Global Warming as seen by Institute for Creeation Research

drobine
User is offlineOffline
Global Warming as seen by Institute for Creeation Research

I don't know about you all, but I enjoy browsing the icr.org website. Here is a delightful article:

Quote:

Study: Giant Kangaroos Killed by Drought
by Lawrence Ford

“Giant kangaroos and wombats bigger than cars which once roamed Australia were killed by climate change and not human hunters,” Reuters reported this week.

According to a study released by Australian scientists, megafauna—giant kangaroos measuring eight feet tall, wombats as large as automobiles, and other enormous creatures—died not at the hands of Aboriginal hunters, as once believed, but by long-term drought.

Dr. Gregory Webb of Queensland University of Technology stated that Australia has been getting drier “for about the last half-million years.” His research with Dr. Gilbert Price in southeast Queensland has allegedly shown that “a steady warming of Australia’s climate” drove the animals to extinction.

Robb Taylor of Reuters adds: “Scientists have said that Australia must brace itself for long-term climate change and water shortages due to the accelerating pace of global warming.”

Global warming is hotly debated among scientists and politicians today, and not all scientists agree with Dr. Webb’s conclusions about the megafauna.

Dr. Larry Vardiman, an atmospheric scientist with the Institute for Creation Research in San Diego, gives a different perspective on the research conducted in Queensland:

It is commonly believed by the conventional scientific community that dinosaurs and many other species died out during short-period catastrophic episodes during earth history over millions of years. One of the most frequently mentioned catastrophic episodes was the impact of asteroids some 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous Period. The Cretaceous Period was a warm, moist period of history during which dinosaurs flourished, followed by cooler, drier conditions. However, the end of the Cretaceous Period may not have been 65 million years ago as conventional scientists think.

When could this change have occurred? Dr. Vardiman continues:

It could have been only a few thousand years ago when the Bible says the earth was devastated by a global flood in the time of Noah. Before this event the earth was warm and moist. After the global flood, the earth went through a devastating ice age followed by a slow warming and major drying of the earth. It is likely that most of the dinosaurs were killed in the Flood and the few that were released from the Ark could not live in the changed climate conditions after the Flood.

How does one account for the vast differences in time calculations?

“The same information about the extinction of the dinosaurs,” Vardiman states, “can be explained from two different perspectives depending upon the assumptions of the scientist."

Aren't they fun? I wish they would open up their website to comments from outsiders!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's amazing how desperately

It's amazing how desperately some people cling to bullshit.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's that?  Christian

What's that?  Christian scientists employed by Christian organizations spewing Bible bullshit and calling it science?  I'm sure they are very respected in the scientific community.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

TheSage
TheSage's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read an article not long

I read an article not long ago that was related to the moratorium on showing 'An Inconvenient Truth' in American schools. In it, a student's mother said something along the lines of "But the Bible says it'll be warmer towards the end, near the rapture."

I think she'd been listening to a church pastor instead of actually reading the Bible, because I don't recall anything to do with the Earth getting warmer apart from, you know, on the day of rapture itself when the prince of darkness is said to be cast into the fiery sulfurous pit...

Isn't it disturbing that Christians would be okay with the idea of the Earth getting warmer and nearing apocalyptic conditions just because of some misguided death-wish, in which they go to heaven and the sinners burn, but really everyone just DIES!? They want to go to heaven without killing themselves- committing suicide -so they just ignore the warning signs.

I actually think that's a kind of suicide. Passive suicide... I have coined a new term! Cool

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
drobine wrote: It is likely

drobine wrote:
It is likely that most of the dinosaurs were killed in the Flood and the few that were released from the Ark could not live in the changed climate conditions after the Flood.

Then by the miracle of the Ark which was to preserve all the kinds of animals in the world, why even bother with the ones that would never survive the new climate? 

drobine wrote:
How does one account for the vast differences in time calculations? “The same information about the extinction of the dinosaurs,” Vardiman states, “can be explained from two different perspectives depending upon the assumptions of the scientist."

One can most definately get different answers from evidence if you assume a certain answer first and work to prove it right.  That is why the scientific method assumes an answer and works to prove it wrong.   

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.