Al Gore: 15 ways to avert a climate crisis

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Al Gore: 15 ways to avert a climate crisis

With the same humor and humanity he exuded in An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore spells out 15 ways we can address climate change, from buying a hybrid car to inventing a hotter brand name for global warming. First, though, comes a hilarious set of stories from The New Gore, who turns out to be a stand-up comedian. The former Vice President has plenty of joke material, and he's funnier than you've ever seen him. Then he gets down to grittier matters with a list of actions ordinary people can take to stem the tide of global warming. His message: Doing something is easier than you think.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
This may have been an old

This may have been an old video since he mentioned something about after the movie comes out so any criticisms of his presentation may be out of date.  I was disappointed about the focus on carbon offsetting.  Going to the website and calculating the figures my result was 3.7 tons/year recommending I spend $48 in offsets.

The problem is the companies selling the carbon offsets are for-profit companies subsidizing other companies which may be for-profit.  Therefore there is a substantial percentage going into someone's pocket rather than programs reducing carbon output.

So I recommend that you take the money that would go to one of these programs and spend it on improved efficiency for your own home, or buy CFLs for someone who doesn't have them so the middleman is cut out and you can see direct results.  Or better yet, take the money and invest in green mutual funds like the Calvert fund.  Therefore you'll not only be supporting socially responsible companies but you can make a profit as well.

So far carbon offsets is a means for companies to whitewash their own pollution by claiming that they are carbon neutral when, in reality, they still pollute as much as they always have.  I really prefer hearing stories like McDonalds running it's fleet on biodiesel (sadly only in the UK) rather than Pepsi not making a change but claiming they are environmentally friendly simply because they gave a million dollars to a company which will skim off it's profit and give the rest to another company. 

Randy777
User is offlineOffline
Explain

Explain to me why the south pole is growing .  Explain why ,when the glaciers receed they find human remains of villiages . Explain why the early show apologized for being biased and bad reporting on this subject.  God bless

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Randy777 wrote:Explain to me

Randy777 wrote:

Explain to me why the south pole is growing .  Explain why ,when the glaciers receed they find human remains of villiages . Explain why the early show apologized for being biased and bad reporting on this subject.  God bless

Um the south pole growing fits the latest model of global warming

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16988-why-antarctic-ice-is-growing-despite-global-warming.html

I don't know if it is true, but you should find your answer in there.

Can you provide a link about the remains of villages? i can't find much on it.

And the last one is because they are human... really has nothing to do with global warming is true or false.

Just for the record i don't know if it is true or false, but there agenda has simalar goals to my own so I tend to support them.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.