Seasteading

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seasteading

Alas, a topic that isn't about doom and gloom and the end of the world.
I also posted this on the FTT forums.

Now, onto the main topic: Seasteading. I don't think anybody here has ever heard of this. Very few people have.

There's a group that's trying to build self-sufficient floating platforms for people to live on, and colonize the oceans.

It's related to the environment somewhat, so I figured I'd post it here.

http://www.seastead.org/

Basically they want to make a big, bouyant platform with a heavy weight underwater to keep it upright, that will be able to exist in the middle of the ocean with minimal reliance upon land.

The top floor is a big garden to provide food, you could also fish for food, it would have solar panels (or possibly wind or wave power) to provide electricity (which can be used to electrolyze water to generate hydrogen fuel for cooking), desalination facilities to provide water, and solid waste would fertilize the garden. That's pretty damn green if you ask me.

With the world population where it is, and with no new landmasses to discover, and with so much ocean out there totally unused, seasteading looks like a good idea. It would be a solution to overpopulation by increasing the total useable liveable area in the world.

The budget looks almost affordable as well. Their estimated cost of "Coaststead", a small seastead that would likely go in San Francisco bay, is $495,157 which is about as much as a decent middle-class home. Even doubling to account for unforseen costs it we get about $1 million, which really isn't out of reach for people that know how to handle their money properly. If enough were demanded, a mass production venture could probably greatly reduce the cost, perhaps to $300,000 per unit.

I really hope they succeed at what they're doing.

jmack
User is offlineOffline
I want one!

I want one!

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me too. If they could be

Me too. If they could be made for cheap enough, one of those things would rock. Screw a boat and a mansion. I want something modern and different.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I don't think space is an

I don't think space is an issue as much as enough food to go around. It looks like they have the food part covered though. Personally I'm too much of a land lover to live on one of these things, but I would think a lot of the tech going into this could be used in land based systems. I have also heard of things sort of like this but moveable.