceptical and avoid being judgmental.
- practice ethics and vows.
- be kind and considerate to any living being.
- make special offerings on two special days of the year: the 15th of 4th lunar month (around May), to celebrate birth, enlightenment and passing away of the Buddha, and on the 4th of 6th lunar month (around July) to celebrate the first turning of the wheel - or the first teachings of the Buddha on the 4 Noble Truths in Sarnath.

2. Secondary guidelines

Referring to the refuge in the:
- Buddha: do not follow other, lower beings as ultimate spiritual guides.
- Dharma: do not harm or upset humans or animals.
- Sangha: do not be negatively influenced by any extremists or others opposing our beliefs

To show respect to the:
- Buddha: respect all images of the Buddha, treat these as if they are Buddhas.
- Dharma: respect texts, treat them with utmost care.
- Sangha: respect even piece of robes and all who wear robes (despite behaviour)

3. Six points of training:

1. Take refuge in the Three Jewels, do not seek the source of your happiness and problems outside yourself.
2. Offer the first part of food or drink to the triple gem, by blessing it before eating or drinking by reciting "Om Ah Hum".
3. Encourage others to become inner beings (Buddhists) and to take refuge; but only when one is asked for advice.
4. Recite the refuge prayer 3x in the day and 3x in the night.
5. Follow the example of the Three Jewels, rely on them as the only trustworthy refuge objects.
6. Never lose faith in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha.

THE REFUGE PRAYER
Traditional Refuge Prayers

Namo Buddhaya
Namo Dharmaya
Namo Sanghaya

I go for refuge to the Buddha,
I go for refuge to the Dharma,
I go for refuge to the Sangha.

or, the Tibetan (Mahayana) version:

Until I am enlightened,
I go for refuge to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Through the virtue I create by practising giving and the other perfections,
may I become a Buddha to benefit all sentient beings.

Refuge Prayer by Thich Nhat-Hanh

At the foot of the Bodhi tree, beautifully seated, peaceful and smiling,
the living source of understanding and compassion, to the Buddha I go for refuge.
The path of mindful living, leading to healing, joy, and enlightenment,
the way of peace, to the Dhamma I go for refuge.
The loving and supportive community of practice, realizing harmony, awareness, and liberation,
to the Sangha I go for refuge.
I am aware that the Three Gems are within my heart, I vow to realize them.
I vow to practice mindful breathing and smiling, looking deeply into things.
I vow to understand living beings and their suffering, to cultivate compassion and loving kindness,
and to practice joy and equanimity.
I vow to offer joy to one person in the morning and to help relieve the grief of one person in the afternoon.
I vow to live simply and sanely, content with just a few possessions, and to keep my body healthy.
I vow to let go of all worry and anxiety in order to be light and free.
I am aware that I owe so much to my parents, teachers, friends and all beings.
I vow to be worthy of their trust, to practice wholeheartedly,
so that understanding and compassion will flower,
and I can help living beings be free from their suffering.
May the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha support my efforts.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha